Piper's Pleasure- Aroma - one of the most important aspects of any smoking tobacco. Perfect burning quality. Rich flavors of chocolate, vanilla, coffee, and a mild sweetness. A mild, slow burning, cool smoke.

BrandBoswell Pipes & Tobacco
Blended ByJ.M. Boswell
ContentsBurley, Cavendish
Strength
Taste

Mr. Motoyoshi Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mr. Motoyoshi (22)
Mild Mild to Medium Medium Very Pleasant

I was gifted some of this from a friend.

In my mind, there are two types of Aromatics. Those that are worth buying, and those that are not. This is one of the formers.

It's a little moist out of the pouch, some drying time could be beneficial. I laid mine out for a minimum of 20 minutes and got optimal results. It packs relatively easily and stays lit, for the most part (Maybe dry it for a little longer). Surprised to hear that this isn't "flavored" I'm guessing the sugars, or whatever was used, was enough to give the burley and cavendish a little push into the realm of taste.

You'll get little whiffs of cocoa, vanilla, possibly even honey. I found this blend a little similar to Cupcake (the blend not the food) actually. But with a stronger hint of cocoa/chocolate. I didn't get any tongue bite but I could see this biting if provoked.

The room note on this was wonderful. I smoked it at a bar, and while most Japanese usually hate my baccys (usually Latakia bombs) I received compliments from around the room. I wore the same jacket I was smoking in the next day and got a true scent of the piper's pleasure. It was of that quintessential pipe smoke and brought me back memories of that Grandfather I never had.

I would recommend this to any fans of aromatics and anyone who doesn't smoke them but wants to have a high quality aromatic (you know who you are).

Pipe Used: Cobs and Chacom Sport

Similar Blends: Boswell Pipes & Tobacco - Cupcake.

Piper’s Pleasure is one of the newer blends to Boswell’s lineup of well-made aromatics. Over time it has become one of my favorite Boswell blends. The pouch scent is mainly chocolate, but the coffee scent is definitely there in the background. In the pipe, I find the chocolate flavor dominates with the coffee in a supporting role. This tobacco is pretty heavily sauced, but it doesn’t goop up the pipe. If you like mocha like I do, this one is a keeper.

Purchased From: J.M. Boswell

Ethan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ethan (34)
Mild Medium Full Pleasant

4 STARS!! this is good stuff. The best Boswell blend i have tried so far (5 of them) and i will be ordering some more of this to cellar. A must try aromatic!

pennjersey83 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pennjersey83 (11)
Very Mild Mild Very Mild Very Pleasant

Tastes good. The vanilla comes through the most prominent. Not tasting as much cocoa or coffee like the description suggest. Very smooth, cool, and mild smoke. A little bit too mild. Great smell

jacques1960 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jacques1960 (27)

Wonderful blend with cocoa top note in bag, bowl, and room note. This is a great morning coffee, end of day smoke, designated, like "No Bite Delite", a regular upon first taste.

No bite at any point, although there was a brief gurgle mid-bowl; good, steady burn with no re-light required after charring / second lights.

Boswell provides excellent, friendly service, and fast shipping.

Highly recommend.

brogreggblues Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
brogreggblues (45)

It's definitely got chocolate in it. Not overwhelming. Stays lit. Mild, pleasant. Can't detect vanilla or coffee. There is a mild sweetness. Excellent burning quality. Great for beginners because it behaves so well. No bite. Chocolate flavor gone by end of bowl, leaving mild sweet cavendish. Copious clouds of smoke, zero bite. Room note is extremely mild, pleasant. No trace of chocolate in room note. Tail end of bowl, very slight "off" after taste.

CowBoy From Hell Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CowBoy From Hell (12)
Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant

I tried a sample and decided to add 4oz for 2.70=oz USD in my monthly boswell outvoice order ,but anyways what you wanna hear when liti taste smooth sweet carmel vanilla with a hint of what i taste pine, very smooth and eurphoric.

A must try for people with discriminating taste.

hiller Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
hiller (4)

I found this blend very enjoyable and relaxing to puff on. Creamy chocolate and coffee with a nice sweetness on my tongue. It's like drinking a nice cup of warm cappuccino .Another good one from Boswell and Son.

Jay02904 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jay02904 (6)

My first Boswell blend of several and I am impressed. I really enjoyed this smoke. Dan was also friendly and super fast shipping. Will be ordering from them again!

