Skillfully blended Latakia with Virgina and Turkish. Pleasant
aroma and a flavor never tiring.

Notes: Previously released by Murray's and Sons, UK

Taste

3.2
musicman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
musicman (88)

Another great blend from Dunhill/Orlik.

Once again before I begin let me state I have no experience with earlier versions of this blend, be they Murray or any other. This review will be based on this tin of Orlik production London Mixture.

I really like this one. I think it fits very well into the Dunhill line, right between EMP and nightcap/965. This blend is a middling English-esque production. The Turkish is very nice in this one. Sometimes I feel that Turkish leaf gets buried in some lat heavy blends, but this one is balanced nicely. I would say that the quality of leaf is excellent, and the moisture level from the tin is perfect. The burn is great and this one just performs well.

This may not be the most complex and puzzling blend I have smoked but it definitely delivers quality and I can see some people choosing this is their all day go to blend.

Highly Recommended.

Wince Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Wince (10)
Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Medium to Full Tolerable

Dunhill London mixture. Like a walk around whitechapel or Holborn in the late Victorian period topped off by a visit to a back street pub for a pint and a serious conversation!

From opening the tin I knew I would like this. Like Squadron leader, you are greeted with a spicy oaky peaty smell tinged with freshly laid tar. The tobacco is in my opinion, finer cut than Squaddy leader but is perfect to smoke fresh from the tin.

Packing was simple and after a few lights the first impressions were able to be made. Disappointment! It didnt taste like Squadron Leader. A few bowls later, this tobacco worked upon me and the subtleties of the blend were apparent. Spicy, sweet and like seasoned oak and tanned leather with a pleasant bite free smoke burning all the way down to a greyish white ash with little dottle. It is a dry smoke, a little too dry as after a bowl or 3 my throat feels crackly due to the oriental/Latakia mix. It is a strong, less refined taste compared to SL but one that oozes quality and the need to grab a read of Sherlock Holmes or some H.G Wells. It is a firm fave of mine but one I smoke only on occasion to savour the taste.

Go get!

cargohold Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
cargohold (5)

When I first starting smoking pipes on a regular basis in 1974 this was one of the first tobaccos I tried and being young and impetuous I of course puffed way too hard and fried my tongue. However after years of practice and having smoked many Virginia Flakes which, of course require a lot of care in puffing I learned to smoke slowly and the Dunhill London Mixture has become my favorite Latakia mixture. After being pummelled by excessively latakia forward blends which smother the light Turkish and Virginias this blend is a wonderfuly balanced experience. It allows the lighter tobaccos to announce their presence with a nice complimentary taste of the smokier latakia. For me, it is the perfect Enlglish mixture.

Pipe Used: Sasieni, Dunhill, Comoy, BBB, Peterso

Age When Smoked: 1 year

Purchased From: cargohold of Poulsbo

Similar Blends: Dan Tobaccos London Blend, Gawith Squadron Leader, Dunhill Standard Mixture.

Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

In taking over the Dunhill brand from Murray's, Orlik has done a very good (sometimes better) job with some of the blends and they have punted badly on others, especially MM965. London Mixture is one of those blends that Orlik really has done a wonderful job with and IMHO it's even better than Murray's. I collect Dunhill tins and I have been smoking both for some time, but decided to do this review with a tin of Murray's from 2003 and a new tin from Orlik smoked side by side.. Keeping in mind that the age of the Murray's has the benefit of a few years, it is not an exact apple to apples review. Both the Murray's version and the Orlik version are very good. The ribbons in the Murray's are a bit wider. The tin scent has been altered by the age of the Murray's tin, but the tin smell is better in the Murray's. The scent of the Murray's is sweet and smoky, while the new Orlik, without the aged Virginia's is just plain smoky. The moisture level of each tin is such that it will not require dry time for most pipers. I like tobacco dry so ten minutes of dry time was enough for me. Keeping with the standard of Dunhill tobacco, each tin contains high quality leaf. After the charring light, I was surprised to find the Orlik tin to be nearly as sweet as the aged tin. I prefer to rub the ribbons down a little bit and I only find small differences in different bowl sizes. Both blends are balanced and the Orientals and Virginia's just sing. The Latakia makes itself known, but doesn't dominate. Like many Dunhill tobaccos, there is a visit from Lady N, but she doesn't move in. The bowls grew in strength as they progressed and the flavors become richer all the way to the end leaving a nice ash. If you are unhappy, as I am, with the new 965, LM is a great second choice. I am so pleased with the Orlik London Mixture that there will be no need to seek out the ever more expensive Murray's. Highly Recommended

ahmadyuzamir Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ahmadyuzamir (6)

I was given a tin of this tobacco from my normal supplier of tobacco for testing purposes. As expected with most Dunhills, upon opening the tin, the tobacco was firmly packed in very neat and nice packaging. There were no strands that were clinging to the underside of the lid nor were there any above the round paper the covers the inside of the tin. Perfect packaging.

The tin note was the typical English blend that I was so accustomed to. There's plenty of oriental leaf notes as well as a good amount of latakia. The myriad of different colored strands of tobacco packed together into this tin was quite beautiful to be gazed upon. On the subject of humidity level, as usual Dunhill has managed to get it spot on and there was no issues with packing and lighting the tobacco.

Taste wise, i found this to be a little heavier on the oriental side in comparison to the very meaty MyMixture 965. It is very enjoyable puff after puff. I will definitely include this as part of my rotation. No flaws to be found with this tobacco and for me it embodies the perfect English blend.

Pipe Used: Chacom Country

Purchased From: TJ Trading

Similar Blends: bill bailey's balkan blend.

Mike__P Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mike__P (87)

Nirvana. My favorite of the Dunhills and the benchmark for a medium Balkan -- a must try if you like this genre, and especially if you prefer Oriental-forward blends. Midway through the bowl the Turkish takes over and delivers a warm, smooth, round, incense-like smoke. The Virginia and Latakia are clearly in support roles, and the Latakia fades deeply into the background. So if you're looking for a traditional Balkan with an ample dose of Latakia and some punch, then try Pease's Westminster, which Greg blended as a homage to the original London Mixture recipe.

By comparison, LM is more creamy, seamless and less piquant than Westminster, more along the lines of Gawith's Skiff Mixture, a relatively easygoing smoke that is still medium-to-full in the taste spectrum. It packs and burns well. The Turkish can heat up your bowl a bit when it really gets going, so you'll want to slow things down to avoid ashiness and enjoy the ride longer. Pick up a tin!

RMBittner Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
RMBittner (66)

The following comments are based on a 20+-year-old tin, from Dunhill's "Murray's" years. I realize my assessment may not be all that helpful -- especially if you're comparing it to the current Orlik version. But, maybe, if you come across an aged tin (or are wondering how things are progressing in your own cellar). . .

At the first light, the Orientals make their presence known. I don't know if London Mixture, as a youngster, was so Oriental-forward or not. But it is now, with 20+ years on it. If it weren't for the background presence of latakia, those initial first puffs could make you think you're smoking Presbyterian.

After a quarter of a bowl, though, the sharpness of the Orientals -- and I love Orientals -- eases off, and then the smooth, rounded Virginias come in. For most of the bowl, it's a conversation between the Orientals and the Virginias, with the latakia only occasionally speaking up from the back row. The result is an ever-evolving smoke that is rich throughout, creamy in spots, and worthy of the smoker's attention.

I only wish I'd had the foresight to stockpile this back in the 1980s.

Bob

Noorrmm Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Noorrmm (193)

Appearance: A slighly broad ribbon cut, about equal parts medium and dark colors. Ribbons are quite uniform, typical Dunhill attention to detail.

Aroma: Lots of Virginia base, with Latakia, Turkish and a perhaps a bit of Perique in the background. The aroma leads you to believe that the Va is the star.

Packing: Packs easily in most pipes, group 3 and up.

Lighting: Typical lighting procedure, not too quick or too slow.

Initial flavor: The Va comes across first, with authority and some strength. The Turkish and Latakia add their flavors soon after, and the Perique stays discreetly in the background.

Mid-bowl: A classic English/Oriental blend. I would classify it as slightly milder than medium (4.5 on a scale of 10, not 5 or 5.5), but a gentle beguiling flavor. No gurgles noted. The Va, Turkish and Latakia continue to be the key players.

Finish: Well behaved right to the end

Summary: Not as complex as some of the newer blends, but not as challenging to get into the zone with. A real classic with unique charm, probably as old as some of the S. Gawith blends.

Smokedinacob Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Smokedinacob (8)
Medium None Detected Full Strong

London Mixture is a landmark blend, a daily smoke, and an archetype of the English mixture category for me. I can't help but classify all the other English blends I try in terms of London Mixture.

If I were to say that, to me, an English mixture consists of four basic flavor elements present in some particular character, strength, and proportion to one another (coffee stout, campfire, cinnamon/spice, and incense), then I would also say that London mixture has those four flavors in precisely equal proportion, and, just like the persons of the Trinity, each one is totally distinct, although they are inseparable in nature. In other words, the blend is a really great...mixture. It contains very bold and diverse flavors that mingle and contrast one another without any dulling or muddling of detail.

The "incense", mostly, is what I miss in every other English blend I try. I assume this flavor is due to the orientals, but who knows? I would also describe it as "nutty," "bitter" (think almonds), "tart," and "creamy."

The fine ribbon cut is the best. The best. Easy to pack, burn, and control moisture level and draw. I can't abide coarse or uneven ribbons, even in a blend that tastes good otherwise! (I'm looking in your direction, GLP.)

I have never tried anything but the current (Scandinavian) version. If the Murray's really was that much better, it's really a shame to have missed out.

Pipe Used: cob

Age When Smoked: less than a year

Purchased From: smoking pipes

The current London Mixture is hard to describe for me a little.

Präsentation - fine tin Flavor: Forest, smoked ham, spices, a very little bit of sugar.

First of all, yes i like it. But not so much as the Dunhill Standard or 965. Why ? Sometimes its just a tiny bit to sweet for me. Thats divers a bit from older versions - Murray to.

I dont know exactly why - is it a bit to much sweet tasting cypryan latakia ? maybe

or is it simply the virginia ? i tend to the latter.

however - the recent is much better as all the dummie copies.

I give Dunhill Standard and MM965 4 Stars so here i had only 3,8 stars

Similar Blends: nothing, all american and german copies failed.

Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

One of the things I like best about this blend is that while the latakia taste makes itself known, it doesn't overwhelm the other components. There's a slight tangy taste to it, and the Turkish is a minor woodsy ingredient. There's a nice additional spice hit from quality Orientals. The Virginias are earthy, lightly grassy, lightly sweet. Burns very well and at an even rate. I've smoked this off and on for over a decade now and have enjoyed all versions. Consistent and flavorful, I can go back to this several times a day, and always enjoy it.

Brakepipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Brakepipe (5)

The re-issue of this stuff is even better than I remember it in 2005 when I first blissfully burned through a couple of early-2000 vintage tins in October of that year in a Savinelli Signature gifted to me by a client and an Ascorti New Dear discounted by the Ardmore, PA, Tinder Box tobacconist who pitied my Katrina-exiled behind. This blend smokes magnificently right out of the tin – easy to light, cool and utterly biteless. Sweet Virginias exquisitely counterbalanced by the pleasantly acrid orientals. The latakia announces its wonderful smoky self on opening the tin, but when lit stays unobtrusively in the background as a condiment. This is not a “balkan”. For anyone desiring to know what an “English” blend should be, this is cricket. My ‘70s era Charatans take to this like a Jaguar to the open road – “for this I was meant.” I am going back to the tobacconist tomorrow to buy out his stock, but I hope age does not improve this blend. It is simply one of the best things to which I have ever put a match.

Just what the world needs - another review of an often reviewed now unavailable Dunhill blend! :)

I received this in a large trade some months ago and I was not all that excited to try it. My long-ago memory of it was that it was a decent, if uninspiring blend. This was the newer Orlik manufacture. Overcoming biases is not easy but I really enjoyed this tin. It has a nice, lightly smoky flavor, with the orientals taking center stage during the first 1/3 bowl. The lightly sweet virginias then add a different angle on sweet from the orientals... kind of a light fruit sweetness to the orientals nut sweetness. The latakia wisely stays to the rear until the final 1/3 bowl, where it takes on a more prominent role, although still decently muted and used as a spice. This blend was almost like three different ones throughout the smoke, and it was most enjoyable when I was in the right mood.

I rate this one just behind 965, and well ahead of Standard Medium, Nightcap and Early Morning. Skillful blending and a light but steady hand on the latakia make this a winner!

Papillon6 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Papillon6 (17)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Tolerable

This is a smooth tasting, light flavoured blend. If you like Virginia tobaccos this is a blend to consider. It's latakia content gives a light hint of Oriental flavour that you don't of course get with pure Virginia. It's Turkish component only builds in flavour towards the end of the bowl, it's only slight at the beginning. This tobacco tastes better with a good moisture content so add a little when you get it. It's room note isn't bad but it wont get cheers either. The scent of the blend out of the tin is quite nice but does not carry to the room note or reflect on the flavour much. It is an even tasting blend that does away with creaminess and replaces with stark clean lightness. Not a heavy English blend at all so a good place to start. Give it a try about mid day, it is easy going down so you can go right through a tin of it with out realizing it.

Eulenburg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Eulenburg (193)
Medium None Detected Full Pleasant

From Buenos Aires to Sankt-Petersburg, from Kioto to Vienna, and in the moon, too, this is the OFFICIAL English mixture. As standard and unimpeachable a smoking choice for gentlemen of any school or regiment as ever came from a blender's bowl.

I love the manly strength of this Latakia blend, the utter pedigree of its finish, the sound balance of its æsthetic makeup (the Orientals, like well-ordered sepoy troops, adding colour without crowding out the real stars of the affair) as well as the fact that it has been smoked, for untold decades, by the best. Is the word breeding still in the dictionary?

This is not the blend for bumpkins.

The Pale Horsreman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The Pale Horsreman (3)

Dunhill London Mixture - for me , a 'benchmark blend' as far as English Mixtures go. Others have come close - but LM is a tough act to follow. A beautiful blend , moisture is perfect straight from the tin. LM packs & lights easily , and is always well behaved. Mild VA's , pulled along by spicy Orientals , dancing and weaving as the bowl progresses. Of course , Latakia is present , but in a shy , supporting role - masterful blending. LM is never tiring - always willing , reliable , and eager to please.

Pipe Used: Falcons

Age When Smoked: New tin

Similar Blends: Squadron Leader.

twaksak Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
twaksak (33)

The nose in the tin was clearly English blend with a hint of fruity flavours coming through. Lighting was easy. Indeed more mellow that the other Dunhill's I'v tasted, but in NO means inferior. At the start of the bowl, a soft mellow English blend was evident. Further through the bowl, more Turkish tobacco was evident which complimented the smoke. A definite smooth silky / creamy taste; well balanced - neither the Latakia nor the Oriental overpowers anything. Definitely a winner if you like English Blends but not overpowered by Latakia. I think this will be an excellent cross-over as the Latakia / Oriental is not so strong as in "heavy" English and Balkan blends. I like the more robust Latakia / Oriental, but this has a special place for the milder relaxing sundowner.

Pipe Used: GBD pre Comoy amalgamation

Purchased From: 4Noggins

DEN-C1956 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DEN-C1956 (29)
Medium Medium to Strong Medium Very Pleasant

I was pleased to find 'London Mixture' in the tobacconist that i vist in our local town in Basildon Essex.i bought a 50g tin there and then and im quite pleased that i did,this is a nice tobacco to relax with but it did sting the tongue for the first 4 bowels.but once this settled down its a nice smoke,i like english tobaccos and this is a good one. nice tin aroma and once the old pipe gets going its just wonderful,im finding that Dunhill pipe tobaccos are quite nice and i will be buying LM again and again in the future..enjoy!! ps..another good thing with this tobacco is theres not very much wetness in the bowel,and i fined that a very good thing.

Pipe Used: adventure 370

Purchased From: thorougoods basildon essex.

Gus Evening Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Gus Evening (6)

This is a fantastic blend. Medium flavored English. Perfectly balanced blend. A little more flavor than EMP. I would recommend this as an all day English blend.

Similar Blends: Dunhill - Early Morning Pipe, Dunhill - My Mixture 965.

This is a very tasty medium Balkan blend with a narrow, medium length ribbon cut. There is enough latakia to make a subtle presence known, and it contributes to a soft "mouth feel." The orientals are sweet and slightly sour. The foundation is a solid smooth, sweet Virginia. It is all very nicely balanced and the latakia and orientals complement each other instead of competing or drowning out. I don't detect any topping at all.

For me this is a solid 3+. I have been smoking this off and on for a couple of weeks, and may come back to bump it up to a 4 when the 4 oz sample is gone.

If this type of blend is one you like, you will want to try this.

krg1000 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
krg1000 (139)

Another fine mixture from Dunhill. Picked this up on a whim and was not disappointed. A very nice blend that has some quality tobaccos in it. It lights and stays lit very easily. It burns down to a nice ash at the bottom of the bowl. The taste and room note are spot on for a blend such as this. Recommended definitely.

Very Strong None Detected Very Full Tolerable to Strong

This is a strong latakia mixture that is very traditional in that harsh, English sort of way. It is not smooth, it does not smell good (lit or in the tin), it is difficult to pack due to the long strings of the varying leaf, and lastly, the smoke delivers volumes of steam, which of course, can lead to tongue bite if you puff more than once a minute.

There are many fine English blends out there for you to spend your money on. In my humble opinion, this is not one of them. But, of course, taste is a subjective thing as some of the other reviews of this blend indicate quite clearly. Hope my review of this particular blend is helpful to you.

