Truly a luxurious tobacco. Virginias are carefully conditioned to ensure sweetness. They are added to rich, heavier and cooler Virginias. A unique flavor is added to the final blend to enhance the subtle and piquant aroma.

Notes: Pure shade grown Virginias, very soft smoking, particularly recommended in cases of delicate throat. -1917

Lemon and Bronze Virginia leaves are carefully conditioned and are added to rich heavy body Virginias, a unique flavour is added to the final blend. -1985

BrandDunhill
Blended ByDunhill
Manufactured ByScandinavian Tobacco Group
Blend TypeVirginia Based
FlavoringPlum
Where to Buy Iwan Ries
BnB Tobacco
PipesAndCigars.com
Strength
Strong
Taste

3.1
Strong Mild Medium Pleasant

In my efforts to continue fighting for truth, justice and the Royal Yacht way:

An all-time classic from one of the world's outstanding pipe and tobacco firms. It is a big seller at pipe shops around the country, and for good reason. It is outstanding. RY is my favorite blend, and the perfect way to start each day. I load up with a cup of coffee and spend the first hour of the morning in total bliss!

Royal Yacht is not for neophytes. I get tickled reading reviews of this blend from new pipe smokers. The tobacco spice upon lighting, and the powerful dose of nicotine will cross the eyes and blurr the vision of newbies!

If you enjoy true tobacco taste (the virginia base is excellent) then you will enjoy this powerful blend. It can be smoked all day with no fatigue or tongue bite. The delicate flavoring only adds to the enjoyment.

(Update 9/24/03) I most certainly am enjoying all of the recent reviews of Royal Yacht (Nectar of the Gods!) I smoke about four 50g tins of this tobacco a month. Although I was always flunking math in high school and college, I do believe that adds up to about 48 tins per year. And it is delicious with just about any drink (save milk, perhaps). The more recent production tins do, unfortunately, contain more water content than the older tins. So, let it dry out a bit before loading and smoking. But, not too much -- you don't want any of that wonderful and unique flavoring to evaporate! :)

=====UPDATE 9/05========

With Orlik having taken over the blending from Murray's of Dunhill tobaccos, I have been asked by many friends who know of my love for Royal Yacht whether I have sampled the "new ROYAL YACHT." Yes I have and below is my review of it:

I recently received an order of 5-tins of Royal Yacht from JR Cigar. I had heard that JR was selling the new EU made Dunhill tobaccos and I wanted to compare some of them to the Murray's version that I have become so accustomed to. Naturally, Royal Yacht was my first foray into the world of Orlik produced Dunnie weed. No question, there are some differences. First of all, the five pack game in a cardboard bottom cover wrapped in plastic. While the new blender is still using the old tins, they are putting a heavy label on the bottom of the tin that does say Made in The EU. The way I know the old tins are still being used is because the top label still says "Made in the U.K. in association with Dunhill Tobacco of London." Upon opening the tin, I was greeted with a very broken flake rather than ribbon cut leaf. The leaf is darker in appearance than the Murray's version and appeared well aged. The smell in the tin is A LOT DIFFERENT, not nearly as deep and rich and actually "smelled cased" if that makes sense. Frankly, the smell set of some alarms. I was pleased to see that the new blender is not soaking Royal Yacht in water as Murray's had over the last few years. The leaf was still too moist for my personal preference, but will probably be at the perfect moisture content in a few days. I took a handful of the leaf and fully rubbed it out, then whacked it up in my one speed food processor for a bit (as I did with the Murray's version.) I loaded up and lit up. The taste and nicotine content is unquestionably lighter. Not a ton lighter, but certainly noticed. The added flavoring (thank goodness) tasted the same although not as strong as the Murray's. The leaf could use a bit more aging as it tasted a bit "fresh" to me. I believe (and hope) it will age just as well as the Murray's version which I think aged as well as any Virginia tobacco I've ever smoked. Once properly aged, I think I may actually appreciate this morfed Royal Yacht more than the Murray's version because the taste is not quite as heavy and the casing has been applied a bit more delicately. I hope the above review wasn't too boring. And I will be interested to hear from those of you who regularly enjoy other Dunhill offerings to get your impressions of the taste change (if any) you have discovered. Best, Pipestud

panduji68 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
panduji68 (28)
Strong Mild Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I actually purchased a tin of Royal Yacht as more of an evening/after dinner smoke. When my tin arrived in the mail, I of course opened it, and took a whiff. It has an outstanding tin note, slightly sweet, but with hints of raisin and fall leaves. Just a very very nice tobacco aroma. It also seemed to have just the right moisture content with no apparent drying necessary.

My mail arrives earlier in the day, and after opening the tin, smelling and feeling the tobacco, I of course was not going to wait until after dinner to try it... Into the pipe it went! It packed quite easily and took light after an initial charring with minimal expansion of the tobacco. It burned quite well and very cool to the bottom of the bowl with only two relights necessary. The flavors were of hay (not in a bad way, I really enjoyed it), slightly sweet raisin and a little leather. The taste seemed fairly consistent on through the bowl, with no tongue bite and thick smoke even with small short puffs.

I did notice the nicotine level seemed to get stronger at the bottom of the bowl. Due to my eagerness to try it prior to eating, I felt a substantial nicotine hit that nearly buckled my knees and put me right back into my chair. This was fine with me as I was able to finish the pipe whilst sitting down in comfort. Great smoke, and highly recommended!!!

Update: After a few weeks in the tin, this tobacco has dried out substantially, where it's almost crispy. I was contemplating rehydrating it a bit, then figured I would just pack it as is and give it a go. Although drier than a popcorn fart, it smoked magnificently, and I almost prefer this particular tobacco this way... The nicotine buckled my knees again, and planted me firmly back into my leather recliner after a hard days work. Apparently, this tobacco prefers my sitting down whilst smoking it. I did not argue... I enjoyed.

Update #2: My original review was posted on 2013-06-26... I have since smoked through about 8 tins of the Royal Yacht and have just received 15 more tins, 5 of which are going to cellar. This has become my "If I had but one tobacco left in the world to smoke" smoke. Grand, glorious, and always on hand... This is my smoke of all smokes. The Royal Yacht sets sail every evening in my home, faithfully taking me on the most pleasant of voyages without fail.

Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This mixture is very representative of "the tobacco that varies from smoker to smoker." I'm amazed at a few of the responses, especially those who don't get much taste out of it. I'd say it doesn't have as strong a taste and the nicotine punch as some claim, though it's certainly not a light weight smoke, and the nicotine will sneak up on you before you know it. I personally rate the taste as medium, but it's just a shade over that, and rating it as medium to strong might give the wrong impression. The topping is citrusy with raisin, fig, and very obvious plum notes, which leads me to suspect that the manufacturer wanted a mildly sweet perique taste without spending the money to actually use it in this blend. The Virginias are choice, with some natural citrus and dark fruitiness, and though they are sublimated by the toppings, I also notice some floral grass and earth. I suspect a little dark fired is present due to the light smoke and wood generally associated with that process, but I only get a hint of spice. The very consistent flavor never weakens, and has no dull or harsh spots as it burns at a moderate pace. Won't bite. Leaves very little moisture in the bowl, and the after taste lingers a little. Requires an average number of relights. Not an all day smoke.

mo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mo (79)
Strong Medium Full Tolerable

It is not everyday that one smokes a blend for the fisrt time and have an instant love for it.

That was the case with Royal Yacht, without a doubt, the most anticipated tobacco i have ever smoked.I was gifted this tin by my fried Jason and i will be forever grateful to him.

This blend really is luxurious. If it was coffee it would be an Espresso, if it was a car it would be a black S Class Mercedes, if it was a building it would be a 6 star Hotel.

When i smoke it, i am amazed at the amount of smoke it produces with the smallest sip, the taste is almost impossible to describe. It is definately Virginia, but there is a topping that creates a unique but yet familiar taste profile. I do detect some Burley towards the bottom of the bowl.

There was another reviewer who compared RY to Petersons Irish Oak. I can see how they remind one of the other in that they are both extremely reliable standbys, they both deliver Nicotine in a civilised, yet satisfying way and that the cut allows one to pack your pipe easily, they do not taste similar though. No matter which pipe i have smoked RY in, it always delivered the same spectacular result. A perfect, satisfying smoke.

The strange thing about RY is that even after finishing a bowl, i always crave the taste. I smoke between 1 and 3 bowls a day but if i could, i would proabably have a pipe with this hanging from my mouth all day long.

I did the best i could to describe Royal Yacht but after reading the above, i have failed.

You just got to smoke it.

Mo, South Africa

Perique Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Perique (150)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

An excellent Virginia blend. Review is based on a roughly three year old tin.

The tin note is extremely sweet for an non-aromatic: sweet, fresh breads, raw sugar, maybe hot crossed buns. Among my favorite tin notes out there.

Takes a match well and requires little to no drying time. Burns well, few if any relights required.

Extremely smooth Virginia. A blend that tastes very similarly to its tin aroma. Lots of subtle Virginia flavors here - smoked slowly and savored, one will pick out the sweet bread-like and mild hay notes. Reminds me of fresh baked, home made white bread loaves. Served with a good English tea with milk and sugar.

Very consistent throughout the bowl with little variance between first, middle, and final thirds. If anything, gains a bit of sweetness as the smoke progresses.

I can see how some would call this "flat" or one-dimensional. But as a dedicated Virginia and VaPer smoker, I've been very impressed with this blend. A delicate, sweet Virginia. Zero bite, even if smoked hot. Easy to smoke with no prep work required. Highly recommended.

An excellent introduction to Virginias. Also a great blend for aromatic smokers looking for something more. This is what aromatics should taste like: naturally sweet Virginias with a touch of sugar. Outstanding.

Kraft1994 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kraft1994 (54)
Medium to Strong Very Mild Full Pleasant to Tolerable

An excellent example of what virginias can do. Royal Yacht is an elegant blend of sweet virgina leaves blended with a dark, full bodied, smoky virginia. The result if a full bodied, full flavor, wonderfully sweet blend that just down right tastes of elegance and class. Then again it is a Dunhill so no surprises there. I enjoyed a pipe full of this blend the other weekend while on my way to my parents house for a visit. Walked in the front door and my mother was amazed by how much I smelt like my Grandfather did. No one in my family seems to recall what my Grandad smoked but if it turns out it was Royal Yacht then thats just icing on the cake for this classic Dunhill blend. Truly everything a straight virginia blend aspires to be. This blend is quality tobacco in one of its best forms.

-UPDATE-

With some age on the tin now my opinion of Royal Yacht has changed..... Its now without a doubt, absolute heaven on earth. With age the blend mellows and sweetens into the best straight virginia blend out there. Sweet, mellow, sugary, and wonderfully smoky. Bravo Dunhill. WIth some age I have to change my strength rating to Medium, my taste rating to Medium, and my Room Note rating to tolerable. Overall, Royal Yacht mellows into a mellower, sweeter blend. For some reason the room note also picked up a musky scent which I really enjoy but, not for everyone. So go buy two tins of Royal Yacht, smoke one and stash the other in a mason jar for a few month. You'll get two beautiful tins. An instant favorite.

Pipe Used: Rossi Pot

Purchased From: Johnathan Robet Feilding & Co. - Shoreview, MN 651-489-7584

Noorrmm Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Noorrmm (193)
Strong Very Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Note: I recently revisited this old timer out of curiosity, and found that my ideas about it had changed. This trip was much more pleasant than the last journey, and I have returned it to my regular rotation.

Appearance: Mostly dark brown with some ligher flashes, quite fine cut. Could be called a shag, although not a fine as Black Shag.

Aroma: Very rich sweet Va aroma, almost winey.

Packing: Packs easily into any size pipe I own.

Lighting: One match light is ofen possible.

Initial flavor: Very full bodied, typical of highly fermented Va tobaccos. There is some similarity to St. Bruno, but much more subtle. There are some nuances, but they are very subtle.

Mid-bowl: Cooler than expected if you?re careful, but can bite if you get careless. Excellent flavor and good compexity as you progress through the bowl. Must be enjoyed in a relaxed mood, not while driving, or involved in tasks.

Finish: Gets a bit stronger tasting at the end. If you smoke it hot, It will leave some wet dottle in the bowl. Smoked slow and cool, it finishes clean and dry.

Summary: I don't understand the bad rap others are giving it, btu then tasting is highly personal and subjective. I think this is probably the most polarizing blend ever.

Medium to Strong Very Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

When I want Virginias this is what I reach for 90% of the time. Zero bite. Sweet and delicious. Top quality tobaccos.

SmokeDawg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SmokeDawg (82)
Medium to Strong Mild Medium to Full Strong

Took The Royal Yacht out a few times around Nicotine Bay and the result so far has been the same. I'm always torpedoed by the USS Better Virginia from the USA. This is no doubt a quality, rich, luxurious high quality smoke from Dunhill. It smells divine and is loaded with rich tobacco. It no doubt has the goods to satisfy the smoker who craves the drug and will slap silly those who aren't use to this style of bacca. With all the hype and almost threatening manner with it's nicotine content I find the nicotine in Peterson's Irish flake would kick this blend back to the other side of the British Isles. That doesn't mean Royal Yacht is weak… by no means.

I'm a lover of VA based tobacco and particular fond of Cornell and Diehls and McClelland's treatment of this great leaf. So I purchased Royal Yacht looking for another Va based tobacco. If you've never tried it, here's my honest opinion and experience of what you will find behind this classic tin of bright screaming primary colors.

It's a heavy natural style tobacco blend, med to darker brown in color. The smell of Plum in the tin is good and not overbearing and to me barley transferred to the bowl. Theres not a lot of movement of flavor change and I could barley get any sweetness from the Va's. Its a heavy tobacco taste blend and almost one dimensional with a nice nicotine bite with dense smoke. It has a heavy to harsh room note. You can smoke it anytime but would pair great with an afternoon meal or morning coffee. This style of tobacco in itself is a classic and will please you if you craving this style of smoke. If the above sounds what you are looking for you will love it.

On the other hand if your desire is warm, tasty or sweet Red, Golden or Bright Va's with or without a nic punch I recommend looking in other brands that tend to be more favorable in the Virginia department. Some of our brands from the U.S. do a great job.

This is nice quality blend and I recommend it, depends what the piper is looking for. Happy sailing pipers!

Pipe Used: Bertram pot.

Purchased From: JR Cigars.

Strong Medium Medium to Full Tolerable

Many years ago, when discussing a topic other than pipes and tobacco, a friend of mine started the description of "fabulously OK". I never really understood what that meant until now.

This tobacco is interesting in that it's a virginia based blend that seems to be trying to be something else - but what, I am not sure. It has a very noticeable casing of some sort but it's not an aromatic. It's not a pure straight virginia and it's not exactly an English. Someone described it as a "Ship's" tobacco, as in the old days of rum and molasses cavendish, and that's probably the best descriptor I've heard so far.

In the bowl, this tobacco wants very much to burn hot, and it will do so if you're not very careful. The flavor is a mish-mash of so many different tastes, it seems they don't all go together - imagine eating a huge bowl of peanut butter, bologna and ice cream together. Each ingredient is good on its own but the resultant melange is a bit disconcerting, as each taste fights with each other for the forefront. Now top that mess off with some field hay.

This is not a bad tobacco by any means. It's an intriguing smoke, doesn't really change as it goes down the bowl and it's very different from anything I've ever smoked. I'm not sure what Dunhill was trying to accomplish with this blend, so I'm not sure if they were successful or not. "Fabulously OK" sums up Royal Yacht for me. As always, your mileage may vary.

DeathMetal.org Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DeathMetal.org (121)
Strong Very Mild Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Summary: strong dark Virginias with a fruity topping, this tobacco is the perfect all-day smoke.

"Royal Yacht" gets a bad rap because of its semi-aromatic fruity topping. Like the one in "University Flake" or even "Erinmore Flake," this fades quickly to the background. The main show is the strong Virginia with less sweetness than one might expect, but instead a rich grain taste like the best oatmeal Grandma ever made. It delivers a consistent flavor and strength which makes "Royal Yacht" an excellent tobacco for hard work or even sailing while wearing an ascot. This blend belongs to legend and a very present enjoyment. One of the best.

Similar Blends: Peterson - Irish Oak.

Chris66 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Chris66 (10)
Strong Medium to Strong Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I'm hooked ! Lovely strong tobacco. Smell reminds me of one of those old woodwork teachers pipes, with prunes added. Very smooth & tasty, my Mrs loves the smell. It might be just me but I've found that a mug of coffee neutralizes the taste ! Can really feel the nicotine, although I did smoke a bowl of Squadron Leader first. If you don't like this stuff, then you are a bit of a wimp !

UPDATE : 21-05-14...This really is strange stuff, lovely, but strange !

I find that when I fancy another tobacco, as I pick up my 965 or Artisan's Blend, this stuff keeps saying " Oi You, what do ya think you're doing ! Put that down, NOW ! " Royal Yacht seems to demand to be smoked.

Yes R.Yacht I do love the nice plum, tin aroma, I love how you smoke great straight from the tin, how you are easy to light & keep lit, the lack of tongue bite, and the lovely strong taste which seems best sipped from a small clay pipe. BUT I still like other tobaccos and I sometimes fancy a change, STOP bullying me. The other tobaccos are feeling neglected & jealous ! !

Pipe Used: Clay & Sav freehand

Age When Smoked: fresh from tin

Purchased From: smokeKing.com

tommyboy1749 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tommyboy1749 (26)
Very Strong Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Dunhill's Royal Yacht has been under sail since 1912, although over the years it has undergone changes. In 1917, it was described as "particularly recommended in cases of delicate throat." While Royal Yacht isn't particularly heavy in terms of body, the present incarnation is hardly "delicate."

I first smoked Royal Yacht in the early 1980s, and I remember the tobacco being darker and the added flavoring more pronounced. Today, the tobacco is more of a light to medium brown color, and while the flavoring is present, it is applied with a restrained hand. The cut is also finer, which in my opinion is an improvement, insofar as it helps to maintain a ready, even burn.

But beyond these factors, the bend is still a nuanced, slightly sweet, somewhat dry, Virginia blend. The flavoring is plum-like and adds to, rather than detracts from, the native qualities of the Virginia leaf. Royal Yacht's nicotine content is also very pronounced. At first, it won't seem like it's that big of a deal, but it creeps up on you puff by puff. It has kept me awake at night, so I reserve this for afternoon smoking--especially as a pick-me-up.

While it may not be what it once was, the present incarnation of Royal Yacht is close enough to its original conception to be a perennial classic. Royal Yacht is in a class by itself and is like no other blend. Besides, the tin sports an Art Deco label that is the definition of "retro-cool."

Jorge Soler Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jorge Soler (129)
Medium to Strong None Detected Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

I am smoking this mixture now as we speak to write this review. This is not the tobacco I remember from years ago, but it is still good enough to have a good time with it. It burns quite evenly but I am missing the dark ribbons and dry cardboard like appearance that used to define this blend. It all looks to me more like a half and half mixture of dark and gold leaf. Also, the orange like flavouring is missing as well. I am somewhat disappointed as I was expecting to meet up again with an old friend, but the new blend is still worth it anyway. Every now and again I am getting a hint of the old mixture, but I think this is a new blend on its own right. This tobacco can be smoked all day long and it won't bite your tongue, but I am not sure I'd have it as one of my staples. This tobacco is somewhat aromatic, but don't quite see it that way. Needless to say I am quite pleased with this mixture, but I have mixed feelings about it. However, I shall get back to this text as my tin starts emptying: I am only giving you my first impression here. At this point in time I'd say the blend is very fulfilling, but I guess I shall need to have a few more pipes to be more accurate with my description. I'd give this tobacco a 9 out of ten because of this.

Post edit1: I had a second fill in one of my favourite briars and I can only feel sorry this is coming to and end now. I fell as though this blend would certainly require a bigger bowl to fully appreciate the awesomeness and depth of this high quality smoke. My initial disappointment is already dissipating for not being able to meet this very old friend of mine once more. I cannot be objective with the room note as I fully appreciate the overwhelming presence of it all over my house. My cat does not mind it either, or so it seems. I don't think that, at this stage of my amusement, I shall go back to my day-to-day blend until this tin is all empty for good. I have been working in one of my translation until late with my last fill, and I feel somewhat sorry it is time to go to bed, though I am nor sure I am all that ready for my sleep yet. A true companion this tobacco is, and a good friend at that. I shall keep you up updated folks.

Post edit2: the orange flavouring is definitely still there (not plum, but orange). I am still somewhat disappointed by this tobacco's new appearance, and yet I can recognize most of its old features in it. Just like the former blend, this is a sweet and flavoursome smoke with a high nicotine content. Be warned: this tobacco might upset your tummy if you smoke it on an empty stomach, so I would recommend it as a late afternoon or after dinner blend. Its fruity hints will develop quite nicely as you consume it in your pipe, but it might turn sour after you smoke past 3/4 of it. Also, this tobacco will condensate in your pipe, so you are probably better off with a condensation chamber pipe such as that of Peterson's (or any pipe that will take a filter in) if you are not an experienced smoker.

Post edit 3: This is one of my staples now. This tobacco is one of the best things I've ever packed my bowl with so far. I am really impressed by the depth, quality and balance of this everyday's mixture. How could anyone possibly be disappointed with it? In one word: impressive.

Pipe Used: Meerschaum

Age When Smoked: Probably 1

Purchased From: John Howlingsworth

Similar Blends: This mixture would be so much in line with many tobaccos of the Dunhill's range.

PC Plod Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PC Plod (63)
Strong Mild Very Full Pleasant

An ideal blend for cultivating a calm cool smoking style.

The Royal Yacht has SO much flavour and strength, and burns so easily, that it's possible to get buckets of satisfaction from even the tiniest sips of smoke. My smoking style improves dramatically whenever I fire this up on a regular basis.

After almost a half-century of pipe smoking I've come to the conclusion that almost all pipe tobacco smells good when it burns slowly. In the words of Inspector Maigret, pipe tobacco smells 'wholesome'.

But even the sweetest tobacco can smell foul when burned too fast or hot. I confess that it took me decades to learn how to smoke slow and cool without having to relight or concentrate. In other words, until calm cool puffing was a natural habit.

No doubt about it ... Royal Yacht is a STRONG smoke. I take my time lighting it up, using the gentlest draws until the whole thing gets going. After that, the tobacco smoulders effortlessly all the way to the bottom, often without the need for relights.

Pipe Used: Sixten Ivarsson No. 86

Purchased From: Online vendor

Medium to Strong Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

Dunhill - Royal Yacht.

From the fresh tin it's a little moist but not majorly so. The blend's presented as a medium brown, mid-size, ribbon.

The smoke has an easy-going nature to it. Quality Virginia with a mildly applied plum flavour. Adding to the smooth character is the lack of tongue bite, and cool temperature smoke. The burn's steady, consistent, and reliable.

Nicotine: medium to strong. Room-note: pleasant.

Four stars for Royal Yacht:

Highly recommended.

Pipe Used: Mr Brog

Purchased From: Smoke King

vespa Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
vespa (18)
Medium Medium Full Pleasant

I've been smoking alot of Va's lately and RY has been hitting the mark for me. Sweet, Spicy and on the spot. If there is a topping it's very mild and doesn't detract from the Awesome Va taste, this is a must have for the Va lovers out there and will stay in my rotation for sometime to come. If you have a love for Va's with little to muddle up your smoke this is a must have. WIN WIN alround!!!!

Pipe Used: Hilson Vintage

Purchased From: Emerson's Virginia Beach, Va.

Wibblefishofdoom Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Wibblefishofdoom (139)
Medium Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Another of a load of samples I have bought recently, I approached this with some trepidation, as recent forays with Dunhill haven't really lived up to expectations. Nevertheless, I've paid for it and I'm darn well going to do my best to smoke and review it.

I couldn't quite place the tin aroma initially, after a few more smells though, it gives off hints nuts and chocolate. Packing and lighting are very easy. The taste is quite an unusual mixture, took me a while to pick up the raisin and chocolate that everyone else seems to pick up on but it arrived eventually. What impressed me was a good nutty flavour, almost coming across as a nicer St Bruno Flake, throughout most of the smoke. The roomnote is nothing special but doesn't offend. It does have a little tonguebite and has a tendency to hit the back of the throat, but neither are anywhere near bad enough to render the tobacco unsmokeable.

On the whole then, a rather good smoke, and I have every intention of acquiring a full tin. Admittedly, it doesn't quite rock my socks off to give it four stars, but certainly worth a very worthy three and a half.

Update: 14/10/2013

I have finally got round to getting a full tin and am impressed enough to up my review from 3 to 4 stars. This actually reminds me a lot of a GH floral in terms of the quality and type of the tobacco itself. I could also pick up plum in both the tin aroma and the smoke. It was a little wet to begin with, I did get a little gurgling towards the end of the smoke but this disappeared about half way down the tin. Also the tonguebite and roughness at the back of the throat have disappeared. The only complaint I had is that it smokes too quickly, I got about half an hour out of a good pipeful compared to close to an hour with a GH floral, no doubt the cut has something to do with it. I did, as a result, find myself loading up another bowl soon after - no real problem for such a nice tobacco apart from the fact that I got through the tin so much quicker. I have to say that I was so tempted to dash out and buy another tin of this as I came close to finishing this one, only a lack of funds has prevented me from doing so. I struggle to think of another tobacco, save perhaps for GL Pease's Sextant, that this temptation has even occurred to me.

FireintheBriar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
FireintheBriar (9)
Strong None Detected Very Full Unnoticeable

The fabulous thing about smoking a pipe is the myriad of tobacco that is available. I look forward to trying new blends; it is like hunting a new patch of woods or like fishing a new stream. What lies inside of that tin is ready for you to experience; sometimes grand and sometimes it leaves a bad taste in your mouth! Royal Yacht (RY) is one of the blue ribbons of pipe smoking as the Ausable River is a blue ribbon to fly-fishing. I have kept both at arms length due to the stories of their strength. The Ausable can be difficult to wade in some areas, but has pocket water that yields big rewards for those who will walk on greasy bowling balls to get there; RY also yields many rewards. The tin aroma is nothing short of delicious, how could something so strong smell so sweet? RY packs wonderfully and burns willingly, so much so that I was cowering in anticipation of a nicotine wallop. The taste is bold and identifiably stronger than most of the English blends that I flirt with, but to my surprise and relief the wallop of nicotine never reared its foot to kick me. I can report no tongue bite, nor can I say anything negative. RY does build a head of steam as it goes, and about midway through the bowl I could tell it was getting a bit heartier. The smoke was richer and the taste was thicker, but still no negative effects to report. Again I have dodged this blend and stuck to my English Blends so I could save myself excessive nicotine exposure. Perhaps there is more nic in my usual suspects than I thought. Anyway RY is a deep and rich experience you should try, and if your wife asks why you are wearing a life jacket while smoking your pipe, just tell her "Safety First dear Safety First"!

A morning update: I drink a quad shot of espresso with a splash of half N half in the morning. This morning I took a pipe of RY with it; the RY masked all the strong flavors of the espresso except the chocolaty note of the bean. That certainly testifies to the powerful flavor in RY when it is able to nearly hide a quad shot of espresso, no easy task as these beans are fresh roasted daily. Finally a tobacco that goes well with and can stand up to a solid coffee!

Pipe Used: Stanwell, Pellini, Custombuilt

Purchased From: Smoking Pipes

Eulenburg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Eulenburg (193)
Mild to Medium Strong Medium Strong

The economics of pipe tobacco production being what they are, I suppose that Dunhill feel they must cover all kinds and conditions, and so produce unspeakably awful crap like Royal Yacht. It goes perfectly with lava lamps, velvet paintings of bosomy mammas, and Mantovani/1001 Strings vinyl LPs.

Traditional British blenders are just not attuned to the world of aromatics (any more that their compatriots understand Haute Cuisine), and should leave such things to the sensible Dutch and Danes, who have been doing it right for ever.

This baby has all the flavourful charm and sweet redolence of slightly gangrenous horse meat.

DenizBeck Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DenizBeck (265)
Medium to Strong Very Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I never wanted to buy this... not that much of a straight Virginia lover, nor do I like top-flavors too much. But since I knew Royal Yacht is said to be a "burly Virginia" (yes, burly, not BURLEY!), I said 'Yes' when a pipe-friend offered me this for trade. What's the worst that could happen?!

