A balanced blend of Virginia and Turkish Tobaccos, fine rich flavour.

BrandDunhill
Taste

Pontificating Piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pontificating Piper (10)
Medium to Strong Mild Full Pleasant to Tolerable

If you enjoy a full, balanced English, look no further. This is superb. The hint of Turkish rounds this off ever so pleasantly. Filtered or unfiltered you'll find that this hits the spot with a good nicotine kick (should you enhale). It is full on the pallet and delivers satisfaction and relaxation in it's beautiful aroma and wonderfull taste. It is not cloying or overpowering, but pure smoking pleasure and something you'd do well of keeping stock. It burns cleanly and easily although you my need to tamp every five minutes or so, which proves that it is clean, pure tobacco, masterfully blended and delivers on it's promise. If you enjoy Nightcap or Dunhill 965, be sure to try this. You won't be disappointed...

oldcodger Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
oldcodger (32)

Dunhill Standard Mixture (labelled as Standard Mixture Medium before the Orlik production) is a medium strength Virginia, oriental, and latakia blend that has its own flavor profile.

The cut is a slightly broad short ribbon, and the color varies between dark and light, along with the black sprinkles of latakia. The aroma on opening the tin is alluring for those who enjoy oriental and latakia mixtures.

Standard Mixture lights easily and stays lit; it smokes cool; and it does not bite.

The room note is not as heavy as some oriental/latakia laden blends manifest. The nicotine level is medium, not overbearing, but a bit much for smokers who have trouble with strong nicotine.

The Virginia is apparent, but it is not as sweet as many Virginias. The oriental predominates, but the latakia is ever present. The significant note concerning the taste of Standard Mixture is that it has a bitter quality. Some will find this to their liking, but not all.

I don't know if other Dunhill blends have as much toasting as this (Early Morning, for example, is definitely toasted), but the toasty flavor of Standard Mixture is very evident.

I could rate Standard Mixture higher except for the fact that there are many, many medium strength English type blends out there, and I personally enjoy quite a few of them more than this. But I have no trouble myself in smoking Standard Mixture. The bitter note is OK with me, and the toasty flavor I find quite nice.

I have a 35 year old basket rusticated prince pipe (identified only as "Italian briar), that seems to dote on Standard Mixture.

johnstaf Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
johnstaf (12)

I often think there are two types of Dunhill aficionado -the Nightcap man, and the 965 man; and if the former gentleman delights in the oriental splendour of London Mixture, then Mr. 965 should also find much to appreciate in Standard Mixture.

Like 965, Standard Mixture has a dark and almost bitter nutty quality that lends the latakia a rich, woody depth. There is a hint of cigarettes, and a spiciness on the exhale that makes my nose react as though there were perique present -although I can imagine this becoming harsh in a large pipe.

I love every one of the current Dunhill blends, but when I first tried Standard Mixture I didn't think it would be a favourite -I am a Nightcap man ;) However, the delicately flavoured spice has a balance that is everything I love about the Dunhill blends, and I can't help smoking it.

BTW I needed to rest this tobacco for a week or so after opening it, as smoking the fresh tobacco was like smoking a blowtorch.

albfneto Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
albfneto (163)
Medium to Strong Medium Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

Is one of my Favorite Tobaccos in the World.

. A well blended, well combined, mixture of Virginia, Turkish and Latakia Tobaccos.

very Complex, only the Latakia flavour overcomes the other flavours.

One of the best English Mixtures, suitable for smokers that feel strong Latakia ammounts.

In my oppinion,is even better than other Dunhill's Legends as Early Morning, 965, NightCap and RoyalYacht.

Note: The new version, prepared by Orlik, and in the Can is wrote only "Virginia and Turkish" and "Dunhil Standard Mixture" is this stuff. Is que equivalent of the old "Dunhill Standard Medium Mixture".

Don Jefe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Don Jefe (7)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Tolerable

I was not impressed by this mixture when I opened the tin, but it was significantly better after breathing for about a month.

I was able to get a nice sweetness, and the Latakia is nice, but not overpowering. I got best results with a very slow smoke. I thought it became a little flat during the last 1/3 of the bowl, but the sweetness was there the whole time. Nicotine level was medium/high. Burn was clean with no BS.

This is not my favorite Dunhill blend, but it's a solid smoke if aged a bit and smoked slowly.

Pipe Used: MM Country Gent

Age When Smoked: 1 month

Deimitori Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Deimitori (8)

An English blend containing Latakia, Oriental tobacco and Virginia from East Carolina and Georgia. A classic blend of Dunhill, very good quality tobaccos and it's aromatic pallet on which the oriental tobacco taste with their "shades" is the main leader with Latakia to follow with its unique aroma and Virginia to accompany and sweeten the whole fumigants result. However, there is a harmony of flavors in the mix and this is even more obvious if the tobacco has been aged.

Nicely cut tobacco smoke comes in a good "wet" condition when you first open the tin. By opening the tin the smell of fragrant Latakia is here but without dominate the other tobaccos of the blend. Easy to fill a pipe. It burns relatively slowly and so, leaving this "pure white ash" at the bottom of the bowl. As soon as we open new tin it is appropriate to air for about an hour before we smoke it. It performs and smokes better.

Moderate nicotine strength, no artificial flavors. No cough or dizziness. Certainly it is desirable not to be with an empty stomach when you smoke it. A smoke that does not bite at all (always with a calm smoking style). It get's little messy in the filter of the pipe pipe.

The aroma in the room is pleasant and acceptable and not particularly heavy or annoying for those "unfortunate" not like Latakia ...In my opinion, and with my little experience in pipe smoking, and having smoked and Early Morning Pipe and My Mixture 965, the other "brothers" of Dunhill, Standard Mixture Medium is a very good English blend, honest and concise.

It's now my beloved Dunhill tobacco. With the aging of the tobacco it wins in a very tasteful harmony and fullness! When I spend my day by smoking tobaccos by Dunhill I divide my day fumigants as follows:

Breakfast bowl: Early Morning Pipe. Afternoon bowl: Standard Mixture Medium. Dinner bowl: My Mixture 965.

The Dunhill Standard Mixture Medium can be smoked all day long. It can also be an all day smoke tobacco.

For me Dunhill Standard Mixture Medium is a constant quality, a very good quality tobacco, a constant value in English blends. A classic, historic tobacco would not ever disappoint me. It will always be in my tobacco cellar.

Now, I will also smoke for the first time Dunhill London Mixture. I am sure this will also be a great pipe tobacco!

Steerpike Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Steerpike (60)
Medium None Detected Full Tolerable

Very nice, well balanced Latakia blend of the highest quality. Smells musty and smokey in the tin, as Dunhill latakia tends to, not so rich as nightcap but that sort of smell. Its a medium fine ribbon cut, lots of dark leaf, it looks tasty! Packs easily, lights easily and burns steadily and completely.

The flavouris full, not so smooth as 965, but with a toasty taste from the virginia leaf. Some spiciness from the Turkish, and plenty of Latakia flavour, which I enjoy. The flavour is complex, but does not really change much through the bowl, maybe getting just a touch richer at the end. The aroma is full quite heavy, but definitely enjoyable. I enjoyed it a lot, as far as I can see the tobacco is of the highest quality, and I can reccomend it to all latakia lovers.

----------------UPDATE-------------------------------------------

I've added a star as this blend is just so damned good. It really is what it says on the tin: the standard english mixture. One on which all others are just variations on a theme. I have a few old tins of this, whether the age improves them or not, I don't know, but the old Dunhill tobaccos are about the best English Mixtures out there. I could smoke this all day: plentifully rich, but not overpowering, never bites, burns cool, dry, all the way to the end. It doesn't change in character much through the bowl: the flavours are too well integrated for that. What a blend.

Noorrmm Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Noorrmm (193)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

Appearance: A slighly broad ribbon cut, about equal parts medium and dark colors. Ribbons are quite uniform, typical Dunhill attention to detail

Aroma: Lots of Virginia base, with Latakia and Turkish in the background. The aroma leads you to believe that the balance is the star.

Packing: Packs easily in most pipes, group 3 and up.

Lighting: Typical lighting procedure, not too quick or too slow.

Initial flavor: The Va comes across first, with authority and some strength. The Turkish and Latakia add their flavors soon after, and the balance I expected is there..

Mid-bowl: A classic English/Oriental blend with good layering of the components, but nothing too dramatic. Actually somewhat plain tasting, and unassuming, but very likeable This is what I started smoking English tobaccos for.. No gurgles noted.

Finish: Well behaved right to the end, leaves a gray ash and nothing else.

Summary: Not as complex as some of the newer blends, but not as challenging to get into the zone with. A real classic with unique charm, probably one of Dunhill?s oldest.

orka Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
orka (52)
Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Opening the tin reveals tightly packed, finely cut and quite short ribbons - not totally unlike any other Dunhill mixture. There didn't appear to be many stems, at least not while digging around in the outer layer when fluffing up the tobacco for closer inspection. It appears to be a pretty even mix of lighter brown and darker to black tobaccos. A smaller portion have a nice olive green tint to them.

The tin note is remarkably unassuming at first glance. On closer inspection it does let it be known that there is indeed latakia in here, but I actually was anticipating a more powerful aroma. There is a leathery smoky component for sure, but it intermingles well with the overall sweet tartness of the scent. There is also an earthy and spicy scent here that I very much like. But neither of these notes that I detect are very bold and up front. Overall it gives a muted impression.

To the touch the tobacco from the newly opened tin is drier than anticipated, and leaves some stickiness on the fingers after compressing between the fingers - this little test tells me that this is a pretty good condition for just loading into the pipe and light up.

Packing the pipe is easy and a quick pre-light draw reveals an airy sweetness on the tongue. Upon charring there is some increased spicy sweetness, and I'm briefly reminded of Old Dublin. Puffing gently after true-lighting the turkish makes itself immediately known, a bit less sweet than London Mixture, and I also think there is a greater part of latakia here compared to LM, and overall more incense like spice throughout, both in taste and smell.

Wood and spice becomes more evident in the later stages of the smoke. It also evolves into a more full finish. Never bitter or unpleasant, and always with a somewhat velvety mouthfeel. A good end to a nice smoke with a perfectly acceptable nicotine punch, just the way I like it. At first I did not pick up at all on any of the toastiness others have reported, which perplexed me a little, but eventually found it in the 1/3 of the pipe in subsequent smokes; mainly in the nasal exhales. I didn't find it to be a very protrudent component of the smoke (hence the billing as "lightly toasted", I suppose).

The room note is nothing a non-smoker, or one not accustomed to englishes, would cheer for, I'd imagine. But then again, I didn't find it lingering or too obtrusive whilst it lasted either. Definately not when compared to, say, Nightcap, Commonwealth, or even 965.

I did get tend to get the odd gurgling now and then, which makes me think that perhaps I should take care to let it air for a bit before packing the pipe, or perhaps I didn't pace myself quite as well as I thought I was. But the tobacco behaves pretty well regardless; especially considering it's still a relatively new tin. I'd say that perhaps it's not suited for mindless puffing, as some slight irritation on the tongue follows upon doing so - but that might just be me nitpicking, I've had much worse tonguemanglings from other blends at their best than this did at its worst.

My overall impression after just about half way through the tin is that there is definately potential here for something nice, and it does improve around the 2-3 week mark of being opened. In my experience this is common with any blend, but Dunhill's in particular. There is also reason to suspect that this will greatly improve if aged, especially the virginias - they are sweet as they are, albeit perhaps a bit dull (they lack that intense edge that I always find myself looking for anytime there's Virginia involved). If that aspect gets more developed, this could become really good. Three years in the cellar, like someone before me suggested sounds about right. A bit much for the impatient, perhaps, but there are enough interesting things going on here that it might be worth the effort, and maybe when aged it can truly live up to the claim of setting the standard.

