Medium strength flake of selected grades of Lemon and Bronze Virginias. One of Dunhill`s most expert blends of highest quality.

Notes: Currently sold as "Dunhill Flake" due to new laws banning the word "light" in connection with tobacco.

BrandDunhill
Blended ByDunhill
Strength
Taste

3.1

This was one I had to be talked into trying because I figured it'd be too light for me to enjoy. Well, as we know, it's not light despite the name. I thought it had a nice citrus and grass flavor with a a mild spice note that sort of reminded me of cinnamon. Not complex at all, but it did make a nice all day smoke if I had wanted. No burn issues at all. A pleasant experience.

Stuffin McPipey Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Stuffin McPipey (6)
Medium None Detected Mild Pleasant

First opening the tin the smell reminds me of unfiltered wheat beer. Very light and sort of citrusy. Also the flake is not as tight as a plug; it feels flimsy and falling apart, even though it is staying intact. Presentation is beautiful. Layer upon layer of earth colored leaves with hay colored speckles dotting the flake, almost reminding me of a perfectly marbled NY Strip steak. One hour later and the scent of wheat beer is overwhelmed by grass clippings and sour grapes or apples. Very pleasant.

A whole flake stuffs my Bertram easily with about 2mm Of space left to the rim. Now for the fun stuff: The smoke itself is veerrrryy smooth. Very Virginia, not much else. It smokes nicely, no need to relight or bother sipping slow; it doesnt matter whether a long or short pull this stuff smokes the same regardless. Also, exhaling through the nose has minimal tingle, which is a nice change to the horseradish tingle I get from other Va-per blends Ive tried. Not having the tingle allows for the woodiness of the VA shine through. There is a nice sweetness in the aftertaste as well.

The smoke is light and creamy, and it smells nice when it lingers about. The scent is warming like boiling spiced tea in the kettle. Overall great flake and mellow enough to be in an everyday rotation.

Update 10/31/13: the more I smoke this stuff the more I love it. For those of you with a sweet tooth, that don't enjoy aromatics, TRY THIS! It's excellent in a corncob. Also goes well with Grand Mariner liqueur.

Noorrmm Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Noorrmm (193)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant

Sic Transit Gloria Mundi - Thus Passes the Glory of the World. How sad that the old Dunhill mainstays of my younger days join the ranks of the departed, while the packaging remains on the shelf. This is at best, a pedestrian VA. flake. Once upon a time, it stood atop the mountain of Virginias. Now many of them are gone forever, some changed in an acceptable manner, and some ruined. This is one of the ruined. My can is till from Murray, but I can't imagine that Orlick will resurrect the original Dunhill qualities.

Tonight (5/23/02), I finally had my first bowl of Dunhill's Light Flake--a bit surprising since I like Royal Yacht so much and have heard that Light Flake is similar to RY, but without casing.

Well, what I heard is true. This blend burns a bit warmer than RY since it is a straight virginia blend while the other has a little burley added. I prefer Royal Yacht to Light Flake, I suppose because of the light flavoring added to RY, but this was not a bad smoke. And while it is a straight virginia, it did burn mostly cool and stayed light well. I rubbed the fool out of the flakes and then gave it a whirl in my blender before packing and smoking. If you want a subtle, refined virginia flavor without the usual heavy overtones of an unstoved flake, then this is going to be delightful to you. If you want a little more punch in your bowl, look elsewhere. This won't be one of my everyday smokes, but I will keep a tin or two around for occasional pleasure!

DrumsAndBeer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DrumsAndBeer (69)
Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant

I find Dunhill Flake to be a solid Virginia smoke but not much more. The flavors remain consistent throughout the smoke and typical of most quality VA's it does open up a bit and become more interesting down the bowl. I would have to describe this blend as a combo of medium and semi bright VA flavors, a bit toasty, with a touch of a citrus tone, along with a room note that is slightly fruity, a bit like apricots, and more pleasant than not. The smoke is very smooth, never harsh although nasal exhales do give me a slight sharp twinge. To my palate Dunhill Flake is not a very sweet VA. In fact I find it a bit more earthy and somewhat dry and woodsy. The overall mouthfeel is a bit astringent, reminiscent of drinking a brisk black tea. There is a bit of a spiciness at play but it's quite restrained. Astringent mouthfeel aside, I experienced absolutely no tongue bite smoking this. There is a finely applied topping at play that elevates the overall flavor a touch, I have read something about it being spiked with bergamot, but whatever it is it's quite fleeting and only scarcely noticeable to me, mostly on random exhales.

This is an easier flake to work with and it performs well right out of the tin. It smokes with relative ease when rubbed out and almost as well cubed and gravity filled. When cubed there's more richness in flavor and a few more complexities come forth. I found a little dry time to be preferable but it's not entirely necessary. However, expect a bit of dottle if you choose not to dry it.

Altogether this is a very middle of the road kind of smoke for me. This flake does not have the wow factor of some other Virginians that I have tried and it lacks the warmth of the VA's that I prefer. But by in large this is some good stuff to smoke. I look forward to aging a few tins to see what the coming years bring.

Aroma was great in Tin, flavor was hay-like. Unfortunately, this one gave not only tongue bite, but mouth bite, very odd burning sensation in my whole mouth. Not able to smoke this.

pipelovingcalvinist Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pipelovingcalvinist (68)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

Well this one surprised me. I've never smoked this blend before and a friend gave me a ten year old tin of this stuff. Being named Light Flake plus having ten years of age on it, I expected a really mellow smoke. This was not the case at all. The tobacco was rich, strong, and spicy. The flavor was like toast sprinkled with a generous portion of black pepper. I found the nic content to be rather strong. Overall this was a nice smoke but again, it was nothing like I thought it would be. I have a tin of the newer Dunhill Flake and look forward to comparing it with this ten year old Light Flake.

Soli Deo gloria!

Connoisseur Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Connoisseur (33)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

While I have not yet tried the new politically correct Dunhill "Flake", I have fond memories of Dunhill' smasterpiece in Light Flake, which was one of my dessert island tobaccos. Always consistent, lovely presentation and a rich smooth full bodied smoke from fine, lightly cased virginias. I only wished I stocked up with Light Flake when it was abundant. Like so many classic before it, I can only hope the new "Flake" is every bit as good and tasty.

musicman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
musicman (81)

Dunhill Light Flake is a nice tobacco. It is a beautifully presented flake that burns well and has that nice sweet crisp Virginia taste.

This is a nice product, and I really cannot knock it for what it is, but I think there are much better Virginia flakes out there. Amongst the pantheon of better offerings I would put the products of Rattray, McClelland, and of course the always respectable Orlik Golden Sliced.

This tobacco has great burning qualities and all Dunhill hype aside, it is a good product. It is a higher end Virginia in terms of taste, and the flake is rather light in color. As with all Virginia tobacco this one really comes into its own with some age on it.

It is good, but you can do better. Recommended

N7COF Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
N7COF (56)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant

I picked up a Lane era 2003 vintage of this at last weekends West Coast Pipe Show - much preferred over the current offering Dunhill Flake by Orlik. A strong 3 stars!

goldfinger63 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
goldfinger63 (13)
Extremely Mild None Detected Very Mild Unnoticeable

to me this is a poor blend no character at all.other blends out there beat this.

TheSmokinDragon Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TheSmokinDragon (56)

Just opened a fresh tin, fold/packed the fantastic flake into a Ardor Fantasy Bent Dublin, a few relights on this one for me...smoked wonderful (a little wet, not sure if new pipe, bacci, or smoke'in method due to some windy/outside smoke'in...no worries as I use pipe-cleaners throughout all my smokes to make sure no nasty wet-smoke'in takes place), nice flavors all the way through (stronger at first half of bowl as other reviewers have stated) Keep a nice slow/sip'in method and she gives off great flavors back to you...a little sweet, citrus and some sort of spice when exhaled through nose...GREAT STUFF

have to snag a few more tins for bar from local shop before they are all gone...I hear there is a problem with getting the Dunhill bacci again.....DAMN! Oh well more time to sample all the other FANTASTIC blends in the bar....spice of life they say...enjoy

M.Toney Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
M.Toney (53)
Medium Very Mild Very Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This vintage tin full of mottled light to medium brown flakes sure smelled tantalizing. Sort of an aging fruitcake-like aroma. The flakes are very tender and almost fall apart if not delicately handled. It easily breaks apart into a wide, shag-like consistency that readily takes to flame & burns great. I knew how I'd be rating this after the first puff. Another superb offering from Dunhill.

The flavoring was certainly to my liking and this is the best tasting Virginia flake I've ever smoked. Very sweet, mild & flavorful smoke with satisfactory strength. How could one not like it...there's nothing there not to like. Doesn't bite, provides sweet matured Virginia flavor, smokes mild, etc. Just an excellent concoction for a Virginia Blend. Therefore, IMHO, Dunhill's Light Flake merits four stars. Sampled in a Dunhill Shell Briar.

Denevei Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Denevei (58)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable

I'm not sure why, exactly, but I'm one of those people who really wants to not like Dunhill. Probably it's the underdog in me, rooting against the big, established guy (and yes, I do own Dunhill pipes, thank you). So I approached Dunhill Light Flake with this, well, attitude, and was pleasantly surprised. This blend is quite good. Light Flake is a mix of Lemon and Bronze Virginias, pressed into a flake of nice browns and golds. The tin aroma is very pleasant, with the good top notes typical of a Virginia, but also with some nice, earthy undertones. The flake is easy to crumble into a bowl, and to my way of smoking is better that way than fully rubbed out. There is an evenness to this smoke from start to finish that, while a very real positive is also a little disappointing. A lot of Virginias start a bit wispy and then build through the bowl until, at the end, they have a lot of depth and character. Light Flake starts with more character than similar blends of light leaf, but by the end of the bowl I found myself looking for a little more (I can't help but wonder what the addition of a pinch of perique would do). But that isn't necessarily a negative, as I know many smokers will find that to be a real charm of the blend rather than a negative. Light Flake is full-flavored without being overpowering, and carries a nice sweetness but also an interesting tang. The flavor is smooth, with little risk of bite, though, as with all Virginias, I'd suggest not overpuffing it. If you want a Virginia with a clean taste, one that is tobacco and nothing more or nothing less, Light Flake may be the blend for you. You'll find sweetness without bite, and taste without it being overpowering. I don't think I'd suggest this as a flake for new Virginia smokers, but feel it is a good choice for most.

meerkat Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
meerkat (64)

Ok, here's my opinion.

