A classical English mixture done in the "old style" of many of the fine tobaccos that have now disappeared from the market place. Choice Orientals and generous quantities of premium Cyprian latakia keynote this rich, full bodied blend. A well balanced, robust and eminently satisfying smoke.

BrandEsoterica Tobacciana

Theodore Moore Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Theodore Moore (14)
Medium None Detected Full Pleasant to Tolerable

A TWIN REVIEW BY COMPARISON:

Margate is a maiden while Penzance is a matriarch. "Margate is to the morning, what Penzance is to the evening." These two are exotic, loving, sister-wives to be sure, but only "just." Both are lady-like in that neither will reward you with their secret dainties unless treated with dignity and respect. However, approached with gentle hands and patience, they will both yield their hidden delights and favor you with their mysterious and oriental treasures. I love both of these, my Macedonian wives. Esoterica has a harem of these ladies, and Penzance and Margate are the most favored women among them. Once you have been seduced by both, you cannot do without either. All others pale in comparison.

Upon opening, both have a fragrance that tantalize the senses with veiled promises of things to come. Upon lighting, wait for them to warm until they unfold with that soft, unique, slipstream fragrance that you long for. The lingering, haunting, room aroma is uniquely "Esoterica". From there, and until the end of the experience, there is nothing else that compares. It is Beulah Land!

So what then is the difference? Well it is subtle but real. Margate is a tad crisper, tangier, while Penzance is softer, more mature and deeper. The first is a tease, while the latter is a lover. Again, "Margate is to the morning, what Penzance is to the twilight, the evening, and the black and dark night." Like virtuous women, they are hard to come by, but well worth the wait. If you find them, keep them. They are faithful to their man. Four heavenly stars! Enjoli' !!!

Medium Very Mild Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

The Virginias are grassy sweet and slightly earthy in a supporting role. Most of the sweetness is citrus, but there is a little dark fruit. The Orientals dominate along with the Cyprian latakia, which is slightly sweet, as well as woodsy and very smokey. The latter two descriptives can also be said for the Orientals, which have a little spiciness, too. People around you will think you started a campfire in your den. There's the fragrance of incense, which I think comes from the topping as well as from the Orientals and latakia. Has a mild to medium nic-hit. Won't bite, and has no harsh or dull moments. It's a little moist, but being a shag cut, that's not a bad thing as it will slow down the burn rate, which is moderate. Has a very rich, consistent flavor from start to finish. It has a bit of strength, and is best when sipped. Leaves just a little moisture in the bowl, but no dottle. Needs a few relights if not dried. The after taste is decent, except for a slight wine note that I find a little distracting. Not an all day smoke.

Very, very well balanced. I wonder how long this blend is aged before it hits the market? I ask because the components seem to be melded together almost completely. It very nearly has just one flavor and I would call that flavor English. I can separate the Virginias though and it's because they have a very pronounced wine-like nuance. This blend is incredibly delicious. Medium in body and medium to full in flavor. I just love it.

Pipe Used: MM General, MM Country Gentleman

musicman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
musicman (88)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Very Full Very Strong

This is really nice stuff. This is the Guinness of the tobacco world. It is dark, and full, and creamy, and just good.

Margate is a really interesting blend. When first opening the tin I noticed the cut first. A very fine shag like cut. This presentation makes this blend very easy to pack and a breeze to keep lit. There are some interesting olive green strands in my tin. I am not sure what they are but they are tasty.

This is a true pipe smokers blend. Cherry aromatic lovers need not apply. This sucker is strong. It is so strong that even my dog leaves the room when I fire this one up. It has a deep rich latakia flavor and a slightly odd aftertaste. Not wholly unpleasant, just unidentifiable. This one will stink up the house so if you have a loverly significant other be ready for a fight.

As the bowl progresses a new and tasty flavor develops in the second half. Most blends I feel have their better days in the first half of the bowl, this is one of the few where I look forward to the last waning moments.

If you like latakia you must give this one a try. I find it is far and above what Dunhill MM 965 tries to be. Highly recommended.

Noorrmm Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Noorrmm (193)
Medium None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

Appearance: A mottled, variegated array of colors in this beautiful ribbon cut blend. Overall, it averages out as medium, so I assume not too heavy in Latakia, or in lemon Virginia.

Aroma: A gorgeous balanced English/Oriental aroma. All the players are well represented, the sweet Virginias, the spicy Orientals and the smoky Latakia (Cyprian).

Packing: Packs well in normal sized pipes, Just the usual care required.

Lighting: Lights with the usual two matches, tamp in between.

Initial flavor: Great mouth filling, well balanced flavor. I can taste all the ingredients in the right proportion. Burns slowly, but steadily.

Mid-bowl: Continues to burn nicely, cool and dry and very tasty. There is complexity in the flavor, but not much variance even at the slowest burning rate. Just a medium to full Oriental flavor with great mouth feel and presence. Doesn?t change much, but never boring.

Finish: A bit stronger at the end, not excessively so. Leaves a clean gray ash in a dry heel.

Summary: An excellent choice for the Oriental smoker looking for a blend in the medium to full range. If that?s you range, this could be an all-day smoke for you. Definitely a classic, and highly recommended.

Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant

Margate is not quite as elegant as Penzance, but is still quite aristocratic. I enjoy this blend tremendously. It is more "latakia tasting" than Penzance and not quite as rich and creamy. It is ready rubbed, so, you waste no time getting the stuff into your favorite briar.

I consider this to be a traditional English, yet not quite as plain as, say, the Dunhill English blends. This one packs more complexity. If you like Dunhill 965, take a step up in class and grab yourself a tin of Margate. You'll be glad you did.

Pipeologist Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipeologist (22)
Medium None Detected Medium to Full Very Pleasant

No way will I ever get my mitts on Penzance,my all time favourite,so have to settle for another not quite as desirable offering from Esoterica,ironically manufactured in my country of residence,shipped to the States and shipped back to the U.K.....what a jet setter of a backy.If this was wine,it would be in shock! By comparison to Olson's Blue Queen,just polished off,with similar elements,this is streaks ahead. With a bowl on the go,as most,if not all pipe tobacco contemplatives do when pen is put to paper,accounting for such a high level of epicurean literacy,I humbly offer this up. Margate,for over 250 years,was right up there as a vacation resort for the Brits ,especially popular with the Victorians,taking delight in the crystal clear sea,the most delightful sky,as Turner put it and the golden sanded beach,of course. Laterally,however,Margate has become a shithole! The saving grace is that this mediocre town's name has been linked,coupled,paired with one of the greatest pipe tobaccos ever manufactured. A bit like the Chateau Lafite of the backy world,it offers a sublime complexity of creamy smoking pleasure,equaled only by the top offerings on this website. Latakia,it seems,can be a tad overpowering,Virginia a bit boring and Orientals,well,just too Oriental,however,this blend,like the Lafite ,whether by freak accident or pure genius,has succeeded in providing something quite superlative for the discerning pipe smoker. Ah! Time for another bowl and a double espresso......what a tough life!

Pipe Used: A difficult to clean ,gurgling Peterson

Age When Smoked: Still 63

Purchased From: A shop

Similar Blends: Chateau Lafite 1982.

Mild to Medium None Detected Medium Very Pleasant

Esoterica - Margate. Another blend I acquired in a trade with Gentleman Zombie; thankyou so much Franck, this is by far the best English I've smoked.

As there are so many good things said about this, it makes it a touch tricky to think of what to put! I'll start by saying it has a superb, well balanced English flavour. Out of the three, none of the tobaccos seem to outweigh the others, they all work together in perfect harmony! The smoke has no sharpness and nor is there any particular piquancy, it's actually a very smooth taste for an English.

The burn is absolutely fantastic: a great speed, brilliantly even and very independent.

The nicotine quantity is just below medium, for me it wouldn't qualify as mild, but I'd say without doubt it's below medium.

I love the room-note, it's not too much nor too little.

This has more than a balanced taste to it, I love it; thanks Franck!!

Highly recommended.

Pipe Used: Levent Meer' Claw

Purchased From: Traded with Gentleman Zombie

TorontoSmoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TorontoSmoker (19)

There's nothing I can say about this blend that hasn't already been said. English blend perfection! The tin I procured was already aged quite a bit, and it's fantastic. What a great smoke! All the components blend together seamlessly to form an English smoker's dream. I love the shag cut. I like it better than it's cousin, Pembroke. If there will be pipe tobacco in heaven, this would be it.

Age When Smoked: 4 - 7 years(?)

Purchased From: eBay seller

balkan_boy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
balkan_boy (49)

I don't recall how Margate used to be back then when Esoterica tobaccos were widely available, I smoked mostly Penzance then. What I'm reviewing, is the new batches coming every now and then from Germains workshop. Although there are a lot of orientals, this isn't a classic Balkan, more of an English. Very easy going smoke. Pack it loosely, and a bit on the wet side if possible. Awesome smoke. Not wild, not rural, not kicking, perfectly tamed and balanced smoke as a whole. It doesn't distract you from everything else and doesn't keep all your attention to the smoke like Penzance. Not anywhere near Penzance, but it's Esoterica's second best choice. Cheers!

