A mixture of golden, red and dark Virginia tobaccos blended with Burley and Black Cavendish. Enhanced with flavourings of Macadamia nuts, coconut and rum.

BrandPeterson
Taste

Sasquatch Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sasquatch (65)
Medium to Strong Medium Medium to Full Tolerable

Really interesting. When I first opened it, I thought "Oh, here's another aromatic from Peterson, whoopdeedoo." It has a very strong tin note, fruity, rummy, nutty.

In the pipe, this stuff is wonderful. I get the rum, but this smokes more like a dark flake than a Danish type aromatic. Really, if they'd called this Peterson Navy Blend it would be appropriate I think.

I enjoy big pipefuls of this when I can't decide between an aromatic and a "serious" tobacco. This is kind of a go-between.

Very good blend, and kind of unique. No bite, decent strength, and certainly a very tasty blend.

H Gillman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
H Gillman (32)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild Very Pleasant

Yet another nice blend from Peterson. Tin aroma was sweet yet not fake or off-putting. It smelled quite edible. Initial draw after charring, tamping then lighting was beautiful. The taste and aroma filled the air like moms baking filled the kitchen way back when....you know .... That smell that made you smile and breathe in all you could.

I tasted dried fruit and a hint of nuttiness on my tongue and in my nose.

Mid bowl was mellow and maintained a good smoke without re-lighting. The last few draws we're mellow and sweet and nicer tasting then the first.

Never have I felt disappointment when finishing off a smoke like this one....I was not ready for it to end. This blend is why I smoke a pipe, it is so nice that I savour each and every draw.

My favourite thus far and I would most definitely recommend you try a bowl.

Pipe Used: Peterson 313 P-Lip

Purchased From: Online

Scotty42 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Scotty42 (5)
Medium Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

WENT TO MY LOCAL PIPE/CIGAR STORE TO BUY SOME PETERSON UNIVERCITY FLAKE BUT THEY WERE SOLD OUT. NOT WANTING TO GO HOME EMPTY HANDED, I FIGURED I'D GIVE THE NUTTY CUT A GO. BOY AM I GLAD I DID!! THE TIN NOTE WAS WONDERFULL. RUM, NUTTY & A SWEET TANG. NICE SMOOTH RICH FLAVOR OF NUTS & RUM. NOT SO MUCH OF COCONUT. SLIGHT MAYBE? NO BITE!!!!!!! ROOM NOTE.....AMAZING!! MY WIFE SAID THE BEST AROMA OF ANY TOBACCO I'VE EVER SMOKED. THIS ONE IS WITHOUT A DOUBT NEAR THE TOP OF MY ROTATION ALONG WITH "HOBBITS WEED" & SCOTTY'S BUTTERNUT BURLEY.

Mild Very Mild Very Mild Pleasant

I am a big fan of Irish Flake, have enjoyed Holiday Season 2012, and decided to try some of the other Peterson offerings. Upon opening the tin there was a very colorful offering of ribbon cut leaf with a pleasing tin note. I was able to smell the rum and coconut but not the Macadamia Nut. Moisture level was right for smoking and I had no problem with lighting or keeping the fire going. I could taste the coconut and rum throughout the smoke, albeit way milder than with HS '12. There was a nut like flavor that wafted in and out but I wouldn't have guessed Macadamia if I didn't know beforehand. It didn't smoke too hot for being so fresh nor was there any bite or moisture buildup. It managed to maintain a subtle sweetness throughout and it did have some tobacco presence, but it was way milder than HP and HS '12. Very nice for an occasional aromatic smoke. rRecommended with 3 stars, but my taste buds favor stronger fare like Irish Flake.

Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

Peterson Nutty Cut . First thought when this is opened is "fabulous" , it appears to be mostly Burley and Virginia with about 20% Black Cavendish , it is not dry nor damp and gives off a lovely aroma which is predominantly Rum with a sweetness there as well . The cut of the pieces is fairly uniform , all about half a cm long with a few differing in size . Lighting this one is very easy , mine takes only two short touches with the flame and once lit it is incredibly steady in its burn , it stays lit and doesn't desist in its burn unless left un-attended . Flavour now , the flavour is quite a delight ! Unlike the smell unlit the Rum is too not omnipotent , it actually just gives a pleasant Rum like sweetness to the blend . The taste of the the Macedemia is quite faint , but detectable if looked for , whereas the Coconut is a little easier to notify . The Tobaccos are of a nice equilibrium , I get more of the Burley and Virginia's hay/Cigarette note whilst there is a subtle sweet touch from the smaller amount of Black Cav' . The room note is a very standard Virginia one for me , lacking many additives . Vitamin N is the best point with this (for me) , it is about Peterson De Luxe Mix strength and by inhaling the smoke the flavours are embellished by exhaling through the nose . In all a superb Aromatic that is not harsh , strong or sickly but more delicate and refined ! 4 stars !

