This is a twist made from the same ingredients as the Black and Brown Irish X. It has additional maple flavoring added during manufacture. Again, this is a very strong tobacco as it does not undergo the pressure cooking process.

BrandGawith, Hoggarth & Co.
Blended ByGawith, Hoggarth & Co.
FlavoringMaple
CutRope
Strength
Very Strong, Extremely Strong
Taste
Full, Very Full
Pleasant to Tolerable, Strong

3.8
Knightsmoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Knightsmoker (37)
Very Strong Mild Full Pleasant to Tolerable

OK, the base tobacco is the same as Brown Irish X so my review there might be helpful. This is a strong tobacco and the added element of maple adds a little sweetness and once in a while a little extra sweetness is nice in a blend like this. The maple, however, does not linger on the tongue for long which is a good thing IMO. As far as aros go this is one of my favorites but the wife hates the room note. I would still give BIX the edge but this is nice and I will probably pick up a few oz. to have on hand for when the mood for strong but a little more sweet strikes me.

Pipe Used: small bent billard

Age When Smoked: about 6 months

cobacco Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
cobacco (23)
Very Strong Mild Very Full Strong

So I'm in love! Problem is, will my taste buds ever settle for less? I carefully sliced, unwound and dried a bit too much for a small bowl, so I ignored the warnings and smoked a medium sized bowl of this wonderful stuff. I was spoiled by the delicious, rich flavor, and I couldn't stop till I completely killed that bowl. But I walked away with glassy eyes and a smirk on my face (no EMTs this time).

The false light is very sweet and reminds me of the first few puffs of a sweet cigar. The relight was only slightly persnickety (thanks Zippo) and in a few minutes the Twist was in its prime. The maple flavor is definitely there and gentle sips across the top and sides of my tongue did have a mild maple taste. Maple Twist is an aromatic, but it's sort of a inbetweener and just an hour after smoking there was no ghosting of the pipe that I could detect.

I bought a bottle of Jim Beam Maple to try with Maple Twist, but I'm not sure if it's wise to pair the two... Guess I'll just have to try it. I definitely recommend using a small bent pipe with a pipe cleaner to keep the stem dry as you smoke the twist. I've got some balsa filters that I'd like to try next time. And I do want to stay with a smaller pipe next time because this stuff is so delicious that I don't want to stop! I would strongly urge anyone who is on the fence to go ahead and try this Jaguar of tobaccos.

PS. I know that there's some concerns about room note, but one interesting thing that I noticed is the lack of any strong odors in my beard after smoking Maple Twist. I like the idea of being able to enjoy a punchy tobacco like this without feeling like a human ashtray afterwards. Just cant say enough good things...

Pipe Used: MM Bent Great Dane Egg (Cob)

Smoke_Ring Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note

Burn = 9;

After Taste = 9;

Raw Score = 54;

Rated Percentage = 90%;

Comment = Smooth, Very Strong Strength, Nice Full Body Flavor, Lots of Nicotine, this blend will Knock you on your Butt.

If you are one who likes to “play” with your tobacco, by all means get this “Twist” form of tobacco, you can spend countless hours “Slicing, Dicing and Drying” this “Twist” tobacco before it is ready to smoke. I admit I am a lazy pipe smoker so I didn't find this necessary extra preparation exercise to be of any value to heighten my pipe smoking enjoyment. You had better have a sizable ignition source on hand because you are going to need a lot of BTU's to get this “Twist” tobacco to light. Once you achieve the first ignition you will need to have your best “Tamping Tool” at the ready to handle the endless re-packings and re-lights that this “Twist” form of tobacco requires. Perhaps you have detected that the “Twist” form of tobacco is not my “cup of tea”.

scottyspipesebay Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
scottyspipesebay (25)
Strong Very Mild Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Yes, this is quite excellent. Every bit as good as my favorite Brown Irish X, BUT for now I will stay with my Irish, as I have several ounces cellaring and like it just slightly better. Just used to it, I suppose. The only difference I can tell is that it DOES have a very light maple hint to it that ends quite quickly, but that's it.

See my review for Brown Irish X (Brown Irish Twist) and you will have my review for this, as I would treat it the exact same way, as well as using for blending.

Here's a quicky update: Try adding 1/3 good blending Cyprian Latakia to this. It mellows it down to a very soft smoke that is complex and in no way overly strong. A great light-sweet room note and super tasty palate. A light-sweet mahogany edge, and the Cyp Lat will add a light smokiness, too.

Smoke pinched amounts in a nice small slender bowl, and SIP IT. Em Em good, to the end. No tar or dottle, whatsoever. SIP!

Capt Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Capt (120)
Medium to Strong Very Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

I sent am email to TR to add this tobacco hoping to be the first to review it, but since it took me so long to finish the 2oz I like to smoke to review a blend, Blackhorse beat me to it! However, great job on your part!

Maple here is very subtle, but there. Not a cloying sweet like PG soaked aros, but a high quality maple extract. A perfectly spun rope, which is easy to slice and rub out. I do not find this over the top strong, but enough to know you are smoking a G&H rope. None of that strong motor oil quailities some ropes possess. If you are looking to venture into the rorld of ropes, don't forget to give this one a go!

Blackhorse Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Blackhorse (70)
Extremely Strong Mild Very Full Strong

Gee...numero uno! I feel a great burden to provide an incisive, substantive and accurate appraisal of this noteworthy blend...bringing forward all of its subtle nuances. Well, if there WERE any! KIDDING! Really...another amazing and 'to die for' twist from Gawaith & Hogwarts...with a very slight sweetness and equally subtle maple thing - just enough to take the edge off the Brown Twist. Just close your eyes and imagine the Rum Twist or the Whiskey Twist...now QUICK...swap in a hint of Maple. You got it! Way to go. OH YEAH! And BTW: like the others, small bowl...or prepare to have the EMT guy hand your butt to you. OH and BTW #2: for me, all these twists do really well with DGT. Just sayin'.