Pipe Used: various

Purchased From: 4noggins

Bigdadz Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bigdadz (35)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Pleasant

This is amazing stuff! It you are looking for that signature old world English taste, this is it! Leathery, nutty, well balanced, smooth and full flavoured. The tobacco is of very high quality and is a fine ribbon cut which I prefer. I like this one more than penzance. Shame that it isn't very easy to find.

DrumsAndBeer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DrumsAndBeer (203)

This was the first latakia blend that I ever smoked. I purchased it in bulk from my local tobacco shop who is kind enough to break up the 8oz bags into smaller increments for their customers. My sample was a bit on the dry side but altogether smoked well.

This blend can be fiery and a little heady if I pushed it too hard, but its redeeming qualities are bundled tightly in its intricate illusory flavors. I say this because Margate has an undeniably dry flavor kick with very little sweetness to hang on to. Enjoying Margate is on par to enjoying a really dry & oaky red wine in that its flavors are presented in a much narrower spectrum. That said, most of these flavors are tough to pin down or compare to some of the obvious food related references that are often tied to sweeter mixtures. Perhaps it's best to say that this mixture just tastes like well blended, high quality no-frills tobacco.

If anything, Margate has made more of an impact on me through my sense of smell. Its pungent incense like aroma is a thing of beauty and keeps me coming back for more, where its flavor ebbs and flows between full round and spicy, to subdued and at times somewhat flat. The real magic with Margate is this dance it does with my olfactory senses. Perhaps I spent too many nights as a kid in front of the camp fire with my friends and family but if I could rate Margate's rich wood fire like aroma on a nostalgia scale of 1-10, it would easily rate a high 9 for me. There is something that I crave with this one yet flavor is only one component of the craving.

For me this mixture took some time to fully appreciate. Sometimes when something is so simple it's easy to overlook what it does well. And what Margate does is satisfies my desire for a rich dry latakia laced smoke.

Virginia lover Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Virginia lover (191)
Mild Mild to Medium Medium Tolerable

There's a pungent smell from the 8 oz. bag, a smoky incense aroma that will also be found in the smoke. A cool, dry and smooth smoke that I smoked slowly as I didn't feel the need to puff hard. There's a sweet, cloying casing that's quite present, with some smoky/incense flavoring. This was my first Esoterica Tobacciana mixture.

Update: After trying Penzance, I revisited Margate to make a comparison between them. I get the same cloying sweet/incense casing but lighter in Margate. The mouth and breath are not as heavy after a pipe bowl but still. It's in fact a Penzance light, because of a lighter chemical enhancement. Esoterica Tobacciana, you have tested positive for chemical enhancement in all the tobaccos I have tried and no hype or gimmick will save you. You are dismissed with no regrets.

King Weed Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
King Weed (114)

Recently I purchased a small hoard of 5 to 20 year old tins of various pipe blends. As per the statement of the seller, a small number of them were unsealed and my tin of Margate was one of them. Dated 2004, it did not appear sealed and I went straight to opening it. Surprise, as the mixture was found smokeable with some moisture intact. It had been a long time since I had smoked Margate and, as I puffed, I dredged up my memories of it from twenty-five years ago. When Esoterica blends hit the local market, we all smoked the majority of them and a ranking of their English blends formed in my mind: Penzance first, Pembroke second and Margate a distant third. Why? I just didn't feel it was distinctive enough to rank with the other two and was lukewarm in competition with the likes of Dunhill 965. Now, to the present tense. Thirteen years of aging in someone's basement had melded all components into a smooth, but narrow ranged smoke that was neither outstanding nor mediocre. The tin appearance had changed to a very darkish hue of some umber brown and some nearly black particles. The smoking experience was, likewise, very smooth and confined to a narrower range that lodged it right smack at the top of the bell-shaped curve of medium English blends. This is my main bone of contention with this blend, in that, it lacks competitiveness with other English mixtures I have available today and had available in the past. I don't have anything bad to say about Margate but, on the converse, there is a limit on what I can say about what is good about it-three stars.

Pipe Used: Ashton and Roush Lovats

Age When Smoked: 13 years old

Purchased From: another pipe smoker

Similar Blends: although not in appearance, in smoking strength and taste levels it would be Early Morning Pipe with a little more Latakia and somewhat deeper stoving on the other leaves..

Cold Comfort Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Cold Comfort (8)

Like Penzance, this is good tobacco. Due to the difficulty in getting these blends, I think the mythology built around them is overrated and not deserved. There are many other blends as good or better, and that are in ample supply.

Pipe Used: Peterson Kinsale XL17

Purchased From: Gifted

the_dalai_lama_himself Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
the_dalai_lama_himself (43)

Dark full flavored, balanced and earthy.. Esoterica does wonders with Latakia. Not as robust as Penzance and without the topping/ sweetness of ...And So To Bed.. and without the bite of Pelican which I find similar.. it's a nice happy medium. Margate is a refined possible all day smoking English with some beefiness to it.. if you can find enough of it.

BriarWoody Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BriarWoody (33)

I've smoked Margate for years and just tried an aged sample. (You need to stock up on this if you like it, because it's difficult to procure.) Maybe my tastes are changing, but I think this and other Germain offerings are just too finicky.

The shag cut is annoying to pack, and even after you let it dry, it is nearly impossible to keep lit. Then once it gets going, the show's over, because it burns so quickly. Also, some of my tins weren't air sealed when purchased new.

The flavors are good and the tobaccos are pressed and aged to the point that everything melds into one common core of smoky and earthy flavor. The nicotine level is low.

To me, there are many other choices in this crowded category that are far better in temperament, presentation and taste.

I feel the same about Germain's re-release of Balkan Sobranie.

Age When Smoked: Aged and Fresh Tins

Swiss-smoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Swiss-smoker (62)
Mild to Medium None Detected Full Tolerable

A fantastic, traditional, old style English blend, indeed. Evokes good old memories. Very balanced and skilfully selected Orientals, kind of warm, creamy, full body aroma, no beak pecking spiciness. Scrumptious Latakia. Rich palette of flavours. Natural tobacco sweetness accompanies you throughout the smoke. A gorgeous blend for all lovers of the old style English mixtures that have gradually disappeared from the market. Thanks to Esoterica, MARGATE fills the gap. It’s on my favourites list now.

Age When Smoked: About one year.

Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable

I typically don't like full latakia blends, but didn't mind this one at all. The blender boldly states that the blend is indeed a full english mixture. It smokes very cool and the orientals used are much to my liking. While the lat is strong, I don't find it overpowering at all. I was surprised to discover there was no Va in this blend.

This is definitely a once in a while treat. Successive bowls will not be a joy. My two ounces lasted better than a year. It shines in Cold weather in a contemplative setting. I prefer it in my briar bent acorn Sav DC, but also enjoyed it in my meer.

I will likely buy more because the flavor, to me, is unique enough that I think it will be good to have on hand. The hard part, like all germain blends, is waiting for the stars to align where you can actually find it.

quantumboy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
quantumboy (130)

I think this is a sleeper blend that gets lost in the limelight of its siblings Penzance and Stonehaven. I really like this as a medium-strength english blend with lots of flavor. Apparently it has no Virginia leaf, but it does not suffer in the arenas of sweetness or strength. A very tasty blend, it's one that I want to cellar, and it's actually readily obtainable!

Sinister Topiary Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sinister Topiary (84)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium Very Pleasant

Margate is a delightful English/Balkan blend in the same class as Squadron Leader and Artisan's Blend, what Nojoqui calls "High English", which is a great appellation for these kinds of blends, which I liken to single-malt scotches, each a quality blend with its own distinctive signature.

It's the most finely cut ribbon I've yet seen, and it burns so easily that it can get hot if you puff hard, which you should definitely not do with this little beauty or you'll miss all its unique nuances, which gets more subtle and complex as you get down to the bottom, so sip it slow and you'll be amply rewarded.

But though I very much like this delectable, dignified blend I prefer it's sister, that painted hussy Pembroke.

wolfango Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
wolfango (3)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable to Strong

I have been smoking pipes for more than 40 years now, and I am part of the legion in search for 'those' English mixtures: the advertised "old style". I must say that Margate is one of the closest Moderate flavor, quite British, but nothing memorable. I would compare to the second line oldies, like Four Squares, for example. I would say it is OK for the current standards. However there is a big problem, in my experience, that prevents me to recommend Margate to my friends. This mixture burns extremely hot, to the point of putting the pipe and my fingers in danger. Only a Meer can be smoked safely. And I felt the consequences in my lips too. Now that summer is coming, smoking Margate may become hell.