First off: The 'Oh so secret sauce' of Royal Yacht isn't a secret at all, nor is it sauced per se! "Flavoring below 0,1%" (so virtually nonexistent).. and ETHYLACETATE are the only flavoring-agents used here. You can look up the additives over here: https://service.bmel.de/tabakerzeugnisse/index2.php?detail_id=100571&site_key=153&stichw_suche=royal+yacht&zeilenzahl_zaehler=1 ('Aromastoff' = 'Flavoring-Agent'; the rest are humectants; all proportions relative to 1000mg of tobacco)

Now let's sail away on this royal yacht! Because this blend surprised me like no other in the last while. It's bold, it's flavorful, it's so mildly aromatized and the flavoring fades halfway through the bowl.... it's delicious! It makes me dream of 'the good 'ol days' when the old stagers used to clench their pipes.

It starts with the pleasing tin-note of citrus, fruits and spice, over the Dunhill-typical perfect ribbon-cut, and ends in a feast of flavor in your pipe. It's far from being an "airy Virginia blend".. much more going on here. I don't know how come, but these Virginias have some delicate boldness to them. From the first puffs you get a mouthfilling, full-bodied smoke, that'll wake you up in the morning. The Virginias are bready and oat-y, very earthy and its decent notes of its signature "citrus and grass" are there as well. Topped by a very mild flavoring, that's flattering the Virginias excellently with its citrusy and lemony, slightly sour notes.

With Dunhill leaving the market I always hope a blend of them won't appeal to me, when I try it... I'm busy stocking up Nightcap after all... but damn... this baby's got soul! I could see this becoming my 'Morning Smoke'. It's bold enough to please me, but not too complex to overburden and swamp my palate in the morning. Royal Yacht is so damn refreshing, like good glass of good 'ol Orange Juice, some toasted bread and "Müsli" (oat flakes/porridge) for breakfast. LOVE IT!

Cripes... where can I trade my kidney for those fricking Dunhil blends?! ;-) They know how to make some good tobacco and I like their approach of not using sauces to flavor their blends and keeping the blends on the natural side. I have no choice but to give 4 stars and favorite this snobby bad boy..

Greekpipesmoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Greekpipesmoker (153)
Medium Very Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

Well everything i love about a blend was inside that tin!high quality tobacco,nice cut,at the right moisture,easy to pack and light.burns perfect leaving this white ash as all dunhill blends!virginias taste perfect with a light plum topping!an all day blend to me,definitelly a must try!!

Age When Smoked: When opened!

Cat Jockey Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Cat Jockey (11)
Medium Mild Medium Tolerable

This is a 2-2.5 star tobacco that only gets 1 star from me. For why I consider it a 2-2.5 star tobacco, plenty of others have spoke to those merits. So, why 1 star? It is a Faux-VaPer. It is a Va based blend flavored to taste a little bit like there is actual Perique in it, IMO, of course. It has its merits, but there are far too many tobaccos out there to mess around with aros trying to be VaPers, IMO. I like Dunhill blends and consider DNR to be superior to Escudo, so nothing against the brand.

Good? Sure. Been around for a long time? Sure. Worth buying and smoking? Maybe not, if you have limited bowls a day to smoke, limited number of tins per week you can buy, and a lot of tobaccos you want to try. You won't miss out on anything too special or unique if you skip this one, as well as being able to find MORE of just about everything it has to offer in other readily available blends.

Pipe Used: Nuttin' but Cobs for me

CoolPilot Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CoolPilot (69)
Strong None Detected Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Strong virginia, rich in taste and strength, ready to be smoked. I found this blend a little bit too dry, but exceptionally good. The Dunhill Nightcap does for EM what the Royal Yacht does for virginia. If you are searching for tasty and strong blend virtginia based, with nothing else, this is it. I think it is a must-try for people that use to smoke FVF, for example, because this virginia is imho much better.

Pipe Used: lubinsky

Hamzah Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Hamzah (2)
Strong Mild Medium Tolerable

The name is identical to the taste. Such a strange statement to start with though this is true. When I smoke this Virginia tobacco it makes me feel I am in a luxurious world far from everyone, very relaxed accompanied by a very distinguished viginia taste but still different taste of virginia. It burns quickly with high nicotine and that is why I smoke it slowly in a small pipe so that I will not feel very dizzy. Some of the readers may be amazed to know that I like also to smoke it in the morning but for a short period of time to enjoy its distinguished mild taste. Also, I smoke it for a long time before I go to bed. During the night and because of the nicotine in my body I have different dreams and I write what I dream of in my journal and create ideas for some of my short stories. I do not recommend pressing the tobacco because this will affect the taste. Great for smoking while watching movies but not while reading. From my point of view this is a great tobacco and its worth smoking on regular bases though as I have said it burns quickly. Great taste that can not be described in words. If you love to imagine and feel unique, it is time to sail in the Royal Yacht.

Pipe Used: Savenilli Peterson

Hottgunn Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Hottgunn (19)
Strong Mild to Medium Very Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This is my first try at RY. I usually smoke Dunhill's LM or MM 965 and many of the Pease tobaccos. Tin note is medium with the scent of hay and newly mowed grass and rather sweet. Moisture seems about right and it packs easily. The smoke gets richer as the bowl progresses and tastes a great deal like the tin aroma. No tongue bite but I did smoke it in one of Petersons with a P-lip mouthpiece. Not an over powering flavor like Latakia tobaccos but an extremely rich and satisfying smoke than develops over time. Clean after taste. I can't recall any tobacco that tastes anything like RY. A VERY big nicotine hit - the most of any of my tried tobaccos even more than Dunhill's Night Cap. As with all Virginia tobaccos I smoke, it seems to smoke best in my Peterson pipes for whatever reason. A wonderful and very satisfying tobacco. I like it more each time I smoke it. Most highly recommended.

Koimann Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Koimann (2)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Full Very Pleasant

simply a superb tobacco blend ! very satisfying and a beautifully nuanced smoking experience; strong in taste and nicotine. To date, it's the only blend that gives me that "not wanting more feeling" As a heavy "roll up" smoker I think I have found a more refined smoking replacement - Royal Yacht = instant smoking satisfaction. A proper baccy for serious smokers, try it you won't be disappointed.

Pipe Used: Dunhill

Purchased From: Lewis Darby - Cardiff

krg1000 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
krg1000 (180)
Strong Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

After reading about this venerable blend, I had to get me a tin and see if the hype was for real or not. This will not disappoint in any way. Upon opening the tin, the moisture level is about perfect. Some will need to dry it for a while, but it won't need too much, YMMV. The nicotine level does grow as you smoke down the pipe, so be warned if you are sensitive to Vitamin N to be on a full stomach before filling up your pipe with this one. The tobacco used in this blend is first rate and it shows. The tin note and room note are of plums, or maybe raisins even comes through for you. Definitely recommended when you can get your hands on some.

mdnyc71 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mdnyc71 (22)
Very Strong Mild to Medium Medium Tolerable

The casing is very light and pleasant. The cut is closer to shag than ribbon - a good thing for my pace and burn preference. This is a great smoke with a stout hit of nicotine. I get the same nicotine experience from Royal Yacht that I get from Fillmore but with more of a medium taste (I consider the taste of Fillmore to be "full").

11/07/13 - I'm changing my recommendation to 4 stars for the simple reason that I reach for this blend as often or more often than my existing favorites.

Medium to Strong Mild Medium Tolerable

I have smoked more than 80 tobaccos at this point, and I can't remember one that took me so long to get a handle on. This review is based on the Orlik blend. I had my first encounter with RB by smoking about one third of a tin a couple of years ago. I flat out didn't like it. I revisited the tin several months later and found the tobacco to still be boring. Having such a strong following I recently gave it one more shot. That was three fast tins ago! I seem to have found out what many lovers of this blend already know, it just a good solid tobacco. It offers a tin scent of a good vaper (although there is no perique in the blend), the usual raisins, figs etc. I don't get plum in the flavor but more of a carmel taste in the background of pure tobacco. I would disagree with those that rate the topping on this above mild. The tobacco flavor dominates for me. Royal Yacht seems to be in its own unique category taste wise and its on the strong side and slightly sweet. RY packs well, only needs a few minutes of dry time and leaves a white ash. This is one I'm glad I stuck with. Recommended.

Blackhorse Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Blackhorse (90)
Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I'm not going to go into a huge amount of detail here, that's been done by plenty of others. This seems to be an interesting side step for Dunhill, at least for me. Prior to trying this one most of my experience with Dunhill had been their English and flake items. Although I love the flake, I'm tired of English blends and more into blends that are devoid of Latakia and it's cousins. So Royal Yacht really hit the bullseye. I love Burley and VA/Burley blends and things with that Brit 'treacle' hint (the molasses/raisin thing) if done well. And this one I think uses that kind of casing/topping of wherever in the process it's applied. Doesn't matter. It's good in th pouch, handles well and easily, is quite tractable in the bowl and produces the magic trio (for me): a) it's easy to pack and light, b) it smokes with a wonderful flavor that is primarily a rich tobacco flavor that is enhanced with the added flavoring, and c) it behaves well with no bite, moderate Vit N hit and burns cleanly. That might be more than three. doesn't really matter. This is world class and a classic. (six stars)

Another one of the great ones from England that one cannot buy in the States. I swear, if I lived in England I could be very happy with their tobaccos. I found a tin of this one in Burmuda while cruising. I had never tried it before so only bought one can. I deeply regret this, it only cost me $4.70 for the tin and they had plenty of it. This and these English Blends are turning me into a VA lover. This one is mostly a VA with a little fruity flavoring that smells sweet in the tin and upon lighting up, smell rich and fragrant in the room. It packed easily as it's a riff cut medium brown tobacco and it lit on first light and stayed lit all the way down. It was very gentle on the tongue even when I smoked it kind of fast. It smoked down to a dark grey ash dottle with no gurgling or goopiness in my pipe. It smokes wonderful in a Peterson System pipe and I enjoyed it very much. Oh why did I not buy more?

zulujerk Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
zulujerk (145)
Strong Medium Very Full Strong

Royal Yacht is very much like 1792. They are both high quality, very strong tobaccos with very distinct toppings. The cut here isn't a slightly rubbed out flake like 1792--it's more fine, and fully rubbed out, somewhat dissimilar to a ribbon cut. Whetever you call it, the cut lends particularly well to packing and burning. Lighting is no problem.

The tin that I have is an Orlik version--and though some have commented on its weaker nature--I fail to see how this thing could be any stronger. In my estimate, this KOs 1792 in the strength department, though the match is hard fought.

If you're looking for a description of the topping, I'm at a loss. It's there, it's different, and it's noticeable..in short, it's one of those love/hate type things like Blue Note--without the monstrous bite.

Royal Yacht clearly isn't for everyone, but it's nice when you want to get knocked on the floor. For those that are big fans of 1792, I'm sure you won't have a problem here. Whatever your gig, Royal Yacht will likely spark one's voice of opinion.

Nathaniel Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Nathaniel (10)
Strong Medium Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I’d never had any particular interest in trying this blend. It was on my list, but nowhere near top priority. Virginia-based blends are not usually my first choice, and when I do smoke them, I prefer a much subtler topping than Royal Yacht’s was purported to be. I like the flavor of Virginia as it is; in fact, “straight Virginia” is probably my favorite genre of pipe tobacco. But Royal Yacht’s reputation preceded it. I’d read many of these reviews, and they skewed positive. So, finding myself in a tobacconist I’d never visited before, I picked up a tin. This particular place has a far better selection than my usual, more conveniently located option. Light on the aromatics and the house blends and a decent, if not world-class, array of tins. They didn’t have a straight Virginia, which was my first choice, so I settled for something “Virginia based”.

My first smoke of the Royal Yacht was right there on the shop’s tiny balcony. The shop is a cramped though inviting little space wedged above a hookah lounge and awkwardly off-adjacent to a tattoo parlor. The balcony seats exactly two. I made myself at home and cracked my tin. Smell out of the tin was sweet and metallic: fruit (I remembered the comparisons to Juicy Fruit gum and found them apt) layered over the sweet smell of dry grass, with some notes of dry autumn leaves. Old pennies, and far in the background is the faintest suggestion of spice, like curry powder. About medium in intensity; it doesn’t reek from the tin like Nightcap. It’s an odd smell, not offensive or off-putting, but unlike anything you are likely to encounter outside of the pipe-smoking hobby. My tin was a little wet, but not objectionably so. I probably could have loaded up and smoked as is, but I wasn’t in any kind of hurry, so I scooped out a bowl’s worth (kudos to Dunhill for packing their tins generously; McClelland, take note) and let it sit on the tin lid to dry for a minute.

Packing is simple, even though Royal Yacht is a little clumpier than I expect from Dunhill’s usual standards. I think of this as halfway between a ribbon cut and a ready-rubbed. Being so, it rubs out pretty much effortlessly. I found a medium pack to smoke a little hot, so I’m going to say pack this one a little firmer and sip slowly.

There’s a rough edge to this smoke, one that doesn’t smooth out as you smoke through the bowl. The metallic scent I pick up in the tin note translates to a weird coppery taste, like sucking on an old penny. It has an echo of the sourness of plums, but the sweetness is a function of the Virginias, not the topping, which I enjoy and prefer.

Honestly, this began as a bit of an enigma to me (with all my biases and predilections as a pipe smoker). Why the topping? Why would you take quality Virginias and squirt plum flavoring on them? Why plum? I’ve had some stoved dark straight Virginia that tasted of plum, of dark fruit, and I thoroughly enjoyed it (I’m thinking of Blackwoods Flake, which is my favorite blend). But to take a Virginia with one flavor and top it with a flavor that can be naturally found in other Virginias seems odd to me. I would love to try a version of this that replaces the flavoring with a naturally fruity stoved Virginia. I’m not averse to topped or cased tobaccos across the board, even aromatics: I smoked a big bowl of 1-Q this morning and have been smoking Carter Hall as my base tobacco as of late. It’s just that Royal Yacht is neither here nor there, neither one or the other. The tobaccos aren’t distinguished enough to make a first-class Virginia blend, and the topping isn’t tasty enough to make a quality aromatic.

However, subsequent smokes reveal a few pleasant surprises. The topping fades a little, moving from Juicy Fruit to a subtle, mild apricot that melds beautifully with the natural Virginia sweetness. There’s a little aromatic woodsiness — sandalwood? that puts me in mind of a fruit pit: that bitterness you get from biting into an apple seed or an unripe almond. It’s become a really vegetal smoke: fruity sweetness, clean woodiness, moldering brown leaves, a slight green bitterness. And it’s almost enough to redeem this tobacco for me. It’s a blend that will teach you to sip. Both the nicotine content and the harsh flavor that emerges at anything more than a controlled, almost somnolent cadence demand a measured pace. But the rewards of taking your time are quite pleasant indeed.

Royal Yacht is virtually tasteless in a meerschaum. When I cracked the tin, the topping made me worry about ghosting my briars, but I think that was unfounded, especially once the leaf has dried out and the the topping fades a little. I won’t be smoking this in anything but a briar pipe again.

The thing I really appreciate about Royal Yacht is its uniqueness. It is unapologetically, brashly itself. The bold flavor and the generous dose of nicotine combine to make a tobacco with a energetic and uninhibited personality. It’s pros are also it’s cons: it can be fussy, rough, and it is a slight enigma, which means smoking it is never a completely comfortable experience. It is an experience, though, and every pipe smoker ought to try it at least once.

ynrozturk Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ynrozturk (60)
Strong None Detected Full Strong

While browsing my local tobacconist here, I found two tins of Royal Yacht hiding in a dark corner. This is not the Orlik blend, but the Murray blend. Seems that they were hiding there for quite a while. And having never tried this blend before, I picked up both tins without hesitation.

And as soon as I got home, I immediately put away a tin in storage, and opened the other. I wanted to dive right into this, as its reputation precedes itself.

The tin note is absolutely lovely. I get a lot of raisins and just good, honest, old fashioned tobacco, with that excellent Dunhill ribbon cut I love so much. It smells full, earthy and strong. And all of these flavors I would soon discover, translate into the actual smoke.

Packs very easily, and burns easily as well. Does not bite. Does not burn hot. But that's the thing - if you smoke this too fast, the nicotine will put you on your ass, and I'm not joking. This is meant to be smoked slow, and if you treat it with respect, it will give you a great smoke.

Because of the nicotine content, I smoke this in a small bowl. No way I'd put this into a big Nording because I simply couldn't handle the nicotine for an hour and a half. But for a nice half hour smoke, it does the job great.

The flavor on the other hand, is what I'm not too keen on. While it doesn't taste bad, it's just too one dimensional and tastes too much like strong cigarettes, and it has that room note as well. This is a no holds barred, serious pipe tobacco which packs a strong punch. This is not advised for the beginner. I'm sure even some seasoned smokers could have problems with the nicotine content here. This is a Virginia blend but it's dark and rich Virginia - no wheat, grass or lime notes here.

All that said, it is not a bad smoke by any means, just not for me personally, especially flavor wise. The nicotine is also far above my threshold, so I couldn't smoke it all day even if I wanted to. But nevertheless, it's an excellent tobacco. I can really see why people love this. It's strong, it's deep, it's honest, and it's very high quality.

Age When Smoked: Old

Dishman420 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dishman420 (1)
Strong Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Let me be formal and introduce myself my name is Zach, a greenhorn to the world of pipe tobacco. If it weren't for the wonderfully well written reviews here I'd never of started so thanks but enough of that and more of

This Royal Yacht lives up to it's title it features a bold flavor casing of plum that I could taste throughout very pleasant but while I was smoking I'd get a nice earthy dirt like taste with a sweet coffee taste that all went together very well with my lemonade iced tea the icing on the cake for me was that I could still taste the tobacco in this blend and that the nicotine washed over me like a wave-soothing and smooth rich smoke that stayed alight much better than the other blends I have tried and this is fresh out of the can still somewhat moist it will be interesting to see how this tobacco matures- I only filled my pipe half full of this and was glad I did or the nicotine would of been too much for me.

This is my first time trying this (and reviewing) and I think I'll be taking a lot more voyages on the royal yacht

Pipe Used: MO Meerschaum Missouri Pride

Age When Smoked: 21

Purchased From: Pipes and Cigars (2 for 1 March Dunhill Deal)

Dr. Scott Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dr. Scott (82)
Strong Medium Full Strong

This is a review of the old Murray's version, so I don't know how it compares to the newer European incarnations.

The comparison to 1792 may be valid: strong Virginias with a tonka bean casing. But it is a lighter casing, and there are other flavors as well, perhaps honey. 1792, however, is overwhelmed by its heavy dousing in tonka. With Royal Yacht, the tonka becomes more evident only as one gets deeper into the bowl. Want to know what tonka tastes like? Then try 1792. With Royal Yacht, you get more tobacco flavor, and it is a little less sweet. 1792 knocks you off your feet with nicotine from the first light. Murray's Royal Yacht is strong, but takes longer for the nicotine to hit.

Burns hot, so avoid nosewarmers. A longer stem gives the smoke more time to cool.

My wife gives it a thumbs down for room note.

Overall, I don't recommend the older version, simply because it's not worth the premium price to buy vintage tins.

Pipe Used: Best in a larger bowl, longer stem.

Age When Smoked: 9+ years

Similar Blends: Samuel Gawith - 1792 Flake?.

Stefanos Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Stefanos (150)
Medium to Strong Very Mild Medium Tolerable to Strong

Comes in ribbons, the usual Dunhill cut. Three shades of brown in almost equal parts. Tin note, while not very intense, has a faint ‘plumy’ note on a background of yeasty tobacco aroma. The freshly opened tin had optimal moisture to smoke so I jarred it straight away.

Royal Yacht is indeed a strong and full bodied smoke. Not unpleasantly so - at least for me. While smoking my first bowl I started to hiccup but it did not happen again. Tastewise, although tasty it’s not loaded with flavor. And despite the fact that it nominally has a plum flavouring, the dominant flavor is that of tobacco. It is quite dry and although a straight Virginia it does have some complexity. Actually the flavor, nutty, reminded me a little of Semois which is a Burley grown in Belgium. Royal Yacht is smoother though. When sipped I got some sweet notes as well. I can also imagine raisins and wood and some smoky dark fired notes and present are some yeasty and spicy notes as well. I’d classify Royal Yacht to the ‘cigarette-like’ tobaccos which means that it is very tobaccoey –despite the plum flavoring- and as such and because of its strength I’d recommend it to seasoned smokers. Room note is quite bold and it leaves an intense, mildly bitter, aftertaste on the mouth.

Do not get fooled by the flavouring, this is a true tobacco smoke. Not a typical Virginia, as I said I do get some Burley-like notes, but Royal Yacht is an outstanding tobacco but not exactly made for repeated use during the day.

Kamerling Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kamerling (27)
Medium None Detected Extremely Mild (Flat) Tolerable to Strong

Royal Yacht is not royal at all! Actually, it's not even a yacht. It's a casual fishboat... with a hole in the deck. I cannot understand those delighted reviews - a dry nicotine-bomb, Virginia without any surprise. Maybe good as a background for your own home-made mixtures, but not for that price. Royal Yacht is a typical overrated pipe tobacco. There was a Monty Python's sketch desribing this quite good.

Interviewer (Michael Palin): Good evening. I have with me in the studio tonight one of the country's leading skin specialists - Raymond Luxury Yacht.

Raymond (Graham Chapman): That's not my name!

Interviewer: I'm sorry - Raymond Luxury Yach-t.

Raymond: No, no, no - it's spelt Raymond Luxury Yach-t, but it's pronounced "Throatwobbler Mangrove".

... the same problem is with Dunhill Royal Yacht.

Mawnan Smiff Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mawnan Smiff (28)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

On a recent trip to my nearest B+M shop (Harvey's of Redruth) I picked up my usual and two new to me blends, one of which was Dunhill's Royal Yacht. As always I couldn't wait to get home and try out my new acquisitions. With a cup of Typhoo I settled down and dug out my McQuade bent bulldog, my preferred pipe for testing purposes.

Upon opening the round 50g tin & peeling back the paper I spied a pleasant mix of mid to dark brown shreds that had an amazing aroma (don't they all?), sweet freshly mown hay came to mind along with a hint of figs or dates. As I always do I tipped the contents onto a copper tray to get some air to it but to be honest this blend didn't appear to be overly moist like so many are.

Filling the bowl was a doddle due to the ribbon cut of the tobacco. Char light and tamp then light proper and we were away. Huge clouds of smoke was the first thing that struck me but it did settle down. Once going proper I could taste the figs/dates in the sweetness of the smoke along with perhaps caramel. I remember thinking 'if this is straight Virginia tobacco then I like straight Virginia tobacco'.

Mid bowl I detected a slightly spicey/peppery hint that surprisingly went well with the dried fruit flavours. No relights were required but if things started to slow down a couple of tugs brought things back again along with more clouds of white smoke. The nicotine content was reasonable without knocking me sideways but I should imagine it would if smoked hard. No tongue bite and zero moisture left in the bowl so no complaints there.

I found this to be almost midway twixt medium & strong, and was reminded of Mellow Virginia though I find MV to be that much more fruity throughout.

Will I be buying this again? I most certainly will though I do baulk at paying an extra £1 per tin simply because it is labelled 'Dunhill'. I have read that the current version is not as good as the Murray produced version so can only wonder at how much more I would have liked it back then.

Sitting here as I am on a lazy Sunday afternoon sipping RY from a bucket bowled Bari egg shaped Oom Paul, listening to the birds twittering and matey across the road mowing his lawn (again) as the sun streams in through my window I feel all is well in the world.

A definite 5 star blend to this relative newcomer (10 months) to pipesmoking.

Pipe Used: McQuade bulldog & Bari Squash.

Age When Smoked: Fresh.

Purchased From: Harvey's of Redruth, Cornwall.

Similar Blends: Mellow Virginia (Benson & Hedges) and not a million miles from Erinmore Flake..

FiremanMick Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
FiremanMick (11)
Strong Mild Very Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Excellent quality leaf.Moisture just right from tin.Very easy light.Billows of smoke.Very full taste - sweet too.Gets more heft by last third of bowl. I can attest to another reviewers post re the slight cigarettish quality. Strong smoke akin to smoking 5 Marlboro Reds rolled Gatling gun style.

I am quite susceptible to the addictive properties of nic and smoked a full tin in 4 days.....very moreish .Due to this I shall steer clear of this blend for a while!! Superb smoke for the more macho amongst us :-)

Pipe Used: Peterson 307s and Deluxe.

Purchased From: My smoking shop

Similar Blends: Dunhill Navy Rolls..

moniker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
moniker (102)
Strong Very Mild Full Pleasant to Tolerable

The tin of Royal Yacht that I smoked for this review was my first sample of the RY from STG, and my only disappointment was that I’d put off trying it for so long. I do detect some differences from the various Murrays, but IMO the latest Royal Yacht honors the marque and retains “Classic” status.

Popping the tin, all is pretty much as ever, except the tin note is perhaps more melded now, with the prominent plum topping jumping right out ahead of the full-yet-mellow, aged and partly ferment VAs, along with figs, cocoa, and forest floor. I think that part of the figgy smell (and part of the musty smell) could be Perique, and I’ll get to that, anon. Short ribbons range from a smattering of gold to myriad browns, to almost black, reflecting both leaf selection and the range of treatments the various VAs have been subjected to, from flue to air cured, to stoved and fire cured. Moisture is just a little much initially, but once the tin has been opened it doesn’t take long for RY to become a stuff-and-smoke delight. One char, then you’re off, and it burns down fast with minimal attention. Because it burns so well, one need not pull hard to keep it going, and I recommend a light pack and an easy draw, at least at first. It starts out mellow, and the topping does just what you’d want it to do, along with sweet and savory, grassy, lighter VAs. By ¼ it’s getting spicy, and the richer red VAs kick in, building the body of the smoke. By mid bowl, the earthy stoved and fired VAs are well up, and the spices are rather more than I’d expect from VAs alone, and there is musty/sour along with the sweet, and I keep thinking, Perique, and/or maybe Izmir. By now the celebrated strength of RY is apparent, and you’re smoking a serious, full, tobacco-rich blend that mellows somewhat as it deepens, to the end. The smoke itself is thick and creamy, fragrant and also spicy, in accord with the tastes, and I get Perique here, too, lots of real tobacco tastes and aromas. Strength is strong. Tastes are full. Room note is pleasant, particularly so if considering Perique. Aftertaste is aftermath/best of the smoke, and I find the whole experience very tasty, relaxing, and quite satisfying.

Fruity topping notwithstanding, Dunhill’s Royal Yacht is not aimed at beginners, and straight VA smokers may get slammed by it’s potency. This said, I highly recommend Royal Yacht to experienced VA/Per and KY lovers. YMMV, but IMO, this version is best fairly soon after it's opened, as it tends to flatten a little if it's left in a jar for long.

Pipe Used: various briars

Age When Smoked: STG, fresh to 1 year

Purchased From: Liberty Tobacco

Old6String Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Old6String (27)
Medium Mild Mild Pleasant

Nothing more to add than has already been expounded on. I simply am in love with RY. I remember though as a young pipe smoker trying to push this blend hard on an empty stomach; bad move. It smoked me the first time instead of me smoking it. I was sick boy let me tell you. Grew up alot since then and learned to respect this old timer; been good pals ever since!

Age When Smoked: Always a fresh tin

Purchased From: JR Cigar, Pipesandcigars.com

Similar Blends: Nothing compares in my honest opinion..

Epicur Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Epicur (18)
Strong None Detected Full Strong

I just had a few bowls of the "new" The Royal Yacht Mixture by Dunhill, which is now produced by Kohlhase and Kopp in Germany.

The 50g tin cost me 12,25 EUR (April 2014 in Germany). It is one of the more high priced tobaccos.

Opening the thin, I expected a fruity aroma. But I only smelled strong tobacco, almost like opening a carton of cigars -- nothing more, nothing less.

It is a standard mixture. Loading the pipe, one match, maybe two, and you're good to go. No problems there. If you puff slowly, you always get a cool smoke throughout the whole bowl.

The tase is, at least in my opinion, very very similar to the J. F. Germain & Son Brown Flake pipe tobacco. There is only a very, amost undetectable sweetness in the background. It is much more earthy, tart, dry almost bitter, even smoked with discipline very cool (just to keep it glowing). Personally, I miss depth, and of course a bit more of sweetness and also the considered fruity aroma (btw I dindn't expect an aromatic here!).

