Director's Cut… If you are talking about traditional tobacco blending, twisted tobacco has to be mentioned. In former times, tobacco was spun into an endless roll and then cut in order to increase durability. Nowadays this special production process only plays a significant role with regard to taste. The traditional Virginia/Perique Curly Cut forms its basis, being in prime condition as a rope, before cut into curlies. The very expressive and sweet Virginia grades in connection with a strong Perique core of the Curly Cuts make an interesting blend, together with the Burley grades and the sugary Virginia Loose Cut. Underlining the robust and elemental character of this Director's Cut, a whiff of fire-cured Virginia renders the final touch to this blend. The result is a slightly sweet and spicy blend, surprising with tremendous varieties in taste. The Director's Cut is attractive for those who are looking for the very special taste adventure. …strong, spicy, multi-layered

Notes: Although it includes a touch of burley and matured kentucky (instead of the more common 'bullseye' core of cavendish in similar brands), this is primarily a VaPr blend in character.

BrandHU Tobacco
Blended ByHans Wiedemann
Blend TypeVirginia/Perique
ContentsBurley, Kentucky, Perique, Virginia
CutCurly Cut
Packaging100gr tin
Pleasant, Pleasant to Tolerable

I'm not comparing this to the Vaper Bell's Three Nuns, but there have been times as I've smoked a bowl that I got a sense of that flavor. I think there's a little more perique and certainly more burley here than either the old or new Three Nuns. This is also a stronger smoke with more variety of flavors, all of which are amazingly wonderful. The Virginias are boldly earthy with some citrus and a dried fruit note. The perique is spicy and raisin/fig-like, so it's very complimentary without dominating the other tobaccos. The Kentucky is a tasty woody, lightly nutty presence, at just the right amount to notice. Depending on how you stack the tobacco in the bowl, the flavor will change as you smoke it down. Sweet, spicy and a little sour at various times from puff to puff, there's not a weak or bad puff ever. Because it is very complex, the bigger the bowl you smoke it in, the more you will value the experience. One of the many things I really enjoy is that this has a full rounded smoke and doesn't overwhelm you any. Burns slow, clean and cool with no dull or harsh moments, and leaves very little moisture in the bowl.

Wibblefishofdoom Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Wibblefishofdoom (122)

I managed to acquire a generous sample of this, perhaps an ounce or more, as a result of a trade via I hadn't really been expecting it as part of the package I received and I hadn't even heard of it so it was a pleasant surprise to gain a tobacco that I had no preconceived notions about.

The aroma is very much like the smoke, wafts of figs or raisins as noted before and a lot of creaminess. The curly cut is easy to rub out, making packing a breeze and one light will do the trick. The flavour remains pretty constant throughout the smoke and is hugely enjoyable. The moisture levels must just be perfect in this one as there is no gurgling whatsoever. The fine ash at the end makes for a clean emptying of the bowl.

This is probably far from the best review I have ever done on here but, to be honest, I don't think any review could do this justice, it is such a marvelous tobacco. Despite being a complete and utter Lat-head, I have being exploring VaPs these past few months and I've come across some good ones, some okay ones and some disappointing ones. This one is amongst, not just a good VaP or even a great one, it's a great tobacco full stop. It's just a shame that a cursory look on the internet reveals this one to be unavailable in the UK, otherwise it would be a regular.

Weisenheimer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Weisenheimer (18)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I only can second the previous reviewers.

Director's Cut is indeed a quite "innovative" blend, reflecting the blending talent of HU-Tobacco.

Having approx. 50% VaPer-Curlies, this blend is far away from being a "tamed" 3 Nuns, sort of. The addition of various well-chosen Virginias and some Burley/Kentucky makes it a blend which stands for its own.

Spicy, creamy, full in taste, with mild "peppery" taste-notes from the Perique, this blend smokes very fine right out of the tin, but at the same time promises to wonderfully age as well ! Your Turn !

