A flavorful blend of the finest flue cured gold leaf tobaccos and a rare Acadian perique. This product intended exclusively for use a pipe tobacco.

Notes: "A.P." stands for Acadian Perique.

BrandD & R Tobacco
Packaging40 grams tin, 14 ounce bag
Strength
Taste

3.7

The flu-cured gold leaf Virginias are a little grassy with a minor earth note, and mild amount of citrus and fruit. The Acadian perique offers tangy pepper with a little prune and fig, and are evident in every single puff as a contrasting supporting player. The tobaccos meld well to create a very consistent flavor with a slight smokey quality, and is more a dry smoke rather than a sweet one. There are no toppings. The nic-hit is moderate. The strength and taste are mild to medium. Dry out of the tin, I recommend a little hydration for best effect. It brings out the flavors a little more, and slows the burn rate a mite. Requires almost no relights as it easily burns to ash, leaving no moisture in the bowl. I’ve smoked bowls without a relight. Has no dull or harsh spots, and will not bite. Has a nice peppery, slightly woody after taste, and makes nice clouds of smoke.

-JimInks

marper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
marper (8)

I tried this tobacco out in RYO. It makes a really great smoke! Nice peppery taste with some light hints of fruit. Very smooth and no flavor overpowers the other. For making a smoke it really gives you a unique cigarette smoking experience. This has become my daily smoke. Its a little more expensive than the other tobaccos for RYO but well worth it imo.

A really nice spicy smoke. The Virginias offer a little sweet hay and very little else. The Perique is the main player. A tart note of dark fruit with an underlying note that at times taste like coffee and at others a strong tea. Quite spicy. There's a mild earthiness from one of the two components. I can't tell which. This is a first class smoke.

Medium in body and taste. No added flavoring. Burns very well.

Pipe Used: MM Little Devil Cutty, Little Devil Acorn, Marcus

Yellowfan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Yellowfan (6)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Tolerable to Strong

This pipe tobacco is highly underrated! It comes fairly dry in tin, bag, and bulk so I added a little bit of distilled water to it. I love the fact that this stuff comes dry because when you add water to the tin which weights 1.41oz you end up with almost 2oz of tobacco.

Everything about this tobacco's profile is dense, that is, a thickness to it in both taste and aroma. The Virginia tobacco in it is pressed and fermented in the Perique style and gives the "Acadian Perique" a profile similar to McClelland's Cajun Black - spicy, lightly tangy with fruit notes.

The blend is very well balanced as none of the elements in the blend overwhelm the others. However the smoke aroma offers a slight sting to the nostrils while the flavor is smooth and and rich. This blend does not overwhelm the smoker like the D&R Picayune (which is also fantastic). It is more mellow with notes of spice however.

It is often compared to a VaPer (Virginia/Perique) blend but that even misses the mark somewhat. Try it out and discover a blend nobody is talking about but will give you many evenings of pleasure with a glass of bourbon or a cup of coffee.

Pipe Used: Ben Wade Freehand

Age When Smoked: 32

Purchased From: In bulk, at Indian River Tobacco Traders in Grand Rapids MI

Similar Blends: Daughters and Ryan Rimboché A.B. and S.J., McClelland Royal Cajun Dark.

Skando Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Skando (196)
Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Dear All,

Well, the late summer 2011 I was gifted of a tin of this. It came from the US, this is nothing we can find in Europe, and something not so common to find in the US as well as I can see…

Very much easy to me endorsing in full the review dated APR09/2011 by the esteemed Kilmarnock Piper re: the brother S.J., since I have got the same identical impressions regarding this one with the Acadian Perique.

Nice tobacco, very natural and good quality leaves. Bright & golden ribbons with some brown specs. Nice dose of vitamin N, a dry sweetness, some fruitness. I have also rolled a fag, and was near to fall crying … thinking of those good English Virginian cigarettes of old. Nice tobacco, indeed.

