Triangle Area Pipe Smokers is located in the historical heart of tobacco country. The remnants of tobaccos glory days can be seen in the Victorian homes lining somnolent streets of isolated small towns, and in the tobacco barns that dot the rural landscape. Fortunate to have within its membership a master blender, VIP combines two great classics of southern tobacco. From the tobacco heartland comes bright Virginias. From the bayous of Louisiana, spicy Perique. With a classic aroma and flavor, the result is a local expression of a fine Virginia Perique.

BrandD & R Tobacco
Packaging40 grams tin.
Strength
Taste
3.6

The light and brown Virginias are buttery sweet with a hint of grass and earth, and some citrus. The smell of the tobacco from an open tin is fruity: apricots, figs and raisins, and much of that is mildly evident in the smoke. The perique is more fruity than peppery, but the latter is an important part of the experience. The toppings are a light honey bourbon and a small touch of anisette, and they do tone down the tobaccos just a little. It's A.P. Rimboche with toppings.The tobacco is dry out of the tin, so you may prefer to lightly hydrate it. I found the flavors stood out more when I did. Burns well, cool, clean and very smooth with a consistent flavor, and no chance of bite or harshness. Hardly leaves any moisture in the bowl, and needs few relights. The sweet taste never wanes or gets boring, and the after taste pleasantly lingers long enough for you to immediately considering having another bowl right away. It doesn't have much nicotine, and may not have enough strength satisfy hardcore VaPer smokers, but for those who aren't, it's a four star blend.

Pipeclimber Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipeclimber (2)
Mild None Detected Medium Pleasant

This is a wonderful Va/Per. Upon lighting you get this very sweet and peppery taste with a nice almost florally finish. While I'm not very good at piecing up room notes while I smoke, my girlfriend seems to like the smell of it. Overall, I would say this is a very nice and relaxing smoke; perfect for sitting out on the patio and enjoying a nice summer afternoon.

Pipe Used: Cassano Canadian Shape

Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant

A straight forward VirginiaPerique blend with Bright and Dark Virginia that combines to give a strength to the blend that may be over the top for some, but perfect for others (like me). I was only given an ounce to review, and it went quickly. I really like this blend!

Pipestud

Snappo's Pipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Snappo's Pipe (18)
Medium to Strong Mild Medium to Full Very Pleasant

Daughters & Ryan TAPS VIP... love this one - ordered some tins!!! The Virginias and Periques in the D&R blends are phenomenal... SPICY and sweet! If chasing flavor and trying to guess if it's there is not your thing, try this one and other D&R's... FANTASTIC!

Another Top 10 desert island dream blend... Thanks again jiminks - BULLSEYE!!!

Pipe Used: Cob

Age When Smoked: Gifted, so unknown...

Purchased From: Gift

Similar Blends: No other VaPer....

LannarkGent Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
LannarkGent (98)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium to Full Very Pleasant

This VA Per mange to be unique and wonderfully satisfying. The marriage of the tobaccos provided a tick and grassy favor as well as the musky earthiness of some Red Virginias. This is a delightful blend and a standout in a crowed tobacco genre.

I must say that this one kind of surprised me as I hadn't thus far been too impressed with the D & R blends that I have tried. Unfortunately, my sample of this was quite small. I only ended up smoking about two and a half bowls of this.

My general impression was that this was a pretty good VaPer. Nice Virginia sweetness and a very light spice touch from the perique. It was good, but the perique was a little light for my personal tastes as my favorite VaPers tend to be a little heavier in Perique.

Remember that this is based on two and a half bowls. I am putting this at 3 stars as I liked what I tried, but I can't give it a fourth star as of yet. I will be buying another tin or two and will probably do so in a few weeks at the Chicago Show since they are always there. I will be revisiting this review after I have had a chance to smoke a tin.

DoubledPawns Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DoubledPawns (1)
Mild None Detected Medium Pleasant

I highly recommend this blend! One of my favorite VaPers out there. Take care to smoke slow and cool, you'll be highly rewarded. The tin note is fantastic, almost a black licorice combined smell and it smokes very fruity and sweet. I instantly want to smoke another bowl as soon as I finish one.

Old German puffer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Old German puffer (105)
Mild Extremely Mild Very Mild Pleasant

Opened up a two ounce sample that I was given this morning. Brewed My coffee and got out my pipe for the first try. Sitting in my sun room the morning sun was just starting to peak through. Packed this with a palm roll. Tobacco just felt soft and like a sponge. Took 3 attempts to light before it got going. Taste is mild. Smoke is light. Bowl can get hot fast. Slowed this down and it settled in. It is a nice smoke but nothing to write home about. I think I would b use this as a daily if I did not want any thought in it.

Pipe Used: Kopp

Age When Smoked: Sample

Purchased From: Gifted from Pipe club LA

zwolanek Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
zwolanek (19)

This is a limited production blend, and I was lucky to get two tins at the 2011 Chicago Pipe Show. I wish I had bought more. If I can find it, I will.

This is a classic VaPer. I rank this at or above Haddo's Delight. Yes, it's that good.

The tobacco is the highest quality. The cut borders on shag and it burns perfectly, leaving no dottle at all. The flavor is exceedingly sweet with a strong, classic, figgy Perique aroma. Obviously D&R took care to find the highest quality ingredients

As with all Virginia based tobaccos, this can burn hot, so watch out. But if you can find it, buy it.

Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant

A very good and sweet VaPer. The VaPer portion would be a quality smoke by itself. Very fruity with a fair amount of spice. Add the topping and this hits 4 star level easily. I get a sweet bourbon flavor with just a touch of anisette. Very tasty, very satisfying and a lovely smoke all way around.

Mild to medium in body. Medium in taste. Flavoring is very mild. Burns very well.

Pipe Used: MM Little Devil Cutty, Little Devil Acorn, Marcus

Stinkypipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Stinkypipe (150)
Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Full Tolerable

Got as a gift for Christmas. Was a bit worried about the strength. Nice room note lots of different aromas. Trouble I had was the taste. Started off kind of sweet with rum highlights. Once it got going I got a light hint of pepper with flavor. But as I went along the pepper got stronger and stronger. I rarely ever throw out a bowl before finishing but I had to with this blend. Just not a huge fan of heavy pepper and this has it in spades. Just not my cup of tea. If you like the flavor and taste of pepper this will be a favorite for you.

Pipe Used: Peterson P-lip