Der Pfeifenraucher Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Der Pfeifenraucher (24)
Medium None Detected Medium Strong

Just finished a tin of the London Mixture. This is a good solid smoke. great English style flavor with the latakia and Turkish blended with Virginia in a way that you can experience all of the tobaccos in their individual complexities as well as enjoy the mixture as a whole. This, I think, might be the standard for the English blends. Cut was good and easy to load. Moisture was good upon opening the tin but since I don't smoke that much it took 3 months to finish the tin and the last few bowls were fairly dry. Still an excellent smoke This tobacco has just the right amount of nicotine to make me purr but not feeling sick or lightheaded. London Mixture gets 3.5 stars in my book. The other 1/2 star is room note. Room smell is terrible. I have only smoked a couple of English blends but have come to accept that as a characteristic of the blend type. The other qualities of the tobacco will keep me on board but the room odor Is definitely a negative.

Pipe Used: Grabow Grand Duke

Age When Smoked: 0-3 months

Purchased From: PandC

Kentishman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kentishman (6)

As a new comer to pipe smoking I had tried nightcap as my first try to my preferrence of an english blend. A great smoke but I knew that it would not be my go to as an all day smoke soi tried this one next. As usual the packaging was great, and on opening the tin I thought I was in a horse stable.

It lights as well as another Dunhill. I did not need to relight at any time. Soon an amazing experience hit me. Like a so smooth buttery English smoke hit me immediately. I could get the oriental straight off but it was so balanced. I have to give it a great score. It took a char straight off, and tha flavour deserves the brand. Heaven was a place on earth. If you want and English experience smoke it. I am new to pipe smoking so take it with a pinch of salt if you will. The pipe did not get hot at any time. The flavour was English all the way. Vitamin n was medium. I think you should add it to your rotation. I will smoke this frequently.

Pipe Used: Briars

Age When Smoked: New tin

JustinCarcerated Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JustinCarcerated (55)

Dunhill quality, present - like presentation, uniformity in cut, spot - on moisture content.

Tin note is english, I cannot differentiate between this and Standard Mixture by smell, or color for that matter.

Lights well, requires minimal maintenance on my part from beginning to end. Now for me, I found standard mixture flat, uneventful, although of good quality...here I must share that I perceive a sweetness from the Vas (?) early on that keeps my attention more so than SM. Also in LM I am not offended by thick overpowering turkish components mid to late bowl -there is harmony between the turkish and oriental blending. It's a good English blend, perhaps a truer example of this genre....having said that I'll continue to gravitate towards MM965 and the beloved Nightcap from Dunhill. Well worth a try though.

Pipe Used: cob, Sav Aristo, Basket

Age When Smoked: Nov 2013

Purchased From: Pipes&Cigars.com

Similar Blends: Standard Mixture.

Medium None Detected Medium Very Pleasant

London Mixture . A very pleasing blend . I found it very similar to Squadron Leader . Upon opening it you are greeted by a similar aroma which is very enticing and the moistness cant be faulted . Also , another perfect point is the lighting , possibly one of the easiest to ignite for me as of yet ! The burn is incredibly even giving a truly sublime smoke where you can detect the different Tobaccos without any outweighing the others . Nicotine level is about Squadron Leader level too and can be inhaled with such ease you don't feel it go down ! Zero tongue bite from this for me either . A slow burn so you get the time to enjoy it and can relax and enjoy . I cant find a single fault with this !

Pipe Used: Peterson

Purchased From: Smoke King

Similar Blends: Squadron Leader.

22yrsonthepipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
22yrsonthepipe (22)
Medium None Detected Medium to Full Strong

Warning: Review by a hater of latakia/english/balkan blends

After trying squadron leader and Presbyterian mixture I had almost given up on Latakia blends. Down to nothing but a concoction of sillems red + SG black cherry + SG Celtic talisman - (I had to mix them to be able to finish the sillems red strawberry chapstick ugh), craving some non-aromatic tobacco I cracked open a tin of London Mix I had left over from an ill-advised all-Latakia order.

To my surprise, even though the latakia, which I HATE, was more prominent than in SL and Presby, the other fine tobaccos came through in a nice balance, unlike SL and Presby, which taste of hot air, creosote and vomit with no discernable tobacco taste.

As I write this, I am feeling a strange urge to pack a bowl, even though I have some FVF and golden slice to smoke now.

To cut a long story short, even though I think of Latakia as an abomination that ruins perfectly good tobacco, (like sprinkling pepper on ice-cream), if you are looking to try an 'English' blend for the first time I would highly recommend London Mixture - the first so-called 'English' (Balkan) blend that I find to be smokable at all. It may even make a convert of me yet.

DrRay Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DrRay (5)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

London Mixture reminds me of the taste of the 1970's Dunhill Cigaretts that were a favorite of my late Father in Law, mixed with really good dry oriental tobacco. It brings back fond memories of smoking one of those great old time Dunhill Cigaretts with the old man after diner while pounding down a good dose of heavy Spanish Brandy like Philippe II and lots of conversation. LM is not a typical heavy English or Balkan blend. The oriental really stands out and it is a very good but not overly complex mix. It is dry, clean and oriental tangy. It burns to a clean white ash. Smoke it slow and enjoy.

As a big time fan of Balkan Sobranie, LM gives off some of that great oriental taste but not nearly as salty as the 1970s BS. Why do all the really great ones have to die? 70s BS was the best tobacco I ever had up there with the 60's and 70's Dunhill Night Cap.

mnadz Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mnadz (35)

This is my favorite so far, but I am new to pipe smoking. Love the flavor. Tasty and mild. Will always have tin of this ready to go. Packs very well...no tongue bite. I do let it dry a bit until I smoke it - helps to avoid soggy finish.

Mild to Medium Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

My second Dunhill tobacco. To me it's Nightcap turned down a notch. i love them both. The tin aroma is not as smokey as Nightcap but overall it still hits the spot.

machinebcon Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
machinebcon (50)

Yummy! An "English" aromatic which suits me as ex-cigarette smoker very well. Not as sour as EMP, has a pinch more Lat in it, but quite similar. I smoke at least one bowl of it a day. Could be considered an all-day smoke, as it is neither too bland, not too heavy on the Nic. Very close to Skiff Mixture. 5 of 5 stars, I don't find anything to criticize.

Update 7/31/2012: This stuff is simply the best, along with Squad Leader. Island tobacco? YES!

Wibblefishofdoom Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Wibblefishofdoom (113)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

My previous samplings of the range of Dunhill leaf have been somewhat varied, and a little disappointing, given the company's reputation. As my fifth sampling of their tobaccos, this is by far the nicest, and yet the strangest. Here's why.

Upon opening the packet, the smell was, well, funny, a strange mixture of soapy tarriness akin to EMP, MM965 and Nightcap... And something else.... Not something I could put my finger on really. As for the lighting and packing, standard stuff here, I'm running out of adjectives on this one, just very easy, though the odd relight might be necessary. It's the smoke and the roomnote where things get disturbingly interesting. Yes, there is that lovely tarriness, but what else is there? Then it dawned on me, damp dog hair, maybe with a hint of dog breath to go with it. I wish I'd taken photo of my facial expression when I realised it.

I don't know what is more disturbing about this, the fact that I think it tastes of moist canine or the fact that I like it so much. Nevertheless, this is the nicest Dunhill I've had so far, the flavour just has more depth to it than any other I've tried. I know I keep comparing these tarry tobaccos to SG's Squadron Leader, and London Mixture probably doesn't quite square up to it. But it definitely is a four star leaf and has definitely earned a place on my "must get more" list.

cgar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
cgar (37)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Never got to experience any of the earlier versions of this, but if they are anything like what I have experienced with these last few tins, then I see why Orlik kept this one in the rotation. I have tried many of the dunhill blends and can honestly say this one is becoming one of my favorites. Layout is typical Orlik/dunhill quality leaf and perfect moisture. Overall rich, creamy smoke that provides full flavor throughout the entire bowl. Four stars all the way!!!!

tleek Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tleek (51)

This is a great medium english blend. I have only had a few bowls but it is an instant favorite.

A good middle dunhill blend. Lighter than nightap, stronger than EMP, Similar strength wise to 965, but a different flavor.

very good

LightenUp-mypipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
LightenUp-mypipe (5)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

A stellar blend. Clearly Orlik is a skilled blender of fine quality tobacco. I think those mourning the loss of Murray as Dunhill's blender should be careful of what they wish for.

Beautifully balanced for a cool flavorful smoke with cool oaky latakia, a little oriental spice and those nice aged virginias. Pull a little harder and in my opinion those virginias become quite prominent. Nice nicotine levels in this one. A nice even burn with consistent flavor top to bottom, possibly a little virginia forward near bottom. This is a great smoke, and for me a nice counterpart to Bombay Court.

Now if I can only find some older Murray tins of this and sell them on ebay before all the Dunhill devotees figure out how good this stuff really is.

One final note for those unaware. Be prepared for that old musty tin note. It smells something like what you would think a previously burned oak log now wet and growing mold would smell like. Do not let that stop you from diving in.

A Northern Breed Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
A Northern Breed (16)

Yes, yes, yes, yes! Dunhill scores again! Seriously, the people who are constantly moaning about how awful it has been to have Orlik blending our beloved Dunhill mixtures must have some kind of problem with Orlik or something. I have not yet had an Orlik Dunhill mixture that did not at least live up to the Murray's (with the exception of MM965, but that's no big deal to me because there are other English blends I prefer in that category of English). So, this review will not refer to the Murray's version, because Murray has not blended Dunhill tobaccos in 7 years. So this will refer to what someone would receive were they to pick up a tin of London Mixture at the B&M or e-tailer.

This is a near-perfect English. Plain and simple. I find absolutely nothing to complain about here, as is typical with Dunhill mixtures. Nice presentation; I love the simple label on the tin, the nice, true to form Dunhill ribbon cut, and that characteristic Dunhill smell. I would love to know just what on Earth makes their tobaccos smell like that. It's just a smell that makes me get the warm and fuzzies like crazy. Packing and lighting is similarly easy, and I often don't even have to do a relight after the initial light and tamp.

The smoking of it is as good as could be expected from any tobacco, period. It burns evenly, at the perfect rate (although it might be fast for some smokers, it matches my cadence beautifully), and down to a clean, fine ash. I have literally not had to relight one time with this particular tin of LM, which is at least worth mentioning, in my opinion. The different tobaccos all sing in harmony, and nothing is out of place. The flavor is just... English. I mean, how else can you explain it? Virginia, Latakia, and the Turkish kind of balances it out. Orientals are in there too. It's odd, my tin doesn't specify that there's Latakia in it, but my taste buds sure do seem to think it's there.

Oh, and as always with Dunhill, there is a nice, solid punch from the nicotine. Dunhill is the one blending house who consistently provides enough Lady N for my tastes, although Peterson generally doesn't skimp too bad either, especially compared to the likes of McClelland and Mac Baren (who are excellent blending houses, just not enough nicotine usually for my tastes). Just thought I would mention that in case there are others like me out there who are searching for good mixtures that also don't skimp on the nicotine. It's too bad how many fantastic mixtures there are out there that fall short on that (to my mind) essential component of pipe tobacco.

Anyway, all things considered, fantastic. If I were asked by someone, "Hey, I've been wanting to try English blends, what are they all about?", I would silently hand them a tin of London Mixture and let them see for themselves. Top notch, four stars.

Dr Pipeflake Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dr Pipeflake (8)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

This is also my favorite in the dunhill line thus far. Prefer it to 965 hands down. Can smoke it all day - no bite just full tobacco goodness. Nice smokiness from the latakia, gentle "just sweet enoughness" from the VA, and nice roundness from the turkish/ orientals. Very balanced and satisfying if you enjoy English Blends.

Wagon25 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Wagon25 (14)
Medium Very Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

This is a man's blend. Subtle, but full and unpretentious. Buy it, smoke it, and be a better man for it.

Medium None Detected Medium Tolerable to Strong

A classic English mixture, with Orientals in the leading role complemented with rich Virginias and Latakia. In fact, it's so classic and so well balanced that it lacks the character I like to find in a tobacco. Anyway, London Mixture is a must try for any serious pipe smoker.

Trondv Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Trondv (1)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Full Tolerable

My first review, and I'm new to pipesmoking so you'll get no advanced tobacco lingo from me I'm afraid. However i have tastebuds and a sense of smell so here goes:

Firs off this is one of the more enjoyable smokes I've had so far.

The tobacco is easy for me to light and keep lit, which as a beginner i appreciate. Perfect dryness out of the tin for me!

The first puffs of the blend tastes and smells to me like the smoke from common juniper (Juniperus communis) on a campfire - which is one of the things i like best about the blend. This taste/smell takes the backseat further down the bowl where the tastes of spicey vanilla takes over (although not too sweet). I guess this is what previous reviewers hav noted as "creamyness". This taste, blended with the woodsmokey feel (which pops inn and out of the tasteexperience throughout the smoke) makes this an exciting experience.

I also like the smell of the unsmoked tobacco out of the tin, which reminds me of smokey whiskey.

Highly reccomended.

TTQC Driver Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TTQC Driver (6)

When I had my pipe collection cleaned and restored in August, 2008, my first purchase was Dunhill mixture mild. I liked it a lot, but could not get any more, so I got Dunhill London Mixture next. I really liked it, but could not find it locally after my initial purchase. Then in October, 2008 I found out why when at J&R in Washington, D.C. So, I substituted by purchasing Samueth Gawith Squadron Leader. Just before Christmas, 2008, I was able to get two tins from Iwan Reis. Last month I found a local shop had hoarded some London Mixture before Dunhill lost the USA distributor, so I decided a tin each payday would be fine. Yesterday I found out another customer bought almost the entire stock at $16.47 per tin. Enough history. I can only hope Dunhill will get back into the USA and I will be able to get London Mixture again. This is the pick of the litter to me for English blends. Of all the tobaccos I have smoked recently, this is the only one I can really sense the aroma myself. The other morning when I was walking Lara, our Borzoi, a fellow walking behind me said he loved the odor of my pipe smoke. The taste is wonderful. No tounge bite. A pleasant aftertaste. Fine white ash to the bottom of the bowl. I recommend London Mixture highly and hope it can return to the USA market.

Medium Mild to Medium Medium to Full Tolerable

Latakia was never on my A list as far as taste goes, but on occasion I would buy a tin of London Mixture whenever I wanted a more fuller-bodied tasting tobacco. For me, there was just the right balance of Latakia and Turkish. I never really experienced the Virginia as I do with straight Virginia blends, but I am sure that it added (along with the Turkish) to the delicate sweetness of this blend. As far as memory serves me, and I'm speaking of London Mixture when Dunhill was still producing it, I was never disappointed whenever the mood struck. A solid 3 stars.

Pipey Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipey (17)

I picked up a tin of this while i was in Berlin about 3 years ago. the somewhat arrogant tobacconist was pretty reluctant to sell it to me as it was the last tin that he had, and was kind of hidden on a shelf under some other dunhill tobaccos. He informed me that this blend was no longer produced and that it had been in stock for a year or so just sitting there...

I was on the hunt for Dorisco Mixture, as that is the only pipe tobacco that i have found that is truly my cup of tea. Had i known these two were so similar I would have opened the tin immediately.

so this weekend, i was vising a friend who lives some 700kms from my house, who is the only pipe smoker that i know. The strange thing is that he also loves dorisco and has been guzzling it ever since i sent him a tin from my cellar. I say strange as Dorisco isnt everyones favorite as it has so much perique in it.

This London mixture that i am smoking, could just as well be Dorisco. They are so sililar in taste, that i honestly dont know if i could tell them apart in a blind test.

Smooth, rich, spicy and delicious are all words that i would use to descrive this mixture. It is absolutely masterful in its blending and exicution. Its pretty broad cut and the virginias are matured to perfection.

Pretty strange considering that Dorisco says it doesnt have latakia, neither does london mixture. I am assuming that london mixture also has perique, however the label doesnt say anything about it.

I reckon a group 4 is about perfect for mixtures like this.

My cavicchi is perfoming like a pro with this delicious leaf. 10/10- highly recommended!

Silver Spigot Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Silver Spigot (18)
Strong None Detected Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This is a very good English blend, not quite as smooth as 965, a little more "smoky" in flavor.

cecilianinnc Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
cecilianinnc (9)
Medium None Detected Full Tolerable

This was actually the first english-type blend that I tried. It actually inspired me to branch out and try others. It was very smokey throughout, because of the latakia, but I really enjoyed that. Beyond the smokeyness, it was nice and sweet (in a tobacco-ey sort of way, if that makes any sense). I will definitely be buying more of this (that is, if I can find anywhere that will sell it at a decent price anymore).

jankoez Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jankoez (67)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

I agree with Laudante's observation that Dunhill's tobaccos were better before. Probaby Latakia was from other source. Anyway, this blend is still very, very good to give a lot of pleasure. Not recommended on empty stomach or on hot Summer day.

Pipeline Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipeline (206)

The closest comparison that I can make to London Mixture is GLPease Renaissance. Both have a mild sweetness from aged, dark Virginias (LM is sweeter, with chunks of unrubbed flake amidst ribbons. I detect a touch of Cavendish, too. Neither is sweet like a Danish-style blend).

Both have plenty of Turkish tobacco forward with a goodly amount of Latakia in the background (LM seems to have a bit more Latakia to me). LM is unquestionably a medium English blend, while Renaissance approaches, almost, an Oriental mixture or the Balkan genre.

Renaissance is smoother (refined?), but perhaps LM has more interesting personality changes from beginning to end. Both can be made to smoke hot if puffed aggressively. Each is rich and satisfying.

LM smokes better for me in group 4 or larger bowls, while Renaissance works in smaller bowls, too. LM and Renaissance could be smoked all day, but it might be a bit indulgent, if not a loss of potential contemplation.

As far as the Dunhill line of tinned blends distributed in the USA, LM has more Latakia and Orientals than Early Morning Pipe, is less acrid and more balanced than Aperitif and more lively and balanced than Durbar. LM bears little resemblance to Nightcap and is something like 965 without the heavy Latakia, tongue-beating and nicotine. I have yet completed a full review of the Standard Mixtures.

