Red and light Virginias combined with a good dose of Louisiana Perique.

Blend TypeVirginia/Perique
ContentsPerique, Virginia
Packaging50g. Tin
Mild to Medium, Medium to Full

Based on about 1.25 oz gifted to me. Nice looking light brown with some blonde mottling. Flakes were neither too thin nor too fat and even a fumble fingers like myself could easily fold and stuff or rub out. I did not taste any difference in the two loads but of course it smoked slower when folded. The tin note offered up a non-descript aroma that gave no clues as to what was inside. As an interesting sidebar, this dried out pretty fast in the tin once opened. I transferred to a small glass jar early on but drier is usually better for flakes and this one was no exception.

I knew nothing of Sillem's prior to this, having smoked none of their blends, as none of them really interested me. But this one was a surprise. My reference VaPers are GLP Telegraph Hill and McClellands St James Woods, if that provides any insight. I prefer my perique on the heavier side, and this blend provides it. Instead of the stewed dark fruit presentation, the perique here is more briny and spicy without losing depth of flavor. The Virginias had just the right amount of tang and citrus but the perique was the star of this show. Condimental spice was first and foremost, and I can certainly see this one having too much for many VaPer fans. And while this won't replace my references, it's definitely a four star blend in my book.

Pipe Used: meerschaum and morta

PeterD Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PeterD (83)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

This is a substantial tobacco...Not so much complex but refined and pleasant. Of the many VaPer flakes available, this one holds its own.

What it comes down to is simply a matter of personal preference, taste, aroma, and consistency. Burn qualities are very nice and even and moisture content is excellent. Flakes are uniform in cut and packaging, with little flavoring.

While I'm giving this a 3 star rating, I will perhaps change that to 4 stars at some point. I enjoy "unassuming" pipe tobaccos and this fits nicely into that category.

Enjoyed in a group 3-4 size pipe, and is an "anytime" somke.

...a pipe is to be savored...

Planet Scott Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Planet Scott (36)
Medium to Strong None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Packs and burns nice. A cool smoke as well. A typical Va flake which has some substance, but can be an all day, any day smoker. Compares to Orlik GS, but a little fuller, more spiciness from perique and a little more money. Finishes slightly sweet. If you are a fan of Va Pers, I think you should try. Based on the number of reviews, this one seems to be under the radar. Worth a try.

Pipe Used: Algerian briar, Castello

Purchased From: P & C

Similar Blends: S Gawith St James Flake.

vincenzo peruggia Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
vincenzo peruggia (13)
Medium Medium to Strong Medium to Full Tolerable

been a long time since i checked any reviews.Only saw one on the councilor and was suprised! for selfish reasons i hope you guys start smoking this so they dont discontinue! the councilor deserves to be in the discussion when talking vapers!Very good no drying out needed ! Natural sweetness and theperfect amount of that heveanly spice in my opinion!Good news ! you dont need a sillems old boy to light it1 Matches work just fine! My first offering from Sillems mabey I will get around to the blue or black everybodys talking about ! Vincenzo will keep some of this on hand! If you like vapers get some Vincenzo