Hazelnut top note added to this fine combination of Burleys and black cavendish. This mixture, with its nutty aroma is sure to please the smoker and friends. Medium Aromatic.

BrandBufflehead
Blended ByDavid Windsor
ContentsBurley, Black Cavendish
FlavoringNuts / Beans
Strength
Taste
2.3
Very Mild Mild to Medium Very Mild Very Pleasant

I liked a lot of David Windsor's fowl blends... that didn't sound too nice but you know what I mean. This Bufflehead golden oldie was not one of them. I should have known better as I tried Hazlenut coffee once and once was too much.

It does burn quite dry for an aromatic. My tin was 7 years old and of course, Bufflehead is now out of business so there will be no more offerings from Bufflehead. I cried when I heard Bufflehead was going out of business. I cried after smoking Harlequin Duck, too. But for a different reason.

Tiger Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tiger (53)

Bufflehead's Harlequin Duck is, as Dave Windsor there says with his trademark accuracy, a very nice "medium aromatic". Sounds boring but it isn't. Most pipers know finding an aromatic that actually tastes good, actually has good smoking properties and actually behaves well in the bowl is like finding a restuarant that advertises discounts for pipe smokers. Harlequin Duck is such a blend. Though not at all a fan of aromatics, my experience with Bufflehead's superb "Ruddy Duck" prompted me to try another Bufflehead aromatic and, since I like Hazelnuts, Harlequin Duck seemed the obvious choice. As with each of the 10 or 12 Bufflehead blends I've tried - Harlequin Duck demonstrates at first light it consists of better-than-average leaf, the Hazelnut topping notwithstanding. In three different medium-ish sized pipes (2 meerschaums) Harlequin's hazelnut topping is more present at first and then wanes quickly when about 2/3 of the bowl has been smoked and is replaced largely by the nice, but plainer, earthy, taste of Burley. Most importantly (to me) Harlequin is well-behaved, lacks about 99.9% of the legendary aromatic "sting", produces good smoke volume, and smokes surprisingly dry. Relighting is almost not a factor with Harlequin. Just as a matter of my subjective personal taste Ruddy Duck is the only aromatic I keep on hand. But there are surely legions of pipers out there who could easily develop a real soft spot for Bufflehead's Harlequin Duck. It is definitely a worthy example of how aromatics should be. If you like aromatics or are thinking maybe it would be politik to have a decent one around "for when company comes", Harelquin Duck is a short-odds candidate for the job.

Tiger

SFC/E7 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SFC/E7 (93)

The very pleasant aroma when opening the bag of Harlequin Duck was very appealing to me as I enjoy a good aromatic tobacco blend. Although, I have never been a pipe smoker who enjoys a Burley, this one was worth trying.

I found this to be a little moist, but not to the point of not being able to smoke. At the first match the aroma reminds me of a slightly sweetened nutty aroma as this is topped with a Hazelnut which enticed me into buying 4 ounces to try. I love the taste of Hazelnut Coffee and I enjoy eating Hazelnuts, even though, all three have their differences in taste they all three are very pleasant to me.

About mid way through the bowl of tobacco the flavor and taste become more satisfying, yet palatable. Finishing the bowl I was very satisfied with a robust flavor, but not an over whelming aromatic.

I did not find any tongue or harshness just a very enjoyable smoke.