Pipe Used: Butz Choquin

Purchased From: Smoke King

Cultured Explorer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Cultured Explorer (7)

I almost gave this blend only 2 stars, but decided that my initial experience with it merited one more. I'm not a particularly big fan of aromatics, but this is the first one that I really enjoyed. In fact, I had bought the tin 2 years ago, but not opened it after practically giving up on aromatics. However, at first puff, I was like, "whoa! What have I been missing?!" I used it to break in a Peterson System Standard pipe, and it smoked extremely sweet for the next two bowls. However, after some time, I grew tired of it, and even began to dislike it and its smell. I gave away about the last third of the tin. That is why only 3 stars.

Häxan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Häxan (3)
Medium Medium Medium Very Pleasant

This is one of my favorite tobaccos! Such a mild smoke you can smoke quite a few bowls of it with little to no bite.

When I was first introduced to this tobacco I was so impressed that I thought I would never find another tobacco that could take it's place.

This is a tobacco that has a lightness and sweetness like angel cake vs heavy chocolate cake (I do like both mind you). Do not expect this to be a strong intense smoke. It is not for those who crave a ultra sweet and powerful bang. This is for us that like mild and elegant flavors.

Nutty cut does not have an overpowering coconut taste and smell, infact it's a pretty light aroma and flavor. I do not get the sense of coconut when smoking this. But more of an organic earthy aroma of warm baked nutty muffins.

Nutty Cut will always be one fo my favorites!

USA_Traveller Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
USA_Traveller (7)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

I had to check my notes to be certain: this appears to be a close relative of (if not identical to) Peterson's Special Reserve Limited Edition from 2007. According to the labels from both, it is the same tobacco and the same aromatics. I've smoked a lot of tobacco since then, but I remember that I really liked the Special Reserve blend from 2007. And missed it once my two tins were finished.

With some reservations, I purchased a tin to see. Upon opening it, by olfactory memory fired up and confirmed that this was just about the same. And as before, I like it very much. In addition, the room note is very pleasant as well.

So I am very happy to see this "return". It may not be exactly the same, but it's close enough for "government work"!

Thanks, Peterson!

If you want to see my notes on this aromatic blend from 2007 (or its very close cousin), see my review of Special Reserve Limited Edition 2007.

Geronimo Von Klaus Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Geronimo Von Klaus (57)
Medium Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This is ok.

Its caught somewhere between an all-out aromatic, and a navy blend, and as such its kinda neither.

In my mind, this is more of an aromatic. The smoke is fragrant, and although you certainly do get the tobacco taste, its very much the aroma and flavorings of the dark rum and nuts that comes through most. The tobacco is in the background.

However, the mere fact that as the bowl goes on and the flavoring steps aside for the tobacco to come on strong means that there is an argument to be made for this being a navy tobacco. The fact that it is ribbon and not flake may stop that, but still, it can be considered.

So, good, not great, but for me the fact that its not really either of the above in any serious way makes you scratch your head a bit and think throughout the bowl that its nowhere near as good as really shining examples of either.

Chris66 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Chris66 (9)
Very Mild Extremely Mild Very Mild Very Pleasant

Lovely tin note, but thats all ! Too weak, hardly any taste, no nicotine ! I normally smoke strong English blends, so perhaps my palate is a bit too desensitised for a RR aromatic. Might be ok for a newbie ! Will use the remains as a bulk in my tobacco mixing shenanigans.

Pipe Used: MM Corn Cob

Age When Smoked: 1 month, then 6 months.

Purchased From: Turmeaus cigars shop. UK. Liverpool.

Similar Blends: Smoking a burnt out empty pipe !.

ThePortlyGenie Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ThePortlyGenie (12)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium Very Pleasant

Macadamia nuts and dark brown sugar (rum) - favourites of mine at any time. A blend with which I re-started my piping earlier this year, the taste of REAL tobacco is easy to separate from the casings/flavours - seems a bit of 'irish' temperament surfaced in the blenders [Kohlhase & Kopp??]. Subtle but firm are the individual contributions of Va and Cav - the burley is probably hidden by the flavourings it is enhancing. A most pleasant smoke - recommended highly

Pipe Used: Falcon bent, Peterson churchwarden

Purchased From: Sol Levy, George Street Sydney Australia

midna Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
midna (3)
Very Mild Extremely Mild Mild Very Pleasant

I am somewhat puzzled as to why this is called "Nutty Cut" because there was no nuttiness to any aspect of the tobacco, lit or unlit.