This was the best virginia flake that has ever been available (reviewer ducks so as to dodge the onslaught from FVF advocates).

As others have mentioned, the word "light" is somewhat misleading here. It does have a bright edge to its naturally sweet flavour; citrusy and grassy, like Orlik's Golden Sliced. But this comes along with a deep toasty, raisiny richness a la Full Virginia Flake.

Not being a Cumbrian tobacco, Light Flake lacks the 'lakeland florals' which are the source of so much vitriol from some pipe smokers. Now, I like the florals in lots of tobaccos but I don't miss them here. The flavour is rich, deep and interesting enough without them; displaying, as it does, the full range of flavours available to virginia smokers in one generous package.

Like other Dunhills I have smoked, the quality of the leaf is beyond reproach, as is the treatment it has received from the blender. The moisture level is perfect and can be smoked straight from the tin, which is precisely what you will want to do when you open it and see the perfect neat flakes.

I have not yet tried the reissued (Orlik) version but I have ordered some and will post a review under the "FLAKE" heading when I have deliberated on it.

grumpyoldprofessor Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
grumpyoldprofessor (11)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium Tolerable

Wonderful Virginia Flake. Oh, how I love this stuff. Such a smooth creamy sweet smoke. Easy to pack and keep lit. I absolutely love the smell in the tin. It has mildly sweet grassy tastes along with a slight taste of baking bread, wonderful stuff.

Plunket Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Plunket (39)

As the blend notes state this is now Dunhill Flake and it's my first try since re-launched by Orlik. I think the original "Light" referred to a bright coloured light looking virginia flake. This is now much darker in appearance than the original and the first tin was too moist and needed a little drying before smoking. The slices are much narrower and "Dark" virginia flake would now better describe this offering.

I've been very impressed with Orlik's efforts on all the other original factory blends especially with Navy Rolls, 965 and EMP. I think this flake will also take its place along with the others - its a quality virginia, smokes very cool and slow - not much smoke, and not a big 'N' kick. I find it mild to medium but prefer my virginias with a little more of a nicotine slap. This will definetly be one to rotate for me, because I can see it becomming a bit bland and rather boring after a couple of tins. However, I can also see this becomming very popular to virginia devotees - I could never buy another tin of Gawiths FVF while this is on the shelf.

First class Orlik!

Alden Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Alden (7)
Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Just bought a tin today from the Otley Tobacconist (UK): they told me it had be re- released a few months ago. Cool, smooth but with a useful nicotine kick - very enjoyable; I'll be buying more of this. As I'm new to the site... my other regulars are Irish Flake, Erinmore Flake and Black Vanilla Flake.

Peppino Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Peppino (74)

Just popped a tin of 10 yr old light Flake. The edge has left and the flavor has increased.I like it better now than when it was fresh so it ages well but if I get anymore I can't/won't wait as long to pop the top! Next on my age list is 8 yr old Dark Star.

joeljcj2 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
joeljcj2 (8)
Mild Extremely Mild Medium Very Pleasant

for many years this has been my favorite "light" virginia tobacco. very clean, very crisp. it is now difficult (?? impossible ?) to find--but i have a few left from my hoard when i heard they were going out of production. (thank the sanctimonious right who determine our life values according to their belief systems) . I enjoy a lighter , virginia smoke in the a.m.-- unfortunately i must ration this one -- so i alternate with IRC virginia flake, and then move on to a heavier virginia flake during the day ( g & H best brown, samuel g brown unscented) and thence in the eve to any of several vaper flakes ( gh, sam g,...la flake...) dunhill burns very evenly-down to a fine white powder--although i too suspect a smidge of caseing --sugar on this--that may be natural in higher qual virginia tobaccos.

Txspurgeon Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Txspurgeon (8)

Being primarily a burly lover, I like an occasional Virginia, or Virginia flake. This is my favorite Virginia flake. About 1/4 way down the bowl, if sipped, I get a sweet taste, not unlike pure sugar. But just a hint. It is just natural sugars in this sweet Virginia. But it isn't sickly sweet..just natural Virginia. It packs just the right abount of nicotine for me. Although hard to find, BAT is re-introducing Dunhill tobaccos to the U.S. Market very soon. This one is among them, but will be re-named "Dunhill Flake". The term "light" had to be removed, due to liberal, socialist anti-smoking nazis. But, from my experience, It is the best Virg/Flake I have ever slapped a lip too. If you find it, TRY IT! You'll thank me.

Claudius Stradivarius Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Claudius Stradivarius (171)
Medium None Detected Medium to Full Strong

Based on a "non - Orlik" tin, if I may.

Fairly tasty for light coloured VAs. A good kick. But the room note, because of its composition, is close to that of a cigarette.

This would be a sound choice for someone who wishes to quit cigarettes and make the transition to pipes.

onezerosix Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
onezerosix (3)

don't take that word "light" lightly. it's definitely my favorite Virginia tobacco. i've tried different virginia tins but probably this will the best one so far.

cut-shot Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
cut-shot (10)

This is a very fine flake tobacco. The flakes are a beautiful brown/mahogony in color and very well packaged. Rubs out easily and the tin aroma is almost non existant until the flakes have been rubbed out and then just a slight sweet aroma is present but does need just a bit of time to air out before loading into the pipe. The taste is a very nice sweet Virginia flavor with hints of citrus mingling in and out throughout the smoke. Very consistent flavor all the way to the bottom of the bowl. Sip slowly and you will be rewarded but take the time to pack your pipe carefully as it is somewhat tempermental if packed too tight as I like it packed a little on the loose side. Very good tobacco and highly recommended... 4 stars indeed.

Virginia lover Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Virginia lover (118)

Tin from UK. Smoked folded in a bent Peterson. Easily one of the best Virginia flake I have ever smoked. More taste than strength, a pleasure from beginning till end. One flake lasted for thirty minutes puffed fast. The classic Virginia flake with citrus and fig notes, the reason why I like so much this kind of tobacco. Good for a Virginia flake beginner, an all day smoke or for that moment of the day when you need a lighter Virginia smoke.

Spizzo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Spizzo (4)
Medium Strong Full Very Pleasant

I have tried a couple different Dunhill tobaccos before this and I really did not like them. I was a bit apprehensive about buying this one but I went ahead and grabbed the last one at the shop. This VA is an absolutely wonderful smoke.

The presentation is neat with uniform flakes that are thick and rub out exceptionally easy.

The tin smell is a natural citrus smell and I am sure this is not added in any way. Delightful.

Very smooth smoke, lights well and burns with ease. No hint of any kind of bite and stays delicious through the whole bowl.

The taste is exceptional, deep virginia flavor with light citrus notes throughout.

This tobacco benefits greatly from some drying time. I accidentally tipped my pipe mouthpiece-side for a second and a stream of water came out.

The only bad thing is, it is no longer available. I sealed up my half tin that is left and am trying to forget about it. It is very hard to forget this stuff, such a shame.

**Edit for format

Countrygent Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Countrygent (9)
Medium Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Quality, quality, quality.

Presented in tight, pressed flakes neatly stacked in the tin. Figgy, stewed fruit classic sweet virginia notes on opening. Light flecked, dark thin flakes.

For a virginia flake it is towards the more subtle and milder end of the spectrum. For my palate the first half of the bowl had lighter lemon citrus notes (say, compared to the more anisette of Orliks Golden Flake).

There is complexity and delicate variation of virginia flavours through the bowl, delicious down to the dottle. There is not the robust, strong character of the full throttle tobacco orchestra here; this is a string quartet, quite properly labelled as "light". A bright, mild virginia flake with very few if any faults. Not as bold and brassy as Union Square; not as directly full-flavoured as FVF.

No longer available where I shop; I'd snap up any tin I saw until I had a few dozen at least in my cellar. It probably ages beautifully, but I wouldn't know.

Helmsman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Helmsman (18)

This is a fine tobacco. One of the best virginias I have smoked. First lighting of the bowl was a little harse, but nothing to complain about. The more I smoked the sweeter and smoother the virginias came through. A great masterpiece of Dunhill, job well done.

luvinthepipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
luvinthepipe (18)

this is my friends favorite tobacco. I sampled from his supply several times and really liked what I smoked. Last month, I found a smoke shop that had a decent supply of dunhill tobacco sitting on the shelf. Knowing it was no longer being imported into the States, I bought what supply they had, 2 tins of Light Flake, 2 tins of Nightcap, 3 tins of MM965, 1 tin of Standard Medium Mixture and a tin of London Mixture. the Nightcap and 965 state Made in EU but these Light Flakes and the Mixtures say Made in UK on the tins. Too bad these may never be found again. This Light Flake is so well made. The presentation is impeccable with neat, perfect flakes lined up in a beautiful blue and white tin. No space is wasted in the tin. The flavor is sweet, complex and just fabulous if smoked slowly. I'll miss it.

haredawg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
haredawg (46)
Medium Very Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

Picked up a tin of this a few months back, a brick and mortar smoke shop was having a pipe sale and I picked up an L?antra Canadian, feeling expansive I picked up a few tins of expensive tobacco. I forgot I had picked up a tin of Dunhill Light flakes. Easy to do for me, I mean I thought Nightcap was a real fine smoke and 965 is sort of the standard of an English blend, but when I think of an exceptional smoke Dunhill doesn?t spring to mind, especially the non English blends. I was not expecting as sublime and complex fine Virginian flake as this. With the exception of what must be a very mild light and non aggressive casing, this flake is almost as good as Reiner?s long golden flake minus the touch of perique. Beautiful light to mahogany flecked flakes neatly packed into the tin, the fine fig and prune scent of aged Virginian, and a delicate yet persevering complex taste. I?m afraid it?s my fault it?s off the market. That?s my luck see, I find something I could stick with for a while and it?s gone. The few month wait wasn?t a lame attempt at getting some aging in, just a mistake, just long enough for them to quit making it. Forgive me. Maybe I should say it wasn?t that good to keep everyone from feeling bad. If I had known I would have stocked up. I?m getting some Davidoff medallions in the mail, stocking up before the feds tax what?s left of my testicles; I?m hoping it will be similar to this late great flake. I?m guessing my tin was done by orlik instead of murrays though, reminded me of a more refined golden slice.