The roomnote is strong and considered by non-smokers as "Oh no, you smoke this one only outside!!!".

It is a good quality tobacco. I guess if you like e.g. Germain's Brown Flake or maybe Peterson's Irish Flake, you definitely should try this one. If you're more a friend of matured sweet virginias with a slight aroma of apricots, plums or raisins, this tobacco is maybe not the right one for you.

Pipe Used: different unfiltered pipes

oldcodger Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
oldcodger (71)
Strong Mild to Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

Dunhill Royal Yacht is a pipe tobacco unlike any other. Composed of Virginia, the cut is a small ribbon, almost shag, and the color dark.

Royal Yacht has a distinct flavoring added. I am not sure just what goes in it, but I would suggest that plum, chocolate, and tonquin are all present. Is this a semi-aromatic or a light aromatic? I rate it a light aromatic, although the flavoring does not obscure the tobacco taste by any means.

The room note is OK, and more that of a Virginia rather than an aromatic.

Royal Yacht is almost legendary for its nicotine kick, and some warn that it should not be smoked on an empty stomach. Personally, I am not overly sensitive to nicotine, and I can smoke it on an empty stomach. But those who do not tolerate high nicotine levels should be wary of this tobacco.

This is a somewhat pricey pipe tobacco. somewhat more expensive than most other Dunhills. I enjoy smoking it, although there are a number of Virginias I like better, and almost all of them are cheaper. Nevertheless I give Royal Yacht three stars, and a recommended rating, for it is a most unusual smoke, and it is highly favored by a significant number of pipe smokers. Are you going to be one of that group? You will never know unless you try it.

SmileyOrb Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SmileyOrb (15)
Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I hadn't realised it's been over 3 years ago since my last review..How time flies!

I purchased a fresh tin today from JJ Fox London, and bagged one of their own house pipes too (straight billiard).

This is a lovely rich full tobacco, and my my my, Nicotine delight too! My palate has matured and this is a easy smoke. But, take it long and gentle...If you puff like a chimney it will whip you. Take it easy, muse on its varied taste between straight VA and a deeper coffee taste...It's a full tobacco and suggest, like many other users have, to compliment it with an after dinner meal. It's a great evening smoke. I like to smoke slowly and it's the best way with this. You need time, chill and make sure your sitting down! It's a luxurious smoke, and great for relaxing and contemplating. I would not smoke this through the day though. I see it as a dessert, or more like a tobacco equivalent of a full pudding! I recommend this to folk who want something rich, luxurious and...full on. The reviews are splendid here so recommend a good browse. Best stored in a sealed jar to keep it fresh. Room note seems accepted from non-smokers, but good for on the porch watching the world go by. Lovely!

Original review 2014-03-23

Like many reviewers have said, this is a fine tobacco. I would advise it's for the evening with a Cognac. The tobacco hit is very strong for me. But the flavour is wonderful. Very enjoyable from a great name. I have this when I need a relaxing lift and is a stand by for when I'm in the right kind of mood.

Please forgive me when I say this is for the experienced pipe smoker. So take it easy!

Pipe Used: Dr Plumb

Age When Smoked: 45

Purchased From: Canterbury tobacconist.

Piepensmöker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Piepensmöker (17)
Strong Mild to Medium Full Tolerable

An old, yet great mixture. I only sampled the Orlik version and it is a perfect bed time smoke. Strong in nicotine and less sweet, but full of flavor and produces thick pillows of smoke. Airing out is a must, but then it satisfies to great extent. Can bite, but is generally well behaved. Smoke it in a Dunhill to get the full Dunhill experience.

DrDyson Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DrDyson (129)
Strong Mild to Medium Full Pleasant

This is a strongish Virginia blend with a rich and full-bodied flavour that in my experience lasts all the way down the bowl. There is a casing, but I've no idea what it is. The domestic critics don't mind the room-note, though, which is a definite point in its favour. The ribbon-cut is easy to pack, but I find that it does need quite a few relights if you smoke it straight out of the tin. A little drying, though not too much, is a good idea. Pure quality, as you would expect of a Dunhill blend; and I don't notice that it has changed much in its several incarnations. I do find, though, that a bowl of it doesn't last as long as I would like. It has to be said also that it gets very hot rather easily: this is a tobacco that needs to be taken slowly (and not allowed to get too dry). Not an all day, every day smoke then, but one to be savoured of an evening in a comfortable chair. Not quite four stars in my opinion, but an easy three.

Royal Yacht was apparently one of Georges Simenon's favourites, and he was a REAL pipe smoker!

Strong Medium Medium to Full Tolerable

I wasn't too crazy about the taste of this, but I wasn't repulsed by it either. What I did enjoy was the nicotine strength that it delivers for a straight va of such a light color. This is one thing I really enjoy about Dunhill tobaccos. The nic is always spot on to leave you properly sated.

This does not rise to a level of 4 stars for me, but I easily recommend it to anyone who enjoys VAs, but wants more strength. The topping does seem to dissapate enough to let the VAs come through so I would not call this a heavy aromatic.

BatmanPipes Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BatmanPipes (9)
Mild to Medium Very Strong Extra Full Very Strong

Why: You have heard about it but are afraid to do it because you know it will automatically replace several other brands you have with many tins of this instead. It wins both as a top Virginia and a pipe tobacco. It scores tops on nearly every feature. You haven’t experienced a Virginia like it before.

Looks: The tin is unmissable. Yellow background with red foreground and fancy font. The tobacco is dark for a Virginia almost like a Cavendish or burley, but the texture is much lighter. There is a faint purple shine to it all. Smells deep spicey. All of this is because of the plum flavouring treatment.

Using?: If you have never seen a full pipe bowl top turn into a perfect coin shape of ash that just slides off, then Royal Yacht is the way. It burns perfectly. It goes straight into smolder. It never flames up. It never goes out very quickly. If it vanishes too fast, it’s for obvious reasons. You’re enjoying it. Quite smokey. Musty spicey plum taste and room note. The burn is unique. A small hot central heat that effortlessly smolders all the tobacco in concentric rings around it. Looks like a hot car lighter dimming out!

Result: You can learn a lot from this tobacco namely because it sets a benchmark. Other mixes may do better than it in some areas but usually not in the others like the Royal Yaught way. Also realizing it’s only a Virginia with some flavouring treatment doing all this is astonishing. It tastes spicey all the way through.

Conclusion: Dunhill has a tobacco that undermines all its other brands. I can easily see people dispense with Early Morning Pipe and Night Cap and use this instead and maybe even for the whole day as some believers have turned to it. The only reason I will still use Early Morning and Night Cap is because Royal Yacht can be a little heavier for some people. I can safely say that Royal Yacht has easily become a bulk order to replace several other well known brands in my collection. That’s how good it really is.

Pipe Used: Peterson Dracula 68

Similar Blends: Dunhill Early Morning and Night Cap..

Napping Puppy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Napping Puppy (25)
Very Strong Medium to Strong Medium Pleasant

This tobacco is very delicious in the morning, especially after having a loaded breakfast e.g. eggs and sausages and fruits. But easy on the fruits, because Royal Yacht implies enough fruity sweet treasures. This is not an aromatic tobacco whatsoever, and if some insist on calling it aromatic, then be my guest and send me all of your tins. The Virginia leaves used in this remarkable blend are outstanding. The more you store it and age it, the better it would taste. An excellent way to start your day.

Haddock Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Haddock (6)
Strong Mild Full Pleasant

Want Virginias?? Want sweet delicious tobacco? Want zero bite and high quality tobaccos?

Then buy Dunhill RY, the smoke is cool and thick. I love the plum/fig taste there is, its not very much but just so you can taste it.

Pipe Used: Corn Cob

Age When Smoked: New from tin.

Purchased From: Danish pipe shop.

Doctor Grabow Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Doctor Grabow (6)
Strong Mild Medium Pleasant

The virginia's are medium dark tasting. The topping seems very close to Perique. It even gives that spicey feeling in the nose like Perique; very good! The tobacco seems to have a bit of a rough edge that I think comes from the addition of the casing which can be tamed with slow puffing. The nicotine is high, but I don't consider it stronger than Peterson's Irish Flake or Samuel Gawith's 1792 Flake. The easy to smoke ribbon cut does make this blend quick to deliver its potency.

Pipe Used: Doctor Grabow Grand Duke

gahdzila Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
gahdzila (60)
Strong Mild to Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Perfect moisture level right out of the tin. I've smoked it in cobs, clays and briars. It's great in a cob....better in a briar, but it really shines in a dedicated briar. Yes, I like Royal Yacht enough that I have a pipe dedicated to it. The tobacco flavor is rich and full. The aromatic flavors I get are raisins, figs, and dates. The topping is easy to pick up, but not overpowering or cloying at all. Just the right amount. Subtle sweetness, but I wouldn't call it a sweet blend. Great body, mouthfeel and smoke volume, and burns great for me.

Pipe Used: Sasieni 4 dot

Noctivagant Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Noctivagant (9)
Medium to Strong Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

First of all, I'm in agreement with JimInks here, that this blend was intended to taste as though it contained perique without actually spending the money on perique. It does taste similar to a VaPer in some ways, especially the retrohale.

Above all, this is a really fine tobacco. I regretfully am too young to have tried original Dunhill or later Murray's versions, as they sound as though they were really superior tobaccos. This tobacco seems to inspire real allegiance or hatred in excess of any other tobacco I know of, Pipestud, for one is enamored with it. But you need only look at Eulenburg's review to see that its existence really vexes some. I'd say I'm in the mostly-enamored camp, though I think smoking this with some age on it will firmly put me fully in their ranks.

Royal Yacht is comprised of fine Virginias, there are nice flavors of grass and hay, along with some citrus and bolder stewed fruits. The topping is placed with a steady hand and is maybe slightly more or less than I would prefer. That is an unclear statement, but it skirts a line where it's not really obvious what's going on with this tobacco. Suffice to say, it's a simple tasting flavor that works incredibly well with the Virginias and adds some pepper to the retrohale. To me, it smokes similar to a bowl of fresh from the tin, undried (read: too wet for most) Samuel Gawith Cabbie's Mixture.

Royal Yacht is touted for its nic hit among many. I have to say, I'm somewhat disappointed in this department. I'm a former and still occasional cigarette smoker, and smoking a pipe with the Englishes I generally enjoy just does not scratch that nic itch completely and keep me from a cigarette later. Royal Yacht was supposed to knock me over with nicotine. It doesn't. I can feel that it's strong, just not cigarette strong. Now, if you smoke this in a large pipe or aren't used to strong cigarette nicotine, it very well may knock you on your ass, but hasn't done so to me yet.

One thing I should note, this tobacco, unlike many Virginias, really sours and grows harsh on a relight some of the time. It's probably a factor of the lack of proper drying and the topping in tandem. The room note is nice to tolerable, with a slight cigarette odor like a lot of Virginias. It smokes pretty cool, and even with my over eager puffing from time to time, hasn't bit me yet. This really is a tobacco everyone should try as it divides opinions so thoroughly. Nice for a change of pace for anyone who enjoys Virginia tobaccos, it really is unique. Also good for cravers of an easy smoking nicotine heavyweight (maybe a light-heavyweight). It's not something I smoke every day, but most days I get a bowl or two in when Latakia isn't calling me.

Highly recommended. This is to me a 3.5 star tobacco rounded up to 4.

Pipe Used: Comoy's prince, Nording apple, cob

Purchased From: Pipesandcigars.com

Sybariten Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sybariten (60)
Medium to Strong Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Edit: I am doing something that I rarely ever do - I am bumping this up to four stars. It has grown on me to the point where I can not find anything wrong with it, this is a perfect blend!

Original review I tend to favour bolder virginias, and as such this one hits the spot. The topping is light and even giving the smoker something similar to a VaPer without any added perique. Rich, strong and beautiful, what's not to like?

Taste: A deep taste of raisins and damp forest (dirt and moss) combined with spice is what I first discover. About a third through the bowl a bread and leather nuance starts making its presence known. I find myself thinking that I am smoking a really good VaPer, but where is that plum topping? Then I realize that there is no perique in this blend, those hints of raisins and dried fruit are all due to the topping, and it works reall well! The fact that it is due to the topping means that it is evenly spread through the bowl, minimizing the interplay between flavours and somewhat making the blend less complex, it makes for one even experience. And it is all good.

Mechanics: Ribbon cut, ready to smoke out of the tin, easy to pack. No bite, medium to strong nicotine.

Blocka33 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Blocka33 (6)
Medium to Strong Mild Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

Hello sailor

Welcome aboard.

I recently acquired a few tins as I had been wanting to try this mercurial blend for a while.

On opening the tin I was greeted with a wonderful bouquet of fruitcake/Christmas pudding.......plumes raisins port cognac and caramel.

It burns true and produces a generous portion of smoke. It is easy to pack and easy to smoke.

It is an honest smoke that delivers a constant flavour through out the bowl.

Virginias on the darker side keep the citrus away but the flavour remains bright.

I am a VA / VAPER smoker by and large and appreciate the subtleties this has to offer without getting overly complex.

A generous portion of nicotine awaits you without being over the top

Enjoyed it immensely

Purchased From: Racine and Laramies San Diego

Uncle Al Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Uncle Al (8)
Strong Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Royal Yacht is a delicate, no tongue bite, narrow but nuanced flavour range Virginia. The plum topping almost isn’t there. One of the great tobaccos, what I love about Royal Yacht is the way it sneaks up and delivers an unexpected hit. Excellent tobacco which deserves to be savoured slowly, because it offers two different experiences if smoked moist or dry. Wonderful!

Moist, straight from the tin and separate the tobacco in a mixing bowl. Don’t rub it out, just separate. Gravity fill and gently press. Perhaps a few pieces cut real small and sprinkled on top to better insure and even light. As the tobacco is moist you’ll need the space that loose packing provides. Then sit back, light up, tamp down, relight and experience how this beautifully seductive mixture just delicately and elegantly satisfies. And the slower and more gently you take it, the bigger the exemplary hit! Each excellent bowl of this refined and quality Virginia is precious and deserves to be savoured. I know I do. You should too.

Purchased From: 4Noggins

Ahmad Othman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ahmad Othman (46)
Medium to Strong Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

If there is ever an apocalyptic event and I need to stash on one or two tobacco blends.. I'd go like crazy for Royal Yacht..It is grand in every aspect.. from the very welcoming tin aroma.. to the lighting flavour and the after taste.. slow burning a... nd mellow with a rich aroma and flavour.. Decent nicotine content. Overall an excellent experience.

Pipe Used: Peterson System Ebony XL315, Peterson Dracula 999

Age When Smoked: 2 years old

Purchased From: Local B&M

jvnshr Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jvnshr (23)
Medium to Strong Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Smoking Dunhill Royal Yacht is like smoking fine ribbon cuts of gold that have been grated from a gold bar which has been manufactured by mother nature. Highly Recommended to Virginia lovers.

Alfonso Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Alfonso (3)
Strong Mild Full Tolerable

Awesome and robust VAs, subtle plum topping, good nic-hit, perfect moisture and burning qualities... An extremely good smoke. One of my favourite Dunhills.

Excellent fresh from the tin, but it ages well too.

Pipe Used: Briars, Cobs, Meerschaum

Chimney1966 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Chimney1966 (5)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

For most Dunhill Royal Yacht seems to be something you either like ..or not... At least Josif Stalin liked it as his favourite pipe-weed. 'Uncle Joe' was also well known about his 'neglected' pipes (regarding maintaining/cleaning those pipes) after smoking his favourite Dunhill Royal Yacht pipe tobacco.

No wonder Stalin neglected cleaning process of his pipes.., ..based to what I found regarding Royal Yacht's nasty tendencies (but about that later in this review)

Tin aroma was typical for high quality Virginia blend, typical sweet hay-like with hint of lemon. I did not detect topping at this point at all... Moisture level was about perfect.

It packs easy, but has to be bit cautious not to pack it too tight.

Lights up easy (just like most Dunhill blends 'ready to smoke fresh from tin' ) with one flame.

Burning properties of Royal Yacht are excellent. First time I had quick 20 minutes smoke (with full bowl of RY in Peterson 303 system pipe) ..and I was bit surprised how quickly I had smoked it... And with one flame! I did not need to relight after tampering, it just kept going. As typical for most Virginia blends, tends to expand in bowl after first flame and needs tampering time to time while progress... But still, first bowl of Royal Yacht was a quick smoke, much quicker than my usual 40-50 minutes smokes... (so, ideal for those who want a quick smoke with proper hit of nicotine during lunchtime middle of the work day)

Only indication that I had smoked it bit too fast was the soapy taste for about 7 seconds during middle of the bowl. So, in total experience was strongly on positive side regarding burning.

Second time I loaded my Dunhill 554 F/T Group 3 Round Rhodesian full with Royal Yacht, and again, a pleasant smoke but I was able to make it to last 40 minutes (same size bowl as in Peterson 303 System pipe) by buffing really slow...

So, Royal Yacht tends to be bit quick burning was my observation... It is a pleasant smoke, does not bite and does not taste strong and still nicotine kick is proper. (acts bit more like an energy drink, not 'intoxicating' as some might assume) It could even be a morning smoke (as I had it) but I would avoid this in evening (as I would not feel sleepy after smoking this stuff...)

So, regarding smoking Royal Yacht.., it is 4/4 stars BUT...

Yes, now comes 'the notorious' BUT...

Rest of the tin... I smoked while using Missouri Meerschaum corn cob pipe... (what a perfect combination, Missouri Meerschaum corn cob pipe with 6mm Savinelli balsa filter, and Dunhill Royal Yacht Virginia blend) Why in earth I ended up to that combination..?

Because after experiences about cleaning carefully my Peterson 303 system pipe and about cleaning carefully my Dunhill 554 F/T I understood why Stalin neglected cleaning process...

Dunhill Royal Yacht (unlike other Dunhill blends) is really as bad as all worst aromatic drugstore tobaccos in tarnishing the pipe (with oily substance which even greased my stainless steel tamper in way I had to wash it with alcohol...) Oily goopy residual substance really tarnishes about everything it gets into contact with...

And to make it worse, that oily residue stinks like an old ashtray. (if it would smell like thick old Scandinavian Pine tar it would be OK, but stink like an old ashtray is bit too much... ) Regarding that residue.., Royal Yacht acts like true aromatic, only suitable for corn cob pipe...

Because what Royal Yacht does to pipes: 2/4 stars That was 'the anti-thesis' of this review...

Conclusion: Dunhill Royal Yacht is liked and disliked, but it is worth of try I sincerely do recommend everyone try this blend.., BUT don't use a pipe which will be difficult to clean of that nasty residue this blend will create... Corn cob pipe is 'an ideal choice of tool' to explore this tobacco. (if corn cob pipe becames too much like Stalin's pipes, just get rid of it ..and buy a new one... )

Now has to remember.., my experience regarding Dunhill Royal Yacht was based to 'fresh from tin' loads...

If let the tin load of Royal Yacht dry completely and then smoke it slowly, it might cause less of that awful oily residue.

And as all Dunhill blends age well, perhaps Royal Yacht stored 3 or 5 or even 7 years might bring entirely different end result... I did store another tin of Royal Yacht for several years keep, and I will update results 'in distant future' what happened with that tin...

Till then.., in my scale, with good's and bad's, Dunhill Royal Yacht is 3 out of 4 stars blend...

Pipe Used: Peterson 303, Dunhill 554 F/T, MM corn cob

Pipeologist Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipeologist (22)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Very Pleasant

I keep thinking that I have found the best tobacco money can buy.I have tried many and am now smoking my first tin of Royal Yacht.Put a match to the first bowl and wow,as you yanks say ,this is something else.So easy to pack,so easy to light,so delicious to smoke.Virginia,no doubt, but a very high quality Virginia..not so easy to come by.I just love it.Shame that I only have one tin,but will be getting more when I get back to London,albeit at a high price.If you like a really luxurious Virginia,then this is for you ,I promise.Buy this and enjoy......1 week later....ok.everyone is looking for their perfect pipe smoke....no such thing exists.I am sitting here in India with a bowl of Royal Yacht and having smoked scores of different tobaccos,some good,some awful,as is the case with most consumables,I cannot think,for the life of me any other tobacco ,other than Penzance,which is now only a memory,anything better and more satisfying than this blend.So,why do I keep searching for something that can give any more pleasure than this .I am totally baffled,but being the perfectionist seeker,I will not give up .p.s.Its only a good smoke...get real!

Pipe Used: Dunhill,of course

Age When Smoked: 1 month

GabrielCRT Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
GabrielCRT (94)
Strong Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

Royal Yacht is a favorite of mine. It's not an everyday smoke but when I'm in the mood for a full strength Virginia blend this always hits the spot. I have considered that there may be some Perique in here, even though it's not listed, which would help account for the strength as well as some of the natural plum flavor. The topping is conservatively applied and adds a wonderful fruit/plum flavor. The Virginias are also subtly sweet and grassy on their own. The room note can be a little sharp or even cigarette-like but the topping helps push it to tolerable. I prefer to smoke it in a small bowl to manage the strength.

Pipe Used: Briars, Corn cobs, Meerschaums

Age When Smoked: Fresh to a few months

Similar Blends: Sort of similar to University Flake's topping.

SmokeyM Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SmokeyM (11)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

There. Now you've done it. Tobaccoreviews.com and you guys reviewers...

Reading about it, I just had to try it. Bought it, sniffed it, smoked the first bowl. And then the next. I don't buy the "if there could only be one tobacco then...", because how could you make do with just one. However having said that...

This is a very very great tobacco from the first bowl. It smells great, smokes light and fresh but ever so satisfying. I think a lot has been written about this better than I could do, but I do want to state my initial findings: this is one of the best tobaccos I smoked! I can't do the cellaring (love to smoke them too much) but I do want to have some spare of this weed...

Thanks a lot for getting me hooked on a great tobacco, let's keep it lit!

>>Update: This tobacco keeps coming back in my rotation. Fermented well, smoking great, even in rotation with dunhill latakia blends tasteful enough. Very well rounded, a product of highly skilled blenders.

Pipe Used: Genod, Chacom Match, Peterson

mangelli Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mangelli (1)
Medium to Strong Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

Dunhill makes excellent tobaccos. The Royal Yacht is the crown jewel of Dunhill in my opinion. The overall experience of this tobacco is rich and elegant. This was one of the first tobacco's I ever smoked and now as an experienced smoker, I still find myself reaching for it. Enjoy!

Pipe Used: Briar

Jacinto Cupboard Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jacinto Cupboard (180)
Very Strong Medium to Strong Medium to Full Tolerable

On first opening this baccy gave me a blast of sour milk, which diminished considerably on repeat openings. I assume this was the product of some significant fermentation tho my tin is only 3 years old. Perhaps this is part of the 'careful conditioning' the Virginias undertake prior to blending. Subsequently the tin note settled down to a vaguely vanilla aroma (tonquin?) and something cassis, blackberry or plum.

The baccy itself is a short cut ribbon of mostly mid browns. There is no light leaf. My tin had a fair amount of twiggy material. It is easy to pack and light.

For the first part of the bowl this is one of the smoothest tobaccos I have ever put in a pipe. Smooth as silk, gently sweet, cool burning and no bite whatever. There is an interesting pepper on the nose and the sourness is almost under the radar. If perique is not part of the mix here then someone has done a VERY good job of fermenting Virginias to mimic it.

The transition of the tobacco as one goes down the bowl is amazing. It builds in strength and spiciness until at the end it is a true nicotine warhorse. It also produces huge plumes of smoke. The last third is full of plums, stewed prunes and pepper.

This is a quality aromatic with a punch.

Pipe Used: Lepeltier

Joeray Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Joeray (61)
Medium to Strong Mild Medium Pleasant

Had not good impression when i smoke this stuff except have a good tin aroma. The cut is good and with nice moisture level, easy to pack and not hard to light. The problem for me is this stuff not fit as early smoke, sometimes when i woke up i ju=directly washing my face and my mouth, make a coffee and then smoking a pipe without breakfast and this stuff is not fit for that habbit, little bit too strong. But for the pleasure that had given by this stuff, i put a high rating on it. The plum flavor is so nice to smell and the sweetness is just right portion for me, not ovewhalming. The smoke is quite great at my Stanwell 11 Black Diamond, and not get trouble when i puff it.

Pipe Used: Stanwell 11 Black Diamond

Age When Smoked: 1 year

Lonesomepiper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Lonesomepiper (3)
Strong None Detected Full Tolerable

Very sweet and tasty. I keep smoking it a bit and putting the pipe aside so that I can think about the sweetness of this tobacco. While puffing I can also taste a special spicy taste. It's very pleasing. I bought an old two tin set of the "tobacco collection" box offered by Dunhill around approx. 1979-1980. I'm very glad I did it. The tin aroma when I opened this old tobacco was so incredibly fruity and good that I couldn't put it down for about a minute. I kept coming back to open it and smell it again. It was a very good experience. This is my first time with an aged tobacco. I wish I had bought the other 2 tins they had available. But when I called the B&M to do it they told me it was all gone.

Pipe Used: Neerup Classic Sandblast

Age When Smoked: 30+ years

Purchased From: Tabacaria Nacional

L'Italiano Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
L'Italiano (170)
Very Strong Strong Full Pleasant to Tolerable

First of all we have to distinguish between natural aromatic tobaccos (only tobacco) and tobaccos with flavoring (tobacco + flavors). In the same way we have to distinguish between tobaccos with natural flavoring (natural flavors) and tobaccos with artificial flavoring (artificial and chemical flavors). Sadly, Dunhill Royal Yacht belong to the last type. It is straight Virginia of course, but there is a lot of casing and it is not a pure tobacco. Moreover it is not only natural flavoring, but also artificial flavoring. Openin the tin the scent is wonderful, the tobacco is nutty, with a white chocolate smell. However this Virginia is very very strong and the real taste is not of pure Virginia. Chemical additives are add, put on top. If you like pure tobacco, this is not for you. I regret, for me is only a star: my mark is 5-.

Pipe Newb Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipe Newb (49)

Tin note is heavy on tart sour apple, reminding me of the Apple Plug my dad chewed out in the field, that I was dumb enough as a kid to take a bite of thinking it was a candy bar(!). Caramel is also present, among the apple and cured tobacco leaf smells out of the freshly opened tins.

A note about the cut of this tobacco... one of the prettiest ribbon cuts I've ever seen, to rival halfzwhare shag rolling tobacco, very uniform and fine.

Char and initial draw is very cigar like in the room note and flavor. Incredibly rich, without any stunning complexity, I'm picking up leather and hazelnut, as I would with a cuban or honduran cigar leaf tobacco. I find it odd that I tasted a hint of a topping in Early Morning Pipe (which apparently doesn't have a topping) but didn't taste one here, which according to reviews does actually have a topping. I'm getting the richest, slightly sweet, slightly sour apple smoke I've ever had, but no real "topped" flavor. That smoke though... such magnificent clouds of billowing blue smoke with zero bite or bitterness, just really true Virginia flavor that reminded me more than once of a very good cigar.

Organic heavy whipping cream has no complexity, no subtle nuances, it's simply rich, silky, smooth. Royal Yacht, much in the same way, does not present any sort of subtlety or complexity. It's just rich, silky, and smooth. If anything could be considered subtle, it's the so-called "plum" topping which really just contributes and never stands out (even enough to identify). This is a fantastic benchmark for any blend that's going for smooth, and pure smoking pleasure.

Pipe Used: londonaire bent billiard

Age When Smoked: Unknown

Purchased From: Pipesandcigars.com

CTS Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CTS (136)
Medium to Strong Mild Full Pleasant

Buttery smooth sweet Virginia. Burns clean and smooth on one light. Black pepper notes on the retrohale. No complaints. Full smoke, full flavor. Absolutely delicious when sipped. 4+*.

Pipe Used: Big Ben Cambridge, Peterson XL 315

Age When Smoked: Undated tin; bought 1 month ago

Purchased From: CI

Don Jefe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Don Jefe (7)
Strong Mild Full Tolerable

This is a strong, full blend (at least for me).

The aroma in the tin is sweet and reminds me of well fermented long cut chewing tobacco with a hint of raisin.

The room note was tolerable (but not preferred) by bystanders. I find the taste to be mostly a sweet, strong tobacco flavor. This is not a bad thing, as long as you are looking for this.

This tobacco burns very well and creates mountains of dense smoke, even smoked slowly, which I like.