In the tin the leaf smells quite tangy- the virginias, I assume- with the Burleys in the background. There's a little earthiness or woodiness but this is a very dry note. No rum but a tiny bit of dates/ raisins/ pulses/ lentils. Maybe the slightest hint of coconut but I feel this is largely my imagination from the description on the tin.

A good moisture content out of the tin, but does get very wet when smoked. Nasty tobacco juice was a huge problem with this one. Keep some pipe cleaners handy to run down the stem every few minutes. Really considering popping a filter in next time I smoke (not something I've ever considered but this was awful on the moisture front).

Acidic tasting. Kind of like a "gone off" sweetness. Bites whichever way you smoke it, very bitter and hot. Sip slowly with this one. Very strong aftertaste on the tongue, too. Would advise smoking this with a cup of tea or coffee.

When smoked in a corncob I did get a little toasty/ roasted nutty flavour but I fear this was either my tongue or the bowl of my poor pipe.

It's only redeeming feature is a very enjoyable retrohale (through the nose). This is where all the flavour is hiding. Quite rummy/ fruity and not tangy or unpleasant at all.

Overall I feel like the pleasure in this smoke is not for the smoker! It's a great experience for people in the vicinity. Wonderful room note. Might be interesting for a newbie to sit and watch you try to smoke this because you will be using every tool you can lay your hands on to keep this bowl smokeable...

MyPipeAndBook Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
MyPipeAndBook (9)
Very Mild None Detected Very Mild Pleasant

It always troubles me when I read a Tin of tobacco and see all the wonderful flavors that are SUPPOSED to be in the blend and simply ARE NOT. This is a tasteless tobacco and a waste of a $10 bill. Smoke your pipe empty...you'll get the same results.

Mild Medium Mild Pleasant

Hmmmm. Very beautiful tin aroma, a bit overwhelming at first. The next day, it has significantly reduced. A lot of coarse cut, from the Golden VAs. When smoked, it is bland, I cannot taste any tobacco and there is no strength to it.

Planet Scott Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Planet Scott (12)

Nice nutty and sweet flavor, but not cloying sweet. Slow starting but after it gets going, burns nice with no tongue bite.

Sons of Reagan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sons of Reagan (7)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium Very Pleasant

A really nice smoke! Apon opening the tin there is a wonderful aroma dominated by rum and Macadamia nuts. When smoking, I picked up on the rum and the nuts, but have yet to find the coconut. It's a very pleasant smoke and when puffed carefully, it's nothing but smooth. This one is definitely wife friendly, so enjoy!

garydobbs Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
garydobbs (19)
Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Medium to Full Very Pleasant

I'm a big fan of this particular Peterson blend - I find it to taste both coco-nutty and chocolaty which is a delicious combination.

When you open the tin a all empowering aroma becomes evident - reminding me a little of a full bodied fruit wine. It smokes well and the moisture level out of the tin is close to perfect - the guys at Peterson really know what they are doing.

Mike0831 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mike0831 (10)

This is a nice aromatic. I think of nothing wrong with it other than its not strong. I like flakes (Orlik, Dunhill Navy Cut, etc). I pick up a bunch of rum and not so much coconut. I enjoy this and as someone said, it's a nice change from the more "serious" tobaks. This is not to say anything negative. All strengths of tobak have a place in the "rotation" (like baseball pitchers). Good stuff here!

Arkie Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Arkie (106)
Mild to Medium Strong Medium to Full Tolerable

This blend has a mixture of coconut flavor some other taste I can't define. It tastes weird and leaves a gosh-awful aftertaste.

maigret fan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
maigret fan (57)

I did not get the chance as a previous reviewer to enjoy the special edition 2007 but that is a fine aromatic with a discreet aroma.

When opening the tin the fruity aroma comes quite strong. Apricot or apple. One day I said 'marshamallow' and that can be quite disturbing.

Nice smoke with a discreet but persistant aroma. There are stronger aromatic from Peterson but that one is worth a try for its discreet and distinctive qualities.

gunner525 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
gunner525 (45)
Mild Medium Medium Very Pleasant

Once again another great blend from Peterson. The Virginia, Burley, and Black Cavendish marry nicely with the casing of Macadamian nuts, rum, and coconut (the latter of which is least noticeable). The blend burns nice and evenly down, but a tad on the warmer side. Take your time with this blend, lightly sipping on it and you will be greatly rewarded with a very good experience.

ap Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ap (56)
Very Mild Medium Medium Very Pleasant

I like to have an aromatic open for a change of pace , this one have a good nutty flavour and a balanced sweetness, burns a little hot so go slow and it will deliver some good flavours.