I've not doubt that I would buy this if available in my Country but… this is not a VaPer of the like I intend to be for use in a pipe. Don't ever think it's a brother (even a cousin) of some Escudo or SJF. This is something else, a bit far from what we Continentals are used to do with. Good in a pipe, even better in a fag.

We are just talking of pipe tobaccos here, right ?

D & R Tobacco - Rimboche A.P.

The blend has a coarse appearance, but includes a couple of twiggy bits. Sadly mine arrived crispy to the touch.

The Perique dominates the smoke. The Virginia only offers a speck of flavour, it's the tangy, fruity, Perique which is the most prominent taste. Because there's a large amount of Perique it requires a gentle technique to keep it in line; with too much force the smoke becomes vinegary, a tentative technique means the Perique doesn't 'run riot'. The burn from Rimboche is quite fast, but in all fairness the condition it arrived in can take responsibility for that. I get no added flavourings, it seems natural to the core.

Nicotine: medium. Room-note: not the best!

Rimboche A.P.? I'll remove a point for the dryness, but the flavour's still worth a recommendation:

Three stars.

Pipe Used: Mastro Geppetto

Age When Smoked: Not stamped, but I opened it after a week

Ash Ryan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ash Ryan (3)
Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This is a great basic va/per with a lower perique content, and for the price it’s a must buy. I’ll be stocking up on this as my bulk-buy every day smoke. Though i love blends like Escudo, the specificity of their flavor profile can wear on you, but not with this. It’s cool, clean and satisfying. The cut is fairly uniform and the moisture content in the 3.5 ounce container i purchased was perfect. Tastes similar to bayou morning but with less perique.

Pipe Used: Radice classic canadian

Similar Blends: SJ Rimboche’, Bayou morning (with less perique).

½ bowl Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
½ bowl (100)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Unnoticeable

Excellent balance between naturally sweet Virginias and slightly spicey, but generally fruity Perique. I think this Acadian Perique has all the flavor of St. James without the extreme pungency of the latter -- and I prefer it.

Pipe Used: Italian briars, mostly

Age When Smoked: Recent

Similar Blends: Dunhill Elizabethan Mixture.

michaelc Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
michaelc (40)

I opened this tin this morning so my taste buds would not have been compromised by some other tobacco. Since my arising at 6 AM I have smoked four bowls so as to get a taste for this smoke. Upon opening the tin, the blend smelled of dried mowed grass, almost haylike. The moisture content seemed to be what I how I like my tobacco to feel. It packed easily and lit well. I needed no other lights after my first. The blend is sweet. The Virginias really show through. The Acadian Perique is present in taste, but subtle. It adds a spicy note to the smoke. I think I prefer Rimboche S.J. to this blend, but they are really almost twins. S.J. has more of the Perique flavor than this smoke, but A.P. is very good. It is a keeper, in fact all of the D&R Rimboche blends are keepers in my book for those who are VaPer fans.

Pipe Used: Two Lorenzo briars and a noname Italian Dublin

Similar Blends: Rimboche S.J. and A.B., as well as Sutliff 1849 and Lane Ltd. 125 Anniversary.

Troy_nov1965 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Troy_nov1965 (11)
Medium None Detected Medium Unnoticeable

I find this a very good Va/Per blend. The low price for a one pound bag is a bonus as well. I also like how D&R dates the bags when they were packaged.

Good quality tobacco , comes dry so hydrating it is recommended, more so for slowing down the burn rate as I found the flavor just as good dry. No bite, just a slight sting from the spice of the Va. & perique. Could easily be a all day smoke for Va./Per fans. It reminds me of Sutliff Tobacco Company - Match Dunhill Elizabethan Mixture ( I have never smoked the original so I cant compare it to that tobacco ) but I like Rimboché A.P. more . If you are looking for a nice budget friendly Va./Per give this a shot.

I think hydrating then aging it would really make this tobacco shine.

Pipe Used: SMS Meer billiard, KW, YB

Age When Smoked: Packaged in Oct. 2016

Similar Blends: Sutliff Tobacco Company - Match Dunhill Elizabethan Mixture.