LM is in my rotation of fine, medium English blends along with Squadron Leader (the king), British Woods, Renaissance, and Preludio.

Simenon Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Simenon (15)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant

This refers to the current production (2004-5) London Mixture.

At the outset let me state that this is an absolutely delightful mixture, the quintessential English Tobacco. Not 965, not Renaissance, no -- god forbid -- any McClleland mixture, compare to London Mixture if you are looking for the traditional version of English TObacco.

Please note that the blend has become slightly lighter and less pungent over the years (read less Latakia in the tin).

Still, this is a delight. Despite the relatively high Virginia content the tobacco does NOT burn hot. Keep in mind that when I say it doesn't burn hot, I mean what I write! Some reviewrs will state with a smile that Cumberland or some other similarly volcanic tobacco doesn't burn...well I guess some people walk on red hot coals too...But this one is really cool smoking. The flavours are sweet at first (sweeter than a few years ago as stated) but then the Latakia takes over and adds a delicate touch to the mix.

In London Mixture the Latakia adds smokiness to the substance of the virginia while the Turkish adds a restrained spice to the whole. Every tobacco compliments each other perfectly and that is extremely rare in pipe tobacco belnds and this is why this blend ranks as the single best English blend commercialy available today. London Mixture is the epitome of blending excellence.

Three Cheers for London Mixture!

kilted1 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
kilted1 (43)

Dunhill is a much respected purveyor of Pipes and Tobacco products the world over. During the 25 years I have smoked pipes, many a bowl of Dunhill tobaccos have passed through my pipes. Several of Dunhill?s mixtures have been ?standards? of mine over the years; My Mixture 965, London Mixture, Nightcap, with several making the ?once in awhile? slot in my rotation; Dunbar, Standard Mixture, and a new addition recently added the very confusingly named ?Light Flake?.

With these things in mind, I?ve returned to several old favorites for purposes of review. Having explored the world of tobacco and smoking many of the current English/Balkan offerings by many a blender, I thought it was time to see what I thought of some former ?standards?

Dunhill tobacco mixtures have suffered from what we might call ?outsourcing?. Other blenders have suffered similar fates, while others have ?been there, done that? and found satisfactory ?outsourcing blenders? to carry on a fine tradition.

To my pallet of the Dunhill mixtures that have suffered the greatest casualties; London Mixture and My Mixture 965 are the most gravely wounded.

London Mixture

Appearance: A beautiful mixture of light and reddish./brownish Virginias, Latakia and Turkish leaf presented in ribbon cut form of nearly uniform cut. This is very appealing to the eye of one looking for a ?typically English? tobacco mixture.

Tin aroma: Exactly what one would expect upon cracking open a tin of English tobacco, a nice blast of smoky Latakia, followed by the raisin/fig sweetness of Virginias and a musty leathery Turkish undertone. The mouth-watering scents of an adult pleasure with anticipation of roughly an hour?s escape from ?modern life?.

For purposes of review, I?ve loaded a bowl (using the ?once like a baby, once like a lady, finally like a man? method of packing) into a Cassano rusticated Canadian of roughly Dunhill group 4/5 capacity. This pipe has been exclusively an English/Balkan smoker for several years, and should introduce no prejudice to the smoke.

Upon lighting, I greeted with a blast of Latakia/Turkish smokiness with leathery/musty undertones, with the mild sweetness of Virginias just under the surface. Good so far, there seem to be no faults in proportions of the individual components thus far, everything seems where it should be, with a complexity and ?competition? for attention by each tobacco.

Mid Bowl: Approaching mid-bowl, the complexity and intensity as building nicely, the Virginias are a little more pronounced and assertive, while the Latakia and Turkish have settled into a nice middle pallet place. When exhaled nasally the Turkish has a familiar ?drying effect? on the throat and dominates the soft pallet areas of the mouth. This mixture (thankfully) has seeming little/none of the Cavendish confusion of My Mixture 965, just a very cool and dry smoking one associates with a truly great English mixture of rather full body. If only these conditions would persist. The fine balance of leather/smoke/must/nuttiness and raisins begin to fade, or rather become less distinct.

Home Stretch: As end of the bowl approaches, the ?fading? continues, as each component tries to re-assert dominance this mixture becomes less than a friendly ?competition?. This is the point where flavors should be at their peak and cooperating with each other, instead we are where most smokers would expect the first third of the bowl to be. The volume of smoke from each puff is phenomenal, and the pallet is intense and broad indeed, yet it is too much. Were the flavors in cooperation at this point it would be marvelous, superlative even, however, the complexity has degraded into cacophony. There are so many other blenders out there who do a much better job with the ?final third? of the bowl with blends this full. This once majestic blend has not held it?s own in recent years, a pale shadow of its former self. To think that I used to DGT this blend regularly, saving the final third for several hours later!

Supplemental Notes: I really wish that Dunhill would employ some ?old school? pipe smokers with ?reference tins? at least 5 years old or older to do some ?quality control? of their current offerings. Many of their old classic line have faded, some drastically. Rating for those interested in numbers 1/2 - =

The Keeper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The Keeper (112)

I believe this is the English blend that I expected My Mixture 965 to be - a bit spicier not quite so deep in latakia and no cavendish as per 965. Therefore also not as flat tasting. I believe this tobacco should be the yard stick by which all English blends are measured.

Very musky and cigar like at points - with the spice tobaccos providing smokey, leathery and nutty undertones. There are hints of citrus, but not quite as tangy as an oriental based balkan. All cast members take the stage with equal form and function.

This is nearly as good as Margate and very similar in taste. It is not quite as complex and deep as that blend, but also can be found for literally half the price. It builds to a slightly stronger and more "punchy" note.

As others have noted - the taste does develop with only a few days worth of airing. Pop the tin and put a bit aside for a day or two later. Patience will be rewarded.

Pedigree, strength, delicacy. Perfect for cool and rainy days in England or abroad.

I think were I to smoke an English blend all day - this one would be it.

JB Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JB (41)

I was not impressed by this blend when I first opened the tin. The first bowls were bland and burned unevenly for me. However, when the tobacco had a chance to dry out a bit...WOW, what a difference! Suddenly, it burns beautifully, it has a creamy/nutty taste and it's the type of English blend you want to nose breathe. It has a wonderful room note now and I'm suddenly wishing I had bought more! Some tobaccos you can get away with smoking early and they are well behaved. I don't think this is one of them. My next tins of LM will get opened and allowed to breath for a couple of days before I attack it. Recommended!

Stubert Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Stubert (4)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This blend is one of my favorites, for its smooth consistency, highly cooperative burning characteristics and well-balanced flavor; neither too sweet, nor too strong or spicy, neither too heavy nor mild, nor too hot or moist, this blend just sits right in the groove and holds itself together like a fine piece of music or a well-prepared meal. An outstanding blend with balance its outstanding characteristic. A thoroughly satisfying smoke for those who enjoy English blends.

Not much to add to the above reviews but that's my 2 cents.

Puffer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Puffer (9)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Tolerable to Strong

This is one of those blends which satisfies my desire for pure, unadulterated tobacco taste. If it were not for the generous amount of nicotine, I would rate this one 5/5, or a regular favorite. As such, I enjoy London Mixture after a good dinner, and prefer to puff it while sipping a single malt scotch (Islay, preferably).

The tin aroma is strong and dusky, owing to the dark Virginias and moderate loading of Latakia. There is no trace of Cavendish, and its attendant sweetness, in this blend. Cut is a narrow ribbon, mixed short and long pieces, which packs well. I found that a little airing helped before packing, as moisture in the tin is a little high.

The first match brings on the Latakia, spicy and strong. The flavor starts off strong and stays that way all the way through, although about mid-way, the Virginia becomes predominant over the Latakia. All the while, the various components of the blend intermingle in a most satisfactory way, resulting in a robust flavor that does not diminish at any time. This is a strong, peppery, spicy flavor, not harsh, but definitely noticeable in the nostrils and at the back of your throat. It is very pleasant, but for me, not something I want constantly or in large doses.

Room note is pretty heavy. I like to smoke this one outdoors.

An occasional relight is necessary, although this may be due to the moisture content of this tobacco. At the end, you get a fine gray ash. Pipes used to smoke London Mixture retain the taste and aroma for some time. I let them rest thoroughly (4 to 5 days) between smokes.

This is a tobacco of excellent quality and savory flavor. I recommend it to all experienced smokers.

Update 7/22/04:

After some more experimentation with this tobacco, I have raised my rating to five stars, a regular favorite. The key for me was letting the tobacco dry out before smoking. Not only did the bowl burn cooler and smoother, but no relights were necessary. The flavor became more complex and deeper as well. Reducing the moisture content of the weed necessitates a slower, more liesurely smoke. This is the secret which unlocks all the mellow, nutty, creamy notes. Due to the slower pace of smoking, the nicotine rush was also greatly reduced. I still would not smoke this all day, but I now enjoy a bowl regularly. How wonderful to reacquiaint myself with this exemplary weed. Just sniffing the bowl of a pipe dedicated to this mixture is enough to make me want to light up. Five Stars!

miles o'toole Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
miles o'toole (7)
Medium Medium Medium Tolerable

Bravo Dunhill! As a relatively newcomer to pipes, but a long time cigarette smoker I have to say, this blend knocked me out! Smoked cool, burns well and tastes great. I've been ending my days with a bowl of London Mixture for the last week and have increasingly enjoyed each smoke. The blend is very harmonious with no real standouts among the tobacco's used. This may have finally weened me off the mild aromatics I've been experimenting with. Will definitely always keep a tin on hand. Great stuff!

Mild to Medium None Detected Full Pleasant

Ah, this is more like it! I had considered 965 to be the perfect medium English, right up until I loaded this veritable weed into my pipe. Good stuff, Mr. Alfred, sir! There was no cavendish and I didn't miss it one bit. I was too busy appreciating the smooth Virginia, perfect Cyprian, and tasty Turkish leaves. The turkish is more of an afterthought here, as opposed to Apertif where they play center stage. In fact this is certainly an ensemble production if there ever was one. Nothing really sticks out and instead is seemlessly brought together in an English standing ovation. Bravo!!!!!

PaganBoyNC Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PaganBoyNC (8)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Tolerable to Strong

This blend is sweet, spicy and velvety smooth. I find the Virginias to be most noticeable, with spicy hints from the Orientals and a bit of character from the Latakia, which sits squarely in the background although does add a slight bitter hint to the blend at times (the only downside, as I dislike most latakias--though much lighter on the latakia than some blends). This is a very rich, complex and tasty blend that is not at all overpowering. The further down the bowl you get, the more the flavors blend. I would say that this blend is just as rich as Durbar, but much more polite.

If you want a natural tobacco taste that's smooth but hearty without being dull, and has a light latakia kick, get a tin and check it out.

Briarabbit Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Briarabbit (116)

London Mixture is my all time favorite Dunhill smoke. It is my pick for the only tobacco to have while stranded on a desert island. The cut of the tobacco is a small cut ribbon. The tin aroma is mellow and musty wonderful.My wife says the tin aroma smells like a burnt tire,but says the burning tobacco does smell pretty good. The London Mixture is spicey,robust and the Virginias are naturaly sweet,with the turkish a big hit. IMO this is the finest English smoking tobacco money can buy.

Bigdadz Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bigdadz (33)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Strong

An enjoyable balkan blend with the orientals really shining. I remember the murray's version being very musty and leathery. The orlik variety is quite decent, and is probably the best of the current dunhill offerings.

Medium None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

I was introduced to London Mixture after a number of years of smoking both Dunhill?s 965 and Balkan Sobranie?s Original Mixture. While these two were?and at least 965 still is?amongst my favourite cold-day smokes, I usually reach a point in which I find them overwhelming. When I first tried LM, I was impressed by the elegance of its flavour, its rather ?toasty? zest, and the straightforwardness of the mixture as a whole. Not exactly an all day smoke, but closer than the other two. Initially I thought of it as a ?lighter? version of 965, and slightly stronger than Early Morning. However, after smoking it for a while, I have discovered LM stands completely on its own. It has a very particular presence, with a whole range of flavours gradually emerging from the bowl. Even when smoking a number of bowls, it is not overwhelming. For me, it is a meditative tobacco, with a wonderfully rich smokiness, at times spicy, at times slightly sweet and tangy, very rewarding always. Unlike 965 and BS, London Mixture tends to burn drier, and I find it easier to pack and light. If smoked slowly, it can really develop a potential that I have not found in other Latakia-Turkish-Virginia mixtures (save, perhaps, for Rattray?s Black Mallory). I wouldn?t have it as a first smoke, but once you light a bowl it is difficult to wish for something more. Yet, it is a tobacco that leaves the pipe clean, and the palate satisfied, without rendering it parched. IMO it is one of those tobaccos?very much like Light Flake, Brown Clunee and Old London 100% Virginia?that stand in a category of their own. Highly recommended!

father_brian Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
father_brian (12)
Strong Extremely Mild Full Tolerable to Strong

This is my preferred Dunhill blend. I find it both smooth and strong, but not overpowering in any respect. An example of superb craftsmanship: well-balanced. It never bites and burns very evenly, down to a fine white ash. Strongly recommended!

idbowman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
idbowman (13)
Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Very Strong

I found this to be unremarkable - not bad by any stretch, but not memorable, either.

If you've smoked Early Morning Pipe and MM965, take the midpoint between the two and that's a (very) rough approximation of what you'll get from London Mixture. There is noticeable amounts of latakia present, but the orientals are just as noticeable, if not more. The two in combination work well enough together, but they muddle the Virginias that never really gets a chance to shine through. It's a weird thing, but LM seems to find Latakia, Oriental, and Virginia in just the right combination to make the blend taste like Burley plus some condimental notes.

The tin note and room note aren't very pleasant, though. In the tin, it's nondescript to the point of boring and in the room it's a bit like cigarette smoke but not quite as lingering or acrid.

On the technical side, it was a bit of a pain to light and to keep lit - another reviewer of some repute has chalked this up to the cut and consistency and I'm inclined to agree. It's also a very hot smoke and generates a good bit of steam even; even paying a lot of attention to the pace and temp I was smoking I couldn't avoid singeing my tongue a bit.

I guess the best way I could describe this is an English/Oriental take on the old-time American codger burleys. Maybe that's good, maybe that's not. For me, this is one to file in the "not to repurchase" file.

Pipe Used: Briars, Cobs, Meers

balkan_boy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
balkan_boy (36)

I'm not sure if this review will be relevant at all, but let's give it a shot. I got this from a friend of mine who had the tin cracked open, smoked bowl or two, and left it for a year or two to dry every last molecule of H2O of the tobacco. It was crispy and when you pinch it, it turned almost to dust. So I've packed my bowl with this gunpowder like substance, and lt it. And it was good. Really good. Then I've said to myself, this is going to be awesome smoke, it just needs some hydratation. I didn't want it to grind to dust, so I've poured some drops of water onto the paper in the tin, closed it and repeated the procedure after few days. At the end, the tobacco was in perfect moisture level, and in ribbon (shag maybe?) form. It looked as if the tin was fresh opened. Then I packed my pipe, and there was a little bit of disappointment. It didn't taste as good as when it was crispy. Maybe the additional moisturizing has ruined it, I don't have any idea. It was still pretty good however, and still enjoyable. There's Turkish leaf in it, which I usually like, but it seems like it lacks balance. The oriental tobaccos can be Balkan style, and Turkish style. Turkish are stronger and spicier. Here as if it is a bit too much, and somehow it doesn't play that well with Latakia. I must say again, that's the "moist" impression, and there's a big chance that I have ruined it.

In all, a very good smoke, a little bit strong and tends to bite as well. I'll give it 3 stars, and when I open a fresh tin, I'll edit the review.

King Weed Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
King Weed (46)
Strong None Detected Full Very Pleasant

I want to state, right up front, that I really like this blend! I had ordered some Dunhill tins from p and c .com on a promotion they had going and, as fate would have it, one of the tins in the order had become unsealed in transit - one of the London Mixture tins. So, I removed the lid and cardboard disk and a beautiful sight and aroma greeted me. The last English tin I had opened previously was a tin of the current Presbyterian Mixture and I thought, wow, this looks very similar. So, I opened the PM tin and set them side by side for comparison and this is what I discovered; THESE TWO BLENDS ARE PRACTICALLY TWINS! The tin aromas are almost identical as are their physical appearances, with the LM being ever so slightly lighter in color. Their cuts are identical and they smoke very similarly, with the LM smoking with a slightly higher register. I would classify both blends as borderline medium/heavy Englishes and definite A+ smokes. If you go back and review my review of Presbyterian Mixture, everything I said there about PM's history is uncannily true for London Mixture: first a strong medium English, then lightened and weakened, then resurrected in recent times to their old glory and more. I give both blends unequivocal four star status and highly recommend that you try both.

Pipe Used: Ashton LX Pebble Grain saddle bit Dublin

Age When Smoked: Current

Purchased From: pipesand cigars.com

Similar Blends: the current version of Presbyterian Mixture.

cavendishes Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
cavendishes (5)
Medium None Detected Medium Tolerable to Strong

To me, this is a good, no frills medium English blend that is smooth and relaxing. The cut is easy to pack, it stays lit relatively well, and burns pretty cool with little to no bite depending on how you smoke it.

The flavor is balanced with no one element sticking out too much. It's not a lat bomb by any stretch of the imagination, nor is it oriental forward. Unlike some other English blends I've had, it doesn't change character drastically from start to finish, but does build in intensity a bit toward the bottom of the bowl. It has some smokiness from the Latakia, mild incense from the orientals, but more in the nose than the mouth, and the Virginias just exist but don't stand out.

