A tobacco which is naturally sweet due to aging, stoving and pressing of a fine, light bodied blend of eastern belt Virginias. Rich in flavor and fragrance. Mature Virginia.

BrandBufflehead
Blended ByDavid Windsor
Strength
Taste
Medium to Full, Full
tonyg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tonyg (103)

I purchased this blend just before Dave closed shop. I tried to reorder, but was two days too late.

This is a monochromatic tobacco with a very rich creamy taste. It is, as has been recorded on these pages, very similar to both McClelland 2035 and Dark Star. SS however, has a peculiar sweetness that I find most pleasing.

I've been trying to find this tobacco ever since Bufflehead went out of business without success.

I believe I have found a very good substitute by mixing 5 parts of 2035 to one part of McClelland 5105. The resulting blend does not burn well at all. However, for me, the re-lights are well worth the effort, especially if, when the pipe goes out you let it rest for while. One can always substitute Dark Star for the 2035, but that would, in my opinion not be as good and a waste of money as well.

Mr. Dottle Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mr. Dottle (162)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Pleasant to Tolerable

As others have noted, Surf Scoter is ever so similar to 2035 and Dark Star. This is good tobacco having a leathery texture and a full, roasted flavor but like Dark Star, it has marginal to poor burning qualities no matter how you prepare and dry it. And no matter how good the tobacco is, any tobacco with poor burning qualities is a big negative and not worth the effort for me. This is just as well as the prices on Bufflehead tobaccos have skyrocketed since Dave closed his business. This is a FULL Virginia with a (now) FULL price that is FULL of relights.

A cigarette is to be smoked. A cigar is to be enjoyed. A pipe is to be savored.

I rate this tobacco 7.0 out of 10.

SFC/E7 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SFC/E7 (93)
Strong None Detected Full Tolerable

My first indication of this tobacco was it was somewhat like McClelland?s 2035, but that idea was easily put to rest once I finished the bowl of Surf Scoter.

I found this to be more of a flake rather than a ribbon cut as I had to rub it out before I could pack my pipe.

As I first smelled the aroma of the tobacco was very faint of a McClelland blend but not noticeable enough to worry about. Packing the pipe needed a little more attention as it was a harder than most and seemed to be dry. It took me about three attempts to finally get the tobacco lit.

At first you want to think, oh no another loser for a Full Virginia, but as I smoked this to the middle of the bowl it presented itself as Virginia with a different taste. Beyond the half way point the tobacco took on a full richness that was definitely a full Virginia with an excellent taste.

This has become one of my favorites to smoke as it lived up to being a Full Virginia

pmonroeb Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pmonroeb (92)

I had originally written that this was likely McClelland 2035, however David Windsor of Bufflehead informs me that this is his own mixture made by McClelland that is similar, but with a slight difference. This is very good stuff in its own right and is quite similar to Dark Star. The same wet shoe leather texture until broken out and dried somewhat. Like Dark Star, it seems to be hard to get just the right moisture level. Too moist and it doesn't burn well. Too dry and it loses flavor. Worth the effort to get it right though.