A medium blend consisting of Red Virginia and Oriental Leaf, lightly flavoured with mixed fruit essence.

BrandDunhill

Eulenburg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Eulenburg (193)
Mild to Medium Strong Medium Pleasant

The essence of fruit!

English aromatics are like English cuisine: something to be made fun of, without actually committing the mistake of trying it out. But every-so-often a family member who ought to know better passes the Dunhill store in Park Ave, and buys My Highness a tin of something?after all, don't I smoke a pipe?

Model family love, my selfless sense of duty to TobaccoReviews, perhaps a lingering tendency or penchant for masochism, prompted me to try this Three-Year object. It is not bad...it is just so weird. Trevert was utterly correct in associating it with unknown galaxies.

Undoubtedly matured in a secure, undisclosed location, sort of like our vice-presidents, THREE YEAR adds to the etiolated douceur of cavendished Virginia, à l' Anglaise, a trowelled topping that makes ERINMORE taste like ERINLESS. Think blancmange dolled out with fermented elderberries...

The result is neither cheap nor, God knows, humdrum: I would call it, well, hallucinatory.

When Wagner's Siegfried, who has never seen a woman before, finally meets one, he cleverly cries out, rather enthusiastically, "This is not a man!" Likewise, if I were an alien from Planet Mongo and had never experienced FLAVOUR before, I would know I had experienced flavour after smoking this! Not tobacco flavour, no, but...weeeee...it is, like, psychedelic, yeah.

How could one resist it, my fellow boomers?

PS./ Smoking this whilst strumming a guitar strikes me as exquisitely apt.

This was an interestingly stronger VA than I expected. Fruity, sweet, dark in character. For some reason though I simply did not care for the flavor profile as it was presented. Otherwise it loaded easily, smoked clean and cool and had a moderate smoke volume when dried a little.

Smoke in peace, brothers and sisters of the leaf.

This one never did much for me. I detected more casing than expected, and though that doesn't put me off when I know it's there, I didn't buy it for that. I thought it burned a little hot, though not to the point where it bit much. Still, I needed a drink handy. It was rather sweet and not unpleasant, but if the Virginias really were aged three years, I sure couldn't tell it. The orientals were light, which was okay with me, because I wanted it in the background. I don't believe they make this any more, and I'll not miss it or try it again if it ever comes back.

I am a lover of Dunhill blends and this is one that I had been putting off because of some of the poor reviews. When I opened the tin, my first thought was that the bad reviews were most likely right as the tin had a very strong berry scent. However, upon smoking this blend, the Virginia's came to the front leaving a nice mild berry flavor in the background. Like so many of the Murray's Dunhill offerings, the tobacco quality was high, it had a good kick of Lady N and it smoked cleanly to a nice ash. I was lucky enough to score a few of these old tins and while they won't be part of any rotation, Three Year Matured is a nice change of pace, especially in a cob. Recommended.

M.Toney Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
M.Toney (53)
Medium to Strong Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Well, I wasn't too dissapointed with this Dunhill blend. The tin aroma produced a fruity-like essence. I loved the flavor and the strength was respectable. However, the aftertaste is where this one is lacking. The flavoring left an oily, intrusive taste on the palate that detracted from the overall smoking experience.

Not too bad, however & I can understand why many find this blend to their liking. Doubtful I'll buy another but it was a fairly pleasing experience. Therefore, IMHO, Three Year Matured merits three stars.

History Nut Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
History Nut (5)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

A good friend recently purchased a tin of Three Year Mature from the Lane era for me. I was excited to dig into this blend, as it is my first Dunhill blend I've ever smoked. I was also apprehensive upon reading the reviews of this tobacco. I enjoyed this tobacco and would purchase it if available. It reminded me of Peterson's Sherlock Holmes, except the Dunhill was a much more refined and quality product. Although there is a berry flavor to the smoke, I found it enhanced the wonderful flavor of the underlying Virginia. This is truly a quality product when compared to other blends of its genre. I understand that this tobacco may not be enjoyed by everyone, but I was pleased with the smoking experience. The quality of the tobacco is apparent, and as a new comer to Dunhill, I guess that explains the hype surrounding the brand. Overall, a great experience. I'm looking forward to digging into some newly ordered 965 and EMP when my shipment arrives.

Claudius Stradivarius Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Claudius Stradivarius (171)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

A strange cookie.

The Murray produced tin displayed a strong casing aroma.

Beautiful dark broken flakes.

The taste was rather overwhelming, in a negative sense. Too much casing and not enough tobacco taste, I would suppose.

WmZiggy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
WmZiggy (66)
Mild to Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

The tin that I am reviewing is a 1994 vintage. Not sure if this will help, given it's age and manufacture (Murry) no longer produces Dunhill blends. However, it might offer some comparison of newer tins.

Needless to say, this 100 gram tin with 16 years age was opened with anticipation reminiscent of opening a rare wine or old scotch. The tobacco was very dark to black in a riff or cigarette cut. It had a nice plum nose of well aged Virginia. It packed well and lit easily, producing a nice volume of sweet and mellow smoke. It did not bite nor was it ever harsh from top to bottom, producing a white ash. The flavors were only a little more subtle in the middle third of the smoke; otherwise it was very consistent from beginning to end. I could not detect any oriental leaf, just nicely aged Virginia leaf. A rare one I will reserve for special occasions

piper965 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
piper965 (4)
Mild Extremely Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant to Tolerable

With so many great choices out there, this one just falls flat for me. I really don't get any flavor. Once I got to the bottom of the bowl i detected a slight fruityness with a hint of butter, but it wasn't easy to get that out of it. This is just a bland tobacco especially when there are so many other choices out there like Petersons Sherlock Holmes that have the virginias and oriental with a nice flavor to boot. Just not my cup of tea, might be good for a cigarette smoker that just swapped to pipes?

seasonalpipesmoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
seasonalpipesmoker (6)

I don't understand why this gets bashed. It's a nice, aromatic Virgina that smokes cool, doesn't bite and smells wonderful.

