A classic blend of Ogden Tobaccos.
Distictive, fine leaf with Virginia & Burley
sweetened by a secret process.

Notes: A 50/50 blend of St. Bruno and Gold Block.

BrandOgden
Pleasant, Pleasant to Tolerable

DrDyson Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DrDyson (117)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

When I tried Ogden's Mixture first, I didn't care for it much; I thought it spoiled the positive qualities of each of the component tobaccos. But, having bought four ounces (two each of Gold Block and St Bruno), I thought I might as well finish it. I left it in the jar for a few days, and then tried again. Gosh! What a difference! I still can't quite believe it. I now think - and I'm not given to exaggerating - that this is one of the finest smokes I've ever had. To me, it is absolutely outstanding in terms of flavour and duration, and I can't recommend it highly enough. Give it a try! An added bonus is that you can buy Gold Block and St Bruno in most B&Ms, so there need never be an availability problem (until they ban tobacco in the UK, at which point I shall shoot myself anyway).

I used St Bruno Ready Rubbed in the mixture; with slightly more trouble you could use St Bruno Flake, but I don't imagine it would make much, or any, difference. Two important tips: (1) don't smoke Ogden's Mixture immediately after mixing it; it's pretty poor then. Leave it in a jar for a few days to let the flavours get to know each other. If you're anything like me, you really will be amazed at the difference this makes. (2) smoke it very slowly; don't puff, or it'll burn you.

Alleluia: this really is an Arcadia mixture! You'll have to go a long way to find a better smoke than this.

Pipesmoking101 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipesmoking101 (38)

On the basis of recommendations received elsewhere, I decided to mix myself 100 grams of this, using Gold Block & St. Bruno RR (although I have been informed that the flake can also be used if rubbed out well enough, but it seemed to make more sense to use the RR from the get-go & save myself the rubbing-out process. Once completed, I left this sitting in a sealed jar for 6 weeks-2 months as it needs time to meld, as is fairly unpleasant when first mixed, I am told. I had ordered a new pipe made specially for a pipe club of which I am a member, and I chose to break it in with this mixture. I have smoked St. Bruno flake before, and I liked it. I have never smoked Gold Block at all, or the St. Bruno RR on its own.

The appearance of this mixture is quite strange, upon first being mixed, it seemed to look fairly evenly divided, but when I took the jar out, it seemed to look like about 90% Gold Block, with just little flecks of St Bruno! Some of the 'ready rubbed' was still little bits of broken flake, but had been rubbed through before adding, and in the mix, there seem to be very few bits of broken flake, the dark rubbed-out baccy seems to have been largely consumed by Gold Block!

The note from the jar is exactly the opposite! It's boozy, fruity St Bruno all the way. Rich, deep berry tones & the pure baccy scent lingering on the nose. It smells divine.

It packs easily and takes the light well. It burns easily throughout, and all the way to the bottom. Be aware that it can smoke a little on the hot side & needs to be handled with some care to avoid tongue-bite. Smoked sensibly, though, it maintains itself fairly well.

The taste is predominantly St. Bruno, but it is somewhat muted and has a little spiciness to it. It's fruity and winey, but a bit lighter than the St Bruno flake, and has a bit more of a 'bouncy' taste, it doesn't last as long and is more pleasant, I would say that the St B. flake in the summer, when a lighter smoke is desired. The tobacco is a nice light tobacco taste which develops more (or the topping fades) the further down the bowl one goes. I am not overlooking the possibility that my bowl may have had a higher percentage of Gold Block towards the bottom of the bowl, but even if I had, I think they have absorbed some of the topping as well. I think the topping just burns off when the end of the bowl is reached.

The room note is fairly nice, it has a St Bruno quality, but again, is somewhat lighter.

The nicotine is much the same, lighter than the St Bruno flake on its own, and I haven't smoked Gold Block on its own, but I can only assume it has less nicotine than St Bruno.

In conclusion, a perfectly pleasant smoke, much like a toned-down St Bruno with some differences in the flavour profile, which must have been caused by the Gold Block. It's not bad, but neither is it particularly outstanding. It can burn hot, so does need to be handled with care, if you like your tongue the way it is. I'll give it a 3 stars, as I'll probably make some more, and plan to finish what I have got, using it all on my new pipe, which by the end of the 100 grams should have a fairly good cake on it.

Pipe Used: Blakemar Briars UKPTC 2015 Lovat

Purchased From: Smokemart Brighton

Similar Blends: Ogden - St Bruno.