Duke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Duke (41)
Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant

First let me say I love my Virginians and I employ a slower smoking cadence to derive the best results. Last weekend I had the time to line up three straight Virginians for comparison: Dunhill Light Flake (Murray?s), McC Xmas Cheer 05 & McBaren Virginian #1. Light Flake narrowly finished first to Xmas Cheer 05, with McB rounding out a quite respectful third. I feel all three are of supreme quality, so the smoking and flavor characteristics are my guide to preference. First I like to state my opinion that all tobaccos are cased and topped. Were genius is observed is when a blender?s craft is so subtle that tobacco and treatment marry into a sublime sum. Lt Flake, for me, is that Virginian tobacco. A delicious sweet tobacco taste, and if there is a floral/herbal note it is done with such a deft hand I couldn?t identify a specific note. The tobacco flavor strengthens when advancing down the bowl. When finished I feel satisfied, whereas Xmas Cheer has snuck up on me, at times. The perfect powdery ash confirms the absence of unwanted agents. I also prepared each tobacco by drying or airing the tobacco prior to fire. I find I virtually avoid all Virginian sting this way. Try all three yourself and let us know which is the best.

Morgoth Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Morgoth (22)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable

Dunhill Light Flake is a very high quality blend that undeniably provides for the transcendent enjoyment of pure Virginia leaf. The subtle caramel sweetness that lights upon one?s palate can be elusive if not smoked with thoughtfulness.

I get the impression that my tin, similar to some wines, may have been enjoyed ?before it?s time?...I have cellared some other tins with the hopes that they will improve with age.

Highly recommended.

A companion infusion: one part Drambuie with two parts Forty Creek Barrel Select Canadian Whisky...taken neat.

NOTE: (if I may...) I believe that Virginia tobacco?s are not ?air cured?, they are predominantly ?flue cured?...and only small amounts of lesser grade Virginias are ?fire cured? to be used in snuff, twist and plugs. A number of Virginia based tobaccos on this website state that they are ?air cured?...this is a curing method that is reserved for Burley leaf. (see: ?All About Tobacco? ? Milton M. Sherman ? 1970).

drmeer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
drmeer (20)

I had the pleasure of trying an unopened tin from 2003, and wow, some age did make a nice difference. This is a good flake, if you can still get it, and if smoked correctly is sweet and flavorful.

Laudante Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Laudante (29)
Mild Very Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This was my first straight Virginia, many years ago, and it made me fell in love with this kind of tobacco. Later I found other blends more to my liking but I remember Light Flake as a very good tobacco. The last time I smoked it was about 4 years ago and it was very good. It was still a Murray Sons tin, so I know nothing about the new version.

Medium None Detected Full Pleasant

First let me start by saying that this stuff is good!! I just finished my 6th bowl in the last few days and it has proven to be a nice VA flake.

I could not detect any casing upon smelling the lovely medium brown flakes, rippled with fine light stripes; nor did I notice any during the light up, or at any other time during my smoke.

The flakes rubbed out very easily and I found that breaking the strips into thirds and separating them into peices that fit well into the bowl did the job (Oh, plus I had dried the flakes for a few hours and this got the moisture level right where I like it).

Two charring lights and a true light were needed and then this fine smoke lit up well. It was a little hot initially and stung my tongue slightly, but then the heat subsided and things cooled down to a nice creamy smoke

I tasted sweet Virginia and not any casing, soapiness or any other unpleasant flavor....truly a nice gustatory/olfactory experience.

The flavor reminded me of freshly baked bread...as other reviewers had noticed...and thanks for this description...I couldnt really pin it down until I read that...on the nose! The flavor deepened as time elapsed and it took on a toasty, caramelized like flavor.

This is a nice blend, though it may not be as good as it once was...I still like it.

Old Schoolr Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Old Schoolr (12)
Medium None Detected Overwhelming Overwhelming

Dunhill Light Flake was my first attempt at Virginia tobacco. The packaging was first class & the tin aroma was a nice dried fruit smell. I tried this tobacco lightly rubbed out, fully rubbed & in a "MacBaren" roll but it never really did much for me. I won?t pretend to have liked the experience of smoking this tobacco; it was not good & I was disappointed to have spent the money it cost to try it. In spite of what some reviewers seem to believe an old established name or high price doesn?t guarantee a good smoke. The taste & aroma were the same to me as the cigarettes smoked by my Canadian relatives. That is to say harsh & tarry. I never did attain the sweet or citrus flavors noted by other reviewers, only the flavor of tar & later in the pipe an ashy-ness. The aroma was so bad my wife complained of the odor even though I was smoking out in the yard w/ the house closed up. I have to give credit to Dunhill that Light Flake was not bitey & didn?t leave sticky glop in the pipes I tried it in. Other than that there was nothing going on for this tobacco. MacBaren?s HH Mature Virginia is a much better experience in Virginia tobacco. Has Light Flake been discontinued? I never would have noticed & won?t miss it a bit.

Pseudo Nim Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pseudo Nim (96)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

After reading the reviews of the learned gentlemen (and I presume, Ladies) of tobacco reviews, I went and purchased a tin, fell in love with it straight away, I had found my new passion, (again) the perfect morning smoke, a gentle dream to while away the hours, I would have to tear myself away from this to smoke something else in the evening. By now, I was realising that this was a tobacco of such fine quality and excellence, that I would stock up on this to some degree, in order never to be without. Imagine my horrror, nay, HORROR, that this imbibing nectar of the gods has been discontinued, it's like never to be seen again, it's recipe, taken from us, never again to be created under another name.

Blasphemy, BLASPHEMY I say!!!!! a decision, no doubt made by PHILISTINES of both dubious and doubtful parentage, woe betide them, and a plague be upon them and their house!!!!!

Yes I quite liked it and I'm sorry it's gone.

Frosty Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Frosty (37)
Medium to Strong Very Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

Wow! This flake is very good indeed! Buttery, creamy smoke, smooth and flavorful. If you have not yet tried this, do yourself a huge favor and do so. I give this four stars without hesitation. Yum!

garydobbs Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
garydobbs (15)
Mild Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This is one of the mildest flakes I've ever had the pleasure to try. The flavours are very subtle but have a good length. Flavours I encounterd are yeast, honey and I'm sure there's a slight tinge of caramel in there. The flakes rub out well straight from the tin and once alight smokes away slow and easy. I can't really fault this one has a refreshing change from all the full bodied cased tobacco I usually smoke and will always keep a tin on hand for those moments when nothing else but a viginian will do.

Excellent stuff.

Medium to Strong Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This is high quality, mature, well cured Virginias that you can actually taste and enjoy by the end of the bowl, once the soapy flavor recedes.

The again, there are many quality Virginias that you can enjoy right from the start, without waiting for a nasty topping to fade away.

If you like Lakeland blends, this thing might be for you. To me, it's just soapy tobacco.

The Punisher Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The Punisher (44)

I hesitated for a long time before considering trying this flake. The words "lemon" and "bronze" VAs equated strongly to "tongue bite" in my mind, so I stayed away from Light Flake for years.

Until recently. Not knowing what to add in my order to make the postal fees seem more reasonable, my assessment was that I had nothing really to loose, that at worse, I could blend LF with other tobaccos. So I ordered a couple tins.

Golden and light brown leaves form the main part of a flake, completed by medium brown leaves. Pure tobacco aroma with occasional citrus and sweet notes impregnate the olfactory senses.

Rubbing out is fairly easy and lighting is also easy. Not many relights are necessary and the taste is of high quality VA combined with citrus and sweet notes, once more. The nicotine content is highly satisfactory, confirming that the word "light" refers to the colour of the flake, not the strength of the flake.

Strength will develop as I work my way to the bottom of the bowl, making LF an interesting, almost metaphysical experience. And the bowl is left with only gray, dry ashes.

I did not regret trying it, I will reorder. The only pitiful aspect is that the room note will become similar to cigarettes after the tin has been opened for a week or so.

Chris08 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Chris08 (37)

I have not smoked a large assortment of Virginia Flakes, so I must state that I am not an expert on the genre. That being said, Dunhill's Light Flake is a very solid performer.

As a former cigarette smoker and a Canadian (our cigarettes use Virginia Tobacco only), I found the charring light deceptively cigaretty! I do not mean this in a negative way, but merely that I felt this was mild in taste and had a fairly quick nicotine delivery.

When smoked, my initial impression changed and thoughts of foods came to mind. Perhaps most evidently, the taste of fresh bread or rolls came to mind. Maybe a little honey early on in the bowl as well. Also, it was not as nicotine rich as I had thought...and tongue bite as very minimal.

This is a fine smoke to enjoy when the day winds down, or when you want a change from the usual Latakia mixture. On a cool evening on the back porch, I can think of few diversions more relaxing.

Tobacco Saves Lives Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tobacco Saves Lives (31)
Medium Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant

A fair plain and simple virginia, just taste like tobacco.

tonyg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tonyg (103)

Noorrmm's review below expresses my sentiments perfectly.

Wriggles Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Wriggles (44)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium to Full Tolerable

Being a veteran pipe smoker,up until a decade or two ago, drugstores were filled with a never ending supply of good tobaccos which were very modestly priced. I really never found it necessary to expand into premium (expensive?) smokes. However, in modern times, drugstore selection has diminished to a few national brands, most of which I do not like. I therefore buy tobacco when I'm visiting anywhere there is a actual tobacco shop. LF is one recently tried.

I find Light Flake to be an excellent quality tobacco, strong enough to be satisfying, and tobacco flavor galore. The tin I got smelled heavenly upon opening; the tobacco packed well, stayed lit with few relights, and overall a great smoke.

Recommended to all. But I have to say, I could taste a bit of the essense of Mixture No. 79. The soapy, floral hint that I cannot say was unpleasant, but unmistakeable.

I buy Mixture No. 79 on very, very rare occasions. Although I will not smoke LF regularly, I will always have a tin around, when I feel like some quality "79".

I hope I haven't offended anyone by the comparison of Dunhill Light Flake with Mixture No. 79.