Berry good! Not what I think of when I hear the words "matured Virginia." This has a very nice scent in the tin, but does not cloy when smoked. My kind of aromatic. Pipestud wanted to eat it with a spoon, and the smell does remind me of some kind of berry sauce used to top ice cream or pancakes. This becomes only a hint of topping as the tobacco is smoked, however. I would buy it again for this, though there are many other tobaccos I would buy in larger amounts.

newmission Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
newmission (14)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Full Pleasant

Found an old tin a few months ago in a strip mall tobacco shop. It was amazing and full of flavor. Due to my excitment I did smoke the first couple bowls a little too quick. Had to set it down for a couple days to give my mouth a rest. The rest of the tin was wonderful and full of flavor. I compare it too fusion Jazz, Tribal Tech to be exact. The base is there but there are hints of Rock and Blues. This blend has the straight Virginia power but has overtones of nutty and oak'y flavor. Since then I purchased the last two "OLD" tins, dust and all and am going to sit on them for a couple years. Some days I have the urge to pop one of the seals. But, for now, I will keep them aging for a special occasion.

Papillon6 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Papillon6 (17)
Medium to Strong Medium Medium to Full Tolerable

This blend starts out as a rather harsh basically virginia blend that is then aged about three years. It's not an unpleasant blend but it takes some getting used to. It's better then Dunhill's royal yaht by far. It's somewhat strong but mild's out with time like most Dunhill blends, a fresh opened tin bite knock the socks off your tastebuds in a bad way but one that's been opened a few times and allowed to air out will provide a nice long satisfying smoke. This is one the first Dunhill blends I ever tried, and after having a bad experience with Royal Yaht this was definately a move upwards. It has a nutty almost smoky flavour that comes through noticable the whole way down. I do recommend it but take your time deciding if it's for you or not...

Big bad Jon Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Big bad Jon (232)
Medium Medium to Strong Medium Tolerable to Strong

I am usually a big fan of Dunhill tobacco. I have tried quite a few of their blends and have usually came away glad to have tried it. With Three Year Manured nothing could be further from the truth. It was easy enough to back and light, but almost intolerable. The taste reminded me of a cross between burned popcorn, and the perfume of a cheap French whore!!! The tobacco did not burn badly, but it was all I could do to smoke a half of a bowl. All I have to day, is this blend is in a category reserved for "if this was all that was available I'd QUIT"

Pipeline Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipeline (206)
Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

It should be put to flame, just not in a pipe. Tinned for decades, so it must have a following. Longevity is not compelling enough for me in this case. Not terrible, just boring.

Jumbo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jumbo (12)
Medium Medium to Strong Mild Very Pleasant

This is the only tobacco I have ever smoked that made me vomit. No joke. After just one bowl!

imago Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
imago (63)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium Tolerable

Not very fond of this one at all. I've had far worse, but thankfully, I have had far better.

A. Morley Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
A. Morley (73)
Medium to Strong Medium Medium to Full Tolerable

Even I, the defender of bizarre and maligned tobaccos, cannot salvage the reputation of Dunhill's Three Year Matured. Mind ye', this is a weird idea for a blend: take sweet, stoved Virginia and bitter, pungent Orientals and then douse it all with--fruit sauce? It's just not a good idea. This becomes apparent soon after you light the stuff. All of that kooky fruit essence burns right away or sometimes settles near the bottom of the bowl. One is left with some generic dark Virginia and low-end Oriental leaf that do not go together well at all. The overall taste is like that of bad office coffee; uncomfortably warm and bitter in a way that is neither bracing nor pleasing. If your really lucky, that fruit stuff will rear its head again, now all funky and wet tasting, making latter half of the bowl almost nauseating. I kept smoking this stuff for a month, either because I am stubborn, poor, or stupid, but I could only manage to smoke a bowl of it about one day out of the week. By the end, it was tinder-dry. Surprisingly, this was not an improvement.

Maimonides Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Maimonides (70)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable

A very generic VA. Much like cigarette tobacco.

BETTER PICK: MCCLELLAND CHRISTMAS CHEER 05' OR 06

LIGHT FLAKE, DUNHILL- OR GOLDEN SLICES ORLIK

Captain Pete Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Captain Pete (83)
Mild Mild Very Mild Pleasant

I think Philo pretty much nailed it. Nicely cased with a rather pleasant tin aroma (once it's aired off a little), but just not enough going for it in the flavor department to make it a worthwhile smoke for me. And I was really hoping for the taste of Frankenberries.

Philo Beddoe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Philo Beddoe (140)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Very Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

After reading the previous reviews I was expecting casings or even an awful stench, but I was not expecting plain and boring. This Virginia was boring in every way, I cannot say it was unpleasant to smoke, just one-dimensional.

I opened the tin and smelled rich figs and some berry as well, I was thinking the worst, but as I started puffing I tasted no casings at all, but it was clear, that this was a very middle-of the road tobacco. There are too many other Virginias out there to ever visit this again.

