Aromatic Golden Cavendish with Burley and rich Virginias.

Notes: The scenic Danube is both unique and vast. It is the only major European river which flows west to east, gushing some 1,770 miles through ten countries. Much like the Danube, this Aromatic Golden Cavendish of Burley and Rich Virginias has depth resulting in a distinctively, delicious character.

Blended ByCarl McCallister

Extremely Mild, Mild
Taste
2.9
Extremely Mild Extremely Mild Mild Very Pleasant

A terrific aro. Smells and tastes a little like sweet honey bread to the smoker, and those around him/her. M'lady wants me to smoke it all the time. Burns very evenly and well. I get a hint of molasses and brown sugar at times, and a hint of vanilla with a very light nut taste. It's sweet, but not cloyingly so, which means you can smoke it all day without getting tongue bite or diabetes. The Virginia component is not that prominent, but has a natural sweetness that adds extra flavor and evenness to how it burns when you smoke it. A delightful smoke for any time of day or night.

rekamepip Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
rekamepip (72)

BLUE DANUBE

Tin Note: Full Sweet Aroma

Tobacco: Great leaf color and nice texture a little moist when you first open the tin

The Burn: Straight out of the can the tobacco smoked good, plenty of smoke with nice delicate flavors. When Air dried a little the tobacco burned a little better, sweet flavors with a twinge if spice note towards the end of the bowl. Either way this tobacco has great flavors which led me to puff maybe to fast. Maybe because i was smoking quickly i noticed an ever so slight burnt sugar taste

Room Note: Very Nice

my 5 star rating = 4

Wishing for 8 oz sized tins or 1 pound bags I will be ordering more of this tobacco for sure !

Ambush1964 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ambush1964 (6)
Extremely Mild Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Too moist straight from the tin 32% moisture, I had to dry it for quite awhile to get it down to 15% [still a bit moist but I didn't want to wait any longer]-(I love my simple/ inexpensive moisture meter). Someday I may be an old hand and simply know by feel, for now I will cheat using the meter :). This stuff burned ok, I had to relight a few times after the 3/4 mark-guess I should have waited a bit more and dried it to 13% or so. It had a nice aroma, vanilla,berry. It had a vanilla/whiskey/fruit flavor. The berry/fruit flavor was minimal, the fruit aroma was more pronounced. It had a slight chemical flavor and aroma, not unlike the scented candle descriptions in other posts. I am a newbie smoker and prefer aromatics, so this was ok for me, but not exceptional. It burned to ash with very little dottle with a few relights at the bottom of the bowl. I am attributing this to a high moisture content. It didn't leave any sticky mess for me. I probably won't get this tobacco again, unless I find it at my local shop at 50% off again like this tin. It's worth smoking at 1/2 price :)

Pipe Used: Vintage Danya briar fit w/ churchwarden

Age When Smoked: 3 months in a mason jar

Purchased From: Tobacco Row, Billings MT

KCWGG Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
KCWGG (7)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

Upon opening this tin, one is immediately met with a soft, sweet, figgy aroma. This tobacco is soft, springy, and moist to the touch and appears to be a rough cut. Loads very well and lights with no fuss. It has a natural and light taste with a subtle favoring that honestly took me a moment to place. I believe it to be vanilla with a warm spicy undertone. Burns pretty fast and leaves little to no dottle, and without the slightest bite. The pleasant room note scents the room with a warm sweet smell. Surely to become a regular smoke.

I am writing this review after smoking almost all of a 1.5 oz tin. It came a little damp for me in the tin. I tried mixing it with some very dry blending toasted burley, and I tried giving it some air. Both these solutions worked well.

This is a pleasant aromatic with notes of vanilla and maybe rum. It is slightly sweet. There is a quality to the taste that is sometimes heavy and maybe a little yeasty. I think that is the "bread" that some reviewers mention. The ingredients list Virginia, but I am not finding any in the taste profile.