A. Morley Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
A. Morley (73)
Medium to Strong Strong Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I believe this to be one of the world?s great flakes, though not a classic example of the genre. The name Light Flake refers to the color and leaf component of pale Virginias because in actual strength it is a nice, middle-weight smoke, perfectly able to stand on its own. The strands of which the flakes are composed are long, soft, and of a variegated brown and beautiful gold that serve to make it a tobacco that is as much a pleasure to see as its soft pliability and fresh aroma make it a joy to touch and smell. It is that very aromatic addition which makes Dunhill?s Light Flake so appealing to me, though, oddly, I have read no other reference to it in any review or tobacco literature. All the same, there is a flavor with this flake other than that of pure tobacco, thus making it an aromatic in the modern sense.

I have an inexhaustible fondness for mixtures of the Lakeland style and I find Light Flake to be a wonderful variation of that ancient and glorious tradition. I say that it is a variation because as where in quintessential examples of the style such as Grouse-Moor or Westmorland Flake, the floral perfume essence of the aromatic agent is lain on so heavy that the leaf is subdued completely and transformed into something else entirely. With Light Flake, an aromatic not nearly so potent is applied with what would appear to be a more niggard hand. As a result, the toasty sweetness of bright Virginia is noticeable throughout the bowl. There is also a greater smokiness and a heavier mouthfeel than in other such scented flakes. The combination of these factors with that wonderful floral aroma, which would also seem to feature notes of lemon and apple, make for a most pleasing and summer-like smoke which generally puts me in the mind of new-mown hay and other such agrarian pleasantries.

As if there were not enough to recommend this tobacco to all save for the most stereotypically thick-necked whom will shun anything not containing either Latakia or cherry sauce, this is a flake that burns equally well rubbed out or packed whole into a pipe. I always prefer my flakes rubbed out, though.

Fuzzypeg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Fuzzypeg (9)

Years ago, after the loss of Sobranie Flake and Benson & Hedges OVF, this became my everyday tobacco. However, I bought a tin a couple of months ago and was very disappointed with it.

Nevertheless, the last two tins have proved first class and it seems to be back to something like its best. A lovely, high quality Virginia flake, which has the advantage of being readily available, at least in England.

This tobacco used to be made by Murray's in Belfast, but my current tin declares that it is made in England. I wonder who is now making it?

imago Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
imago (63)
Medium Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Today is the first time I've tried this, so my review won't be an especially in-depth one. I am reminded of Orlik "Golden Slices" quite a bit, although I think that this is a bit sweeter and more flowery. Quite a great tobacco!

Maimonides Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Maimonides (70)

ZESTY TOBACCO

Another Va, It is good. It has a topping- I think, and reminds me a little of Orlik's golden slices but less cased and stronger tobacco flavors. It is 'ZESTY' a must try, and a great smoke. Smells confusing when opening tin, citrus, flowery? I cant figure it out.( A+ on presentation) a beautiful marbled sliced brick...

BETTER PICK: MCCLELLAND CHRISTMAS CHEER 05' OR 06

LouTheBlueGuru Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
LouTheBlueGuru (2)
Medium Very Mild Full Pleasant

First, let me point out that this is my third attempt at pipe smoking. At this point I have a full stable of pipes and have a drawer of 12 different tins of tobacco. All are VA or VA/PER except one. I like VAs. I just finished a tin of SG FVF and went to the drawer to pick another tin. The little Dunhill Light Flake tin caught my eye. I pulled the tin and opened it. Very pretty rectangles of VA flake. To dispel any doubts, it definitely has a topping. Smelled like dried apricots. Rubbed out one slice and filled the bowl of my new little pot, a perfect fill. Smokes real easy but I found it some what underwhelming in the flavor category at first. As I went through the tin using the same pipe, it just got better and better. It burns great all the way down the bowl and tastes perfect to my pallet. The topping is just barely noticeable in the background and compliments the great VA taste. This is a real nice smoke. I am now down to one slice and just ordered three more tins. Enough said.

raadman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
raadman (31)

Tobacco appearance is medium brown mottled flake that was quite moist...decided to let it dry out for a few hours. Tin aroma was a sort of spicy rum note...topping? Up for debate. After the match I got the usual high quality refined dunhill flavor that I just can't find in most other brands...semi-sweet, nutty, spicy, straight Virginia taste right down to the bottom with clouds of beautifull light blue smoke, fantastic woodsy finish...life is good. Extensive airing and partial rub out of the entire tin mitigated the soapy/ floral undertones substantially. This is the only Virginia I can smoke around the wife without her threatening legal action.

dunhill grp 5 bent brandy

Captain Josef Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Captain Josef (2)
Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I would like to preface this review with a few words.

First, that this is my first review...something I have been wanting to do for some time now, having become an enthusiast after some time at my office smoking pipes with my boss. (Nothing makes for a better afternoon break.)

Its pretty easy for me to become an enthusiast...us Deadheads are good at it.

Ive been smoking for 3 months now. 1 month ago I quit smoking ciggarettes--the best thing Ive ever done for myself after 14 years of heavy smoking (Im 25 now.) The pipe and cigar hobby has kept me happy and out of jail since quitting the cigs.

First tin ever was John Aylesbury English Mixture...a bright VA mix. I seared my tounge many a time, but enjoyed it. After that, I became hooked on Latakia blends, chiefly 965 and Nightcap which a friend allowed me to sample from his bulk collection.

After spending the last couple months smoking English blends, I began to crave that bright piquiant Virginia flavor again. Living near Saint Louis, I decided to make an excursion out to Jon's Pipe Shop. I bought a new G&D Dublin to compliment my G&D bent billiard, cheap-o bent meerschaum carved sultan, and Peterson St. Pat's '00. More pipes!

I popped open the can on the way back from StL to get a whiff of the new stuff as I smoked a very nice Punch Corojo. Grassy and something sharp. Definately different from the JA English Mixture, but I expected it would be since LF is a straight VA.

I am sitting here at home with my new pipe and my little tin of Dunhill LF, which was recommended to me by the friendly tobacconist (these guys must be the happiest people in the world.)

Opened the tin again and lifted out a couple slices. This is something I have been wanting to try. Broke them up, rubbed them into a ball, which when deposited into the tin's lid was clearly ready to load. The tobacco is pleasing to the eye, and seemed to be the consistency of 'ready rubbed' varieties Ive tried from my boss's collection. The wad of tobacco looked like it wanted to jump into my new pipe instead of being properly loaded, so I stuffed it in. Men, women, childern...everyone for themselves this time.

'Perfect' moisture content out of the tin (I prefer my English bone dry, but a bit of moisture seems right for this stuff.)

Char, tamp. Hmm...still going. Puff...mmm...sweet, bright. Not too hot. Puff puff...hotter...tamp...ahh better tamped down a bit more.

1/3 through with a bit more tamping (due to my loading technique) and Ive been enjoying an even, reasonably cool, flavorful smoke for what seems like 15 minutes. Just a teeny bit less bright citrusy hints and an even-keeled pleasant 'hay' note.

Halfway down, same. Even cooler than the top of the bowl was. Very consistant smoke. No relights despite setting it down a couple times to cool off (former cig smoker.)

Now to do something else while I smoke the rest...lucky me, I have Firefox. Ack...let her go out. I need a bit of a rest anyway, a bit smoked out feeling. Id rate niccotine content at medium. Time for a bit of water...coffee would go great with this stuff though. Going to go out to the front porch and stand around feeling happy...70 degrees, partly cloudy, 2-4 mph breeze. Mmm.

Tick...tock...tick...tock...

Good finish. I still get the sooty flavor I always get toward the bottom of the pipe...I assume this is normal, but maybe Im doing something wrong. Therefore, I always toss the last 1/4...well not quite, but the last bit.

A good way to break in my new pipe. Ill be smoking this on a somewhat regular basis, as something to break up the monotony of Englishes.

Can't wait to try more flakes and 'not ready to pack' varieties.

At least Im remembering to maintain my humidor...it is full--the cigars are...aging. Yeah. Aging.

Cheers -JW Belleville, IL, US

EDIT: I tried a new packing method suggested on the McBaren website. Essentially, it involves folding the flake(s) in half 'with the grain,' folding again 'across the grain,' which loosens the slivers of tobacco on the folded end...then pushing/massaging a bit to get that 'looser' consistency, then cramming the bundle (which is the exact size of the bowl) into the pipe. The result is aa bit tricky to properly light, but after a bit of charring and gentle tamping, one has a nice, slow-burning pipe of tobacco with a bit different character than a rubbed out flake. Interesting. I have noticed a LOT of condensation forming though...apparently it is necessary to adjust the density of the 'wad' to get things sorted out. Seems like a good 'outdoors' method too...slow burn and no embers flying out of the bowl. Ahoy...Navy Flake!

Pipepundit Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipepundit (167)

I first tried this in my early days of pipe smoking, when I had just discovered Latakia and believed that there was nothing more left to be discovered in the tobacco world. A decade later a more educated palate encountered Light Flake again, and it became a regular companion. Of the bright flakes this is amongst the very best.

I have smoked fifteen year old tins and new tins recently(where it is just called Flake), and do not detect any great differance. All tins were purchased in the UK.

zionhead1 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
zionhead1 (26)
Mild Very Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Very basic Tobacco. Pure Virginia, unsweetened. Thats is it. Will not buy anymore.

Ranger Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ranger (58)

A really good quality virginia flake. Excellent golden color, thick, and with perfect moisture content. A slightly sweet taste that doesn't bite, and is satisfying all day long. The price is reasonable, the flavor and burn outstanding. A solid three star tobacco.

erz316 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
erz316 (7)

A straight up virginia with a bit of lemon tang to it. A very nice blend with a definite nip to it that keeps you awake.

calavera Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
calavera (26)

When I first smoked this, it had an almost soapy note that oddly enough, I did not mind.

After the tin had been open a while, the soapiness has gone. This flake is less sweet than the other virginias that I usually like, but I still enjoy it. It has a hay like note, and an aftertaste that reminds me of oats.

I fold up a whole flake and shove it in my pipe.

Steerpike Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Steerpike (60)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

This is my favourit of the pure Virginias I have so far tried. Its a wonderfully prepared tobacco, neat, regular flakes that rub out easily, pack just fine, and light and stay lit with no trouble at all. The moisture content is perfect, and if smoked with a bit of care, burns slow, cool and without drip.

The tin aroma is a spicy, raisiny sort of smell, very fruity, and this sort of smell is present in the room aroma.