CherchezLaghost Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CherchezLaghost (52)
Very Mild Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Another sumptuous treat from the Esoterica line. This is a full flavored English mixture that distinguishes itself from a field of strong competitors. A most unique blend. Firstly, i must say that the oriental component here imparts a very exotic, pungent, and lush element to the flavor. My guess is that this is augmented by a top note, but if so it is deftly done, and its possible that the varietals themselves are solely responsible for the piquancy. Latakia is employed perfectly, it is rich and cool and woody. There is an anise/licorice note throughout that melds softly with the latakia in an incense-like way. The lack of virginia sweetness results in a dry, fragrant, muted smoky depth that is unique in its class. I have 2 pipes dedicated to the blend, both small bowled. Try this if you favor unique English blends driven by oriental bases. It is a wonderful smoke. Light on nicotine, this is one i savour for its scent and flavor alone. A deep, lovely well crafted mixture for contemplative moods, one that i keep an 8oz stock of and smoke only very rarely. I have a tin of its relation pembroke that has been in my cellar for nearly 3 years and have yet to open it...i find it hard to imagine margate being better with added cognac, but one of these days i will give it a spin and find out!

Pipe Used: Briars

Age When Smoked: New to 2 yrs

Purchased From: Smokers Haven

Chr1st0sm1t Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Chr1st0sm1t (4)
Medium None Detected Very Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Finally managed to get my hands on some of these due to the generosity of a friend visiting the States. This was the second smoke out of a brand new Savinelli and man! What a great smoke! My tastes have recently gravitated to oriental heavy English blends and this just fits that bill perfectly. Out of the tin rich, moldy, deep like freshly ground coffee with some sweetness added. A fine ribbon cut that needs a fair amount of drying time though, but once done packs sweetly into the bowl. First light is where the action begins and immediately the that first indicator of an oriental for me comes racing to the fore: a sweet, rose like flavour that pleasantly fills your mouth quickly followed by the rich chocolaty/coffee/woodfire taste of quality latakia. Heavenly. Normally I keep myself busy while smoking a pipe...reading, watching a video, whatever...but this held all of my attention. Right to the end where many other tobaccos tend to fade, that floral sweetness and smoky richness stayed. Absolutely delicious. Two downsides though: during the bowl it did seem as if the pipe got exceptionally hot every now and again. Even putting it down only alleviated it for a short time. This is probably due to the pipe being new, but cannot recall it getting this hot during its first smoke. And then towards the end of the bowl my tongue was definitely taking a bit of strain. Not so much proper tongue bite as with some Virginias, but almost a gradual drying out like when you've had a couple of bites too many of spicy food. But not enough to deter from four starts for me, definitely a top notch tobacco.

Pipe Used: Savinelli

Age When Smoked: 1 month out of tin

Purchased From: Friend

Similar Blends: Dunhill London Mixture, Gawith Hoggarth Balkan Mix.

moniker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
moniker (102)

Margate is another high-quality blend from ET. Tin note and light are well-tempered Latakia, and the light and the initial aroma and taste include the incense that Margate shares with ET's And So To Bed. Nice, and "sophisticated", indeed, but not my first choice for an everyday smoke. Like some other ET blends, the (shag in this case) tobacco loads, lights and smokes well when still "damp", needing only tapping (as opposed to poking or tamping) to keep it lit. The Oriental ("Turkish") tobaccos come up as the shag is (quickly) smoked down, and the blue-gray smoke and the taste take on a sharper, sourer note that I quite like. IMO, the best of this blend is the last of it. While I don't especially care for the immediate "smoky" aftertaste, this soon evens out to and lingers as the best of the final smoking notes.

All in all, an "impressive", fairly satisfying, Lat-forward blend that I hesitate to call a true English. Today I smoked Margate after a bowl of Orcilla Mixture (and after clearing my palate), and IMO Margate is "less" in the way of tobacco, per se, while being "more" in the way of component parts and "effects".

Pryhosm Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pryhosm (112)

Margate is another 1st class blend from the Esoterica line from the Germain family. The tin note is very similar to the current version of Balkan Sobranie (also made by Germain). This is an Oriental/Turkish forward blend that is in a bed of wonderful Virginia's and top shelf Cyprian Latakia. The VA sweetness with the woody, spicy and sour orientals supported by smokey and incense like Latakia is heavenly. The flavor of this tobacco is also the stuff of legend (this will be one of those blends that will be whispered about if it ever goes away like the old BS tobacco's). This is blend that will taste different in different pipes, it will vary with smoking cadence and even the shape of the bowl. It is complexity defined. I will say that this blend sings in meerschaum pipes. I have tried to nail this one down prior to reviewing, it is so good and it has such a range I wanted to make sure I had a good relationship with her so that I could review it effectively and maybe help someone with their introduction, it is an elusive blend and our hard earned cash deserves to be spent well.

So if you have a meer, smoke that one first. If you have deep wide bowled briar, I found them to be the best. If you have a bog oak / morta pipe that is also a temple for this blend. This blend smokes best dry (IMHO). The base of Virginia's is what I get first. Sweet, bready, hay loft old hay. Grassy flavors with earth and a hint of citrus (I am not sure if what I get is citrus from the VA or a hint of sour from the Orient). The Orientals are wonderful. I wish I knew what VA's were included but I am fairly sure there is yenidje and smyrna present in meaningful quantities. There is a "fizzy" or seltzer like taste I get on the retrohale and the nuances from the orientals come out even clearer in a morta or meer. They are spicy and woody: cedar, balsa wood and hickory come to mind. The latakia is a support condiment. It is sweet and smokey. The malty flavors get richer and richer as you smoke through the bowl. When dried you can smoke this to a white ash with 2 matches. Light on nicotine but big on flavor. The rarity of this blend makes it an occasional smoke but it could be a "desert island" blend, one to smoke often and forever. For those of you that also have a tin of Pembroke, this is Pembroke sans cognac. I have never had a blend of this caliber and complexity aided by a topping. Pembroke actually takes the flavor of this wonderful blend to another level, it actually makes it better. (a review for another...review). I wouldn't want to replace Margate with Pembroke but it is truly amazing what Germain did with adding a topping to a base blend: I highly recommend trying both.

Pipe Used: briar's, cob's and meerschaum

Age When Smoked: 1 year +

Purchased From: B&M

Dr.James Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dr.James (28)
Medium Very Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

Margate reminds me of Bach’s Goldberg variations in the way the tobaccos interplay as the flavors are consistent yet dynamic. The Virginias are grassy sweet and citrus exuding quince and plum notes and are in the background. The premium Cypran latakia is dry, silky smooth and redolent of hickory smoke. The select Orientals are spicy, slightly floral sweet and nutty. There is a light topping, perhaps plum, which has a harmonizing effect on the blend. Slightly moist and may need dry time, the ribbon cut is easy to pack and keep lit requiring few relights as it burns evenly to a salt and pepper ash. No harsh or dull spots and won’t bite your tounge. A must try Oriental forward English blend.

Mottled in color, this is almost a shag cut of very thin ribbons. In fact, I'm not sure I know where that line is drawn, but I would still call this a ribbon. Classic English blend tin nose. I've had this in my cellar for almost three years but for some reason never felt like opening it until now.

Classic English blend flavor as well. The latakia is front and center but not overpowering. I distinguish English blends from Balkan blends by the power and flavor of the orientals used, and this one is classic English, as the orientals are very subservient to the latakia and somewhat to the Virginias. The latakia is powerful and sweet, with all the campfire essences noted. The Virginias are very lightly tangy with the barest hint of citrus. However, they aren't just a base for the latakia and orientals - they have quite the personality. The orientals are smooth and mellow with a hint of sour and spice. Two things of personal note on this blend - first, it grew on me. Two or three bowls of this does not tell the story - it requires a full tin to take this one's measure. It's not just a lat bomb. Second, the name "Esoterica" means to a lot of smokers something very special. To me, it means Stonehaven and a host of fairly ordinary blends. Nothing wrong with this one - in fact, if you enjoy a lat blend on the heavier side, you could do a lot worse than this one. My point is you could also do a lot better IMHO.

kppeterson Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
kppeterson (19)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium Tolerable to Strong

Quintessentially english. This and Murray's era London Mixture set the bar when I started smoking non-aromatics. The perfect balance of latakia, virginias and orientals. Here's the rub (at least for me); all Germain made tobacco's I have smoked leave me with the worst, ashy aftertaste. Margate, Penzance, Best Blend, Exotique, Krumble Kake, Cognac, it doesn't matter, they make me feel like I just ate an ashtray. I can smoke things like Westminster. Smyrna or Squadron Leader and get the "quintessentially english" vibe and with a great aftertaste. That said this is probably my favorite Germain tobacco and while it might be sacrilege I'd take this over Penzance given the choice.

