I've been told that this gets as close to the classic blend "Revelation" as one gets. Painter Hills is a light English blend of Virginias, Burleys, Latakia, and Perique, with an added light topping.

Brand4noggins
Blended ByRich Gottlieb
ContentsBurley, Latakia, Perique, Virginia
Strength
Mild to Medium, Medium to Strong, Strong
Mild, Mild to Medium, Medium
Taste

3.1
Junkyard Dawg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Junkyard Dawg (16)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

As I heard good things about 4noggins home blends, I asked Rich for a sample and he gave me this one. I have never smoked HOW's Revelation so I could not compare. What I can say is this mixture has the weirdest smell ever! I was a bit taken aback but, knowing that often what a tobacco smells like and what it tastes can be different, I gave it a try. It was definitively interesting. The various components marry very well and I was in for a pleasant experience. Having also purchased some C & D Epiphany, if it's anything close, I should be in for a nice moment smoking my pipe.

Pipe Used: Dunhill, Corn Cob

Age When Smoked: Unknown

Purchased From: 4noggins.com

Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Medium to Full Tolerable

I didn't care for HOW Revelation. I do like this blend. The burley and Virginias work well together and the perique is present, but not strong enough to overwhelm. The latakia is there, but in a small amount, and barely adds anything to the taste, except for a slight smokiness. I think the latakia is dulled by the topping. The whiskey topping is nice, though it tends to dominate a little more than I personally prefer, and I like whiskey. I can smoke it the way it is and enjoy it, but a little less topping would make this even better, in my opinion.

Strong Mild to Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I never had either the PM or HoW version of Revelation, so I can't say how it matches up there. I have enjoyed both Epiphany and the Altadis Match (bulk, tinned as Suliffe 'R' Blend I believe). In taste, for me this is a more intense version of the Altadis, with a much stronger N kick to it. I don't directly detect Latakia in this (nor do I in Epiphany or Altadis Revelation Match for that matter) although I can certainly tell it's in the background but I don't mind that. If this sounds good to you, give it a try!

AlexL Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
AlexL (26)
Medium to Strong Mild Medium to Full Strong

I felt Burleys and Perique very clearly, while Virginia and Latakia not so much. Quite satisfactory.

Upon Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Upon (13)
Strong Medium Full Tolerable

It's been years since I saw anyone drinking a sunrise or, to mention, any decent cocktail. Still, a mere forty years ago it was comme il faut and no one would call you a metrosexual or by other deprecating names. Today, it would be a medial suicide to tweet that you just had a rusty nail and sideburns. Unless you were "ironic". Somehow all this has got to do with Painter Hills, a neighbourhood somewhere in Vermont, I think. How fit!

The whiskey-soaked deer tongue in this mixture tickles me in the right place. Impossible to detect any latakia but then again, that is exactly how it should be used. Like the Martini in a dry martini. Full strength and aroma. I'm sure that has been said of many a tobacco. Back in the days, I mean. Get some.

CowBoy From Hell Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CowBoy From Hell (12)
Extremely Strong Medium Extra Full Tolerable to Strong

one of many blends smoked by the great thinker enstine, i wasnt sure what to think so i tried it and boy sting yet smooth, taste is strong with distinct taste in all blands only if they added a smoother like cavendish it would be money, but keeping a blend traditional for a reason and that reason is why i would recomend this to a advance smoker not just aromatics and smooth blends all in all great head and body high i may get more

marshcope Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
marshcope (2)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Strong

I was given this as a free sample. It was intolerable to smell the unsmoked tobacco, although surprised me when smoking. A welcomed change of palate! Quite a mild smoke. I am not entirely sure how pleasant it is for others in the room. I would say this is one You either really enjoy or altogether dislike!