PipesAndCigars

As the first addition to the H&H Marquee series in 2012, we are thrilled to offer a real Latakia-lover's blend which we created in honor of International Pipe Smoking Day 2012. The initial response was so strong, that we worked hard to obtain the components to make more. Loaded with Cyprian Latakia and enhanced with Perique, Orientals, Virginia and Dark-Fired Kentucky, this is a full-flavored, cool-smoking treat!

BrandHearth & Home
Blended ByRuss Ouellette
Manufactured ByPipes & Cigars
ContentsKentucky, Latakia, Oriental/Turkish, Perique, Virginia
Packaging2oz Tin
Where to Buy PipesAndCigars
Strength
Taste
Medium to Full, Full
Pleasant to Tolerable, Tolerable

3.8

I received some generous samples from Russ Ouellette at the Newark Pipe Show recently and Cerebus was one of them. Cerebus is the latest entry into Hearth & Home's top quality Marquee Series, joining the two other English blends, Magnum Opus and Black House. The pouch scent is leathery and smoky with no hint of sweetness. The chopped ribbons are mainly dark brown and black with a smattering of Virginias. From the appearance, my first thought was that this would be a Latakia heavy blend and it is, but from the first match, it becomes clear that the Oriental flavors are going to run the show. The Latakia just plays a solid supporting role even though there is more Latakia in the blend. I didn't get very much sweetness from the Virginia tobacco. Cerebus is a creamy, cool English blend. The strength doesn't build very much as the bowl progresses. It's isn't as strong or complex IMHO as Black House, even with the addition of the dark fired. The taste is on the full side. Cerebus is another example of Mr. Ouellette's blending skill as the Marquee Series really showcases H&H's top shelf tobaccos. Highly Recommended!

bteddy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bteddy (20)

Picked up this on a whim when as an adjunct to English-American blends. While not quite in that category, this little gem works great for my taste. Described as a Latakia lover's blend on the label, it is not, so don't be scared off by the description. This great tasting blend favors more of the Oriental, Virginia taste with a good, but not overpowering, hint of Cyprian Latakia, just enough to satisfy. A slightly sweet undertone finishes the mix. This just may be my go-to blend. Fans of Maltese Falcon will enjoy this change of pace. Smoked this in my favorite Armentrout pipe, I want more! Highly recommended

Medium None Detected Full Tolerable

I himmed and hawed for two days about ordering a few tins of the IPSD 2012 offering and it proved too long a delay as they sold out quick. So I jumped on ordering a couple tins of Cerberus upon its release. Just finished the first one and cracked the second one after a 7 month rest.

I enjoyed the blend and do recommend, but was surprised to see this one carrying a four star rating. It is high in Latakia, but that shouldn't be a surprise as it is clearly stated as such on the description. It is pretty smooth however with the proper cadence. The quality of the product is great as one would expect from this blender. It lights and smokes great, cool and a bowl last s along time.

To me it has an incense like quality that I found very unique and I do recommend it as such, but It doesn't quite hit the four star for me. Perhaps my mind will change as I near the end of this tin. I have found it growing on me with each bowl smoked as I think I would be at a touch over two stars on my first bowl. But with anything unique, the first bowl is kind of a WTH is this type of moment. YMMV of course. Only way to find out is to try and do recommend so doing.

ab8137 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ab8137 (1)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This was my first heavy latakia blend and I liked it. Opening the tin offers a pleasant aroma quite smooth and inviting. I was expecting something more acrid and harsh so my first impression was very positive. A bit moist so I aired it out for 5 hours or so. Lit very easily and was easy to keep smoking. The first half of the bowl smoked cool and mild with a great campfire aroma. It built a lot of power as I progressed through the 2nd half. Not harsh but lots of flavor and strength. I have a feeling this will get even better after cellaring for a few months. Can't wait!

serif365 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
serif365 (19)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

Cerberus smokes smooth and creamy throughout the bowl. The Latakia is noticeable and the Perique hovers in the background. I love this tobacco. The flavor is sweet with a hint of spiciness in the back of the throat. I've ordered a second tin for the "cellar" and highly recommend this blend.

haiku44 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
haiku44 (4)
Strong None Detected Very Full Tolerable to Strong

This is the first latakia blend that I have liked. It smoked very cool and smooth with now bite, even when pushed fairly hard. Smokes down to ashes with no effort at all. Would be a great latakia blend for a newb to pipes and pipe tobacco.

Sir Tampsalot Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sir Tampsalot (2)
Mild to Medium Mild Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Got a sample of this from P&C with my last order. Very full & very tasty. Holds it's smoky,toasty flavor all the way down. Reminiscent of Frog Morton OTT but a tad stronger. A good name for this blend would have been "A strong frog". A very good blend that I'll include with my next order.

rintrah Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
rintrah (6)
Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable

Sample from Chicago Pipe Show 2012. Good leaf. Recommend it.