Aromatic blend of Burley, Virginia, and Black Cavendish

Notes: This extraordinary blend of Burley, Virginia and world famous Green River is the epitome of culture as exemplified by Charlemagne himself.

Blended ByCarl McCallister
Packaging1.5 oz tin

Visit company website

Strength
Taste
2.7
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

A mild, friendly aromatic burley based blend with Virginia and black cavendish, and a mild fruit/rum-like topping. The Virginia has a light hay taste and is a condimental addition. I didn't get much nuttiness from the burley, which is more sweet than earthy. The black cavendish almost crowds it out, though the vanilla taste is mild, as are the plum notes. The topping is mild, but it tones down the natural taste of the burley. This is the kind of smooth smoking aromatic that's made for relaxation and book reading.

rekamepip Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
rekamepip (66)
Mild Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Pleasant

Sutliff Private Stock Charlemagne

Burley, Virginian, Black Cavendish

Tin Notes: The Tobacco is a fine cut leaf selection, Sticky and overly moist. Smells Good for an Aromatic

Smoking: If you like an aromatic tobacco that is comprised of the above tobaccos and if you like a vanilla or fruit topping with maybe a little rum added to the mix.......

The toppings do taste good and the room note is sure to please the innocent bystander.

I thought the tobacco burned a little on the hot side and if you lamp dry it or air it out prior to smoking then you loose out on the top note flavors. The tobacco itself is that which seems to be a common selection of Sutliff = an air cured blend with a hayish bland tasting leaf.

My 5 star rating = 2 and 3 or more if you like this type of aromatic tobacco

Pipe Used: pipestone, corn and briar

Corncob3 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Corncob3 (24)

A good blend but a tad too sweet for my taste. Mellow,rich and lots of clouds of white smoke. If you love sweet black cavendish you'll enjoy Charlemagne. The room note did not last very long and its somewhat hard to decipher. The Green River does add a nice twist. This is a good blend to start with if you're new to pipe smoking. Recently I've been avoiding black cavendish like the plague. It's not bias, its just my tastes are changing, as I long for a good no thrills non-aromatic with a subtle but pleasing room note. Charlemagne seems better suited as an after dinner treat or substitute for breakfast.

Joeray Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Joeray (61)

My friend told me if this blend almost similar with the Molto Dolce, but more mild taste and flavor. I hadn't smoke the Molto Dolce yet so i cant say my friend is right or not but one thing that im sure to say is this blend is little bit dissappointed. Have a nice and good smell when i open the tin but the baccy is very wet, too moisture, so need more time to pack and get a proper moist level. The taste is mild and bored, just made me feels to finish the bowl fast. There is nothing special that made me joy accept the room notes is very pleasant and my wife and my son very love it.

pipe-junky Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pipe-junky (8)
Very Mild Mild to Medium Mild Pleasant

I stumbled onto to a Sutliff sale and obtained quite a few tins of Charlemange.I have puffed my way thru 2 tins and can say that in the 3 briars i used, it smoked fine depending on how i packed it. I did not find the nic level high and the flavoring was not strong except when opening the tin which gives off a nice sweet smell that does transfer to the light up and after that it smooths out. 3/4 way down there is still some taste and does not get ruff just flat. Room note is pleasant and doesn't offend.

crashedlux Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
crashedlux (1)
Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Full Very Pleasant

I recently began smoking a pipe and I picked 2 blends to try from Altadis' Sutliff Private Stocks (Charlemagne, Bosphorous Cruise...both were excellent values in my inexperienced opinion.) I was drawn to Charlemagne by the simple description in the tagline and I must say that whoever wrote that description deserves a raise!

The fragrance of Charlemagne reminds me of the tobacco my grandfather used to smoke. It really perfumes the room with a sweet smell that is incredibly pleasant, yet manly. The smoke is also sweet in the beginning, but it loses much of its taste about halfway through the bowl. The remainder of the smoke is not harsh tasting, however. I've found it to be a very pleasant smoke while reading.

The tobacco is not difficult for a beginner to light and it burns well. Be warned that the mixture does have a bit of a bite on the tongue, but it's not anything major.

I would be very interested to see other reviews of this mixture by more experienced pipe smokers as it is my favorite so far.

This one comes pretty moist and has to be dried. It is a little non-nondescript to me in the smoking. There is a mild burley flavor and some fruit. The black cavendish is too heavy for my tastes, and it contributes to a thin quality.

This one has fans, and I am just not one of them.

CTS Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CTS (109)

Well-blended tobacco base. Vanilla/Rum topping not too overpowering, as it is with some of the blends. Nuttiness in burley comes through well, particularly in the second half. Single light takes it all the way through the bowl, burns clean, cool, and smooth. 3 stars.

Pipe Used: Karl Erik

Age When Smoked: Undated tin; bought 2 months ago

Purchased From: CI

JakeJones Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JakeJones (4)

Being my third tobacco, as I am a new smoker, this was a real step up and I am glad I tried it. The girl at the tobacco store asked if I wanted to sample some and give feedback to see if they wanted to carry it. They should.

It has a very pleasant sweet smell with some vanilla in it. Not too dry not too moist, it lit very well and stayed lit very well. I went through 6 matches vs the 15-20 with the first 2 low quality tobaccos I tried. (Yes, I will be getting a proper lighter soon enough) :)

It is a mild tasting tobacco, slightly sweet in a good way, and a nice relaxing smoke on a Sunday afternoon. It strongly favors a slow smooth draw as it will bite otherwise, but it forces you to sit back, relax, and enjoy it. I am not yet seasoned enough to pick out the different tobaccos in it and their unique flavors but I am getting there.

I was told not to try cheap tobacco and it is good advice, it can ruin the experience, a good tobacco makes a world of difference, and as for mild tobaccos this is a good one.

I am still searching for a strong full bodied pipe tobacco, deep and smooth, but this one could be a regular for those lazy Sunday afternoons.

Up next is Mac Baren Dark Twist...

Dragonslayer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dragonslayer (4)

I finally broke open a tin from the P&C goodie bag this year, which included three tins of Sutliff lesser known blends. So first up was the Charlemagne and the tin note was light and the fresh hay aroma was quickly confirmed by the appearance. The Burley was prevalent and some strands of colorful Virginia were easily spotted, what was sparse was the lack of Cavendish. I took this as a good sign that this wouldn't be another blend over powered by an aromatic topping. The ribbon cut was moister than most, and actually took over an hour to dry enough for a proper bowl packing. Checking the aroma on the drying plate before filling the bowl was actually much richer, sweeter and more pleasant then when opened.

Char light was fairly uneventful given the Cavendish, I expected a powerful puff. A bit musty from the hay tones of the burley. True light brought on the full flavor and this is a burly straight off the bat. The Virginia is barely noticeable other than it's cooling, and hard to decide if the flavor past the hay and slight nuttiness is just the Cavendish. Passing the half-way point the flavor has remained constant and the sweetness of the Virginia and Cavendish holding on well, especially as it rolls through the nose.

Burning well and not too hot for a ribbon cut there was no bite. There were no relights and just a few tamps. Drying this down a while is defiantly a good ideal, and paid off with this blend. By the end of the bowl the Burley was all that remained. For a ribbon this was an unexpected long smoke which I would credit to the leaf quality, that quality the saving grace. The remainder stayed mild and a little nutty to the end. finishing up with a white and gray ash.

The tin should have read, Burley with a small amount of Virginia and a hint of Cavendish. This is really just an OTC sweet Burley with better quality tobacco.