There is really something special going on at Hans Wiedemann's HU-Tobacco. Director's Cut is another outstanding blend coming from this micro tobacco company. As other's have noted, DC looks a lot like Three Nuns in the tin. The smell is heavenly as the nose is greeted with the scent of raisins, figs and hay. There are some similarities to the current version of Three Nuns; however this blend (IMHO) is much better. It has body, just the right amount of perique, a little burley to round things out. Director's Cut is pleasantly sweet, a little spicy and a tiny bit sour, but in a good way. There are a lot of complex flavors in Director's Cut. As one other esteemed reviewer pointed out, the taste changes throughout each bowl. I find that the Burley takes over toward the end of the bowl as the blend becomes less sweet, but not bitter. I found it most flavorful in a small bowl Morrisette dedicated to VaPers. This blend should age wonderfully. The challenge will be not to smoke it up beforehand. The only downside is the cost. If you are ordering from North America the cost can be nearly double of other tobaccos in its class. Is it worth it? Yes, every single penny! Very Highly Recommended!

smoking-rob Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
smoking-rob (70)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant

According to Hans, this is his best blend yet. This treat comprises 55% Vaper curlies, White Burley, pressed Kentucky and pressed Virginia and a bit of firecured Virginia. Comparisons have already been made to the Original Three Nuns and I can taste where that is coming from: fans of that blend, as well as admirers of the late and lamented Dunhill Elizabethan Mixture, will find great pleasure in Director's Cut. But the recipe is not the same, nor is the taste: there is a lot more going on in DC besides Vaper curlies. It is a fairly strong Vaper that is smoothed out by "an extremely expensive Burley" (according to Hans) and for variety in taste, some fine Virginia grades and a firecured Virginia. This yields a very harmonious smoke, rich in taste varieties, every puff slightly different to the previous one. Director's Cut will become a future classic!

Cumarinophil Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Cumarinophil (104)

When I first opened my tin of Director’s Cut, I thought this was nothing but Orlik’s version of Three Nuns resurrected. I was wrong. While the small curls in the mix are similar in appearance, the fire cured VAs and pretty high amount of Perique (Hans is known for) contribute a spiciness and complexity seldom to be found elsewhere. DC is a strong tobacco with distinct notes of pepper from the Perique, accompanied by subtle notes of wood, fire (Kentucky) and natural VA sweetness. To me this blend is slightly piquant in a very pleasing way, but never bity or overwhelming.

There is so much to experience here, every bowl size and shape seems to change the interplay of the ingredients a little. So does a charcoal filter, the use of which reduces complexity and strength significantly in my opinion.

If you are a fan of Three Nuns, MB Stockton, MB HH Acadian Perique, C&D Cajun Kake or even Barbary Coast (although all of those are very different), the HU Director’s Cut is highly recommended to you to try. If you like tobaccos that remind you of ancient times (at least that’s what it does to me) and you also want to actually taste and feel Perique, this is your blend.

Pipe Used: Various briars with and without filter

samcoffeeman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
samcoffeeman (32)

Here goes my initial review of Director's Cut:

It comes in a 100g tin with an interesting pop lid feature which is recloseable. I don't believe this is vacuum sealed but it is airtight so far as I can tell.

The tin aroma is a little sweet/fruity, a little spice with an afternote of smoke. The smoke note is most interesting, it is different than latakia leaf aroma, very light but noticeable right at the end of a sniff, perhaps contributed by the fire cured Virginia.

The cut is one of a kind. As noted from the description, the base is the curly cut, which are quite small, perhaps 1/2"-3/4" diameter. Also mixed in is the Virginia loose cut as well as some broken flake, which I imagine is the fire cured virginia. This will make for perhaps some flavor variation depending on which parts you pack more of in a bowl.

It does not come very moist but the fresh smoke revealed it did need a bit more drying time. I dried it for a couple hours, occasionally stirring the cuts to expose them to the air.

