A wonderfully complex mixture consisting of six light Virginias pressed until reddish brown and then rubbed out, plus Golden and dark Virginias hot pressed until jet-black. Twelve different Virginia tobaccos lightly laced with licorice and natural fruit extracts, perfectly blended and fully matured. A true luxury blend that leaves the pipe clean and dry.

BrandEsoterica Tobacciana
Strength
Mild, Medium
Taste
2.7

Well, a couple months ago, I got an 8 ounce bag each of Woodbridge and Hastings, just because I wanted to try a couple of the lesser-known Esoterica blends. Both are aromatics, but not overwhelmingly so. No goop or gunk, but fine, light Virginias with a fruity topping. I taste some liquor of some kind in the Hastings, and do recognize the licorice in Woodbridge, but it's mild. Woodbridge is slightly less aromatic than Hastings, and I like it slightly better. I'm comparing them because I smoked and reviewed them both tonight, though of course this is not my first bowl of either...

As I said in my Hastings review, Woodbridge is, like Hastings, an aromatic that easily dries to whatever dryness one desires before packing. Dry it, and some of the aromatic quality fades, but not all! It's kind of like a Lakeland in this way, though the flavors are more fruity than flowery or herbal. I just can't quite put my finger on exactly what kind of fruit...

Nevermind. I like it. Burns a bit fast, but doesn't overheat or bite. The Virginias are of good quality (all twelve of them), and the taste is pleasant.

Mild Very Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant to Tolerable

Upon lighting, you get a Virginia hay/ slight orange citrus note, something similar to Troost "Special", no real Licorice flavour ( the tin note does have a Licorice? wine? aroma) . After a 1/4 of the pipe you are still looking for some complexity but instead, the citrus is gone and the flavor has mellowed. I really don't see what all these (12) different Virginias are doing for this tobacco, maybe it's what is swept up off the blending floor ( probably some licorice from the scraps of "Blackpool and Ramsgate") ! It's not overly sweet, doesn't bite but it just doesn't bring anything. I bought this in bulk, so I really don't know if that's why I'm not getting all the review references to aromatics, except from the tin, I don't get it? I like Orlik's Golden Slices (Red) better and it's for a better price. Another tobacco for the back of the basement.

I agree with Pipestud in that this tobacco is kind of stuck between worlds. I wouldn't call this an aromatic in the way many are familier with as there is a lot of tobacco taste here. At the same time, lovers of aromatics may not find enough casing to satisfy. Woodbridge tastes pleasant enough and burns cleanly, but it lacks the complexity that makes me want to keep coming back. It may be a good cross over for aromatic smokers looking to bridge to Virginia blends as like many offerings from Esoterica the leaf is of good quality. Somewhat recommended.

I think Woodbridge is quite a compilation that works. I'm a little overwhelmed by the added flavoring, but the tobacco is able to make its presence known... a little bit anyway.

I think the cut is almost shag in style and the blend does burn fast. It also burns pretty cool, all things considered.

Aromatic fans may not like all the tobacco taste Woodbridge offers..... and those who don't enjoy enhanced flavorings may not like this one either.

I'll recommend it as a change of pace offering that may hold your interest for a bowl or two.

DrDNA Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DrDNA (58)
Mild Medium Medium Pleasant

Notes: Another mildly topped virginia blend from Esoterica, with the topping relatively light and complementing the tobacco. I usually don't smoke aromatic blends, but this one works. I have smoked several ounces on and off for a change of pace and like it most in a small billiard.

Appearance: A thin cut ribbon, fully rubbed out. A complex mixture of pale gold, tan, light brown, nut brown ,dark brown, and black leaves.

Aroma: Winey, musty, round, sweet and rich -- an almost creamy aroma if that is possible. Anise, cherry pie, plums, figs, sugar, pecans.

Taste: Red wine, honey, cream, figs, cherry pie, stewed plums, fried cherries, corriander.

Comparisons: The big brother of Esoterica's Hastings. Similar to Dunhill's Standard Mixture Medium or Early Morning Pipe, falling somewhere between the two for complexity, but with a sweet topping.

Bottom Line: A medium English blend, simple and sweet. For those who find Dunhill's Early Morning Pipe too mild and yearn for a sweeter more aromatic version.

DUPE.1512 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mild Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Where Esoterica Pembroke left a lot to be desired for me, Woodbridge is done right! This is a fruity aromatic that is sweet and slightly tart at the same time with plent of tobacco flavor as well. Burns cool and even. A really nice aromatic VA.