A decent blend, but not recommended for beginners or those who, say, could not take down a medium/full power cigar.

Edit: After aging a month, I tried this again to see if it was any better. It was not. If fact, I noticed how really one dimensional it is. This could be a good tobacco to blend with some other tobacco to add a little more body, but life is too short to smoke this by itself.

Pipe Used: MM Country Gent

Age When Smoked: new, 1 month

dokuhebi Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
dokuhebi (4)
Strong Very Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

Other reviews have already mentioned the high nicotine content of the Royal Yacht, and I would agree that if you haven't yet built up a tolerance, the nicotine buzz can be overwhelming, to the point where it can make novices ill. However, for an experience smoker who is looking for a good strong smoke on a winter evening, this is a good one.

PAIRING: For my personal pairing preferences, I would choose a sweet cognac or bourbon. There's little to no actual flavor in the tobacco, so it's partner would need to be relied on to provide it, but the tobacco has a body to it that would overwhelmed by anything less.

ROOM NOTE: My wife says it reminds her of incense in an Orthodox church service. "A spicy wood smell. Not fruity at all."

baccythrasher Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
baccythrasher (3)

Nice, dry smoke hits the nose like a good cigar. Burns evenly but hot. The cut is great for packing and has a perfect moisture level. A good smoke when your working on a project or wandering around. Not so complex that it demands your attention, not so strong that you feel you need a break from it. Just a good smoke to pass time.

Duke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Duke (41)
Strong Medium Full Very Pleasant

Royal Yacht has become my constant tobacco for a good while. I've always smoked it over years, but not as consistently as today. I've always smoked Dunhill tobaccos due to several points: quality, availability and strength. In winter I'll smoke Night Cap, but for the rest of the seasons Royal Yacht. Unlike some pigtails or Irish Flake, Royal Yacht, with its abundant topping(IMHO), doesn't clobber me every smoke. I feel I'm more in control of the nicotine throttle with RY. Is it the same as Murray's? Not so much. I remember the Murray being a much finer cut and more heavily topped. As for the topping, I could care less what's in the formula, because that full tobacco flavor still comes through and doesn't appear to ghost a pipe. This is no pansy tobacco and thank God it doesn't smell of vinegar.

Kashmir Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kashmir (20)
Strong Medium to Strong Full Tolerable

Dunhill's Royal Yacht (new Orlik version) is a very smooth smoking VA/PER, without the Perique! It comes as aged, apparently pressed, fermented slightly, then ribboned tobacco.

Upon popping the lid on the 50g tin, I get nasal quaffs reminiscent of dried figs and raisins, with a sweet spiciness. The color is an even, uniform dark brown (not black), with very little if any hint of lighter ribbons, as might be detected in other VA/PER blends. Upon charing a strong sweet taste develops, and at mid-bowl, one has comfortaby settled in for a sweet Virginia smoke. No Latakia here.

Although reviewers mention some sort of casing, I detected none, and instead was reminded on simple, pure un-adultered Virginia tobaccos. The Burley is also detectable, brining a "brightness" to the deep sweetness of the Virginias. I do think some fermentation went into this, and although it states flavoring as "Coffee, Brandy and Plum", my take on this is that these are volatiles that are developed during the short fermentation.

In many respects, this tobacco reminds me of Escudo, put out by Peter Stokkebye, although that comes in coin form, and involves Perique as a condiment. The smoke is on the high side regarding nicotine, and as such was a bit much for me. Not that I am a wimp in these matters, but I think its a bit on the edge.

I would rate this 2 out of 4 stars, reserving 3 for Escudo, and 4 for my best English and Balkan blends. I used to love VA/PERs but over the years have started to prefer the inherent complexities of Latakia, that I miss when smoking VA/PERs.

Also, the high N content for me brought it down for me. Nightcap also has a high N content, but Royal Yacht has for me about twice the content. And after a bowl, I am seeing stars!

Lastly, as is the case with so many of these latest Dunhill reincarnations by Orlick, there is a chemical taste that I can't quite place, but it seems to be present in a great many of the Orlick re-issues of Dunhill (only it Early Morning Pipe and London Mixture it seems to be absent). Perhaps its a Burley additive to generate bulk in the blends, or its some sort of anti-fungal or preservative of some sort, but whatever it is, for my palate it is really discernible.

What with all the fine blends available from GL Pease, Russ Ouellette of Hearth & Home, not to mention Cornell & Diehl,Gawith Hoggarth & Co., Esoterica, McClelland etc. I simply can not bring myself to allocate 4 stars for these Orlick DK re-issues of the once famed Dunhill brand. Sorry, but that's my two cents. See my review on Dunhill MM 965 for more along these lines.

Anyhoo, happy smoking to one and all.

Fazby Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Fazby (66)
Strong Mild to Medium Medium to Full Tolerable

The first tin, I enjoyed. I bought another and it was too much.

The flavor is enjoyable, but one can get tired of it. The strength can surprise you if you puff too hard.

This seems to be loved or hated - I've felt both ways. So, perhaps one should try it to see...

fdcl50 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
fdcl50 (9)
Strong Extremely Mild Full Pleasant to Tolerable

High quality Virginia tobacco in a user friendly short ribbon cut. Moisture level spot on from the tin. Packs well and burns beautifully to the bottom of the bowl. Should be smoked slowly to enjoy the strong flavors. I did not notice the flavoring many have noted but what I taste seemed to me to be the natural flavors of the various Virginia leaf which constitute this blend. The nicotine level is high and if you are not a fan of the slight “buzz” it imparts you should stay away from the royal yacht. If you want to sit down and enjoy a slow leisurely smoke with a satisfying tobacco then I would highly recommend the royal yacht.

Pipe Used: Castello bent billiard

Purchased From: Cigars international

michaelc Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
michaelc (40)
Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant

Very good Virginia blend. Sweet sugar taste that you would want from a true blend of Virginia tobaccos. Nice fine ribbon cut leaf with a scent of grassy hay in my baggy. This was gifted to me by a pipe smoker I met while playing "Words with Friends." He sent me a box with three pounds of various tobacco blends. I will be enjoying more of these and giving my opinion of their merits. I will put this down on my list for future purchases.

Pipe Used: Road Town bent billiard

Age When Smoked: 8 years, a gift from a friend

adam543 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
adam543 (5)
Medium to Strong Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Lets start by saying that this tobacco comes on dry side in ribbon form. Because of that I pack it not too tight and smoke slowly to fully enjoy it. The flavors are not very intense and it can be advantage or disadvantage, depending on how you look at it. Somehow you feel that it is a serious stuff, maybe the nicotine helps?

Virginias are not too sweet, they are rather earthy and bready and there is a little bit of plum flavor. For some reason I also get cigar notes. Even with the small sip you get a nice volume of smoke. It needs care and attention, it is not a tobacco for mindless puffing in my opinion. Without filter it can be slightly bitter from time to time. With a filter it becomes amazingly smooth. Conclusion? It is a very nice stuff, with strength, body and true pleasure of smoking a tobacco. Certainly it is not for everyone but which tobacco is?

Danno44 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Danno44 (8)

I've been sitting on a few tins and decided after 1 year of age to finally try it. Especially, with at the time of this review, that the Dunhill blends are going away...again. If this does occur and if it turned out I loved the blend I would still have time to cellar some. The cut is the typical Dunhill, a nice ribbon, very easy to pack and moisture content right out of tin was perfect. The tin note reminded me of a cross of Elizabethan Mixture and Early Morning Pipe with a little more fruit like raisin aroma. A little citrusy/grassy and a little spice also is there. Lights very easy. The smoke is medium all around for me, flavor, taste and nicotine. However, the nic hit can a little more than medium, especially on empty stomach, but not unpleasant. The Virginia's come through nicely with a light grassy taste I get more of a raisin and spice flavor in the smoke. It tastes close to how it smells in the tin to me. It is a nice richer type of smoke, but nothing that knocked my socks off frankly. It's good and understand the following. I have 3 tins cellared and will likely not add to it. It certainly is nothing like I have tried so far, so not currently aware of a true match at this time. So if you try it and like you should stock up "just in case". For me it is a good smoke, but at this time I am in the "smoke what I have and not cellar" camp.

Pipe Used: Briar,MM Cob,Baki Author Meer

Age When Smoked: 1 year

TW Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TW (34)
Medium Very Mild Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

Royal Yacht, a name intended to conjure up their Royal Highnesses touring the world aboard a substantial luxury steamship in the company of impeccably uniformed genteel and cultured Naval officers and disciplined, respectful seamen in the 1900s.

Well, what it actually is is a brown/red Virginia blend with a hint of plum and maybe tonquin. It's not a bad blend at all, and easily smokeable all day. I don't understand why it has a reputation as strong in nictoine of flavour because compared to most twists and many flakes or even ribbon cuts and shags it simply isn't.

A pleasant, very polite, milder and more genteel version of Gawith and Hogarth's Dark Birdseye shag really.

toddsmith7378 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
toddsmith7378 (32)
Very Strong Mild Full Pleasant

I taste bright spicy Virginia at a really high quality level of tobacco. I typically like to savor my pipe tobacco's flavor. My choice type of smoke is Frog Morton Across the Pond with the subdued mellower Syrian Latakia, so I'm used to just savoring flavor. Can't say I was used to being slapped upside the noggin with Nicotene when I boarded the Yacht. Gotta be careful taking that savoring approach on this ship. My first bowls got me a bit light headed. Had to head back to shore due to sea sickness. That being said, I was just caught off guard with this type of smoke.

On about the 4th day and 5th bowl or so, I learned what to expect on this cruise. I keep a smaller bowl and don't pound down puffs for just taste. Yes, it tastes good, but I really have to slow down my cadence It's ok to stretch the bowl out a bit more. A little goes a long way with this baccy. A measured approach is slowing down and not hitting so much or smoking so fast that the Nicotene overwhelms. Once I got a gauge on dialing in my puff patterns to fit this tobacco, it became a smooth and pleasurable ride.

I'd recommend this smoke to some, but I'm not sure everyone would call this a superstar. 3 stars.

Pipe Used: Peterson, Kaywoodie

Age When Smoked: 2017

Purchased From: Tobacco Store

Lazarus77 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Lazarus77 (87)
Medium Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Unique tobacco. Its not the best and will not be my favorite, but unique. I cant remember something similar to it. Medium in strength, with a bit plum flavoring and almost full in taste. Cool, dry smoke, no chance of tongue bite. Not an all day smoke for sure, but repeatable during the week or month. I bought 5 tins for my cellar incase if Dunhill tobacco will disappear. 4 big stars

Purchased From: pfeifendepot.de

Similar Blends: No similar tobacco for this....

PhantomWolf Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PhantomWolf (38)
Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

The nicotine is strong with this one. Good luck finding a review stating otherwise. If you are new to smoking, you may find yourself dizzy after a bowl. I recently gave up cigarettes after 15-20 years of smoking, so the nicotine is not a big deal for me. I will add that I'm puffing this blend heavily, as I wanted to really get the flavours down for the review- In doing so, I have admittedly gotten a little light headed myself. haha

Sweet and grassy Virginia with a unique topping. The tin note actually smells like under-ripe tomatoes to me. Supposedly the topping is plum, but I do not quite get that. I get raisin and a kind of dark fruit with a kind of sweet sun-dried tomato taste always in the forefront.

I would recommend this blend to seasoned smokers, lovers or VA-Aromatics, and those who are simply bored or curious. It isn't to my specific palate, but it is definite quality tobacco and a unique experience.

Pipe Used: Bjarne Viking Skagen, Virgin

Age When Smoked: Fresh, air-dried prior to packing.

Purchased From: PipesAndCigars.com

BriarWoody Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BriarWoody (33)
Medium to Strong Very Mild Full Tolerable

It cracks me up when I read threads online from smokers looking for a strong aromatic and posters mention Royal Yacht. This isn't even close to an aromatic. It's more like a stout VAPer. I swear there's Perique or at least dark fired KY in this. The casing is typical Dunhill and I taste it in all their blends.

As a strong, English style Virginia, RY excels and delivers a nice, rich flavor and nic hit. It's not as ponderous as the G&H blends, but up there in nicotine content. The tin reads "exceedingly mellow," which is also hilarious. This is a powerhouse blend. Not recommended for beginners unless they are cigar smokers.

Pipe Used: Dunhill Group 3s.

Age When Smoked: New and aged tins

Phil Theharp Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Phil Theharp (16)
Medium Mild Medium Tolerable

Sweet. The note from the tin is plummy like a bit of Xmas is packed in there. The tobacco burns evenly but beware burning ash billowing from your pipe and burning holes in blankets and stuff. Got myself in trouble there and this is the only tobacco in my current rotation that does that. The room note has not excited comment either for or against and I guess it is anonymous. The taste is just sweet. Not in a cloying, syrupy way but just consistently. I can easily understand those who proclaim this a good all day smoke. RY is not demanding and will not surprise you with some intriguing new flavour coming out of left-field. A quality tobacco that would not dent my top 5 but I would be happy to have around when I want a fail-safe.

Age When Smoked: From the tin

Purchased From: Smokers Market, Derby

Similar Blends: Unique.

cynicomen Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
cynicomen (5)
Strong Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Tin: Some grassy and hay notes from the Virginias. The plum topping isn't tart, but dark and mellow like dried fruit. It also has a slight alcohol or liqueur scent to it. There are also some sweet and biscuit notes. One of my favourite tin notes.

Packing/lighting: No drying time is needed, and packs perfectly into the pipe. There are also some bigger, harder pieces of leaf similar to broken flake.

Strength: This blend is well known for its strength. As soon as you take a flame to it, you can feel the heaviness of the smoke. Like most strong blends, it hits the back of the throat and burns on the retrohale. This is definitely not an all day smoke. It's definitely a "sitting down" blend, and is great to kick back and relax in a churchwarden or your favourite pipe. The nicotine is very high and even experienced pipers will feel it. I've smoked 1792 many times without any issues and for some reason this hits me harder.

Taste/Room note: A straightforward Virginia taste, but richer and darker, with some earthy and leather notes. The topping gives it a mild fruitiness, and makes the room note more aromatic. The biscuit note from the tin also comes through slightly. The fruitiness of this blend will go perfectly with a sweet dessert wine like port or sherry.

Final thoughts: Truly a classic pipe tobacco which is loved and hated by many. As for me, I love it, and it is one of my favourite blends. It's powerful, and great for a relaxing after dinner or before bed smoke. Make sure you have a full stomach before setting sail on the yacht.

Like: Amazing Virginia blend. It can be summed up in two words. Powerful and aromatic.

Dislike: The heaviness of the smoke can sometimes be harsh, and it leaves the mouth dry.

Purchased From: mysmokingshop.co.uk

incendio Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
incendio (33)
Very Strong Extremely Mild Very Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

(Note, this is the "new" 2016 version. I've not sampled earlier offerings.) Being somewhat impulsive lately, I bought this blend thinking that an aromatic Dunhill offering would be interesting. Coming back to read the reviews more carefully, I realize that this blend isn't exactly what I'd imagined.

On first opening the tin, the tin aroma is bizarre. I couldn't begin to describe what it smelled like. It didn't smell "like" anything I could describe, nor was I sure if I liked or disliked it. A complete mystery to me. After breathing for a day, however, the tin aroma seems to have settled into something faintly resembling malt whiskey and light chocolate, or something in between. However, this aroma is very ghostly, only very faintly survives burning, and is only very faintly detectable in the room note.

The predominant note of this tobacco is just that - tobacco. I wouldn't say this is quite a matured virginia, since it is quite on the "green" side. In fact, I would venture to say that it's for this reason that so many people report unfavorable opinions of the room note from bystanders. If you don't like pure, unflavored, green tobacco, you won't like this room note. I wouldn't describe this blend as sweet by any means. It leaves the mouth quite dry, and leaves the scent of cigarette/rolling tobacco on the fingers (it's good - I keep smelling my fingers). The moisture was perfect on opening the tin, the blend lit perfectly and stayed lit well.

Since I hadn't read the review, I didn't realize how strong this blend is in terms of nicotine content. I promptly loaded a size 4 billiard and was taken aback. In my opinion this blend is best in slightly smaller, chimney billiards like those I use for my favorite virginias. Larger, wider bowls just burn too hotly, don't concentrate the flavors enough, and make the nicotine overwhelming. I think this might be why some reviewers find the blend rather dimensionless, but I believe the shape of the pipe ought to be adjusted to the blend accordingly.

I believe I've figured this blend out. This stuff is remarkably similar to Captain Earle's virginia component. Very strong and grassy. Reminded me of Honor Blend without the condimental tobaccos. I like Captain Earle's, so I am slowly warming up to Royal Yacht, but it isn't something I would smoke regularly. Only while sitting, puffing very slowly, and preferentially indoors where the subtleties of the blend are best appreciated without being carried off by the wind.

Pipe Used: billiards size 4 and below

Similar Blends: Captain Earle's Honor Blend, without the condimentals (just strong, grassy Virginias).

Corey Mac Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Corey Mac (9)
Strong Mild Medium Tolerable

I remember when I used to smoke this in college. I remember the plum topping being much more pronounced with more of a wine like character to the tin smell. I remember thinking I hadn't smelled anything like it before. When I would smoke this, I remember no other tobacco had ever bitten me as hard as this did either. Every puff was like broken glass in my mouth. The nicotine was so strong, I wasn't able to stand while smoking this. This would make me really nauseous! The flavor though was excellent and I would put up with the agony of smoking this because the flavor and quality was really, really awesome!

Since Dunhill pipe tobaccos became extinct for a while, until they were resurrected by Orlik, a lot has changed. I don't remember the Orlik version being much the same as the Murray and Sons version. I still like this though.

The tin smell of the Orlik version doesn't have many of the same wine characteristics as this did when it was made by Murray and Sons. Now it smells like Play-Doh. I like the smell of Play-Doh, so I like the smell of this. It's kinda nostalgic to me!

The Orlik version doesn't bite as hard as the Murray and Sons version. It doesn't taste as good either. It's not bad, but it's not like it was... Lighting up, there are flavors reminiscent of petroleum based stuff. This has a little gasoline and mechanics shop in it, with some asphalt and tar. I know it sounds weird, but I like that! I get some of that with Orlik Golden Sliced, though in that, it's much more of a top note, with more of a gasoline petrol flavor and less tar and asphalt. The petrol comes out for me when the brighter Virginias are present. With the Royal Yacht, once you're down to the middle of the bowl, the petrol and tar flavors move to the background and the Virginias become more sugary. The further down you go, the more rich the flavor becomes. It makes sense because the bottom tobacco acts as a filter for the rest of the bowl. Some baked goods come out too and strangely, the aftertaste reminds me of my grandparents house. Ha!

The Orlik version doesn't have as big of a nic kick as the old Murray and Sons version, but it'll still pack a punch.

All in all, this pales in comparison to the old Murray and Sons version. If you read about Dunhill's pipe tobaccos today, this is the case with most of the old blends across the board! It's too bad really, but that's the way things go. THEY DON'T MAKE EM LIKE THEY USED TO! Ha!! This is still a good tobacco though and I find myself craving it often and even though I have a lot of tobaccos I like better than this, this just satisfies. I guess that makes this a favorite of mine. WEIRD...

I'm dockin' one star off though, in memory of Murray and Sons...

Age When Smoked: Fresh as a spring rain

Purchased From: Smokingpipes

gonzok Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
gonzok (3)
Strong Extremely Mild Very Full Tolerable to Strong

At first, I wasn't too impressed with this tobacco. I found it a bit bland and monotonous. The only thing it had going for it was that it satisfied the nic- cravings, but as I had started smoking cigarettes again, even that seamed to be a very mild satisfaction. Anyway, I poured the contents of the tin in a jar and left it there, only having a smoke occasionally, maybe one bowl every two weeks, and continued smoking my other blends (Nightcap, Elizabethan Mixture and 965). After the tobacco had sat in the jar for a good few months, I suddenly discovered whilst smoking a bowl that this tobacco had matured and become something very interesting. Royal Yacht suddenly became my go to blend and now is sorely missed whilst I wait for the tins which I have just bought to mature in the jars for a couple of months before I can enjoy that fantastic tobacco again.

CharatansMake Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CharatansMake (18)
Medium to Strong Very Mild Medium Tolerable

This one was and still is a mystery for me...

At first this tobacco was good stuff but nothing special. It provides a well balanced but unexcited natural taste with hints of dry fruit/citrus/piquancy, combined with its solid strength a nice dosis of nicotine and perfect conditioning/charateristics. Well, I did not have a wow effect and I was quite sure that it would take a additional role in my rotation. But somehow I found myself smoking it again and again and I noticed that it has something very satisfying. I think this tobacco is one of these strange examples of unexcited averageness (in the best sense) that at first do not stick out but can give you so much more satisfaction than many 'first glance stars'...which reminds me a bit of experience and wisdom in contrast to juvenile enthusiasm.

3-4 stars!

Earl Grey Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Earl Grey (34)
Mild to Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Unnoticeable

I enjoy Royal Yacht. It's got a nice clean Virginia flavor. Not too sweet and not lacking in the vitamin N department. I couldn't taste any of the plum it's supposedly flavored with. Just a nice, no-nonsense Virginia smoke to me. Perfect moisture level, only one relight after char. Burned to a fine white ash.

Pipe Used: Danish Briar

Age When Smoked: Fresh out of tin.

r Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
r (32)
Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

The tin welcomes you with an aroma reminiscent of freshly baked Irish soda bread (with raisins). A beautifully cut tobacco, it packs easy and burns steadily, leaving a very fine white ash. The smoke production is generous and constant. The flavor is sweeter than the tin aroma suggests - the baking soda and raisin quickly evolve into a plum, cognac-like suggestion on top of sweet Virginia - quite pleasant. Enough nicotine to make it a night smoke. It leaves a very pleasant aftertaste as well.

Similar Blends: Scandinavian Tobacco Group (STG) - Escudo Navy De Luxe.

Ian K Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ian K (26)
Very Strong None Detected Full Tolerable

I bought a 5g sampler of this and glad I didn't invest in a whole tin...As it says in the previous review not one for a novice like me. A very strong and distinct flavour with a high hit straight from the off.

Think I'll leave it a couple of years before trying again and just stick to early morning pipe

Update. A couple of weeks later went back to this one, smoked it slower and managed to get a bit more "introduced"...back to backed it with some Dunhill nightcap which in my opinion I found less harsh! The yatch I found was Still giving some bite to my mouth though.

Pipe Used: Petersons half bent 316

Purchased From: Mysmokingshop

WillBrown Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
WillBrown (108)
Very Strong Medium Full Tolerable to Strong

Back in my pipe smoking heyday, in the eighties, there were many fellow pipe smokers around who were outright advocates of this blend. I never tried Royal Yacht back in the day, but now, at long last, I can say I've tried it.

I can see what everyone was clamoring about then, this is truly a unique blend; an old school tobacco of great refinement, full of flavor, and, unfortunately, like just about all the other Dunhill blends I've tried over the years, very full and strong (my head was swimming with nicotine). I absolutely loved the snork on this one, very flavorful; a 4 star snorker, to be sure, but, I didn't particularly enjoy the rank taste that developed in my mouth—for me, this blend smoked very wet and the awful tasting backwash somewhat ruined the overall experience.

Today, I seek blends that are less heady. Royal Yacht, as unique as it is, doesn't fulfill this bill. I like to be comfortable when I smoke, and, as much as I like the taste of this one, this blend is way to strong for me. If only I could figure a way to reduce the nicotine level, I'd give Royal Yacht the highest of marks.

Dunhill blends are always skilfully blended, but, I think the pipe smoking world is beginning to pass them by. If you like a FULL blend, packed with nicotine, don't pass on this one. Everyone should try this smoke at least once; I'm glad I did. I'll give it a strong two stars (no pun intended).

Keep on Piping!

point9 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
point9 (114)
Strong Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

I have never had older versions of Royal Yacht. The taste is full and sweet with the special additive flavor. However this is too strong for me, and the unique topping is not to my liking. update:2016-3-20 I must say this has grown on, or the level of my nicotine demand has increased? I will upgrade it to 3 stars. The added flavor is mild, as it did not ghost my pipes.

Toasterbottom Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Toasterbottom (13)

This is another tobacco I want to like but feel kind of indifferent about. After all, it sports the almost aristocratic Dunhill marque, it has really lovely 1930s or 40s fonts and graphics on the tin; and it obviously uses quality Virginia tobacco. But try as I might, I find I just don't care that much about it. On the upside, it smells nice in the tin, it packs easily and burns well, and it produces a rich creamy smoke suitable for blowing smoke rings. But the taste ... well, the taste in my view is just a bit boring. More than a bit, actually. It's completely one dimensional. Maybe I'm missing something here ... but I'd rather smoke Dunhill Flake any day of the week. I bought two tins, though, so perhaps if I cellar the second tin for a few years and then come back to it....

Pipe Used: a variety of straight billiards

Age When Smoked: fresh tin

Purchased From: 4noggins.com

Fred T Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Fred T (67)
Very Strong Medium to Strong Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I love everything Dunhill. Some of my favorite pipes are made by Dunhill. 965 is one of my favorite tobaccos. So, I was eager to try Royal Yacht again after many years. After a half a pipe my socks were knocked off by it's strength. Sorry, this one is too strong for me.

Pipe Used: Dunhill shell Zulu

PhillyB Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PhillyB (65)

This is amongst the lighter Dunhill blends. The smell from the sample I got is of mild and sweet Virginia with a little cereal grain. The plum is not very strong in the smell but I can detect just a little bit. The taste is very similar to Orlik Golden Sliced but much more mild, and the startlingly accurate plum seems to be at equal with the tobacco. It burns a little fast but I had no problems with bite or overheating. Doesn't make me jump with joy but is definitely a very enjoyable smoke.

Pipe Used: AND Meerschaum Billiard

Kentishman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kentishman (7)
Medium to Strong Medium Medium to Full Tolerable

Smoked my first bowl of this just after play resumed after tea at Old Trafford against India. Was hopeful I'd come back after a stint in the garden with a wicket down but found India all at sixes and sevens and had lost 4 wickets. Must be my go to smoke during the Ashes....... Yes but I digress. As a newcomer to pipe smoking I had dedicated myself previously to English blends. Wish I had not. Tin upon opening was currants and sultanas. Upon smoking a very strong, enjoyable Virginia. Not even sure if the cricket score is right with that much vitamin n! Wonderful smoke, full of Xmas pud and relaxation. Casing is there but still a lot of tobacco. Thoroughly recommended and another bowl in order now. Maybe 4 more Indian wickets as well?

Age When Smoked: New tin

Purchased From: Canterbury tobacconist

Lingo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Lingo (10)
Strong Mild to Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

As a VaPer smoker, I keep on searching for the perfect Aro for my rotation.

First bowl was disappointing: I find that there is - also here! - that liiiiiiiiittle too much casing (with too much of that artificial ...something... )

Going on through the tin, more subtleties come in, and I found myself sipping very slowly a well burning tobacco which, after the first essences are gone, leaves me perfectly satisfied with a nice virginia taste.

Only serious drawback: I can't stand the last part of the bowl, where Mr N waits for me to knock me out.

Anyway, it's in my rotation now, kicking my previous aro choice (Dan's Vanilla Honeydew) very far in the queue...

UPDATE: 3 yrs passed, tastes change... I feel too much chemistry in this mixture, the perique just doesnt feel "real"... plus, the market gives so much more than these "new" dunhills... sorry bro, must get you down to two... :(

Pipe Used: Ser Jacopo Delecta, Peterson

codyp Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
codyp (65)
Medium Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Another great from Dunhill. One of the tins I always have around.

The strength is gonna be your average Dunhill ribbon cut. It's stronger then your average Virginia blend, and I like it very much. To me, I don't really sense any artificial flavoring. It's just a strong Virginia, the tin is right on, in the sense that it is a mellow blend. That would be how I describe it.

The wife note isn't quite as good as your average aromatic, however it is definitely not unpleasant. It's pretty much how you would expect a pipe to smell.

There is absolutely no bite, and it's full flavored throughout. Another recommend from Dunhill.

Pipe Used: Peterson System

Peter Piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Peter Piper (41)
Strong Mild to Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

A lovely blend, this. Virginia to the fore with quite a pokey nic hit to it, which can take you a bit by surprise as, despite the relatively full flavour, this still contrives to be a light smoke in the sense that it imparts no harshness, or bite whatsoever. Very pleasant, very relaxing, great to unwind with at the end of a working day.

