As the first addition to the H&H Marquee series in 2012, we are thrilled to offer a real Latakia-lover's blend which we created in honor of International Pipe Smoking Day 2012. The initial response was so strong, that we worked hard to obtain the components to make more. Loaded with Cyprian Latakia and enhanced with Perique, Orientals, Virginia and Dark-Fired Kentucky, this is a full-flavored, cool-smoking treat!

BrandHearth & Home
Blended ByRuss Ouellette
Manufactured ByPipes & Cigars
Blend TypeOriental
ContentsKentucky, Latakia, Oriental/Turkish, Perique, Virginia
Packaging2oz Tin
Where to Buy PipesAndCigars

I received some generous samples from Russ Ouellette at the Newark Pipe Show recently and Cerebus was one of them. Cerebus is the latest entry into Hearth & Home's top quality Marquee Series, joining the two other English blends, Magnum Opus and Black House. The pouch scent is leathery and smoky with no hint of sweetness. The chopped ribbons are mainly dark brown and black with a smattering of Virginias. From the appearance, my first thought was that this would be a Latakia heavy blend and it is, but from the first match, it becomes clear that the Oriental flavors are going to run the show. The Latakia just plays a solid supporting role even though there is more Latakia in the blend. I didn't get very much sweetness from the Virginia tobacco. Cerebus is a creamy, cool English blend. The strength doesn't build very much as the bowl progresses. It's isn't as strong or complex IMHO as Black House, even with the addition of the dark fired. The taste is on the full side. Cerebus is another example of Mr. Ouellette's blending skill as the Marquee Series really showcases H&H's top shelf tobaccos. Highly Recommended!

Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

The Virginia is a little grassy and earthy sweet, but is a minor player. The perique is also a supporting actor with some raisin, fig and spice. There's a lot of smokey, woodsy sweet Cyprian latakia here, but it doesn't over take the other tobaccos. The dark fired Kentucky plays back up, but I notice it from time to time. The Oriental/Turkish is also smokey and woodsy with a hint of sweet spice, and nearly commands the experience. Burns smooth, cool, and creamy with no harsh or dull notes, but leaves a slight bit of moisture at the finish. Not much sweetness here, but it does offer a pleasing toasty, campfire feeling when you smoke it.

bteddy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bteddy (23)

Picked up this on a whim when as an adjunct to English-American blends. While not quite in that category, this little gem works great for my taste. Described as a Latakia lover's blend on the label, it is not, so don't be scared off by the description. This great tasting blend favors more of the Oriental, Virginia taste with a good, but not overpowering, hint of Cyprian Latakia, just enough to satisfy. A slightly sweet undertone finishes the mix. This just may be my go-to blend. Fans of Maltese Falcon will enjoy this change of pace. Smoked this in my favorite Armentrout pipe, I want more! Highly recommended

WhiskeyPete107 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
WhiskeyPete107 (1)
Medium to Strong None Detected Extra Full Strong

This blend is now my new favorite. As far as I'm concerned it's perfectly blended if you love Latakia prominent blends. It's heavy with just the right amount of Perique and orientals to give it an amazing flavor profile. I'm not quite sure why blackhouse is the favorite of this series when this exists. Fine with me though. Makes it easier to get. Excellent aftertaste as well. There is so much flavor here that to me it's an aromatic for English lovers. Great stuff!

Pipe Used: Many

Purchased From: P&C

Medium None Detected Full Tolerable

I himmed and hawed for two days about ordering a few tins of the IPSD 2012 offering and it proved too long a delay as they sold out quick. So I jumped on ordering a couple tins of Cerberus upon its release. Just finished the first one and cracked the second one after a 7 month rest.

I enjoyed the blend and do recommend, but was surprised to see this one carrying a four star rating. It is high in Latakia, but that shouldn't be a surprise as it is clearly stated as such on the description. It is pretty smooth however with the proper cadence. The quality of the product is great as one would expect from this blender. It lights and smokes great, cool and a bowl last s along time.

To me it has an incense like quality that I found very unique and I do recommend it as such, but It doesn't quite hit the four star for me. Perhaps my mind will change as I near the end of this tin. I have found it growing on me with each bowl smoked as I think I would be at a touch over two stars on my first bowl. But with anything unique, the first bowl is kind of a WTH is this type of moment. YMMV of course. Only way to find out is to try and do recommend so doing.

Skibbereen Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Skibbereen (12)
Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This is a bit stronger than Magnum Opus to start. It is a little stronger on the throat...but a little milder on the nostrils. is a little more stepped up in flavor and taste. I say it would be a tremendous choice after a perfect steak dinner followed by a nice Irish or Scottish single malt. It starts to mellow a bit about 1/3 down the bowl. Another excellent blend by Russ O. It relaxes quite a bit on the throat as it progresses past the first third of the bowl. But the tremendous flavor hangs in there threw out the whole bowl. If you are in for a bit stronger version of Magnum this...pack it up...and revel in it.