Grizzly1911 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Grizzly1911 (7)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I failed to read the tin before I bought this, was thinking it would be more pecan or walnut (something of the sort). I do not care for coconut at all, but this was not a bad tobacco at all. I'm sure that if I like coconut the would be joining my rotation as I am enjoying it anyway. Low on Vitamin N and the wife says it "smells better than some of your others." for her that is a compliment.

pipey duck Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pipey duck (15)
Very Mild Medium to Strong Very Mild Pleasant

This aro, has the same problem like almost all aros;NO BODY/STRENGH. I like the flavour of it but the mouthfeeling is ....? Some hot sour air with no body to make it round , pleasant and satisfying. Not to forget it tends to burn hot and pain the tongue even if it is smoked slowly. The exhale through the nose offers a nice aroma, the rum is detectable which is nice to me and some tobacco is there to. all in all much to light

ewlship Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ewlship (14)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium to Full Very Pleasant

I thoroughly enjoyed this product. I am an aromatic smoker, and enjoy mostly sweet Cavendish blends. This tin really hit the spot. The first couple bowls had a noticeable coconut aroma and flavor to them, but about half way through the tin that was gone, perhaps the tobacco dried out too much. What was consistent for me was the hazelnut taste. After the bowl was finished I found that taste to linger on. I didn't pick up on the rum at all. The tobacco smoked evenly, and fairly cool throughout. I would buy this tin again hands down. I enjoy Peterson products very much, and this new blend surely did not disappoint.

langston302 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
langston302 (14)
Mild Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

I have been enjoying this blend immensly. I had gotten away from ARO's for many reasons. I was hesitant to give this a try. I was pleasntly surprised went i lit the first bowl.

Prelight aroma gives me an image a Carribean island and cool drink. Fruity and sweet. The flavor that I got was one of very light coconut. I only was able to taste the nutty flavor every once and a while. The smoke was cool through each pipe I smoked it through, and left no unpleasant aftertaste. The room note is so pleasing that I almost want to burn it as incense. All in all this blend has brought an ARO back into my regular rotation of tobacco.

LimeyPipeSmoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
LimeyPipeSmoker (5)
Mild Mild to Medium Medium Very Pleasant

The smell from the time was a very sweet (but not sickly) aroma of vanilla and a hint of rum. The tobacco itself is easy to light but not so much that it's like a tinderbox and I find keeps lit rather well.

Smoking wise I will be honest and say I was a little disappointed during the first 1/3 of the bowl: yes it is a sweet smoke but it's very faint and burns a little hot.

However once you reach half way through the bowl it changed instantly from a flat and hot smoke to a very sweet and cool smoke. When drawing the smoke it was that cool I couldn't feel it in my mouth instead the flavour creeps along your tongue leaving the taste of sweet rum. Exhaling through the nose you are left with the taste of nuts.

Towards the end the nutty taste dominates the smoke and becomes more potent, almost replacing the taste of rum and vanilla completely.

In my opinion it is one of the finest aromatics I've smoked and will be buying more Nutty Cut in future.

steng31 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
steng31 (1)

Despite a wonderfully rich aromatic smell upon opening, the taste is alot less cased than you think. Unlike the usual "wet" aromatics, the gold, red and dark ribbon Virginia blend smokes dry - like coconut and macadamia nuts would be. Could use a little more rum. "Why is the rum always gone?"

Plunket Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Plunket (39)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild Pleasant

Interesting: I applied to the site to add this one for review, but someone beat me to it. I thought it would be a quick review based on one tin, but spent two weeks getting through two tins before feeling I was ready to review it. I am not an aromatic man and won't buy it again, but I think this will be well received by ardent admirers of Peterson aromatics.

Unlike some other Peterson offerings, the casing doesn't overpower the smoke and it was interesting enough, even for me, to warrant two tins before deciding. I can't ever remember smoking two AROs in succession before and the nutty flavor that develops half way through the smoke was somewhat capturing.

It is top quality tobacco as you would expect - sad about the casing!

ARO fans enjoy!

Withnail Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Withnail (16)

On opening the tin you get a very pleasing floral sweet note. Like the other Peterson branded blends I have tried, this seems to combine high quality tobaccos into an easy to pack ribbon cut. The casing gives almost a honey aroma to the overall mixture.