Pipe Used: Ashton, Savinelli Bing & Corallo, Charatan

Similar Blends: Westminster, Penzance, Our Best Blend, Krumble Kake, Solani Blend 779.

ASmithee Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ASmithee (20)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium to Full Very Pleasant

I enjoy this tobacco blend very much and highly recommend it. The tin note is similar to Penzance, a blend I prize. The moisture level, in my opinion, is just right. Some might find this too moist but I do not; I have no problem lighting a well packed pipe full of Margate and maintaining a consistent burn. The shag cut of the tobacco makes for long strands that pack easily. The smoke is flavorful and leaves the familiar creamy after taste that I get with Penzance. Margate is light in nicotine which is probably it's only drawback but I find this allows for a pleasant mid-day smoke.

I am not sure why this is not as popular as Penzance. Because Margate does not typically experience the short supply one finds with Penzance, I recommend trying this blend.

Pipe Used: Chenod

Purchased From: Iwan Ries

DeathMetal.org Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DeathMetal.org (121)

Summary: A mild English with plenty of flavor, strong internal sweetness and nicely balanced extremes.

Esoterica blends remind me of the death metal band Immolation. When listening to it, most people like it, but then forget about it when it is not there. Similarly, I can appreciate these blends at the time, but then turn toward something with more personality. "Margate" offers a mix of Virginias that spans the range from sweet to bready, then adds in a fair dose of Latakia and Orientals. Somewhere in here the extremes of the Latakias have been muted and the bitterness of the Orientals tamed, with the Virginia present but mostly absorbing those flavors into its own. This smokes exceptionally well good burn and a mild, gentle flavor, but beyond that offers nothing to distinguish itself from other medium Englishes.

Similar Blends: Dunhill - Standard Mixture Mellow, Dunhill - Baby's Bottom (My Mixture BB1938).

NobbyR Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
NobbyR (79)

So this is the original blend that's being flavored with Cognac for Esotericas's Pembroke.

The dark tobacco is also a fine ribbon cut (almost a shag) and contains a generous share of Latakia. The tin note is rich and peaty with just a touch of sweetness. In a fresh tin it tends to be on the moist side with the tobacco strands clinging together, which can make packing and lighting a little difficult.

The taste is also rich as well as creamy and nutty with hints of dark chocolate from the Latakia and a subtle natural, tangy sweetness from the Virginia grades. It's a full bodied, satisfying smoke that goes along well with a cup of fragrant cappuccino, all this time being mild on your tongue when enjoyed with leisure. I find it a great tobacco to start the day with. It burns down to some powdery greying ash.

The room note is equally heavy and smoky.

Pipe Used: Rattray's 110th Anniversary

Purchased From: www.cupojoes.com

Similar Blends: Dunhill Early Morning Pipe.

wags888 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
wags888 (11)
Medium None Detected Medium Strong

I love this tobacco. It's less smooth and creamy than Penzance. The latakia is more campground campfire vs. deck built-in campfire. I'm new to pipe smoking, so I'm looking forward to Margate with some age on it in the next few years.

Pipe Used: Stanwell 37

Age When Smoked: 6 mos.

Autumn joy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Autumn joy (48)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant

Esoterica Margate is a very good English oriental blend. The Latakia in this blend is very good and the orientals work well with that. The virginia provides a sweetness and as with all esoterica blends there is that little something something I haven't been able to put my finger on. The tobacco comes in a shag cut and is really easy to pack and smoke. I purchased a 8oz bag and the dampness was for me just right. I know others would probably give this some drying time before smoking. I did enjoy this blend and I would reccomend this blend but the hype on all the esoterica blends isn't anything I would pay more then the base price for. There are a lot of other great blends out there. However if you do see this one I would pick it up for sure. Overall simply put this is a very enjoyable English blend.

Pipe Used: Rusticated Tomato

Age When Smoked: Unknown

Purchased From: Allegheny Smokeworks Blawnox,Pa

Similar Blends: Butera Pelican.

Bruck Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bruck (27)
Medium None Detected Medium Unnoticeable

Bought this at a B&M based on a nice canister aroma. Very smooth and balanced English, with my friend Latakia present but not obtrusive. Burns well, some vitamin N, no tongue bite, very nice overall smoke. Definitely on my get-more-of list.

Pipe Used: Altinok Meer

Age When Smoked: 6 mo.

Purchased From: B&M

Llewellyn Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Llewellyn (9)

Amazing tobacco with similar flavour to Penzance, but not as full flavoured and a little sharper on the tongue. Enjoyed in standard and large bowls alike.

Pipe Used: Large

Purchased From: Cupojoes

Medium Very Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

I would call this a narrow ribbon and not a shag. Mine was in a bag of uncertain vintage recieved as a gift from a friend. When I jarred it, the bag had small holes in the creases where you could see the light. It was slightly dry. I would recommend not waiting to jar once you get a bag. I have been smoking it as came out of the bag, but I might try hydrating it a little. If that produces a significantly different smoke, I will edit the review.

The blend is a very smooth, and presents as a mellow aged smoke. Initial impression was oriental with a medium smoky latakia. The oriental spiciness diminished as the bowl progressed and I picked up some dark Virginia notes. This leads me to suspect that some of the spice is a mild topping.

This was a good smoke, but it did not knock my socks off. I found it to be a medium Balkan that easy to recommend.

TheAdversary Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TheAdversary (4)
Overwhelming Very Strong Overwhelming Extra Strong

Got this in my pipe tobacco of the month club offering and am wondering who I angered to get sent this vile substance. I now know why esoterica is so hard to get, as superfund sites are cleaned up and closed down the toxic soil needed to grow the tobacco used in making this horrid blend becomes more scarce by the day.

Ok that may have been a bit of an overstatement, but i have never had a worse tasting tobacco, and I have sampled many dozens in my pipe smoking odyssey. Starting from first light my entire mouth felt like it was on fire, and the most peculiar bitterness settled on the back of my tongue. I tried to persevere, thinking it would pass, but this strange bitter oily smoke only got worse, to cool things off I tried sipping on some iced tea and it was like throwing gasoline on a fire, I was literally gasping in pain.

I gave up. Emptied the bowl, threw out the bag, and it was almost two days before I could smoke anything again. Thankfully it did not ghost my pipe, and I am not one of those drugstore aro smokers, I like a strong English blend as much as the next guy. But there was just something about that blend that my body chemistry rebelled against. Good on ya if you can get along with it. But be warned, for some folks out there it'll blister your tongue and peel the lining from the inside of your mouth.

Pipe Used: Dunhill bruyere pot

Purchased From: Pipesandcigars.com

Similar Blends: Battery acid.

Stutter818 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Stutter818 (51)
Medium None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

Spicy, latakia with a sweet undertone. Very clean smoke - got a hint of a slight potential bite since I was puffing on it for a while consistently. Very high quality tobacco - perfect moisture, not dry tasting or feeling. Very fine ribbon cut.

Pipe Used: Dunhill Estate Pot Sitter

Purchased From: Straus Tobacconist

I am of the opinion that J.F. Germain makes their best blends under their Esoterica label. Margate is another winner and it is no surprise that it is sometimes difficult to obtain. The tin scent offers a musty, smoky smell that I find very inviting. Like many of the Germain blends, the cut of the tobacco is very thin. It is important to “pack with care” to get the most out of Margate. There is a generous helping of Latakia in Margate, but for me, the Orientals are the star of the show. I have smoked many tins of Margate, and it is wonderful just out of a fresh tin as well as a tin with several years of age on it. The Oriental tobacco(s) in Margate do offer a bit of sweetness, but it is mainly with age and more subtle than one would find in Virginias. Margate has a flavor profile that is somewhat unique among English blends. Some have referred to it as having incense like flavor and I would have to agree as I think it is the best adjective to describe Margate's taste. It certainly has its own niche in a world filled with countless English blends. I can't quite go to four stars with Margate only because it doesn't quite hold my interest as long as some other English blends and it seems to be in and out of my regular rotation. By the same token, it always seems to find its way back. LOL!

zulujerk Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
zulujerk (145)

I bought a tin of Margate in my search for the perfect Latakia mix. I've sampled so many in the past few years, and there are few that I return to on a regular basis. Nightcap, 965, and London Mixture have hit the heavy rotation with Dunhill's return to the American market, and I was looking for a strong Oriental counterpart to London Mixture for the sake of comparison.

Esoterica makes excellent tobacco, and in the esteem for Penzance, there are several in the line that have become sleeper blends for me. Margate fits that description. It is heavy on the Orientals and quite full, whereas most in that category are somewhat wimpy.

Browsing the reviews some time ago I came upon the astonishing claim that the blend is entirely composed of Oriental leaf and its smokier variety, Latakia. I just couldn't believe it--a Latakia heavy blend without any Virginias? I immediately pulled out my tin and began smoking away, curious whether this could be true. When evaluating the Oriental component, I make it a habit to pull the smoke through the nasal cavity to check for spiciness. In return, I was rewarded with a full onslaught of peppery spice. My appreciation for Margate hit a new high, and I dutifully consumed my remaining tin in short time.