Guyrox Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Guyrox (131)
Extremely Strong Very Strong Overwhelming Pleasant to Tolerable

The best way to describe this tobacco, in one word, is Beurk. Too bad, the smell is very nice, sweet and very present, the flakes are nice and dark, but I did not smoke more than one third of a bowl and then my mouth, tongue and stomach were screaming for mercy.

Really, my tastebuds are not compatible with that blend. If you like really strong tobacco,and want something flavored, then Three Year Matured VA is for you. But it's not for me.

EAL Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
EAL (36)
Medium to Strong Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I enjoy all genres of tobacco blends. I especially like when I find a blend like this one that adds a nice hint of flavoring to some quality tobacco, especially when they work so well together as they do with this product. You get a nice taste of Virginias with no real bite, accompanied by a whisp of blueberry or raspberry.

3YMV falls under the love it or hate it category I guess, like its sibling Royal Yacht. I don't really understand why either draw so much criticism - especially this blend. Its not the holy grail, but its definately something I'd recomend to anyone lacking predjudices toward flavored tobacco. 3.5 stars.

trevert Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
trevert (32)
Extremely Mild Strong Very Full Tolerable to Strong

I usually really enjoy the Dunhill blends but there are a couple that are beyond awful, and this one is right out there in another galaxy. It produces a unique taste sensation remarkably similar to drinking a glass of grape juice after eating a taco. Hmm. I think that's probably all that can safely be said. This is another blend that will infest your pipe and never let go, so be warned.

**Revision - Six years later, I had the chance to try some of this again. My tastes have shifted a bit towards some Virginias in the meantime, and since I've become accustomed to the Lake District blends, I thought this might make a better impression. Sadly, not the case. Way too flavorful for me in all the wrong ways. An odd thing, too, as I usually liked the pre-Orlick-shift Dunhill tobaccos.

huffnpuff Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
huffnpuff (44)
Medium Medium Medium Tolerable

PROS: There is a good amount of virginia,has some aromatic smell,lights good and packs good.It is Dunhill

CONS: The oriental leaf throughs off the virginia. better if not aromatic. wife hates it.I dont care for it.smells like rotten fruit with tomato paste.

I am glad I bought just an ounce I was hoping for a good straight VA blend instead I got a aromatic with dumpster fruit

nuff said.

loosewatches Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
loosewatches (108)
Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Medium Tolerable to Strong

This is something I had wanted to try for a while, just from the name and the maker. I'd never tried Dunhill virginias so I didn't know what to expect. I read the reviews here, but didn't let them bother me too much. My father bought 6 ounces of this at Tinderbox in Sacramento. (citrus heights, actually) He bought it for himself, tried it, and promptly shipped it off to me. That should have been fair warning.

So, moisture content in the bag was o.k. Pouch aroma was uninviting; just a vague tobacco smell, without the berries or pineapple I'd read about. It did smell like tobacco. Like cigarette tobacco, except a little sweet. Fair warning. I smoked it anyway. It tastes like a bad non-filter cigarette, and I've had some bad ones from Poland and Romania.

This is the only tobacco I've ever smoked that makes me sick. It makes me wretch. I know it's not the nicotine. I have smoked Nightcap as my all day smoke when I was out of everything else and had a big stash of it. My sample of Three Year does have a fair amount of nic., but something else about this tobacco really turns the screws on me. Maybe the tobaccanist dug this out of a secret bunker somewhere, but i'm not going to buy it ever.

Even worse than smoking it was my attempt at DGT with Three Year Matured Virginia.(Insert vile descriptive here) Never again. I've tried smoking it a couple times since, just for a nic fix, but got a twisted stomache.

Oh yeah, this isn't meant as a shot at Tinderbox, just this tobacco in particular. My parents taught me not to say anything if it's not going to be positive, but I just had to give something back to this weed. It was not very nice to me;-}I expected much more from Dunhill.

CaptnDan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CaptnDan (242)
Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Three Year Matured is a nice change of pace. The name suggests a Va mix, but it isn't. When I got it, I was told by a friend that it was a lot like Royal Yacht. Well, it has a topping, and it is a Dunhill blend. That's where the similarity ends.

The topping was very strong in the tin, but while airing the tobacco out, it faded to a more reasonable level.

The tobacco packed and lit well, once it was dried to my liking. The topping was a bit much for me at first, but by the time I was a third of the way through the bowl, this stuff was starting to grow on me.

I let some sit in a bag for a few days and I found it to be a much more enjoyable smoke. The topping had faded to where it no longer dominated.

Aromatic smokers who would like to get a bit more quality in their smoke will like this blend. Straight VA type people need to keep an open mind.

*NOTE: This review is based on a Murray's tin. Since the Orlick takeover, all bets are off. Try it at your own risk. (I have not had much luck with the 'new' Dunhill blends)

Rafe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Rafe (9)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Here ends my search for an everyday, go-to Virginia. OK, even the tin descripion indicates that it's not a straight VA, but I'll not quibble about that. What I will do is load this very satifying blend into a small bowled Peterson and enjoy a rich, flavorful smoke. This is a dark, heady VA --- not light and sweet like 5100 but not quite as stout as Royal Yacht (my only other Dunhill regular). Some place the casing as berry-like and the tin description on this very site says "mixed fruit" but I myself can't taste anything fruity about it. Thumbs up to Dunhill/Murray on whatever this casing is, because it is pleasant and unique without overtaking the taste of the tobaccos themselves. Doesn't bite. May be a tad too strong for all day and does get a little unwieldy towards the very bottom of the bowl. For me, it's the perfect VA blend --- one or two bowls a day interspersed with my regular burley blends and flakes. The Murray's version of 3 Year Matured recently replaced Royal Yacht as my preferred tinned VA, and this review is based on the Murray's product. Recent reviews of other Orlik-produced Dunhill products have got me discouraged about my prospects for liking the Orlik version of 3 Year Matured. I'll post that review when I have tried some. Till then, 4 stars for 3 YMV!