The nicotine level is pretty decent, but it's not a nic bomb either. It did sneak up on me a bit though and I had to set the pipe down and let it rest a bit.

Overall, this is an enjoyable blend that I quite like and will keep in my rotation.

Pipe Used: Vintage meerschaum straight billiard

ddmholst Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ddmholst (20)
Mild None Detected Very Mild Tolerable to Strong

For me dunhill blends are very hit or miss. This offering would be a miss for me. London mix seems to be an oriental forward very light english blend. My tin had a little more than a year on it so that could have mellowed it more than a younger tin. The first third of the bowl is unpleasant. The tobaccos don't really seem to come together. Each one pops up here and there fighting with each other more so than complementing themselves. As I push on the bowl settles out a bit. The blend finally comes together offering a soft mix of lat/oriental with the Virginia being a bit player offering a small amount of sweetness. I was starting to enjoy it at this point. All of a sudden the bowl made a turn for the worse, it did not recover. Mostly sour and hot steam. If puffed at a nauseatingly slow pace it still pretty much sucked. I was forced to dump my bowl.

Its obvious that many people enjoy this blend. I,unfortunately, am not one of them. It seems to be made of high quality tobacco.

Of course now comes the question of keeping it in the cellar indefinitely of tossing it? It's always difficult to make myself donate to the compost pile. My tastes invariably change with time but I think the total lack of nicotine just might push me over the edge and toss it. I suppose some folks smoke a pipe and don't care for much nicotine. I like it, hell I need it. In summary. There are much better english blends on the market. This may be the one for you. Not me.

Pipe Used: Lat/oriental dedicated briars

Purchased From: Pipesandcigars.com

atomicbuster Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
atomicbuster (29)
Extremely Mild Extremely Mild Very Mild Tolerable

Word like 'harsh' or 'mild' often leave much unsaid. Before I describe any characteristics, I'd like you to imagine a decent Latakia and a low quality cigarette marrying and producing an offspring that inherited their worst traits. Now imagine they named it London Mixture. Anyhoo, back to the description. This blend causes tongue bite. It does not taste very well. It leaves a sour room note. The 'Turkish' is nowhere to be found. Drying does not improve the blend. Smoking it in various pipes does not improve the experience. Overall, this is just very unpleasant, so it is NOT recommended.

CTS Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CTS (127)

Very flavorful blend. Spice comes through, especially on retrohale. Burns smooth and clean throughout the bowl on one light, post char. Good pure tobacco flavors. 3+*.

Pipe Used: Italian Basket

Age When Smoked: Tin stamp 1104034029

Purchased From: P&C

Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This one is all about the Turkish. You won't find balance here and, for a change, I don't mind one bit. The Virginias and the Latakia take a back seat in this blend. The Turkish is loud and superb. I love this one. It has become a favorite.

Andersson Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Andersson (6)
Medium to Strong None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable

Good latakia blend, quite strong. But as for me it doesn't have enough taste for pleasure.

StrongMixturesOnly Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
StrongMixturesOnly (17)
Medium Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Another good mixture from Dunhill. This medium English mixture is a great all day smoke. It has a light taste and not too much nicotine so it can be smoked more often. All in all, a recommended blend.

The Happy Piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The Happy Piper (14)

I'd really give this 2.5 stars as it is actually quite a nice blend, but it can seem a bit timid at times due to its "beige" flavour. Nothing actually wrong with it, though when my mouth has been off or I've come to this from a stronger blend, it has tasted a bit flat and cigarettish.

Addendum: I won't be buying this again. While there is at times quite an emphatic taste, it is not one I prefer- think 2 week-old Golden Virginia handrolling tobacco.

Balisong Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Balisong (3)

A nice well balanced blend. All of the components shine through individually and complement each other as a whole. Burns easily with no bite.

MrBones Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
MrBones (1)
Medium Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

My favorite all day smoke. If I could only have one tobacco this would be it.

Hottgunn Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Hottgunn (19)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

Nice, full, rich taste. Falls below NC and above MM965 in strength. Good everyday tobacco. Moisture is perfect out of the tin. Just excellent when smoked in my Dunhill's. No bite. Well balanced, nutty taste. If I had to choose just one tobacco forsaking all others, this might be the one although MM 965 and EMP are close. Highly recommended.

Dr. Scott Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dr. Scott (82)
Medium to Strong None Detected Very Full Strong

This is a full English mixture. Heavy on the Latakia. Any Virginia or Turkish is completely lost in the Latakia. Relatively low in nicotine, less than Early Morning Pipe. Recommended only for those who love the smoky stuff.

Strichetto Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Strichetto (16)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Full Tolerable to Strong

I've smoked this mixture in the '80s and '90s, buying it in Italy and Switzerland. It's not cheap, but at an average price for selected tobaccoes. Classic EM, perfect medium cut and moisture to smoke immediately, full and spicy aroma at opening.

Aroma: quite strong EM aroma.

Taste: one only word, terrific. One of my favoured full bodied EM: strong, tasty, a unforgettable personality. A real satisfaction, especially in winter rainy weather...

Room note: maybe really strong: it's the only tobacco I was forbidden to smoke indoor at home (someone said it was sticky, to clothes, furniture, and so on...!)

Burning: correctly on the slow side, but not too much.

Best Briars: it surely deserves the honor of dedicated EM pipes, the best pipes...

Recommended, to people loving ultra-classic simple and direct full bodied EM, of course. Four stars.

Arkie Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Arkie (107)
Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Medium Tolerable

This is a typical English mixture. The only thing that sets it apart is a fairly strong nic kick.

AdRock Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
AdRock (5)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable to Strong

I got a tin of London Mixture today from a small shop that specialized in cigars. They didn't have much for us pipers, but I felt I had wasted enough of the shopkeeper's time so I bought some smoke. I didn't like this too much tbh. The tin note was faintly sweet and not particularly appetizing. The tin I had was mostly oriental and had a distinguishable cigarette quality to it. I had two bowls and jarred the rest. I have no intention of smoking any more of this anytime soon. Maybe in a few years this will be great!

drdave Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
drdave (9)
Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Full Pleasant

This weed is smooth from the top to the bottom of the bowl. Plenty of vitamin N. It has that mysterious, elusive quality of all fine tobaccos. Perfect balance of the Virginias, Latakia, and other orientals. Wonderful full flavor. Puffed fast or sipped slow, it never bites. And I'll say it again, "wonderful full flavor."

Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

I had felt for a long time that I was missing something by not having gone through all of Dunhill's tobacco offerings; this was the final blend available to me in my home country that I had not tried. Well, now I have.

The tin note, on opening, already shows me there is a good amount of vitamin N to be expected. Not an overkill, but satisfying, and for myself, enough to make this a now-to-bed smoke (as opposed to Nightcap...). Relatively dark leaf, standard ribbon cut, so off I go stuffing and puffing. No re-lights necessary, btw.

The smoke starts out with a slight note of liquorice (could there be a pinch of Kentucky in there, maybe?) and a good, toasty, smoky note, with a beefy sweet-sour- ish note (more sweet than sour) on the tongue. The room note... well, it's a Latakia- dominated blend. What more can I say.

There are a few things to like or not to like about London Mixture. It has character. In my book, that is a good thing. Summing up: good strength, enjoyable taste (to me), forget the room note and have a nice, malty whisky along with it before you go to bed. Might be habit-forming for me, but only as long as I cannot get certain other blends here that are available in the UK.

Addition, March 05, 2013: I find that the room note, for me, is very uncomfortably sour (not sure there is a better word for it); much as I enjoy the taste, the room note is a killer.

CPT/VSG Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CPT/VSG (72)

This tasting note is from a Murray's tin--I've not tried the Orlik version, which has been well received.

LM is a mild English blend, some what more robust than EMP in its use of Latakia. I could see this being an all day smoke for some. It burns well down to a fine ash. A fine balance of orientals and Virginias. Recommended.

pipeFitter Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pipeFitter (5)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

Dunhill's London Mixture was, along with a mild local Virginia blend for the mornings, my first good pipe tobacco. Packing is easy and not critical. It often burns to the bottom of the bowl on one light and burns cool unless abused. I fell in love with it and determined to never be without it. In strength and body, it falls midway between Early Morning Pipe and Nightcap, if a bit toward the latter. While the ad copy and reviews indicate My Mixture 965 is stronger and fuller, I personally find the opposite. The taste of the two are entirely different, with MM965 a bit smoother and creamier, and LM with a bit tangier kick. Both are among my weekend choices for mid-day or afternoon (I have to smoke a mild aromatic at work). I can smoke MM965 first thing in the morning, but not London Mixture. On the other hand, while MM965 seems lacking in the evening for me, LM can fill the after-dinner role, although now that I've had it, I'd miss Nightcap.

Low in latakia and virginia, high in oriental. If you enjoy oriental, give this one a shot.

patrijks Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
patrijks (1)
Strong Very Mild Full Strong

My first Latakia ! Strong for a beginner but enjoy from the beginning 'til the end.

Pipe1000 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipe1000 (14)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable

Update, I have been smoking this blend for a while now and my review has to change... Sadly, London mixture has gone down in my books, it's ok, the more I smoke it the more I can't get one of the previous comments out of my head, "Damp Dog"... Any he's right, It actually does taste of it! Moved on to Night Cap and Squadron Leader for my English tobacco's of choice now.

who me? Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
who me? (8)
Medium Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

When I recently renewed my acquaintance with the pipe after about a 30 year abstinence, this was the first blend that I tried. I found that the more I smoked it and the more I tried other blends, the greater my appreciation of LM. The experience was good enough that it made a Dunhill fan out of me and now I have tried a half dozen of their other blends as well. I have found them all to be excellent, well age, blends with good packing characteristics and smooth smoking qualities.

The Latakia smokiness, pleasant Turkish aroma and the Virgina sweetness of LM are all expertly blended to make an excellent all day, any time smoke that I highly recommend.

DrDyson Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DrDyson (113)
Medium Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This latest incarnation of a Dunhill tobacco is a very civilized, well balanced English mixture. Indeed, balance is is strongest point. The ingredients complement one another perfectly; the Latakia is present but not overwhelming; the quality and characteristics remain uniform all the way down the bowl. My only real grievance is that it burns too quickly - I like a longer smoke. Also, it's relatively expensive; I rather resent this because I suspect that it's simply a case of trading on the Dunhill name. In all important respects, though, this is good stuff if you like English mixtures. It's a bit like what I remember the old and lamented Craven Mixture to have been like. If anyone misses CM as much as I do, this one is well worth a try. Highly recommended.

orka Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
orka (56)

When I first tried this blend a couple of years ago, after it became readily available again in Europe, I wasn't terribly impressed. But I've come to love it over the years, and it is now one of my absolute favourite english blends.

Others have already elaborated on what it's like, so I won't rehash it (I largely agree, and don't have much to add anyway). I still can't quite decide whether or not I like 965 more, but there are worse problems than that to be had in life, and it's easilly solved by having a few tins of both on hand.

Either way, London Mixture is an excellent alternation blend for more powerful stuff, but also holds it own very well too as it carries a decent punch and doesn't skimp on the flavour. It's good for large bowls, as it is indeed "never tiring" on the palate, is very easy to smoke and doesn't demand constant attention to deliver a good smoke. Perhaps it won't win any awards for complexity, but I wouldn't call it monochromatic - there's enough variation going on so that it never becomes boring.

To me this blend is just about perfect and I really can't recommend it enough. It's great from a fresh tin, but becomes really excellent with some age on it.

SmileyOrb Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SmileyOrb (12)
Medium Medium to Strong Medium to Full Tolerable

After trying various Peterson tobaccos I thought I'll give Dunhill a go. Being a Londoner I purchased the London Mixture. Upon opening the tin the tobacco has a very pungent tar like aroma. The blend is cut fine and consistent. I was immediately curious! Upon lighting a mixture a flavours fills you - the first is what could be best described as burnt honey, the mix of Virginia providing a slight sweetness. As you continue to smoke the blend seems to get deeper, a creamy woody taste. It's a delightful smoke; in fact it makes me want to try the other Dunhill blends. I can readily understand this being a typical English blend as it tastes as such. The room note is tolerable, as this is not really an aromatic of course, but people don't evacuate the room with any urgency! Some say it has a rich leathery pleasant aroma. This is a very enjoyable smoke, a maturity of taste that has a pleasant tobacco hit and burns consistently, without it burning to brightly. I'll definetly buy some more. Oddly, due to the slight tar note, this goes extremely well with a nice cup of tea! :0)

Ps. I nearly forgot to mention - this is the newer blend, not Murrays.

Pipepundit Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipepundit (168)

Balance is indeed the mot juste for describing London Mixture. The sweetness of the virginia, the slight tartness of the orientals and the smokiness of the latakia are in perfect harmony. The latakia has a wine-like undertone which is very fetching.

The Dunhill pamphlets of some forty years ago used to describe the taste as never cloying. That description is as true as the current blurb of never tiring. If fate was to be so cruel as to restrict me to a single blend, I believe I would opt for London Mixture.

IanTimothy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
IanTimothy (8)
Medium Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

Super tobacco ~ I find myself turning to Dunhill branded products more and more ~ London Mixture was purchased as a change from my usual tobacco which is Deluxe Navy Rolls. The tobaccos are miles apart in flavor and yet there is something strangely similar in the way they smoke! LM lights easily and gets off to a gingery/fruity taste, it just gets more complex as you smoke it ~ its a real winner ~ the only problem now, is is it the 'navy' or the 'city'???!!

johnstaf Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
johnstaf (12)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant

I bought my first tin to celebrate the opening of the Olympic Games in London.

This blend is the perfect example of the harmonious balance of flavours that make up the perfect English mixture. While understated and elegant, it has a luxurious streak, like a dry, resinous, grassy incense. This magisterial blend is exactly what I would smoke if I were invited to Buckingham Palace. Of course I'd be thrown in the Tower for smoking, but what a way to go...

AlexL Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
AlexL (26)
Mild Very Mild Medium Pleasant

This is Nightcup gentle twin brother, though less strong and a bit less rich. Its wetness right out of the tin is perfect. The burn is nice, with no tongue bite at all. Leaves the pipe perfectly clean. Not an all-rounder like 965, but pretty good.

Update 9/15/2012: Somehow I lost interest in it. Too boring, will not buy it again, downgrading to 2 stars from 3.

DrCHicks Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DrCHicks (9)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Tolerable

This is one of those smokes that did not impress me either good or bad. It was just a smoke. That is sad I usually find some notable points in a bowl of tabocco, however forf once I have very little to say. I quess the best thin I can say is it did have a mild flavor and no bite. So if your looking for a rather nodiscrpt smioke, at least in my judgement this one would be it.

Taerin Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Taerin (20)
Medium None Detected Full Tolerable

This mixture I bought hoping that I would get a blend superior to the house blend of Scotland Yard I picked up a while ago at some smoke shop, boy was I disapointed, it was not the smoke I had intended to buy. I was expecting a very dark, smokey mixture with no bite and I got a very light one with lots of flavor and burn. This blend is nearly identical to my Plum Cake except it has a very buttery element to the taste that turns me off and it is rather harsh on the mouth (I am pretty sensitive, so you may not have that issue). It definatley is of quality by a very good blender which is why even though personally I would not buy this again I am giving it 3 stars anyway. I am going to smoke all of it, so I do enjoy it; it is just I have tobacco I like more already which recieved full four-star reviews.

Excellent blend, smooth and well balanced. Upon opening the tin you get a strong Latakia scent but this doesn't translate into the smoke as overpowering.The Orientals are the major player with some Va. sweetness. I tried very hard to identify the aroma and flavor and I can only compare it to the scent of freshly split oak logs ? Very interesting and pleasant. I will keep this around with my EMP.

Updated 10/11/12 I think I've identified the tin note and initial flavour, it's an "olive brine" scent. Not real strong or bad, gives a little sweet and sour pucker, like the traditional McC Vinegar topping from McClellands. The Oriental flavour is the main player with the Latakia in distant support.There are other tobaccos with bolder Oriental flavours ,but I do like the easy to pack,lite and smoke ribbon cut. My only negitive is this tobacco gets a little ashy on a cold relite and for me it is a little too spicy. I still want to keep this around as it is an easy "on the go" tobacco and usually doesn't require relites. I've found that when packing, I like to tightly ball the tobacco and stuff in one piece, leaving an open air pocket at the bottom of the bowl. This seems to give a much slower and less ashy burn and improved taste on any relites. Since I like Nightcap and EMP better this is only be 3 stars for me

s-liskey Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
s-liskey (6)
Medium Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

This will be the first of two reviews. This review is for aged Murrays, London Mixture from 1994. The smell of the tobacco before loading is rather unpleasant in my opinion. An almost stale moldy smell, unpleasant but not putrid. If I had stop at that smell I would have never experienced something wonderful. This is a very flavorful yet mild blend. The blend's room note and taste aren't anything like the open tin smell. There is a pleasant faint sweetness in the background of this blend over shadowed by the spiciness. The strength grows as the bowl burns but it is not overpowering and the latakia's add a faint smokey taste to the mix which adds some body to the blend. Overall I give this blend three stars, its mild yet satisfying. I will also post a review on the Orlik version as well and give my opinion as to which one is better.

schlicter Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
schlicter (3)
Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Medium to Full Pleasant

the reviews are failing to distinguish between the different blenders/ manufacturers such as murrays, orlik, etc. that really makes a big difference if you want to compare apples to apples.

Trippwire Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Trippwire (58)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Strong

After the tin had been open for a few weeks ths blend got even better. Very creamy, high nicotine, a bit stinky, but overall very good. I imagine this would go well on a cold night. Oriental is the main player, an overall full satisfying smoke. Non smokers will not be impressed. I will be buying more.

under the arbor Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
under the arbor (12)

"When I was a child I spoke as a ........." Thirty odd years later I've put away childish things [those GD awful drugstore pouches]and find the palate more inclined to the refined. This is this novices favorite at least until the MacBaren Vintage Syrian arrives, then who knows. In the meantime, I'm back at the Savoy watching the tuxedo'd help escort the guests in jeans and sneakers out of the dining room. By all accounts my research indicates I'm missing nothing from [interim] pre-Orlik days but would have loved to have tried the real-Mccoy. Highly recommended.