I packed up a Grant's Tanshell straight bulldog, which has a wide open draw and has been a good smoker for me. I grabbed a couple random pinches with the different cuts mixed in and finished off the top with some of the loose cut. The tobacco lights easily with an initial sweet flavor, one good char and then a true light. Gee, I packed the Virginia loose cut on top and that is what I tasted first. The virginias are very good quality, sweet and more to the golden color that I like. In the first third, I'm tasting mostly the loose cut virginia sweetness with perhaps a little citrus, and then a background flavor begins to come into play. Must be my first coin burning! In the second third, there is a richer deeper flavor developing. I get my first sneeze, which is an indicator of perique for me. The up front sweetness is dwindling while the deep notes are growing. I begin to notice the nicotine a little. In the last third, the burley starts to impart it's typical nuttiness, which I quite enjoy in this case. I don't particularly enjoy a whole bowl of nuttiness but it melds well in this, coming in the last third and mingling with the deep/rich notes that started in the second third. I don't have a complete grasp on the nuance flavors yet, without enough experience with the blend yet. Just to re-emphasize, due to the different cuts, this will vary from bowl to bowl depending on how you pack it. I did really enjoy it with a little of the ribbon on top which kickstarted the bowl with the Va sweetness and made it easy to light. I give it a medium/medium on the flavor/nic scale. Excellent burn characteristics, and easy on the tongue. This blend is every bit as good as the initial reviews have promised. I give it 3 stars, although it is probably worth 4 but I don't give 4 stars until I've had enough experience to merit a 4 star blend.

Pipe Used: Grant's Tanshell, Dunhill lovat

Purchased From: HU

Based on a small sample from an internet friend (thanks, friend!) - about 3 bowls worth. Not enough to get a full grip on the blend but enough to post my thoughts. As others have said, this is a curly cut - basic browns with an interesting bag aroma I couldn't place. Not prototypical VaPer, exactly, but still familiar. It came to me mostly rubbed out so that's how I loaded it. But would love to buy a tin and experiment further.

Lighter on the perique (but I'm not very sensitive to it, so amounts have to be high for me to notice) but a nice run up and down the Virginia spectrum, from sweetness to tangy richness. The burley, Kentucky and dark-fired VA lend a nice heart of darkness to what may otherwise have been a run of the mill blend. This darkness was spicy and robust, while not overtaking the basic "VaPer-ness" of the blend. A bit thin in mouthfeel but with an interesting take on what we call complexity. Complex enough to be interesting but not so much as to be vulgar. I enjoyed this blend to perhaps a 3.5 star level but am going to try to get more because I definitely did not discover all this blend has to offer IMHO.

Pipeliner Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipeliner (12)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Pleasant

After I heard about the new blends of Hans, I bought 2 tins of Edward G. and of the Director`s Cut.I opened the Director`s Cut a few days ago and I`m really happy with my purchase. The looking of the DC is really great. The tobacco contains parts of different flakes and really nice looking curlies. The tin smell is light sweet and a bit sour. I think this is the smell of the perique. The tobacco is easy to pack and burns very well.The taste is not easy to discribe because the taste is constantly changing. One puff I taste the Vaper and the next puff I feel the burley and the kentucky.It is really an interesting smoke because the various flavour nuances are always creamy and round. I don´t know if the DC is comparable with the old Three Nuns. But it dosn`t matter. I think the DC is an independent high class tobacco. In my opinion the DC is the best blended tobacco of Hans. And that is not easy to say if I think of the quality of the tobaccos from Hans. Let me say it in a short way: The DC is my Christmas surprise.

Käpt`n Cook Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Käpt`n Cook (15)

The Director`s Cut is one of the new blends of HU Tobacco. This blend contains a very characterfully VAPER Curly Cut mixed with Burley, Kentucky, Virginia and a touch of a firecured strong Virginia. The smell and the looking of this blend is very nice and makes loss to fill the pipe. The taste is a mix between the sweetness of the Virginia a bit spiciness of the Kentucky and the sweet - sour Perique. But you can`t taste the individual components, no the taste is a genial balance of all components. The taste is very subtle and exciting and this blend reminds me to the old Three Nuns. The tobacco burns very well and the DC is no lightweight of nicotine, but a very nice blend for the afternoon or evening. In the meantime I smoked one tin and I must say - the DC is for me the tobacco of the year. I think I store a few tins in the cellar to age them. In the future I don´t want to miss this blend in my house. The DC has the making a classic. Two thumbs up ! Highly recommended

Ib Fagerlund PRDK Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ib Fagerlund PRDK (2)

This is one of the best VA blends I have smoked in recent years. It just has this mellow and slightly sweet and nutty Virginia flavor I love, which used to be the standard for any good VA blend until 5-10 years ago, and is almost impossible to find these days. On top of that, is reveals the piquant notes of a lovely, spicy Perique and a hint of very fine Kentuckey. No tongue bite here, just a full and mellow aroma of good tobacco. Highly recommended!

Pipe Used: Ferndown Silver Spigot