Margate is an excellent counterpart to both London Mixture and Sam Gawith's Skiff Mixture, blends big on the Orientals. It lacks some of the sweetness that both exhibit due to the apparent lack of Virginia leaf, but it never feels light, or overwhelming. If you're mourning the inability to score a tin of Penzance, check this out...I think you'll find it a novel substitute, held to the same high standards of the entire Esoterica line.

Cochon74 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Cochon74 (29)

As a lover of English Blends, Balkans and pretty much anything with Latakia in it, I was intrigued by Margate... a blend without Va? Wow? Really? Also, having chanced upon several tins of Penzance several months ago and LOVING it, I was curious to try another Esoterica blend.

A couple of initial thoughts... I've read comparisons between Margate and its sibling Penzance. There is simply no point in comparing them. They are apples and oranges. The second thing to address. According to the literature, there is not a shred of Virginia leaf in Margate. Judging from the taste, I believe it.

Margate is high on flavor with the enormous amounts of Latakia and Orientals involved. Everything is pretty straightforward to my palate. No surprises here. The absence of Virginias strikes me most in the depth/structure department. When I puff, I get all the smoky goodness of the lat and the more exotic notes from the Orientals... which I love so much that I don't miss the sweetness some VA would lend to this. But without the grounding leaf, the flavors have nothing to cling to and are fleeting.

This is not a bad thing, necessarily. In fact, I find this superb blend to be perfect for the warm days of summer, as it has that "airy," unstructured quality which gives me big flavor without too much complexity or weight. Moreover, the simplicity of the flavor profile makes it a nice smoke for those more casual smoking expreriences. Sometimes I don't want to think about what I'm smoking, but still enjoy it.

Margate is a pretty shaggy cut, but I found it just right for packing and lighting in terms of moisture and cut. It can burn a little hot, especially if you puff too hard. It also gets very acrid and harsh... more so and more easily than other tobaccos when smoked too hard.

All in all, I like this smoke. I'll come back to it when my tin is finished, but probably not cellar any, as I've read that time is not good to Latakia in the absence of Virginia leaf. It appears to be in ample supply and I'll look forward to buying my next tin.

Update 8/29/11: Ok... just smoked a rather large bowl of Margate outside on the patio... possibly the coolest night I've felt in 2 months or more. This blend is rather magical. The latakia is a dark, oily canvas on which the Orientals in Margate positively danced. Again, I'll say that this blend is not subtle. It doesn't work like, say, Squadron Leader - where everything is perfectly integrated and balanced. Margate sets you down a smoky path with densely swirling exotic notes Dried herbs, church incense without the cloying perfume - all moving across the charred, woodsy landscape of the Cyprian weed. The lack of sweetness is completely un-missed. I really like this stuff. I'll keep it at three stars, but much more assuredly.

Peppino Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Peppino (74)

Very similar to 965 as I remember. Stays lit, burns evenly and smokes dry, leaves a clean gray ash. The flavor gets richer at the 1/2 way point with a nice finish. Great tobacco! As I have said on other reviews this is aged between 7-8 yrs. My next tins will not have that issue now that I'm back to my pipes!:) :Update the bulk version is a little moist and needs some dry time. However that said, this is still a great tobacco that I know now ages well. A great smoke that everyone should try at some point.

The Sunday Evening Pipe Smoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The Sunday Evening Pipe Smoker (41)

I often feel as though these smaller blends take on a status that is perhaps disproportionate from their relative merits, driven in part by their 'exotic' quality, and particularly because of the scarcity of their availability -- which thus makes them seem somehow more desireable.

Margate is certainly in that category for me. It's and English, period; a sort of "meat and potatoes" type blend.

Is it worth the hype? I don't personally think so. You'd be as well off to just focus on easier to get Englishes like Plum Pudding or GL Pease Westminster.

HabaneroHardy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
HabaneroHardy (46)
Medium None Detected Medium Unnoticeable

I am finishing the last of my Margate that I bought in 2011. This is a really excellent tobacco. I have not smoked much of this because I kept buying new blends over the years. It is fairly spicy and smokes well with the ribbon cut but it does not last very long in the pipe. Not sure if I will buy it again but a really good blend to try.

Pipe Used: Savanelli Autograph #4 Free Style

Purchased From: Liberty Tobacco, Kearny Mesa, CA

Darth Vader Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Darth Vader (110)

This is as English as they come. Good full latakia taste which is well balanced by the orientals and underlying virginia. A full smoke which is sure to please most. The two word review: well balanced.

As an aside Peter Stokkebye's Proper English has a very similar taste profile but is lacking in the refinement that Margate has but is a lot cheaper and is always available, which is not the case for Esoterica products.

JustinCarcerated Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JustinCarcerated (99)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

Been patient to not open this tin till 2 years of age, smoked a jar of Penzance directly prior thinking I might find semblances of similarities.

The most positive note I can give about this blend relates to the cut-a super fine shag that lends itself well to packing...I so wish now that I've experienced this cut that I would see it again, and again. It fluffy and yet compresses fantastically bowl after bowl.

The doily itself was thoroughly saturated and still moist upon opening; the note a muted English where peat latakia and high quality orientals ruled the senses.

But alas, for me-it remained muted throughout the smoke, yes some sweetness early on, but inevitably that turned bitey, bowl upon bowl of a near insidious bite. This may have been influenced by operator error on my part-trying to best pack that angel hair like cut might have promoted it somewhat. Still it seemed a trait from Virginia.

Very Squadron Leader - like to me, which leads me to consider the (for me at least) Turkish components' influence in both blends,-which to my palate subdues the overall flavor profile.

I would smoke again though, and was pleased to try an English in the 'old style '...whatever that entails.

Pipe Used: Briars & Meers

Purchased From: Pipes&Cigars

Similar Blends: Squadron Leader.

TSchiraldi Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TSchiraldi (5)
Strong None Detected Full Very Strong

Strong, full, well balanced, creamy smoke! Top ten in my rotation. This is not for the faint of heart! Margate's Latakia and Orientals play off each other as you progress through the bowl. First hit is Latakia forward. Smoky and deep. Half way through the bowl, the other Orientals take center stage with a spicy sweetness. Bottom third is a very nice balance of the two. The shag cut burns easily and evenly. Keep a firm tamp on it and you won't have many re-lights and the flavors will stay in balance. Very nice mid-day smoke!

Pipe Used: Savinelli Nonpareil, Caminetto Business

Purchased From: Tinder Box

Similar Blends: Peterson's Balkan Delight.

WillBrown Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
WillBrown (108)
Medium to Strong Very Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

This is a really good English blend. It's somewhat Latakia forward and has some pep, but remains relatively smooth. It's a tad too round for me (I'd prefer something a bit lighter). I'd choose this blend over My Mixture, for instance, but would rather smoke Chipman Hill or Beck's or something more along those lines. Margate's a good effort though.

Keep on Piping!

Pipe Used: Molina bent

rade19 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
rade19 (7)
Medium Medium to Strong Full Very Pleasant

Superb blend! You will remember the old days, an extraordinary blend of high quality tobaccos. It needs to be smoked very slow, because tends to burn intensely if you neglect the action, some times is better to put the pipe aside for a while, until the bowl is cold again and when you catch the way, it will be one of your better moments.

Pipe Used: charatan

Purchased From: smokingpipes

Similar Blends: Scottish blend from Compton's of Galashield.

From Etten Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
From Etten (22)
Medium Medium Medium Tolerable

8-Pleasure, satisfaction; 9-Top note, slip stream aroma, sipping the embers; 8- Delivery, balance, burn; 9-Blend composition, quality, flavor profile; 7-Pack, relight, develop, room note. Too much for me in the nic which transfered over into a lower score for me, otherwise it is really a quality smoke (for some). 2 1/2 Star

Pipe Used: cob

Age When Smoked: Pouch fresh

Purchased From: Pipes & Cigars

ERader Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ERader (5)

Not much more I can say than what other esteemed pipe lovers had already stated.... I am a fan of Esotericas blends. High quality tobaccos as they seem to pay attention to every detail. If you want a high quality English blend this is for you! One of the best regarding balance and flavor.