The smell I percieved upon opening my tin totally surprised me. I thought I knew what to expect with a Dunhill tobacco, silly me. Going past the funny fruity flavour, you find a really fine cut tobacco, finer than the cut I'm used to with Dunhill, which makes easy to pack and light and contributes to keep an even burning. The taste is something in between St.Bruno and Erinmore, a little more like Erinmore but unobtrusive, you can clearly taste good quality Virginia leaf. I usually don't smoke aromatics, but this one is good (if you can call it aromatic): not biting at all, not wet, never hot. A fine change of pace for me or a fine all-day smoke for aromatic-smokers who wants to taste real tobacco sometimes.

Highstump Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Highstump (6)
Very Mild Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Had Dunhill built the Edsel, this tobacco would have been their second largest flop. I am very pleased that this was not my first foray into Virginia tobaccos, otherwise it would be difficult, make that nearly impossible, to get me to try another.

I am a fan of Dunhill tobaccos and as such I really wanted to like this stuff. I kept putting the tin away for longer and longer periods of time in hopes that something would happen, it never did.

Rather than spend your hard earned cash on this, cut the grass and load your pipe with the clippings.

Update: I tried this tobacco originally in '02' and had a chance to pick up another tin just a few months ago at what I thought to be a good price. I had hopes that if treated a bit differently it may be a good tobacco. Turns out that there is not a good price for bad tobacco. I can't get this weed to behave no matter what I do.

DrDNA Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DrDNA (58)

Notes: I have tried various vintages. In the 1960's (blender: Dunhill), the flavor was superior, but the cut was so stringy it burned unbearbly hot. In the 1990's (blender: Murray's), the flavor was mediocre, but the thicker ribbon cut allowed to burn rather more cool. I found it best in a churchwarden or a tall, thin Danish chimney.

Appearance: A fully rubbed out ribbon, varied thickness depending on the vintage and maker. The color is light tan/green to darker medium brown in mixed proportions.

Aroma: An enticing raspberry/boysenberry topping is prevalent, black cherry, mild hints of frankincense, benzoin, allspice, smoke.

Taste: Of course, there is this berry-flavored topping to deal with, but it is relatively mild, if you can accept its presence. Citrus and berry toppings don't come along too often, so they are a bit disorienting, but if you can accept Royal Yacht, you can deal with this one, too. The berry flavor helps to accentuate the sweetness of the virginias in this blend, and it becomes much less prevalent as the tobacco ages for a few years. Underneath, a decent virginia-oriental mixture. Incense stick, walnuts. The latest iteration is rather dilute in its flavor profile, a bit smoky at times, but for the most part extremely subdued. If you don't pay attention to it, you would say: "It's not good or bad; it's just... there." If you take your time, it is a bit more rewarding. Can certainly burn the tongue if you don't take care.

Comparisons: Not nearly the flavor of the old blend. The bookish, invalid brother of Royal Yacht. The same topping as Dunhill's My Mixture No. 36609, but instead of a rich dark flake, this has a milder oriental-light virginia blend underneath.

Bottom Line: The acme of English-aromatic crossover flavor. For those who find Royal Yacht too strong, but want a mild virginia blend with a berry flavor, this could be ideal. Watch out for tongue bite, though!

I have to say this tobac. tastes a bit harsh to me. It has good flavor and plenty of punch, but pales in comparison to Dunhills' Light Flake. Once again due to the fine cut relative dryness can be an issue. It can go from too wet to too dry in a very short time. When it is in the "zone" it smokes well and has a decent flavor. When it is a little damp or too dry it is closer to a two-star tobac.

I was unduly harsh with this blend the first time I tried it. By the name, I expected a straight Virginia blend. It isn't a bad aromatic, but the folks at Dunhill really should name it something else! It has a pretty good nicotine punch, so if you are sensitive to Old Nick, go slowly. I wholeheartedly agree with Tantric's description of it as a "bold change of pace".

bigjonburley Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bigjonburley (64)

I must say that Dunhill threw me a curve ball with this one. I was expecting something so much different. I was shocked by the berry blast that permiated the tin. I love both Dunhill pipes and their tobaccos but, the marketing is really misleading with this line. The name suggests a fine VA with well aged to a level of perfection, so typical of the Dunhill name....but the reality is much different. I must say at first that I'm not really a fan of aromatics or anything heavily cased, yet this blend didn't really yeild an air of disgust. For some reason I found myself unable to make up my mind about this one. It burns well and doesn't bite. The flavor is not nausiating like some aromatics can be. I guess that the best way to put is just as the Recommendation states: "Might try it again, but will not keep it on hand."

audioman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
audioman (3)
Mild Medium Mild Pleasant

A friend of mine gave me a tin of this because he did not care for it. I brought it home and set it on my tobacco shelf in my den and forgot about it for a couple of weeks. One day I was in the mood for a different tobacco and thought that I would give this a try. I was very surprised by this tobacco. Very easy to light and very pleasant to smoke. A nice fruity taste (that I normally don't care for) and a wonderful room note. I felt that it went very well with coffee and Starbucks Frappuccino. So I decided to buy a bulk bag of this at Cup'o Joes and thought it would make a nice fall-winter tobacco. Well, when I recieved the 16 oz bag, I was very dissapointed! The flavor and aroma were very much stronger than the tin that I had previously smoked. I am going to attempt to dry this out a little and see how it goes.