Will it replace LM or 965 for me? Probably not, but I think that if you're not quite into the sweet oriental thing that Early Morning Pipe has going on, or if the turkish is too much in London Mixture, or the force of My Mixture 965 is just too much to handle, then Standard Mixture might just be the middle ground you're looking for.

That being said, there is still alot to like here and I might just gather an extra tin or three and see what happens down the road. In the meantime, I might just keep smoking it for the sake variation to the usual suspects. All in all, it strikes me as just a little bit too crude to deserve an instant 4-star grade. Had decimals been allowed, I wouldn't argue too much with something in the 3-3.5 range.

Pipe Used: Peterson 999, Stanwell billiard

Age When Smoked: New tin.

Purchased From: pipe-shop.net

Knightsmoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Knightsmoker (58)

This is what I have come to expect out of an English blend. The lat. is smokey, earthy, with notes of leather and does not over power the other elements. The Orientals have a little creamy taste and at times a musty and floral note comes through. The VA's remind me of hay and have sweetened just a little. A very good blend that is sure to be someones go to blend. I would think that with 5 yrs. on it it would be better still, maybe at 6-7 at the peak of what it will be. I will pick up more eventually and age to that mark to see. There are blends in the med. cat. that I like better but this is what a good English blend should taste like. 3. 5 stars and would be a good place of the non-English smoker to start at if they are willing to cellar a tin to at least the 3 yr. mark. The earlier tin was not what this is if my memory serves and it did bite a little at the 6 month mark. This does not unless you just push too hard.

Age When Smoked: 3 yrs. 7 months

Dunhill Standard . Delicious ! The blend itself is a lovely mix of different shades of Brown , right from some very light (almost Yellow) to some very dark . It is of an excellent moisture level and gives off a Grass like aroma . This mix takes to the flame superbly , getting lit on the first attempt and once lit the burn is brilliantly even giving off a lovely cool smoke . The flavour of the smoke is simply delightful , with a good Nicotine amount . You get the Virginia taste acting like the backbone of the mix with its simple Hay like note with a sublime Smokiness coming from the Latakia and there is also a Spicy touch to the mix . If you inhale the smoke it goes down with ease and does not make your head spin from the Nicotine amount . The burn is fairly cool and very steady , leaving a pure White ash at the end of the bowl . This is a very mellow tasting smoke that would make an awesome regular Tobacco !

Pipe Used: Rattrays

Purchased From: Smoke King

StimeyStrongwater Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
StimeyStrongwater (7)

This is my favorite English to date. From the instant I opened my tin I found myself craving the taste of this tobacco. I think this is the fasted I have smoked a tin haha. A great tobacco for any occasion whether you use it as an all day smoke or a sit and relax smoke to pick out all the complexities. It works either way. The oriental flavor in this blend is fantastic and the way it's balanced is what kept me coming back for more.

Mild to Medium Medium Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Its very hard to say, which Dunhill is or was the best.

But for sure, SMM belongs to them.

do not be fooled by the name Standard

Its a everyday and everytime stuff. And thats is the biggest for me. No one times effect as so many new stuff, wich was the last years over internet so much promoted

Age When Smoked: 1 - 5

Wibblefishofdoom Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Wibblefishofdoom (111)

Like everyone else, I am taking this one to be the modern stand alone Standard Mixture. I only bought this as it occurred to me that I hadn't bought a Dunhill in a while and hadn't particularly noticed this one before. I didn't have any high expectations of it as I find their offerings a bit hit and miss so thought what the hell and gave it a go.

The tin aroma is one of mild creosote, to be expected of a mild lat, which this is. The smoke in and of itself is a funny one, it can get a little rough at times, though I do wonder if that's because I've been puffing too hard. When I've managed to slow the smoke down, this manages to provide a nice, mild melange of flavours, at it's freshest giving me little hints of Special Latakia Flake, if not quite as nice. When I wasn't smoking too hard, I found this, not wildly exciting, but just nicely pleasant.

This isn't a wildly exciting tobacco and the flavours are mild, but they're varied enough to keep it interesting, just avoid the roughness and smoke it slowly. Nicely deserves three stars.

JustinCarcerated Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JustinCarcerated (54)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Strong

Aged this tin 1-2 years, atypical selection for Louisiana summer-I prefer the derived warmth of English blends when it's not 100+ with humidity that would saturate a dry ShamWow by mid-day:(

Be that as it is- excellent presentation, lighter coloration than Nightcap, density and cut superbly British in nature.

Humidity spot-on, fired up bowl in a Sav set up for same, burn is great, needs little to no maintenance, reduced to typical Dunhill dottle.

I see this as possibly the 'base' for NC, without the Perique, yet with that great mouthfeel and jumpy vitamin N kick. I can sense the pecan in this mix, earthy-in a metallic hearty nut manner (Pecans are the South's Walnuts).

It's a decent blend, worthwhile especially if Perique is not your thing.....yet;)

Not sure I'd buy this again, if I did it would age nicely, perhaps sweeten the Va base.

Hottgunn Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Hottgunn (18)

Initially I was very unimpressed with this blend. I think that my palate has matured since then and I like this blend very much. Tasty, smooth and very rich - very much an all day smoke. More layed back than LM and 965 but a stronger blend than EMP which is more of a sweet Oriental. I must say that I cannot fault any of Dunhill's blends depending on how your tastes run. I find them very consistent and well done. As in all of the Dunhill blends, the balance is exceptional. They are the tobacco base from which I judge all others. I very much enjoy both Dunhill pipes and tobaccos. Good show!

Cofj Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Cofj (2)
Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Known as Standard Mixture, it is very similar to Standard Mixture Mellow... the unique difference is the strength... a very nice english mixture, not so mellow, but a nice one... for sure, worth a try.

Medium Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

This is indeed a little fuller than the Standard Mixture Mild. Both have a little cigarette taste, but it's more of a hint than anything else. It can bite if you overdo. The Virginia is mild with a touch of sweetness and is fairly grassy. The Oriental/Turkish acts in a supporting role with a light spice note, while the latakia has the usual smoky, woodsy character you'd expect it to. A well balanced blend.

Btw, the Sutiff match is fairly close and will do when this is unavailable or if you need to save some money.

DavidP Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DavidP (24)

This is a review of the red labeled standard mixture tin.

Nice tin aroma, sweet with a nice tang on too. Nothing really sticks out in the flavor, just a cohesive blend of smokey orientals over a solid, sweet base.

Good cut, easy to stuff, light, and keep lit.

Overall a this is a solid, enjoyable smoke.

Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

Sometimes, when I open a tin of a tobacco I have not tried before, I wonder what I was expecting when I bought it. In this case, I did not. It's a full English. So, the tin note is full, toasty-fruity, and pretty much exactly what I had expected.

The tobacco comes in a nice, easy-to-handle long ribbon cut, with mostly dark brown leaf in there, about one third being approximately equal amounts of black and bright. So, Latakia, VA, Orient.

Stuffs and lights easily enough, and burns without much maintenance. But, and this is a knock-out criterium for me, it turns somewhat tarry/bitter towards the end. So, while there is enough strength in there to make this an evening smoke for me, and the taste is enjoyable enough in the first three quarters, I feel I can only cautiously recommend, i.e., 2 stars.

Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Tolerable

Standard Medium has the typical Dunhill signature taste and it never bores me. However with that said it is not as complex as some other English blends and lacks the slight sweetness of 965. It is very balanced without any particular dominate player. Beware that this can be quite strong in the nicotine department. Hopefully Dunhill will reappear soon as it would be a crime to see these blends gone forever.

BriarPatch Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BriarPatch (33)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Tolerable

I have been smoking Dunhill Standard Mixture Medium for near-on 30 years, at least 3 times daily, and I believe that it has no equal anywhere on earth. But it is gone now, and so I begin a quest for my Holy Grail: A substitute to replace the standard on which all English tobaccos are based. Having smoked in the neighborhood of 1400 tins of the stuff, I believe I might be able to provide some insight.

To this end I have ordered in 40+ different varieties of English / Balkan Types, including all of the usual suspects such as Squadron Leader, Penzance, Margate, et al, as well as contacting G.L. Pease & Cornell & Diehl and having them each send 5 blends that they deem the closest to my treasured SMM.

Over the next few months I'll be going through all of them and posting results under it's own blend page (click on Briarpatch under By Reviewer to see all reviews), but when I am finished I'll sumize the results here in the hope of benefiting someone else in similar straights. When SMM was discontinued I had no idea where to turn, and I eventually ended up here. Perhaps others will as well.

Update 7/09: The winner is Samuel Gawith! The short of it is, Samuel Gawith's Skiff Mixture is the closest. But what really comes close is mixing up about 60% Skiff and 40% Full Virginia Flake. Skiff lacks the richness of SMM, which FFV has in spades. Mixed together it makes for a very nice full & rich smoke. The down- side is all the mixing and the lugging of two tins around...

In the evening after dinner a mixture of Skiff and Brown Rope No.4 is extremely enjoyable!

Professor Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Professor (67)

Dunhill's Standard Mixture Medium is a solid English tobacco. It looks great, packs well, and smokes to a very good ash. It is not, however, without its problems. The taste is uniform, from the beginning of the bowl to the bottom--a bit too much so. There are simply no shades of flavour here and that is rather curious. This weed, like all Dunhill tobacco that I have tried, also left my throat irritated. There is a backwash of harshness in this smoke that interferes with any pleasure that I might derive from smoking it. Indeed, a glorious sunny day in the country cannot be enjoyed with this companion. For once in my life, I found the wife better company than my choice of tobacco.

Plihopliheri Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Plihopliheri (7)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable

After reading some very favorable reviews here, I was a bit disappointed when I smoked my first bowl of Standard Mix. It did bite a little, and was not as rounded as I expected from an English blend. However, I like a bit of Latakia, and I did not think I noticed any here.

I think I should follow Don Jefe's advice and let it breath for a month or so before smoking the second bowl. I shall update the review then.

Pipe Used: Savinelli

krg1000 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
krg1000 (134)

I find this blend to be a middle of the road English that is nicely blended to form a very good blend. It lights and stays lit well and burns down to a nice ash at the bottom of the bowl. The moisture level is just right even just after opening up the tin. Another quality blend from Dunhill that I recommend giving a try when you have the chance.

Aesman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Aesman (3)

I did not intend to purchase this blend because I didn't think it would have enough vitamin N for my taste but as luck would have it a coworker that was traveling with me had mentioned that he would like to try smoking a pipe as opposed to dip tobacco, With the imagery of him spitting in a cup as we travel for the next 8 hours I was more then happy to oblige so off to the local Tobacco shop to purchase a corn cob and some mild mannered tobacco I chose this blend never having smoked it, I loaded his & my pipe ,gave him the verbal quick start guide, I lit mine and settled in for a mediocre smoke I assumed but was pleasantly surprised at first it tasted like a high grade Prince Albert but developed in to a complex nutty balanced blend don't know how else to describe it as far as vitamin N goes it was very satisfying which was the biggest surprise, my normal blends are FVF,Solini aged burley ,Cumberland ,1792,Royal Yacht ECT.

Pipe Used: Peterson Pot

Age When Smoked: Off the shelf

Purchased From: Local shop

who me? Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
who me? (8)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

Being a huge Dunhill fan, I wanted to try this to see how it compared to the rest of their line. In a word "unfavorably". Although it maintains Dunhill's great cut, easy packing and reliable burning characteristics, this is my least favorite blend from my favorite blender. For me, Standard Mixture is just a good "cutter" for their more flavorful blends (Nightcap/Royal Yacht) when I want a "little less" that full strength.