The Antihero Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The Antihero (8)

One of Dunhill's finest blends and possibly their best English Blend.

On opening the tin there is a nice aroma of Turkish and Latakia that is unmistakable. The Virginias are seen and tasted, but the smell of the Turkish and Latakia nearly cover it up, in my opinion.

Not that it is a bad thing mind you, for in this case the Latakia and Turkish help bring out a warm blend. It smokes well and is very balanced. I keep atleast two tins of this in storage and I recommend it as an ''any time of the year'' type of smoke.

It isn't that amazing, but it is solid and reliable to give that good and even taste every time.

Keep it in a cellar for a year or more and this will turn into a 4 star rated tobacco. If it has no age - make it a 3 star for the time being.

A good and hearty all-round blend.

This is a wonderful blend and my favorite of the Dunhill line. The tobacco comes a tad moist but dries to a nice texture in about 15- 20 minutes. This is a very luxurious and complex blend. All of the components are blended perfectly and it smokes cool and dry. A MUST try for English/ Balkan fans.

piedpiper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
piedpiper (26)

Great medium to full bodied English blend. Having given a stingy 2 stars to a couple of other Orlik produced Dunhill blends (perhaps unfairly comparing them to their 1970s versions), I thought that I would be remiss in not reviewing this great English blend! I'm not sure if I tried this one back in the 70s or not, but in any event, it's a winner today. Very sweet, smoky treat, with what seems to be high quality Turkish & Latakia. I've been smoking fewer English blends these days & this blend is also a little too pricey to be a primary blend for me, but oh what a backup every now & then! Gets 4 stars as it would definitely make for an all day smoke for some & a well done English fill-in for others, including yours truly.

Susanna Hoffs Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Susanna Hoffs (74)

Brilliant stuff.

An orange tan, dark brown, and coffee coloured ribbon cut, that stinks of orientals, latakia and a little sweetness.

I imagine this as a real 1960-1970's evening smoke in an uptown Mayfair or Park Lane gentleman's club.

Level pegging for my favourite Dunhill blend. (Nightcap being the other) A lot smoother than 965 which I find can sting my tongue.

London mixture feels like a real traditional British mixture. I can't wait to smoke this whilst dressed in a black tuxedo with accompanying white scarf strolling through Trafalgar Square and The Strand at 3am on a crystal clear night. Silently reflecting on the earlier entertainment witnessed at the Kings Place jazz club.

Top marks.

who broke my clay pipe? Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
who broke my clay pipe? (45)

DUNHILL LONDON MIXTURE

Tin appearance:Thin ribbons of gold,khaki,tan,brown for the main and some black.

Tin aroma:Musty,smokey old spicy charred fragrent wood/bracken/rosewood/extinguished gorse fire. There is with this also a musky dunhill-esque honeysuckle essence which is a warm fruity and dare i say erotic like pheremone attractant topping,,,;an inhale and exhale makes me go "ahhhh,mmmm"(took me a while to sus this factor;it is an essence i have detected slightly in some other dunhill aromatics actually and on the first sniff of the tin contents when peeling the card lid off,i knew i was re-aquanting myself with familiar dunhill.)

A very smooth easy smoke with well melded and balanced ingredients that produce a uniform combined and consistant taste rather than alternating textures and counterpoint(atleast in my pipe);its not a complicated smoke,but it has quality and says plenty without digression or dialectic(a pleasant monologue).

Not as leathery & peppery as 965 & without 965's contradictory and intrusive 'ice cream soda topping'(why the hell do they put that in there?) London mixture is not an aromatic BTW,,its strength is possibly on par with 'squadron leader' but more english whereas squadron leader is more balkan-esque.

Its not a sooty latakia either and has once it gets going a freshly baked onion bread(turkish),with a toasty toastedness(mild latakia)and a gently sweet hot cross bun/sweetened bread minus the currents(virginia's). Its not industrial tasting ala creosote or diesal sump oil like 965 or old dublim(i prefer old dublin and 965 is a substitute) Think of burn't dried herbs on the outer of a crisp charrred out BBQ sausage(without the meat flavour)

The honeysuckle essense soon disapears down the bowl in taste but its room note may linger(i don't really know because i have only smoked it outside).

I will say that it leaves a slight memory on my clothing(a pipeish honeysuckle factor). It is quite dry in the tin and lights perfectly and instantly like a one match strike TV commercial..

It can burn hot and fast and can do with some puffing restraint on my part(i usually smoke hard to burn plugs and ropes which require a more thermodynamic technique to keep going,,plus i am often too lazy to pre-dry a bowls worth before ignition..

It seems very dirty on my pipe cleaners and the narrow guage clay stem which i used does girgle and clog. I am not sure drying would help this out,i may be better smoking this in a more open and airy briar,but the taste may become milder. (I tried it in a falcon pipe and the filter was quite clean but it was very wet,considering how dry the tobacco is i think humidity in the air condensates after combustion). Tastes better or sharper and clearer in my clay i will say.

Its a medium taste and its tarryness probably contibutes to its smooth creamy richness of smoke texture.

A light toasty spicewood smokeyness,with sweet and sour notes but not saucy or ketchupy in a vinegary way(i say this because i have smoked other blends like erinmore balkan mixture which had a vinegaric saucyness).

Its medium nicoteen satisfies but can leave me wanting more due to my small bowl handicap and the fact that i generally gravitate towards plugs and ropes which have serious nicoteen kick.But is an ok quick smoke when i fancy something quick and stronger than a rollup.

Its personality comes accross as a gentlemans smoke,sophisticated while affable and layed back(even rolling in it p£rhap$) A likeable classy backy that deserves a showy dunhill pipe to enjoy it in as well probably.

No soap and no tongue bite,but with fast puffing you may get dry tongue from the heat(this is my fault i know and due to localisation of the strait nail hole mouthpeice not spreading the smoke along a broader area in my mouth but;i generally like my pipes to hit the sweetspot of my tastebuds on my tobacco evolved and adapted tongue.)

When i am too tired to prepare a rope or plug but fancy something stronger than a rollup,this goes in and gets going quickly without fuss or relights.

Further down the bowl the taste gets dirtier and muddier 'woody smokey' and the initial honeysuckle essence becomes muted and the taste transfigures into a more robust toasty medium english with less sweet glamour;i am not sure i have any right to complain seeing as i smoke some pretty stout other brands,and i feel i should be judging this tobacco based on this factor rather than an essence.

Since opening the tin about a month ago the essence has somewhat faded from the tin and doesn't enter the smoke as much either.If you like the essence you will be advised to smoke this exclusively rather than smoking it between other blends over a longer period.(essence shelf life)

There is an amount of sizzle and crackle when going hard on it like a camp fire sausage and bacon egg fry up.The taste does stay lighter if you sip it BTW i have since tested.

Sweeter on the nose than in the pipe i have noticed but the smoke does have an almost unsweetened natural cavendish note to it and it comes accross as a medium naturally'sweetish' english.

I give it two stars;fact;i prefer my pungeant meaty,dungish ropes in a 6" clay pipe,,but this is an ok dunhill which has delivered exactly how people have described on this thread. I am not really a dunhill man;didn't really like nightcap,965 has an intrusive topping and i am not into aromatics.(light flake was good though)

I generally haven't got time to devote myself to large bowl time slots of indulgence plus i have to smoke outside,,and so i do not have the lounge parlour lizard lifestyle which this blend would comliment..

It is something i will dip into once in a while and i am glad i satisfied my curiosity,but i am not certain i would go out of my way to repurchase or keep any cellared.(i have got load of baccy already opened ,even though this is better than a lot of my stash)

I saw this when out buying some rollup and i had a desire to go back later and purchase a tin and eventually did,,,it was a lucky dip(the name 'london mixture' sounded nicely posh and interesting)

I can see how others have compared this to a james bond 'M' smoke,,;it does have an aristocratic air and it holds court without obnoxiousness. A fine pedigree tobacco.

update 19/10/2011; i have decided that this is better than 965 and so i am upgrading it to 3 stars.

goldfinger63 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
goldfinger63 (13)
Medium Very Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

this is a real gentlemans tobacco,full of character.i find this is much better than my mixture 965 with more sharper flavor,never tiring.i keep this in my rotation.well worth a try if you like english blends.

wolfango Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
wolfango (2)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Strong

Not bad. The problem for older chaps like myself is that we still remember the taste of the original Dunhill tobaccos. This is a medium decent English blend, but it should not bear the same name of the old blend because is not even close to the original and tastes completely different. Nothing of the pleasant aroma was left. Fortunately, there are still some new good English mixtures (better than this) around. But the real Dunhills, like the great Balkan Sobranie, are lost forever.

enudrake Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
enudrake (1)
Strong None Detected Overwhelming Strong

I hate this tobacco. I love Dunhill Mixture 965 and Early Morning Pipe. All I smoke is English blends, but when I smoke this stuff I feel like I am sucking in burnt rubber. No thanks.

SmokeKing David Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SmokeKing David (115)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable

This is my favorite Dunhill blend. While I often prefer blends with more Latakia, the sophistication and balance of this tobacco has won me over.

London Mixture has a smokiness that combines with its tangy-sweet Virginias and Turkish in a complimentary and harmonious way. The revised Orlik blend is quite good although I slightly prefer the predecessor Murray's blend ... but maybe that's just nostalgia! I find myself reaching for London Mix whenever I want a medium English tobac.

Govern Yourself Accordingly!

hockey01 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
hockey01 (28)
Medium Very Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Remember the old James Bond books and films? The man who ran HM Secret Service was a guy known as "M" and he was always smoking a pipe? This is the kind of mixture I would picture "M" smoking, for some reason (I don't know why; I just get these images in my head when I smoke certain blends.)

I'm trying to appreciate the English mixtures a little more. I like this one a bit more than the Standard Mixture Mellow. This one is also spicy but seems more well- rounded and it leaves a full tobacco taste in your mouth. The room note is marvelous, to my sense of smell, although it can be objectionable to non-smokers and you have to be careful where you enjoy it. Clearly this is superior tobacco: stays lit, good volume of smoke, burns to a fine white ash, and the tin aroma smells like a burned out campfire. Wonderful! I give this blend full marks.

Gotta' run..."M" and I are meeting at his club for lunch, all very hush-hush. We'll tuck into a bit of kidney pie and after lunch we may even spark up our pipes with a bit of this wonderful London Mixture. Hail Britannia!

Puff Daddy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Puff Daddy (43)
Medium None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

I've enjoyed the luxury of smoking London Mixture in the original version, the former Orlick iteration, and now the newly reintroduced version. All are exceptional, although since I was able to enjoy more of the Murray's version than any other, I may give the nod to it as the best. I find this more balanced than 965 is, a bit less Latakia, and super quality tin to tin. (Although I like 965 a lot). Super smooth, nice thin ribbons, packs perfectly with the perfect moisture right from the tin. Complex, balanced, medium strength all-day English blend. A perennial home run.

Demetri Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Demetri (100)
Medium None Detected Full Tolerable

After my poor experience with the new 965 it was with some curiosity that I opened this Dunhill blend. Never having tasted it before I could not imagine any disappointment to the degree I had experienced the week before with the 965 - I had no reference to act as a foil. This is a MAN's blend, and a very good one for an English blend lover. It's tin description does not lie: "Medium Cut Matured Virginian and Oriental Tobaccos - Soft and Mellow". Yes, indeed. It should also say well balanced (not one dimensional as the new 965). This is LOADED with stout flavor. Curiously its Latakia is far better than that in 965. It's tin note smells of a classic English too. It is robust in taste and to the heavy side of medium in strength, adequate nicotine but not overdone. A solid everyday smoke, just not an all day blend for me (it numbs my tongue too much!) I am pleased with this one.

Tripjoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tripjoker (65)

The Dunhill blends continue to please me to no end. London Mixture is no exception. I tend to like my latakia balanced in a blend. Don't get me wrong here, I do like latakia very much, but the quality and amount are vital. Most blenders are a little too heavy handed and will use a lower quality than I suspect Dunhill uses. That said, I'm thrilled that the Dunhill blends are readily available again. I was so tired of being disappointed with other blenders attempts at a perfectly balanced English smoke.

London Mixture is a bit of a kissing cousin to Standard Mixture (medium). The main difference is that London tends to be a bit sweeter. Just a bit. The balance of flavor is just a hair more toward the latakia side as well with the orientals rounding it out. The virginias used are matured nicely and I think will mellow well with age, although they do a fine job as they are now.

I have also noticed that the cut of the tobacco in a fine ribbon is key. The flavors tend to dance more. You get that ever changing complexity that English smokers tend to look for. Other blenders tend toward medium to wide ribbons and the flavors are not as sensual. They generally dont dance as much as run relay races with each other. This is the genius of the Dunhill blends. They are ALWAYS balanced.

To be honest, I love the strength of London as well as the other Dunhills. It seems as though all you find these days are light weight blends from most blending houses. I can't figure out if heavier strength smokers are fewer in number or if the surviving blenders and upstarts are just not managing their strength well. Either way, if you like nicotine, you can't go wrong with any Dunhill blend, with perhaps the exception of EMP. But it is designed SPECIFICALLY to be lighter, being a morning smoke.

If you like medium-full English mixtures, you cannot go wrong here. Moisture is perfect out of the tin, packs well, stays lit, and smokes dry to the bottom of the bowl with a satisfying strength and fantastic flavor. Cheers

TheSmokinDragon Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TheSmokinDragon (56)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

Just opened a new tin of LM (first time trying), needs a little dry time out of my tin. I didn't have time for a good 'ol smoke...too late/cold..so packed a quick taste in Sav~Roley...need to give this one a true smoke in a Magnum 1" chamber, but even from the quick smoke I enjoyed it. I got the smokey, sweet and some brine out of it, all within balance not any one of them overpowering the other.

Update: 3/6/2011~ Had some time to really kick-back, frank-method packed a Savinelli Saturnia 111 of LM, WOW...really nice AM pipe for me, nice flavors...will enjoy many a tin of this blend

WillardFan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
WillardFan (68)
Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Tolerable

My wife hates the smell of this one, so it must be really good. Has to be smoked gently to really bring out the subtle tastes in this blend. My tin was perfect, moisture wise, and after a pre-light and a tamp light it smoked easily and cleanly down to the bottom of the bowl. This stuff is like a parfait, in that the different tobaccos keep popping up in various flavors. One minute it's the virginias, then the latakia, then the orientals. I like the variety of tastes in this blend. I never got to try the original Dunhill brand, but this Orlik clone is really tasty. I will definitely keep this one in my rotation...

Dr. Hall Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dr. Hall (15)
Medium Medium Medium Tolerable

Revised: The Virginias are slightly sweet and toasty, the latakia smoky but not overwhelming, and the orientals are slightly spicy and creamy. But it all tastes "cheap" compared to previous incarnations of Dunhill tobaccos. The more I smoke of this tin the more boring and ashy this blend becomes. I guess I have to revise the statement "never tiring" because frankly I'm tired of this blend and won't be purchasing more.

Tee-dub Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tee-dub (48)
Medium Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

The flavor and aroma are of Virginia and Latakia, and the smoke evolves as it warms. There's a spicy tongue-tingle, probably from Latakia. The flavors are, at least initially, mild and sweet, a tad sweeter than Standard Mixture, and with a softer texture.

The tobacco opens up when gently savored at a leisurely pace, and patience will be rewarded with balanced and delicious smoke. Despite the Latakia, I wouldn't call this particularly heavy in body or texture; it's a shade or two heavier than EMP, perhaps a whisker lighter than SMM. It's soft and rounded, smacks a bit of licorice.

I was curious to smoke this in comparison to Pease's Westminster which, according to Pease, was an attempted copy of the old 1970s London Mixture. For my money, Westminster bears only a cousin's resemblance.

Bigdude007 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bigdude007 (3)
Mild to Medium None Detected Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

This was my first foray into smoking a pipe (replacing cigarettes with the more chap-ish pusuit of pipe-ism) so I thought I would try one of the higher rated tobaccos from "Tobaccoreviews.com" and also one that my local tobacconist stocked. I tried this tobacco in a corncob pipe. The initial blast wasn't quite what I had expected, I was expecting a stronger more noticable flavour and more of a nicotine hit. This is a nice smoke with some nice delicate flavours.

jw62 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jw62 (2)
Medium Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

This is the first, reintroduced, Dunhill mixture I've ever tried. I never smoked Dunhill back in the day and have no idea what those Dunhills were once like before they were discontinued. My appreciation for English blends has blossomed after 30 years. I do like this new London Mixture. The latakia does not overpower the other tobaccos. I find it well balanced and tasty. I hope this stuff stays available for sometime to come.

Weber 62 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Weber 62 (4)
Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This used to be a favorite of mine. I have a tin of the new stuff and am excited about trying it. I'm glad it was included in the new Dunhill line-up. So far, I've tried the new Early Morning Pipe and Standard Mild/Mellow. They both seem up to par.

Plunket Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Plunket (39)
Medium Mild Medium Tolerable

I have never smoked this blend before, but thumbs down on this one and a very frustrating thumbs down. I found the Latakia overpowering for a mixture classified as 'oriental'. I know that ,strictly speaking, Latakia is, per-se, an oriental tobacco, but in traditional English blending, its presence or its absence from a blend would usually draw the distinction between it being classified as an oriental as opposed to an English mixture - you just can't be sure any more.

All the aromas were right when I opened the tin, but too much Latakia in the smoke gets my nose going and after the second bowl the tin was destined for the bin. No such problem with the re-launched 965 and EMP, where the blends are altogether more balanced and subtely complimenting.