The flavour is fresh, naturaly sweet but not too sweet, and mild, although not bland in any way like some other similar tobaccos. Craftsman flake for example. Towards the end of the bowl the flavour can progress from dried fruityness on to an almost nutty taste, making it a very interesting smoke, one which can be enjoyed for a long time without either becoming boring or becoming too strong.

The nicotine content is noticable, but not strong, so this would be a good choice of flake for a beginner (it was my first try of a Virginia flake, and I enjoyed it a lot)

Another good reason to keep some of this around is that it is a really multi purpose smoke. Indoors it burns slow and does not offend non smokers, while being more interesting than some aromatics. Out of doors its a good tobacco, particularly on a cold day, as this makes it very difficult to make it burn hot. On a very windy day, the flakes can just be rolled, folded or twisted a little, shoved into the pipe and set fire to. They will burn really slow, even in a strong wind, and do not go out as some other flakes do. Due to new Legal silliness perpetrated by our insane government, here in Britain this tobacco is now called "Flake". Calling it Light would apparently imply that it is less likely to kill us than other tobaccos. I hope this at least will put an end to quibbling as to whether this really is a "light" flake.

==============UPDATE======================

Recently this tobacco has changed somewhat, either that or my tastes have- I now detect a noticable topping of some kind, rather like that of Erinmore but applied less heavy handedly. I suspect that it has always been used, it smells familiar, but I dont recall this note being so strong. Maybe its because my last tins were open longer, and one of them had matured a while (That one had the most proinently raisiny smell). In any case, I still really enjoy it, its very rewarding, tasty and smells good.

lastjunchoon Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
lastjunchoon (2)

After smoking a tin of Light Flake, I think this blend is a little light tasting for me, my experience was whether different from most of the reviews from here. It smokes hot and wet and overall not a very good smoking experience. Somewhat Recommended.

jackhackett Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jackhackett (76)

Update: It's gotten even more unremarkable, but I do still like it. Less of the Dunhill harshness experienced in the past, but also somewhat bland, no surprises here. Wessex's Golden VA is supposed to be a punchier version of LF, and there may well be more analogs of this blend that do it better.

10/16/05: [Review based on tins manufactured in 2004]

Somehow unremarkable and yet unique, Dunhill's Light Flake is clearly an untopped flake to sight, smell and touch, yet it presents some odd flavors that "are not casing but more than tobacco" which must result from the combination of these various select VAs.

Though it is supposed to be "light," I think this refers mostly to the actual color and distant citrus taste of this blend. DLF is not exactly patient with beginners or frequent puffers. It is, however, comprised of quality leaf, and consistently demonstrates the sharpness and sweetness expected of VA flakes, though of a certain 'citrus-blonde' shade of these.

Briar&Weed Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Briar&Weed (2)

New Version: Like smoking the old formula through a filter. People wanted a true "lite" to match the name and now we have it. I absolutely craved the old stuff. Now, I puff and puff trying to get the old taste back. Rats.

Old version comments: True love. Pure tobacco taste, smooth, versatile and the right amount of nicotine for me. It's my base tobacco and the one I'd call my 'desert isle/only-one-if-I-had-to' smoke. Also, my 'fastest thru the tin' winner. The one I crave most often when without. This and London Mixture produce 90% of my household smoke.

GeoLogger Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
GeoLogger (16)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild Unnoticeable

I first smoked cigars as a way off cigarettes, may I be forgiven. In the cigar shop I saw some pipes and was reminded of earlier youthful bouts with pipe smoking. On a bit of a lark I grabbed a Comoy and some tobacco the clerk pushed off on me. One thing led to another and when I tired of the goopy junk from his jar, I tried and became enamoured of this tobacco. I was already familiar with and trusted Dunhill via their cigars and this tin had the same colours on the handy-dandy pocket-sized tin as my cigars so I picked this one. Simple as that. Well, that was then and this is now, but I have always appreciated this tobacco. Mostly appreciation like you appreciate a first girlfriend; thats the tin I picked and we explored pipes together.

Now lo these severals of years later I have been trying to learn the art of tobacco reviewing. I was quite let down by some of my early reviews after reading quite a few more of the normal ones. My apologies to the readers of those sad efforts. One of the things I had been skipping was to note whether or not the tobacco smoked "to a fine white ash". I have been trying to figure out whether this one does or not. My problem is with the qualifiers I suppose. I have never seen any ash (tobacco or otherwise) that wasn't really really fine. And of course all the tobacco ash I have encountered so far seem to me to be light grey enough as to appear occaisonally close to white. The last thing I would dream of doing is to make someone embarassed, but I just wonder if the mottled dottle is from unsteady elderly hands sort of jiggling the unsmoked into the smoked. I have seen some of these pipesmokers who are, well, unsteady a bit.

Well, on to the tobacco. Oh boy!

Better get a pipe. I wondered at first what kind of pipe to use. One of the things you learn from reading the online content is that one pipe might better enhance a certain tobacco's qualities. I couldn't remember which sort of pipe seemed to be preferred for use with flakes, and I had not gotten my online notes out yet. I did remember that in these notes I made from online content it is suggested I might prefer to use my favourite old Ben Wade Freehand for about anything. I was fiercely impatient to get on with it, then it came to me - I had always meant to get a Ben Wade - but had never quite got around to doing it. So, I started to bust the flakes a bit and then I quit. I wanted to try that new thing where if you fold the flakes and stuff them right in the bowl that way instead of rubbing them out like God intended them be. Oh I almost forgot - I ended up using a big old Stanwell 183 that I got from my wife's brother-in-law. If you squint when you look at it you can just about pretend it is a Ben Wade. It really isn't a bad pipe at all - it just isn't one of my better ones, and some of the reviews go to great effort to mention things like plum and cinnamon and such and I wasn't sure if I wanted all that in one of my good pipes. The broken pieces look really dumb. Looks to me like trying to smoke dead tree leaves. Exactly like White Ash tree leaves, I dumped it out and rubbed the flakes smartly into a semblance of tobacco. Much better.

I don't recall how many char lights it took to get this lit. The way I sort it out is simply if it won't light and catch then that was a char light. When it does catch that is the real light. I know I got it lit and it seems like if lighting were much trouble I'd have surely put the stuff away because I have a lot of other tobacco that will easily catch and burn. Next I was thinking of trying DGT. I made a note to check my notes and see if the T is to D after you smoke some of it or before you smoke any of it. So I didn't D and just started smoking. The ash on the top layer started out mostly very light grey. I wanted to make a note of things like that, and of what I smelled and tasted in the tobacco. I was pretty worried about the plum. Surely to goodness no blender in their right mind would take good smoking tobacco and add some sort of stuff to it to make it taste of plums. I really don't like plums. I was probably only half-worried they really did it though because a lot of the reviews also mention that certain Virginias either have a tin aroma (or actually taste when smoking) of hay. I suppose they mean grass or wheat hay and not green leafy hay like alfalfa. Alfalfa has a really distinct smell when burning and is easy to tell, but I have never tasted anything remotely like hay in any of them and this is one ol boy has smoked some hay (and grape vine) in his day. Now, I have certainly tasted that soapy thing though. And soapy taste is something for which I absolutely have to award demerits. I once asked Peter Stokebye why some tobaccos taste like soap. I guess he thought I intended the query as if in referrence to his own tobacco, as he was the only blender present. He flatly stated he doubted if even one of HIS tobaccos might do it, and I quickly regretted bringing it up. I listened carefully the whole while I smoked and I heard no notes at all - not high or treble clef or anything. I did save my written notes though.

I give this tobacco two stars.

Cactus John Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Cactus John (34)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I don't know why I like this so much but I do. I've herd that it has some kind of booze in it for flavor. And I seem to like tobaccos that have booze in them. Anyway this is a big favorite of mine. A definite keeper.

Danno Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Danno (87)
Mild Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

I have a new tin of LF as well as an older tin from the later 90's. I am smoking the new tin first, and as such, my review is based on it. I may reiterate later, after consuming the older batch. Based on the current offering, LF is rather monochromatic to me. I detect a slight citrus scent, not unlike a muted version of Royal Yacht. The flavor is simple, middle-of-the-road-with-nary-a-surprise virginia and little in the way of nicotene. I find it best when lit for a few minutes, then granted a few hours rest in a pipe, whereby the presentation darkens slightly and holds my attentions to a degree. The room note is akin to a cheap cigarette. Certainly an aimiable companion, however I prefer tobacco less pedigreed and more interesting.

Lancelot Gobbo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Lancelot Gobbo (23)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Pleasant

At first you think this will be bland, but if you smoke it gently and slowly there a lot of delicate flavours to bring out. I can understand some thinking this has been topped, but it really is just a good example of the inherent flavours in a VA that can be experienced when well blended. Fresh bread - yes, but also a lemon citrus. At the end of a large bowl this anything but one dimensional. Very high quality flakes with a beautiful tin aroma. There are other similar VA flakes with more tanginess, but this one deserves to be tried.

Collezionista Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Collezionista (59)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

This stuff is suspiciously fruity. I too suspect that some topping is used on the flake. I smoked this for the first time in an estate Becker that I had not smoked before and the unusual zest of this tobacco had me worried that the pipe was not properly cleaned before it came my way. By about mid bowl, however, the natural qualities of what is obviously impeccable Virginia leaf began peeking through and I realized it was simply a topping of some sort. I dected the same flavor during subsequent smokes in my other pipes as well. If Light Flake wasn't so sweet and "foofy", it would probably be one of my favorites. As it is however, I tend to smoke this on the occasions when I'm in the mood for something a bit sweeter than my Rattrays and a little less syrupy than black cavendish. One final note, Light Flake quite possibly has the best burning characteristics of any Virginia flake I've come across. It burns cool and clean all the way to the bottom with little or no relights needed. All in all, this is an incredibly well made flake, but the mischeivous topping detracts from the full potential of this tobacco.

Mr.Vince Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mr.Vince (11)
Mild Very Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

While many consider this blend to "light" for themselves, I think it is a good summertime smoke here in the desert. When the temp. hits triple digits, a Light blend is just right. three stars.

Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant

A classic British flake, refined, classy as all Dunhills, but to me this one is too light and tasteless. The flavour is good, of course, but it's little. Into the same typology I'd rather smoke Capstan, definitely more satisfying.

Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

With so many reviews of this blend, I will keep my comments brief. this is another classic flake. It is light in color, but not in taste. it is actually in the medium to full range of flavor and is "classic" VA. Think "Old Gowrie", "Caledonian", "Golden Sliced", etc... It is very reasonably priced and is therefore another "old faithful" blend. You can't go wrong with this blend as long you are not expecting a "stellar" pipe smoking experience. Nevertheless, it is refined and classy as befits the "Dunhill" name. Enjoy...

Mr. Dottle Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mr. Dottle (162)
Medium Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

For me, DLF proved to be a very mild, one-dimensional VA flake that is short on taste and, consequently, failed to satisfy me. It has a subdued citrus flavor as well as an underlying and subtle soapy/floral taste, the latter of which I did not care for. I just like a tobacco with a little more ?punch? and taste than DLF offered. On the positive side, it did not bark, growl or bite and it has good burning qualities. Regarding all Dunhill blends, there are some pipesters who feel that Dunhill blends just ain?t what they used to be.

A cigarette is to be smoked. A cigar is to be enjoyed. A pipe is to be savored.

I rate this tobacco 4.8 out of 10.

Lbarraa Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Lbarraa (27)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Tolerable to Strong

A very interesting tobacco, great flavor and taste. This is one of my favorites tobaccos. If you are not carefull coul over heat your pipe!.

Paddy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Paddy (125)
Medium to Strong Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I would describe this as a luxurious Virginia tobacco in appearance, aroma and taste. It comes in neat dark, pliable flakes, not as dark as Marlin Flake or Full Virginia Flake, but definitely not light brown in color. The smell in the tin has been described by non-pipe smokers as reminding them of mince meat pie. It is definitely a Christmas season aroma, and reminds me of the maraschino cherry flavoring in red and green Christmas cookies or some kind of Christmas cake or pudding. I hasten to add that no cherry or baking spices come through in the smoke. The flakes rub out beautifully; the tobacco loads easily, and lights quickly. Immediately, I get the sweetened Virginia flavor. The flavoring additive provides a unique sweetness to the Virginia. About a quarter of the way down the bowl you are aware that this tobacco packs a bit of a nicotine punch, very sneaky because I do not get that distinctive nicotine astringency on the tongue, but I am aware that the nicotine is working. This is a very smooth Virginia with absolutely no bite and possesses a subtle sweetness that is impossible to define; it is not a neutral sweetener, but it complements the Virgina rather than overpowering the smoke. This is a tobacco that deserves to be smoked in sips, plenty of Virginia flavor with interesting and varying sweet notes. It burns completely down to the dottle with a minimal amount of tending. Highly recommended as a special treat for the Virginia lover. Paddy.

Together with G.Smith & Sons Old London 100% Virginia, this is a classic. It has a wonderful woody aroma, a clean tobacco taste, and its burning rate (when smoked properly) can make it last for a long time!

This is the first flake tobacco I tried (after a number of years of smoking 965, the ocassional Balkan Sobranie,and Amphora regular)and I became instantly hooked. I still smoke Latakia based mixtures (I've recently settled down with Davidoff's Royalty), but its good to change every now and then. When in the mood for a change, Dunhill's Light Flake allows a very smooth transition from the exotic sphere of Orientals to the more temperate Virginian zone.

IMO, Light Flake is a tobacco that produces a smooth and sober taste, elegant and joyful. It can be smoked both outdoors or indoors, and in the company of civilised people it does not seem to bother non-smokers.

I believe the term "light" is used in reference to the shade or hue of the leaf, rather than to its strength. It is a medium strength tobacco of a lighter shade than, say, Astley's 44 or Marlin Flake.

Addenddum (Mrach 05): The quality of Light Flake seems to have changed a bit in recent samples. It has a more perfumed taste (to the point one might think it is a casing or topping) and the general structure of the blends seems to be made out of a lower grade leaf. I still enjoy it very much, but like many blends it is not exactly of the same quality it used to be.

Eulenburg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Eulenburg (193)
Mild Medium to Strong Medium Pleasant

Other reviewers refer to my review of this tobacco, but my review has dropped off. There is definitely a program problem here.

I like this blend very much, but agree that they have loaded their hand a bit too much with the topping, lately. It tends to obscure the lovely sweet baked bread taste of the basic tobacco.

Pipeline Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipeline (206)
Mild None Detected Very Mild Pleasant

Update 2/05: Save your money and cure, ferment and age your lawn clippings to smoke. Your mulch will taste less sooty, too. No tins of LF are aging in my cellar and at no price is this worthy, presently, of my time. Whatever praise this elicited in the past is inconceivable in the present. Michael Jackson has struggled less with his identity than Dunhill is with LF.

emmbee Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
emmbee (174)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant

This is a quality Virginia flake tobacco that easily rubs out. It?s moist, flavorful & pleasingly aromatic. It has a lovely, deep amber color with lots of bird?s eye. It burns & behaves well and only requires a couple relights to keep it going for a long, pleasing smoke that lasts about an hour. Like all Dunhill products, you really can?t say anything bad about it. Unlike most flake/cake tobaccos, this one doesn?t sear my tongue. I prefer the aroma of the Stokkebye Navy Flake, but that is a hot, burning smoke if you puff too fast. Light Flake has a deep, plum, whiskey bouquet in the tin and a baked subtle room note. This is not nearly as excellent as the late, great Troost Slices, but it?s one of the best flakes currently available. The overall quality is honest, reliable & true. I smoke this about 2-3 times a week when I?m not in the mood for a heavy, spicy English or Oriental.

Three of five stars

Blade Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Blade (6)

Nice light, begins a little antsy dancy, citrusy to begin with. Kinda gets my attention and is fun-must be the lemon Virginia component kicking off.

Straight forward, the blends all work together to give a medium bodied flavorful taste.

Same a mid-bowl and that?s what I really like about this tobacco. There is no woody, muddy finish. Some other reviewers thought that boring. I say dependable.

I like this stuff, it?s a good all day straightforward tobacco. Not great, not a 5, but really good.

What I would like to add is that this blend really needs to be aired out from the tin. I have read reviews that mentioned ?casing?, soapy, bitey etc., and I think that?s the result of too moist a trial. I take a few flakes from the tin and lay them on the counter for a few hours, rub lightly and store the amount in a pouch.

IMHO the objections raised are the result of the natural fermenting process that goes on with the flaking process and go away with a little airing.

Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Tolerable

I know I already reviewed this: A very fine flake. Not for the novice. It is fairly dry right out of the tin and quite easy to crumble and pack. Somewhat difficult to light. If left fairly coarse it does burn a long time. Best in a smaller pipe. A high quality flake that is also a good value. Highly recommended.

Ian Weeks Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ian Weeks (36)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Very Pleasant

I entirely enjoy every aspect of this beautifully packaged, wonderfully made, and perfectly smoked tobacco. The blend lights perfect burns perfect all the way down the bowl which I might add is perfect for breaking in new pipes. I break in all my new pipes with this and Escudo. iannweeks@msn.com

Update: Outside this Thanksgiving Holiday Weekend I smoked many blends in many bowls, and the leaf that I kept so often clenched in my teeths friend the briar was Dunhill Light Flake.Because of the size of the tin it made easy traveling in the pocket of my coat and so I smoked bowl upon bowl of the stuff. Perhaps it was the snow everywhere, or the clo/uds in the sky. The taste and volume of smoke made this leaf seem perfect for the winter season.

It's not a complicated blend, it doesn't have layers of flavor. It maintains a consistancy that is a reminder of a perfectly fine winter day.

Florida Esquire Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Florida Esquire (7)

This has long been one of my absolute favorite tobaccos and one that I never, ever go without in my stockpile of tins. There's frankly not much that can be added to the volume of reviews already here, but it is definitely an outstanding smoke, perhaps amongst the finest in Dunhill's line. Clean, smooth, mild, pure tobacco - very high quality too. This is truly what smoking is meant to be about, perfect for virtually every occassion you can dream up as well. Always a pleasant experience, everytime with one of these bowls. If you've not done yourself the service of ever picking up a tin of this, definitely do it soon. You won't regret it.

English Bulldog Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
English Bulldog (10)
Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant

Although I have only purchased this in a pouch entitled "Dunhill Flake" I assume this is the same stuff as being reviewed here. I bought this after reading the lauding on here and is quite a change from Erinmore Flake! Upon opening the pouch one is not hit with aroma but it is much more subtle and smells more 'tobaccoey' than other more aromatic blends (if that makes any sense). I was in love from my first bowlful! From the beginning it smokes cool and sweet, although I cannot describe accurately what it tastes like, I would attempt to do so by saying that it seems to be a tobacco relatively unadulterated from added sweetners etc. I think it is a hearty, dependable tobacco which one could imagine being smoked by sailors (don't ask me why). I only have to relight about once, maybe twice and have never got tongue bite from this stuff which has a nice fine, white ash finish. I just smoked some this morning in the sun outside and was in a happy mood for the rest of the day. A constant delicious taste while smoked with no bitter/sour aftertaste, the flavour remains relatively the same throughout rather than becoming too tart near the end like some other blends. I thoroughly recommend Dunhill's light flake and can imagine it being a staple for many pipe smokers everywhere. There is no escaping the fact that this has a lot of nicotine in it, but then again man's best female friend is lady nicotine:) Thanks for your helpful reviews guys as I love this tobacco and will undoubtedly continue to do so in the future.

Medium Mild Mild Tolerable

One note first: "light" here is not for the nicotine content, but for the taste and the colour of the flakes, which is golden with darker brown bits. With this in mind, one can better understand the qualities of this tobacco. In my opinion, Dunhill is a specialist in English Mixtures: their Virginia tobaccos always leave something to be desired, from the slightly pungent Royal Yacht, to the berry flavored Three Years Matured, from the good but slightly overrated De Luxe Navy Rolls (Escudo), to this Light Flake. The rectangular flakes are at a perfect degree of moisture, drier than other similar offerings, and rather compact, but they crumble fairly easily. Tin aroma is very light, not overly sweet, with some cinnamon-like hints. The first impression is very watery and offers little taste: this is a delicate and smooth tobacco indeed, although the taste actually gets fairly stronger and sweeter as it reaches the bottom of the bowl. The soapy/flowery scent typical of some english Virginia flakes is not overwhelming, but still unpleasant to my taste buds. Personally I think that this tobacco has too little taste: it burns fine and slow, rarely bites and has a refined flavor, but I don't get much satisfaction from it. A quality product that might have appeal to a certain category of smokers, but I can't see why I should rave about it: my benchmark for Virginias still remains Rattray's! And even if I had to be confined to Dunhill, I'd pick the Navy Rolls instead.