Very middle of the road. Nothing remarkable. No zing, no pop. I know its common to say, but this blend really is just boring. Nothing really stood out, just sort of a confused smokey experience.

Smoke in peace, brothers and sisters of the leaf.

The Happy Piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The Happy Piper (14)
Extremely Mild None Detected Extremely Mild (Flat) Unnoticeable

My review consists of two words

Utterly pointless.

It really baffles me that Dunhill would put their name on this at all and to call it "Standard Mixture" is just an insult. Dunhill "I have no idea what tobacco is supposed to taste like but it has a famous name on the tin so I'll buy it" mixture would be more precise.

Pavlov Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pavlov (1)

I did not really enjoy this, it was bitter to me and had a bitter aftertaste. I couldn't even finish the tin. I can not quite put my finger on it, but there was something I just did not like about this mixture.

Demetri Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Demetri (100)

I seem to be negative in my reviews of the current offerings under the Dunhill label. I do hate to admit that considering how much I enjoyed MM965 pre-Murrays for years and years. You see, folks, I allowed myself to fool myself when I found Standard Mixture Mild to be closer (but not by much) to my old favorite than today's 965. I incorrectly reasoned that if Mild was not bad, Medium would be better. Mistake. False premises. I had an instant dislike of the taste of Medium from first bowl and throughout my one (and to be only) tin. I had to force myself to finish the tin. It does have quality tobaccos I guess, but the particular recipe just did not taste good for me. Others may find this their cup of tea, so to speak, but not I. The mixture of Orientals assaulted my taste buds, pure and simple. They overwhelmed everything else and did not complement themselves. I will stick with London Mixture henceforth as the best this label has to offer at this time. And I do enjoy that one very much.

machinebcon Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
machinebcon (50)

Not my favourite tobacco of all, but a mixture that doesn't disappoint. No highlights, a healthy dose of N and very cigarettish feeling with enough complexity to keep you interested in it throughout the bowl. 4.5/5, tastes sometimes a bit 'dirty' compared to other fine selections of Dunhill. Haven't detected Pecan or Walnut flavour O.o

AlexL Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
AlexL (26)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable

Bought Danish tin of this stuff. Too mild for my taste and pretty dull. It's not that bad, but why bother when I have so many other possibilities. It can suit those who like mild tobacco with "Camel" feeling.

I'm placing my review under the "Medium" as my tin just says "Standard Mixture" . However, it appears the 'Full' isn't made anymore and it doesn't say 'Mild' either, so I assume this is where my review belongs. The fine print on the can says, " A balanced blend of Virginia and Turkish tobaccos".

In any case, I find this blend boring, flavorless, lacking sweetness, burns a little hot and doesn't develop in the bowl. I'm debating if I should just throw this away as there are so many "losers" in my cellar that I'll never get to smoke. Ah, I'll keep it for a few years and see if it improves.

Not unsmokable , so it gets 2 stars.

Updated 1/10/13 Well I've had this cellared for about a year and this has improved, much smoother and improved flavor. Here's the key, pack this tight and smoke it slow. Probably closer to 3 stars but since I had to wait a year, it stays at 2

Tylerg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tylerg (4)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Tolerable

Not very impressed by this one, but its alright. Not very stong, but had a bit much of a nic kick which i did not enjoy

Trippwire Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Trippwire (58)
Strong None Detected Very Full Tolerable to Strong

Orlik blend, labelled "standard mixture". Tastes like London mixture, but a bit more cigarettish, and no orientals (as far as I can tell). Full latakia taste, very, very nice. I have 2 more tins put away and will be getting more. This is one of those few special blends for me. 10 out of 10. Very satisfying.

Mike__P Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mike__P (87)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant

Dissuaded by all of the negative reviewers pining for the old formula, I avoided this Orlik version for years. But I gave the newly-released Standard Mixture a go, and I am so happy that I did. I prefer medium English/Balkan mixtures the most, and this one is a bell ringer. It is balanced, creamy and rich, meatier and darker than London Mixture, with a touch more Latakia that is prominent in Act One but quickly fades to reveal the star of the show, which is the Virginias. The tin note is also delicious.

Overall, it seems to be in the ballpark of what Pease calls "medium," which is to say quite full. Halfway through the bowl, I actually thought I was smoking a Pease blend, although the Latakia isn't as assertive. The only drawback to me is that it can get a bit harsh toward the bottom -- I know when I'm done, if you know what I mean, which is too bad because I don't want the show to end. Then again, Dunhill doesn't skimp on nicotine, so perhaps it's just as well.

Don't let the negative reviews sway you. Give it a try and judge for yourself. A must try if you like this category of tobacco blends.

stuff_n_puff Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
stuff_n_puff (1)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Extremely Mild (Flat) Tolerable

It stuffed well and puffed well, and there it ends! I am glad this was a sample given to me by a friend as it was awful. It was akin to smoking a bowl full of crushed cigarettes. The flavour was insipid, and it left me with an irritated mouth and throat.

There has to be very little other than Virginia in this blend, which makes it more like a home rolled cigarette than a tasty pipe tobacco. I tried nightcap yesterday, and that was a wonderful, rich experience with many flavour nuances. I'm not a big fan of virginias, but this stuff was ridiculous!

gladi8tor96 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
gladi8tor96 (49)
Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

My tin just says "Standard Mixture" and was not the 'Medium' mixture, which I could have purchased at my local shop. However, it appears the 'full' isn't made anymore and it doesn't say 'Mild' either, so I assume this is where this tin belongs (Orlik Made).

Anyway...I didn't detect, in the tin, the scent of Orientals or Latakia in this blend at all. I didn't notice them either when I smoked it. It was a very pleasant smoke however and reminded me of a good VA blend. It smoke very well, was mild on the tongue, decent N-kick, and smelled over-all delicious. Was disappointed as I didn't detect Orientals and Latakia though.

Update The more I smoke it the more boring it becomes.

Davie Jones Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Davie Jones (61)

I have been hesitating for quite a while about trying the new Dunhill made by Orlik. I first tried the Navy Rolls - which I had never tried before - and ended up disappointed. So, for the sake of fairness, I decided to give one that I had already smoked a try. I ordered a tin of SM. Upon opening the tin, no surprise here: this tobacco looks and smells the same as the Murray production, with maybe a less spicy smell to it. Smoking it remains very similar to the Murray as well, with maybe less taste from the Turkish tobacco. It is still nice and flavorful, without any major changes trhoughout the bowl, except a bigger presence from the Turkish. SM smokes very well, barely bites - only when I push it - and left me overall pleased from the experience. The Vitamine N dose is not quite mild, but not quite medium either. I don't know about the other varieties, but this one comes to me as well done by Orlik. I think I will rebuy every once in a while. And maybe try Royal Yacht next time to see how they managed it.

Darth Vader Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Darth Vader (75)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

"Dunhill Standard Mixture"My tin says "A balanced blend of Virginias and Turkish tobbaccos Fine Rich Flavour" Nothing about Lat or orientals and i dont taste or see much of them either (a few dark bits). Orlik blend.

This is a great full smoke with the usual good Dunhill nicotine dose. 1st class as always. I open and then close and rest nearly all my tobaccos for a month to let them breath out and give their true flavour. Very nice indeed!

N.B. If your a bit of a girl with stronger baccy's or have a soft mouth then EMP is probably the only Dunhill i would recommend rather than this one.

This is a new tin that no longer says medium on the tin. I was very excited to try this tobacco but I must say that I am very disappointed.

The tin smells fantastic and has the aroma of pure tobacco. The tobacco itself is a little moist and does need some airing out.

Complaint: This tobacco smokes ROUGH. I rarely get tongue bite but this blend has done a number on my tongue, throat and nose. If I were to guess, I'd say the Virginia used in this blend is too young. This really is too bad since the flavor of this tobacco is great. I plan to empty the tin into a mason jar for a few months. I will update this review around Thanksgiving.

UPDATE 9/19/11:

I decided to smoke two more bowls of this in two different pipes. The tobacco doesn't bite as bad. However, the mouthfeel is similar to smoking Perique. At this point, this tobacco tastes like a red Virginia and Perique blend. The Virginia is so tart that I can't taste the Turkish or Latakia but I will continue aging this tin.

10-17-11

Vader, there is a difference between strong and harsh. This tobacco is and continues to be harsh. Doesn't hold a candle to London Mixture.

Budman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Budman (24)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

My tin says "Standard Mixture"? Well whatever the Tin says is irrelevant. This blend, London Mixture and Nightcap have become my regulars. I think Orlik has done a superb job! Good starter blend for someone wanting to look into the English world, as the Latakia is there but not the dominate leaf. The Virginas and the Orientals play the main course and the Latakia is the backup. This packs and lights well and smokes to a medium gray ash. Thanks Orlik!

Medium None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

This must be the tobacco with the best earned name: Standard Mixture. Should I need to describe an English mixture, I'd hand a tin over without saying a word. Well balanced, with a slight predominance of Orientals over Virginias, and the "right" amount of Latakia for a medium strength English mixture.

Note: this review is based on the current Orlik reincarnation. I never had the chance to try the original Dunhill nor the Murray versions.

GSTQ Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
GSTQ (31)

Appearance is a ribbon of mixed browns. Tin smells of smoke, musty, and slightly sweet. Tastes lightly sweet, with a soft smokiness.

Standard is a good name for this, in the sense that it is a nice tobacco to make your usual. A nice mixture of tobaccos making for a very nice smoke. In the tin it smells just a bit like the old snuff my grandfather used. A nice honest tobacco.

MDP Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
MDP (37)

My first review of this blend was the Murray edition, and I gave it four stars. The Orlik tin being reviewed now was opened and smoked without and with age. It was marked "Standard Mixture Medium" before the various legal restrictions on tobacco labels of the words "medium" and "mild."

Fresh, SMM was edgy, sharp on the palette and lacking balance. The tangy Oriental tobaccos almost completely overshadowed both the fine Virginia and Latakia. The tin contents were also a color wheel of bright, light browns, dark browns and black tobaccos- very attractive. There were also nice chunks of flake left un-rubbed.

Aged (w/o vacuum sealing), this tobacco really changed after just 18 months- all for the better. The edges were softened a bit allowing me to taste the various flavors without the sting. Noteworthy was the near uniform color of the tobaccos, with all but the black tobaccos turning several hues darker. The most beneficial change came from all the tobaccos shining through with flavor, albeit with the emphasis still on the Oriental component. The Virginias and Latakia playing solid, supporting roles.

This is a blend to buy and rest. It has every bit of potential to reach the flavor depth SMM achieved during Murray's better years, even outshining it.

ap Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ap (56)

Classic mixture with the Orientals running the show, Latakia its there but more in the background. This is a medium body smoke, good for anytime of the day.

kiowapipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
kiowapipe (17)

Hell yes. In my book, this blend is something like an Arch-English. The tin note literally makes me smile and sigh every time I load a bowl. Not my favorite tobacco, but perfect at what it does and manifestly enjoyable to smoke. Something about the warm, musty leather flavor seems uniquely Dunhill to me. It's interesting and well-balanced, with a prominent turkish component that really gives this a straight-up full tobacco flavor. Not everyone will want to keep a tin on hand, but I feel I can safely recommend it as an "ought-to try" to anyone who likes a traditional full English.

Darth 69 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Darth 69 (76)

I smoked quite a lot of this when Murrays made it going back almost twenty years ago and still have many of the empty tins. This newer Orlik reformulation seems close but not quite the same. Nevertheless, it's overall is a fine blend and this brand is probably destined to regain pinnacle of quality english blends as it was in the past. It's a bit too moist out of the tin but dries out fairly well over a few hours. The cut is finer which I like; Makes for a more harmonious and unified character. But, there is a slight harshness that I think is coming from the red virginia. The older Dunhill SMM had a predominately golden virginia base with a far lessor element of some stoved hard pressed broken red virgina cake that had a slight tea and herbal sweetness. This red virginia in this newer blend seems to be more plentiful, not as well matured, pressed far less and more so spun out to ribbon. I can't quite tell if there is less latakia or the finer cut is attenuating it's character but, I found the level of the smokiness more subdued but very pleasing with a slight salty character which I really like. Age may take off the edge of the red virginia or perhaps Orlik could improve that component.

