Patroon Island is a narrow strip of land in the Hudson River which now acts as support for the crossing of I-90 over the river. We start with nutty Burley, sweet Virginia and the subtle brown sugar notes of Green River black Cavendish and finish it with a warm, smooth vanilla flavor. Close your eyes, picture the river rushing by, and enjoy the amazing aroma.

BrandHearth & Home
Packaging1.5oz Tin, 8oz Tin
Strength
Taste
2.0

My first encounter with Patroon Island was at last year's West Coast Pipe Show. My wife had just taken up pipe smoking so I was given a large sample for her to try. She quickly decided that my English blends were to her fancy so rather than toss the sample, I fired up a bowl, and the another and so on. PI is a well made aromatic with great flavor. It didn't bite whatsoever and it became my dessert tobacco for the remainder of the trip. This was my third experience with the premium aromatic Landmark Series from P&C and all of them have been easy to pack, not goopy nor bitter. They smoke best with a fair amount of "dry time." Three and a half stars!

zwolanek Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
zwolanek (18)
Mild Medium Mild Pleasant

I am a big fan of Russ and I think many people will enjoy this offering, but not me. I post this because no one else has offered a review. If others find me completely wrong, I will delete this opinion.

To me, this is Lane's 1-Q. It looks, smells, tastes, burns, and BITES ME like Lane's 1-Q. I couldn't finish the second bowl. Like Lane's 1-Q.

Now there are LOTS of people who LOVE Lane's 1-Q, and for whom 1-Q offers no bite. Not me.

And, as I've posted before, I tire of bitey aromatics. I'm getting to the point where it goes beyond disappointment past frustration to downright anger.

To me, Butternut Burley and Trout Stream are real standouts and prove that goop and bite are purely optional. No goop with Patroon, but plenty of BITE.