Perfect after dinner smoke. A taste of Rome! Smooth and aromatic.

Blended ByCarl McCallister

Very Mild, Mild, Mild to Medium, Medium
Taste
Very Pleasant, Pleasant
Mild Mild to Medium Mild Very Pleasant

A mild aromatic with a pleasant amaretto topping and light vanilla subtext provided by the black cavendish. The Virginia is underplayed, adding a light grass note or two. The burley chips in with a little nutty flavor. Thinly cut so it burns well, but don't puff it like a freight train. It leaves a very nice aftertaste, and while it is designed to be an after dinner smoke, it's also good as your all day companion while you go about your business.

ZoNoMo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ZoNoMo (3)
Very Mild Very Mild Very Mild Pleasant

I am really looking forward to writing this review, having never heard of this tobacco prior to today. The only thing I know about Sutliff’s Roma Vita is that it’s an aromatic tobacco. So being an aro pipe smoker, this feels a little like what I remember Christmas Eve to be like as an 8 year old. Though not having the details, I knew I was in for a special treat – that’s exactly how I feel right now. Truth be told, I’ve turned into a giant Sutliff fan since my first bowl of Molto Dolce and Moulin Rogue – now named Cabaret Rogue. I have found their tobacco to be of the finest and consistent quality. The only question I have is will I be getting something useful – like socks – or will I be getting the toy of my dreams? Here goes……

Like all Sutliff Private Stock tobacco tins, Roma Vita comes in a cardboard “tin” with a plastic gold top. And like all the rest, they are tastefully decorated and become more interesting the more you stare at them. Now that I’ve popped the tin, I realize I’ve been rewarded with yet another amazing and unique scent. It almost smells like chocolate mixed with booze, maybe burbon. It seems to also have fruity notes as well. Believe it or not, I can almost sense a "cut grass" scent too. It really smells amazing in the tin. Probably not as captivating as Molto Dolce but incredible in its own right.

The tobacco feels slightly damp but soft and feathery. You cannot feel any casing whatsoever – what a pleasant surprise. It has a traditional neutral brown color with not too much yellow or dark tobacco mixes. I’ll be smoking this tobacco in a 1970’s Falcon Pipe with a new meerschaum bowl and I’ll be lighting with Diamond Greenlight matches.

The smoke has a very pleasant room note. It definitely does not overwhelm you with either good or bad scents. I’m getting a lot of nods from my family. However, the taste is quite a bit subtler than the scent; you almost have to work to taste it. The experience almost feels gentle or passive like the tobacco is trying not to be the main attraction. After one bowl, I don’t think I would smoke this tobacco daily, though I would reach for it often. It’s very enjoyable.

Sutliff has done it again. They have created yet another new experience for me. When I need to think, relax and enjoy but not be bowled over by my tobacco scent, I think I’ll reach for a tin of Roma Vita. Did I get socks or the cool new toy? I think I just got a very very good book.

Pipe Used: Falcon w Meerschaum Bowl

Purchased From: Online

rekamepip Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
rekamepip (72)
Mild Medium Medium Very Pleasant

Sutliff Private Stock ROMA VITA

Perfect after dinner smoke, a taste of Rome Smooth and Aromatic an Aromatic Mixture of Burley and Virginian ( with a touch of Black Cavendish ?)

Tin Notes: A sweet smelling, slightly sticky and moist tobacco that has good cut and color with a top note of Liqueur

The Burn: To get the full flavor profile just lightly pack this tobacco fresh out of the tin. I found that the best overall flavors pull thru when smoked out of a small chamber sized pipe such as a clay pipe or rock cob pipe. Just smoke it as slow as you can and even if you have to relight a couple times that is OK. When air dried before smoking you loose a little of the top notes but the tobacco do burn better from start to finish. This is a good aromatic type blend and i would recommend this to people who like this type of tobacco

Room Note is Wonderful !

My 5 Star Rating =2 (a higher rating for people who can appreciate an aromatic blend such as this)

Pipe Used: Pipestone, Clay, Briar

Purchased From: sutliff

zwolanek Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
zwolanek (18)

This is very nice. It uses a shag cut and required a lot of drying out, but after that, it burned well and was pretty tasty. About 15% dottle. I think the casing is port or burgundy wine. It is burley, so it can bite if you're not careful.