Addendum:

On further consideration I think this blend's deficiency due to harshness possibly due to the not so well matured red virgina as noted above is more of an issue. It irratates and tickles the back of my throat and nasal cavity less pleasant than perique with it's impact. I have lowerd my recommendation to two stars and hope for improvement in the future.

Dr. Hall Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dr. Hall (15)
Medium Medium Medium Tolerable

Revised: The Orlik Standard Mixture Dunhill is a pretty good blend. This one seems somewhat closer to the older renditions of this blend, though I always smoked more of London Mixture than this one in the past. Less sweet than London Mixture (past) but about the same strength, slightly more oriental forward and a bit more heavy than London Mixture, well rounded overall. I wasn't impressed at all with Orlik's Early Morning Pipe, My Mixture 965, or London Mixture (after a few bowls), but Standard Mixture is a tolerable, mild-medium flavored blend. Of all of the Orlik reissues of the Dunhill blends, Standard Mixture is only one I'd buy again, but it's not going to be a regular for me.

Johnny River Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Johnny River (17)

It's certainly nice to have this tobacco available in the market. Dunhill Standard needs about 10 minutes of air time before loading (at least in the winter dry air months). The orientals seem to be the front runner to my taste. It lights easily and burns effortlessly with an occasional relight needed. It stays tasty down to the bottom of the bowl. It produces lots of smoke, plenty of rich oriental tobacco flavor and provides enough nicotine to satisfy a habit. Tripjoker's review says it all but I needed to put my 2 cents in to add an exclamation point.

Tripjoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tripjoker (64)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Original review 12-24-10 After smoking 6 tins of this particular blend I am more than prepared to offer a solid review. The newly re-released Dunhill Standard Mixture (previously known as Standard Mixture Medium) is fantastic! I didn't think it possible to outdo the previous incarnation, but I have been proved wrong. This IMHO is even better than it was before all the drama of the shutdown in production. Perhaps change isn't such a bad thing afterall.

The look of the tobacco is beautiful. The full range of colors, red, tan, brown, black and the gorgeous light green of turkish. The cut is a fine ribbon and the tin aroma after an hour of air is sublime. The ultimate english experience. Unlike alot of tobaccos, this one comes ready to pack right out of the tin with a moisture level that is perfect. I do like to air it for about an hour before smoking though, to allow the oxygen time to start the aerobic organisms working. That's when the true magic happens and all the flavors come together at peak level. Just like a fine wine, fine tobacco needs a little air time to breathe. Nearly all tobacco is what I can 'tin dumb' when just opened.

The packing is easy, and takes to match very well. The burn rate is medium, not too slow or fast. The flavor is best when sipped and the turkish is the true star of the show. It dances with the virginia sensually, and the latakia is applied with a light touch. It's there but not the star of the show. This is the most harmonious blending of tobaccos that I think I have ever tasted. A masterpiece if there ever was one.

The strength is medium to start and builds to a nice stout crescendo at the end. Never overwhelming, just builds to match the expectation of 'more' as you smoke. Perfect. Very rarely needs a relight, and when it does, will relight well, with only a slight loss of flavor in the first few sips, then you are back to the dance!

I do hope that this becomes available in bulk when the distribution chain is well established again. I like the tins, but am a fairly regular smoker, 5-7 bowls per day, and would like to buy this in a larger bulk amount. Until then, I have purchased 50 tins through my local B&M supplier and will purchase 50 more next month just to insure my supply until a decision about bulk comes down the pike.

Sorry for the long review, but my enthusiasm for this blend is like new love, it's hard to contain! This blend and Night Train from C&D are the two blends that are taking all my attention and cellar space at the moment. I'm just so satisfied with them both that I don't smoke anything else anymore. I have about 300 tins of other tobaccos in the cellar that will have to wait for another day to smoke them now. LOL

Update 1-21-11 Over a month of smoking this about 75% of the time, and I'm still as in love as I was. I cannot thank Dunhill enough for allowing this to be released again. I know that I am dancing in the streets and I suspect that Briarpatch will be too! LOL Cheers

SergentPepper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SergentPepper (5)
Mild Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

In my opinion, it's not a bad thing to have standards in your mind for every day life: you can use them as compass when you find yourself lost in a world ready to sell you anything money can buy. It doesn't mean one has to love just a single thing. It's simply because it helps "find the North" whenever you just don't know anymore... -In classical music, Bach or Mozart could be wonderful composers to refer to as "standard genius". -In Pop Music, if you refer to anything else than The Beatles, it simply means that: a)You've got no education. b)You're deaf (!) So, no better name could have been assigned to "Standard Mixture" by Dunhill: a)it's a mixture b)It's a satandard ! I always have this blend on my mind when I'm tasting a new one: a)If it's 50% as good as SM, it's a VERY GOOD tobacco. b)If it's better, it's too much for all day smoke. As an Irish descendant, I want to add this: a)The Bristish Empire didn't always produce marvellous things for the rest of the world, at the very least. b)I do admit they gave us: Football (soccer), The Beatles and Standard Mixture by Dunhill :-) Perfect balance, easy to smoke, wonderful taste for hours.

Olo Toadfoot Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Olo Toadfoot (1)

Great news! This week (1 Dec 2010) I received my order of the newly re-available Dunhill Tobaccos (purchased from Iwan Ries.) The former Dunhill Standard Mixture Medium is now called Standard Mixture Mellow (due to new US regulation, companies can no longer use words like light, mild, medium, etc.)

I was totally devastated a couple of years ago when I discovered that Dunhill tobaccos had ceased operation. (This was on the heels of Gauloises rolling tobacco having stopped US distribution, too. I felt doomed.)

I had been smoking Dunhill Standard Mixture Medium for over 25 years. I would occasionally pick up tins of other tobaccos (especially Dunhill Nightcap) but Standard Mixture Medium was my go to tobacco for day in, day out enjoyment. Other reviewers have described it as their "desert island" tobacco. I would totally agree, if I could only smoke one brand, this would be it.

It took me over six months of trying various other English Style tobaccos before I found BriarPatch's review of Samuel Gawith's Skiff. Between that and their Balkan Flake, I was pretty contented to have found tobaccos that could "almost" replace my Standard Mixture Medium.

I was absolutely giddy in September when I saw the announcement that Dunhill tobaccos would be available in the US again. I placed my order and patiently waited. Last night I opened my first tin and here is what I found.

The tobacco smoked great, perhaps just a bit milder than I remember. (But then again, perhaps smoking Skiff this past year has bumped me up half a step. I really can't tell.) Also, the tobacco was perhaps just a bit finer cut than I recall, but that's not problematic to me. It smoked smooth and cool. If you are looking for a medium strength English mixture, this is the one to try!

All in all, I would say that Dunhill is definitely back.

sgharvey Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
sgharvey (2)

Tin from 2004, possibly a bit earlier. I believe that would be Murray production.

Tin note: barbecue sauce, almost unpleasant, but not quite. Very smoky. I have a tin of '05 Aperitif that is even smokier and more of a barbecue sauce smell, which is actually slightly unpleasant, even if it is a lovely smoke.

Balanced, medium, but not average. There are subtleties here that I'm not yet able to perceive, so I'll be coming back to it sometime in the future. Delightfully smoky, but not extremely so. My '05 Aperitif is much smokier and is much heavier on the barbecue end of things.

Leaves my mouth dry and scratchy if I smoke a whole bowl, but I've only been smoking pipe for a week and a half. Eating a pickle after this sensation occurs relieves it by the time the pickle is gone, so I'd say it's the alkalinity of the smoke.

It always burns nicely, leaving little to no dottle, no matter how I pack it. When I get the packing right, I use maybe 5-6 matches per bowl instead of 15, so I'm fairly certain any combustion issues are my own fault.

I've smoked it in what I believe to be an apple shape and an egg shape pipe. The apple is a no name with a poorly drilled draft hole that gives me tongue bite no matter what. The egg is a Savinelli Tevere 606 sandblasted bent stem. In the Savinelli, if I pack carefully and smoke carefully, I get almost no tongue bite at all.

This is only the third blend I've tried, and I'll come back to redo this later on when I've got some more experience (I've jarred a bit of it).

Claudius Stradivarius Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Claudius Stradivarius (171)

Murray's production.

Very rich and tasty, without being strong. A true delight.

Tee-dub Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tee-dub (48)
Medium None Detected Full Pleasant

This is an Orlik tin which reads simply 'Standad Mixture' on the cheap adhesive label. Alas, no quaint painted tin, but really who cares?

From other reviews, I sort of expected to be underwhelmed by a tobacco unlikely to impress or offend.

Truth to tell, this was a very pleasant surprise. It sort of snuck up on me. The more I smoke it, the better I like it. I can find nothing negative to say about it, apart from the above-mentioned cheap sticker label. Nothing about it stands out, but the overall experience is first-rate.

Compared to other mixtures in the Dunhill line, I found it heavier in body than London Mixture, but less heavy than 965, and less sweet than either of them.

Well balanced, well behaved and delicious.

Susanna Hoffs Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Susanna Hoffs (74)

This is one of the new recently re-released tins. The reason it's only getting two stars is because the quality of tobacco was REALLY poor. It may just have been a bad tin, but there was an unacceptable amount of stem/twigs in my tin. Real floor sweepings stuff brushed up at the end of the day it was.

A quality control epic fail.......

Not that this is too bad a smoke. It's actually a steady medium English, and I do vaguely remember smoking Murray's version of this blend in early 2002, but cannot remember that much about it.

Much prefer Old Dublin, MM965, LB, EMP, Presbyterian over this.

Pipesrevisited Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipesrevisited (45)

Just opened a Murray era tin, too moist to smoke without drying a bit first.

Taste: honest tobacco, but with a slight heaviness i don't like.

I love Standard Mixture Mellow/Mild, but Medium after having tried several tins of Murray and Orlik I won't buy again.

ivycap Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ivycap (63)

I barely tasted the latakia, but this is a very well rounded English blend anyway and tastes wonderful. Nutty, complex, meaty, with a hint of spice.

Virginia lover Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Virginia lover (126)
Medium None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

EU tin. High quality Latakia mixture. The Latakia dominates but the Oriental and Virginia provide the finishing touch. This tobacco taste grows on you. Good for an all day Latakia mixture.

SirLoirn Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SirLoirn (126)
Strong None Detected Medium Tolerable

Tin: SMM is two-thirds light-brown and tan, some dark brown-black, with flecks of greyish brown. It is the standard short and long, thin ribbon cut. Maybe my perception changed, but the color spectrum seemed to change by the time the tin was finished in one week. It had changed to an even mixture of light tan, brown, and dark tobaccos. It has a very faint, difficult to detect, fruity and smoky Latakia aroma.

Packing & Lighting: It packs easily. The smoke could be hot, depending on how it is packed. The bowl was hot. SMM lit easily and stayed lit, with one relight.

Taste & Aroma: SMM is not strong or robust in taste or aroma. It is not sweet, compared to other VA-based tobacco and is no Latakia blast. Although it is an English blend, SMM is not sour or overly smoky. No one tobacco dominates. The VA's are detectable, contributing to a vaguely toasty, nutty, and smoky Latakia taste.