LoisKelly Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
LoisKelly (55)
Mild Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I have eaten pastrami sandwiches at Katz' Deli (est. 1888, NYC) in 1964, '74, '84, '94, and '04. All were identical, not unexpectedly, since the manufacturing process has remained essentially unchanged for over a century.

The point? Don't mess with success. Don't let some bean counter change the yield at Chateau d'Yquem. Don't let marketing girlie up the Corvette any more than they already have. And for God's sake, leave the classic blends alone. There exists a rapidly dwindling list of things that keep us from going postal, and trifling with that list could spell the end of civilization.

So which is the greater sin- removing legendary blends from the marketplace (Capstan, Bengal Slices, Balkan Sobranie, etc.), or taunting us with a bounty of shameless impersonators? Somebody has screwed with Dunhill's Light Flake, and I am not at all pleased. A formerly wonderful blend has become suspect, so check your vintage carefully, as recent tins may not be what one expects.

Coming soon to a tobacconist near you- from the makers of Kiwi Lime Escudo, the all new and improved Three Nuns, now with avocado.

provguy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
provguy (52)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Dunhill Light Flake is a virginia tobacco that is a real joy to smoke. I have had to smoke it several times before coming to appreciate the subtle nuances and strengths of this tobacco. It certainly has a subtle spiciness to it and smokes like a virginia blend would be expected to. Straight forward tobacco flavor and nice flavor to boot. This however is not my first choice for a virginia however, but is definitely up there with Orlick Golden Slices(a milder tobacco) and Peacehaven and Royal Yacht. This is not a light tobacco as the name would suggest. Astleys #109 and several others would be what I reach for sooner. However a very enjoyable blend and I certainly will enjoy finishing this tin. 3 1/2 - 4 stars. ================update===================

I have left light flake and just tried it again and my opinion of it is evolving. I don't think of it as good but great. Smokes evenly and flavorful and slightly sweet. Great in the AM with you Java of choice. Will definitely continue enjoying this fine Dunhill virginia blend.

and smooth as something like Solani 633 but nowhere as strong and dark as something like Gawith's Full Virginia Flake. A nice, friendly Virginia.

Verdict: There is just no way that I can agree with this being called "light flake". However, other than that small syntactical misgiving, I very much enjoy this on occasion, and would heartily recommend it to a smoker of Virginia flakes who was looking to expand their repetoire. As for it being a gentle introductio nto the world of flake tobaccos, I doubt it.

CaptnDan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CaptnDan (242)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Very Pleasant

Dunhill Light Flake is a nice example of a very well done straight Virginia.

On opening the tin, I was greeted with a nice sweet grassy scent ? that freshly mown field aroma I love about Virginias. The coloring could possibly be why they called it light. Not that it is all that light, but maybe they did this to separate it from a stoved Virginia.

I prefer to rub out my flakes, and DLF rubbed out into a (mostly) narrow ribbon. The darker pieces were the exception. As I was rubbing it out I could smell the sweetness with just a hint of underlying spice.

DLF stays lit very easily, to the point that a couple of times the charring light took me all the way to the bottom of the bowl. It has to be smoked slowly? very slowly. But that?s fine, because it tastes best that way anyway! Of all the pipes I smoked it in, the narrow bowls proved to be the best.

The flavor is very honest Virginia from start to finish. There isn?t really any complexity to jump out at you, but if you pay very careful attention you will note the changes between the Lemon and Bronze leaf. It?s very subtle, but it?s there. The taste is sweet with a hint of spice wandering in and out, but always subtle.

Again, smoke slowly for maximum effect ? and to keep from frying your tongue. Virginias aren?t known for being forgiving. Treat it right, and it will be a treat. If you take your time and watch your technique, you will not be bitten. This is DEFINITELY NOT one for beginners. FWIW, I never detected the soap that others did.

Dunhill has maintained their reputation for top-shelf quality with Light Flake. Just don?t let the name fool ya!

Ratcat Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ratcat (30)
Very Strong None Detected Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Beside having a heavily flavored aromatic blend (Mac Baren Original Choice) in my take out pouch, I decided to switch to this for social gatherings. The aromatic is great for the person sitting next to you but I guess I wanted somehting that can be excellent for me as well. I usually rubbed half a tin's worth and pack it into my pouch. I found that after 2 days away from the tin, the tobacco even taste better.The flavor is so light and smooth and sweet, a perfect virginia it is. But don't let this fool you. It is still very high in terms of nic/tar content and if you are not carefull with it, you can have a bad bit. The most enjoyable part of this flake is the mid/end bowl puffed in a super slow manner. The flavor does not come jumping out from behind scarying you off the chair kind of satisfaction, but rather a gentle voice from the back of your thoughts saying 'everything is going to be alright' kind of feel. Oh and that creamy flavor of the smoke, it is produce by the tobacco itself. One might even be so bold to say that this was the reason why manufacture put casing on thier blends to mimic or enhance this effect 'un-natually'. This, I think, represents the elemental of smoking tobacco.

Zone Smoke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Zone Smoke (199)

Standard grassy smelling virgina that bites like hell. That about sums it up.

cruelraoul Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
cruelraoul (24)
Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Sight: The flakes are uniform and balanced; no surprises here.

Touch: Flakes are a little more moist than I like in a straight VA. I find rubbing them out considerably and allowing a little "air time" before packing provides my desired cooler smoke.

Taste: Not sure why this would be called a "light" flake. It is definitely medium on the taste/smell scale to me. The VA leaf is very balanced, and the subtly sweet smoke is very consistent from beginning to conclusion.

Smell: I enjoy the smell of straight VA, although this one definitely isn't an aromatic!

Conclusions: IMHO, there are definitely some better flakes out there, but this one is good enough to be worked into the routine. It doesn't overwhelm one with superlatives, but it also doesn't disappoint. I think this VA is a good VA for non-VA smokers...hmmm, does that make any sense?

howie Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
howie (46)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

About a year and a half ago, I came across two tins of this that were about 15 years old. Condition was good, seals were in good condition, and this is the result of the first of those tins.

Appearance: This tobacco comes in flakes that are about an inch wide and three inches long, with a mixture of medium and dark brown tobacco. The flakes in this tin were not capable of being rolled, but rather, crumble under handling. I assume this is a sign of the age. Crystals were present on the surface of the flakes.

The nose out of the tin is fresh and on the fruity side, as might be expected.

I generally fully rub out flakes, and this is no exception, by necessity as well as habit. The burning characteristics are good. It burns dry and fully.

This is a sweet blend to my taste, not as sweet as a few, more so than most. The room note is pleasant. I find that I have to take care with all straight Virginia blends, and this one is no exception. The early part of the bowl is somewhat light in flavor, but the sweetness is promising. The latter part of the bowl is the most enjoyable and deepens considerably.

This blend does not have the complexity that I enjoy in the tobaccos that I favor most, but it is enjoyable, albeit simple in flavor, readily available, and acceptable. I do not place this amongst my favorite blends, and prefer CR Light Flake for this light, yet slightly tangy VA.

Flavor: 70/100 Smoking characteristics: 90/100 Overall: 75/100.

January, 2004

DUPE.629 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Very Mild Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant

November-2003.Light Flake. A very pleasant light to medium smoke that provide's plenty of taste in a very pleasant not to suttle way.Anyone who want's to get away from cased aromatic's & try a very nice Virginia couldn't possibly go wrong with this one.Beginner's,take your time & don't puff fast!Though it has never bitten me,I don't wan't a newbie to be put off by puffing rapidly & getting a scorched tongue.Light's & behave's extremely well,burn's very cleanly all the way through leaving a nice clean looking ash.Can be smoked as an all day smoke very easily. I love Dunhill's M/M 965,Night Cap & Aperitif also,but as some of us know they are much stronger.But this is still a very excellent quality tobacco provided once again by Dunhill.

Medium Very Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

Does Dunhill make a blend with anything less than the highest quality? Even when I don't particularly like one of their tobaccos, I still have to admire the level of craftsmanship that goes into each one. One of my favorite reviewers on this site recently updated their review of this blend, and made the comment that it seemed that this blend came very heavily topped these days. I still decided to try it and found out that he was correct. I didn't care for the topping in the least, and found it distracting, and bitey as well. I put the tin up and promptly forgot about it for several months. When I came back to it grudgingly, I found that the topping strength was greatly reduced and that it had cooled considerably. The VA flavor was rich indeed and I have to say I ejoyed it a whole lot. This is one of the better VA's out there and I will keep a tin on hand (and opened!) for those VA occassions.

WxGuy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
WxGuy (95)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I hadn't had a bowl of Dunhill's Light Flake in a while, not being that much of a bright virginia kind of guy. However, I have been exploring the Lakeland flakes recently and thought I would give Alfred's unflavored LF a whirl.

One cannot help but be impressed with the quality presentation of LF, the flakes as intact as if they had just been custom cut for you. I guess this is one of the benefits that one gets with a tinned tobacco.This is clearly a quality tobacco- one would expect no less from Dunhill.

My tin had aged about 18 months since last exposure to the open air, and it had a great grassy bright virginia aroma. The cellar aging seemed to have mellowed the tobacco somewhat, tongue-bite wise, plus I am a more cautious flake smoker now days. There is less fruity sweetness to LF than to more stoved varieties e.g., navy flakes. Instead there is an slightly tangy sweetness. But mostly, a rich traditional tobacco taste.

I remember the first time I tried this thinking, "Well, this is nothing special". I am impressed at how much the aging has improved this tobacco, but... we all know that virginias in particular age well.. I will have to visit this tin more frequently, but most important, I must get another one aging. Soon.

Blackhorse Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Blackhorse (70)
Medium Mild Medium Tolerable

I have never smoked a Dunhill tobacco that I did not believe to be of the highest quality - this is no exception. I've stuffed fairly full flakes into medium and large capacity bowls and slogged through the winter with my retriever, windy and wet, with a smile. I've rubbed it out fully and gently puffed it in small capacity pipes to discover it's subtlties (and they are certainly there). But all this huff and puff about the NAME!?! Medium being light...light being medium...oh my...ad nausium. Boyos, it's simplicity itself. You see, the British tar has never been known to be the brightest of fellows...and so with special compassion and consideration, Dunhill (in addition to their own branding, of course) titled the flake...with directions for its use. End story.

