Complex, aromatic, and sweet blend of Virginia and Black Cavendish.

Notes: In terms of quality and variety, the Moulin Rouge has been at the forefront of French entertainment since its inception some 120 years ago. The signature CanCan still endures as a huge crowd pleaser. Just as the Moulin Rouge was a trendsetter, this fine blend of Virginia and Black Cavendish offers a new direction with its complexity, aroma and sweetness.

Due to legal reasons, Moulin Rouge is now known as Cabaret Rouge.

Blended ByCarl McCallister
ContentsBlack Cavendish, Virginia
FlavoringCherry, Fruit / Citrus
Packaging1.5 oz tin

Visit company website

Strength
Taste
Very Pleasant, Pleasant

This is a pleasant aromatic. It tastes like it is mostly black cavendish, and the topping is a slightly tart (maybe cherry/citrus?) with a heavy sweet. There is enough Virginia to identify in the flavor profile, but not much more.

I found this an easy smoke out of the tin. I did not dry it or prepare it in any way. The best smoke I got with it was in a Legend cob, and this combo might make a good starter gift for someone considering pipe smoking. It has a good room note.

Mild to Medium Medium Medium Very Pleasant

Molto Dulce's cousin. Sweet citrus, cherry, fig and date notes with a molasses flavor. The black cavendish adds a very mild hint of vanilla while the Virginia acts as a cooling base for the cavendish. Needs some drying time, but leave some moisture or you'll lose some of the taste. Burns a little slow and is best sipped for full enjoyment. A pleasant dessert smoke with a pleasing room note, it's also a good outdoor work smoke.

Jacinto Cupboard Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jacinto Cupboard (54)
Mild to Medium Extra Strong Full Overwhelming

I wanted to like this, a stable mate of Molto Dolce, which is currently my go to aromatic. But it is just too over the top. Visually it is a mix of short cut black and golden brown tobacco. It has an oily feel. Best I can make of the tin note is vanilla, caramel, plum and cherry, but there is clearly more happening here flavourwise, much beyond my ability to define.

It burns rather hot and fast even for a slow smoker such as myself. It smells like a turbo charged cherry cavendish has crashed into a fruit salad. It left a nasty taste in my mouth for many hours afterwards. At times its cloying fruitiness left me feeling a bit sick.

I don't think this is a bad tobacco as such, but it is so far from what I want in a pipe I have trouble recommending it without a stack of provisos. You'd really want to be into full on aroma explosions to like this.

Shayde Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Shayde (4)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

Delicious brother to the wonderful Molto Dolce. This will be my back up when/if ever I want a break from Molto Dolce (another Sutliff blend).

It's got a nice fruity flavor and room note, pretty sure I detect subtle hints of pineapple, piña colada, and green apple. Maybe like a juicy fruit type flavor as well. It's a pleasurable smoke, little moist like all of Sutliff's aro's drying it out makes it lose flavor so it's an undesirable thing to do.

Room note is nice, tin note is nice, and flavor is nice.

Again I am pleasantly surprised by how well the tin note transfers over to the taste of the smoke.

I'd recommend this to anyone that likes aro's.

rekamepip Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
rekamepip (66)

Sutliff Private Stock CABARET ROUGE

Complex Aromatic Sweet Blend of Virginian and Black Cavendish

Tin Notes: The Tobacco appears in good cut and color Slightly Moist and Sticky Nice Fruity Aroma

The Burn: This tobacco as with some of the other Sutliff offerings is best enjoyed straight out of a freshly opened tin. Even though the tobacco may appear to be on the moist side and overly topped and or cased with flavor additives - that is what makes it good ! While i am not a big fan of aromatic blends i can say that this tobacco blend does offer an enjoyable smoke. A small chamber sized pipe such as a clay or cob ~ smoked as slowly as possible ~ worked best for me. If you air dry the tobacco before smoking then it may burn better but you loose the top notes and the top notes are what this blend is about.

Room Note is Wonderful

My 5 Star Rating = 2 (but i would recommend this to someone who enjoys an aromatic black cavendish blend)

Pipe Used: Clay, Corn and Briar

Purchased From: sutliff

thetreyloo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
thetreyloo (1)
Mild Medium Medium Very Pleasant

I've now smoked two bowls of this tobacco and have enjoyed both very much. The aroma out of the tin is an extremely pleasant, sweet, figgy, fruity scent, and the smoke aroma follows. The strength of the tobacco is very mild and makes for a great morning smoke in this warmer weather. The flavor is fairly strong for such a mild tobacco, but it's not overwhelming. I've been smoking mostly Latakia-based tabacs lately, and this is a welcomed break. I would definitely recommend, though it's not one of the finest aromatics I've ever smoked.

JakeMan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JakeMan (7)
Medium Medium Medium Very Pleasant

This is a sweet and cool blend with virtually no bite. This medium body tobacco produces a white plume of smoke during lighting and stays lit until the bowl is finished. The top half of the bowl has a medium strength and sweet taste of fig that last. For me the taste dissapears during the bottom 1/3rd of the bowl signaling that the tobacco is spent. The tin note is grand and the room note is to die for. I get a kick at watching the cats sniff the room when I light up.

I will keep this as a favorite nightcap smoke.

X-Mil Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
X-Mil (4)
Very Mild Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Was a sweet fruity flavored tobacco, dark and light mix. It had just a hint of citrus, sort of reminded me of a good fruitcake. I like fruitcake... Upon lighting, I gave it no drying time, it took to lighting well, though it felt a tiny bit oily. I had a few pops and sizzles.

I found the smoke to be enticing. I caught hints of fruit, molasses, clove, a good subtle musk perfume, and a nice sweetness. I felt no tongue burn, but did sense a tingle like smoking clove cigarettes. The after taste was nice, it coated my mouth and lasted a good half hour... I love sweet tobaccos, and this was a solid hit to deep right field. Great for a beginner.

TobaccoMan2012 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TobaccoMan2012 (28)

Just tried it, and I already like it. Very sweet for sure. Good for someone new to smoking a pipe, smells great as well.