CriolloCorojo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CriolloCorojo (18)
Very Mild Medium Mild to Medium Tolerable

Way too Sutliffy. Pure rubbish. Weak, low-grade tobacco married with fake flavors that resemble the smells of scented candles. It leaves a very waxy flavor in the mouth and bites the tongue hard. It was originally purchased in a five pack with some other Sutliff tins from CI about 1.5 years ago. Like other Sutliff aromatics, this has virtually no nicotine, tastes nothing like tobacco and bites the tongue. Granted, I usually smoke a lot of English blends (such as 965, The consummate Gentleman, Squadron Leader, and many more), flakes (Mac Baren Navy Flake, Mac Baren HH Old Dark Fired, Dunhill Flake, Irish Flake and many) and more) and non-aromatics ( Dunhill Scottish Mixture); I do enjoy an aromatic from time to time. When I do, I guess I prefer real pipe tobacco like Peterson Hyde Park or Sweet Killarney and not this rancid, waxy garbage that Sutliff pushes as pipe tobacco. I was so disappointed to read that Sutliff is now the distributor of Mac Baren Products in the U.S. I hope to god that Sutliff doesn't do anything to ruin them and just leaves them as they are.

I don't remember the last time I got tongue bite from a tobacco, but this Blue Danube garbage didn't take long to bite the living heck out of my tongue. I could not even finish the bowl. The taste lingered in my mouth for hours, and no amount of fluids could get rid of it. I even brushed my teeth and tongue and still it lingered.

I am convinced that anyone who is giving high reviews to this blend or any Sutliff blend for that matter are 1) people who work for Sutliff and are trying to prop up their brand. 2) people who don't know any better because they graduated from gas station / drug store blends to Sutliff and do not realize there are virtually 100's if not 1000's of better brands out there. If all pipe tobacco tasted like this Sutliff stuff, then I would stick with my Tatuaje, Ashton VSG, AJ Fernandez, Don Pepin Garcia, Perdomo, Padron, and Camacho cigars. Tobacco should rarely be flavored with anything if it is high grade tobacco. If it is flavored, it needs to be a quality recipe (Gawith Hoggarth Rum Flake, yum!!!). With Sutliff, I find time and time again that I am smoking low grade tobacco coated with flavoring chemicals from a recipe taken from a scented candle factory. Also, what's with all the freakin' propylene glycol Sutliff?!?!?! For god's sake, if your tobacco didn't taste so awful, you would not need to add any because the tin would be smoked before the tobacco dried out. Also, you do not need to use PG as a bonding agent. That is hogwash if anyone ever tells you something different.

Pipe Used: Paul's Cayuga w/apple bowl-only used for aromatics

Age When Smoked: Been in tin for about 18 months before opening

Purchased From: CI

Similar Blends: Other Sutliff aromatics. They all taste about the same - like I am eating the hot wax from a scented candle..

Corncob3 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Corncob3 (24)
Mild Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Slightly sweet, slightly tangy with a subtle nutiness to round out the blend. Room note, can't quite put my finger on it but very very nice. This is a good day starter or after dinner smoke (but anytime you've got a craving for BD will do). Great with a cup of coffee or an ice cold root beer (can't figure out which adult beverage this pairs well with). Highly recommended. Excellent blend for the novice pipe smoker.

YoungGunPiperNY Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
YoungGunPiperNY (1)
Extremely Mild Extremely Mild Very Mild Pleasant

I am not really good on the terms with pipe smoking however this is one of my new go to tobacco's Extremely smooth mild no bite what so ever very nutty taste at first then back side of it maple taste witch is very nice . 1 out of 10 I would say 8.5

CTS Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CTS (110)
Very Mild Mild Very Mild Pleasant

A weak vanilla, and a touch of rum flavor is always present with this one. The very mild tobacco flavors peak through now and again, to deliver a nutty burley on the palate, and a pleasant spiciness on the retrohale. Low maintenance in the bowl, burns clean. 2- for an anemic, mild aromatic.

Pipe Used: Karl Erik Semi-Churchwarden, MM