In the first bowl, moisture does not build up, but it does with multiple bowls. Depending on how it is packed and smoked, it might leave a small, dry dottle under a fine white-grey ash and only the slightest bit of moisture in the heel.

Nicotine: By the end of a bowl, it is moderately heady. The only aspect which might be said to make its presence known, but unwanted, is Nic O'Teen. I do not prefer, cannot handle, a heady tobacco(The original My Mixture 965 was too heady in this regard). By the time I had finished with the tin, I had come to bemoan the anticipated nicotine effect at bowl's end-like looking down a dark alley knowing Nic O'Teen lurked at the other end.

Room Note: Being not unpleasant, it has a light smell of wet hay.

Summation: It is a daily smoke, but not for all day long.

colt25314 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
colt25314 (41)
Strong None Detected Full Pleasant to Tolerable

A tue English blend in every sense of the term. What can I add other than it is another epic blend that is, sadly, no more. BAT ownes the rights to Dunhill tobaccos (cigarette & pipe). BAT has decided, so it is said, to concentrate on the cancer sticks and do nothing with the Dunhill pipe tobaccos.

Please, Please, PLEASE join me and contact British American Tobaco (BAT) and demand that they either manufacture all of Dunhill Pipe Tobaccos or sell the rights to someone who will. It is insanity to let this and other Dunhill pipe tobacco blends die out. Shame on you BAT!!!!

Thorre Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Thorre (27)

This blend will always have a special place in my heart. When I started pipe smoking, like most beginners, I began with the cheap aros. Cherry, and vanilla, and ect. I got tired of those quickly. I went into a B&M in LA and asked for a tobacco that would be rich, and taste more like real tobacco. The person working there handed me a tin of SMM. I opened the tin, and it was love at first smell. When smoked, it was even better. Very rich, and exotic. More like the cigars I was used to smoking. From this blend, I started smoking the other Dunhills, and on and on. This is, or was a great newbe English. I would love having some now.

Alguhan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Alguhan (140)

If you already have smoked a tin of MIX 965, this one will not be one of your favorites. It is not that much smooth, and not that much tasty. The latakia addition may overwhelm a bit here if you are not a fan of it. I prefer to smoke it occasionally, rare than the 965.

After all this is a classic tobacco of a very well known brand. A must try.

viscfab Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
viscfab (81)

The name describes it perfectly. A very well blended , balanced and tasty English blend. Not overpowering, very tasty and rewarding. I still preffer myMIX 965 but this is a good rotation.

Requiem Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Requiem (36)

Well... this is standard and medium, indeed. It can very well serve as a term of comparision against other english blends. It's a nice all day smoke, sturdy, maybe a little monotonous for some folks.

Top virginias in there, no cavendish, enough tasty orientals, good cyprian latakia. White/gray ashes. Don´t expect a sweet creamy smoke, neither a spicy one... just a standard medium, very well balanced, classic english :)

I like it and don´t find it boring.

(note: my tins are labelled simply as "Dunhill Standard Mixture" - no "medium" reference)

Well, this is the last of my aged Dunhill Murray-era tins. As is my custom, I smoked this with varying degrees of moisture content... moist straight out of the tin, partially dried and extremely dry. Unlike McClellands Latakia Flake, this one did best straight out of the tin. That's not surprising for a latakia blend.

There's nothing really wrong with this one... ok, it'll never be the classic that 965 is, but it obviously pleases a lot of smokers. I just prefer more body and complexity in my bowl. This one starts off ok, is ok in the middle and ends ok. I should state that that phenomenon speaks of high quality to me, but it just isn't my cup of tea. I found this one boring, and I wish I had seen the review below by the 30 year smoker of this stuff, as I would have passed on it and sent it to him. It's gotta suck to wake up one day and find your favorite tobacco no longer available. My hope is that an American distributor picks up Dunhill, as I too have a stake... but in 965 and Elizabethan.

Peter Zorg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Peter Zorg (34)

This tobacco is really one of its kind. I love it, and get back to it every once in a while. Although not an all day tobacco for me, it is one of my preferred. I would also add that comparing side by side the Orlik and the older version, I feel this Dunhill is the nearest to the original, compared to others (EMP, 965). The orientals are very present, and it is still a real English mixture. A good introduction to English tobaccos and a great classic. UPDATE: I am finishing one tin I bought recently. Orientals far in the background. Quality is really not improving with time !

BBlevins Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BBlevins (102)

My tin of this no longer produced classic is of the Murray's era and has been aging for no less than 10 years. I had purchased this tobacco with the intent of selling it but said, "Screw it. I'm going to try some." This was my first experience with this particular blend. Upon popping the tin, the pungent aroma of Latakia wafted up beyond the age stained accordion paper. The moisture level was perfect and I loaded a large meerschaum with the contents in anticipation. Lighting was easy.

The first 1/4 of the bowl was smooth and tasted of Latakia and Virginia. As the bowl progressed, the orientals begam to make itself apparent, blending with the other ingredients without making it's presence too strong. Every now and then, the sweetness of the Virginia would make itself known. The combination of flavors reminded me somewhat of Aperitif, but only a bit.

By mid bowl, the orientals became more pronounced, lending a buttery element to the flavor. The Latakia began to take a seat backstage.

From then on, the smoke remains pretty much the same and burned to a white ash with no goopiness left behind.

This blend would run second behind my favorite, Aperitif, but it's deserving of a solid three stars.

Fly ticky Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Fly ticky (26)
Medium None Detected Full Pleasant

OK alright take it easy baby make it last all night. Well maybe not that good but daddy likes.Very good english blend.From what I am reading its to be discontinued what shame.Well I better stop ranting and get back to my pipe. see ya.

Pipeline Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipeline (206)

Update: With the taste of aged, Murray's SMM fresh on my mind, I wanted to see what the Orlik version had going for it. I have not tried any Orlik production Dunhill until now.

Approximating the differences for my five year aged tin against a fresh tin, the new SMM is in the same style as the Murray SMM. The Orlik tin had brighter tobaccos by color and flavor, noticeable pieces of flakes not in the Murray version, with a heavier overall taste and a bit lighter in nicotine. I think a reasonable comparison can be made between SMM and GLP Samarra.

I think it will age well and has shown me that Orlik can make English blends without adding flavors, casing or reducing the impact of the condimental leaf. I will be happy to age the Orlik production in some quantity and look forward to trying other favorites, such as London Mixture and Elizabethan.

Original Review: My review is from a tin aged for over five years, obviously Murray-era. The tobacco was nearly uniform dark brown, grey and black with the moisture just right. Medium long ribbons were okay to pack with just a little care. Drawing on the filled, unlit pipe was a pleasure. I?m not much anymore for big pipe bowls, but this does great in larger sized bowls. It works with my favored group 3 and 4?s, too, SMM being just more subtle.

SMM lit easily, burned evenly and left the bowl mostly dry, with salt & pepper ash, heavy on the salt. This takes few relights. The aroma burning is winning. There?s just nothing like smoking aged tobacco.

As to flavor, it was round, smooth, full and impeccably balanced. The style just screams ?Traditional!? This is not a Latakia powerhouse, nor for Oriental overdose. Neither is SMM about Virginias subtly spiced with condimental tobaccos. I can taste all the ingredients without each cancelling the others out, attributes of a truly complimentary blend. There is also a lovely creaminess to the flavor and aroma.

This is little like Squadron Leader, my all-time favorite English blend. I could smoke either when in the mood for different styles without feeling slumming. Samarra might be in the same style, as well as Brebbia?s Preludio.

cecilianinnc Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
cecilianinnc (9)
Medium None Detected Extremely Mild (Flat) Tolerable

This was really bland. I didn't get any flavor at all. It smelled like shoe polish in the tin, and tasted like I would imagine shoe polish would taste. I've tried other english blends like this, and comparatively, this was just weak. Not at all what I was looking for.

BriarChef Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BriarChef (100)

Not a wimpy mixture by any means, but in my opinion a bit of a lightweight. The individual ingredients seem to be off balance to my palate, but this may change with some age, especially the Latakia-Virginia interplay.

The tobacco quality is very high and it is blended with care. While it doesn't push my buttons, I can easily see why it has legions of fans. It is good tobacco and I would recommend to anyone looking for that easy smoking lighter English mixture

pipinNfishin Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pipinNfishin (21)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Strong

Update (5/4/08): Dunhill's Standard Mixture Medium is currently available, but the distribution is spotty. I cannot obtain tin's consistently through my brick and mortar locations.

Dunhill's Standard Mixture Medium was and is currently my standard English blend. Sadly, this blend has been discontinued. The availability of this blend is infinite.

I find the blending of the tobacco is balanced. None the various tobaccos in the blend dominate the flavor. SMM is smooth and full on the tongue. However, it still must be smoked slowly. I have on occasions, smoked to fast. The result was slight tongue burn. Don't the let the smoothness, allow you get carried away.

This is not a latakia, virginia, or oriental dominated blend. They're all in balance. That reason made it my everyday english blend. Since Dunhill stopped producing this blend, I sadly savor the remaining tin stash. There are tins available, but when that supply is exhausted. Standard Mixture Medium will be just in our memory.

Jeremy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jeremy (19)

I just tried this blend for the first time - I am happily puffing away as I write this. I am unsure whether the tin I just purchased is pre-Orlik or not. I hope not.

SMM smokes pretty cool, with very little bite. It has a moderate nicotine kick which is much appreciated. The taste is all natural, with a very well balanced mix of tobaccos (to my novice palate). It has a rich taste that is deep enough to keep me interested without becoming obnoxious or overbearing, and this could easily become my all-day choice if it continues to smoke this well throughout the tin. It stays lit easily and is burning down to a fine ash.

Summary: While not as tasty as Early Morning Pipe for example, it is perfectly behaved, well balanced, smokes easily and does not become noxious towards the end of the bowl. It has adequate kick without making me high on nicotine. Sure to be one of my main blends.

metalbone Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
metalbone (4)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant

When I open the humidor, my hand seems to gravitate towards the tin of standard mixture. I will keep a small stock around.

Mike Castello Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mike Castello (49)
Medium None Detected Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

This is the Orlik Standard Mixture. It's a medium strength English mixture with a mild flavor and is an all day smoke. It's got a nice taste to it and the cut is a fine ribbon. Moisture level is fine, not too damp like many blends. It packs easily and lights without any difficulty. The flavor improves as you smoke down to the middle of the bowl. At the start it is overly reluctant. By the bottom of the bowl it is a bit sour. Over all it is a decent blend and I would not hesitate to give it a passing grade, but not a recommendation because the competition is too stiff. Stick with your faves and try this one out of curiosity. You might put it on your list of blends to buy. You can take mine I'll stay with the ones that brought me to the dance.

Stacey Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Stacey (40)

Well, this review is hard to write. The tobacco is completely different than the others I've smoked. I suspect this must have a lot more Turkish in it than other blends I've tried. This lights and burns pretty easily. Every time I've reviewed on here I always thought the word "Full" was a curious rating for a tobacco, because I just never thought of any other tobacco in that way. This is the first. The word definitely comes to mind when smoking this one and for some reason fits my pre-conception of what an English blend ought to taste like perfectly. I really like the way it tastes consistently strong withhout having to concentrate much or puff like mad. My wife complained about the smell, but hey, she has to get over it because the garage is my domain!

Fumatore Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Fumatore (48)

In my opinion this is one of the few Dunhill tobaccos that might approach the original in the transition from Murray to Orlik. I only wish I could say the same for 965, and the other wonderful Dunhill blends. I smoked quite a bit of this when it was blended by Murray and found it excellent. My latest smoked tin was 2 years old, but it was indeed from Orlik as it was stamped made in the EU. It wasn't awful.