Virginia lover Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Virginia lover (132)
Medium None Detected Full Tolerable to Strong

Tin made in EU. This is one smooth smoke! The smell in the tin is of fermented tobacco, the Latakia in the background. The flavor is quite spicy and nutty with smoked wood accents. Burns flawlessly off the tin and produces a good amount of smoke. A more sophisticated tobacco than Standard Mixture Medium with a lighter Latakia presence. It reminds me of the Cuaba line of Cuban cigars. The perfect evening or after-dinner Balkan/Latakia mixture.

Claudius Stradivarius Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Claudius Stradivarius (171)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium Tolerable to Strong

Among the top five English mixture that I have smoked.

A truly exceptional mixture. I should have stocked some...I deeply regret not doing so!

Again, this was not an Orlik made tin.

luvinthepipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
luvinthepipe (18)
Medium None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

I found a tin of this in a local shop a few weeks ago. I wanted some other tobacco but since this is perhaps the last tin of Dunhill I'll ever buy, I change my mind and made the purchase. The tin top says 'made in UK' and is painted on. Murrays? the back of the tin said 'made in EU'. I'll trust that one. The tin top and bottom do not match and do not reseal well without making some modifications with a hammer and screwdriver. back to the tobacco...Very nice, spicy, full flavored, little toungue bite. I like this one a lot. I decided to compare it to an opened tin of GP Westminster I had in a mason jar. GP Westminster was better! VERY, VERY VERY similar but had Westminster has more depth of character and flavor. It's sad to see Dunhill go but if other makers like GP are out there making better stuff then we should only miss the nostalgia....and those great tin tops.

Duke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Duke (41)
Medium Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

I seriously began my pipe career in or around 1975, and the tobacconist in town carried most of the Dunhill line. That's what I cut my teeth on and seldom strayed far. In fact I never thought of the internet for pipes until recently. Any how I loved Dunhill's line because of its consistency. Despite change in blenders I don't recall changes in quality. So call me unsophisticated. Despite the varied Dunhill's I smoked I think my only other review here is Light Flake- no need to.

Opened an Orlik tin late last week and it's gone. London Mixture is/was a great English tobacco. Its balance of leaf, flavors and consistent strength are wonderful. Like a lifelong friend, I was always comfortable with it. I know how to handle it, how to light it, how it will finish. I never tired of it. Concentrate or not, smoking it is second nature to me, say familiar. Virginian, Turkish and Latakia, what's not to like in the benchmark? I've begun to look for a replacement and what a chore. Also, the Latakia, too me seems so unique from other blenders, could it be a casing or topping or some proprietary process that I so love? I don't know, but I'll miss it when it's gone.

chuckt808 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
chuckt808 (7)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable

It figures that I would find a tin of this in an unlikely spot, only to find out that a) I really enjoy it, b) it is no longer imported into the US and c) it was their last tin.

The good news is that we may have Dunhill in the states again as soon as Nov. 2009.

I like full English blends but they tend to be too one-dimensional once you get to a certain Latakia content. London Mixture I love because you get the interplay of the sweet Virginias with the spicy Orientals and then just a tiny bit of Latakia in the background. I am very enamored with this blend and hope to be able to get more of it in the future although I find it gets a little cloying when I smoke it too much.

If full English is your thing, this isn't for you.

Burns a little strange, doesn't tend to go to a fine ash, rather it stays as a black clump that needs to be banged out. Heats bowl but smoke is very cool. One light is usually sufficient.

I found it a bit like Durbar, a bit milder, though they are both medium English blends. Not my thing, but like them as a change of pace.

1-2-10 Update: becoming more my thing! I tried going back to the little tobacco shop in Tappahannock where I bought this and my tin of Durbar a year ago, and all the Dunhill was gone. The proprietor spoke of availiability issues-tell me something I don't know. A year ago, he had Durbar, London, Elizabethan, Royal Yacht, and Three Year Matured, but now only a large selection of drug store blends along with a lonely tin or two of MacBaren aromatics. Had some good cigarettes, so I got a pack of Dunhills and a pack of American Spirits which I still indulge in occasionally and headed for home. The day was not lost, however, as I enjoyed back to back 45 minute bowls of London Mixture on the journey and the return, and found it to be a lovely smoke. I like Durbar better, but the London is pretty close. Nice long smoke with no bite. Upon returning, I found an aged tin of C&D Bowlegged Bear in my mailbox. I will sample and review it as soon as my blood nicotine levels get back down to a safe level.

dryfly11 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
dryfly11 (8)

About 10 years ago I smoked LM occasionally. I remember it as an average English mixture. A couple of weeks age I found the last tin (Murray's) in my cellar. What a difference! Did have changed my tastebuds? Is it the result of aging? I don't know, but what I know for sure it's a solid 4 star blend!

An excellent and complex English mixture, nutty, spicy with just the right amount of Latakia. You can compare LM to Presbyterian Mixture, but more spicy, a little bit more nicotine and Latakia. No tongue bite!

Thanks to Murray's for a few most enjoyable hours!

London Mixture: R.I.P.

LtMac Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
LtMac (21)

Dunhill London Mixture is a good English blend pipe tobacco. I have five tins cellared; 2 Murray's production and three Orlick production. To my tastes the two productions are similar enough that I can't tell them apart.

The Virginia leaves a mild sweetness with the Oriental and Latakia tobaccos blending well together. Although My Mixture 965 and Nightcap are my favorite Dunhill blends, London Mixture follows very closely behind.

The flavor is good and the tobaccos produce as good quantity of smoke. The nicotine level is not high, but does make its presence known. To me it smells good in the tin and while smoked. The aroma in the room after smoking a bowl is agreeable to me as well. It smokes cool and if puffed at a reasonable pace does not produce heat or tongue bite. Three stars for Dunhill London Mixture.

Laudante Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Laudante (29)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable

Murray version: Was one of my favorite Englishes, and really suited me well. It was in fact my commonest all-day smoke.

Fake version (after 2004): Not as bad as other devastated Dunhills, but still a lot far away from the previous version.

Why don´t we unite and make a one-year-without-Dunhill protest to make them know we don´t like their manners?

(If you see I stop making reviews from this date on, call the police, please... I make BAT And other obscure forces against good tobacco responsible for whatever happens to me)

BriarChef Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BriarChef (100)

My impression of the current mixture matches my impression from the seventies and eighties versions. A middle-of-the road English whose sole mission seems to be the wallflower at the pipe tobacco dance. A bit wimpy all around, with no qualities that impress or offend.

The Wally Cox of pipe tobacco.

I still smoke it when I don't want to be offended or impressed.

SirShaggy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SirShaggy (28)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

This, I like. It's dry tasting. No creamy feeling in your mouth. I am trying this as my first pipe of the day. I'll update later on that. Tin aroma is much better than the room note. Be forewarned. The Latakia is pretty light to me, I know it's there but it doesn't hit you in the face with it's presance. One bowl of this with the morning paper and my first cup of tea is filling! I do love the taste. Everyone in my house, my neighborhood, ah heck, this town-seems to hate the room note!

Country Gentleman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Country Gentleman (28)
Mild to Medium None Detected Mild Tolerable

Yawn..... another expensive tin of ho-hum smoke. Yeah, it packs ok and burns ok - but thats about it. Tin aroma promises something that it doesn't deliver.

I hear that this was good back in the day. That's nice to know, but it doesn't do much to help this current offering other than explain why some of the reviewers rate it highly.

Smoking this is kinda' like going out with that boring girl you don't really like - not much fun, but at least you're getting laid. Let's just finish the tin and move on.

2 stars because it's not as bad as the tobaccos I rate at 1; but I really can't recommend it.

Doc Jake Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Doc Jake (23)

I found 3 tins of 1980's production and cracked one open, and my God! All I can say is WOW. I love this, I may try smoking the whole tin in two days. What else can be said that has not been said already. Too bad the new production is just a mere shadow of what this blend used to be. Smoking this, I feel the foggy streets of London, and the prestige of stolling while smoking this fine blend.

XDipper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
XDipper (30)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium Tolerable

This is another superstar in my spring/summer combine of non-burley tobaccos (NBTs) This stuff is nearly as easily smoked as an old school burley and is not nearly as high maintenance as a straight virginia or a flake blend. LM is very reminiscent of Squadron Leader but is much fuller and more complex. I like it alot, the latakia is done just right and it has a very exotic spicy, incense kind of smell (and to some degree taste). As others have pointed out the time to smoke this stuff is when you have some time to sit down and really enjoy every nuance. It is a complex spicy and mildly smokey tobacco that leaves a very pleasant film in your mouth after smoking. If nothing else, it has transformed this once burley monogomous smoker into at least a somewhat regular traveler into the world of orientals and English Blends. This, IMHO, is a turned down version of Nightcap. While Nightcap seems to exploit that "right on the edge" extreme reminiscent of Old Joe Krantz and Five Brothers (for the codger burleyphiles). London Mixtures seems to step back from the line and while far from a wimpy blend, it is much smoother and a bit more "all day compatable" than Nightcap. Good Stuff for sure, give it a try.

Steerpike Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Steerpike (60)

Lovely oriental based tobacco, with a generous pinch of latakia and a pinch of virginias to sweeten things up. It has a very rich flavour, which the latakia compliments but does not dominate, the spicey, musky, fermented odours of the orientals are foremost here. It has none of the creaminess of 965, being quite a dry flavour (and a dry smoke too, which is good), and is more oriental flavoured than Standard Mixture. There is a lot of complexity to it, and the flavour does develop throughout the bowl, keeping things interesting. Perhaps it is akin to Red Raparee, although a lot richer.

I wish I'd bought two tins...

Half-bent Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Half-bent (8)

This is an update of my original review. The London Mixture of 5-10 years ago was my mainstay; an old friend comforting and companionable at all times and for many reasons. The new Orlik blend of LM is good, but different. For me, it's lost its magic. I'll be looking elsewhere for a staple blend. Despite what other have said, I'd encourage the lovers of Murray's blending of this to try the Orlik. It's a good blend and it may well work for you, hence the still high 3 star rating. I'll be "cellaring" a tin or two to find out if age will bring it back to its former glory.

Stacey Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Stacey (40)
Extremely Mild None Detected Mild Unnoticeable

I lit this up and it seems like simply a very mild oriental concoction. I can detect a very small amount of latakia and a bit more turkish but this borders on tasteless, with the Orientals coming to the fore mostly. I was wondering what would help this so I mixed in a bit of Skiff and this helped tremendously, so I would say this just needs some more Latakia. It looks like there is Virginia in it, but it must be a really mild batch because I couldn't taste it. Bottom line: A very mild tasting oriental blend.

Mike Castello Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mike Castello (49)
Very Mild None Detected Very Mild Tolerable

When London Mixture was made by Murray it was one of my favorite blends. Now Orlik produces it and my feelings about London Mixture have changed. The blend is a shadow of it's former self and I say this most sadly. There isn't anything objectionable about this new old mixture, it just doesn't have anything special about it. It is very mild and can be smoked all day, but it is difficult to say that there is a memorable taste to it. The orientals are there, but they don't have the taste that I find in McConnell's Oriental or that found in Presbyterian Mixture. The Virginia used is complimentary to the over all effect, but again there isn't anything memorable. The cut and moisture level are fine and the tobacco is easy to fill. It burns without any problem all the way down to the bottom of the bowl. The blend probably does better in a medium to small pipe so that the flavor, what there is of it, won't get lost in too big of a pipe. I will not recommend this blend for aging as I think it will lose more of it's mild flavor. So if you want a serviceable blend that won't cause any objections, meaning it is a safe bet, give it a try. You may find more to like than I do. I will not buy it again for there are other Oriental blends that please much more.

JazzSmoke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JazzSmoke (37)

(Orlick)

The tin aroma is enticing and it looks like beautiful tobacco.

The virginia has an herbal sweetness and the latakia and orientals have a "musky" smell and taste. Yes, it's different from the Murray's but I think the blend is still well worth smoking. The latakia is there but in the background, and so this is blend is very smooth and easy smoking for me. It has the same character as the Murray's version but has a lighter mouth feel. Those musky oriental tobaccos can be found in GLP Pease Westminster, a tobacco based on the original London. Although, I like this better than Westminster and the price is so low that I've stocked up on London Mixture. I'm happy this is still produced.

The classic blends have changed but some of them still offer a great smoking experience, and this is one them.

Selah Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Selah (8)

London Mixture is a misnomer. This is actually a perfect Scottish blend, consisting of medium strength Virginias played off against a generous dollop of Oriental, augmented by Latakia. It veers towards full English, with a Turkish edge. It must be dried out a bit before smoking, and tin-aging it for a while is a very good idea.

Once opened, the tin-aroma is definitely Turkish, with a solid Virginia undercurrent. But if you seldom smoke blends with much Latakia, that is probably one of the first things you will notice. It is a profoundly old-fashioned tobacco.

Less Virginia than Early Morning Pipe, more Oriental, and not at all as brash as 965. London Mixture is a rich and well-balanced blend, both elegant and full. A tobacco that lights easily and a satisfying all-day smoke, especially in cooler weather. The Latakia is not overpowering, and sometimes fades into the background. Burns clean and leaves a soft grey ash. A tweedy smoke. Both the steak and the caramel custard of English blends.

Sherry, oolong tea. Not brandy, not Assam.

This is in my regular rotation, along with Durbar, Westminster, and a few other fine wife-repellants.

Redd Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Redd (112)
Overwhelming None Detected Extremely Mild (Flat) Unnoticeable

UPDATE NOV 15 2012 I just got a Tin and it listed Oriental as one of the leaves used. Now I always thought this was Virginia Turkish Latakia. When you add Orinetal it is then dunhill Standard Mixture. Did anyone run across the same TINS????????? Ed at payless pipes was uselees or didnt really care to answer my question? I use to enjoy this blend

This is one of the best of Dunhill blends. Hard to find today. Orlick version is pretty good as comapred to older mixes. My favorite English smoke. Musky blend with a load of lataka very little bite. Bruns well but gets hot slow smoke is best in a small bowl. A very misky English.

Crimson Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Crimson (1)
Medium Extremely Mild Mild Tolerable

First, let me point out that I am not a big fan of English blends: as a new smoker, I decided to go out and purchase one tin of this stuff, as well as another of GL Pease's Westminster, so I could see what all the fuss was about. Whilst the Pease blend was definitely a pleasant surprise, this London mix was severely disappointing. Firstly, the good notes: if comes in a very nice box, and the room note, for those who like strong tobacco, will probably be rather nice. It was relatively easy to pack, and burnt well. Taste wise however, this was plain pathetic. There just didn't seem to be any flavour at all: I sat there puffing and getting nothing bu t smoke with extremely slight nutty after tones.

Keep in mind I am a beginner smoker, so it is entirely possible others could enjoy this blend more than I did. Personally, I found it extremely disappointing.

Medium to Strong None Detected Full Tolerable

The quintessential English Blend, together with My Mixture 965. This is a tobacco that I would choose if I could smoke only one blend for the rest of my life.

The reasons? Well, it is a perfect mix. Very full, rather strong, but never aggressive: I like strong tastes, but while I love Nightcap, I think that the London Mixture is much more suited for all-day smoking. It never tickles the throat or bites the tongue, regardless of how you smoke it. Just a bit in the nose, maybe, but it's an otherwise well-rounded mixture.

What shocks me is that this doesn't come at the expense of taste: this is one of the tastiest tobaccos I have ever tried. Every mouthful of smoke gives you an almost culinary sense of fullness, as if you were eating some delightful "lasagne". It really makes you crave for more and more, never tiring: I find it perfect as appetizer, or after dinner, or in every other moment of the day. This is a tobacco that simply makes you love the taste of... tobacco! That burnt-wood, exotic taste that I have always been looking for in a tobacco...

I am a guy who loves to try different tobaccos to change tastes, but I feel that London Mixture is a blend that MUST always be present in my collection, because it never grows tiresome. And it should serve as a warning to all "aromatic fans": don't try and go looking for taste in those boring and syrupy cherry-vanilla-fruit tobaccos... There's twice the taste in London Mixture than in ANY aromatic, and it is a TRUE taste, the taste of real tobacco...

I also tend to recommend it to beginners: in my opinion, it is a much better choice than the usual drugstore tobaccos, or than the ultra-classic Early Morning Pipe. I began smoking a pipe with EMP, and I was a bit disappointed. And don't fear that it might me TOO tasty: it never goes over the top, and it is much more straightforward (which doesn't mean it lacks in subtlety) than my other beloved: Nightcap. Nightcap is even fuller and tastier, but it might be TOO spicy and "grand" for someone.

Packs easily, burns well (leaving a dry light grey ash), doesn't require a great smoking technique, tastes great. What else could you want?

A recommendation if you like this tobacco: it is very similar to Dunhill My Mixture 965, but in my opinion it is a bit sweeter and "licorice" tasting. You may want to try both.

Curious note: Many say that this kind of English blend (heavy on Latakia) can be unplesant to wives around you. To my surprise, this is a tobacco that my wife LOVES to smell when I smoke it! She hates aromatics, or "sweet" tobaccos: she prefers the room note of english blends, especially London Mixture! Her sister, too, once asked me if she could try to take a puff out of my pipe when I was smoking this tobacco! She, too, loved the smell of it (and she isn't even a cigarette smoker)! So it seems to be only a matter of taste... It has a strong room note, but someone may like it very much (and my cigarette smoking friends LOVE it).

UPDATES 2004-2007: Like the other Dunhills, also London Mixture has suffered from a noticeable decline in quality... Among all of their blends, it still has remained the only one which is barely smokeable (well, maybe also Standard Mixture Medium is tolerable), though. While recent tins are very disappointing, with some aging they can at least be smoked with some satisfaction. So, the old version deserves a "Highly recommended" rating, while the new one only a "Somewhat recommended". The rating I chose is an average of the two... which is already better than Nightcap, a blend which has fallen into real disgrace: it used to be great, now it definitely sucks.