Stan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Stan (135)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

I just smoked a full tin in a Dunill pipe of course. A bulldog dress pipe from Tim at Paylesspipes, I just smoked at my daughter's recent wedding (the "wedding pipe"). A very nice bright, golden flake, but not real light in taste (just in color). Slightly aromatic. The room aroma fades quickly.

It smokes dryer than McBaren's Virginia Flake and not as sweet (or wet), but sweet enough. It has more body than Germain's Medium Flake or G&H's Glengarry Flake, but is not quite as robust as Solani 633 virginia flake. No way near the heavier G&H line.

It does not have the heat or bite that some other golden va. flakes do. It does pick up some steam (strength) during the latter part of the smoke, so it is best not to rub it out fully to keep the burn slow near the end. Puff slowly of course.

I seems sweeter than the straight virginia leaf so I grant you it must be scented or flavored slightly, but you can still taste the golden virginia just underneath. A quality Dunhill smoke for those with a sweet tooth.

No problem in packing or lighting. Steady burning. Flakes are packed a bit odd in the tin (some twisted a bit), but they hold up pretty good when unloading and packing.

I couldn't identify the sweet fruity or citrusy flavor precisely, but it is not too much and goes well with the bright virginia leaf used. Not for all, but recommended to medium, sweet flake fanciers.

PaganBoyNC Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PaganBoyNC (8)

I just tried this tobacco, and I am impressed!

The taste is very clean, very sweet and pleasantly woody with no noticeable casing. It was crisp and refreshing. It was not at all bitter, burned remarkably cool/dry and I did not experience tongue-bite. I was also impressed that this tobacco did not become harsh or bitter toward the bottom of the bowl, but remained sweet and tasty. At no point did the taste become unpleasant or tiresome.

As someone who enjoys a properly done light aromatic, this is an impressive natural/english blend! It is full of flavor and did not taste at all harsh, the nicotine kick was fairly strong but not overwhelming. This is my new favorite smoke!

As for the room note, it was not incense-like the way some aromatics are but reminded me a bit of a campfire -- definitely less heady than some english blends, I don't think anyone would complain about the smell unless they disliked smoke in general. Fresh from the tin, it has a sweet/woody smell that is not at all musky.

thegooddoc Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
thegooddoc (2)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Very Mild Very Pleasant

I was quite excited when I first opened this tin of fine tobacco. This was my first experience with a pipe tobacco that didn?t come out of a [house-blend] jar at my local smoke shop. When I first opened the tin, I was very pleased to hear the vacuum seal ?hiss? as it was opened. This assured me that the seal was in tact. The first aroma from the cake was a tangy fig type of smell, with some lingering summer fruit aromas. At first I wasn?t sure if I had gotten myself into a ?casing-soaked? mess. I was truly shocked when the cake wasn?t wet, just the right amount of moisture. The flake easily rubbed into soft, long ribbons. I read somewhere that some folks just fold up the flake and pack it into the bowl. I did try this once and decided to never do it again. It just would not stay lit, and the aroma was less than favorable. After a quick fight convincing it to light (I wouldn?t recommend it for outdoor use because of this), it actually stayed lit easily. I only had to tamp down the ash twice. I did have to relight it once during the last half of the bowl, but it relit very easily. The aroma of this wonderful blend is quite pleasurable as it has a sweet, fruity scent to it. Non-smoking friends of mine commented that this blend didn?t ?push them away?. All in all, this will more than likely be the tobacco I take with me to public functions that I know non-smokers will be at. The only thing I did not like about it was the way it bit the back of my throat when I inhaled my draughts. The bite was not so bad as to burn me, or be overly annoying, but it was enough to bother me some after several bowls. In the overall look of this tobacco, I was quite pleased! The only complaint I have is the throat bite experience I had. Other than that, the blend, flavoring amount, aroma, and after taste was wonderful. I would highly recommend this to any beginner or experienced smoker who wants to change the pace with a light aromatic.

dangpipes Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
dangpipes (22)

While Dunhill has once again created a false impression with the name, they have also crafted another fine smoke. Certainly not a Light smoke, this tobacco has great flavor and a wonderful aftertaste. I found myself still enjoying the smoke for quite some time after it was over. It had a slight bite at first, but this mellowed out fairly quickly and the richness of the tobaccos asserted themselves. This is a great choice for an occasional change of pace or anytime that the rich lingering taste might be needed.

Nimrod Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Nimrod (29)
Medium None Detected Medium to Full Unnoticeable

Never having smoked anything but aromatics and relatively exotic blends, I decided I needed a change of pace. So I paid a visit to the local tobacconist and he suggested Dunhill Light Flake when I told him I wanted to try a flake cut tobacco.

This is the first pure virginia blend that I ever tried and I had to admit thinking "Just virginia? That sounds boring." Well, boy was I wrong. In short this stuff is great. I found it very sweet, smooth, and full of flavor. It burns well and doesn't bite much either.

I don't have much experience with Virginia blends but I know what I like and this is it.

ADDENDUM

After trying some nicer virginias (such as Hal o' the Wynd) and then smoking this again, I find that this stuff has an annoying soapy taste to it. I find this to be OK but no longer my favorite.

BriarNorth Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BriarNorth (49)

So you get the picture. Light Flake is a dependable member of my squad too. A full-enough flavored (despite the name) yet mellow smoke that rubs out easily, stays lit and tastes great. A solid performer whether you're mowing the lawn or sitting by the fire pondering life's mysteries. Can be smoked all day without bite or fatigue. Anyone trying Va flakes has to take a pit-stop here, even if you move on. I'm not without a tin for long.

Inquisitor Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Inquisitor (155)

(From a blind tobacco tasting group review)

Appearance: 3" flakes, pressed and stacked in the Lakeland style. Flexible, a bit moist for smoking, tightly pressed. 45% light, 40% brown or red, 15% black tobaccos (approximately, of course).

Tin Aroma: Fermented/steamed aromas with a spicy/savory smell that seems to be mostly natural tobac aroma with a mild, well-integrated top. I'm picking up a tangy apricot/dried peach flavor which I believe to be the topping. Also nuances of fresh bread and very mild bay leaf, which I think are natural tobacco aromas.

Smoke: Mostly if not completely Virginias, and I'm guessing non-U.S. based varieties. Sometimes the natural tobacco flavors came through, leaving me with a Samuel Gawith impression. Other times, the apricot-like topping seemed to dominate the blend. I like this blend, but it doesn't challenge my favorite Lakeland flakes. I won't be buying this, because there are too many excellent VAs out there. Still, no regrets on the smoke.

This rates an 80 out of 100 for me.

Hesam1980 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Hesam1980 (5)
Medium Strong Extremely Mild (Flat) Unnoticeable

When you open the pack you might go thinking YES!I found it!a great tobacco with lemon flavour...but when you smoke the 1st pot you get disapointed!although it has a stong flavour of lemon,there's no taste of lemon whn you smoke it nor there will be some lemon fragrant in the air!so i don't recommend this to any aromatic smoker like myself,it's waste of money to buy it & waste of time to clean your piep to get rid of the smell!

CJ Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CJ (45)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Tolerable

This is a quality flake. The flake size is about one inch wide by three inches long. The moisture content is close to perfect right from the tin. This is not a citrus like light Virginia. In fact, I believe it is called "Light Flake" from its color and appearance. In appearance, it is mainly light yellow with some brown components. It is definitely not light in either taste or nicotine content. Compared to other bright, lively, peppery Virginias, this is subtle, deep, and has more of a pure tobacco taste. I have a problem with the first quarter of a bowl. It has little flavor, and is a bit grassy. After that it starts to settle down. The pure tobacco flavor gathers strength. The nicotine starts to build. By mid bowl, it becomes a strong, straight tobacco blend with plenty of nicotine. For me, it completely changes from the top of the bowl to the bottom. I've never experienced a blend that changes so much during the smoke. In fact, this "Light Flake" will best be appreciated by those that lean towards strong blends with a heavy tobacco presence and a strong nicotine content. It might be a bit too strong for beginners. It finishes with a lot of strength, and leaves a very small amount of dark gray ash. And, it does not bite.

JoeBriar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JoeBriar (10)

Smells of banana candy - like an aromatic, but this is natural, and...

This can be an enjoyable smoke if smoked slowly otherwise your tongue will sizzle! Although a bit one-dimensional, this is fine for a change of pace.

What makes it Light? Not the color since this is a mixture of yellow to darker brown VAs and certainly not the overall strength. I'd guess that the tin aroma is from added flavoring although it might be a unique VA tobacco or processing technique. This disappears upon lighting and an exceptionally cool, mild, natural smoke results. Easily packed, it burns evenly without the need for relights. I don't rub out my flakes and this one has a tendency to feather on the edges when removing the slices from the tin. This left many small bits and pieces towards the end of the tin which smoked rather harshly. Overall, an enjoyable smoke that could be used all day.

lustra Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
lustra (170)
Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant

I hate to disagree with the foregoing reviewers, especially the esteemed Eulenberg, but in my estimation Light Flake is a fatally flawed tobacco. Why? That damned soapy taste, which persists through at least the second relight. Like Peterson's Sherlock Holmes, DLF is a beautifully made, beautifully cut flake ruined by that weird lathering of sudsy taste that British tobaccos sometimes have. (Whose idea was this, anyway?) DLF smokes beautifully, too. A crime! Sigh... back to Marlin Flake, which I can count on to taste like tobacco, not Ivory.

rjm Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
rjm (10)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I heartily agree with the great Eulenburg on this one. This is a wonderful flake, one of the best I've ever tasted. The flavor of this is very reminsicent of Peterson's Sherlock Holmes blend. I don't know if it's the Brazilian or Mysore tobacco which gives these two blends their distinctive tang, but whatever it is, i love it! This has a full tobacco flavor and punch with absolutely no bite. One could easily smoke it all day.

The name is perhaps a little unfortunate because "light" sounds a little wimpy and there is nothing wimpy about this stuff. This is a hearty, full flavored tobacco which every virginia lover should try. Many thanks to Murray's for yet another outstanding tobacco.