This was always an all day smoke for me and I found it perfectly balanced with just the right strength and complexity. What I have always loved and appreciated in this blend is that one doesn't get an overload of oriental leaf, which is so common in many English blends. In regards to the quality of leaf and smoking characteristics SMM reminded me of 965.

The previous reviewer says SMM is discontinued, but I am unable to confirm that statement, and I hope not. I do however see that Standard Mixture Mild has indeed been discontinued.

Matches Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Matches (19)
Mild Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

This is a very mild version of some of my favorite latakia blends...Penzance or My Mixture 965. It is a pleasant change for me to have a latakia blend without it being overpowering. I found this relaxing and enjoyable.

Holy Smoke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Holy Smoke (26)

The Following review is based on a twenty-year-old tin.

Upon opening the tin I was confronted with bone-dry tobacco, which luckily had not turned to dust. After a light spray of distilled water (Lourdes water was the closest thing to hand) and a few hours resting a sanitised Irish Flake tin, it was ready to smoke.

First lighting: Very nice. I'm not a huge latakia fan but this was very soft on the tongue and drew me away from the real world with the velvety character of the rest of the smoke.

Second lighting: Wow, there was a huge explosion of taste. A sweet nutty tone ran to the front, the latakia seemed to split into two distinct streams and salty earthy hand slapped me in the face. It was near indescribable (that's the best I can manage to conjure the joy of this smoke. In short the firmaments of the room strained and the seraphs sang out, as the house was filled with smoke [Isaiah 6 in tobacco form!]).

Sheer and utter bliss. This tobacco is exceptional when it reaches its twenties. I shall be going out and buying a crate of the stuff at the weekend and hope that I live long enough to enjoy it at its best.

Medium to Strong None Detected Full Tolerable to Strong

I did not like this mixture very much, but i think it is a nice tin of tobacco. It packed and burned well; nice volume of smoke too. Personally I like just less dominance of the latakia so this was not really for me. If you like the Latakia then you will like this.

Big bad Jon Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Big bad Jon (232)

This tobacco has a very nice smoky tin note. It packs a bit tight if you are not careful, but if you resist the urge to ram a lot in a surprise awaits you. The smoky flavor is tremendous and it is well balanced with the other tobaccos that make an English tobacco my variety of choice. It is not as complex as some but really shines in the category of all day smoke. I think that it might be better suited for a winter or fall smoke but it can be enjoyed in warmer months too. Definitely one that I would try if your shop has a tin laying around.

drdave Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
drdave (9)
Medium None Detected Medium Very Pleasant

After a long hiatus of not smoking my pipes (Frank Sinatra singing "What kind of fool am I?" in the background), I decided to blow the cobwebs out of the briars and visit some old friends. Standard Mixture Medium is one of those old friends and the tin aroma is, to my big old nose, dominated by the toasted Virginias with a slight smokiness. The appearence in the tin is Dunhill's typical tangle for their English mixtures - more interesting than a Jackson Pollock painting. As others have noted, the taste is consistent thoughout the bowl, but that taste is NOT 1-dimensional; but delicately sweet, nutty, slightly spicy and smoky. If smoked too fast, which I shamefully confess I sometimes am guilty of, it can get a little "ashy" tasting, but it never bites. It leaves the bowl dry and clean with a gray ash and no dottle. A very refined and elegant smoke, wonderful any time of the day, in any size pipe. Aaahh sweet reveries!

Pipey Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipey (17)

I have been smoking this as whilst in Europe, as I cant find any Dorisco Mixture!!! But, this is a surprisingly delicious and balanced tobacco, very similar IMO to Dorisco.

Spicy latakia, smooth VA, a hint of perique and tasty, complex orientals.

I instantly brought 5 tins.

4 out of 5 - my favorite dunhill yet.

Unfortunately this isnt available in Germany, and I have to get it from Holland. They certainly miss out by not having the best standard mixture on the shelves in Ger.

Puff Daddy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Puff Daddy (43)
Medium None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

To me, one of the quintessential English blends. Not as full, not as complex as some, but a really good all-day English. One of the things that I try and determine with each blend is, has it achieved what the blenders purposed with it? And in this case, I believe they have. I own tins of this from the Murray years, going back to 1996. I even have some unopened from the Dunhill days, 18 years old. I also keep the newer Orlick tins in rotation. No, they aren't the same, and while one could argue the merits of each for days, it's a moot point. We have what we have today. With a few years of age on this current blending, it will be decidedly better then than it is at present. But still, it's pretty darn good. I call this one of the monochromatic English blends...again, it's not complex. It doesn't evolve in layers, like Odyssey, Raven's Wing, or to a lesser degree, Penzance. But, it does what it's meant to do, and that is to give an extremely consistent taste right through from beginning to end. As with most Dunhill products, the moisture content of even a newly opened tin is just about perfect. It packs better than many, holds a smolder beautifully, and delivers. For yielding exactly what it is meant to, I give this 4 stars. I always seem to feel the need to enjoy this with one of several Dunhill pipes dedicated to English blends. Two are Group 4, one is a Group 5, and they all perform together equally well with Standard Mixture Medium. Great stuff. It's one of the very few blends that I could honestly say would be high on the list, if I was only allowed one for the rest of my life.

Medium None Detected Medium Tolerable to Strong

This is a good, standard English blend. I would recommend this to any smoker who's looking for a stronger alternative to EMP, or to a less intense version of Night Cap.

This is a very smooth smoke that stays cool and even. It burns all the way down to ash and doesn't require much babying along the way...just relax and puff at your own leisure.

For those who must consider the noses of others, the room note can be a tad offensive to some. I would say that if anyone's spouse, room-mate, or others in close proximity are annoyed by light Englishes (EMP, for example), this one won't fair much better. It smells less "flat and stale" than EMP, but is stronger overall.

Concerning the taste, its a good one. The oriental & latakia leaves come through more strongly in this one than in EMP, but still yields to the lighter flavors more readily than Night-Cap. My only qualm with this tin is that the flavors remain quite consistent. While I prefer that quality to be present in an aromatic, I personally prefer to have non-aromatics change up as the bowl progresses to keep the palate amused. This one stayed the same from first light 'til I emptied the bowl.

Aside from its lack of complexity, this is a great middle-of-the-road English that serves its purpose very well. I will keep in hand as a good "go to" tobacco when I can't figure out what I feel like smoking.

TerryJ Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TerryJ (7)

I try to squeeze a bowl of this into my schedule every day. I like it a great deal. I find that it packs and burns very well and stays consistent throughout the bowl. I am a fairly dedicated English smoker, and I really enjoy the levels of Latakia in this smoke.

I find that I never seem to tire of it and it never seems overpowering to me. If I HAD to I could use this as my only smoke. It's very pleasant and satisfying in all regards.

Philo Beddoe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Philo Beddoe (140)

I do not know why it has taken me so long to review this blend, as it is accepted as the middle of the English tobacco spectrum. After half a bowl I had already decided to keep this in my permanent rotation, and it will remove several tobaccos that have lingered in my 'no more surprises, basic English niche' for several years.

I enjoyed the Latakia, the Orientals and the base Virginia tobaccos, but the whole, is surely greater than the sum of it's parts. London Mixture, 965, Nightcap and now Stanard Mixture Medium are staples in my cabinet, and I do not see this changing in the forseeable future. Most highly recommended to all.

Pkloop Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pkloop (41)

I wish to start off this review by noting the tin I'm smoking is from the Murray era probably circa late 90's.

I opened this tin to discover what appears to be a fairly dark blend with some lighter pieces scattered about. It has a wonderfull full tobacco smell very similar to 965/EMP..

Packing: Packing was fairly easy as the ribbon cut complied well with my usual 3 step method. The leaf took to the charing light well and we were on our way!

Smoking: What I found as I worked my way through the bowl was an exceptionally well balanced English with each of the components popping up from time to time. VA sweetness , then the orientals, then the slightest hint of the Latakia. This smokes very..very..smooth. Yummy! Requiring few re-lights this one was just a pleasure to burn.

Finish: In true Dunhill style this finishes absolutely perfect. Never bitter..never ashy.. Smokes down to a fine grey ash.

I have read many compare this to 965. This is..imo..much more MILD then 965. Now that may well be due to the age of this tin. The VA's have had plenty of time to mellow and the blend as a whole has just plain had more time to mesh togther..smooth itself out. This blend also lacks the creaminess of 965 which may be due to the fact this blend lacks the cavendish.

By my tastes this may well be the perfect English for those that find 965 too heavy. An excellent all day blend sure to please all but the most demanding smokers..Enjoy this classic!

wolf Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
wolf (5)

The Murrays version of this is one of the finest tobaccos ever made. A rich , wonderful English blend, the gold standard for English blends. The new Orlick version is passable. certainly not as good as the Murray's. If they can improve it they may equal the Murrays. Now the Murray was different than the original Dunhill, pre 1990, if memory serves, but excellent but different. The Orlick I can not rate as excellent, decent, passable yes, but it lacks something, What I am not sure. Strength for sure, smoothness is lacking and a gentle roundedness of taste. and while it certainly is closer to the original than the Orlick Early Morning, it still has a noticable Danish taste. I don't know what the Danes do to tobacco but they have a process or flavoring they add that gives their blends a definitive Danish taste, that I don't like. Others may. Perhaps it is the fact that most Danes & Germans smoke 9mm filter pipes, and the filter evens out the peculiar Danish taste. But in my non filter pipes I would not waste my money. I'll guard my stock or old Dunhill and Murrays/Dunhill.

Merple Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Merple (15)

Classic English blend - met expectations and a good bold smoke for me. A little harsh for me though at times and room tones are not the best. Feels like a cigarette sometimes and too sharp, although a good pick you up and gets the brain going.

Not racing to keep it in the stable but certainly will keep it on my smokers choice list for a good while.

Guyrox Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Guyrox (131)

This will be my shortest, but hopefully most meaningful, review of a Dunhill mixture.

All I can say about Standard Mixture Medium is:

ATTA BOY, DUNHILL!!!!

Pipepundit Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipepundit (168)

I have a sneaking suspicion that if the name of this mixture had been more adventurously chosen - Nabob`s Mixture? - it would have got a better press. This is a magnificent all day mixture, and never fails to delight. The balance between the Virginias, Orientals and Latakia is almost perfect. This is the theme on which EMP, 759, Nightcap, Durbar etc are variations.

Over a period of time my taste buds have come to prefer Black Mallory to the Standard Mixtures and Red Rapparee to Durbar, but pipe smoking experience would be incomplete wthout the Standard Mixtures.

mel51us Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mel51us (47)

08/02/2006 Standard Mixture Medium is my second foray into Dunhill blends. HAving tried and liked My Mixture 965, I decided to try S.M.M. I'm glad I did. I like virginia, oriental,latakia blends, and this was no disappointment. A mixture of dark and light tobacco, this was at the right moisture level straight from the tin. S.M.M. packs well, lights easily, and burns cool and clean. No one tobacco dominated this blend, but all melded together in a well orchestrated flavor sensation. When finished, I was rewarded with a clean dry pipe. I think S.M.M. would be too strong for the new smoker or for the aromatic lover, but makes a good all day smoke for a seasoned pipester who enjoys English blends.

08/11/2006 The more of this I smoke, the more I find myself reaching for it. I am upgrading this from 3 to 4 stars.

raadman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
raadman (31)
Medium None Detected Medium Strong

Harsher version of EMP... Room note: Canned divorce

Butz-Choquin Canadian

zulujerk Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
zulujerk (134)

The tin I bought at a local smoke shop was so old, the clerk refused to sell it to me. And after a little coersion, I got the expected line "You can't return this! We are not liable!"

That's okay, I reassured him, and walked out of the store with a Murray's version pushing five years, by my estimate.

And on to the tobacco...

