A faithful match of the old Larus & Bro Holiday Pipe Mixture

Extremely Mild
Taste

The Hun Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The Hun (10)

I want to add my endorsement of this blend to the reviews.

No one picking this up should expect a flavor bomb. I don't think it was even meant to be one. I don't know about the original Larus mixture. I have never smoked the original, nor do I expect to. But, for a mild, uncomplicated, any time of the day smoke, this one can't be beat!

The perique is there--I get a bit of the tongue tingle. The latakia is there--close to my upper limit for that condiment. The virginias are slightly sweet. The burley adds a bit of a bottom to the blend. I admit to completely missing the cavendish, but I'll bet if it were removed its absence would be noticeable. My son and his wife find the room note pleasant. The Hunnette abhors any smoke (other than a barbeque grilling chicken). All I care about is the flavor.

Holiday Mixture Match fires up immediately. It rarely needs attention after the initial light aside from an ocassional tamp. Depending on how fast I smoke it, it may need one additonal light, but otherwise it burns completely down to a fine gray ash.

As I have stated in other reviews, I am fond of perique. I have considered adding some to this blend, but have resisted that thought. I don't want to change the character of the tobacco. It's just fine the way it is. I have other blends with more perique. When I want that sort of experience, I'll just smoke one of them.

There is a tinned blend called Holiday Excursion--as a matter of fact that is what is pictured above these reviews. Website descriptions I have read claim that it is either burley, virginia, and latakia OR contains exactly the same tobaccos as this bulk blend. I think the tinned blend is from Lane, but I could be wrong. This review is for the bulk Sutliff blend. I've never had the tinned version--it's much more expensive.

I have had the best luck with Holiday Match in Kaywoodie princes, but it is very tasty in cobs as well. Recommended!

Pipe Used: Kaywoodies, Corn Cobs, LaRoccas

Age When Smoked: fresh bulk

Mild to Medium Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I never smoked the original, so this review pertains only to the Match. The Virginia is mildly sweet with a slight grass note and provides a good base for the other components. The burley is sweet, and a little nutty. A smattering of black cavendish chips in with a bare essence of vanilla. The perique is hardly noticeable, but the light spice I taste comes from there. The latakia is also a minor player, but it provides a smokey push that makes this an attractive smoke. The topping is sweet and mildly fruity. This is a very pleasant, tasty aromatic American English that you can smoke all day with ease and no bite, and due to the variety of flavors, never get bored with it.

Doc Waters Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Doc Waters (5)

Have never tasted the original, but I love this blend. Easy, all day smoke. Yet, complex enough to keep me interested. Of the 20+ different tobaccos I have purchased in the last 6 months, this is by far my favorite. This classic mixture delivers a wonderful collection of flavors.

CornCob Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CornCob (71)
Very Mild Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

I love everything about this blend. The cut takes some getting used to as it is quite large and awkward similar to a rough crushed plug. It can be a pest to get steaming at times but once lit the flavor is very unique and satisfying to me and it seems to last longer than most blends as far as pipefulls are concerned. Pouch aroma reminds me more of an english than an aromatic, if you go by the description on the tin "The Aromatic Crowd Pleaser" aromatic smokers may be fooled. The only added flavourings i detect is that of the condiment tobaccos(perique and latakia) Good consistent taste from top to bottom and can easily be an all day puff as it has not bite whatsoever. I bought this solely for tin art and the good price which does not always pay off. This time I got a winner.

Pipe Used: Capri rustic billiard

Age When Smoked: Current production

oldmanpipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
oldmanpipe (62)
Extremely Mild Extremely Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant

Ah...what to write? Let us begin by getting the worst out of the way. Abraham Lincoln once described a bill passed by Congress as being a soup "made from the ghost of a crow that had had starved to death." One could too-easily judge this blend as being similar. There could be more "there" there.

Having said that, this DOES evoke memories of Holiday when it was made by Lane Ltd. Both have a certain unique, intriguing bitterness. That singular feature was always what set Holiday apart. There is also a faint nuttiness to the Burley, though not nearly the same as when the Burley component was Edgeworth Ready- Rubbed. That version had some nicotine kick to it. This version doesn't.

Yes, one could easily smoke this all day. But would one want to? That decision is left to the individual smoker.

Nothing objectionable here...and nothing exceptional either. This would be a great blend for anyone switching from coffin nails.

I agree with the previous reviewer who said that this is a blend that needs to be smoked slowly; otherwise, all of its good points would slip right by you.

Other than that...very pleasant room note. There is no bite at all. This might just grow on me.

5/4/13 In the lyrics of blues artist Mayme Watts, "Alright, okay, you win..."

I had a long day of driving today, listening to NPR, and puffing on this blend in assorted pipes filled with this mixture. I DOES become more congenial and engaging with each bowlful. Its aforementioned deficiencies are still there...but somehow one soon learns to forgive them and savor this concoction for its own sweet self. Much like a woman or Kipling's cigar.

I have a Chacom Prince that brings out all the flavors of this blend, and it is something to be taken seriously and savored. Burley lovers will be especially gratified. For my own preference, a tad more Latakia would be appreciated. But I ain't complaining.

mike44 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mike44 (1)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Very Pleasant

This blend has been around a long time. It was considered the king of drug store blends and was very popular during the 1940's and 1950's.

I began smoking the original Larus blend in the late 1950's.It was my favorite.

When pipe smoking became less popular larus went out of business and the Pinkerton Tobacco Company produced the blend although with lower quality tobaccos. Pinkerton discontinued production and sold the rights to Lane who finally dropped the blend likely due to poor quality control.

I bought bag of the new Altadis Holiday Mixture Match hoping it would be close to the original larus blend. Altadis nailed this one. The blend is very good and a true match.

This tobacco is to be smoked slowly. The flavor is delicious and the room note is refreshingly pleasant.

If you remember this blend or even if you haven't give it a try. I think you will enjoy it.