Cobnut Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Cobnut (8)
Medium to Strong Medium Mild to Medium Very Strong

This tobacco used to be one of my favourites until it was discontinued in the UK during the ninteen seventys .Recenty,with a tobacco order from the USA I purchaced two 50g tins. What a let down.This tobacco is more of an aromatic than the great virginia remembered of years gone by I like to smoke an aromatic sometimes for a change of pace but did not like the taste of this.And the aroma!.When I smoked TYM in the pub I got a lot of comments which were not in its favour If you like natural va tobacco this one is not for you.My big regret is that I bought two tins of the stuff

Strong Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

As with Royal Yacht, I think that this tobacco has a bad reputation that is not completely deserved. Sure, it ain't the greatest thing in the world, and it has a couple of characteristics that can easily drive some smokers pissed, but I seem to enjoy it once in a while. The appearance is of a fine cut dark brown/reddish Virginia, finer than Dunhill's English blends: this accounts for great packing and even burning. What shocks most reviewers seems to be the berry flavoring, an addition that seems to have been added only in recent years. Say what you wish, but I think it's one of the better touches of this blend, and I usually don't like aromatics! This is another kind of aromatic, not the usual lousy ultra-cased cavendish with no tobacco taste: here the Virginias are clearly perceivable, and the topping perfectly complement their naturally sweet taste. The berry flavor comes and goes, just a bit more than slightly perceivable, never intrusive and always very natural. No soapy impression, too, which is a bonus in comparison with stuff like Dunhill Ready Rubbed and, in a minor way, Royal Yacht. Some of the sweetish tones remind of Royal Yacht, but it's less nauseating: also the nicotine content, while rather high, is lower than that of the dreaded Yacht. The taste is not always perfect (a bit sharp at times), but I found out that using a little slightly bent pipe and a light packing helps. Very critical for appreciating this tobacco is keeping it slow burning and cool. If you feel the exterior of the bowl is hot (not scorching hot, just plain average hot) you are spoiling this blend. I personally think it's slightly better than Royal Yacht, but I still prefer Rattray's flakes when I want a nice Virginia as this one is rather boring. Anyway, sometimes a bowl of this is nice, with its berry flavoring which hits the spot (and is rather pleasant to non smokers around) and its absolute lack of bite. It leaves an unpleasant smell in the bowl, though, but it's not a problem for me since I don't smoke it too often, so it is quickly cancelled out by other tobaccos.

Jaybee Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jaybee (76)

An interesting aromatic of high quality. The fruit topping tastes and smells great. My only reservation is that the flavoring tastes kind of strange with the orientals weaving in and out of the taste.

Mike Castello Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mike Castello (49)
Medium to Strong Mild Medium Pleasant

I have been reluctant to review this blend, but since I just opened a tin I figure, why not? I have smoked it on occasion over the past couple of years. You know, one tin now, another six months later. In the past couple of years I have smoked my share of Virginias. So I think that I can now provide some worthwhile comments about this unusual tobacco. To begin, the tin aroma is strong of mixed fruit. The ribbon cut makes this about the easiest to pack, light, and smoke to the bottom of all the Virginias I know. The first taste is a bit fruity. It quickly changes to a smooth Virginia tobacco flavor. Aged with rich taste and a nicotin kick. It is not my favorite Virginia, but it is far from the bottom of my list. It's a nice change of pace from the English and Balkan blends I usually smoke. I can purchase Three Year Matured locally at a very attractive price. This is a blend that goes very well with a hearty brew. I do not think of TYM as an aromatic, but certainly there is a topping. So when I put it all together, not at all bad.

Mild Mild to Medium Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

In a blind taste test I never would have guessed Dunhill! I find it helps to think of this as a strawberry flavored aromatic. That said this is indeed the same high quality that I have found in all Dunhill blends. The Va's are indeed there but don't seem particularly matured. It brings to mind Cairo by Pease, although I like this blend better. The casing is pleasant, but overall I find this blend a bit boring. I will finish the tin over the summertime easily enough, but probably won't buy more.

Joe Patterson Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Joe Patterson (48)
Mild Very Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Unnoticeable

Please just let me echo the sentiments of the first 6 reviews. I tried this tobak in about 3 pipes, and it took a while to get the nasty taste out of each of them. YUK!!!

I like Virginias...I like them a lot. But this is a waste of good weed and a HUGE waste of $$$.

WxGuy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
WxGuy (95)
Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

Dunhill's Three Year Virginia is kind of a disappointment to me. THis is billed as an aromatic, and I guess to several reviewers it is, but not so to me. I had smoked about half a tin before reading the reviews here and had not picked up on it's aroma standing. Now, I can just perceive it as such now that I know.

The orientals do not sit well with me. They seem to give a bite to the blend w/o adding a lot of spiciness. This blend just seems harsh from the get-go.

Good thing that there are a lot of other Dunhill blends out there that turn my crank.

SFC/E7 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SFC/E7 (93)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild Pleasant

I have been smoking this tobacco for about a week now, I heard and read a lot of negativity about this and had to try it.

I sort of like the tobacco as it is not all that strong.

Being a connoisseur of the aromatic tobaccos I never did get any fruity aroma from the tobacco in the tin or while smoking it. Most likely not enough for me to sense if there were.