Pipe Used: Peterson Aran 80S

Age When Smoked: Fresh from the Postman

Similar Blends: Hearth & Home - Magnum OPUS (Marquee Series), Sobranie of London - The Balkan Sobranie.

HOW's Barking Dog with more flavor, better leaf, more strength and more Burley. I think it is a blend that traditional English fans may not go for, but those who enjoy Burley and Latakia will appreciate greatly. The Perique is far off in the background but can be detected. A very cool burning smoke.

Lit a Kia Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Lit a Kia (62)
Very Strong None Detected Very Full Very Strong

A few light pieces of ribbon, otherwise very dark in the tin.

Smell is campfire, burnt cedar, leather. Lots of smoke and leather.

Thick plumes of naturally full-flavored smoke. Took a match well and didn't need many relights. Solid dose of nicotine.

Strong/complex flavor and aroma with a rough edge; borders on a cigarette or cigar-like taste and aroma. Suspect the Kentucky, but who knows? Could be the Orientals and/or Perique too.

A bit too heavy for me; I prefer Russ' slightly mellower Magnum Opus and a good bit mellower White Knight to this one by far. Quality product though, and definitely something lovers of Kentucky and especially stout English blends should try.

(Steel Cowboy opined that this is not as strong as Black House. I haven't done a side-by-side comparison, but based on memory, I found Black House a bit mellower; probably due to the lower KY component? But he'll get no argument from me that this is yet another fine example of Russ's blending skills.)

Similar Blends: MacBaren HH Syrian.

ab8137 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ab8137 (1)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This was my first heavy latakia blend and I liked it. Opening the tin offers a pleasant aroma quite smooth and inviting. I was expecting something more acrid and harsh so my first impression was very positive. A bit moist so I aired it out for 5 hours or so. Lit very easily and was easy to keep smoking. The first half of the bowl smoked cool and mild with a great campfire aroma. It built a lot of power as I progressed through the 2nd half. Not harsh but lots of flavor and strength. I have a feeling this will get even better after cellaring for a few months. Can't wait!

serif365 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
serif365 (21)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

Cerberus smokes smooth and creamy throughout the bowl. The Latakia is noticeable and the Perique hovers in the background. I love this tobacco. The flavor is sweet with a hint of spiciness in the back of the throat. I've ordered a second tin for the "cellar" and highly recommend this blend.

haiku44 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
haiku44 (4)
Strong None Detected Very Full Tolerable to Strong

This is the first latakia blend that I have liked. It smoked very cool and smooth with now bite, even when pushed fairly hard. Smokes down to ashes with no effort at all. Would be a great latakia blend for a newb to pipes and pipe tobacco.

Sir Tampsalot Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sir Tampsalot (2)
Mild to Medium Mild Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Got a sample of this from P&C with my last order. Very full & very tasty. Holds it's smoky,toasty flavor all the way down. Reminiscent of Frog Morton OTT but a tad stronger. A good name for this blend would have been "A strong frog". A very good blend that I'll include with my next order.

King Weed Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
King Weed (68)

I agree with reviewer Lit a Kia 2014-12-14 that this mixture is somewhat like Mac Baren's HH Vintage Syrian, but narrower in range. HHVS certainly has more perique than Cerberus, but the other difference is in the lighter colored base tobaccos in HHVS that cover a wider range and give it a sweeter roundness. I also agree with reviewer Pipestud 2015-03-04 that most of us will not identify Cerberus as a traditional English blend. Opening the tin you see a mixture that is very narrow in it's color range; almost uniformly a monochrome dark umber brown. The smoking qualities of this blend are also confined to a rather narrow range at the top of the bell-shaped curve. Compared to HHVS it smokes somewhat flatly and never strays very far from that median taste and aroma position already mentioned. I don't find anything overtly wrong with this blend but, on the other hand, I don't find anything that makes it stand out from it's very crowded medium English field. I don't feel that Russ Oulette has erred here but, more, that he designed this mixture to satisfy those English smokers who desire a middle-of-the-road, lower perique, higher latakia, burley-dominated smoke. I prefer HH Vintage Syrian to Cerberus - three stars.

Pipe Used: Charatan Selected 44

Age When Smoked: current

Purchased From: pipes and cigars

Similar Blends: Mac Baren HH Vintage Syrian.

S8ntsfan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
S8ntsfan (2)

After a mistake with an order from P& back in 2012, my order was corrected and they generously included a sample of Cerberus. Although I was grateful, I suspected it was something they couldn't get rid of and through this tin in. How wrong was i, and I keep at least two tins on hand at all times. Great tobacco.

Pipe Used: Neerup, Missouri Meerschaum, Peterson

Purchased From:

rintrah Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
rintrah (6)
Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable

Sample from Chicago Pipe Show 2012. Good leaf. Recommend it.