I have yet to be disappointed with a Dunhill blend, even those originating from the Orlik people. This is exactly what it claims to be, a medium English. Lots of taste, but a tad light in the strength department, for my preference.

With all the talk here of Orlik deep sixing some classic Dunhill blends, I'd act fast. Stock up! Those Danes have some nerve.

Three of Four.

calavera Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
calavera (26)

Update 4/5/06: Now that I have smoked more blends, I find that this is not that memorable. Downgrade to 2 stars.

My first impression of this blend was that it was rather undistinguished. I have since smoked several bowls in everything from a GBD Sir Jeffrey to a Dunhill Tanshell and I now think that I rather like this blend.

It is not an in your face powerhouse and it is not really unique in taste. It is solid, however with a nice base of latakia and some sweetness from the virginias and orientals.

I like to smoke it while walking in the park or reading or doing something that does not allow me to concentrate completely on the pipe. It is pleasant and lets me know that it is there, but is not too strong or overbearing.

I seems to be kind of hard to keep lit sometimes. I have not dried it out all that much yet, however, so that may be the problem.

jackhackett Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jackhackett (76)

This must be one of those templates against which other blends are measured. Some golden ratio of components has been reached here. More English than English if that's possible, like sitting on the steps of the British Museum on a June day. Quite decent and tasty stuff.

Probably the best commercial Dunhill nowadays with Durbar and EMP; it has worsened too, but it's still the touchstone to judge the english mixtures. Notably sweeter than the other Dunhill blends, due to the higher percentage of the Virginias, it's still highly balanced and all-day smokable. Like the other robaccos from the brand, it's something you might want to have always at home, because you know you can rely on that.

Phantom55 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Phantom55 (29)

This, along with London Mixture are classic Dunhill English blends. Will not elaborate on smoking qualities, as that has been done very well above. Just wanted to re-emphasize as the first reviewer said, that this blend benefits greatly from a dedicated pipe. Started with one, and now have several dedicated to it. The tobacco just keeps improving, developing a slight sweet taste.

Paddy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Paddy (125)

Because I smoke so many different tobaccos, I could only say that I smoke this tobacco on occasion. But if I had to narrow my latakia English/Balkan blends down to a few, this would be one of them. For me the great attribute of this blend is how well the toasty Virginias play a role in the taste. The orientals complement the flavor while the latakia adds the perfect degree of smokiness. Not much more to be said. A beautiful smoke for the Balkan blend lover who is partial to Virginias and wants that toasty flavor. Most highly recommended. Paddy.

Tiger Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tiger (53)

Standard Mixture Medium has been my most-smoked "regular" for ages. For at least 5 years I didn't smoke anything else unless I was accidentally away from my supply - and that wasn't allowed to happen many times. It tastes great, behaves well, doesn't knock over too many bystanders, is of good quality and smoothness, and is simply a delicious, reliable smoke. Of late, it has been replaced as my Numero Uno Favorite by Bufflehead's "Pintail" which, to me, tastes and behaves much better, is of equal or better quality, and is substantially less expensive. But SMM still has its' Well-Deserved place on my shelf, and likely always will - so three gladly awarded stars for SMM from Der Tigre.

Tiger

FiveRings Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
FiveRings (21)

The most appropriate word in my opinion to describe the mix is balance . Everything stays within a zone without extremes . The smokey Latakia alternate gracefully the first seat with the sweet VA's , but none of them goes to the extremes . The pleasure curve goes quite high but not higher . Very good , but not great .

Ian Weeks Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ian Weeks (36)

Dunhill makes more of its magical ambrosia with this blend. The hint of latakia is perfect, I've smoked it in many types of briar and meerschaum and unless overpuffed it offers a cool dry smoke. I have yet to smoke a Dunhill blend and not enjot it and though I would not lable this brand the holy grail I do smoke this weed at least twice a week. A staple for all pipe smokers weekly rotation. iannweeks@msn.com

Medium None Detected Medium Tolerable to Strong

As you can read from my reviews of London Mixture and My Mixture 965, I am definitely a fan of English blends, especially Dunhill. This is another fine tobacco from the glorious English brand, one that can sit proudly near the aforementioned two. Part of the considerations expressed in those reviews remain valid for this tobacco, too: the fine cut, the burning qualities, the fine choice of leaves, the extremely good balancing. Where do the differences lie? To my palate, the difference is mainly in the reduced latakia content of Standard Medium, replaced by a heavier dose of reddish-brown Virginia. The result is a blend that has a noticeably lighter "smokiness", and which is definitely sweeter and spicier due to the orientals. Its taste (while not stunning) remains constant and doesn't get bad at the end of the bowl. I like it as a change of pace from Latakia-heavy blends, but perhaps at times this sweetness doen't suit me. I also notice that it tends to bite the tongue a bit more than London or 965. On the bonus side, it might be a little more plesant to non-smokers around you. Not in my top-favorite tobaccos, but still a high quality choice!

Sadly, this blend too, like the other Dunhills, has seen a decline in quality over the past two years... Actually, it's now better than Nightcap and 965, which once were superior!!!

2011 update: I am smoking a recent production tin by Orlik now... Well, not bad! It's just what the name says: a STANDARD. Sweet thick Virginia base, plus Latakia and Orientals. No surprises, no thrills of delight, but a solid companion that could be considered an "all days" for those more inclined to stouter blends. It doesn't disappoint. A timeless classic, although there are many more exciting blends around and London Mixture is more refined.

Medium None Detected Medium Tolerable to Strong

Another truth in advertising coup for Duhill! This is a text book English blend. It is well balanced and satisfying, without being overwhelming. If you are not a fan of Latakia, it won't be your cup of tea. If you are a fan, this is a solid blend.

pocket Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pocket (27)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant

As for 965 I always have this tobacco in my kabinet. I find it stronger than 965 but not much stronger. It leaves only grey ashes in the bowl and does not bite at all. I like this for a first smoke in the morning. This and 965 are sadly the only Dunhills that are availlable in Holland.

Ivanhoe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ivanhoe (35)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Tolerable

Like all the Dunhill tobaccos, this one has the appearance of quality. The cut is uniform and the appearance of the tobaccos in the blend is attractive. It lights easily and stays lit pretty well. It tastes like latakia in a particularly ashy way.

I have two problems with Std Mix Medium: First, the flavor is so middle-of-the road that I find it boring. About two-thirds of the way through a bowl of this, the relatively high nicotine content is felt and I start to wonder why I should keep going to the end. I notice no change in the taste from start to finish. The second problem is the aftertaste. Its ashy taste would be OK by itself, but the strong, ashy aftertaste lingers for the rest of the day. I usually brush my teeth about a half-hour after finishing a bowl of this because I want to get rid of the aftertaste and fuzzy SMM residue on my mouth and tongue.

Diehard latakia fans may enjoy this. I'll find my latakia elsewhere.

DeltaSnake Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DeltaSnake (31)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium Tolerable

I used to buy this one when the store was out of my favorites or whatever English I was in the mood for. Calling it a standard mixture doesn't do it justice though, it's much more, and better than other blends such as Aperitiff in terms of being a mild English. I tend to get 965 if both on are the same shelf, but if it isn't, this one does just fine. Any lack of excitement disappears once the smoke starts and that wonderful aroma comes out. A nice blend.

Mr. Dottle Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mr. Dottle (162)

I do not have the time to describe the attributes of this tobacco in detail as others do. However, as I do wish to contribute some feedback, I will simply rate this tobacco on a scale of 1 ?10, including tenths.

Unlike any other tobacco I have smoked, this one, for whatever it contains, irritated and tickled my nasal passages. For this reason alone, I rate this tobacco 5.0 out of 10.

Carlos Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Carlos (18)
Medium None Detected Full Tolerable to Strong

I like it very much, typical tobacco with Latakia.

chaplikc Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
chaplikc (135)

This to me is exactly as the tin and name states a standard medium english blend. It is a cool, easy smoke which does not take alot of attention to get it into the zone and is quite friendly. This is a great english blend to smoke when you are reading a book or studying in that it does not take alot of effort or concentration to get good flavor. To me this would be a good blend for some people who would like to try english blends and are not experienced with them. I have tried many english blends and still very much enjoy this.

ruffinogold Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ruffinogold (82)

The name says it all.Its a classic med. english blend.It wont have your head swimming in nicotine [although thats fun at times] and the flavor isnt off the deep end in latakia.You can find it all over.A classic ! Man I wish I could still get this blend . It's been my fav . english blend for years .

WxGuy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
WxGuy (95)
Medium None Detected Medium Tolerable to Strong

Standard Mixture Medium is yet another in a series of Dunhull English blends. There is no question that Dunhill makes some of the best English blends- something for every taste. This happens to not be one of my favorites.

The Virginias take the reins on this blend and yield grudgingly to the more exotic ingredients. I keep waiting for the more exotic elements to come to the front of the class as the bowl wears on, but this never happens. OK, it gets a bit more latakia-ish towards the end, but not enough to satisfy. It seems to smoke a little hot for a Dunhill English as well.

Good for those that do not want an in-your-face latakia experience, but not so great for this pipester.

Bluebottle Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bluebottle (18)
Medium to Strong None Detected Overwhelming Overwhelming

There is an unbelievable smell upon opening the tin, an awful cloying stench. It seemed to me that the tobacco was musty or rotten or both! It's quite an annoying aroma, nearly a sweet nuttiness, but clinging to the nostrils and not nice at all. Packs very easily, testament to its quality. Burns very well, again a sign of the Dunhill standard, a very cool smooth smoke produced, excellent for blowing rings!

If it weren't for the vexing taste and aroma of the damn Latakis which remains aloof and vague, like a spoilt child refusing to play in the intricate and pleasant game played by the other tobacco types, this would be a 10/10 smoke. As it was, I could not finish the tin.

A dissappointing forray into the world of Latakia based tobacco.

omegapd Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
omegapd (81)
Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Another in a long line of good Dunhill English blends, but not one that I would reach for constantly. I'd have to go with 965, Nightcap and Durbar as better blends than this one. I've had an open tin of this laying around for years and enjoy it much more since it's dried out. I'm not a fan of heavy Virginia/Latakia mixtures because they're too sweet for me, but the Virginias used in here are just right. The burn is as good as can be and leaves no dottle. Like some other reviewers, I did notice a slightly harsh taste on re-lights, but this faded after a second or two. I never did it, but I don't think this would DGT well. Overall, it is what it claims- a typical Standard English blend, Medium in strength and flavor. Not bad...

JClark Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JClark (26)
Medium None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

As I have said in several other reviews, I am an english fancier. This means that I enjoy rich robust latakia. That said, I will probably get hung at the stake for this but I really don't see what is supposed to be special about Dunhill english blends. If I am being honest they are all the same to me. London Mixture, Standard, 965 they are all basically the same. I prefer 965 above all and for a while it was even my standby. But in all honesty I just don't particularly care for Dunhill with the exception of Light Flake. I find Standard Medium to be uneventful and at times even a tad harsh. The bottom line is that there are hundreds of great englishes out their that are 10 times better than the Dunhill line. But then again this is just my humble opinion and maybe this is just my particular pallate.

Medium None Detected Medium Tolerable to Strong

Nightcap light! This blend has a bit more sweetness from the virginias, but sacrifices taste in all the other spectrums. I think it would be a good alternative for those who wish that nightcap was a little lighter so they could smoke it all day. Alas, I would rather just smoke nightcap less frequently and not sacrifice the taste.

howie Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
howie (46)
Medium to Strong None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable to Strong

My first reaction to this tobacco was that it was a bit on the funky side with little flavor. As the tin aired, it brought some nice exotic flavor from the orientals, and lastly some high levels of sweetness during the early part of the bowl. The blend has good burning characteristics throughout, and a nice complexity that changes through the course of the bowl starting sweet, tangy and exotic, the character moderates to a deeper and fuller character as the bowl continues.