I have never been a big fan of the English Tobaccos but this one tastes and smokes very well, no tongue bit, no harshness just the flavor of the Virginia tobaccos.

lvnvbiker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
lvnvbiker (15)
Medium Very Mild Medium Very Pleasant

This is another of the love/hate smokes that abound the world of the pipe. And yet again one of my all time favorites! I am not big on aromatics because of the lack of substance, But this one is IMO one of the dual purpose ones. It meets me nned for a kick and my wife LOVES the smell of the stuff. The tin is fruity smelling and I concur the blackcurrant scent. The taste is pure tobacco with a fair punch of good old nic. It burns clean and light ash to the heel and can be smoked all day if one chooses. It has not bit me yet even when smoked a a good pace but bite does seem to be possible if you try.

BrittPark Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BrittPark (41)
Medium to Strong Very Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

In the tin: This is a mixture of mostly dark strands with just a strand or so of a lighter leaf. The aroma is sweet and generically fruity, but also smells of fermented Virginias.

Packing and Lighting: This packs easily and well and lights up easily and stays lit.

Taste: It may be laced with fruit essences but I don't taste much fruit, just the satisfying sweet/sour note of aged Virginias. Produces nice thick substantial smoke, very little steam as far as I can tell. Consistent throughout the bowl except that towards the end the smoke becomes richer and more flavorful.

For the aromatic smoker this would be something good to try if you're looking for something a little stronger and a little more complex. For Virginia smokers, don't be put off by the idea of flavoring. Flavored it is, but the bulk of the smoking experience is pure matured Virginia.

oldgbd Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
oldgbd (2)
Very Strong Very Strong Very Full Very Pleasant

Don't think of this as virginia. Don't think of this as an oriental blend. Instead you should think of it as an incredibly strong aromatic.

It is wonderful! I like tobaccos with a strong nicotine kick, but alas, so many of them lack the civility needed to be smoked in public. Those that have impeccable public manners are as limp as overcooked pasta. This is the tobacco to choose if you want something that people around you will like and still satisfy you. When smoking this in a public place without fail someone will come up to me and tell me how wonderful it smells- it does have a magnificent aroma for the non-smoker. And for you, the smoker, you won't have to contend with that question that I get after smoking so many other aromatics: "Did I just smoke something?" No, you'll know that you did, your wobbly knees will speak volumes.

What this blend does have in common with virginias is that to really enjoy it you need to smoke it slowly. While it doesn't bite too badly because of the orientals in it, if you puff too hard you'll lose the remarkable flavor of this blend. Slow smoking will release a constant stream of berry flavor (raspberry/blackcurrant/whatever) into your mouth and into the room around you. It comes very close to tasting like it smells.

I realize that the dedicated Virginia smoker would probably find this far too heavily flavored for his tastes. I realize that the English smoker would find it far too sweet. But for those of us who have a palate that ranges far and wide, this is one tobacco that shouldn't be skipped.

raynine Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
raynine (6)
Mild Extra Strong Mild Tolerable to Strong

Dissapointment plus! Rather than going the way of a type of fruit in the description of this tobacco I'd prefer to go the way of perfumes. 3 year matured was to be a high point in my smoking career. the idea of a Dunhill pure matured virginia sent me into realms of fantasy only Tolkien could have devised. This made the let down so much greater. Immediately upon opening I knew something was wrong. Had my wife secretly emptied a full bottle of OPIUM scent into round flat tin? NO she wouldn't have, and there was that wonderful characteristic whhup as the air enters the tin for the first time. Poisonous stuff me thinks. My mouth was charred. My heart saddened as I tipped 25gms intot he flower bed! Expensive fertilizer.

CJ Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CJ (45)

This blend is not as bad as I have been lead to believe. It definitely has a fruit flavoring which to me is Raspberry. If it is smoked moist, the flavoring is all that I taste. I can take enough out of the tin for a bowlfull. I let this completely dry out until it is bone dry. I then pack a Meerschaum (I would not smoke this in a briar), and rehydrate it by blowing through the bowl until it has the proper moisture. Now I can taste the underlying tobacco with just a hint of the Raspberry. Yet, the room aroma leans towards the Raspberry. The base tobacco is quality, and probably would have been best left alone. For 35 years, when smoking a new blend, I ask my wife what it smells like. The answer is almost always "pipe tobacco". This time it was "fruit". After a heavy meal, smoking this without letting it dry out is like having dessert. The tobacco has a lot less calories than a Raspberry Tart. While this will not be a regular for me, it sure beats goopy aromatics and would be a step up for smokers of those blends.

Update. After a few more bowls, I think that the flavor is more like Black Currant than Raspberry.

BriarPuffer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BriarPuffer (5)
Very Strong Medium Very Full Pleasant

Okay, my current production tin is two years old and as I popped it I was greeted by a strong whiff of the topping. I know exactly what it is -- it's blackcurrant! I loved it in French soap, but was bitterly disappointed by the Twinings Blackcurrant Tea which I found too cloying. I might revisit that, since I haven't tried it with honey, which makes a world of difference. But this is neither here nor there.