2011 UPDATE: Trying a recent production tin... the latest Orlik incarnation. Well, quite an ordinary modern medium EM. Smooth, easily smokable, pleasant, good tasting, but a little bit flat, monochromatic, unexciting and lacking the trademark Dunhill character and quirkiness of old, those funky complex leathery aromas.... Not offensive, though... and that's already an improvement compared to previous "modern" incarnations! There is better stuff around, but this isn't a bad blend. Rating for this version is "Recommended". Now I am curious to try the other new "Dunhill" blends to see if they too have improved compared to the awful stuff of the past 5-6 years.

Tobacco Saves Lives Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tobacco Saves Lives (31)

Similar to many Dunhills. Quality, But I prefer Nightcap or Early Morning Pipe. If you like those , you will love this, or if you want something you can smoke more regularly than Nightcap.

Thatcher Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Thatcher (58)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant

Of the half dozen or so Dunhill English blends I have tried, this one is by far my favorite. Many people seem to use 965 as a benchmark for English blends, but London Mix strikes me as the most quintessentially English blend of the Dunhill lineup. Like all Dunhill blends, it is strong in the nicotine department. But it is a wonderfully-balanced English blend and highly enjoyable. Only the nicotine kick keeps it from being a regular in my rotation.

flaminbill' Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
flaminbill' (57)
Medium Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

I don't know who manufactured this tin, and I guess I don't really care since I have no frame of reference. I have had the tin for a couple of years that I purchased while on vacation at Oxford.

I used this to break in a Butz Choquin and it was simply wonderful. I tried it in a couple of other pipes, including a clean Meerschaum, with the same results.

I like the balance of this tobacco. I find it most enjoyable with a pint of Guiness and a shot of Jameson Irish whiskey late in the evening before retiring.

I only have five tins left, so I am hoping that the G.L. Pease Westminster offering is comprable since I sense that this tobacco will be unavailable in the future.

dtboomer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
dtboomer (6)
Very Mild None Detected Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Very mild english blend. The tag above says that it has Latakia, but I don't taste any. Very mild, a little milder than EMP, burns cooler and complete. Good aftertaste.

It was not bad, but nothing very special about this blend.

Fumatore Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Fumatore (48)

I sincerely wish I had written a review of this tobacco pre 2005. It would have been a solid 4 stars, as well as just about everything in the Dunhill line. What a darn shame.

tacoeatingzebra Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tacoeatingzebra (36)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant

After having had several tins of London Mixture I find myself hoping against hope that Dunhill doesn't cancel the manufacture of this one.

Despite what is said by many about it, London Mixture,to me,is pretty mild. It tastes like an infinitely more interesting version of Early Morning Pipe. There's not neary as much latakia as I'd expected, which I may have complained about at one time, but through LM & Presbyterian Mixture, as well as a number of Greg Pease's blends, I have learned to appreciate non-latakia oriental tobaccos.

This is slowly becoming--along with Nightcap--a big favorite of the Dunhill blends. If/When it is discontinued, and you see a blue Hyundai hatchback barreling down the road, it's me rushing to the tobacconist to purchase the final tins.

Howlin' Wolf Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Howlin' Wolf (10)
Medium None Detected Mild Tolerable

It's burning very hot and bites. Flavor's nothing to write home about. A big disappointment since it smells great in the tin - From the scent I was expecting more Oriental overtones.

Hoping I develop at least enough of a taste for it to finish the tin, but I don't see another tin in my future. I think a slower smoker than I would find it less intractable.

ascii256 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ascii256 (1)
Medium Mild to Medium Very Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This is the definitive English tobacco. Bite free Virginia with flavorful orientals and just enough Latakia to balance the blend but not overpower it. This blend does have a very "Muddy" taste to it - one that I like but that may turn many off.

There seems to be a lot of variation from tin to tin. I have even purchased "multi-packs" where one tin was shades lighter than another. Like most tobacco, London Mix is a bit too moist when opened. A few hours open on a desk remedies this nicely.

Most importantly this blend seems to have not changed one bit with the transfer from Murry to Orlik.

Of all the current Dunhill blends this is the one I find most satisfying; just good tobacco flavor fresh out of the can. The VA and Orientals are in the forefront and the Latakia is somewhat subdued but still present. Good quality, I'll be keeping this on the shelf. 7 out of 10 stars.

zulujerk Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
zulujerk (134)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Tolerable

I've been holding off on this one for a while. It's hard to imagine needing another English mixture after Nightcap, or 965, for that matter. So most chances I've had to pick this up, I've passed upon. I finally managed to secure a tin, however, for lack of choice and I'm ecstatic to find another English that I can smoke every day, all day, if I feel so inclined.

Many other reviews for London Mixture mention that this is a "well balanced" English, and that's a reliable description--almost the epitome of the very blend. It is beautiful in the tin, easy to pack and light, burns consistently, while tasty as can be with a strong component flavor and strength. London Mixture offers nearly something for everyone who enjoys a robust English. Those offended by Nightcap's strength to others, weary with the inclusion of Cavendish in 965 might find themselves well at home smoking London Mixture.

I find it amazing that Dunhill can manage to cover so much different ground in an English. At some point, you come to a suspicion that there remains little left to be said. I know it may be odd, but I compare it almost to music. When I was younger, I'd always wonder how these musicians managed to keep coming up with new songs. I suppose that says something of my feeling here.

The strength doesn't seem to kick in for me until two thirds into the bowl. At that magical mark, the flavors meld flawlessly, with the sweetness of a Virginia and the dryness of the Turkish leaf, balanced with a considerable portion of rich Latakia. I tend to find myself anxiously awaiting that latter portion of the bowl, simply to take in that extra dose of nicotine. Nearing an end to the experience, I feel a definite urge to smoke another, which is something I rarely crave.

I've tried London Mixture in a variety of pipes, but a mid sized bowl seems to work best for me. A larger bowl feels overwhelmingly taxing, and a smaller bowl fails to deliver the surge of flavor I've come to expect near the end. I'll definitely be picking up some more London Mixture. High quality stuff, all the way.

Philo Beddoe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Philo Beddoe (140)

Outstanding! This is a perfect middleground between straight Virginia and full bodied English blends. I will keep a tin of the ambrosia in my cabinet on a permanent basis. I rarely find myself head over heels for a tobacco this fast, very highly recommended.

Wolfpaw Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Wolfpaw (37)

I consider Dunhill's London Mixture to be the ideal "middle-of-the-road" English mixture. It's flavorful and satisfying, strong but not overwhelming, complex but not daunting. The tin aroma is pleasantly smoky, reminiscent of wood smoke and autumn leaves. The ribbon-cut strands pack and light easily. There's a nice balance between the Turkish and Virginia tobaccos, and the Latakia comes through loud and clear without overriding the other flavors. It's simply a well-balanced, traditional English mixture. The room note is strong, but it seems to be inoffensive to most people but the most ardent tobacco-haters; I've even had non-smokers comment on its pleasant smell, which rarely happens with the English mixtures I favor. I almost always have a tin of London Mixture on hand; it can always be relied upon for a satisfying pipe.

Guyrox Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Guyrox (131)

I keep good souvenirs about London Blend. Deliciously, very high quality tobacco, well-balanced and satisfying moment of smoking.

The tobacco is just great, a bit mild, like EMP, but it does the job for sure when you want a satisfying tobacco that tastes like tobacco. Very comparable to Solani's 779 Luxury English, but in less sweet in taste.

Recommended!

Wriggles Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Wriggles (44)
Strong None Detected Medium to Full Strong

Recently, I purchased a number of never tried blends in a tobacco shop while visiting a nearby city. Not being accustomed to English blends, London Mixture had an odd flavor, and was much stronger than my usual burley or Virginias. However, I found the flavor pleasant, even though strong. No harshness to this blend, either.

In a nutshell, a strong, nicotine heavy smoke. I'll smoke it once in a while. I think smoking too much of LM could be injurious to one's health.

Maimonides Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Maimonides (70)
Medium Very Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

A mid range English. Not too strong, Not too weak, Very typical of 'Standard' English style, If you love an English Blend, EMP isnt strong enough for you and Nightcap too strong- This may be your cup of tea.

bilbohooker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bilbohooker (12)
Medium Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I have smoked this as my regular English for awhile. Very good middle of the road Latakia blend. However, I'm starting to get tired of latakia, so, when I finish my last two tins I think I'm going to switch to stan mix mild. Anyway, if you want a good, medium strength English blend, you can't go wrong with LM.

D'Jullius Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
D'Jullius (19)

Dunhills London Mix is a nice quality English that reminds me of a smokey version of EMP.

gnossos Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
gnossos (39)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Tolerable

Dunhills pretty consistantly get 3 stars from me, but this might be more like a three and a half, whereas 965 is more of a 2 and 3/4... I think maybe if I didn't know of other English blends I liked better that are similar (namely Peretti's British Blend) this would probably get a 4.

Out of 965 and Early Morning I like this the best. There's no bite at all, but the flavor is strong enough to be noticed.

I really want to get a tin of Nightcap for myself, however, as that one really stood out, the few bowls I had. Until whatever that may bring, this is my favorite Dunhill. I don't know how much of a difference this made, but I did have this sitting around in the unopened tin for a couple months.

zionhead1 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
zionhead1 (26)
Medium Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

The tin is Latakia at the front, the body is A-typical of a standard english. This is the basic english personified. I really got bored with it but recommend as an all day english smoke. Dare I say this a "blue collar' smoke - if dunhill could be called that. Maybe a full Birmingham factory worker smoke. I passed on this as too basic for me, but all in all a very good quality.

Ducksbreath Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ducksbreath (81)
Medium Medium to Strong Medium Strong

....update. Latest rating reflects the late production Murray's. Sorry to say goodbye to this.

Dunhill English blends are different from most others that I've managed to find. More pungent, more astringent, edgier, more kick. Especially London Mixture, a bracing, middle of the road English, not a Balkan or a Scottish. I prefer to think of it as EMP Full .

So this is what I reach for in an English, when I'm not into some heady burley, and it makes a perfect contrast.

LM seems to capture the entire range, in a very formal way. From the top zingy VAs down to the darkest Latakia, and a pervading nuttiness.

LM can be fickle, however, depending on the pipe, moisture content, perhaps the phase of the moon. So it is sometimes a little harsh or bitter, for reasons I've yet to pin down. Std Mixture Medium doesn't have the same intensity , 965 is fuller but more muted and darker. Nightcap is another animal entirely, extremely dark, Apertiff and Durbar are pure Balkans, EMP is too light, etc., etc., etc. Obviously, there's something for everyone in the Dunhill range.

Black Seamus Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Black Seamus (56)

Another winner from Dunhill. I enjoy tobaccos with a heavy Latakia content and a bold taste (GL Pease's "Odyssey" and C&D "Star of the East" for example). LM is a great companion that can be smoked throughout the day when I want something a little quieter. The nicotine content is pleasant and the interplay of the tangy Virginia tobaccos along with the Turkish and Latakia insure that this blend never becomes boring. If you enjoy Dunhill's "My Mixture 965" or Lane's "Crown Achievement," you'll enjoy this one. The perfect English/Balkan.

01/31/05 I am updating my review of this wonderful tobacco owing to the fact that I have had the opportunity to age a few tins. While the tobacco is a great choice at any time, aging brings forth a deeper sweetness and greater prominence of the interplay between the Turkish and Latakia elements. The effect overall is a richer, earthier flavor with what I can only describe as a more sophisticated pungency. Turkish/Oriental tobaccos are an acquired taste, due to the astringency they can add to a blend. Once the taste is acquired, "London Mixture" fits it admirably. Smoking this blend slowly brings great rewards.

If you're a seasoned English smoker and haven't tried this blend, you'll do yourself a great favor by trying this one. If you've never had this blend with at least a year of age on it, buy some to put away.

10/05/05 I'm updating once again because I have now received my first tin of Orlik-blended London Mixture. It has the ridge around the bottom and the "made in EU" sticker.

What will these new people have done to my darling? I opened the tin with some trepidation. At the same time, I opened a tin of Murray-blended LM that I got two months ago. (I wanted the Murray-blended stuff to be as fresh as possible to ensure a side-by-side review.)

The tin smell of LM is one of my favorite aromas in the world, not just a favorite tobacco smell. The Murray tin smells delicious and familiar. The Orlik tin smells...the SAME! As per usual, my mouth begins to water. (No other tobac has this affect on me.)

The pasteboard round covering the tobacco doesn't have a finger notch cut out like the Murrays blend does.

The Orlik tin's contents appears to contain more lighter-colored leaf than the Murrays tin. The mosture content appears to be the same in both tins.

I load my LM-dedicated Aldo Velani Oom-paul with the standard child/woman/man packing. And the flame hits the weed.

The first taste is a little lighter than I expect, and I tamp and re-light. The gentle introduction continues.

First third: As I suspected, the lighter-colored leaf in the Orlik tin shows itself in the smoking to be Turkish rather than Virginia, astringent and pungent while remaining fairly quiet. (This is one of the things that I find so pleasant about this blend.) The Latakia weaves its way through the smoke, complementing the Turkish and never overtaking it. The Virgina stays in the background, hitting a tangy high note here and there.

Second third: The Virginia becomes more prominent at the half-way mark, and the Latakia receds to provide a leathery undertone. The Turkish leaf remains the star of the show, now providing a subtle sweetness that plays well with the more tangy sweetness of the Virginia. The overall effect continues to be quiet and refined.

Final third: The final third brings the same interplay of the three players that mid-bowl brought, with the sweetness becoming more pronounced and the tanginess attenuating. The Latakia remains in the background, providing an even, smoky foundation.

All in all, I think that Orlik has done a splendid job of maintaining the character of this time-honored blend. It may still be called the standard of English tobaccos. Long-time smokeres of this blend will not be disappointed. As ever, then, highly reccommended.

Medium Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable

This is one of the first well known English blends I tried. A very fine English. If the London Mixture was the only English available, you would likely be very pleased with it. And it is usually a really good value. (10/03/2004)

Update: A good choice for those who smoke fewer pipes per day. Way too much Latakia for an all-day blend for me. It is an excellent tobacco for those who prefer a bold mixture. I haven't sampled the E.U. version yet.

Jakob Kiilerich Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jakob Kiilerich (118)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Tolerable to Strong

A true classic in all aspects. Lighter than Nightcap and without périque and heavy in the oriental/turkish department.

LM is pungent with a small amount of heavy-smoked Latakia. Red and light VA together with the oriental compliment the Latakia well. Very balanced, but not as smooth as Black Mallory - probably because this one does not contain Cavendish.

Compared to other Dunhill Mixtures, this is much more refined than Nightcap and 956. Some say that this blend is the one all other English blends should be compared to (read Eulenburg's fantastic review). I say he/they are absolutely right. I just cannot seem to get enough of this masterpiece Thoroughly recommended.

Jakob Kiilerch, Denmark

DrDNA Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DrDNA (58)

Notes: The blend has changed a lot over the years, becoming milder, less well integrated, less refined; however, the essential components remain, so do not despair. I have smoked several tins of this blend, of varying vintage, most from the 1980's. Newer tins still have the promise of aging well, in my opinion. It seems most at home in a large Billiard or the briar family.

Appearance: The lion's share is black leaf, with the remainder being dark to lighter brown leaf comprising a medium cut ribbon, fully rubbed out.

Aroma: Licorice Drop, Fig, Cow Manure, Allspice, Nutmeg, Corriander, Smoke, Charcoal, Dark chocolate, Oil, Vinegar-vanilla emulsion.

Taste: The sweet-sour taste of perique is like a ghost in the background of flavor. Very soft, smooth, silky, oily, mellow. The mouth-feel is redolent of the famed Sobranie blends, even if the flavor profile is not. Smoke, vinegar, char-cooked pork chops, rosemary, damp earth, allspice, clove, dried fig. Rich and complex, voluptuous on the palate. Dunhill's strength is the intergration of complex flavors, rather that the dominance of flavor, and this is no exception to this rule.

Comparisons: More oriental leaf than Duhnill's Standard Mixture Medium. Less perique than Dunhill's Nightcap, Similar to Dunhill's My Mixture No. 965 sans the cavendished leaf.

Bottom Line: For a rich, full English blend -- the very essence of refined dignity -- with more oriental complexity than latakia-perique overdrive, this blend will be hard to best.

smoker390 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
smoker390 (36)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Tolerable

Here's my 2 cents: love it, return to it with regularity. I'm a big 965 fan, but still have room for this in the regular rotation. Similar to Standard Mixture Medium, but with a better spice from the proportions of Oriental / Latakia mix. This is a classic English blend that should be smoked by lovers of VA/Oriental/Latakia blends.

UncleGar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
UncleGar (109)

I've recently sampled many of Dunhill's offerings and most have bored or disappointed me; I think their time has past. Many other blenders have bested them and it's a shame in a way. LM is a quality product that still remains as good as I remember it and I hope it doesn't join the rest in the grand old brand's decline.

LM is probably better described as a balkan, owing to the prominance of the wonderful turkish leaf in it. It is a sturdy, full no-nonsense smoke that offers no particularly memorable "hook", but makes for a relatively inexpensive all day companion. This blend, like 965, is the Sears and Roebuck of its type. It's a reliable (so far) point of reference.

I like the room note, although many find it off-putting. The level of nicotine is typically Dunhill: quite there. Little wonder English pipe bowls tend to be smaller. British folks are frugal like that, to their credit. A group 2 or 3 size pipe supplies a satisfying smoke when filled with this, and a tin lasts longer.

LM is midway between the latakia-richer Penzance and the Turkish-richer Campanile. Usually I crave either one or the other, so those are what I tend to grab (and it's usually Penzance). If a nicely balanced combination between the two is what you seek, London Mixture is what I'd recommend.