Highly recommended.

kingjj Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
kingjj (10)
Strong Medium Full Tolerable

For taste and strength, it's hard to fine fault in Royal Yacht. A potent and rich Virgina blend with hints of currents and raisins. But with that said, it's also a high maintenance blend. I can't seem to get through a bowl with less than six re-lights, even while puffing like a madman. Not to mention, the blend isn't exactly friendly to madman puffing, as too hard of a draw will scorch your tongue.

Unfortunately, nothing seemed to lower it's maintenance. Smoked moist or dry, packed tight or loose, it simply refuses to stay lit. It splits me in the middle because as stated, it's flavor, strength, and aroma are top notch. But seeing that I do most of my pipe smoking on the road, I find myself leaving the Royal Yacht at home. When I'm on the road, it behooves me to keep my eyes right there (distracted driving is far worse for your health than smoking), not looking down for my eighth stir and re-light.

Sir Walter Smiley Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sir Walter Smiley (24)
Medium to Strong Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I just smoked the Orlik version for the first time and it has been a few years since I smoked the Murrey blend. It seems I remember the Murrey blend being stronger in flavoring and nicotine, but tastes change and our memories are never as good as we would like to think. I also have been smoking much more full bodied cigars since the Murrey days. What I know for sure is the old version made me a little ill, like Peterson's Irish Flake, from the nicotine. This one does not. Anyway.......Royal Yacht is a great smoke. Tin moisture, upon opening, is perfect for immediate packing. The cut makes for easy loading. It does not bite my tongue if I puff too hard. The flavoring added enhances the tobaccos, not hides them. The smoke has a full body feel, more like burleys than Virginias. This tobak reminds me of Cornell & Diehl's Exhausted Rooster. It even has some pepperiness at times, as if it had perique. In Dunhill's description of this blend they mention " rich, heavier and cooler Virginias". That sounds like burley to me. Nice "prune turnovers" tasting tobacco. A good pairing for this is Wild Turkey Honey on the rocks. Hell, that bourbon blend goes with any tobacco except nonsweet latakia blends...and maybe those as well. I need this in bulk.

Scot Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Scot (7)
Strong Very Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

This has been reviewed extensively... just my 2 cents.

Royal Yacht doesn't do any one thing spectacularly. It's not the best smelling nor is it the greatest tasting, it doesn't have the highest nic content and some will think the cut makes it burn too fast. But what it does do is balance all those things well which makes it an all around great smoke.

Being an ex cigarette smoker nicotine has always been a consideration in my choices and trying to find that balance of taste and stimulation has been like walking a narrow line. The Peterson and Gawith flakes are strong which obviously precludes me to enjoy the hell out of them and even some of the ropes but in the moments that there isn't time to be chopping and preparing tobacco to properly load your pipe and you just need a smoke, Royal Yacht fits the bill.

It has the typical Dunhill fine ribbon cut which makes it easy to load, easy to light and depending on your experience, smoke too fast. If you're not use to it the nic hit will sit you down in short order; room spinning, excessive drooling and possibly a cold sweat. Experienced smokers will probably enjoy the twirl it provides without the preparation but beware of the niccups towards the end of the bowl, which by the way, is usually dry and dusty. It's like an old timers blend in a fashion just for the fact that it's more utilitarian and not really fancy... if that makes any sense at all.

This one was in my rotation long before the demise of Murray but I've been out long enough that I can't make a fair comparison to the newer Orlick tins. It's as close to the original as I can remember which is rather ambiguous I know, but hey, I'm smoking it.

Bottom line, if you are looking for a spectacular aroma and taste profile you'll probably not enjoy this one. If you are ok with reasonable taste and aroma that provides a decent amount of stimulation that's still mild enough on the mouth and throat to smoke all day, I can highly recommend this one.

Four stars... not necessarily because it's what we think a great tobacco is today but because it does what I need it to do.

who broke my clay pipe? Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
who broke my clay pipe? (61)
Strong Mild to Medium Full Pleasant to Tolerable

50g Tin £11.75 bought over the counter at a highstreet newsagent/decent tobacconist.

Appearance: 1.5mm-2mm ribbon cut ,mottled golden/mid brown tan and darker leaf.

Tin aroma; plummy winey , very mild chocolate (or Nestle Caramac bar), sour summer fruits , fruit salad , slight vanilla , light roasted instant coffee and apple juice.

Light up: Using matches it lights easy. First impressions are light to medium range tastes,obviously dominant Virginia forward mix of the citrusy light/mid Virginia .

Getting into it; the taste: taste builds up along with strength and i can detect the nicotine - its not an instant punch but an appearing creeper, and i can feel it up my nose like carbonated fizz bubbles which is making me feel alert and perked up.

Development : It develops a very mild earthy cigar hint beneath the mature virginia surface and a very light "mellow birds" coffee nuance. Like a very light white coffee made with whitener rather than milk . But for the main; I am getting a nice rich golden/bronze smooth rich virginia base taste.

Simultaneously, and more dominant aromatic wise, obove that coffee undertone, is a sour/citrus fruit factor akin to grapefruit with a lesser degree of pinapple or apple.

RY is a slightly hot burner and produces wet .

Opinion : I will come strait out with it because it has been on my mind the whole while i have been smoking this: "Dunhill Royal Yacht" tastes like a virtual mirror of "Ogdens Gold Block". Like Gold Block, only slighty darker and more mature maybe, but it tastes like Gold Block smoked on a different day.:-

You know how certain tobacco tastes can drift into the zone of and start resembling by accident of atmospherics other known similar constituted tobacco brands sometimes.. Well this tastes near enough like a well behaved bowl of Gold Block.

If anybody has smoked Gold Block who wanted to like it, i can suggest Dunhill Royal Yacht as a more forgiving substitute because it is less pipe sensitive and will taste how Gold Block does more or less when at its best.

I got a good taste all the way down the bowl and i get a slight winey finish in my mouth which is OK.

It burns quite quick and slightly hottish perhaps - perhaps cooler than Gold Block but very simular properties , and right down to a fluffy white ash.

At this stage i think i have to say that i slightly prefer Gold Block myself: Some of that is to do with price and the fact that i can get Gold Block anywhere. Its a very close contest. Also the milder nicotine Gold Block is more proportional to its easy going taste which makes it a more suitable candidate as an all dayer because the nicotine is paced out.

Royal Yacht though has a slightly stronger recipe and if i fancy the same taste with a stronger nicotine hit which doesn't leave me wanting more for a while then Royal Yacht definately has its place, and is already in my categorised mind as a "Gold Block Extra" :- it has a bit more.

I was initially disapointed that Royal Yacht didn't taste a bit different (i had in my mind a different expectation) but I am glad i tried it anyway because i can accept it as a stronger Gold Block substitute.

For those that care ;there was no soap or bite! I would have no problem keeping this in my rotation and would definately buy again ,but i recon i will consumme more Gold Block in the long run.

Worth 3 stars*

Pipe Used: Falcon Pipe meerschaum bowl.

Age When Smoked: New and 6 months

Similar Blends: Ogden's Gold Block.

musicman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
musicman (88)
Strong Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I love Royal yacht. This tobacco seems to be a real love it or leave it blend among pipe smokers. I think it is amazing, other established and experienced pipe smokers consider it appalling. All I know is that I get this blend, and I am sure glad I do.

First a caveat. this tobacco has been known by some to to give you a swift nicotine kick right in the Jackson. Some people believe the name very fitting because their stomach rolls like they have been on a yacht in rough waters. If you are a little sensitive in the nicotine department, have high blood pressure, or are pregnant, do not go on this ride.

The flavors are really nice. A great plum type of full taste. This blend really benefits from time, both in the pipe and in the cellar. If you rush this blend it will taste like a cheap cigarette, but loved and nurtured and it really shines. The Virginia tastes are very round and lovely. I like it. This one also ages beautifully. What was good when I bought it has become utopic with age. really nice.

Give it a shot, you might like it, you might hate it. If you like it smoke away. If you hate it send the rest to me and I will properly dispose of it for you. Highly recommended.

henwrench Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
henwrench (16)
Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Medium to Full Pleasant

Smoking this has changed everything. I mean it. Wonderfully complex, as you work your way down the bowl wave after wave of flavour bursts through without affecting your palette. Half an hour after smoking the flavours just keep on coming. Demands to be respected, slow right down and sip away. Has instantly become my smoke of choice.

Denevei Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Denevei (58)
Strong Medium Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

Upon opening, the eyes are teased with a relatively monochrome presentation of Virginia leaf. Sadly, the eyes can't behold the presentation for long; the "aroma" coming from the tin sets them quickly to watering. Or perhaps it is the sight of the maggots dancing among the leaves....

To me, the tobacco is a bit too moist upon opening. This is a tobacco that needs open time to breathe and air. I suggest doing this in a remote area. When I tried to air my tin inside the house my wife complained that the stench filling the house was far, far worse that a dozen cat litter boxes. I didn't take my gas mask off long enough to verify her statement, but my dogs running from the room gave indication. Once dried to a more appropriate level, I resealed the tin for a bit.

And then came the loading. The ready-rubbed leaf begins to show a bit of coloration, with some lighter and some darker golds and browns. (Here, I should throw in the warning that it is best to handle Royal Yacht while wearing gloves, kind of like when handling Habernero peppers, though the damage done to bare fingers by Haberneros is nothing as painful as from RY!!!) Thus, gloves protecting my hands I carefully stuffed the tobacco into a favorite Dunhill bulldog (which, as it happens, is the only bulldog to ever bite my hand for loading it!).

With the false light came some pretty amazing flavor! I was immediately drawn back into a deep, long-forgotten memory of my childhood. As a boy, I spent summers in Northeast Iowa on my cousins' farm. They raised cows, hogs, sheep and chicken, and the amazing draw of flavors of pigsty and sheep intestine rolled through my pipe and took me back to those now lost days. I could almost see my "Uncle" (really a cousin, but the age of my mother so I called him "Uncle") sitting on that old Ford tractor, the wheels dripping with pig shit, staring down at me as I hauled a bucket of slop to feed the sows, and remember how he used to laugh and say, "So, how's the feedin' comin', City Boy?"

But this is not a tobacco to just sip, as I do with most Virginias. Rather, to appreciate the full experience of Royal Yacht it is necessary to inhale. I mean take draws like you did on that bong 30 years ago in college kind of inhale. Draw the smoke into your lungs like an almost drowned man finally getting his first gasp of fresh air after crawling out of a sinking submarine whose hull ruptured 300 feet below the surface! And then, after exhaling, it happens:

My first vision was of Satan. He was sitting in a bright red seat of flames, somehow now where, moments before, had been the television, laughing his low, gutteral laugh, and telling me that my soul was now his. "NO!", I screamed, as I drew in another puff of this notorious weed. He smiled, and almost immediately was replaced in my vision by 70 dancing, naked virgins. Yet the flesh was not for me - these hags were 80 year-old virgins, having attained their chaste status through years of overeating, not washing, farting, and being just plain hiddeous! I set the pipe aside, walked to the living room, and poured a double shot of bourbon in hopes of driving the witches away.

Oh, those bitches left all right. And this, sadly, encouraged me to again lift and light the pipe. Once more, the relatively cool stream of smoke drew through the airway and invaded my mouth. Though not hot or acidic, the smoke still somehow burned away about 2 layers of tissue on my tongue. I would liken the experience to drinking a freshly opened bottle of lye, though at least the lye has an acceptable flavor. And with this draw the witches were replaced by diahrettic flying gorillas circling my head, propelled in their flight by the jet propulsion caused by their condition. I watched them circle over me, faster and faster, until they suddenly began hitting me in the head. Their fists were hard as rocks. My head shook. My neck flopped like a broken rubberband. Finally, I was overcome with pain and fear and passed out.

When I awakened, the tobacco, my pipe, and the table on which I had set the pipe, had all burned to a fine, gray ash. I found no dottle at all, though I was a bit troubled by having to clean up the charred hag and gorilla bones.

Highly recommended for Haggis fans, Masochists, and Pipestud.

M.Toney Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
M.Toney (59)
Strong Mild to Medium Very Full Pleasant to Tolerable

My favorite pipe tobacco thus far. Love the mild flavoring & backbone. I have sampled 40 year old tins to 5 yr. old Orlik stuff. The 40 yr. old tin displayed dark, oily looking strands with a somewhat diminished, musty aroma & was milder & sweeter as compared to Murray's but lacked the flavor I was hoping for...may have gone a little flat.

I like the Murray's version the best. The Orlik version doesn't appeal to me that much, just average stuff, IMO...not enough of the Murray's blend flavor. The flavor improves even more after the first third of the bowl & I believe there may be some Green River Burley that provides that figgy, Perique effect in this blend along with a dark chocolate & black currant flavoring.

This is a near biteless tobacco & I concur with some other reviewers that this blend is somewhat terperamental depending on the quality of the briar. One of the best, uniquely flavored pipe tobaccos ever, IMHO, of course! Smoked in a Peterson DeLuxe, 9S Model.

Mister Moo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mister Moo (12)
Medium to Strong Mild Very Full Tolerable

Someone below called Royal Yacht an "acquired taste" which sounds right to me. This is not a pipe for rookies.

The fill is easy, the texture is perfect for gentle tamps and rich smoke and the flavor is strong, round, rich and deep. There is a casing that is not describable which will color the smoke and stick to your ribs. I'd say you'll love it or hate it.

If you love light, faint and fragrant green tea then this is not for you. If you love a rich, thick boeuf bourguignon gone a bit overboard with too much brandy and red burgundy poured in then this may be the ticket.

odinbaal Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
odinbaal (6)
Very Strong Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Update: A surprising Discovery

Filled a pipe this afternoon and readied myself for a strong punch; as it started to gently rain, I went out on the balcony to check the weather, pipe in mouth.

What a surprise! The aroma immediately changed and, coupled with the clean, cool air, Royal Yacht was suddenly transformed into a very enjoyable, very "perfumed" smoke (meaning its nuances became more noticeable), and even lost some of its notorious all-nicotine strength.

It seems that, as the name implies, this tobacco is meant to be smoked outside!

----------------

I've read the reviews and found it amazing how much divergence there is when it comes to evaluating this tobacco.

Luckily, I live in a place where Royal Yacht is extremely cheap, $3 a tin of the old version; so I bought myself a few dozen tins to try this elusive aromatic by Dunhill.

Strange? Indeed. I will call RY a "secret" or "dark" tobacco, because, in my opinion, it needs a little coaxing to reveal its real nature.

First, I don't think Dunhill can produce a "disgusting" tobacco and have it on the market for an extended period of time; second, British aromatics, by law, contain "less aromatics" than, say, Dutch or American counterparts. Dunhill is more famous for its English blends, and an aromatic coming from them is seen, by some, as somehow of an oddity. One has to bear in mind that this is the "Dunhill" version of an aromatic, and not your normal type. Third, I think that each tobacco, like each pipe, needs to "broken in" in order to give full satisfaction. RY is one of those tobaccos which need more than the usual care.

After going through some tins, here are my smoking recommendations:

1. If possible, use a new pipe dedicated to RY. If not, use a pipe which has been used with a mild aromatic;

2. Choose a pipe with a bowl which is neither too small nor too big. Too small and you will get a burnt flavour/taste/smell; too big and you will get a headache/sore throat; this tobacco is strong on nicotine, as all reviewers have noticed!

3. Smoke VERY SLOWLY in order to get the full effect of RY;

4. Try to smoke the bowl in one sitting, as it tends to deteriorate if left half-smoked.

Quite a lot of precautions, true, but I think they're worth the try!

Pipepundit Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipepundit (168)
Strong Mild to Medium Full Tolerable

I have never delberately bought a tin of Royal Yacht: all the tins I have smoked of this mixture have come out of the five-pack samplers of Dunhill tobaccos that used to be sold in airport duty-free shops around the world. And, I have never been able to finish a tin.

It is strong, ranking with the likes of St Bruno and 1792 in nicotine content. The flavouring is odd - not so much savoury as briny. (I have smoked it on a two-hundred tonner on a week long voyage near the equator.) It does improve with drying and breathing. While the flavour is not as bad as some of the harsher critics would have, its oddity combined with the strength of the tobacco makes it a mixture that takes no prisoners. I am smoking the last of my tins of RY and do not think that I will acquire another.

Paddy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Paddy (127)
Very Strong Medium Very Full Tolerable

UPDATE 3-30-06: I decided to open a tin of the newer version just to find out if it has changed. It has. The appearance of the tobacco is very similar to the Murray version, but the new manufacturer has not gone to the trouble of duplicating the unique top dressing of the original. The mouth feel of the smoke is similar, and I think it has similar strength compared to the old RY. The tin aroma has been replaced with the German chocolate essence found in many K&K blends. The taste of the smoke is not bad; it is just not Royal Yacht. And the smoking experience is very, very close. I will probably start smoking this newer version of RY in my regular rotation and save my stash of the older version for annual trips down memory lane. Paddy _________________________________________________________________I imagine that once upon a time, a group of executives sat around a polished table in the Dunhill Board Room and decided to go after the English dark twist, rope, flake and plug market, so enjoyed by the British working class. The blend would necessarily be something with a powerful nicotine content and a strong, tobacco essence similar to, say, SG Brown Rope, a blend that would appeal to those who liked a tobacco that could be either chewed or smoked. However, it would have to be uniquely Dunhill, and therefore, much more elegant. It was decided to combine a bitterly strong tobacco, already sliced and diced, with a soupcon of a milder brown and top it off with a mysterious sweetener. And so Royal Yacht was created. About the only thing wrong in the creative process was the marketing department's choice of a name. I cannot imagine this tobacco appealing to the swells aboard Her or His Majesty's pleasure craft, but then the Royals have been known to engage in other, more peculiar pleasures. It would probably have been more accurate to call this tobacco Peon's Pleasure, Miner's Delight or Old Tar's Treat. In any case, they did a fine job. Smoked fresh, it is quite sweet with the darker flavors and strength skillfully submerged, a Sunday goody for the black plug smoker. Left to age and dry, it reveals all its power and strong tobacco flavor, quite similar to G&H Dark Flake, but yet quintessentially Dunhill. Either way a truly satisfying smoke. This has been an old favorite of mine for a good many years, not to be smoked every day. And it will bring your EKG reading up to slightly above where it belongs. Highly recommended to those who enjoy lightly sweetened, strong English tobacco. Paddy.

Jakob Kiilerich Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jakob Kiilerich (120)
Strong Very Mild Full Pleasant

Royal Yacht, the nicotine bomb from heaven, what sweet music you make..

I was urged to try this blend by Pipestud, and i bought a well-aged tin on Ebay. Upon opening the tin, I saw small crystals on the leaf; perhaps sugar or maybe even nicotine?!?

Upon opening the tin, I was greeted with a lovely scent of dried figs and dates. The cut reminds me of 965 but it is much more dry than the former.

Packing and lighting was no problem at all, and the first 1/3 of the bowl gave away that peculiar topping which I haven't tried before now, which I have a hard time describing but which I really like alot.

It not that strong guys, come on ;-) Yes there's alot of nicotine in it, but not more than in St. Bruno and other similar blends.

It's the coolest pure VA smoke i've ever tried, you could use RY instead of talcum on a baby's bottom i reckon.

I will definitely stash more of this fantastic tobacco, Thumbs up for Dunhill, the epitome of quality!

Jakob Kiilerich, Denmark

Extremely Strong Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

Whoa Nelly!!!! This stuff is the real deal! I had to try some of this stuff after all that I had heard about it. I couldn't seem to tell what the big deal was about it at first. It has a nice shag cut and packed easily. I put it in a new corn cob in case it would prove unbearable as others seemed to think. The first few bowls seemd to go just fine. A nice virginia base with a slight casing that I couldn't quite get a handle on. Although a unique stewed fruit taste was evident- I didn't seem to understand why there were such strong reactions to the stuff. Sure it's strong but what's the big deal? Then I noticed that the corn cob I was smoking it in had a filter. Since I don't usually use them (in fact I never used to think they made any difference anyway except to catch a lot of moisture) I just removed it and loaded another bowl without one. Then I got in my truck to drive home! Let me tell you- about half way home I thought I got hit by a mack truck! This stuff is strong! (This also laid to rest my curiosity as to whether filters made any difference.) I barely made it through half a bowl. I still really like this blend- I just have to really watch my smoking technique unless I have a filter in the pipe. I will keep a few cans on hand even though I usually only smoke one bowl of it in the morning to get me going. I find the flavoring is very refreshing after I've been smoking balkan blends. So if you are in the mood for something different and strong- or just wan't to experience roll your own cigarettes pipe style give it a whirl- just watch out for the nicotine rush!

Strong Mild Full Tolerable to Strong

I first tried this blend somewhere in the late Eighties. I must say I did not understand it. This was as close to a straight Virginia as I had ever come, and found the experience daunting (Dunhill's own Light Flake would entirely change this perception more or less at the same time). I did not mind the taste or aroma of RY as such, but the structure of the blend was just too enervating. Not even my first encounter with My Mixture 965 produced such giddiness!. As it happens, time and experience modify our perspective on a given tobacco. I smoked it again many years later and found it intriguing and interesting, but not to the extent of making it a regular smoke.

This Virginia is dense and strong. I believe the intention of the added aroma is to lessen the effects of the rather potent leaf if left in its natural state. The smoke is a cool one and the cut is probably intended for outdoor use. IMO there are many other Virginias out there, some of them as strong as RY but less pungent, that are more amiable and palatable than this Dunhill. Then again it must have something, for I know a number of pipe smokers who thoroughly enjoy Royal Yacht . A strong Virginia with a sweetened twist?. For the brave of heart!

Knightsmoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Knightsmoker (137)
Medium to Strong Mild Medium to Full Strong

An absolutely beautiful mixture. The topping is fairly complex and sweet and does mute the tobaccos a little but only a little and it adds to the overall fullness of the mixture itself. While I can pick out the plum right away, there are other elements in the topping as well. For the longest time I kept saying this reminds me of something but . . . and then it hit me when the light spice (most likely from Dark Fired KY) mixed with the topping and man if it is not the craziest thing but to me it reminds me of of the flavoring of Dr. Pepper not exactly that but similar enough to say that's what I was thinking of. That said, the topping goes very well with the overall flavor profile of the mixture. The VA's have notes of grass and hay some dark fruit notes and notes of toasted grains as well as a more subtle yeasty note like bread raising that comes and goes. There is a slight earthiness that may be from the VA's but it could be that a little burely has been added to tone it down and add some strength. The KY as noted above would be the spicy note as well as a little woody and smokey as well. A unique blend that really hits the spot. The nic is good but not overwhelming. It will satisfy a craving but it does not make you feel like you need to sit down. Room note, however, is not great. Very strong and noticeable for quite sometime after finishing a bowl. I will say that this also give a very gratifying smoke when smoked in one of my briars dedicated to Lakeland style blends. The Lakeland scent that has ghosted those pipes stayed below the flavors of the smoke but added that famous or infamous scent to the tobacco.

Age When Smoked: 1 yr

Pip Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pip (55)
Medium Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

After reading all the wonderful reviews about Royal Yacht I finally decided to break open my 9-year-old tin and see what all the hype is about. To me the tin note is very VaPer like. I smell sweet Virginians with plummy/figgy notes along with a piquant fermentation like alcoholic scent. Perhaps plum brandy is the topping.

The moisture was perfect and it took to the flame straight away. No hint of bite at all.

I can usually tell by the first bowl if I like a tobacco or not. I’m on my 3rd bowl of Royal Yacht and I still don’t know what to make of it. It has a mellow sweetness of grains, oatmeal, hay and grass but, lacks the tangy traditional Virginian zest. It is a very soft sweetness and has an ever so light plummy finish. I really need to take my time with RY to appreciate it fully. At least an hour. It’s a leisurely smoke for sure and not very complex

As for the nicotine blast I’ve been reading about…maybe nicotine just doesn’t effect me the way it does others. The only time I really feel nicotine is when I’m chomping on a cigar with an empty stomach so for me it’s a non-issue.

The tobaccos are of a very good quality as expected. The smoke is smooth and the flavors are consistent from top to bottom. Is this a blend that I crave? Certainly not. Do I like it…It’s OK. I’ll finish the tin for sure and I have another aging but, I’m in no hurry to open that one as I have so many other I want to try first.

Pipe Used: Peterson 69

Age When Smoked: 9 yrs

JohnH Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JohnH (12)
Strong Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

I got this by chance today from a local tobacconist. They have very little selection, but had a couple of these so I thought I'd give it a try. Surprisingly they were the only tins they had, everything else was in pouches. Anyway, onto the review.

On opening the tin, the cut and almost leathery texture is similar to other Dunhill labels. The colour is as you would expect, perhaps a touch darker. The aroma is subtle and most reminds me of wet hay (in a good way), typical virginia.

It packs and lights well, smokes great, has a very good ash, perhaps good for breaking in a pipe, but I expect it could leave some ghosting.

Is it strong? is it mild? I've herd conflicting views, but for me straight out the tin, it's pretty strong, it almost reminds me of memories of cigars when I was younger, but in a very good way, it brings a smile to my face. The nicotine is strong no doubt! but it doesn't immediately come across, and this doesn't bite at all.

The smoke improves down the bowl, and the flavors open up, yielding a smoother smoke. I'm a fan of English and Balkan blends, but this is quite different from anything I've tried, I guess it's technically an aromatic, but it's a Virginia for me. It genuinely surprised me how good it was even at the very end of the bowl.

Overall, this was not at all what I was expecting. Somewhat harsher, but not unenjoyable. I agree with others that it doesn't have huge amounts of flavor, it is definitely unique, at least from my experience. I wont rush back to it, but will certainly revisit it, and hope to cellar some as I think it will immensely improve with age. Regardless this definitely worth a try.

Pipe Used: Chacom prestige

Age When Smoked: Fresh from tin with less than a year on it

Halfdan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Halfdan (1)
Medium to Strong Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

This one was a local tobacconist's suggestion. The smell in the tin is rather like an orange marmalade. A false light will serve you well, but you can avoid wasting a second match without any problems. The initial taste is far less heavy than the smell lets on - mellowing into something like a full Virginia with an orange peel flavor. Half-way through, the orange flavor lessened somewhat and I got a very balanced mix of the above with raisin, plum, tea and leather notes - but none of these ever overpowered any other. The orange flavor did continue to recede somewhat and give way to a surprising balance that I found delicious. The very end of the bowl was the only disappointing point for me...the balance slid into a floral note that I could have done without. Don't let that put you off, though, the blend is one of the best Virginias that I've smoked, in spite of it. A note on strength: For an old hand, this one isn't that strong. It took a larger bowl to really get the job done and to allow me to really appreciate the balance of flavors here. Perhaps I'm a nic fiend, but it's my opinion that this blend isn't going to drop a grown man. Perhaps a strict aromatic or new smoker might get a little spun - but sip your beverage and keep at it, it'll pass.

Pipe Used: Large Meer (3" bowl depth)

Age When Smoked: New Tin

steppx Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
steppx (152)
Medium Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

This is a well known and amazingly popular blend. It has been so for many decades. But that is sort of the problem. So this is two reviews in a sense. The old Dunhill used to make great tobacco. Less so today. Same with pipes. Once the new corporation closed the famous iconic store in London, I started to worry. But lets focus on Royal Yacht: the new blend isnt as good as the old one. Thats the one sentence version. The old blend was sublime. It really was. But this is a review of what you can buy now. The new blend. Its not bad at all, but its not nearly the blend it used to be. If i came across this today...and it was a new tobacco put out by someone, I think I'd like it....i might give it 3 stars. Its got a solid quality virginia taste. The cut is ribbon and the casing is mild. I suspect (as was true of the original) that there are several flavors operative in this. One is plum, but also something else. Maybe a touch of brandy. I dont know. And as someone said in this thread there is likely a bit, just a touch, of dark fired in there. And that subtle smokiness is the really seductive part of RY. So...the new blend....2 and a half stars. Probably unfair. But at most its 3 stars. The old blend was ten stars.

Purchased From: 4noggins

Similar Blends: JF Germain Plumcake, Peterson Irish Oak..