The blend took a longer than typical time to settle once opened to the air, perhaps due to the lack of aging; it might have had as little as a year on the shelf between shop life and a short period in my cellar. Three months of airing brought important and pleasant changes from the first opening. There is a fairly strong and disagreeable room note that should be taken into consideration when choosing a location to smoke this blend.

Update November 2002: I just smoked a bowl out of a tin c. 1985 that I just opened, so it was approximately 17 years old. Tobacco was encrusted with crystals and the tin nose was deep, smoky, and musty. This loaded nicely in a largish pot, despite being somewhat dry out of the tin. This was much improved by the aging vs. what I experienced in the newer blend and I can understand why premium prices are associated with aged tins. The tobacco was smooth, smoky, nutty, and musty with little sweetness. Toward the bottom of the bowl, a red Virginia character arose. The disagreeable room note was gone in the older tin. Nicotine strength was reduced from strong to medium. The marriage of these tobaccos warrants the aging and I look forward to additional bowls from this tin. Much improved and wonderful. This seems to suggest that setting aside this tobacco to age is well worth the wait and rewards the patience.

Overall: Interesting, flavorful, but not exceptional in younger tins. Highly recommended with age on the tin. Now time to see if a three-five year time frame does any good for this blend.

October, 2002. Updated November 2002.

Medium None Detected Medium Tolerable to Strong

A friend of mine swore this was the ultimate tobacco. Accordingly, every time he would come back from trips either to Europe or the States, he would bring back as many tins as possible and would be kind enough to share some of them with me. Having been already acquainted with other Latakia/Oriental mixtures, all unobtainable in my country, I joined in the enthusiasm.

SMMe is definitely a very good and reliable blend, with a traditional but rather uneventful taste and aroma that, nonetheless, fulfil the requirements of any English blend lover. IMO, of the different Latakia/Oriental/Virginia mixtures, SMMe is more of a working or auto-pilot tobacco than a contemplative, meditative smoke. It has a straight forward aroma, very unambiguous components, and a clear cut English flavour that, combined with its excellent burning rate, provide a satisfying but no so spectacular experience. If smoked too frequently it can reach a point of harshness unknown to me in other Dunhill Latakia blends (My Mixture 965 or London Mixture). It is a cool smoke, good at practically any time of day, but would not recommend it when in hot/humid weather.

The quality of this blend is unmistakeable. Its structure and smoking evolution are quite predictable, and the flavour and burning rate remain consistent throughout the bowl. While comparisons are not always advisable, I find there is a certain degree of correspondence between SMMe and Gawith?s Squadron Leader. Both are solid, traditional, and very English in a that standard sort of way in which G. Orwell defines Englishness.

tillmanj Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tillmanj (73)
Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Tin Aroma: In my aged sample, the Virginia (East Carolina & Georgian) dominated, providing a mostly sweet tin aroma, though the musky Latakia and the slightly sour, musky Orientals could be readily detected. In the fresh tins I have smoked, the Latakia dominates, making this a, as the name states, standard english blend.

Physical Characteristics: A smallish, almost wispy ribbon cut of mostly dark tobaccos. Packs easily, like almost all Dunhill blends, due to the smaller size of the ribbon cut, and burns evenly all the way to the bottom. Can be a bit soggy towards the bottom, but this is minor. Leaves a soft, fluffy, grey and white mottled ash.

Notes: One tin of this I have smoked was aged one year before opening, so my impressions are likely to vary a bit from other reviews of 'fresh' tins. I found this blend to be a chameleon in the tobacco cellar, changing subtly from a standard english mixture to a more Virginia heavy misture as it aged. Both young and old tins were pleasant and enjoyable examples of Dunhill's blending. The behavior of the virginias in my aged tins go to show the high quality of the tobaccos Dunhill puts into this blend. Without a high quality Virginia, I would have expected this blend to get a bit more sour and musky with a years age on it, as has been my experience with many other Latakia/Oriental blends I have aged, but the sea-change it has undergone leaves me with a deep appreciation for the blenders art. I can only hope to lay down a few more tins of it, and compare them with what I already know, perhaps at 2, 3, 4 and 5 years age.

Verdict: I enjoy this blend both new and aged, and for different reasons. The newer tins make an excellent, top notch all-day smoke for the latakia lover. I can only really describe it by analogy; Standard Mixture Medium is to My Mixture 965 as Blackjack is to Baccarat; more refined, more complex. Aged, the Virginias, as I have said, dominate, giving this blend an interesting punch not often found in english blends. Definately a keeper.

Very similar to 965 rather than Standard Mild in my opinion. I did not like the blending of the various types of tobaccos in this one. Too much virginia and not enough of whatever it is that makes 965 so smooth. The latakia is more evident to me in this blend than 965.

If you want a smokey flavor lingering in your mouth for hours after you finish a bowl, grab a tin of this stuff. If you are a veteran of latakia blends, then you know how to rate the better ones following your bowlful. There will be a very refined and smooth smokey flavor that lingers delightfully. Standard Mixture Medium though, leaves a taste more akin to what I imagine charcoal would taste like!

From checking out all of the reviews of this blend, it is obviously one of those love it or hate it types. Further testament to how the real gentlemen in our hobby understand the vast taste differences we have!

Eulenburg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Eulenburg (193)

The deliciously smoky taste of the finest Syrian Latakia pervades this fine blend, another of Dunhill's great age-old classics. (Yes! Latakia blends taste like Latakia, ie: smoky. Outrageous, isn't it?)

This is slightly less robust than the LONDON mixture, but still an official Dunhill example of what an English mixture with Latakia ought to be. It occupies the middle ground between NIGHTCAP and LONDON at the heavier end of the English spectrum and, in declining order of strength, STANDARD MIXTURE MILD and EARLY MORNING PIPE at the lighter end.

965, which has Cavendish leaf in it and is therefore a so-called "Scottish" blend, or the clearly Balkanic DURBAR and APPERITIF, cannot be logically compared to this line of "London"-type, Latakia-dominated English blends.

STANDARD is precisely that. People who do not care for English-style blends need not apply.

CJ Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CJ (45)

Recently, I decided to revisit some of the Dunhill Brands. I have not smoked any in years, and I don't know why. Lately, I have been smoking powerful, potent level 10 strength blends, so I was unable to even taste this Dunhill Mixture on my first try. I needed to cleanse my palette. As in wine tasting, one must work up from mild to strong, so for a few days, I made this blend my only English mixture, and only smoked a few mild Virginias for a change of pace. With that in mind, by day three, this hit the zone, and it is a remarkable blend.

There is nothing outstanding about Standard Mixture except its quality, perfection, and consistent taste and aroma. On opening a tin, I am immediately greeted by its wonderful pungent aroma. I think I could pick out this blend in a blind test just from the tin aroma. The appearance in the tin is something that I have not seen in a long time. It looks like a work of art. The perfect blend of bright, medium, and dark ribbons is just beautiful to look at. It is as if someone spent a good part of the day hand placing each individual piece of the quality components. It is difficult to take out a pinch and upset this image.

It has respectable age. It has perfect moisture content for most, but I have learned to smoke a bit on the dry side, so I let my pinch dry out for a whole five minutes and then it is ready. It packs easy, lights up with one or two matches, and quickly turns into a mild, soft, yet pleasant mahogany, creamy taste. It is not the type of blend one turns to for concentrating on the pipe with your favorite libation and music or book. Every puff has the same taste in almost every pipe that I own. Some may find the consistent taste as boring, but that is part of its perfection. Tin after tin, one can count on it always being the same. For me, this now falls into the category of an all day blend. I can puff away while concentrating on other activities and still enjoy it. It is mild enough to smoke bowl after bowl. yet, here is enough flavor to remind you that you are smoking a good tobacco without having to concentrate on the smoke. The nicotine component is mild to medium, and it has a decent zing if blown out the nose. It does not bite for me. The only negative is that there is a brief sour taste for the first puff or two after a relight. Standard is the perfect name for this mixture. It is the standard to use when comparing English mixtures. Surprising, at this time, the Dunhill Blends are some of the least expensive tins being offered. I think all should try it at least once.

Cooksmoke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Cooksmoke (29)

It is with heavy heart that I write this review. As a lifelond devotee of tobacco, I have long recognized Dunhill as a benchmark in the industry, whether it be pipes, tobaccos or cigars.

I came to this mixture full of anticipation. I had read the reviews, studied the tobaccos and was ready for a treat. What I got instead was tongue trauma.

The tobacco looks and smells delightful in its ribbon cut. It packed well and took to the match with little difficulty.

I found though, that often at the very begining, (and always by halfway) of the bowl I started to get an awful taste and burn on my tongue. I am a usualy Virginia smoker so I know to go low and slow. I tried different pipes and levels of packing pressure. Nothing worked.

I know that it is undoubtably myself who is the oddball here and not the tobacco. I suspect it is the Turkish which is my nemesis. Despite that I can only recommend this to the heartiest of English smokers.

Haiku Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Haiku (5)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Pleasant to Tolerable

The smell of the "raw" tobacco is strong latakia. It tells you that this is going to be a full and tasty smoke. The humidity level is just right, it doesn't need any drying. It is easy to pack and light up.

First few puffs feel a bit strong, but it settles down quickly. The aroma is just wonderful, you can really enjoy the smell of burning tobacco . Halfway and the taste is bit smoother... excellent! Also the aroma is still there. I can say that this tobacco can be enjoyed two ways: taste and smell (I can't say how my wife would like the smell, but it doesn't matter here in the balcony.) Towards the end taste stays full, latakia mostly, but the aroma starts to fade away. This mixture leaves a pleasant after taste and a crave for more...

This could be a good smoke for outdoors on a autumn evenings after a good dinner. (I can't specifye it more accurately.) Medium Mixture provides a great smoke for latakia lovers and I dare to recommend this one highly to all pipers.

Blake Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Blake (6)
Medium None Detected Medium to Full Strong

Another solid Latakia based English from Dunhill. This, along with Early Morning Pipe, Nightcap and 965 is what I think of when I think Latakia.

In the tin it is about equal mixed light and dark Orientals, although possibly heavier on the dark. a very fine ribbon cut as all the Dunhill blends I've tried. Very heavy on Latakia aroma.

It packs very easily. And lights and smokes great. My only complaint with this is it is a bit harsher on my throat than EMP and Nightcap. That alone keeps it out of my regular rotation. I see no reason to irritate my throat when there are other great and similar blends to choose from.

Paul Tatum Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Paul Tatum (86)
Medium None Detected Full Tolerable to Strong

As the name suggests , this is a standard blend for me . When I want to smoke and don't particularly want to brood over nuance , but just want a good smoking latakia blend I reach for this . It's good enough to be an every day smoker , average enough not to get tiresome , and blended well enough to keep the palate satisfied .If I had to choose only one tobacco for the rest of my life it would be this , not because it is special , but because it satisfies all the common denominators of my smoking needs .

trevert Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
trevert (32)
Very Strong None Detected Extra Full Extra Strong

The perfect English blend for me! Standard is a dark blend, with a good amount of latakia and oriental leaves cut fairly fine. It may well be the delicacy of the cut that I like as much as anything, since it gives a very smooth and consistent burn for me. It sometimes has a tendency to turn a bit soggy toward the bottom, but overall it provides excellent, and very, very consistent taste and burn from package to package, throughout all the seasons of the year. The taste isn't as outstanding as other English blends I've tried, but I have yet to find anything which matches the cool and friendly smoke that Standard delivers. For the best possible experience, dedicate a new English pipe to this tobacco alone and smoke nothing else - years down the road, you'll be glad you did so every time you taste the rich flavor from this faultlessly genteel tobacco.