Director's Cut… If you are talking about traditional tobacco blending, twisted tobacco has to be mentioned. In former times, tobacco was spun into an endless roll and then cut in order to increase durability. Nowadays this special production process only plays a significant role with regard to taste. The traditional Virginia/Perique Curly Cut forms its basis, being in prime condition as a rope, before cut into curlies. The very expressive and sweet Virginia grades in connection with a strong Perique core of the Curly Cuts make an interesting blend, together with the Burley grades and the sugary Virginia Loose Cut. Underlining the robust and elemental character of this Director's Cut, a whiff of fire-cured Virginia renders the final touch to this blend. The result is a slightly sweet and spicy blend, surprising with tremendous varieties in taste. The Director's Cut is attractive for those who are looking for the very special taste adventure. …strong, spicy, multi-layered

Notes: Although it includes a touch of burley and matured kentucky (instead of the more common 'bullseye' core of cavendish in similar brands), this is primarily a VaPr blend in character.

BrandHU Tobacco
Blended ByHans Wiedemann
Blend TypeVirginia/Perique
ContentsBurley, Kentucky, Perique, Virginia
CutCurly Cut
Packaging100gr tin
Strength
Taste

I'm not comparing this to the Vaper Bell's Three Nuns, but there have been times as I've smoked a bowl that I got a sense of that flavor. I think there's a little more perique and certainly more burley here than either the old or new Three Nuns. This is also a stronger smoke with more variety of flavors, all of which are amazingly wonderful. The perique is spicy and raisin/fig-like, so it's very complimentary without dominating the other tobaccos. The Kentucky is a tasty presence, at just the right amount to notice. Depending on how you stack the tobacco in the bowl, the flavor will change as you smoke it down. Sweet, spicy and a little sour at various times from puff to puff, there's not a weak or bad puff ever. Because it is very complex, the bigger the bowl you smoke it in, the more you will value the experience. One of the many things I really enjoy is that this has a full rounded smoke and doesn't overwhelm you any. I sure wish it was available for sale in the US. One of the best tobacco mixtures I've ever smoked.

Wibblefishofdoom Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Wibblefishofdoom (111)

I managed to acquire a generous sample of this, perhaps an ounce or more, as a result of a trade via PSF.com. I hadn't really been expecting it as part of the package I received and I hadn't even heard of it so it was a pleasant surprise to gain a tobacco that I had no preconceived notions about.

The aroma is very much like the smoke, wafts of figs or raisins as noted before and a lot of creaminess. The curly cut is easy to rub out, making packing a breeze and one light will do the trick. The flavour remains pretty constant throughout the smoke and is hugely enjoyable. The moisture levels must just be perfect in this one as there is no gurgling whatsoever. The fine ash at the end makes for a clean emptying of the bowl.

This is probably far from the best review I have ever done on here but, to be honest, I don't think any review could do this justice, it is such a marvelous tobacco. Despite being a complete and utter Lat-head, I have being exploring VaPs these past few months and I've come across some good ones, some okay ones and some disappointing ones. This one is amongst, not just a good VaP or even a great one, it's a great tobacco full stop. It's just a shame that a cursory look on the internet reveals this one to be unavailable in the UK, otherwise it would be a regular.

Weisenheimer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Weisenheimer (17)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I only can second the previous reviewers.

Director's Cut is indeed a quite "innovative" blend, reflecting the blending talent of HU-Tobacco.

Having approx. 50% VaPer-Curlies, this blend is far away from being a "tamed" 3 Nuns, sort of. The addition of various well-chosen Virginias and some Burley/Kentucky makes it a blend which stands for its own.

Spicy, creamy, full in taste, with mild "peppery" taste-notes from the Perique, this blend smokes very fine right out of the tin, but at the same time promises to wonderfully age as well ! Your Turn !

There is really something special going on at Hans Wiedemann's HU-Tobacco. Director's Cut is another outstanding blend coming from this micro tobacco company. As other's have noted, DC looks a lot like Three Nuns in the tin. The smell is heavenly as the nose is greeted with the scent of raisins, figs and hay. There are some similarities to the current version of Three Nuns; however this blend (IMHO) is much better. It has body, just the right amount of perique, a little burley to round things out. Director's Cut is pleasantly sweet, a little spicy and a tiny bit sour, but in a good way. There are a lot of complex flavors in Director's Cut. As one other esteemed reviewer pointed out, the taste changes throughout each bowl. I find that the Burley takes over toward the end of the bowl as the blend becomes less sweet, but not bitter. I found it most flavorful in a small bowl Morrisette dedicated to VaPers. This blend should age wonderfully. The challenge will be not to smoke it up beforehand. The only downside is the cost. If you are ordering from North America the cost can be nearly double of other tobaccos in its class. Is it worth it? Yes, every single penny! Very Highly Recommended!

Pipeliner Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipeliner (12)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Pleasant

After I heard about the new blends of Hans, I bought 2 tins of Edward G. and of the Director`s Cut.I opened the Director`s Cut a few days ago and I`m really happy with my purchase. The looking of the DC is really great. The tobacco contains parts of different flakes and really nice looking curlies. The tin smell is light sweet and a bit sour. I think this is the smell of the perique. The tobacco is easy to pack and burns very well.The taste is not easy to discribe because the taste is constantly changing. One puff I taste the Vaper and the next puff I feel the burley and the kentucky.It is really an interesting smoke because the various flavour nuances are always creamy and round. I don´t know if the DC is comparable with the old Three Nuns. But it dosn`t matter. I think the DC is an independent high class tobacco. In my opinion the DC is the best blended tobacco of Hans. And that is not easy to say if I think of the quality of the tobaccos from Hans. Let me say it in a short way: The DC is my Christmas surprise.

Käpt`n Cook Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Käpt`n Cook (15)

The Director`s Cut is one of the new blends of HU Tobacco. This blend contains a very characterfully VAPER Curly Cut mixed with Burley, Kentucky, Virginia and a touch of a firecured strong Virginia. The smell and the looking of this blend is very nice and makes loss to fill the pipe. The taste is a mix between the sweetness of the Virginia a bit spiciness of the Kentucky and the sweet - sour Perique. But you can`t taste the individual components, no the taste is a genial balance of all components. The taste is very subtle and exciting and this blend reminds me to the old Three Nuns. The tobacco burns very well and the DC is no lightweight of nicotine, but a very nice blend for the afternoon or evening. In the meantime I smoked one tin and I must say - the DC is for me the tobacco of the year. I think I store a few tins in the cellar to age them. In the future I don´t want to miss this blend in my house. The DC has the making a classic. Two thumbs up ! Highly recommended

smoking-rob Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
smoking-rob (68)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant

According to Hans, this is his best blend yet. This treat comprises 55% Vaper curlies, White Burley, pressed Kentucky and pressed Virginia and a bit of firecured Virginia. Comparisons have already been made to the Original Three Nuns and I can taste where that is coming from: fans of that blend, as well as admirers of the late and lamented Dunhill Elizabethan Mixture, will find great pleasure in Director's Cut. But the recipe is not the same, nor is the taste: there is a lot more going on in DC besides Vaper curlies. It is a fairly strong Vaper that is smoothed out by "an extremely expensive Burley" (according to Hans) and for variety in taste, some fine Virginia grades and a firecured Virginia. This yields a very harmonious smoke, rich in taste varieties, every puff slightly different to the previous one. Director's Cut will become a future classic!