Kunsan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kunsan (76)
Medium to Strong Medium Medium to Full Tolerable

I bought a tin of this Royal Yacht based on all the positive reviews. I expected some sort of nicotine power house, strong virginia with noticeable toppings. I expected to be disappointed. In fact I found Royal Yacht to be a generally good all-round smoke of good quality virginia coupled with a delicate sweet topping. I smoked my one tin rather quickly. Now I really must order some more.

Young Piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Young Piper (300)
Strong Mild Medium Pleasant

RY is as delicious as strong Virginia mixtures get (IMHO). It's an autopilot set and forget blend that doesn't bite, will satisfy everyone in the nicotine dept. and for me never gets too hot bc there is no need to puff the pipe to death to get flavor. I now use it as a substitute for 5 Bros. to perk up weak and mild blends since this Virginia is as close to simple Virginia as i have found. THIS is the beginners tobacco i do believe now, smells good like Cocoa (although absolutely not an aromatic blend), easy to pack with its thin ribbons and is as easy to smoke as any blend i have tried. Sure it will kick them in the face with nicotine but like a kid on his 21st B-day night, one needs a shot of moonshine to compare all other shots to. Somehow i never reviewed this blend even though its been a favorite for years?

As an aside some of my favorite smokes have been Missouri Meerschaum Hardwood pipes, i have all 3 shapes. Their $9.99 anywhere and made of Hardwood Maple but covered in Shellac which holds in heat and doesn't allow the wood to breathe. 6 months ago i sanded the Shellac off and just used nose oil to color it with a fine patina (like an Unfinished Savinelli) and my Country Gentleman version loves Royal Yacht, what a pair! Try the pipe trick!

Doctor Max Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Doctor Max (23)
Strong Very Mild Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Beautiful țin aroma, I could sit and sniff it all day; loads of dried fruits, figs, dates, prunes, malt loaf, gingerbread, very heady. The appearance is a pretty melange of moist light and dark Virginias, ready rubbed bordering on ribbon cut. Smoked mainly in a corn cob that's only seen Virginias and an olive wood pipe. Very easy to pack, just the right moisture straight out of the tin. Lights easily and burns steadily to the heel. Tends to get a bit hot like most Virginias so slow and steady puffing is recommended. Taste-wise, it starts out dry, with a very clean tobacco flavour. Very little, if any, citrus notes in this one. Dry and earthy in the beginning, then develops and gets sweeter and sweeter, more and more notes of dried fruits; perhaps due the plum flavouring that's mentioned, but it is definitely not an aromatic; the casing stays well in the background. A slight ashiness starts to manifest itself towards the end; I perceive this as a common Virginia trait. At first I found myself wishing all the flavours were stronger and that there was more sweetness, but the las fourth of the bowl I found myself licking my lips, and the sweetness was certainly there! Room note is not too strong, more woody than fruity; a very elegant, almost cigar like aroma but sweeter and less intense, woody and fruity notes, turning somewhat towards campfire an burning leaves. Can get a bit intense over time. Quite heavy on the nicotine, like many British blends, but not excessive. All in all a very interesting, surprisingly complex tobacco that's definitely worth a try; I could see certain people really liking this. I was hesitating between 3 and 4 stars; but I've never finished a tin of tobacco so quickly, which surely means it merits straight A:s.

Pipe Used: Corn cob, olive billiard

Purchased From: Artabac, Paris, France

Similar Blends: Mac Baren - Virginia Flake, Dunhill - Flake.

Gresh Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Gresh (9)
Strong Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I love this stuff. Perfect ammt of moisture right out of the can. Tin note smells of raisins. The high nicotine content is great for those like myself who want to cut (way) back on cigarettes

Pipe Used: MM Corncob

Age When Smoked: tinned 1 year ago

Purchased From: Smoker Friendly. Wilkins Twp, PA

Gestalt Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Gestalt (20)
Strong Mild to Medium Full Tolerable

This blend brings about in me a state of cognitive dissonance. I really like it and yet I can take it or leave it. I can tell it 'is' a good blend and I can see why others like it, and I can also see why others don't.

Essentially it's a robust Virginia blend with a casing that's supposed to be plumb and a whooping helping of vitamin N. The casing is present throughout the smoke as is the Virginia flavor. Whether or not it's plumb I can taste I don't know, it tastes more like some sort of dairy thing to me, but whatever it is it works with the Virginias.

I don't like it because it's not particularly complex, subtle, or nuanced.

I like it because it's just a good strong stout smoke that burns well and doesn't require thinking about. And sometimes, that's exactly what I need

I don't know if I'll buy it again, yet I have some in the cellar and I'm smoking some right now. So perhaps I will.

I've also dedicated a pipe to it, but I'm not sure why.

I gave it three stars, then instantly updated this review to give it four.

Help!

Pipe Used: Dedicated briar

Age When Smoked: Fresh and three years +

Leeboy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Leeboy (20)
Extremely Strong Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I liked the plum topping and it had good quality Virginia's. This is a great smoke if you have a high nicotine tolerance. This made me feel sick at times which is a shame became it was a great tobacco. For those who can handle the strength and want a VA with a plum topping then this is the one for you. Beware though this can make your head spin from the first light.

Stu Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Stu (12)
Medium Very Mild Medium Tolerable to Strong

I have given this blend a fair shake and can't say it's something I want to revisit. I tried a handful of bowls when it was new, didn't like it, jarred it for a couple years, went back to it and it didn't improve. It's a very simple and dry Virginia, with a straight forward and rich Virginia flavor. The casing is more apparent in the tin, but when smoked has a faint sweetness about it akin to what Perique does in a VaPer, in fact I had figured there was a hint of Perique but that isn't mentioned by Dunhill. The blend of Virginias doesn't sit well with me, it's very hot and dry. I am big on sniffing the exhale, more so than the "taste" of my tobacco. This one irritates my sinuses. The only way I can think to describe it is like sniffing the burning end of a freshly lit bowl or cigar, as opposed to the cooled off exhaled smoke which has all the magic. In short, the smoke itself is somewhat harsh. Besides that it has a very singular, dark flavor and lacks complexity. I am a big fan of the Dunhill line, and this is one I don't think lives up to the quality of blends they produce.

Age When Smoked: new, 1 year, 2 years

Adrian B. Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Adrian B. (29)
Medium to Strong Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

The description calls this 'Virginia based' which seems to indicate that there is something other than Virginia in it, but I don't think there is. There is a light fruit flavoring, most say plum, that is, for me, barely noticeable. It pops up now and then and is pleasant, but the taste of this for me is mostly straight Virginia. Lightly sweet and very full flavored. There's a decent hit of nicotine here too if that's your thing. I don't crave vitamin N so for that reason this isn't an all day smoke, but I plan on keeping a tin around even though it may not end up being a regular in the rotation.

Pipe Used: variety of briars and cobs

Age When Smoked: tin fresh

Purchased From: Watch City Cigar Co.

ing.poparadu Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ing.poparadu (14)
Medium Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Nice tobacco, pretty good when reading a book.

Goes quite well with a cup of black tea, but I cannot say it has anything special.

I would give it 2/4

Pipe Used: DK 84

Age When Smoked: fresh from tin

Prof Korn Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Prof Korn (7)
Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Medium Pleasant

Well balanced. A good intro into a powerful virginia. Obvious quality. High in vitamin N. Please sit down if you are not nicotine tolerant. Some will love the slightly flavored VA flavor. Personally, it is a "must try" even though I don't like it. I can tell that it will be a favorite for others.

Christrom Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Christrom (34)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Very Mild Tolerable

Didn't really so it for me. It was cool burning with low bite but the taste was just not my cup of tea. It was just virginia which to me fell a bit flat.

MyPipeAndBook Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
MyPipeAndBook (9)

Unlike the reviews below mine, I didn't notice any bread baking or tea with cream and sugar or Hot cross buns baking. What I did notice was a light citrus smell upon opening the tin. This a mild but smooth virginia with no frills. If you like a plain virginia you should give this one a try.

albfneto Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
albfneto (184)
Strong Medium to Strong Medium to Full Tolerable

Royal Yacht is a classic of Dunhill's, but... Is a pure Virginia Blend. For me is only this... Pure Virginia, so strong.... strong in Nicotine. Is very common, boring... Only for people that enjoy pure Virginias and very strong tobaccos. Dunhill have other mixtures that are much better,

ap Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ap (57)
Medium to Strong Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Great Va with some sort of light topping that gives the blend a semi sweet flavor. A cool smoke with a good nicotine dose!

scottyspipesebay Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
scottyspipesebay (25)
Medium Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Royal Yacht. To each his own. After reading several reviews, I really wanted to like this blend. Upon opening the tin, my first whiff of this was delicious to the nose: CHOCOLATE, raisin and plum. Without doubt, the finest tobacco scent I've yet come across. I could barely wait to get a pinch into my pipe, but what a disappointment. When compared to other English blends I've tried, this is just strong tobacco without a lot of character. I'm a huge Cyp Lat fan, so this may need time to grow on me.

Update for 7/16/12: I also enjoy good Danish rolling tobacco, so I gave this a try in an attempt to be able to use this stuff, and had GREAT results. Rolled and smoked, it has a wonderfully sweet aroma and flavor, and it rolls up effortlessly. It burns slowly and evenly, and the outdoor note is heavenly. In the pipe I can only give it 2 stars. It's just not for my palate. Rolled, it is a good 4 star tobacco. That may sound crazy, but it works for me.

8/13/12: The more I smoke it the more I am understanding the blend. The raw and room notes are excellent! I am starting to understand big Virginia and the nic is great without being too heavy. I have also done a 50/50 blend using McClelland Bulk 2035 Dark Navy Flake that is unbelievably good. I smoked that up in a week and cellar-ed the rest, and looking forward to that. However, I am finding it hard to leave it alone! Anyway, I have changed my tune about RY. I do like it, but it is not nearly a stand alone favorite. Just a go to for a good strong smoke.

Brother Of The Leaf Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Brother Of The Leaf (8)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

This is my first Dunhill blend. Upon opening this tin I was greeted by notes of fig and raisins. I also picked up subtle hints of coacoa. The milk chocolate brown and leather shaded ribbons packed nicely. As I drew the flame near, the leaves curled up as if eagerly greeting their ashy demise. The white smoke began very smooth and mild and developed a very tiny bite, perhaps from over sipping. This is the first time I've touched my pipes in probably close to a year unfortunately, so I'm a bit out of practice, but I digress. While the flavor isn't great it certainly isn't off putting either - slightly sweet, I also get the taste of raisins, maybe plumb, and a very tiny bit of spice. It is however a tiny bit bland IMHO. As the tobacco burns it produces a black and grey ash. About half way through the bowl the ember died down, requiring me to give it an additional light. The room note is a bit sweet, but since this is my first bowl and I'm smoking alone I haven't had the opportunity to get an external opinion. While I would recommend this to a slightly seasoned pipe smoker such as myself, it does have a larger amount of nicotine than most other pipe tobaccos I've smoked, so it comes with a bit of a warning. I think this would be a good after dinner sipper when sitting out on the porch smoking with friends and family that are not prone to turning up their noses to the smell of pipe aromas.

=Edit= My second bowl after allowing it to dry out is more pleasant. While it is still a very strong smoke, the taste is more noticeable. My mom, who does not enjoy the smell of pipes in the least, sat next to me for about half the bowl, so the room note seems to be fairly tolerant. I'm going to keep this at a 3/4 stars, however. I'll update on my next bowl.

marosi Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
marosi (67)
Strong Very Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

First off, do not be tempted to label this an "aromatic" in the common sense of the term, even though it has some added flavor. Many, many pipe tobaccos are spritzed with something whether you know it or not (if you don't believe me, then read G.L. Pease's discourse on the subject on his website in answer to less well informed persons who insist on smoking only what they think are "unflavored" tobaccos). This is flavored in a very english style, and that is not a category which I personally term as "aromatic." How many of you consider 1792 Flake an aromatic when you sit down to smoke a bowl? So yes, this has some sort of flavoring, which I do not find comes through much in the taste at all, but no, you are not going to experience something like an American drugstore blend or one of the Larsen offerings when you crack your first tin of this.

With that said, this is a very fine VA smoke, and somewhat unique. It reminds me a great deal of Gawith's best brown flake. When dried out properly it is a cool smoke, and offers a great deal of flavor. For those who say this tastes like nothing, I am not sure what they are doing wrong. It may be that it is being smoked at too high a moisture content, which has a tendency to mask subtle flavors. This is indeed flavorful. It is not complex like a mixture of different tobaccos might be, but it is rich and heady. to me it provided a very clear VA flavor profile, with little bite. I do not notice the flavoring in the smoke, and what others may think is its presence could in fact be the processing of the VA's (or it could be that I just have a palate which has been rendered into shoeleather over the years). It burns easily with little fuss if you tamp it every now and then.

The thing to be cautious of with this blend is that it can be somewhat strong in the nicotine department. I am not overly sensitive, but I still smoke this in smaller bowled pipes. It is interesting to think about the fact that this is an older blend, and pipes in general were much smaller in the olden days. Keep that in mind if nicotine gives you fits, because you may render yourself unconscious if you fill up a big pipe with this stuff. Smoke a little, slowly, and enjoy what it has to offer, which is not insubstantial.

dedalto Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
dedalto (24)
Strong Medium to Strong Medium to Full Strong

First, I am reviewing a pipe tobacco called Royal Yacht by Orlick. I am not reviewing Dunhill's Royal Yacht becasue Dunhill no longer produces tobacco. They stopped in late 70's. To compare this to the original is like comparing a deep double dark chocolate malt to a glass filled that brown gooey stuff young children use now to make chocolate milk. The original Dunhills,the best of them mind you, had a smoothness, a richness not found as a matter of course in tobaccos today with an always more than adequate amount of ole Nic on hand. Quite possibly they bought up and stored massive amounts tobacco and let them age. But they could produce some duds as well. Their My Mixtures always left me confused. But when they got something right, they were breath taking.

Now having rambled on to the point As I said I am reviewing Orlick's tobacco, Royal Yacht, and as that is the tobacco in question, I would say it is pretty tasty.

The pouch aroma is accurate. The moisture level was about right, and the combination taste of plums and chocolate combined with use of high quality leaf gives a wonderful taste as well as full and lasting aroma.

You should be careful of the nicotine hit if that is something that bothers you because this baby can produce it. But not always. I think how much you smoke and how fast creates different nicotine, but I could be full of it.

I give it three stars, but was tempted to give four because it is such an unusual smoke

WmZiggy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
WmZiggy (76)

I received a tin of RY at Christmas and it has aged since then. So my tin has about 6 months age on it. It is a tin of the new Dunhill release. Has a nice plum note to the nose upon opening. It's a shag cut. It has a nice moisture content, and burns well producing nice, complex notes of plum, nuts, and subtle sweetness. A smooth smoke which burns to a fine white ash. I enjoyed this Virginia/Burley blend very much.

Darth Vader Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Darth Vader (110)
Strong Medium Full Very Pleasant

Really nice. Chocolate, plums, figs. So tastey my wife siad she could almost eat it. Beautifully smooth whilst delivering a full flavor and heavy nicotine hit. As others have suggested, this is nicotine squared! Dunhill are master blends and Orlik is putting them together to perfection. 10/10

Very Strong Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

No need to say this is hiqh quality tobacco, with a very unique flavor, although it's not my cup of tea. Smoke carefully, its nicotine content is very high. I still remember my first bowl, I had to lay down for an hour until the dizziness receded.

As a side note, a friend told me once that he didn't like Royal Yacht until he tried it at the sea. According to him, it was a totally different smoke. I haven't found the opportunity to try his theory. Maybe one day I will, and I'll be happy to edit this review.

Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

The plum and figs are pleasantly strong in the tin. For me, this took a somewhat tight pack, but it lit well on one match with a prelight & a slight tamp.

The smoke was very smooth, and I must say there were billows of it! I didn't get any fruit in the smoke like with some cheaper blends, but it there were hints of sweetness. The underlying tobacco was rich and satisfying.

edit 3/30/14 have revisited this, and found it more enjoyable than the first tin was. Therefore upped the rating

Stan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Stan (165)
Strong Mild to Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I have tried the past three RYs - Murray, Orlik I and Orlik II.

Orlik I was a bit more refined, more consistent in flavor, and smoother than Murray's version. It took me years and several attempts before I could smoke Murray's RY, it seemed so strong. Orlik I solved that.

A full Virginia, with some flavoring for sure, but cool, smooth, and rich at the same time. Can't identify the flavoring, but it's not very sweet. But it is delicious (red wine-like, rose-like, etc.), if you like it. If you don't like that flavor, move on. Plenty of body. A shag or narrow ribbon cut. Easy to pack.

Orlik II seems the same as I, but maybe more body even. Of course, my Orlik I tins have had a few years to mature or smooth out more, so maybe that's the difference. Still too strong to begin with IMO.

A unique blend that I crave from time to time. I will always keep many tins on hand. Recommended to full Virginia crowd.

fireball Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
fireball (36)
Very Strong Mild Medium Pleasant

Full update here after perservering with a couple more tins. Warning, this sweet, dark fine shag will blow your socks off with its Vitamin N hit. I consider myself of pretty strong constitution but even I have to watch when I smoke just half a Group 1 bowl of RY. If you can stomach it, it hits very high peaks, rich, sweet, full bodied, it has a great roomnote and as long as you don't rush it, smokes cleanly and smoothly in any pipe. Not for the faint hearted, but Va lovers who have eaten and are sitting down could well love it.

BingCrosby Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BingCrosby (72)
Very Strong Mild Mild to Medium Strong

What quality tobacco! If you want something mellow and yet strong this fits the bill perfectly.. I find it even stronger than irish flake maybe a little less strong than 1792.. It has a unique flavor that is hard to describe. Some casing is clearly used but it is blended in such a way where it tastes like a natural tobacco. Not for everyone due to the nicotine content but the flavor is mellow enough to be a good introduction to stronger tobaccos.. Handles beautifully - stays lit doesn't bite much.

M.Toney Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
M.Toney (59)
Very Strong Mild to Medium Very Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This review is based only on aged tins of the Murray's version & original Dunhill blends dating back to the early 70s. The tin aroma reeks of fermented black currant, maybe a little chocolate, boiled figs, fruits & spicy flavorings that I can't begin to describe. This could have been called Royal Yummy. What a travesty...I've seen many reviews on this site where quality blends are downgraded because of their strength. My advice?...If you can't handle strong tobacco, don't buy it.

A very complex blend with a good burning quality. Very tasty & my favorite thus far out of about fifty quality blends sampled to date. The Murray's version is exceptional and this twenty-five year old tin of the Original Dunhill blend is beyond that. The older stuff smoked smoother due to its age but both versions are about identical. The strength was about the same but age from the Original blend facilitates its alluring quality.

The writing on the tin states: "Exceedingly mild with a grand rich flavor." It is that but also packs a nicotine punch. Good tobacco flavor comes through from top shelf leaf. I reach for this when I want complete & total satisfaction from a smoke session. I try to keep a tin open at all times.

Royal Yacht doesn't bite in the least & can be sipped for excellent flavor or drawn exceedingly with equally satisfying results. I'm not too keen on the "old" Orlik version because of a reduction in the flavoring. I will update when I try the "new" Orlik version.

I'm presently enjoying a bowl that just came from a twenty-five year old tin. Still plenty of moisture with tiny sugar crystals clinging to the leaf & sparkling in the light. Truly a remarkable concoction. Dunhill's Royal Yacht traverses the bounding main with strength & stability & wins the Blue Ribbon.

If you're after strength plus flavor, go sailing on the Royal Yacht. I sense that there may be some strong, heavily disguised cigar leaf in this blend...either that, or a reconstituted blend conversion. Therefore, IMHO, this blend merits a four ** + rating. Sampled from a 2S Dunhill Shell Briar & a size two Stanwell...

SirGawain Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SirGawain (5)

I'm too young to remember the original Dunhill offerings; by the time I was old enough to take up the pipe at 17, alas, the old Dunhill blends were on the way out. That being said, however, the Orlik offering of this recipe is a fine choice judged on its own merits. It is, to be sure, excellent quality leaf, and of an excellent, consistent cut. It benefits from a very little drying from the tin (for my taste, at least), but not much. Other reviewers have noted tasting every flavor here from orange to chocolate, but the flavor they taste is none of these. The flavoring used is tonquin, the famous derivative of the tonquin bean, Dipteryx Odorata, long used as a flavoring agent in pipe tobacco. I do like the taste, which is spicy and somewhat vanilla-ish, but as it is quite strong, I prefer it used rather more on the side of sparingly. This is the same flavor used in Samuel Gawith's "1792 Flake" (known as "Cob Flake" in the UK). But I must say here that I greatly prefer Royal Yacht to 1792 Flake because, although the latter contains Gawith's characteristically superior-quality leaf, the amount of tonquin flavor used in 1792 is too overpowering for me to enjoy; overpowering even to the point, indeed, where I have become a bit nauseated. I am quite certain that it was not the strength of the nicotine in the leaf, either, but the strength/amount of the flavoring--I have tolerated and liked other Gawith offerings quite well. If you like the taste of 1792 but find the amount of flavoring used to be rather daunting, as I do, then try Royal Yacht. I daresay you will be very pleasantly surprised. I myself shall keep this in regular rotation. My study looks like a well-stocked tobacconist's shop, and yet I've gone through a tin of this blend (alone) in a week. The leaf is well cut, as I have said, and burns slowly, coolly, and consistently, down to the fluffy white ash characteristic of the blend. The room note is also quite good, and particularly so because it is not overpowering. My young neighbor, who is 15 and attends me occasionally, usually with a piqued curiosity to "test the smell" of any new blend to see if she likes it, said Royal Yacht "smelled curiously good, and somewhat old, like the interior of some exotic little antique shop." I smoke this in a smaller (Dunhill group 4 size) Amboselli meerschaum apple, the Amboselli meerschaums being my preferred pipe in general. I would advise smoking this mixture in a meer as I do, because I am certain it will scent a briar rather quickly. I believe that the old Amboselli meers suit these types of more strongly flavored (i.e., "perfumed," if you like) mixtures better, anyway, as they tend to absorb excess moisture more readily (and, consequently, color a favorite meerschaum more quickly in the process). However, I also have a small Italian "pocket apple" briar pipe dedicated to this blend also, and it does very well there, too. In summary, if you dislike tonquin flavorings or the older, more perfumery "Lakeland-type" scents, it is doubtful that Royal Yacht will be a favorite. But if stronger flavors don't put you off, and you particularly enjoy said flavors/scents applied with a careful, judicious hand, then you owe Royal Yacht a fair try. Taken for what it is, a relaxing European-style aromatic, it is a VERY enjoyable tobacco, indeed. I am VERY pleased to see this appearing on our American shelves again, and do hope it will enjoy a permanent place of residence. Three-and-a-half stars.

Pseudo Nim Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pseudo Nim (110)
Strong Very Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Oh I am so glad I did not try this years ago, before the Dunhill drought, I fell in love with this straight away and I would have sorely lamented it's temporary loss.

Now please don't ask me what I'm tasting, I'm a Philistine, we tend not to worry about such trivialities, just weather we enjoy it or not and I do.

Again this is a fine quality Virginia from Dunhill that is easy to pack and light with a deep rich flavour of something which I enjoy in the evening, burns down to a nice white ash and leaves me with a nice "satisfied" feeling.

Having now smoked several tins of this, it is going into rotation. Well worth 4 stars.

Susanna Hoffs Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Susanna Hoffs (74)
Medium to Strong Medium Medium Tolerable

I liked Royal Yacht when you could get it.

Primarily because it smelled and tasted of raisins. Absolutely HUGE nicotine hit, which I didn't mind at all.

Liked it's dark presentation, and olde worlde tin design. That said the last time I smoked this was around 2004. I certainly wouldn't pay the going rate for it now. I love the way this stuff is sold (sorry, circumnavigated) on ebay "..contents not for consumption. Bid is for tin only" Yea right... Why would anyone want to pay £35 for a tin...!!!!!

I remember the strength of it above all. Dark virginia reeking of figs and raisins, with a knock out punch for the unsuspecting noob. Which I was at the time.

RIP Dunhill...

(2011 Update)

Since its reintroduction, I have found it not as it once was quality wise. It is also a lot harsher and not as fruity as I remember it being. This has lost a star as a result.

Planet Scott Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Planet Scott (60)
Very Strong Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

Update:

I found 2 tins of this blend my father had stashed away that has to be at least 10 years old. He died in 2007 and was no longer a regular pipe smoker for several years prior to his death. That being said, I opened a tin and really love the smooth, cool burning characteristics. The tin aroma is dark raisin and prunes. It has a nice toasty bready and molasses room note. It still is a very strong nicotine smoke. I use my smallest pipe and stretch it out over a full evening to not over dose on it. Still, such a luxurious and rich pleasing smoke. It is very moist ribbon cut, but dries quickly, packs and burns well.

I don't recommend this to new smokers, however, if you go at it slowly, it is a damn nice blend.

--------------------------------------------------------------

My father loved this blend. He gave me a tin as a gift. Sadly, it was not to my liking. It was not bad, just too strong for me. I tried several time to like this, but I could never finish a bowl. If you dislike strong blends, this one is not for you.

Age When Smoked: 10+ years

Similar Blends: Pease Sixpence, just a lot stronger..

Peppino Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Peppino (74)
Medium Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

Please be aware my review comes after 12 yrs of aging. I was given a sleeve and had not been puffing. Well I missed it and started smoking it again. I was amazed how much the yacht changed, the aroma was very soft in the tin and it mellowed quite a bit, it still packs a nicotine punch same goes for some 1792 flake I had aged, I like the nic hit(it's cheaper than Makers:) Both are better smokes after aging( do to the smoothness) I just won't be waiting as long next time around. I don't have much patients for aging tobacco. I don't know how long I'll be here so I best enjoy it now! :) LOL. Seems to smoke best in a Meershaum to me. The flavor comes through clean and untainted.I....IMHO....LOL :)

don1688 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
don1688 (27)
Medium Very Mild Medium Tolerable

What more to say. This is a wonderful VA that has a light flavoring that, to me, does not make much an effect on the taste. VAs are sweet and tangy, not much of an earthy/hay quality. If you have it in your cellar or purchasing on ebay, there is really nothing like it. Have 8 tins cellaring and will be missed when gone.

quantumboy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
quantumboy (130)
Medium to Strong Very Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

This is Orlik production from a tin that's been aging for about half a year. I have not tried the Murray's version.

This is probably the most difficult tobacco I've rated. Very interesting to say the least. The topping everyone talks about seems very mild to me, beginning in the tin aroma which is quite sweet, but it's mostly a natural Virginia sweetness. Reminds me of apricot when the tin is first opened, then after the tin has been open for a few days it subsides to a typical sweet Virginia hay/grass/herbal scent.

The pack and lighting is effortless since the tobacco starts out on the dry end of the spectrum. The tin aroma carries into the flavor somewhat, but the casing is very mild, added primarily, it seems, to augment the Virginia sweetness. It certainly is not excessive, not even enough for me to consider this an aromatic. I don't like aromatics, but I like this. It is not even close to cloying like many aromatics can be.

Like any quality Virginia, this one must be sipped to be appreciated. It's easy to get puffing to fast, and that will definitely heat up the briar. After kickoff there's a slightly sour tang, which is not objectionable, but that disappears as the bowl slowly but steadily gains strength during the smoke. By halftime the game is well under way with strong Virginia flavors, a richness that seems to ebb and flow, and a steady. gentle VA sweetness that never stops.

The flavors are not fabulous, they are not really complex, but there is something that keeps me coming back to this time and again. It's just plain satisfying. There are elements of the tang and straightforward tobacco flavor that remind me of Orlik Golden Sliced but I like this better.

Now the big question: three stars or four? Tough one! I'm going to have to go with three, since there are a few other VAs out there that I like better, but this one is reliable and tasty and I will very likely be buying more. Perhaps with age it will reach four stars...

eamonclever Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
eamonclever (45)
Strong Medium Full Tolerable to Strong

Because this is a love & or hate product I tried to get hold of some tins.It is a pricey tobacco, but it´s Dunhill ... The tin aroma was inviting for me, because I preferably smoke englisch and va so this was perfect for me to widen the horizons. On the other hand I knew from the start, why this taste is not widely accepted by aro smokers. It brings out a special taste, that is neither sweet nor dull, it is fruity and exotic on the other hand. Ribbon cut is perfect to load your pipe, first char and off you go. Smokes cool down to the bottom, no problems at all. The taste is full, conquers mouth, nose & surrounding. People turn around, nosing some accept it some don´t, but for me this is a pleasant smoke. Maybe I will dedicate a pipe to this tobacco, because I like it´s strength. It is a good evening smoke, but I also load a pipe when I´m working in my homeoffice and my brain needs some doping and vitamin n. Maybe this tobacco is not as it used before, but I think it is a modernized mixture, that has adapted to the needs of the modern smokers guilds that prefer this kind of blending. I like it too. I recommend it to all pipe smokers who like to try tobaccos, that are not sold off every shelf, definitely not for beginners

Medium to Strong Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

I taste the raisins-also some cocoa to my palate, whether it's in there or not. Was not my favorite style, but a good quality tobacco. Packs a punch if smoked too fast, but nice flavors if you take your time.