The tobacco was delightfully fresh; the moisture was just right, and the dark shreds of leaf were streaked with sugar crystals. I was able to scrape my first 2/3 bowlful from what had adhered to the paper disc without difficulty and pack it into the smooth Stanwell billiard I'd chosen for it. The charring light gave me the impression that the topping had indeed been increased a hundredfold from the original version, but was nevertheless essentialy the same blend. I also had the impression it would more closely resemble my 40-year old sample if it were dried out for some years and then rehydrated (which is what happened to my old sample). The main difference, I find, is that this current stuff is strong -- not the flavor, but the nicotine hit. By the time the top was charred and I was reaching for my tamper, the garage was starting to sway a little. Upon relighting, I decided that breath smoking was the way to go. From then on, it was much the same as the old stuff. I did notice that the sugar crystals gave the smoke a certain quality that I've only encountered with similarly aged C&D Blockade Runner, a sweet, musty, silky smoothness that brings on a temptation to puff harder and more often. But giving in to this is inviting tongue bite and a hot, wet smoke and as it was, the tobacco burned to a very clean, dry white ash.

In short, I was a bit disconcerted and apprehensive about the apparent heavy-handedness with the topping. But once I settled into the main smoke, I found it a faithful successor to the original. I wouldn't have either the original or the new production as an everyday or all-day smoke, but it is a great change of pace smoke, very pleasant. Too bad winter is just about gone, this would be great on frosty nights with a nice steaming mug of Darjeeling tea or apple cider.

Dwise Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dwise (25)
Mild Strong Medium to Full Pleasant

Fruit Loops in a can. In fact, the only differences between Three Year Matured Virginia and that beloved Kellogg's cereal are: A) Three Year Matured Virginia burns slightly better than Fruit Loops, and B) Fruit Loops are less dishonestly named. (Seriously, what kind of drugs were the Dunhill folks on when they dreamed up this blend? "Matured" is in particular a misnomer: here's a pipe tobacco for the kid in all of us!)

The Virginia component is, I imagine, of good quality, but for the life of me I can't taste it beneath all the fruity toppings. This might be a good step up for the piper who's accustomed to those godawful "cherry cordial" drugstore blends. Other beware.

That much said, I will freely admit this _is_ a fun tobacco to fire up now and then in a corncob, when I feel like smoking a bowl of Frankenberries.

Inquisitor Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Inquisitor (155)

This blend is interesting because it is so uninteresting. My tin was about two years old when I first opened it, and maybe that was why I did not experience the fruit overload of previous reviewers. Some light raspberry flavor in the tin, very little in the smoke flavor. It wasn't a sweet raspberry. The real lack here is flavor of any kind. It is just smoky, somewhat ashy, as if all flavor had just been sucked out of the leaf. Cut in a cigarette shag format, it might be something a roll your own cigarette person would like, because though it isn't great, it is still a few steps above ciggies. Yawn! Another blend to add to the "trade for anything else" box.

Mild Mild to Medium Very Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Perhaps I am getting it all wrong, but to me this one is a close cousin of Peterson?s Sherlock Holmes, except that the latter has a dryer, more watery taste. TYM is certainly a Virginian tobacco but different in essence or spirit. It smells sweeter than most Virginias, yet the aroma does not entirely reflect in the taste. A slow burning product, it is very easy to pack and keep lit. I have tried this a number of times in the last year. I am not a fan of this blend but for some odd reason I keep going back to it. It may be because it is not a ?distracting? blend in the sense you can be smoking it whilst strumming a guitar or leafing thru a magazine without paying much attention to your pipe.

I think the great Eulenburg has nailed it when he refers to this tobacco as "cavendished à l' Anglaise", with a note of elderberries. It is a very subtle and mild smoke (quite surprising for a Dunhill), perhaps redesigned so to meet the flavouring demands/expectations of a would be new generation of pipe smokers?-something which seems apparent with all these new Dunhills in a rectangular tin: Aromatic, Mild and Ready Rubbed. I guess that many of us are used to Dunhill tobaccos as the equivalent of grand symphonies and concertos, and all of a sudden we are presented with these rather insubstantial impromptus that are closer to the Carpenters than to the more structured Brahms or Beethoven. Non the less, I would recommend it for someone new to the pipe smoking experience, or else as a bold change of pace within the Virginia smoking range.

Mild Strong Medium Pleasant

As the outdoor temperature in the Northeast climbed above 90F again, I continued my quest for an enjoyable aromatic. Figured a Dunhill blend would be a good bet but was wrong again. The luscious, fruity tin aroma of the dark brown ribbon cut disappeared after the initial light. Fearing I'd infect my pipes with a foul taste as has occured with other aromatics, I initially dedicated only one to these trials. From the start, I didn't taste the sweetness and with each bowlful, it became more bitter and exceptionally dry. However it was cool and without bite. To salvage the tin, I tried different pipes with better results, smoking only once in each before cleaning. The fruity taste lasted longer but still didn't result in a great smoke. Perhaps an avid aromatic fan would enjoy this blend, but not me. If anything, this tobacco made me appreciate some of the better aromatic blends from CAO/Dan, Germain and MacBaren even more.

Very Mild Mild Very Mild Very Pleasant

Now here is a unique blend. It is flavored in the English manner (unobtrusive), and somehow remains cool. The virginia base screams quality, and it is a smooth smoke. It is also very much an aromatic and that is why I think it can help us.

You see, there are many aromatic smokers who do not know any better than to puff away on Borkum and the Captain. Give them a tin of this stuff and they will be confirmed members of the brotherhood. 3 Year Matured is a fun change of pace for me. When I opened the tin, I didn't know whether to reach for a spoon or pipe, but am glad I chose a pipe to load it in. Yummy!

Stan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Stan (138)
Mild to Medium Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I guess I am the odd man out here. I first smoked this blend about a year ago (in fairness, a full tin of course) before reading any reviews. I tied it exclusively in an unsmoked Dunhill Shell No. 5 I had bought (lumberman or small canadian) to give it a real test.