Once lit, this has become one of my two favourite blends. The coconut and rum flavorings translate into a very smooth smoke. There is not too much sweetness and the base taste of the tobacco comes through the over tones of flavours.

As you reach the lower half of the bowl, there is none of the dampness or "spitting" sounds that you can get from some other aromatics. The taste towards the end of the bowl is rather nutty and again very pleasing.

If you enjoy more gentle aromatics then I would urge you to try this splendid quality blend.

ing.poparadu Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ing.poparadu (4)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Medium Very Pleasant

I bought this from the tobacconist simply because they didn't have the Irish Flake and wanted to give another Peterson Tobacco a try. When I got home and opened the tin I was extremely surprised (in a good way) by the flavor this tobacco has. Doesn't seem at all artificial, just good, clean, aromatic tobacco with a hint of a nutty mixture. The room note for this one is astonishing, therefore I think a 4/4 is well deserved for an excellent aromatic.

Pipe Used: Danske Club 84

Age When Smoked: fresh from tin

Purchased From: tobaccoshop

pipetips Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pipetips (2)

Yes indeed, I have finally found my main smoke! This blend is a smooth, creamy and delicious, experience. Takes me to the islands , )

Pipe Used: Peterson pipe of the year 2012

Age When Smoked: 2012

SmokeDawg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SmokeDawg (55)
Mild Very Mild Mild Unnoticeable

I'm a VA and VAper piper that has decided to take a tour of aromatics. Next up: Peterson's Nutty Cut. The tobacco looks of great quality and is a beautiful display of different cuts and color variations of VA leaf spackled with black Cavendish blended with Burley. The smell of the tin is a sharp sweetness like a hard candy or even Sweet Tarts candy. I do smell the coconut. I used a fairly new cob pipe which sometimes can confuse my palette by adding it's own sweetness to the mix.

I found this blend a bit of an oddity. I noticed the fragrance didn't transfer to the bowl and the room note is hardly noticeable. Though this is suppose to be an aromatic, (IMO) it's not a strong one as the tobacco flavor is really dominate with an occasional sip of added flavor. This also didn't behave like a true aro like the last aromatics I tried. (Drew Estate offerings).

This blend seemed to walk the line of not really a super strong tobacco blend, but not a strong aromatic. Nutty Cut is a good quality tobacco and my only recommendation is if you’re an aromatic fan wanting to try a more natural blend this is a good one. One final note, because it is a predominantly VA leaf it will bite you if you mistreat it. Like that cute little lap dog you tease or poke. He's cute, but his teeth will show quick. Over all I'm a bit disappointed as it's not what I am looking for and paid the local tobacconist brick and mortar price. Moving on....

Pipe Used: Missouri Cob.

Purchased From: Ansteads Tobacco

StimeyStrongwater Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
StimeyStrongwater (7)
Mild Medium to Strong Medium Very Pleasant

The tin note is delicious! The flavor is also nice, the flavor is a little muted compared to the tin note but still there. Unfortunately this blend bit me pretty hard no matter what pipe I smoked it in. And I'm a slow smoker. The flavoring is fantastic but due to the bite I say there are better options out there. Maybe it just doesn't work with my body chemistry who knows...

Berthold Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Berthold (4)
Mild Medium Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant

I've only smoked unflavoured pipe tobacco thus far but I thought Id give aromatics a chance, and the desciption on the tin seemed to suit my tastes. But I was disapointed, to say the least.

Nutty cut does smell somewhat like rum and the other ingredients mentioned, but none of that smell actually translates into taste when smoked. The smoke tastes and smells like some kind of artificial perfume, similar to car-freshner or that blue stuff some people have in their toilet bowls. I suppose some people could will themselves into thinking it tastes like rum, coconut and macademia nuts, but I would be very surpised if this blend contained anything other than synthetic chemicals and esters. The taste from the actual tobacco is very mild and mostly concealed by the flavouring.

The only thing I can fairly say about this blend is that it's not a good idea to try it if you only smoke unflavoured pipe tobacco.

Pipe Used: Various

Purchased From: Mysmokingshop.co.uk

Mild to Medium Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

This is a great improvement for peterson aromatics. I like the broad cut and the quality of the leaf here. This is not the typical ribbon cut that will asault your tongue upon lighting the briar. Enjoyble smoke with very sweet scent and taste. Nicotine behaves but it is also present. Does worth a try!

krg1000 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
krg1000 (134)
Extremely Mild None Detected Extremely Mild (Flat) Very Pleasant

Was not impressed in any way with this blend. This definitely will be a once and done thing for me. Really did nothing for taste although the room note was very nice.