The champion of dark, fire-cured Cavendish. A zesty aromatic blend that is popular with younger and experienced smokers alike. In fact, this blend has become the biggest selling Edwards tobacco through the years. A cool smoke that you must try.

BrandEdward's
ContentsBlack Cavendish
Strength
Taste
2.6
LifeOfRiley Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
LifeOfRiley (11)

The upside of this blend is that it has a creamy flavor with some citrus notes occasionally coming through. The downside is how wet it is, which has meant lots of relights and dottle along with other wet mess at the bottom of the bowl. Bite is less than you'd expect.

Recommended, but let it sit for a while before smoking.

redelephant Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
redelephant (1)

I always have a bag on hand! Leave bag open first as it is usually very wet

FloridaPipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
FloridaPipe (3)
Mild Mild Mild Tolerable

I'm relatively new to pipe smoking and this is one of the first blends I tried. It has a bite like some of the heavier aromatics, but not nearly the flavor. OK. but not great.

The Black Falcon Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The Black Falcon (19)
Mild Very Mild Medium Very Pleasant

One of the best of the aromatics. Straight forward and very satisfying. Completely black in color as typical of black cavendish that offers a very satisfing and fulfilling smoke, even for the beginer. This blend has been a regular staple of mine for years and i never stray too far from its delightful smoke. I always come back. Tongue bite is almost non existant, unless you puff away at it, something i dont recommend as it spoils the taste and creates way too much heat. If you like the aromatics then you'll like this, very mild and completely satisfying. I simply love it. Update: I wanted to add somewhat of a rank to this four star blend from Lane Limited. To me, if a blend is worth smoking all day like Bucaneer does for me, than by god it gets four stars.

BriarChild Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BriarChild (11)
Mild Medium Medium Pleasant

I love the taste of Buccaneer. It is great for a number of reasons, but firstly because it is the "idiot proof" smoke. It is so moist that I usually have to air a bag out for sometime before it's dry enough to smoke without a dozen relights. It is very easy to pack a bowl too tightly because it is so moist. The flavor is nice and not overpowering. I especially enjoy it mixed 50-50 with Black Watch (also from Edwards). The two seem to work together very well and it adds some variety to the otherwise very uniform Buccaneer.

Brian Scherzer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Brian Scherzer (5)
Very Mild Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Buccaneer is the mildest tobacco that I have smoked. This was fine when I first began smoking a pipe, but I now find it difficult to feel satisfied. As others here have stated, the room note is very nice, and it is easy to pack. Mine has never been "wet" or left a goop in my pipes, so would guess that a previous reviewer got some that was too humidified. Having said that Buccaneer is a bit too mild for my current tastes, I do keep several ounces on hand. I find that it makes for a great blending tobacco, mixing it with some of the stronger blends in my house when the mood strikes for more taste than Buccaneer offers, but with a decent room aroma now added to the stronger blends.

Justso Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Justso (4)
Mild Medium to Strong Medium to Full Pleasant

This is one of the first Edward's tobaccos I tried and really, I don't care for it. It is by far & away one of Edward's best sellers and the room note is great, but the flavoring is way too strong for my taste and the tobacco is VERY wet in the pouch. The pouch aroma is very nice, typical to the dark cavendishes.

Packing it is fairly easy. As said already, don't use a very big bowl for this blend. It's difficult enough to get lit in the beginning due to how moist it is, so it is more condusive to easy smoking in a smaller bowl. You'd be wise to let it air dry somewhat and then resealing it to make the lighting easier. Flavoring is a very heavy licorice/vanilla and you had better be careful how you smoke because before you know it, your tounge will get a nasty bite if you get a little agressive with your puffing.

All in all, this smoke is way too aromatic tasting for me and the bowl of my pipe gets too goopy smoking it. While it does smell great, it's not worth the effort you have to exert to keep the tobacco burning nor is it worth the way your mouth feels and your pipe looks afterwards.

DRFERRY Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DRFERRY (1)
Mild Medium Medium Very Pleasant

This is, in my opinion, the best aromatic you can buy. Very long black strands of leaf. Packs easily into any size bowl. Lights quickly,but burns slowly. Has a great room aroma. Has an anise type of essence casing. Best smoked in a small group 3 or 4 billiard. If you pack this blend into a very large bowl, the taste of licorice fades away about midbowl. You are then left smoking hot air. A great tobacco for a beginning pipe smoker. No matter how hard you puff,this one will not bite you. Burns to a clean white ash. No goopy or syrupy mess. It can also be blended with Latakia. 5 oz. BUC to 2 oz. Latakia. A touch of Perique will really spice up this blend. 6 oz. BUC to 1 oz. of Perique. I give it 4 stars. Versatile blend!!!!!!!

chaplikc Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
chaplikc (135)
Mild Medium Mild Pleasant

I am not usually a fan of aromatics but gave this a try because every once in a while I like to try something in this genre. I did not like it. I feel that flavoring took predominance over good blending. I have had other quality black cavendish style tobaccos that I enjoyed much more. There are only a few good things I can say about this blend and that is it smells good when burning, it smokes cool and may be good for a novice pipe smoker.

lustra Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
lustra (170)
Mild Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

Bucaneer was a standby tobacco during my early years of pipe-smoking. It is a quality black Cavendish with little mositure and no bite. Mixed half and half with Dunhill 965, as I used to do, it makes a very good "English" that your wife can stand to be around. There is nothing complicated about this blend, but it's the best Black Cavendish I found when I was smoking that sort of thing.