Amsteracqua Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Amsteracqua (22)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable

Oh my Lord... How i say this without offend anybody here...? First: this is a good English Blend, but is far away of is the best English blend of the Esoterica... this taste is smooth, at same time are complex (this is a trait for esoterica's tobacco, no doubt about this) I have smoked this mixture for these days and I've seen this smoke bites a lot, generally in the half to the final, and I smoke so slow... i really never seen this in one English blend. This is a only negative point in this tobacco. And I cant leave to say about your flavor is so rich and complex at same time smooth (regarding the power of nicotine). In the portion bulk the smell is amazing. I have about 20gr, more or less, and for to evaluate best I will change all pipes, who I have used in these days. If change my opinion, I edit this review.

drdave Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
drdave (15)
Medium Medium Medium Tolerable to Strong

Fresh from the tin Latakia just overpowers the other Orientals. With a long, long, long drying time the other tobaccos finally show up and the smoke becomes more complex in taste. The finish is dominated by the Lat. To each his own, and I won't be owning more of this.

samcoffeeman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
samcoffeeman (33)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Pleasant

I'm a new pipe smoker. I have recently tried some mcclellands, some of the middle earth blends from justforhim, and a pipe of afternoon delight. This was my first latakia blend. I thoroughly enjoyed it. I found it to be the most flavorful tobacco I had smoked yet. It was smooth and left a really nice lingering flavor on the pallette. The gentlemen around me in the smoking lounge at my local shop noted that the aroma was very nice. There was a gentleman next to me smoking some afternoon delight. I had heard of that and we decided to share a bowl with each other. I do not think he enjoyed the margate as much as I did. I got the feeling it was too strong for his tastes. If I was going to try to make a comparison, if you like strong coffee and fancy beers, you will love and appreciate the flavor of this blend. If you are more of a lite beer guy, stick with afternoon delight. I give this tobacco a rating of very enjoyable. Not an everyday smoke, this flavor will stay on your palate for quite some time afterward.

Wellpipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Wellpipe (59)

I wanted to like this blend more than I do. I find it to be almost identical to SG Squadron Leader- easy on the tongue, generous on the Latakia, ribbon cut easy to pack with an easy burn, and volumes of creamy smoke. Unfortunately (like SL) it did not impress me in the flavor department. Just not a lot there, and it leaves me with an ashy taste in my mouth. I will try again in a few months, but for now I can only give it two stars.

juvat Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
juvat (36)
Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Good, solid, medium-bodied English blend. Very reminiscent of Squadron Leader or Sutliffe's Blend No.5. I prefer the shag cut of Margate out of the three and of course the quality of the tobacco used is superb, as can be expected from Esoterica.

If your looking for a nice, classic English blend, look no further.

deepbass9 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
deepbass9 (7)

I'm all about variety, I'm all about quality and my palate is wider than many. Tobacco moisture, tongue bite, mood, smoking circumstances and other controllable variables won't be covered. This review is based on multiple bowls over time.

Margate delivers great taste in a very unassuming package. The Orientals have the smallest bit of tang, but plenty of sweetness as well. They balance the Lat easily. Not the fullest smoke, the most complex flavor, or the biggest body...but I'm not always looking for those things.

This a very good tobacco.

gladi8tor96 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
gladi8tor96 (133)
Strong None Detected Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I have found that I am an oriental fan, when it comes to the different pipe weed leaves. This blend reminds me a bit of the P.S. English Luxury, but with a bit more of a kick and lot more complexity. I'd have to say it's heavier in Latakia and would be a 'medium-full' lat. blend in my H.O. Very rich and creamy. Definitely has a strong N-kick to it. I will get more of this in the future. I really enjoyed this tobacco.

Pipe Used: Bent Billard, Dublin, Egg, Acorn

Age When Smoked: New from store - 1-2 years

Purchased From: Pipesandcigars.com

Similar Blends: G. L. Pease - Gaslight (Old London Series).

fireball Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
fireball (36)
Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

A very nice, slightly sweet medium English with a fine ribbon cut. The sugary taste it leaves on my lips marks it out, similar in some ways to Solani's Luxury English, which I also like very much. Defintely a repeat and possibly bulk purchase candidate.

Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable

A classic English mixture, and one of current bests. The cut is pretty unique, something between shag and ribbon. I didn't like it at first, but then I've found it very easy to pack, allowing a regular burn with very few relights needed. This is more of a "Balkan" than Penzance, relying more on Orientals. Both are top notch Englishes, and I'll have around for as long as they and I exist.

Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant

This is Dunhills EMP with a touch more Latakia. Both have that lemon background, probably from the orientals. I love EMP as my first of the day rotation and I could see myself substituting Margate on occasion.Both EMP and Margate have that ribbon (hair texture) cut that I find very easy to pack and sometimes over pack. Margate's Latakia comes through a little stronger, but this does not overpower the orientals. I find EMP to be a short smoke, just when your getting into it, the pipe is done. On the other hand, Margate, seems to burn slower, has less smoke (but a slightly hotter smoke?)and you get more satisfaction from the overall pipe full. This will be my mid-morning tobacco.

Highly recommended

UPDATED 5/6/11 I have found some problems with this tobacco,it bites because it comes a little too damp to smoke and needs some drying. Second, it doesn't burn evenly in the bowl and actually becomes difficult to tamp.There are two diffrent cuts of tobacco a shag ( hair) and a broken flake, these have two diffrent burn rates and are difficult to control. I've reduced my rating to SR

Update 7/6/11 After letting this breath and dry some, this has improved and most of the bite is gone. You must smoke this slow. Doesn't produce a lot of smoke, best smoked at a smolder. Bumped back up to "recommended". This would be a 4 star if it wasn't so hard to deal with the diffrent cuts of tobacco in the blend.

tedswearingen Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tedswearingen (3)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

I've read every review on this blend and I find most of the reviews on Margate in the last year or so not true of my opinion.

I'm on my 16th ounce of Margate and 10th ounce of Pembroke, so I feel very comfortable with my thoughts on this. I think both are fantastic, but Margate, being less rich than Pembroke makes for a better traveling companion, which is something I think most of us consider on occasion.

I think POUNDER 5000's review is very true to my opinion of this tobacco and worth reading again.

"Esoterica can seriously kick some butt. This blend is magnificent. While penzance is treat at the end of the day, Margate is the perfect companion throughout. This blend delivers a good size hit of Latakia and is complex enough to fight it out with any similiar blend from Dunhill or G.L. Pease. The Virginias are sweet and the perfect back drop for the Latakia. This blend will simply not bite! I don't care what you do, it is one of the coolest smokes on the market. The closest thing to it is Nightcap, and although I won't detract from that wonderful blend, this is similiar to it minus the perique, and perhaps a little smoother. This will always remain a member of my rotation. By the way, it smokes like a champ outdoors on a brisk day, which is where you may be required to smoke it as the room note is a little strong."

I've not done hardly any reviews of pipe tobacco in the public domain. Obviously, we should all investigate every tobacco and decide for ourselves. If it's good enough, we should speak out.

Laudante Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Laudante (29)
Medium None Detected Full Strong

I was perplexed and wondering, when I saw the sporadic bad comments, if they were speaking of the same blend. I know that tastes differ, but it is strange to understand how can someone say that this is the worst thing he´s ever smoked, and that his throat ached for three days. What does someone have to do to get to those levels with this mixture? The only thing I know is that the mixture inside of the tin I have with the name Margate written on the forefront is one good tobacco.

Burning qualities are perfect, due to the fine ribbon cut (all the bowls I´ve tried have been one-match-till-white-ash bowls), and the flavor is deep and nostalgic. It is very perfumed, yes, as someone notes, but it´s the natural perfume of good latakia, and nothing else.

k_pip_k Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
k_pip_k (9)

Good bye My Mixture 965, I don't need you anymore. I've got my new girlfriend Margate. :)

I call this blend Margret myself. It is a nice satisfying smoke. It is classic in the English sense, but it does not burn harsh, it is not dripping wet, perfect moisture content.

It burns nice and slow and did not bite in the least. The flavor was present all the way to the bottom of the bowl. Some English blends are too perfumy for me, some don't have enough flavor to last through out the smoke. This does not seem to be true for Margret. I like this blend.

Just a note. I put away a pound of this stuff in a jar to age. I noticed a few flakes here and there that looked suspicious like it could have mold, so that's why I popped the jar and began smoking right away. Keep a close eye on this stuff if aging long term.

Demetri Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Demetri (113)

For me, this is one fine English blend. And I appreciate getting a 2 oz. tin vs. 50mg; it was priced right for a high quality import. As others have noted, it is in an extremely thin shag cut - thinner even than the original Sail offering before Orlik - and hence, care must be given to properly load it. Once lighted, a thoroughly enjoyable smoke especially if not stressed to overheated status. Another "thinker's" blend, one for the quiet times.

hambone71 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
hambone71 (4)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium Tolerable

I have been smoking this blend for a couple of months now and I must say that I really enjoy it. There is a taste that lingers on the roof of my mouth after each draw. I like that taste. Very earthy with a zing. It reminds me of how I drink a delicious vanilla milk shake, I tell myself to slow down and savor it but its so delicious I can't. Now, I'm only giving it 3 stars because I'm still in search of "The One" that knocks my socks off. Definitely glad I tried a tin but it may be a while before I pick up another. It'll find a way back in my rotation soon enough. Just need to try more.