Demetri Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Demetri (113)
Medium Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I guess my palate has been damaged from too many cigarettes from times past. Reading these reviews of RY made me dig out an old (very old) tin I had in my desk bottom drawer onlly to open it and find about two pipe loads of petrified tobacco. Day before yesterday I stopped at my local tobacconist (El Fumador in Sewickley, PA) to stock up before new taxes hit. He had three tins of RY. In fact these three tins were his entire remaining Dunhill stock (sniff, sniff). I purchased one. Last night I cracked the seal to discover it had lost its vacuum but product was pipe ready (just). I compared it in appearance to my old can. Years ago RY was the alternate to my 965 when I wanted a change. Working from memory as my old tin was far too dry to detect unlit aroma, the new tobacco seemed similar. The new was cut in a much finer ribbon and much lighter in appearance- not nearly as dark as the old. But in the bowl, easily packed and easy to light, this newer one is(was?) a winner for me. Not an "English" in my book, but perfect as the alternate as I used its predecessor. NO bite, even when pushed (I tried on purpose). Stayed lighted throughout clear to, and through, dottle. Taste was delicious. I liked the old and love the new. Heady? Yes, still has plenty of nicotine. I typed out a review earlier today, got distracted and by the time I went to submit review I was logged out and lost it. So...I smoked another bowl just to see if I felt the same; and I do. I must return and buy two others tins and then get with the times and find something readily available in future. I will miss this when it's gone.

Top D Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Top D (10)
Medium to Strong None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable

I usually don't smoke on the deer stand, but I've filled two of my four tags, was by myself (son at work, so I'd have to drag the deer solo), and was enjoying my coffee so much. Filled a corncob with R.Y. and lit up. I swear, the black coffee and pipe were never so good. It was 28F, sunny with no wind, the smoke was going straight up. This blend is the perfict outdoor smoke, even in a half broke-in corncob, it's just right. I usually use wooden matches, but used a butain this morning to stay away from the sufler smell spoiling my hunt. Back in the truck I switched to matches, and the wood just adds to the flaver.

Stuffed and lit a second bowl while I was cleaning my hog. Tamped down with my pinkie and didn't have to relite until half the bowl was done. This tin has been open for about a month and is still right. If 5 stars were possible, it would have them for this morning....

Extremely Strong Medium Medium Pleasant

Update:

I have to downgrade RY to 3 stars since I can?t smoke such so strong tobacco nicotine, it?s just cutting my breath, this is good tobacco once in a year or so..

Original

This tobacco is unique, luxurious, sublime, divine, and outstanding; it has its own class where all other brands are copying each other. If you want to try Royal Yacht, First take a good meal! (Careful with the nicotine, it may hurt!) Forget whatever you smoked before in your life and try to pay attention to the subtle and deep flavor, Congratulation! You are smoking the best of DUNHILL

jankoez Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jankoez (67)
Strong Mild to Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Once upon the time, when Old Master was walking on this Earth, his tobaccos were class for its own. Nowdays, others are producing for Dunhill (who knows why?) however even such, mostly they are very, very good.

Royal Yacht is one of these fine blends. Full, rich, strong and burning well.

Not for beginners, not on empty stomach.

wintermute Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
wintermute (59)
Medium to Strong Mild Medium to Full Strong

I have just recently purchased a tin of the Yacht. When you open the tin you get the musty, tang aroma of Virginia. The tin I got seemed to have the appropriate amount of moisture and the tobacco was ready to smoke. Packing was easy, but the cut seemed to lend itself to a lighter packing style. This becomes important later. Royal Yacht lights easily and takes only a light tamp to get an eaven field to burn properly. The adventure now truly begins. Royal Yacht produces an unreal amount of smoke and it is very sweet at the first few puffs. It takes about that long for the flavoring to burn off and you can get down to the heart of the matter. I would say that the flavoring is brandy, but I don't really know because it doesn't hang around long enough to be observed. The natural tobacco taste comes through with a vengeance. The first part of the bowl is bright like a summer day and then evening comes on. The last half of the bowl is full of flavor and nicotine. Do not operate heavy equipment or drive until you know how Royal Yacht is going to affect you. If effects last more than an hour, party on! Seriously, though, the nicotine level is really high and you should have a full meal before smoking. I smoke Prince Albert and am used to high nicotine levels, but this is somewhat more toward a cigar hit than your typical pipe tobacco offering. Don't bother reading the paper while smoking this, because you won't be able to concentrate on it by the time you get to the last third of the bowl. I mean this in a good way. Evening turns to night and the last puffs are dark indeed. The ash is a very nice light gray and practically falls out of the bowl when tipped. By the way, a bigger bowl is best to get all of the complexity. Overall, I'd recommend this to any real Virginia fan. However, you'll have to do without the perique and Latakia that seems to pop up in most Virginia-based blends. This one is a straight shooter. If you smoke aromatics and see the word sweet associated with this blend, don't be fooled. Virginia sweet is a world away from cherry sweet. I say this as a smoker of aromatics who has recently branched out into the world of burleys and some Va-Per blends. By the way, the room aroma is like a fire place, but the wife hates this stuff as much as anything else I've tried. To put this last note in perspective, she'll tolerate Presbyterian Mixture, but won't even give this two sniffs before sending me and it outside.

Redd Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Redd (117)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

A great Dunhill blend. A nice sweet toated Virgina with a gentle aroma.

Irishlefty Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Irishlefty (19)
Strong Mild to Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I had a difficult time reading reviews of Royal Yacht. I realize that all of us have different taste but wow, really different when it comes to this blend.

Personally I love everything about this blend except the price. I could (and have upon occasion)smoke this all day. It has the nicotine kick that I crave yet enough flavor without the sticky overly sweet taste of many blends.

I can see how some people might be a bit put off with the nicotine - if you aren't used to it or don't like a nico punch, this is probably not the tobacco for you.

I find this easy to light, easy to maintain lit, a pleasant smoke from start to finish without bitterness. It can bite - sometimes I draw too hard and fast and this will bite back a bit but not all that bad.

My favorite of all the Dunhill's with Nightcap coming in second.

Glorfindel Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Glorfindel (80)
Medium to Strong Very Mild Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This is the most reliable VA I have smoked. Reliable you say? Yes, it always smokes the same and in various pipes of my collection.

It has the VA tang I love, a light topping that compliments the tang rather than masking it. Light tea with a faint hint of lemon? Others have said so and I agree.

No latakia, turkish, cavendish, oriental, or perique - just VA and I like it. I also like these others in various mixes - but only when I'm "hungry" for them.

This blend could be said to bite and that would be accurate - it bit me the first few times, but I learned to smoke it properly and it is simply a strong VA that need not bite with care.

Nicotine is medium to strong, perfect moisture, burns evenly and with few to no relights.

Also, I have noticed that I like this blend much more after 2-3 beers. I expect that is normal, RY being from the UK and all where a lot of this must have been smoked (and perhaps designed) by folks who frequent the pubs there.

If it didn't go well with a pint or 2, that simply would do now would it? :)

Also, the name and tin art inspire many first time purchases I expect, as they did with me;)

Yeah, I'll take another trip on the Yacht.

Thanks,

Ethan

Griswold Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Griswold (18)
Strong Mild Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I smoke Dunhill's Royal Yacht on a regular basis since I took up the pipe again in 2001 and IMO it is perhaps the only blend that benefited from the transfer from Murray's to Orlik. The smoke is still thick and mouth-filling, the tobacco taste is still great -earthy, nutty with just the right amount of tart sweetness, but the flavouring is less intense than during the Murray production and most important, the moisture content is now just about perfect right from the tin.

During the Murray production I smoked a tin once in a blue moon, but now I always keep a tin open. I like it best in small bowls and at all times of the day; though a novice might be advised to try it on a full stomach.

I can recommend RY to everyone who likes strong, high-quality tobacco and to the reviewers talking down this fine blend I say:

If RY was that bad, do you think it would have been around for so long?

Jaybee Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jaybee (77)
Strong Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Just what the world needs..........another review of Royal Yacht! I have to say that I like this tobacco, but only like to smoke it occassionally. It has great flavor and a nice burn rate, but one has to be careful not to overpuff it....Not because it will bite, but rather because it builds strength very quickly and becomes overwhelming. All-in-all a nice distraction from my normal fare.

Update:

My experience with the new version has proven to be very pleasurable. I would agree that the flavoring is more subdued and the virginias don't seem to be aged as much. Having said that, I believe this remains true to the original. Smoked slowly ( and this is the key) it delivers a rich virginia flavor with a satisfying nicotene hit that leaves me totally satisfied.

Connoisseur Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Connoisseur (44)
Strong Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

I have smoked this tobacco on and off for many years. The controversy surrounding this stuff is understandble as consistency seems to be the biggest problem. The flavour seems to change ever so slightly with every batch (and blender it seems).

That flavour is another thing (hardly 'Yak' IMO) but I cannot for the life of me work out how to describe it; sort of a sweet fermented fruit - almost artificial, but at the same time intriging.

Novices may also be confused by the 'exdeedingly mild'label reference: This is a strong tobacco in all accounts and not for the faint hearted. However, it is velvety smooth, rich, has a good nicotine level, and above all, burns nicely for the relatively moist weed it is.

For me, I enjoy this once in a while esp after a heavy meal (never on an empty stomach), as it certainly aids digestion. Also the flavour (whatever it is) is really quite nice, rich - but not too sweet.

Philo Beddoe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Philo Beddoe (180)
Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

I was prepared for a rather strong English tobacco with a subtle flavor, what I got was a tobacco that smelled of unsweetened tea with a slight lemony overtone. I packed the bowl and lit up, it tasted just like it smelled.

Like all of the other Dunhill blends I have tried, Royal Yacht is composed of quality tobacco stock. I found the nicotine level to be quite reasonable and even rather light compared to Nightcap. The room aroma is, as my wife said , "a foul stench". I won't be buying this again, but I can see the appeal to those of a different palette.

Not my cup of unsweetened lemony tea.

UPDATE:

For some reason I decided to try Royal Yacht again several years ago and I now find it delicious. I cannot say why it has changed for me, but my tastes have definitely grown fond of this unique blend.

BigSwede Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BigSwede (80)
Medium to Strong Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

This is an update: The original review was posted 8 years ago. I am to a point where I have one everyday/all day smoke (Havana Daydream) and Royal Yacht for the few times a week I need something different. I know it says "aromatic" but this is unlike all others. After 8 yrs I still can't quite describe the flavor. Mostly fine not-quite-sweet VA's and a hint of something like raisins. It took me smoking a tin with many different pipes and at different times of the day to "get" this one. Highly recommended. Original follows:

On the strength of the recommendation of a few of our more esteemed colleagues I bought a tin of this and have found it an interesting and enjoyable smoke. I light this very carefully, holding the match an inch or two above the bowls catching a few strands at a time and take my time. After a tamp, a second slow light it turns into a warm, smooth but nonetheless rich smoke. I can just about smoke a whole bowl without any (or maybe one) relighting. The flavor is a bit distant and discerned only by sipping. Nothing like the usual aromatics which so often overshadow the underlying tobacco. Smokes down to a dry white ash. I like this better as a first pipe of the day. I can only imagine what it used to be, but in it's present incarnation is worth a try. Its now a part of my regular rotation.

Ducksbreath Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ducksbreath (115)
Extremely Strong Mild to Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

November, 2010. I have tried the new Royal Yacht (newly available in the US that is) and it is, in a word, different and better ! Wait that's two words. Still, if you're a fan of Very Full Bodied tobaccos, this is a must try.

It is easier to smoke and more rounded than the last iteration I bought in the US (I still have 30 tins). The new RY does not need to be dried out but is at almost perfect moisture. The topping is more prominent in the tin yet less prominent when smoking. This is still a very potent, straight tasting tobacco, but somehow less harsh and alkaline than the old RY (1994-2004) and it burns cooler than before too.

Not only is the topping slightly stronger in the tin but also the tobacco itself smells more powerful, and maybe I detect some faint hint of dark fired. Some more burley mixed in with the VA ? Who knows...

I feel the new topping is more palatable, a bit less mysterious and will appeal to a broader range of pipers. In other words, it is much less "polarizing".

I know this sounds like the new Royal Yacht has somehow been toned down but it is just as Grand as before, with improved smoking characteristics. What more could you want ?

If they've done the same to the "new" Nightcap, London Mixture, etc. then Dunhill is back at the top of heap in a lot of categories. I wish they had kept/resurrected Elizabethan Mixture though.

D.B.

*I must update this again. Apparantly the first few "Orlik" tins were not representative of the product which is out now. The last two tins of Orlik RY I have tried have me agreeing with Paddy's observations: all the strength and body of the old blend is here, but the topping seems to have disappeared almost entirely. Also, the new RY seems a little "young". So the ship sails again...

*Update. Well I've just finished a bowl of the new, Orlik produced RY and it has changed. This is a kinder, gentler Royal Yacht, and it will probably make more friends than it looses. I've changed the strength rating from very strong to medium to strong.

As I said, I've just finished my first bowl of the new RY and I could have another. That has never happened to me in 3 years of smoking the old RY: one bowl and the last thing I'd want is another one.

That said, many will find this still plenty strong. However I can inhale the new RY (though I don't) even toward the bottom of the bowl.

The new RY needs to be rubbed out a little, but comes at the right moisture level (a welcome change). The darker tobacco in the tin is almost a broken flake. The added essence is exactly the same, as far as I can tell. But the overall experience is sweeter, less alkaline, less acrid, less harsh. But not as much depth either. And the smell in the bowl, or the nose, is not as nutty as the old RY.

The new RY has a very alluring sweetness, however, almost a chocolate undertone that I think many people will like. The trade off is much less tingle and much less spice, and it's not quite the roller coaster ride either. *

Fairly natural aroma in the tin (after airing out a while), the smoke has flavorings with hints of ginger, spice, dried fruit and perhaps chocolate. In short, nothing that prepares one for the 2 tons of nicotine which is about to fall on one's head.

This is perhaps the strongest tobacco which is not harsh, cloying, or overwhelming to the palate, at least for me.

The room note is reasonable and RY is what I smoke when out in public. ER, my city has just banned public smoking...well if I could smoke in public, this is what I would smoke, since the extra nicotine would help keep me calm among the anti smoking goons.

RY can get alkaline in the bottom half of the bowl and goes well with coffee. I have not decided if RY smokes better in a Calabash shaped bowl or not. Recommended but be warned.

Strong Medium to Strong Medium to Full Strong

I do smoke this regularly and it is very satisfying. I don't know how this could be an all-day smoke unless you are very limited in how many times per day you light up. Small pipe, draw very easy, terrific smoke. I suggest either a filter type pipe or a corncob will do best for this blend. If you have trouble finding any real tobacco taste in a pipe, this should do the trick! Update: I had to write an addendum to my review. I have sampled about 80+ quality pipe tobacco mixtures in the last year or so. After burning out somewhat on English blends or blends somewhat heavy with Latakias of various qualities, I find Royal Yacht a welcome diversion from the 965 types that are so common. The Virginnia tobacco in R.Y. is sublime. Just enough high quality flavor to make it interesting. Delicious!(08/30/2004)

Update: The new R.Y. is very good. I wouldn't call it an improvement over the original but with some cellaring time it could be...(10-07-2005)

Very Strong Extremely Mild Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Aah! Royal Yacht, we finally meet...

Appearance and Tin aroma: Mostly mahogany and dark matured VA leaf with some lighter strands here and there. Tin aroma is kind of fruity, but also slightly sour and musty. Smells good to me though.

Packing and Lighting: You must let this air out a bit for best results. Packk lightly with just a gentle tamp once the bowl is full. Lit without a hitch if the tin is aired out a bit (1hr. with lid off is sufficient).

Initial Flavor: This starts out nondescript. It tastes like a mild matured VA at first but begins to develop as you smoke it.

Mid-Bowl:The topping, whatever it is comes out at this point and mixes wonderfully with the leaf. This blend gets into the zone easily.

Bottom of Bowl: Still tasty, but strength builds exponentially.

Overall: I really enjoyed this blend and will be stocking it in my cellar (empty drawer in my office, LOL!)You do have to respect this blend due to its strength both in flavor and nicotine. I prefer group 3 bowls max and let it go out several times for a 2 hour pleasure trip. It can make your lips numb if smoked quickly or make you green, you have been warned! The room note is pleasant both to smoker and non-smoker alike. I particularly like the note it leaves in the car, kind of like baked ginger bread. Anyway, I liked this blend and do recommend it to the seasoned pipe smoker. Will it replace some of my go to Balkans or VA's? No, but it is a welcome occaisional treat. Definitely a classic! Enjoy...

scootertrash Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
scootertrash (10)
Strong Very Mild Full Pleasant to Tolerable

After reading ALL of the reviews here I thought it was time I try Royal Yacht. I'm glad I did. Based on the information from some of the previous reviews, I would guess I have a tin blended by Murray's & probably with a little age to it. Upon openning the tin I was greeted with a fully rubbed tobacco that was not too wet or dry, not sticky at all, and had a great aroma of fermented tobacco. I don't doubt that there are added flavorings, but in this tin they are definatly way in the background. Maybe age has had an effect on them. The color of the tobacco is mostly dark brown with some reds present and some sugar crystals forming on the leaf. Smoking RY is great. It has a great full tobacco flavor and any added flavoring is way in the background just supporting it. It is the coolest all Virginia tobacco I have ever smoked. Tongue bite is not a big problem with me, but RY didn't even give me what I call tongue tingle (not a bad thing) that I experience with Virginia tobaccos. I've been smoking RY all day long with no problem. (I agree with pipestud, it does go good with the morning coffee) Smokes dry to the bottom of the bowl leaving an almost white ash. I'll definatly be buying more of this. It won't replace my favorite of many years, Mac Baren's Burley London Blend, But it will have a place right up there with it.

Lancelot Gobbo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Lancelot Gobbo (23)
Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

Many people have tried to describe the scent of this tobacco on opening the tin; some say it's chocolate, and some identify it as fruit. To me, it is exactly like the filling in a fig newton (fig roll to the Brits). Since I have always been fond of these, It's not surprising it turns out to be a tobacco that suits me well. It has a reputation as being very strong in the nicotine department, but I think this is perhaps the case for those who inhale their pipesmoke, or who puff too fast. I think if you smoke contemplatively there will not be a problem. The one drawback is that it does tend to be a bit wet - leaving the tin to dry a little is a good idea. Smoked in a Kirsten you can see exactly how much moisture it does produce - a great deal. I also find it leaves a strong smell of its topping in a pipe that isn't as pleasant as when it was in the tin. It smokes with a surprisingly mild flavour given its fearsome reputation. There's little tendency for it to bite, and it is pleasantly peppery to exhale through the nose. If you smoke this alone, I find the smell of my hand that has held the pipe is one of fruit rather than smoke, which is a little disconcerting. All in all it makes a pleasant change from my usual english mixtures and I would recommend that you try it out if you haven't already. I can see that it will always inspire a 'love it or hate it' response, and I'm one of those who love it!

OSR Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
OSR (78)
Very Strong Mild Full Tolerable

Oy vey... another Royal Yacht review.

Buy a tin. Open the tin. Seal the tin back up. Return to the tin in a month and enjoy a great smoke.

Why do people tend to be polarized on this tobacco? I can only offer my two cents as two reasons:

The first reason, I believe, is the sheer, unadulterated "nicotine bomb" that is Royal Yacht. I don't know what VA's are in this mixture but they're quite potent. If you don't like nicotine then stay away from this tobacco.

The second reason, I believe, is that when this tobacco is smoked fresh from an opened tin that it has not had time to breathe. Unleashing that vacuum vapor and allowing the VA to breathe is the key to this (and some other) mixtures. It's taken me 20 years and countless dollars to figure this out.

Of course, what works for some doesn't work for others.

Old Royal Yacht vs. the "new" Royal Yacht? No clue. However, the current Dunhill offering is a fine nicotine bomb if you're looking for such a blend.

There's not a lot of flavoring here if you will open the tin, seal it back up and let it sit for a month. I will smoke about a tin of this a year. I never go without having a tin open. For medicinal purposes, you understand......

I process my RY by opening the tin, letting the tin sit for a few weeks and then taking the entire tin, dumping it into a beer tray and use scissors to cut this into 1/4 inch shards. Then into an old humidor it goes.

Upon lighting, the flavor of very rich VA tobacco hits you and continues down the bowl. No bite here! And if I let this dry out a tad before filling the bowl it smokes even better. Make no mistake, this is a hearty VA mixture which in strength is close to the ropes without the overwhelming flavor.

If you're not wanting a nicotine bomb then leave this stuff alone. The only other Dunhill blend that comes close to this in strength is Elizebethan mixture, another blend that I really enjoy. And oh yeah, I treat the tins of Elizibethan the same way. There's something about opening the tin and letting it breathe that makes the difference.

Baloo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Baloo (7)
Very Strong Mild Full Pleasant to Tolerable

After reading through the reviews of RY on this page, I must say it is pretty underrated in my opinion. Sure, this isn´t a tobacco for the pipe novice, but it is not that bad at all. When opening the tin, you see a dark-brown mixture in the common Dunhill cut. Too moist to pack in your bowl at once, it needs to air out for a couple of weeks.

Then Royal Yacht packs easily and lights to the second match. It burns down dry to a small amount of grey ash. You should be careful to puff slowly, otherwise your tongue will complain and you´ll be overwhelmed by the amount of nicotine contained in this blend.

The room note is quite nice and also tolerable to non-smokers.

I don´t keep it in my tobacco bar regularly, but when I want something real strong, Royal Yacht is my choice. 7 out of 10 in my personal rating.

Very Strong Medium Full Tolerable

The first time I tried this was back in 1989. I hadn't been smoking long at all and had sampled pretty much all of the OTC blends that had interested me. I found an actual tobacconist near where I lived and discovered the world of tinned tobacco.

I thought the name was interesting and I loved the 1920s style logo on the tin. Naturally this was Murray and Son's version of this old blend.

It smelled delicious, like stewed fruit and brandy. I loaded up my trusty Kaywoodie bulldog and fired it up...excellent taste, quite smooth, delightful...and then I was queasy.

Oh yes. A hallmark of all of the Dunhill blends back then is that they were made with rather potent and well aged tobacco.

It was a long time before I signed on to sail on the Yacht again! That tin lasted a long time...

What's interesting is that I smoked a tin of Nightcap not too long afterwards. I enjoyed that quite a bit, but while strong in flavor, it was considerably milder in strength.

In short Royal Yacht is a classic flavored Virginia. It is for the experienced smoker, and is certainly worth sampling.

Since I can enjoy things like Peterson's Irish Flake these days, I will probably give this old timer another try to see how much I like it now. Tastes do change...

UncleGar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
UncleGar (110)
Strong Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Sheesh. There must have been a passel of bad tins put out a while back. It's just a cased Virginia, and cased lightly at that. No, not with (fill in blank creatively), but fruit. I couldn't place it, but the reviewer about 5 back said currants. Yeah. Very mild currants. Maybe persian pomegranates, it's hard to tell. So why the passion? It's a mild tasting, almost boring smoke that makes my tongue numb and my ears ring if I smoke a big bowl. It prickles my mouth like it contains perique, but then, Three Nuns does these same things and has more tobacco flavor. Maybe I'm the one with a bad tin. Surely there are more exciting smokes out there to get worked up over. OK for a change of pace. It's a good tobacco to characterize reviewers, though.

Update 11/04: This stuff is growing on me. In sniffing the output of my puffs I get freshly ground coffee, much to my delight. A unique VA. Still mild in the flavor sense and I stop at 2/3 bowl to mitigate the strong nicotine, necessary especially because of my sniffing. The smallest bowled pipe I have is dedicated to this blend: a Bossart, whatever that is. It has a metal bulb and fin steam condenser on the stem which really helps. I do believe I'll restock. Upgraded accordingly.

BostonPipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BostonPipe (83)
Very Strong Mild to Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This is one of those blends that over the past twenty-plus years I keep trying once in awhile just to see if my opinion has changed. Well...it hasen't, I still can't stand it. I cannot put my finger on what it is. Maybe the flavouring just hits me the wrong way. I know it isn't the nicotine strength, since my regular choices are mainly from G&H and Peretti's. Maybe it is time to just "let go" and stop trying to like this blend. C'est la vie.

Danno Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Danno (102)
Very Strong Medium Very Full Tolerable to Strong

Zounds! I have smoked rope with less snap than this. Perhaps it is the eery fruit "additive" that causes my head to throb and heart to palpitate. This particular blend was recommended to me by a(drum roll pls)piper who used to smoke 3 packs of camels/day. It is likely one of the only tobaccos he would still be physically capable of tasting...inital flavor has that special Dunhill mix of sickly rich and wreaths of smoke. About 20 minutes in, RY will slap you in the head and run a marathon across your lips and tongue. I haven't ruled out trying this again, most likely simply out of respect for its sheer muscularity, but cannot say i would smoke a tin of this in a few days... NB-Pipestud rates this as his favorite strong blend, which is not surprising, based on his reviews. I believe he could smoke straight sour mash and not find it overly powerfull:)... Nov21/03 After a few more tins, RY and I are in solid. I have dedicated a pipe to this unusual and rather tasty blend. The flavor is indescribable, and my palate can handle multiple bowls. Good Stuff!

Mephisto Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mephisto (32)
Extremely Strong Very Mild Very Full Tolerable

I personaly like it but admit it is not for all. Strong but smooth and certainly unique in taste. If you get the chance give it a try it might grow on you. As a note this is one of the most well behaved blendd I have tried it lights very quickly stays lit till the end and produces a fluffy greay specled ash pluss lasts and lasts. Also be warned that one bowl is usualy good more can be a problem unless you are prepared for the anvil to the head the will certainly follow.

mnadz Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mnadz (66)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable to Strong

First let me say, I have not found many Virginias that I enjoy. When I do find one, I really get into them. My usual diet of blends are usually Latakia or Burley. That said, I was excited to try this after letting it age for almost one year. Sorry to say to those that love it...but not for me. Found it extremely simple, which I think Virginia lovers appreciate. The mild casing did nothing for the tobacco. As far as the quality, packing, lighting and smoke...the usual excellence one would expect from Dunhill. One great thing about RY, is it does deliver nicotine...which I appreciate. Wife (who reviews all room note) did not like it.

Pipe Used: Ben Wades

Age When Smoked: One Year

The Sunday Evening Pipe Smoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The Sunday Evening Pipe Smoker (41)
Very Strong Mild Full Tolerable

Sometimes people refer to Presbyterian as having a farm-like tin note; I'd say that Royal Yacht has that tin note more than Presbyterian.

Royal Yacht is a Virginia based blend, but I'd swear there is Burley in it, simply because of what I think of as the "burley burn" that you get in your throat and mouth. Straight Virginias like Capstan Blue or Cut Virginia Plug I enjoy immensely, but I really didn't get anything of the usual Virginia sweetness here. The retro-hale through the nose was very strong and even the smoke stings the eyes.

In point of fact what I had was a taste of something strong, even harsh. The plum note I didn't pick up whatsoever, either in the taste or in the tin note.

The nic-kick was definitely there, and to be honest that's what I see this tobacco as: a nicotine delivery system, period. For me, if I want that and a bit more of an enjoyable smoke, I would much rather go the SG 1792 Flake route, which has that, but also something more pleasant about it. 1792 was strong but still has me wanting to get another tin, whereas Royal Yacht sits as another jar on the shelf that will take me some while to go through, or perhaps destined to be traded down the way.

C'est la vie. Was worth trying as one of those long-standing blends, but not one I'll find myself cellaring or re-stocking.