This is a nice fruity aromatic, not something I can say about most tobaccos of this type. The fruit casing is tart and sweet at the same time, remindidng me of golden apples. The Va's are of the lighter variety and burn quite cool. This would be a great blend too take an autumn stroll with. Don't let the aromatic moniker frighten you off, there is plenty of tobacco taste to go around. Goes good with a nice cup of lightly brewed Antiguan coffee.

Willy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Willy (75)

This is another nice blend from Esoterica, this one being flavored a bit more than others. I like the tart, musty sweetness upon opening the bag. The flavorings are truly "lightly laced" being more of a compliment than something to mask inferior leaf. Colors range from light browns to nearly black w/some blond strands mixed in. The shag cut makes for easy packing and lighting. The pouch aroma is evident in the taste of the smoke w/a tart, mild sweetness that reminds me of a fruity, semi-dry red wine. I won't claim to be a wine connoisseur, that's just the best way I can describe how I taste this tobak. A somewhat citrusy note comes forth here and there, very pleasant to be sure. Virtually no bite for me, and the tasty sweetness/tartness lingers through much of the bowl. Obviously, quality VAs. are used and that rich VA. taste is evident all the way down. A minor gurgle about 1/3 the way down, no worries, one cleaner is all that's required. Nearing bottom the smoke develops a wee bit of a charcoal-like taste but it is not unpleasant in any way. Burns to a near white ash. I prefer to smoke this as well as other Esotericas in Grp. 5 or G, GG size bent pipes, mostly Italians. As the description states "a true luxury blend that leaves the pipe clean and dry." A most enjoyable blend that I can smoke most any time. IMHO, FWIW, another winner from the folks @ J.F. Germain. This most assuredly works for me.

I just want to take this opportunity to offer the Seasons Best Greetings to all of my esteemed colleagues. As we celebrate the birth of Christ and this joyous holiday time, my wife and I wish you Glad Tidings and Gods richest blessings to you and yours. Merry Christmas!!!!

Sceny Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sceny (66)
Mild Medium Medium Tolerable

A tale of two halves - that is the best way to think of this blend. It starts off as a nice, mild, sweet Virginia tobacco, and changes into a sweet, sour, and slightly fruity aromatic in the second part. I enjoy both halves, especially since the aromatic taste is fairly mild and not goopy at all; but others may want to use caution. The aroma in the bag is somewhat sweet and slightly grassy; I really don't notice any of the casing that is supposed to be there. The tobacco leaf is mixed, mainly medium and lighter browns in a longer cut, with several larger chunks of unrubbed black flake thrown in. The mixture of stiff flake and longer strands makes this blend a bit difficult to pack, especially in a smaller bowl. It does light easily, and burns with the average number of relights needed. In the first 1/3 of the bowl, the taste is sweet and mild. There are some fuller undertones, but overall a mild Virginia flavor is strongest. In addition to the sweetness, there is a bit of sourness at the start of the bowl. Other than this, I don't really taste any fruity or licorice-like casing; if not for the description, I likely wouldn't guess this is a cased tobacco at all. There is some tongue bite with this blend, but it is avoided through slow puffing. In the second third, the sweetness is not quite as intense, but the sourness is a bit stronger. The smoke leaves a pleasant sour taste on the palate even after the smoke is gone. The Virginia flavor is still mild and not overly complex, though I wouldn't call the taste weak. I am also getting a note of spiciness, most intense at a point about halfway through the bowl. There is a bit of moisture at this point, taken care of with a single pipe cleaner. In the last third, the taste remains sweet, sour, and mild. The spicy note, never very strong, has disappeared, and now for the first time I'm tasting a fruity flavor. The fruit flavor is "dark" fruit as opposed to the normal "light" fruit, and is not at all overwhelming. It is most noticeable when the smoke is blown out through the nose, a practice that I recommend with this blend. This blend is very unusual in that the casing actually starts off weak and becomes stronger towards the end of the bowl. The tobacco flavors never really darken or become complex, but they are nonetheless not boring and are obviously high quality. There are no further moisture problems, and the bite is not bad at all. Overall, this is a very unusual tobacco, and it's taken me quite a few bowls to get a handle on it. I would tend to recommend the first half of the bowl to those who like sweet, mild Virginia tobaccos, and the second half to those who prefer well-blended aromatics. :-) I enjoy both types, so I liked this blend. It isn't outstanding, but it is a nice, sweet/sour treat. I will likely order more of this in the future.