Wrangler Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Wrangler (16)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Tolerable

Although I smoked my first bowl full in a pipe I have been smoking 1Q in, it was rather nice. I don't think it has the complexity serious pipe smokers would want but then again I was fighting the mild ghost of the 1Q. We'll see what the future brings with Margate. I don't believe I'll be disappointed.

Well, now I've had a chance to smoke numerous bowls of Margate most in a new pipe sans ghost. I have to say it is now one of my favorite tobaccos. It has a nice complexity and occasionally throws you a curve with a new teaser of flavor. I recommend it whole heartedly.

Medium Mild to Medium Medium Tolerable to Strong

Smoking a blend like this and with this much Latakia, the latakia is going to dominate everything. Now, with a morning cup of caffeine, this is not as bad thing and I like the taste in limited amounts. However, the orientals did keep their head just above the smokiness of the latakia and provided a sweet note on the tongue. It lit well and burned at just the right pace for me. In short I liked it a lot, it was consistent from start to finish, and left no moisture on my bowl. I like the aroma, but my neighbor did come over to my patio and said it smelled like my house burning on a rainy day. So the aroma is very strong. But tasteful it is and is a very good example of the English blend it is. If I could tweak it just a little with some perique, it could become the perfect English blend. Try it all Latakia lovers as it does not fall short of this leaf.

arpie55 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
arpie55 (64)
Strong None Detected Full Strong

i guess with this one i go against the grain, i did not like it it all. i found the flavor to be latakia overkill without much more going for it. since my son is a pipe smoker as well (he thought it was fair but not great) i had ample opportunity to catch the room note, it was bad! the smell of this one sticks in your clothes and follows you around everywhere you go. about the only way to smoke this is in the evenings just before shower and to bed, just remember to shower before going to bed or your spouse may run you off. i rate this "don't bother".

flaminbill' Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
flaminbill' (57)
Medium Mild Medium Tolerable

This is pretty good stuff. It packs well and burns very well (always a bonus). Margate is a very flavorful latakia blend. My only complaint is that it produces a noticeable tongue bite.

Old Puffer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Old Puffer (42)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

While all the favored Balkan named baccys like sobranie and sasieni seem like heavyweights, I find Margate to be a fine medium to lightweight Balkan.

After a lengthy session of picking out sticks, I packed it into an average size GBD and had a very delightful smoke. This stuff comes at just the right moisture, packs easily, lights easily and stays lit well. Does not smoke hot, no hint of a bite, no gurgles, no strong build-up near the bottom of the bowl and left a dry, light grey ash and left me feeling totally satisfied. The tobaccos seem to be of the highest grade and the blending is superb.

I find Margate to be one of the finest tobaccos I have ever smoked and recommend it for 5 stars right under my favorite Count Pulaski.

Tripjoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tripjoker (65)

This is one tasty tobacco!

I was very impressed with the presentation and the burn characteristics. The flavor is sublime.

I know this is going to be considered heresy by many, but I prefer this to Westminster. The flavors are far more balanced and is subject to far fewer relights. Let's face it, working at smoking a bowl is not as satisfying as just kicking back after that initial char burn with a single match and being transported to another place and time. This blend does that.

I found my tin to be a little damp for my personal tastes and dried some to almost a crisp state (my preferred texture). Straight out of the tin, you could see the promise, but the humidity got in the way of the really big show.

After drying for about two hours, I loaded my corncob and we were off to the races. What a difference the drying time made! The latakia and orientals were absolutely fantastic. The virginia was there as well, but did exactly as it is supposed to do in an english blend. That is, to support the latakia and orientals, not try to overshadow them. It starts of a little light for me, but quickly picked up in strength and taste to a desirable med/full.

I can't say enough about this tobacco. It is surely one of the standards that all med/full english blends should be judged by. If only Dunhill still produced weed this wonderful.

If you like the genre, you should like this one alot.

UPDATE: After smoking this for several months on a faily regular basis, for me anyway, I have to reduce the rating to 3 stars.

Now, I do this because of my own initial enthusiasm with the blend. Occasionally, I will settle down to a little lower scoring profile for a partcular blend once I'm VERY familiar with it. (i.e. smoking 2-3 bowls a day for several months)

This is one of those blends. It is so close to 4 stars that when you first try it on for size, you fall in lust briefly. Then, it becomes a very good friend with benefits....LOL And to me that ain't 4 stars. Still a great blend though.

tabaco Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tabaco (111)
Mild None Detected Very Full Very Pleasant

Salutations, permit me to begin by stating that in my view 'strength' refers to the nicotine content. I do not find this tobacco nor its sister blend Penzance to be very high in nicotine. That being said, I do not smoke for that reason, simply for the flavours. I also really enjoy the room aroma of Latakia infused tobacco, hence it is most pleasant in my books. I am sure others would beg to differ.

I find this blend to be quite similar to Penzance in some respects, yet different in others. It is a ribbon cut as opposed to pressed slice. I would say it is not quite as intense as Penzance, and for me it's a great early morning to early evening smoke; a quintessential all day smoke. Afterwards I would prefer to finish the evening with a bowl or two of Penzance. Unless of course it's forty below outside, that would be Penzance throughout the day and into the evening with a cigar or two, just for good measure. I should reiterate that I am a Latakia fiend and thus these two blends are the best I have ever put a match to. I also really enjoy, G.L. Pease Odyssey and Cornell and Diehl Billy Budd. Nonetheless, these Esoterica blends are the very peak of Mount Latakia for me.

constantsmoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
constantsmoker (65)

A wonderfully full and satisfying English blend on a par with Penzance, its sister blend. Consistent interplay of spicey Orientals and Latakia makes this a 'must have' for your tobacco stash. Well-mixed ribbon cut lights easily and delivers a rich flavor for the entire bowl. Although some have descibed Margate as the ribbon-cut version of Penzance, Margate has a 'texture' of its own. A delight to smoke.

Jaybee Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jaybee (77)
Medium Medium Medium to Full Tolerable

For me, Margate is the quintessential "English", offering both mildness and full flavor at the same time. Unlike a variety of similar tobaccos, the elements in Margate seem to compliment each other without really competing. I buy this in bulk form and get better results when I separate the strands before loading. The bulk seems a little moister than in the tin, but this affects only the burn qualities, not the flavor or richness. A contemplative smoke that somehow transports me to a different place and time, when relaxation and contemplation were just what the doctor ordered.. Most highly recommended.

Fumatore Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Fumatore (48)

I just realized that I had not rated one of my favorites, one that I have been smoking for at least 10 years now. This blend is exceptional and I find no real comparison to Penzance except that both have lots of Latakia. Margate has a distinct musty or sour taste that is very pleasing. I am smoking some from my cellar that is at 3 years old and find it superb, but the new weed fresh is just about as delicious. If you like a stout English give it try. I am certain you won?t be disappointed.

RMBittner Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
RMBittner (66)

The aroma in the tin is rich with latakia, and that's the first flavor that the greets the match. Once the pipe is going, the latakia gives way to an occasional visit by the orientals and a more lingering stay by the Virginias. At the end, the latakia again comes to the fore.

For me, Margate is heavy beams, dark shadows, and the whiff of pungent incense. The orientals are dark and deliciously mellow, while still providing that distinct tang that I find so appealing. And the Virginias taste toasted to me, round and dark, not sweet or sharp or "bright/lively" in the bowl.

If thought of simply as a "full English," Margate is one among many. But it stands on its own, and I believe it's worth seeking out. It's nothing like London Mixture or 965; it's no standard-issue English. Its qualities are more in line with the dark, toasty characteristics of Presybterian Mixture. (I was trying Margate and Presbyterian during the same cycle and found that, surprisingly, they are far more similar than they are different -- despite a huge difference in latakia content.) Fire up a bowl when you have the time to give it your attention, and I think you'll be richly rewarded.

Pipepundit Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipepundit (168)

This winter I have been smoking Odyssey, Pembroke, Penzance, Red Rapparee and Margate. To my taste buds Margate is different from Penzance. I cannot say whether the virginias are different or the orientals are different. Penzance - and Odyssey - are creamy and buttery in mouth feel, whereas Margate has a sharper edge, and is slightly stronger in nicotine. I am also tempted to say that Margate is to Penzance as Red Rapparee is to Black Mallory, but that would not capture the distinction quite as the difference between the latter two is much greater.

Margate is a magnificent smoke, worthy of each of the accolades it has recieved. Recommended without any reservations to smokers of English mixtures.

AL Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
AL (24)
Medium None Detected Full Pleasant to Tolerable

An excellent blend in tin or by bulk. The bulk version is well mixed and appears to be identical to the tin, the bulk is a little dryer than the tinned in my experience. Aging does enhance this blend. I go through cycles with a lot of blends where I smoke it then get tired of the blend and switch to another. Not Margate, this is an everyday smoke for me. The Latakia is not overdone and the Orientals are in perfect proportion for my tastes. On its own merits I find this to be an excellent medium English.