THROATHIT Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
THROATHIT (38)
Strong Mild to Medium Medium Tolerable

Strong stuff and I struggle with more than a small smoke of it. I keep this for bedtime. Smoke is very nice and the plumb topping is well managed and mixed so as it enhances rather than dominates the tobacco. Cures the cravings that's for sure.

Pipe Used: Molina briar

Purchased From: lands

crazy owl Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
crazy owl (72)
Medium to Strong Very Strong Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

If you are lucky people that did enjoy the astonising Royal Yacht of yore don´t waste your money and don´t spoil your pipes with this nauseating zombi false revival.I can´t understand the danish smoking perception,they are able to make some of the best pipes in our planet and also to frame the most horrible parfumated,why to say aromatic?,tobaccos only useful for murdering these same briars.Call me fanatical but this is my very humble opinion.

Pipe Used: a lot of briars

Purchased From: local tobacconist

Similar Blends: mc baren crapberry mixture.

JustinCarcerated Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JustinCarcerated (99)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild Unnoticeable

I was sooo wanting to like this blend that I bought 3 tins of it, agin close to 2 years when I opened one...only to be disappointed. In the interest of transparency I'm not a straight -one toby type guy, I couldn't get through most VA flakes (unless married to a burley, perique etc ), same with burley only tins.

No different here, very much like University Flake...err...but without the burley. Weird too I would consistently have to relight twice every bowl despite chugging along, which was aggravating.

If your a Va fan, hit it, quality is a Dunhill trait, and I love many of their blends...this v one, not so much.

Pipe Used: Meers and briars

Purchased From: Pipes&Cigars - who else?!

D.A.M. Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
D.A.M. (9)
Strong Medium Medium Tolerable

What am I missing here? I generally like Virginias and Virginia based blends. Perhaps it's the cough syrup-esque topping that turns me away from this blend. Since buying my tin and emptying the tobacco into a Ball jar 4 months back, I have smoke exactly 3 bowls of this, and after each bowl I'm left thinking, "If only that top note was less pronounced I would really enjoy this blend". My dislike of toppings in general aside, this is not a bad blend, and I can see if you like smoking as an adult form of binging on sweets (remember the kid in grade school who ALWAYS had cheap candy you never heard of before in his pocket?) this might be for you. With all due respect to those who love this, I just don't get it.

Jason h. Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jason h. (47)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

As with all the Dunhill tobacs I have tried, this was not bad. Its kinda raisany and dense. The smell is kind of old fashioned, with nothing to hide. Its one of those "it is, what it is" tobaccos.

samanfromiran Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
samanfromiran (22)
Strong Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Tolerable

really i didnt like this tobacco. i dont like tobaccos that has flavour. the smoke of this tobacco smells like plum .shit.i dont like aromatics!but if you you want a strong tobacco i recommend this blend but i prefer english blends with no flavour.wont buy this again

natibo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
natibo (166)
Strong Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Tolerable

This is a nice Virginia tobacco. It has a little sweetness, which I like. But there is a decent nic content which will make me but it again.

DEN-C1956 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DEN-C1956 (32)
Medium to Strong Medium Medium Pleasant

This is the first 50g tin of this tobacco that i have bought, time will tell if im going to buy it again,its not bad but, i did expect better,although i should not judge it in a bad way just yet, give it a try you may like it.

polaris Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
polaris (9)
Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Medium Tolerable

Not one of my favourite Dunhills. Somehow "flat" for my taste, but other smokers may like it that way.

KahveDelisi Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
KahveDelisi (52)
Strong Mild Full Pleasant

Unique indeed. Thinking over I can't come up with many blends similar to Royal Yacht, except maybe Samuel Gawith Brown no:4?

colt25314 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
colt25314 (42)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

Orlik has done a fine job in resurrecting Royal Yacht. Plenty of strength for me and a cool burning mixture. This is by no means an aromatic and recommended to those whom like natural honest to goodness tobacco.

Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I think I must have received a bad tin or my taste buds are shot, but this doesn't have much flavoring at all. Cut is great , smokes great, although it could get hot if you push it, and I'd buy again. As a matter of fact, I'm going to order more just to see if this tin missed the topping ???

Updated 8/13/12 Well I purchased a second tin just to see what everyone was talking about when it came to the topping ??? I still don't get it, the topping is so mild I have to really search for it, maybe a "Tuity Fruity flavor ?". That said , I do find this tobacco tasty and very easy to smoke. The typical Dunhill ribbon cut, lights and burns great, maybe a little too great as it burns fast and hot. I like to start with a pinch about the size of a walnut , roll it tight, until it is the size of an olive and press it into the bowl. The taste is somewhat "cigaretteish" , but it does have some sweet and sour taste that I like. 2 1/2 stars

Have to agree with reviewer, "scottyspipesebay 06/06/2012", "Just a go to for a good strong smoke"

Update 9/24/2016- Just tried this blend again and I have to take this down to only 2 stars, still 'cigaretteish" , can't find a flavoring ?, and it's boring

Pipe Used: cob

Age When Smoked: new & 2 years old

Capt Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Capt (171)
Mild Medium Medium Tolerable to Strong

Dunhill usually turns out some decent blends. This isn't one of them. I reviewed this in a blind review, so I was unbiased. Tasted like sour milk to me. I didn't not enjoy it at all and have never smoked it again. However, it may be your thing.

AlexL Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
AlexL (26)
Medium to Strong Medium Medium Very Pleasant

I was a bit frightened by horror stories about titanic strength of this tobacco, but it was exaggeration. Yes it's strong but nothing cosmic here; I'd say the strength is on par with Nightcup.

My first attempt went bad, but after buying new Savinelli I've tried once more – and was fascinated. The smell of the tin is autumn, cool sweet falling leaves. The blue smoke is beautiful, the taste is good. Try it in a new pipe, sip slowly. Ideally, do it in a rainy autumn or cold winter. It's not an all day smoke, but definitely worth a try. RY became one of my every day's smokes.

Update 10/07/2012: The topping seems too strong and contradicts my personal chemistry. Still good from time to time, but not every day. 3 stars in place of 4.

Update 05/03/2013 I just can't stand this topping anymore. It leaves bad aftertaste for all day. I definitely do not belong to royal family.

machinebcon Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
machinebcon (50)
Strong Medium Full Tolerable

The Royal Yacht is my favourite tobacco at the moment. It comes in a yellow & red round tin, filled with bronze and dark brown ribbons of tobacco, perfectly conditioned. The tin aroma reminds me of grapes, raisins, nuts and smoked bacon which changes upon lighting the bowl. A very rich and full smoke which tastes like cigarettes with a hint of plum liquor - or just imagine a castrated Erinmore Flake with more punch in the low end. I've got told that the smoke smells quite strong, so probably you don't want to smoke it in front of non-smokers indoors. The N level deserves respect. Still, full score for this classic. Recommended!

LV9 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
LV9 (76)
Strong Strong Full Strong

This blend have been review extensively but I will give you my impressions: very fine cut, the flavoring hits you as soon as you open the tin, the tobacco distribution in my opinion is 60% virginia 40% burley, plum and brandy seem to be the flavor here which is definitely the dividing line either you like or you can't stand it, on the plus size the nicotine level of this will leave anybody satisfied or overwhelmed, My tin was probably 10 years old, I would love to see how the new tins compared to my tin.

Would I buy it again maybe... but for some reason this blends remind me a lot of C&D's Heritage.

Bigdadz Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bigdadz (35)
Strong Very Mild Full Pleasant

As a regular english mixture smoker I rarely smoke VA's. After dinner however, I occasionally crave this one.

The taste is quite distinctive, Sniffing the bowl, I find it has a yeasty bread like aroma. Most VA's I smoke are too grassy, this is one of the rare ones that offer a complexity and depth that make it interesting.

The strong nicotine punch it gives me prevents this one from being smoked too often, but with a full stomach and a strong cup of coffee it works quite nicely.

Definitely a blend to be savoured slowly, otherwise it can become harsh. I really enjoy this one when in a contemplative mood and in need of a change of pace.

Scamp Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Scamp (20)
Strong None Detected Very Full Strong

I'm a big fan of Dunhill Tobaccos, I've smoked a fair few different blends now. But upon smoking this, I realise that I just can't get on with Burley tobacco, in any blend I've tried. That's obviously NOT the blender's fault, but a point that I felt needed to be made. From now on, I shall not be smoking blends with Burley in them.

cgar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
cgar (37)
Medium to Strong Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Lovely smell right out of the tin. Fig, oatmeal, chocolate. Typical orlik/dunhill tin layout of dark brown ribon cut with strands of golden/light brown mixed in nicely. At first one can be a bit put off by this smoke mainly because its tin aroma is strong but its flavor/taste is bit light. You really need to sip on this one to truely pull flavor from it and to keep it from reaching sun like tempatures. Indeed a different/mellow type of smoke that can be rewarding under the right conditions.

05/14/12

Just noting that I have found this tobacco performs way better when lightly dried out. Flavor and smoke both perform at a top notch level. My initial review came off of a fresh tin that had little time to breath. I will be keeping this in my private stock and it will be in the everyday roation.

renwardhoop Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
renwardhoop (106)
Mild None Detected Extremely Mild (Flat) Unnoticeable

Well I don't know. All these reviewers can't be wrong so maybe I'm missing something.

Yes, the open tin aroma is superb ; as described in the blurb, figs & raisins.

However I find it tastless, lacking in character of any kind and as dull as ditchwater. It doesn't smell of anything.

I am halfway through the tin and it would seem these apparent subtelties in the smoke are lost on me.

Perhaps I need a new pipe....

Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Full Very Pleasant

Here we have a rare exception: an Aromatic that is also a great blend. I don't know any of its previous incarnations, only what I can get over the counter at my favourite tobacconists'.

So, tin note: chocolate, with fruit. Some Lychee in there. The leaf is a thin ribbon cut, the colours ranging from yellow to medium brown. There is citrus in there.

My first tin was a bit wet; my second was just right. Accordingly, your mileage may vary. I prefer my taller bowls for this; they make for a slow, steady burn with little maintenance. But this blend will colour a bowl, so I suggest using as few pipes as possible for this blend.

The taste and room note are both excellent; this is one of those blends one can smoke in company without being berated. In the beginning, the taste is a tad sour, but will develop a fruity sweetness throughout the bowlful; the room note gets a little more brown-sugar-ish and malty throughout.

Addendum 2011-08-09: The more I smoke this blend, the more I think that this is what Murray's Erinmore Mixture should have been. Royal Yacht has the tanginess without the nastiness, the strength without the backlash, and just in every respect is what I believe they intended to do with that famous other blend, but failed to do.

PastorPipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PastorPipe (21)
Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Several months ago, I used this to break in a new Kaywoodie. I was not happy. It tasted very strong and bitter. I laid the tin aside. Now I have given it another try and it's perfectly delicious. This is the new Orlik version--I did not have the pleasure of trying either the Alfred Dunhill or Murray's versions. The tin aroma was figgy and sweet like a Christmas plum pudding. It packed beautifully and burned well all the way to the bottom. There was zero tongue bite and no gurgling at all. I smoked this is a Peterson Shannon 05 which gets very hot, so I sipped it gently and the sweetness of the virginias really came out. There were flavors of walnuts, coffee, and raisins. The last third of the bowl became pleasantly woodsy--something about it reminded me of when my grandfather burned the leaves in the fall. The sweetness was there throughout, but never sickeningly or artificially sweet. I think sipping this slowly is the secret. Puffing makes it too hot and that makes it bitter. I very much loved this and it will become part of my regular rotation. However, the nicotine content is very strong and makes my head spin; so I'll smoke it when the work day is done. Highly recommended!

Tripjoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tripjoker (65)

Never tried Royal Yacht in its previous incarnations, so no comparison can be made by me. That not withstanding, this is a very servicable tobacco flavored very lightly with what I suspect is Tonquin. When I say lightly, I don't mean for you to picture 1792, which is Tonquin overload. The amount added is complimentary to the Virginia leaf used. I know they say it is plum flavoring in the notes, but I have to disagree. Either way, it's right on the mark.

The tin moisture at opening will be a bit drier than most Dunhill varieties, and smoking a bowl from a freshly opened tin is not a soggy experience. No drying time needed here at all in my experience. Packs easily, takes to the match readily after the char and smokes clean and sweet down to the heel. One pipe cleaner used on a bowl fresh from the tin ...completely legitimate IMHO.

The flavor at light up will be deceptively light. That will change as you progress through the first third of the bowl. At midbowl this is a solid medium and stays that way to the end. Nicotine is satisfying without being crippling for the lighter weight smokers in our midst.

Flavors start at the grassy level and progressively get darker with hints of molasses, coffee, yeasty bread fresh from the oven and some dark fruitiness lingering in the background. Hints of chocolate peak through from time to time.

After pushing it a bit I experienced no tongue bite, only a slight bitterness from the fast smoking and a significant loss of flavor. As soon as I slowed down and let the ember cool a bit the most pleasant flavors returned. Smoking 2 tins of this, I have come to really like this tobacco. The first tin had me curious but the seconfd tin is what sold me.

I'm a self described Dunhill fan, and this is solid enjoyment, but this is not among my favorite Dunhill blends. Will I have a few tins put back for the occasional reunion? Yes. I have already stocked a couple dozen tins for future enjoyment at intervals. There are many very vice Virginia tobaccos out there and this one will surely have it's place of honor, but will not be my one and only. I still prefer some perique presence so HOTW, Fillmore, Escudo and others will also take their turns in my rotation. This seemed to do best in tall bowled billiards and poker shapes from England and France.

Cheers!

Medium to Strong Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

I smoked this a few times over 30 years ago and don't remember much from the experience and was anxious to reacquaint myself with this blend. When I first re-visited this offering, my tin arrived as a very fresh, riff cut tobacco of a medium to dark brown color. The tin aroma was subtle, but hinted of cocoa and what I perceived to be orange peel. It was ready for smoking right from the newly opened tin. It packed very well and took to the match readily. It smoked fairly cool and dry and did not at all burn fast in spite of the fine cut of the leaf. When fresh, the initial tin note does find its way into the flavor for the first several puffs, but there it ended. It was quite bland and remained so each and every time I smoked it.

Royal Yacht was a very different Virginia experience for me, and one that I didn't care much for. It had very little sweetness, was harsh, and way too strong in the nicotene department - just not enjoyable. I am a fan of Burley and Kentucky when done right, and I feel there may be some Burley or Kentucky leaf blended in with this mix which added to the overall stoutness of the blend - but in a harsh way. I even let this one dry out over time and it did nothing to improve the smoke.

UPDATE:12-3-16: Now dry as tinder but way better for me at this point and upping from 1 to 3 stars. Has a subtle sweetness that I am enjoying at present.

Age When Smoked: At first fresh. Updated review 6 yrs old.

scorpio2billion Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
scorpio2billion (9)
Medium to Strong Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Royal Yacht was the first pipe tobacco I ever smoked. Beginners luck. Since then, I've become a Latakiaphile, but this little can of Virginias keeps me coming back. There's some Burley there, too. I love the wallop it packs, and the gentle sweetness of its leaf. The waft of cocoa powder and Fig Newton that greets me upon opening the tin was a real treat after not being around for the last couple of years. The actual casing used is a plum essence, NOT tonquin. I find the newly available tins to be just as good as I recall. That could just be me being happy to have it back, though. It burns to a beautiful ash, and I love the ribbon cut. I'm a heavy puffer, since I want to smoke as many bowls as I can before I die, but Royal Yacht rewards slow smoking. In that sense, it's like salmon. So there. Royal Yacht is just like salmon.

meerkat Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
meerkat (64)
Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Full Tolerable

Hmmm... not sure on this one.

The smell on opening the tin is all raisins, which I find very appealing. But then I like raisins.

This comes through in the smoke too. The flavours here are dark, rich and sweet in a grown up sort of a way. It reminds me of Hal o' the Wynd but with less toasted flavours.

Some people here have mentioned an odd flavour akin to rotten meat and I get that sometimes, in a subtle but repulsive way. Smoking it in a filtered pipe seems to lessen this phenomenon.

Overall it's good; just my sort of flavour profile, good and strong, high quality weed which packs, lights and burns reliably. It's just got this odd inconsistant taste which rears its ugly head from time to time. Whether this is a reaction to my personal chemistry or due to someother, unknown, cause I don't understand, I have no idea. Which troubles me slightly...

UPDATE...

I've tried RY again recently in a few different pipes and I haven't noticed the unpleasant taste (1 duff tin?). So I'm upping my recommendation of it. If it carries on with this sort of style then it will get to Highly Recommended before long.

A FURTHER UPDATE...

I think I've isolated the "rotten meat" effect mentioned by me and others in these reviews. When smoked in a pipe which has recently known the floral tobaccos of cumbria (the lake district) Royal Yacht produces the unpleasant effect to which I refer. After experimentation it seems that the raisin flavours just don't play nicely with the "soapiness"...caveat emptor(or should it be caveat fumior? My latin is not quite up to it but I'm sure someone on here can correct me).

Tee-dub Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tee-dub (48)
Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Medium Strong

I struggle trying to describe this old girl. The tin reads 'Unique smoking mixture.' I'll say. Unique and unpredictable. A frustrating but alluring mistress. It is full of surprises.

It can be weirdly unappealing or magnificent. It is temperamental, tends to punish anything but the gentlest of sipping, but can be wonderfully rewarding.

The tin note is fruity and soft, with a distinct odor of chocolate. The tobacco is an attractive, finely-cut mosaic of deep browns, and seems unusually soft in texture when packing. These aromas are still present in the bowl when lit, but turn pleasantly bitter.

The topping or fragrance, whatever it is, is subtle, and I'm not persuaded it adds or detracts from the tobacco at all.

Once running, the flavors fall in and out of harmony, and can turn from richly rewarding to slightly off-putting, and back again. Either in the casing or the blending, the flavors of bitter chocolate and citrus meld as the bowl warms, and if treated gently the smoke has a rich, mellow quality I have grown to enjoy.

But this tobacco is temperamental, sensitive, mercurial. More than most tobaccos, it is very sensitive to the briar in which it is smoked, and the libation with which it is paired.

And while it doesn't bite, it can turn on you quickly: an angry harshness lurks just below the surface if this isn't treated carefully. Once cooled again, it regains some composure.

If it's an acquired taste, I haven't quite acquired it yet--but something about it keeps me coming back. Truth to tell, those moments when it's good, it's really good.

Three stars if only because of its venerable past, and for those moments when it rewards patience and care with pure pleasure. Depending on the moment, this tobacco might warrnat five stars, or none.

Maddening, frustrating, yet alluring enough that I return to the tin, again and again.

----------------------------------------

My first impressions of this were that I liked it--but with some reservations. Cancel my reservations. Repeated visits to the tin have only added to its charm. I have found it to be best as a daytime smoke, sipped with a patient cadence in the right briar. In the wrong briar it is punishing. Matched with a bowl that suits it, it is uniquely appealing and satisfying.

newmission Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
newmission (14)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Full Pleasant

Just broke the seal on an old tin. The opening was a fantastic symphony of fruity, spicy and smokey tones. This is a great late night smoke or even an after meal with coffee smoke. I love the full body and the full VA flavor. No bite, no bitterness and really brings out the flavor of a good pipe. Highly recommended for any smoker, especially new smokers. This will allow you to understand a good blend with no frills and little to no caseing.

Virginia lover Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Virginia lover (191)
Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Medium Tolerable

UK tin. Exotic tobacco, nice fermented smell off the tin. There is an essence with a mild perfume/fruity smell that comes and goes when smoked but it adds to the palette of tastes that this tobacco offers. Sweet, tangy with a intermittent floral taste from the essence. Not an everyday or even regular smoke for me but an interesting experience nevertheless.

periqueguy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
periqueguy (43)
Strong Extra Strong Overwhelming Strong

I really believe that this stuff is the remnants of Dunhill's pencil sharpeners. To me this doesn't taste at all like tobacco and I find it actually offensive. Perhaps the only blend from Dunhill that doesn't support their otherwise fine reputation.

NONSUMDIGNUS Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
NONSUMDIGNUS (11)
Strong None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable

This fine-cut ribbon smokes pretty hot. I prefer my va's in either flake or rubbed out flake. Don't let the nicotine sneak up on you when smoking this.

I probably won't smoke this alone but will probably blend it with a milder virginia to use up the sample sent to me.

Big Nick Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Big Nick (74)
Medium to Strong Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

This is the first time that tobaccoreviews.com has let me down. After sifting thruogh the over 100 reviews of this stuff I thought this would be right up my alley. When looking at the reviews on this site I've found that the negative reviews usually tell me more than the positive. The common theme with the negative reviews like too strong, too sweet ...were acceptable to me so I gave it a try. I did'nt find it too strong as much as I found it too rough and furry, like rubbing velvet the wrong way. Although I did'nt inhale it just felt furry in my throat. There were some decent flavors but overall it was pretty dry and uneventful.

The one thing this tobacco proves without a doubt is that opinions are like @$$^*!&$, everyones got one.

SirShaggy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SirShaggy (28)
Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Overwhelming Tolerable to Strong

There are 2 Dunhills I have not liked. This is one of them. I didn't realize this would be so sweet! I could not get through a bowl in 3 attempts. Maybe I am selling this short, I just couldn't get into the flavor, sweetness or the room note. I even let it sit from December through July to see if it would mellow out. It didn't. I gave it away to a friend who really is enjoying it. I think he has a sweet tooth! The tobacco looks nice. It seems to be of high quality, just tasted soaked in sugar to me. I have since found the Tobacco Reviews website and am more careful before trying new tobacco. I try to get an overall about a blend before I decide to try. I hope this helps somebody....

Papillon6 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Papillon6 (24)
Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Medium to Full Tolerable

I've never had my hopes up so high with a tobacco from what I heard to then be let down so badly. This tobacco, even though liked by some was NOT what I was expecting. It has a strong sweetish taste that I could not get used to. It's room note is similar to Three Year Matured but in a bad way...hehe. I LOVE Dunhill blends and even though this is made with high quality tobaccos it is not of high quality taste. I've had dime store bulk tobaccos taste better. I let a tin age about a year and a half with mildly better results as many Dunhill blends get better with age. I do not want to offend anyone who likes this blend but I do not want a newbie trying it then upchucking into the kitchen sink. Dunhill got the name right though, Royal Yacht alright, this stuff will make you sea sick! I have tried puffing it slowly with my old stash of it with a slightly amusing experience but I'm not dumping any more of my hard earned cash into buying more.

Older tins are better tasting then new ones I've heard but I'm not going to give someone a lot of money to find out. Didn't know what you were thinking Mr. Dunhill with this one...

Latakia Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Latakia (70)
Strong Medium Full Tolerable

Supposedly a classic so bought a tin. Was't impressed. Too sweet and did not like the room note. From the reviews, I see that there are many fans of this blend. For me, it was an experience that I won't repeat. Did not even finish the tin. I am sure that those that like Virginans like this...I very much liked McClelland's Christmas Blend 2007 but felt this was not at that level. Don't know really what it was but did not do it for me.

caddad Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
caddad (53)

I bought this on a whim, after stopping in my local tobacco shop to pick up a tin of English something or other, thinking a might be flirting with a high quality aromatic for a change of pace. I was quiet surprised to find on opening the tin what appeared to be a very dark, very well aged Virginia blend. I noticed no flavoring at all while huffing the contents of the tin and actually just smelled high quality nutty Virginia (very similar to mecllend 2015) Not what I was in the mood for but what the heck. I packed it lightly in my Jobey billiard, fully aware that I could scorch my mouth if not careful! The flavor was very full and nutty at first light and I did have to be careful not to puff too hard. Lots of puffy white smoke and very good tobacco flavor indeed. The room note was ok and now that I have smoked this in several pipes and find it very good as a full flavored Virginia blend however I will probably not purchase this again as I will probably lean towards 956 or Durbar when I reach for another Dunhill tin in the future.

Medium Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

It was with fear and trepidation that I approached this legendary (in the wrong way) tobacco, but also with the hope that it might be a pleasant surprise. The tin appearance was of an extremely fine cut (more than Dunhill's usual), not too wet, brown tobacco, and the smell was discreetely sweet: yes, as some say, it reminds of chocolate (and, after a couple of weeks' drying, of cappuccino). No hints of the foul stench some others say, more an impression of a particular treatment of the Virginias rather than of a pervasive casing. I packed a large straight Savinelli with it, and fired: I must say that the first puffs were rather disgusting! Harsh, hot smoke without much taste, which reminded me in its citrus overtones of the horrors of Erinmore Mixture. Luckily, I persisted (what a brave boy I am!): luckily, because when I set myself completely relaxed on the sofa adopting a slow smoking style, I began to appreciate its nuances. The smoke is extremely mild, but not in the sense of a "light" smoke: it is mild because it doesn't overpower you scorching your tongue, shocking the palate or tingling your nose. It is robust, but well rounded, a monster with velvet gloves. Each puff revealed an increasing sweetness, but not the kind of grassy lively sweetness that I have come to expect from natural Virginias like Marlin Flake: rather a deceptive sweetness that dances between citrus overtones, bitter chocolate echoes, a slightly piquant hint, and... something I find myself without words to describe. At times it can get a bit nauseatingly sweet, but if you puff it slowly it shouldn't be a problem. Relighting at the end of the bowl provided a spicey, harsher smoke. All say it packs a nicotine wollop: it does, but remains tolerable. To me, Nightcap is stronger nicotine-wise. I have a past as cigarette smoker, so I even inhaled some puffs of Royal Yacht: well, after the end of the bowl my stomach (I hadn't eaten in the past 5 hours) felt a little weird as a consequence of the nicotine boost, but nothing that would compromise my equilibrium. I was feeling its effects, but I didn't feel sick. If you are more sensitive, anyway, you should approach Royal Yacht with some caution. Now that I am going on in smoking the rest of the tin, I can say that Royal Yacht is certainly a weird tobacco that can shock some palates and not agree with everybody: I would definitely not recommend it for casual smoking (in the morning I can almost feel no taste in it), nor to traditionalists. Myself, I consider it a stronger and tastier variation on Dunhill's own Ready Rubbed (the green rectangular tin), which I hate because it tastes of nothing. I won't keep it on my rotation (this tin will last me for long!), but not because this is bad, only because there are several Virginias that are just as sweet, without its sharp overtones, and better suited to my taste (I tend to prefer natural Virginias, without flavoring or artificial processing), or maybe just plain better in an absolute way. But I don't rule out the possibility of buying another tin somewhere in the future. No, it is not the chemical disgusting stuff someone says: for me it's just boring and too artificial. And, go figure, my wife (who doesn't like neither English blends, neither aromatics, neither natural Virginia flakes) says this is one of the most pleasant tobaccos I have ever smoked in her presence: very light smelling, and nice room aroma!

UPDATE September 2005: I have just started smoking another tin, which has been left in my cellar for three long years to age. Well, RY still is not my favorite tobacco at all: the taste is possibly even milder, and to me totally boring. Sure, some sweet and herbal notes here and there, but nothing to write home about. Some of the harshness at the end of the bowl has gone away, though. Nicotine strength is still very high: smoking this in a bowl bigger than group 3 still makes me feel queasy. Not worth the fuss, IMHO... but, again, never as disgusting as some are saying. There's nothing offensive in this blend, it simply leaves me flat.

UPDATE 2018: I finally tried the newest version of this blend, and it has changed a LOT. It has become a rather ordinary red Virginia mixture, without that weird topping/top note. The strength has fallen down immensely, too. In other words, it's a COMPLETELY different blend: it has nothing to do with the Royal Yacht of old. Guess what? While somewhat undistinguished, I like it better because it's more tolerable and easier. Nothing outstanding, but very decent. A fruity, smooth Virginia smoke.

Lochinvar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Lochinvar (78)
Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This is an odd little tobacco. From all I had heard about it,I was sure this would be a waste of time. This fear was not completely born out. As far as things go it was a sweet blend with some pleasent moments. If you just need something to smoke this is better than loading your pipe with Capt. Black. However it did not impress me either. At times I thought "I know there is tobacco lit in the bowl, and I know I'm puffing, but there's nothing on the palate". For part of the bowl it seems to me like I'm smoking steam and sometimes a mild Virginias-ish tobacco. Better than some not as good as others.

Lbarraa Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Lbarraa (29)
Very Strong Mild to Medium Very Full Tolerable to Strong

Too much nicotine... this is not my kind of tobacco, the taste is full, but the nicotine makes me feel dizzy. Sorry.