I have read in the 1960's it was introduced as a straight virginia, but it is obviously being re-introduced to be different now.

I did not know for sure it was aromatic until I had opened a tin a year ago, but it did smell sweeter or more fruity in the tin than a straight virginia. My memory is that it was slightly sweet, but a much more pleasant blend, to me, than Dunhill's Royal Yacht, which is stronger, etc. I've read since then the three year matured virginia tobacco is sauced with a bit of rasberry. Toward the end of the tin, about two weeks worth of smoking, it started to dry out, so that shows it was not too wet with anything. But if you take more than two weeks to smoke it, you need to preserve it better than just screwing the lid back on. I seldom smoke more than two bowls a day of it (or any blend).

Upon reading these reviews, I opened up another tin (I have two cellared now for about a year). I also read the quite brief review of one gentleman from a fairly recent Ephemeris issue, which was fairly nice, and from the most recent Winter 2001/2002 issue of Pipes and Tobaccos. Their reviewer is harsh on most aromatics, as you know, but his review is most fair to this unusual but sweet blend.

I have recently smoked nearly another tin of this blend in the same Dunhill pipe. This pipe remained unsmoked in the interim (from the last tin). It is a good pipe and most receptive of this sweet blend again. It has over 30 bowls of this blend in the cake now. It will continue to be enhanced with smoking, but I feel I can certainly give a true evaluation of this blend in such a pipe.

To me, it is mild and quite nice, and definitely on the sweet side. But not heavy. A light type of wine-like or fruity sweetness persists. There is a quality virginia underneath. It is very cool, biteless, and though not a real dry smoke, it takes little effort to run a pipe cleaner through my straight stem pipe once or twice in the last half of the smoke. Much dryer than St. Bruno's flake. It is also much better to me still than Royal Yacht, which I know does not say much, but the emphasis is on the word "much".

If you only like straight english, heavy scottish, balkan, or straight virginia/perique blend types, or do not like aromatics at all, this blend is not for you. If you're more flexible and have a sweet tooth at times (and I like the foregoing blend types myself), give it a full tin try in a good pipe. Don't jump to a conclusion by a sniff, a puff, a touch, or by imagination. If it doesn't sound like your cup of tea, don't bother with it at all. A bowl won't convince you in that case. But if you want to try a smoke on the sweet side, something suitable for an occasional smoke over a few weeks of different experience and pleasure, give it a try.

I know I'm going to finish up the last few bowls from my tin before I let this Dunhill hibernate again for a while. This is a special, not everyday treat. I hope Dunhill keeps up this blend in small quantities for us few in the U.S. who will continue to partake.

Paul Tatum Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Paul Tatum (86)
Medium Extra Strong Overwhelming Pleasant

Upon opening this tin for the first time I was reminded of the Monty Python skit where the police man goes to the confectioners and complains about the larks vomit . Three Year Matured Virginia would lead on to believe the tobacco to have certain traits . None of which would be the heavy dowsing of fruit aroma . This should definately have a very large label on the front reading "WARNING ! FRUIT FLAVORED!"

Nuggsgalore Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Nuggsgalore (2)
Mild Strong Mild Tolerable

It is an insult to call this tobacco. This could be the worse blend I have ever tried in 10 years of pipe smoking. I have run out of tobacco and smoked drugstore blends that are better. I am usually a fan of Dunhill blends, but this is not good. Dunhill promotes it as a 3-year mature tobacco, but I think it was fermented a little to long. Mature is not the word, geriatric maybe. It is very sweet and fruity. The taste is not only bad, but it never goes away. I have cleaned my Stanwell 3 times and I can still taste it. People who peddle kiddy porn should be forced to smoke this blend for the rest of their lives. Avoid.

gradstudent Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
gradstudent (2)
Mild to Medium Strong Medium Tolerable to Strong

I am new to the world of virginia tobacco. My experience is largely founded by trial and error, and limited to a graduate student?s budget. Being that my focus as a student is on literature, the future does not look better, according to job statistics posted on the math department?s entrance. So exited I was about my recent discovery of Dunhill?s Light Flake, that I ordered three tins of their Mature Virginia. After an initial four days since I clicked on the order, I waited like a sniper for the mailman, and entrenched myself in the bedroom with my required reading of Swann?s Way. The smell upon opening the tin was thick of raspberry! Something like an edible Hallmark Card. It is a dark brown ribbon cut with a few individual blondes hairs if you look hard enough. The tin smell was consistent with the aroma upon the lighting. The flavor was obviously fruity, with the intensity of the flavor varying from mild to medium, and the sweetness of it all was definitely too much for my olfactories. I found the tobacco?s body, in other words its effect on my palate, to be a bit overpowering at times. Perhaps my palate hasn?t callused enough for this blend. The smoothness of this tobacco (the relationship between the body and flavor), is subject to individual taste I suspect, and the fact that Dunhill mass produces this blend must mean that many pipe smokers appreciate it. Nevertheless, the body of this blend was not consistent to me. It possessed the overpowering sweetness of a virginia blend that may have been allowed to ferment too long in its own juices. I suppose I should have researched better before I purchased three tins. My girlfriend walked in on me and claimed the aroma was identical to a shower lotion she uses. On a positive note, the tobacco did smoke better in a MacArthur corncob, though there is something sacrilegious about the act.

linuxconf Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
linuxconf (11)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Strong

I consider myself to love all VA tobacs. However, this one I can't stand. It has a dry awful taste. It burns my throat, and I can't wait for it to end. I can't even finish the bowl.