Fife&Drum Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Fife&Drum (32)
Mild to Medium None Detected Full Strong

Um...let's see... Penzance, Margate, Pembroke...Or is it Margate, Penzance, Pembroke...Or is it Pembroke, Margate, Penzance. Ah forget it. You get the picture. Excellent Englishes all! You can't go wrong with these IMO!

tacoeatingzebra Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tacoeatingzebra (37)
Strong None Detected Very Full Pleasant to Tolerable

now... margate is good, there's no doubt... powerful latakia booming in stereo with spicy/sour/sweet orientals that kick in toward the bottom of the bowl. it is undoubtedly the same basic stuff as the great king of all english blends -- penzance-- but it think the fact that it's already rubbed out or cut or whatever kind of makes it about a quarter of a notch milder. the cut of margate is interesting; it almost looks like you could roll cigarettes out of it. i do love it.

Satc001 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Satc001 (66)

Overall, this is a pretty decent tobacco. I felt like there wasn't a whole lot of Latakia in it, but many orientals. It burns well, it smells good, but in my opinion, the flavor leaves something to desire. Margates flavor seems to have a smoked meat flavor to it, and just doesn't work for me. The quality is there, but the flavor isn't.

Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

With the demise of Dunhill, it is becoming more difficult to find true English blends. Germain blends are thus becoming more treasured around my home. This is a wonderful medium full blend. It has the characteristic Germain anise character, perhaps their trademark. Though a bit pricey, I find this to be a perfect evening smoke. It is smooth yet flavorful, without the wallop that the old Dunhill blends used to give me. It is consequently more soothing. It is a bit pricey. However it repays the investment in full, with interest. I love this now, and will especially enjoy it when the weather turns cool.

Also, make sure you have time to sit down and enjoy this. It is meant to be savored. Very satisfying.

OSR Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
OSR (78)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Very Pleasant

For those of you who wonder what Balkan Sobranie 759 was like, buy a tin of this. My opinion is that this blend is the best of the best and I prefer it over the old Balkan 759.

Margate is the "ribbon form" of Penzance. I love both, but Penzance in that horrid "crumbled" form is a messy tobacco that leaves ashes everywhere.

A classic full English. No bite, full, round and satisfying. Top notch tobaccos, carefully blended and very consistent.

For a change of pace, mix in a little perique with Margate.

Classic!

Medium None Detected Full Pleasant

Definitely one of the best English mixtures on the market today, very near to what those blends used to be years ago. Not so far from Penzance of the same brand, though more edgy and latakia-oriented, and from the classic Dunhill blends. I think the best of this tobacco is in the balance, absolutely perfect, which makes it never tiresome. A winner.

Paddy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Paddy (127)

Natually sweet and spicy. I do not smoke it as often as I do some of the Dunhill English blends, but when I come back to it I marvel at how uniquely good it is. My habit is to smoke it for four or five days, seal it up and return to it in a few weeks. I will sometimes smoke it as a first pipe in the morning so as to get the full effect of all its elements. It is a tobacco I will always have on hand. In my opinion, it is one of the top truly English blends. Very highly recommended. Paddy.

Medium Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable to Strong

Probably my favorite of the Esoterica latakia mixtures (or the one I tolerate most): a classic English blend, with the typical mustiness and rich smell of good aged leaf.

It's dark, bittersweet, rich and spicy, but overall very rounded. Not as punchy as some Dunhills, although it reminds me a bit of the old Nightcap (when it was still a good tobacco), without its extreme strength. After a few days (the tobacco in the tin comes very moist), it becomes more balanced and subdued.

For me, not memorable or anything special compared to the "drier" and cleaner tastes of GLPease mixtures, but a good blend anyway.

If you like this, you might want to try And So to Bed, too.

Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

Esoterica has another winner in this blend, it is truly delicious. Upon opening the tin you are greeted with a dark ribbon cut blend that smells sooo gooood that you almost want to forego the pipe and just start cheweing it. the odor is sweet, musty,smoky and packs relatively easy except for a few long ribbons that don't want to cooperate. Lighting is fairly easy, but a little airing of the tin might help before you pack. Initial light brings you thick white clouds and after about three relights settles into a wonderful journey of flavor. This blends complexity is amazing, with the different tobacs coming in and out of a scene much like one of Bach's fugues. The flavor has it all! Bright, sweet,smoky, bitter(in a good way!), etc...This blend is definitely world class. It definitely gives Rennaisance a run for its money. Margate gets my highest rating: 5 out of 5 points, truly a "TULIP" blend, Enjoy! Update: 06-23-04 I just opened a 3 yr. old tin and I have to say that this is the best English blend IMO. It is smooth, silky, complex within its genre, and always satisfies. It has edged out Renn. as my fav. straight English blend. This stuff ages marvelously, so stuff those cellars for future enjoyment. Not as full as a Balkan, but still delightful. (grinning widely!)

Danno Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Danno (102)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant

As evidenced from the plethora of positive reviews, Margate is well taken by the latakia set. I have been holding off in my review, taking much time to smoke this tabak and get to know its habits. Here we go... Initially, I was disappointed. The tin is very clear that Margate is a full english mixture. I did not find this to be so. It hasn't the latakia whallop of Old Ironsides, nor the peppery slap of Nightcap. In fact, I found the orientals would rise to a crescendo, then promptly fall away. I did however, persevere. I smoked the whole tin slowly, in a very comtemplative space, trying(in my limited way)to suss out any nuance I could. The smoke is rich, dense and almost dove white. The ash burns to a crisp grey and this blend does not bite. As my pipes began to acclimatize, the peakiness of the orientals gave way to a steady build with a gentle denouement. The viginias play a very conservative role here and the latakia is quiet in its presentation. Margate's strong points are its smooth delivery and ease of smoking. Its downfalls are a cetain fussiness in a new pipe and its lack of strength. Irrespectively, I will purchase more to further probe its character, and I do recommend it be tried for its integration of parts, leading to a very stable whole. My apologies for the lengthy review;)

Medium None Detected Full Tolerable to Strong

Albion1956 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Albion1956 (41)
Very Strong Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable to Strong

This is a tobacco that has a well balanced nose, in that the Oriental's, Latakia, perhaps South American Virginia, and Cavendish do a smart performance of impersonating the other. A medium brown in color, and not to moist. The tobacco packs well, like most ribbon cut, and the charring light post no aversion. Most of the journey down the bowl remains constant, without anybody getting upset. A good entry to the world of full English blend's, without recourse. Burns to a medium grey ash, little dottle. A good blend, but not one that is pronounced enough for my taste.

tillmanj Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tillmanj (73)
Medium None Detected Very Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Tin Aroma: dark and musky, obviously a goodly portion of Latakia in here. However, the Latakia is not overpowering. I enjoy the aroma of this blend quite a bit. It is a comforting smell, one I associate with good smokes and good friends, but Your Mileage May Vary, or course.
Physical Characteristics: Overall, this is a bit lighter in color than I usually expect an english type blend to be. A ribbon cut, with mostly light brown pieces, and the rest a dark brown. Clumps easily, and can be hard to 'trickle' into a pipe. Each tin of this that I get seems to have a higher percentage of 'shake' or 'dust' in the bottom than other blends, but that is merely an observation, not a complaint. A bit moist for my tastes right out of the tin, but a couple of days with the tin opened fixes it right up. Produces fluffy off-white ash.
First Light: Charring light is easy as pie, thought DGT doesn't really seem to add much to this blend. The initial puffs have a vaguely confectionary flavor to them that is very pleasant, and makes me wonder if anything is used as a top dressing in this blend. This flavor dissipates pretty quickly, and the real 'english' magic takes over. I have taken to using two charring lights with this blend, due to it's moisture content. I char the top, let it sit for a few minutes, then do another charring light, let it go out and then light it for real.
Notes: Morning smoking is best for me and this blend. I relish the Sundays when I get to take a tin of Margate, a couple of pipes, and a huge mug of steaming coffee out on the porch and watch the dew dry on the grass. Very heavy coffees will wash out some of the better notes of this blend, but something light, like a guatamalan is just about perfect here. This is one of the few blends that I do regularly smoke all day, and with the exception of a couple of pipes dedicated to Virgina blends, it has been through every pipe in my collection. Tall, straight bowls tend to work best with Margate, though I have no complaints about any bowl shape/size I have smoked it in. I can easily smoke 6-8 bowls of this in a day with only the faintest hint of tongue discomfort, and that only if I get distracted and puff too hard. The room note is fairly heavy, but this is the blend that has elicited the most 'my grandfather used to smoke a pipe' comments of anything I have smoked. I for one thouroughly enjoy the aroma of it, and have been known to smoke a bowl in the office with the door closes just so I can leave the room for a bit and come back to that wonderful aroma.