Similar Blends: Pease Gaslight.

cruelraoul Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
cruelraoul (24)
Strong None Detected Full Tolerable to Strong

Beautiful in the tin, the tobacco is definitely good qualiity. The pungency, saltiness of Turkish is very present in this blend, though it does maintain good balance with the latakia and virginia. It doesn't please my spouse at all when I fire this blend in the bowl. It is a nice change of pace, but that it all that it will serve in my rotation. I suspect that Turkish lovers would particularly enjoy this blend.

RickPiatt Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
RickPiatt (16)
Medium None Detected Very Full Pleasant to Tolerable

A Short review for a change ... this is my go-to tobacco when it comes to english blends. Nothing finer IMHO. Early Morning Smoke was too bland, Nightcap was overwhelmingly heavy. This tobacco is as good as it gets.

Semois Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Semois (18)
Strong Extremely Mild Full Tolerable

LM is a well balanced and rich tobacco. It is never boring and it evolves from the first puff to the last (even getting better towards the end). Tase of soap, liquorice, oriental sweet. No doubt this is tobacco made by connoisseurs. I would give it the highest rating, if it wasn't that Latakia-blends are not my top-favorite choice as all day smoke. Latakia is ok for me ... from time to time ....

Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

Nice....a little stronger than EMP...still some tongue bite. A fine English, though I must sound like a broken record, NightCap offers the strength, smoothness, and complexity that my palate longs for.

lustra Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
lustra (170)
Medium None Detected Medium Tolerable to Strong

Dunhill London Mixture has become one of my standard "reference" tobaccos (a tobacco to which I compare others of the same type) and it is a tobacco I always keep on hand. It smokes cooly, has a wonderful flavor, and burns well to a fine, white ash. It has a delicious, nutty, slightly sweet taste. It if were just a bit sweeter, it would be the grail of English tobaccos for me. As it is, it is very good. This is a tobacco I can smoke anytime, doing anything, and have it smoke well without worries about technique. Like most Dunhills, you don't want to smoke this on an empty stomach, but otherwise, it's just terrific stuff.

Update 3-10-04. I regret to say that more recently I have found this blend to be quite harsh, nearly like a bad burley on the throat. Way too bad... Rating downgraded accordingly.

FiveRings Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
FiveRings (21)

While London mix has quality components the whole sum is not IMO on the same level. Its taste is on the heavier side, without added complexity or unique nuances. While I visit from time to time, my opinion has not changed.

emmbee Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
emmbee (174)

Another standard in the Dunhill line, London Mixture is a fine, palatable blend that provides more dimension than 965, while it is less spicy than my much-favored Aperitif. The tin aroma is wet grass. Initially, at least, it?s not as inviting as Elizabethan nor as nutty as 965. If you?re not used to English blends, this can offend on the first try. Far from the nose, the aroma is almost medicinal, like Listerine.

This is the usual ribbon cut, well pressed, soaked in its juices packing of Dunhill. The strands pull nicely from the tin and pack easily into the bowl. The speckled blacks, browns and yellows are witness to the manufacturer?s usual attention to detail. Though not as bright as Aperitif or Elizabethan, all of Dunhill?s mixtures are appealing to the eye.

I enjoy this more than Nightcap, at least when newly opened and moist. Nightcap requires at least a week to dry before getting the slightest enjoyment from it. London is soft, mellow and lightly flavored. It never sears the tongue. It?s easy to smoke, and has a subtle aroma of pepper and wood, accented by piquant notes of Oriental and Latakia humming softly in the background. It?s not as full of tar and nicotine as some of their other blends. There?s no Perique to make me whoozy.

This tobacco behaves well over all, and is more of a go to blend than the overrated 965 or the Nightcap. I don?t believe I would make this my desert island smoke, but perhaps like so many other things, the recipe has changed over the years. Also, the unpleasant thought of troops of east Indian soldiers forced to march in the Queen?s military doesn?t exactly come to mind when smoking LM. Then again, I guess some reviewers find it necessary to regale us with literary and historical trivia to make something as simple and enjoyable as pipe smoking more than it is, in addition to puffing up their own already over-inflated egos. Put that in your pipe and smoke it!

Three and a half of five stars

DevilDog Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DevilDog (5)
Medium None Detected Full Pleasant

London Mixture is a great middle of the road all-day English blend that is one of my favorites--cool smoking, full-bodied, and very mellow. I've found that cracking the tin and letting it dry out for a day or so will bring out more of the flavor, as LM's moisture content in the tin is sometimes just a little too high. London Mixture is similar to Standard Mixture Medium, Durbar, and My Mixture 965, but smoother overall. There's a tasty latakia presence from light-up to finish, but it's never overwhelming. In terms of body/blend strength, it's slightly to the right of Standard Mixture Medium but not as strong as Durbar or My Mixture 965. Room note is very pleasant for a non-aromatic latakia blend. This is a tobacco that's full but never bites. In addition, London Mixture tastes the same in every size and shape of pipe, whether briar or meerschaum. A highly recommended classic.

poupehan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
poupehan (23)
Medium None Detected Medium Tolerable to Strong

At one stage this was my desert island tobacco. As far as Englishes go this one is good in every occasion, summer, winter, morning, evening. I find it closer to standard mixture medium than to 965 ? due to the Turkish component? Like all Dunhills I tried, excellent presentation, perfect burning qualities, no tongue bite no matter how hard I puff it, and satisfactory medium strength. Nice.

Winter pipe fan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Winter pipe fan (11)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Strong

I enjoy London Mixture a lot. It is probably one of the more socially favorable of the Dunhill tins, along with 965. It starts out very mellow, stays lit, burns cool and dry and slowly builds strength down into the bowl. It has one of the more fragrant aromas when it comes to room note, although strong for many. I wouldn't hesitate to bring a pouch of London Mix when I'm in a Dunhill mood, out on the town. As with all of the Dunhill tins, I recommend "sipping" this tobacco - puffing very slowly to savor the flavor. I've found that when smoked too hard and fast, even London Mix can build greatly in strength and be a bit overwhelming. All that said, a tin of London Mix will always be readily available in my rotation, along with 965 and Durbar.

Ivanhoe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ivanhoe (35)

I resisted trying London Mixture for a long time because I did not like Standard Mixture Medium at all. I found it to be monotonous and disliked the furry, smoky coating it left in my mouth for hours after I smoked a bowl of it. SMM made me disinclined to try the other Dunhill latakia blends until a couple months ago.

London Mixture seems more spicy and less muddy than Std Mix Med and leaves a pleasant aftertaste in my mouth. Having the tobacco at the proper humidity is very important with this one, as other reviewers have noted. Out of the tin, I normally dry some in the open air for a couple of hours before smoking it. I then find it to burn cool and dry for the entire pipeful.

This is a treat, with a clean spicy taste on a smoky latakia background. It has become a regular in my rotation and I recommend it to anyone who likes English latakia blends. Could have a little too much punch for beginners, though.

Tiger Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tiger (53)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild Tolerable

Dunhill's London Mixture, though made of quality tobaccos and being quite smoothly blended, came across to me as simply too mild-tasting. At my house it was pitted against Standard Mixture Medium and never really had a chance. Sort of like racing a Clydesdale against Secretariat - just no contest. Obviously LM pleases plenty of pipers and thus it probably deserves 3 stars.

Tiger

Esoxhunter Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Esoxhunter (60)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

I preface this review with the observation that of the nine heavy hitters who have reviewed this blend--lustra, Beer, Noorrmm, pipestud, Eulenburg, Tantric, Briarabbit, RCUSElder, and Pounder 5000--six have rated it four stars and two have given it three stars. That's quite an endorsement.

Humbly, therefore, I must chime in with only three stars. London Mixture to me is a quintessential Dunhill blend--quality, quality, quality in every category from blend, to smoking characteristics, to flavor. But, also like all of the Dunhill blends I have tried, it simply is not quite so multifaceted and interesting to me as some of the Pease and Esoterica English blends.

There's no accounting for taste, I guess . . .

OSR Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
OSR (73)
Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable

This tobacco has been reviewed by many.

First, if there is any latakia in this blend then it's just a wee smidgen.

Pull a load out of the tin, lay it on a tray/plate and let it dry. Then rub or pull the tobacco into small pieces and load up the pipe.

The Oriental components of this tobacco and the fine virginias are what makes this blend different. I'll not argue that there is NO latakia in this blend but to my taste buds, there's none.

The smoke here is smooth, round, a bit on the medium side (it's not strong at all) and quite tasty. In the Dunhill line, there is nothing quite like this blend.

In the realm of Virginia/Oriental blends I much prefer Presbyterian Mixture as a satisfying and full blend. To my taste buds, this is a very nice blend and while better than most Dunhill mixtures (especially 965 - waaaaay over-rated) it is surpassed in it's genre by Presbyterian Mixture.

A very fine virginia/oriental blend, just not great. On a one to ten scale I'd give London Mixture an 8 and Presbyterian Mixture a 10. This is a very, very good blend but it ain't excellent.

Willy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Willy (75)

As the lyric goes in a song by The Who, "there's nothing more needs to be said". Another fine English blend worthy of being added to most pipers collections. Some may not care for the Turkish component, but I feel that, like others have said, all the players in this blend get along quite well together. Just good harmony, yes, harmony. Works for me.

Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Tolerable

Revised: 07-22-04 This is the English standard by which to judge all others IMO. I recently acquired a tin from the early 1980's and let me tell you, it is so good! Even when a new tin is purchased, it is good, but the ageing mellows it out in both spiciness and nicotine content. The only drawback that I have with this blend is the nicotine is still a little too high for me, even when aged. I have learned to eat a full meal and then sip this blend and let the pipe go out and relight several times in order to fully enjoy without the "nic kick". So, buy a bunch of tins, date them, store in the cellar, and return to this blend from time to time and enjoy.

Rating: 4.75 out of 5 points, a blend ole' Chatles Spurgeon would have enjoyed...

Rodricus Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Rodricus (22)
Strong None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

Dunhill´s english blends have very good quality, and it is shown in this firm blend. London Mixture is a straight oriental mixture, a well-balanced mixture of latakia and turkish leafs all over a bed of virginia tobacco. I have two major comments: Number one, this blend, good as it is, is a little too dull for me. I hope to make myself clear; I think this is good tobacco and well mixed, but its somewhat flat for me. Number two, I am a HUGE 965 fan, there for almost all Dunhill´s blends (with the exception of the superb Aperitiff, which stands on its own) are less appreciated by me.

Carlos Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Carlos (18)
Medium None Detected Very Full Tolerable

My first tobacco with Latakia - very good, it's worth trying. Smoke is quiet cool, smoking is easy.

Chessnut Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Chessnut (13)
Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I really enjoyed this blend,as I do many of the Dunhill blends. The latakia is very noticeable but now overpowering. It has a nice slightly sweet taste. If you enjoy "My Mixture" I think you will enjoy this one as well if nothing as as a nice change of pace smoke. I reccomend this blend.

Benjamin Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Benjamin (22)
Medium to Strong Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

Though I once swore that such a thing was impossible, I am presently developing a fondness for blends that include latakia. G. L. Pease's Mephisto, por ejemplo, or Frog Morton on the Bayou.

London Mixture is infinitely superior to the base and unrefined My Mixture 965, the sledgehammer subtlety of which leaves my thus-abused taste buds reeling.

The latakia in this blend is prominent at the beginning of the bowl. However, as the bowl progresses, the latakia drifts into the background. The resulting flavour is an odd meld of tastes of different leaf.

Rather enjoyable, this tobacco, but in an altogether odd sort of way. I'll keep some on hand.

MrEnglish Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
MrEnglish (1)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium to Full Tolerable

I've been told I am a man of basic tastes; black coffee, meat and potatoes, etc. So, for me, LM is a perfect blend. Just a basic English, but very full in flavor, and satisfying, without the knock-around strength of it's cousin 965. Though it can develop a bite if smoked too hot or too fast, I find its flavor and feel to be wonderful through the whole bowl when smoked properly. The strands are a bit long (I've taken to cutting them prior to packing), and it does usually require a few more relights than I would like, a great blend for someone who likes pure tobacco, without the filler or perfume of some other blends

Lukaszek Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Lukaszek (1)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Tolerable

As everybody noticed typical English mixture. Very nice. Latakia is less noticed for me than in My mixture or Early Morning Pipe.

BriarNorth Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BriarNorth (49)

An excellent smoking mixture that exemplifies to my mind what is meant by the catch-all "English blend." London Mixture is a perfectly balanced blend, with lovely and mellow Virginias while the Turkish and latakia are in perfect proportion to make this tobacco interesting without being overbearing in any one aspect. I can see how many English lovers could make this an all-day smoke as it is a well-behaved weed overall and will not tire the palate. While my preference is for 965, this smoked well enough to satisfy me time and again, and I'm sure a tin with some age would be amazing. I found the ribbon cut to be a bit stringy, so packing required a bit more attention than I am used to. Also, I prefer slightly drier weed than what comes in many a tin, and some airing out improved the smoking of this blend for me. I recommend it without hesitation.

dangpipes Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
dangpipes (22)

This is the first Dunhill blend to cause me to pause. It has all of the necessary elements for a fine English Blend and it smokes fairly cool.

But it came across as a bit too thick or heavy. Normally I would expect this to translate as a richness or body, but found myself put off but the general texture of the smoke.

All in all, I enjoyed it but will have to put it aside and come back again.

Grundie Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Grundie (26)
Medium Mild Full Pleasant

I find it hard to classify Dunhill tobaccos, espeically the Latakia heavy ones. They are all so similar, but each is different in a subtle way. London Mixture for me sits in between Early Morning Pipe and 965.

It not a sweet as 965, yet packs a stronger oriental hit than EMP and it of course very tasty. I could best sum it up as a very reliable ad tasty Latakia blend. Its a perfect relaxation blend, one for filling a big pipe with and relaxing for an hour or two.

BriarLaw Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BriarLaw (85)

I will start by admitting that I compare all English tobaccos to Dunhill 965 which I think is the best there is. With that said, I think London Mix. is reasonably good but nothing to get too excited about.

As with most Dunhill tobaccos, it is well packaged, well mixed, nicely cut for ease in packing and lighting, and consists of high quality leaf. It is a nice blend of Turkish and Virginia with a bit of Latakia. No one tobacco overpowers the others, although I think the Turkish is most pronounced. It burns to a clean ash and has a nice natural English tobacco flavor.

I just think this tobacco is too "basic" for me. It is certainly a good example of an English/Latakia blend, but there are quite a few of those out there. I want something special in my tobacco before I can give it an "A" grade. 965 gets an "A" due to the addition of Brown Cavendish. Penzance gets an "A" due to its rich smokey qualities. London Mix. gets a solid "B".

Jaybee Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jaybee (76)
Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Medium to Full Tolerable

This one is a bit confusing for me. I waver between thinking it is great one minute, to not knowing the next. The initial light is a bit harsh and this seems to remain until about half way throught the bowl. Now it smoothes out and I can taste the complexity of the blend. Toward the bottom it is very full but not offensive. All-in-all it is a good English, but I have tasted better>

mailman 5000 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mailman 5000 (60)
Strong None Detected Full Tolerable

This blend is cut a bit on the fine side for me and as a result seemed a bit harsh. As a big fan of english blends this was a big disapointment. 20 years in the tin might smooth it enough for me.

Flatcap Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Flatcap (7)
Strong Strong Full Pleasant

I bought a tin of LM a few weeks back and left it open to try and dry it out a bit before smoking. But despite that it seemed to retain much of its moisture and consequently I found it quite hard work to light and keep lit. I did also suffer some tongue-bite, but that was probably as a result of working too hard at keeping it going.

But enough of minor technicalities - probably caused as much by my inexperience as the humidity of the tobacco - most importantly, IT TASTED GREAT!!

There is a fullness of flavour, richness, slowly-revealing-complexity and overall quality that quite simply brings a smile to your face, as you realise just how good tobacco can taste. There is none of the head-spin I found with Early Morning Pipe and despite its fullness I reckon, as many previous reviewers have confirmed, this could be a good all-dayer or session smoke. Pure unalloyed pleasure guaranteed with this most perfect of English blends.

Finally it passed the ultimate test. As I was leaving a pub with my future wife-to-be, who incidentally enjoyed the aroma of LM and is also a non-smoker, the young lady behind the bar said 'How nice it was to see someone smoking a pipe and what a great aroma it had'!! Enough said, full marks to London Mixture.

provguy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
provguy (52)

London Mixture from Dunhill for me is the ultimate english blend. It is my favorite Dunhill blend and I think my desert island blend. It is pleasing to look at and easy to fill my pipe with. Lights easily and stays lit. The flavor becomes richer at about the half way point, but the whole way through is glorious and very satisfying. I love the nose of this tobacco and find it very easy to smoke and definitely not overpowering. It is exceptionally balanced with orientals, latakia and virginia tobaccos, with none overpowering the others but with one being more prominent than the others at different times during the smoke, or with different bowls providing a different experience. four stars.

dgifford Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
dgifford (8)
Medium None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

This tobacco combines the zest of Latakia and the smoothness of Viginias without the cavendish overtones of a 965. This is my usual morning smoke. It is a bit too strong for all day, however. It can bite if over-puffed or not paid due attention. I also enjoy this after a good meal upon occasion

Paul Tatum Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Paul Tatum (86)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

A nice light tobacco for mid day . I like to smoke this tobacco when I am on the go , though care needs to be taken not to smoke it too hot with the moderate Virginia content that it has.

trevert Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
trevert (32)
Strong None Detected Extra Full Extra Strong

The other perfect English blend for me. London Mix is a little easier on the tongue than Standard, and more likable to beginning smokers. It also offers a more crowd-pleasing aroma and is in general a friendlier tobacco. It's lighter in color than Standard, and I suspect it contains less latakia as the flavor is sweeter and spicier to me. It offers all the advantages of Standard as far as cut and consistency goes and tops it in many ways.