On an update...still a great smoke! Excellent room note! I know that I like a tobacco when I just want to smoke it and smell it all the time and this is one of them. I also had a chance to visit the store this summer and wow what good people the boswells are I wish I lived close by so I could hang out there all the time heck I'd even volunteer some time at the shop that's how much I like the place! Boswell has became my favorite line of tobaccos and they have some awesome pipes too. Keep up the good work j.m., Dan and family! See you all really soon.

wolfdreamer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
wolfdreamer (25)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild Pleasant

Reminds me of some bulk Black Cordial i have but with noticeable chocolate added in. No tongue bite, and very smooth, cant go wrong it seems with Boswell blends. Pleasant smoke but not something I would buy again or call a favorite.

longlost00 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
longlost00 (22)
Very Mild Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

This takes some drying time...significant drying time. That accomplished, this one will open up and offer some interesting flavors, notably chocolate and coffee. Not black morning coffee, but that fancified stuff you get at Starbucks.

The vanilla never comes through and acts as a backing. No bite, smooth, no noticeable nicotine.

Northern Pipes Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Northern Pipes (22)
Mild Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

This is tied for my favorite Boswell tobacco along with Boswell's Best. This smells incredible and the room note is ridiculously good. For me, I need to be separated from the tobacco that I'm smoking in order to appreciate the full scent and room note of the tobacco, or walk into a room of other people smoking it (it doesn't help that I'm the only pipe smoker I know). With this tobacco, it tastes like it smells and I can get the full impact of the room note as i'm smoking it. In my experience with Boswells, the smoke gets really good about 10 minutes after first lighting. It's like the tobacco settles as you smoke it, much like decanting a wine. The flavouring is not overpowering the natural tobacco taste and smell. It's a cool smoke that provides a warm feeling and reminds me of tobacco smells from when I was a kid in Northern Ontario.

Boswellpipeaddict Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Boswellpipeaddict (2)

Another fine blend by J.M and Dan Boswell. First thing I noticed when I lit the bowl was that this blend seemed a lot like the Boswells Chocolate cream. Actually, It has more of a chocolate flavor at first then the chocolate cream has! About one third of the way into the bowl, the flavors of coffee and a hint of vanilla showed up. Very nice flavors all the way down to the end, and I let this sit out on a paper towel to air dry for about an hour before Lighting it. I find that it's always a good idea to let any of the boswells blends have some dry time. I can say after a few bowls of this I will be ordering more form Boswells and will include this one in my rotation.

LightenUp-mypipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
LightenUp-mypipe (5)
Mild Medium Medium Pleasant

From the first draw this one jumped to the top of my list. I have to fight the urge to grab this every time I have a pipe in my hand. I first tried it when it was labeled "new blend" prior to being named Pipers Pleasure and having no idea what was in it. In the bag it's chocolate and a vanilla background with an earthiness to it. It has some characteristics shared with Boswells Best, No Bite, and Chocolate Cream. Every time I had coffee I smoked this new blend, and it finally hit me, it's mocha coffee. Wtih the vanilla giving it a creamy texture I think a better name would have been Mocha Latte. This new blend also had hint of unadulterated tobacco in the background and does smoke cooler than most of the others. Of course I can't be sure but it seems as Pipers Pleasure I can't detect that pure tobacco background and seems it has a bit more vanilla to it. But still number one. Now if it had a bit more pure tobacco with higher nicotine levels and a hint more coffee I would be hard pressed to not smoke anything else.

A few things I've noticed is that given time it does tend to lose a little flavor. Also the last third of the bowl tends to turn a little flat, dry and ashy. These things seem to be in common with several Boswell blends. Not nearly enough to stop me from smoking this favorite Boswell aromatic but enough to keep it at three stars.

IMHO there is a short list of “kings” when it comes to bulk American aromatics, Boswell's and Pipeworks and Wilke to name a couple of them. The newest offering from Boswells is a great example as to why they are known for some of America's finest aromatics. Piper's Pleasure is a “full on” sweet wonderful blend of Vanilla and Chocolate. There is a coffee casing too, but I detect very little of it in the smoke. The ribbon appears to be made up of nearly equal amounts of Burley and Cavendish and does need some dry time prior to smoking. The flavors are intense and remain steady throughout the bowl. Unlike some aromatics, PP doesn't become bitter as the bowl nears its end and there is no chemical taste. Feel free to puff away on this blend because there is no bite to be found here!

When I do choose an aromatic, I tend to like aro's that are a little less sweet than this one. However when I want a full throttle aromatic, Piper's Pleasure has quickly become my favorite in the large stable of Boswell aromatic blends. Highly Recommended.