Black Cavendish and Rich Virginias with the sweetness of Black Cherry.

Notes: Today's pipe smoker is like a paladin of olde. Who better to fight for a noble cause? Enjoy all that is good by smoking this exceptional mixture of Black Cavendish, Rich Virginia and Sweet Black Cherry.

Blended ByCarl McCallister
ContentsBlack Cavendish, Virginia
Packaging1.5 oz tin

Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium Very Pleasant

A mild black cherry blend, milder than I expected after smelling a freshly opened tin, which, if you are a cherry fan, will prove pleasing to your senses. Even though it's mildly moist fresh out of the tin, it burns very well, smoothly, and not hot. The Virginia mostly acts as a cooling base for the black cavendish, the latter adding a little vanilla note and plum hit. The use of the black cherry gives this mixture a deeper flavor push than your average cherry blend.

Mild Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

This is a pleasant aromatic that does not overwhealm. The black cherry is nicely done, and while there is not a lot of tobacco flavor, it is mild and burns cool. There was a slight chemical aroma initially when lit, but that went away quickly. The flavor was good and the room note was pleasing. It became a little more mellow as the bowl progressed, but was a fairly consistent black cavendish w/ black cherry topping for me.

For my own taste buds, this is a a 2+. Judged strictly as an aromatic, it is a solid 3. If you are a fan of this genre, give it a try.

CoreyR Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CoreyR (21)
Overwhelming Extra Strong Overwhelming Very Pleasant

I was really looking forward to sampling St George's Blend. Especially after all the positive reviews I have read about it. However, I can only give it two stars. I tried it first in a new cob and, I confess, I packed and lit it right out of the tin. Perhaps a mistake. I immediately got a heavy, mouth numbing, chemical taste. After a bit, I did finally taste some cherry flavor but it never overrode the chemical flavor. By the time I finished the bowel I had a strong feeling of "goop" in my mouth. Nothing tasted right for the next day. I have tried drying the tobacco and this has helped a little but I still get the chemical/P&G goop sensation-taste. It is a shame, I was really looking forward to a good cherry blend even though I am not normally an aro guy. I do give it two stars because there IS some cherry flavor and it has a pleasant room note. Also, this is MY reaction, you may have a different one altogether.

ruffinogold Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ruffinogold (92)
Mild Medium Medium Very Pleasant

My wife and I have smoked most all the Sutliff Private Stock blends and I like this best of all the Aromatics ! The black Cherry Flavoring is just right . It burns cool and slow and you can taste the Black Cherry and something else . The room note is super pleasant . It wont bite .It's a lovely blend

The Right Reverend Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The Right Reverend (36)
Very Mild Medium Mild Very Pleasant

This a great aromatic with medium black cherry flavoring and I can smell chocolate in the mix as the opened canister mellowed. While I like hand mixed stuff from my local Tobacconist this would be my go to commercial tobacco. I find it lights, stays lit, and tastes better than other commercial cherry's like Captain Black (and black cherry as opposed to cherry is itself hard to find). It's room note is fantastic and my wife absolutely loves it.

Wīglāf Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Wīglāf (11)
Extremely Mild Strong Extremely Mild (Flat) Tolerable

There are a ton of cherry blends out there, and most of them inhabit the same low shelf reserved for B grade blends that your friend who only smoked once raves about. I wish I could say that this blend, named after the badass, dragon-slaying patron saint of England, was as memorable and virtuous as its namesake. Unfortunately, Sutliff St. George's Blend neither inspired king Henry to charge once more into the breach, nor me to hazard a second bowl.

Pipe Used: Dr. Grabow Savoy

Purchased From:

Similar Blends: Every cherry blend ever..

OSR Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
OSR (78)
Mild Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

On a bet, I tried a bowl of St. George's Blend. Why 'on a bet'? Because I believe that Cherry Blends have turned many potential pipe smokers away from the pipe because many Cherry Blends smoke hot, foul and goopy.

This is the only Cherry Blend I've smoked that tasted like Cherry and didn't bite at all. Most importantly, there's a little oomph in the virginia tobaccos that give it some depth of flavor.

Would I smoke this again? Absolutely. Not bad at all in a yard pipe.

Pipe Used: Yard Pipe

Age When Smoked: Unknown

Purchased From: Unknown

zwolanek Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
zwolanek (18)
Very Mild Medium Very Mild Very Pleasant

I just finished a tin of St. George's blend and I like it. If even 25% of aromatics were even close to this, I would become an aromatic man. (Well, maybe I am already an aromatic man, especially coming in after working a day in the woods. That may explain my single status, too.)

The base is about 50-50 Cavendish and Virginia, so no tongue bite. Even more, it doesn't get hot. Some propylene glycol here, but I only had to leave this out one day in a sunny window. Compare that to three days to a week for most aromatics. It burns pretty well and leaves about 15% dottle.

I can't say too much about the scent because I just don't smell it on my own. But the flavor is just fine.

So in the Sutliffe line, this would be a good aromatic choice. I prefer the flavor of French Quarter and fell in love with Blue Danube, but both can bite a bit where St. George's does not. None of the three are cake masters, either.