My dad loved to fish, and he was good at it too. When he had a line in the water, he would also have a pipe in his mouth loaded with one of the old “foil pouch” blends. This is my tribute to those solid, reliable smokes - light, pleasant aroma, easy on the palate and tongue. There are three reasons why the Burleys are well-behaved in the blend- 1) the primary Burley is toasted, 2) the unflavored black Cavendish adds a mellow sweetness, and 3) you observed correctly that cinnamon flavor staves off the sourness.

Brandpipesandcigars.com
Strength
Taste

Perique Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Perique (88)

This is an extraordinary tobacco. Consider what the blender has done here: he has created a 'real' tobacco blend to compete head-to-head with today's chemical laden OTC brands. Consider those harking for the nostalgia of their grandfathers blends, purchasing their pouch of PA or whatever, only to find it a PG soaked chemical mess. Or worse, a new smoker experimenting and quickly giving up after tongue bite, nasty aftertaste, and chemical residue. For the genre, and for the price, this is a masterpiece: a highly underrated and under- appreciated blend.

The tin note is sweet, with a light peaches and cream / sweet cocoa aroma. The cinnamon casing is very mild and not what I expected. It's more like cinnamon sugar, with none of the sharpness of pure cinnamon. The blend is extremely smooth, but not 'mild' - there is excellent burley flavor here. Absolutely no tongue bite. I intentionally puffed away at this tobacco to find the 'bite point' and it simply wasnt there. The tobacco is on the dry side for an aromatic, but then this isn't really an aro, per se. The moisture level was just right for a burley OTC alternative and should be a welcome change of pace for OTC smokers.

The charring light is very sweet, in the pure sugar (or cinnamon sugar) rather than goopy sense. This burns off quickly and mellows as it blends into the natural nuttiness of the burley to create a wonderful balance. Towards the end of the bowl, most of the cinnamon sugar is gone and the flavor is nearly pure burley with a hint of (naturally) sweeter cavendish. And unlike the OTC's, no chemical taste at the end of the bowl!

The nicotine is here- again, not too much and not too little. Like the flavoring, just enough to satisfy. There are not layers of complexity here, but then that's not what one comes looking for in tub of Angler's Dream. Straightforward burley with light casing, done just right.

This is a perfect blend for the heavy smoker, an excellent all-day smoke. A nice change of pace for burley fans. A better tobacco experience for aromatic smokers. And a far superior option for modern day OTC smokers. Add in the value, and you've got a truly extraordinary blend.

RamblinMan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
RamblinMan (4)

This blend has a simple taste, is easy burning, and comes at a price point that makes it worth every cent. I wasn't sure what to expect in terms of taste, having heard that this had a faint cinnamon flavor I was a little apprehensive. My experience from the tub that I ordered was pleasant, sweet toasted burley with a slight hint of cinnamon that occasionally shows itself (most notable when exhaling through the nose). This is what I was hoping for when I ordered the blend, something simple that is respectable in its own right. Well done Russ, you've hit the mark on this blend.

This is a pleasant smoke, and it is somewhat basic. I get a slightly sour burley in the taste profile with a hint of honey and cinnamon to take the edge of that sour. I would not call this an aromatic, although it has a mild topping. There is no trace of chemical or other "off" flavor. This is the OTC you wish you could buy at every grocery store.

This is a comfortable combination that works pretty well as you puff away while working on something else. It is not fussy about packing and seems very consistent through the bowl. Mine came a little dry, but that seems to work pretty well, and I have smoked it as delivered.

In true "codger" mode, I have smoked three bowls of this so far today (in the same pipe) while doing work in the office. I could easily do the same thing while fishing, and I think it lives up to its name.

Blackhorse Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Blackhorse (71)

Well, I just couldn't resist being one of the first on this new offering from H&H. There are a number of Russ's blends that I find very tasty, chief among them being Stogie...and while this one is also quite good it's also quite different from Stogie...actually it's quite different from anything else I've tried! Is it the touted Cinnamon essence? Well, that is a difference...but not one that screams at you...being pretty muted...and surprisingly very pleasant. Other tasting notes I jotted down include terms like spicy, creamy, cocoa and musty. I don't know if it's at all accurate, but those taste notes would lead me to guess there was some amount of Virginia, some Burley and maybe a little Perique in there. If so, they are doing their jobs. The blend is ribbon-like in cut, just the right moisture level for me, packs and fires up very well and smokes effortlessly and with no bite. The most interesting thing was the shift and play of the flavors I mentioned, which kept my attention. All in all it's yet another example of Russ's ability to produce the quality, unique and tasty blends for which he is justly renouned. Also, it didn't seem like an aromatic in nature, though I guess bybdefinition it is...maybe more like what I would call a natual or semi- aromatic...having a very subtle use of a flavoring and with much of its character coming from the tobaccos used in the blending. Good stuff.

BTW: thanks for the generous sample.

Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

I took a chance after talking to Russ about this blend. I'm glad I listened to him because I like it. It may have a little less nuttiness than your standard OTC, and maybe a little less cocoa taste than Prince Albert, but both are noticeable in this blend. I also taste light honey and the cinnamon adds a light, tasty spice. The natural sweetness of the red Virginia is mild, but flavorful. A few people have remarked that it's not complex, but compared to OTCs, I think it is because of the variety of flavors noted. I do recommend you hydrate it first because it's packed very dry, and the flavors are more obvious when moistened a little. Some, including Russ himself, think it's better dry, and I have enjoyed it that way, but I still like a slight bit of moisture in my tobaccos. Either way, it burns well with no tongue bite, very light casing, extremely pleasant and consistent taste, and has a great room note. It has one of the most entrancing aromas when you open the baggie that I've ever smelled. It's a very good all day smoke and not expensive. What more do you need to know? If you like this genre, you should give it a try. More of a three and a half star blend instead of just three.

I received a good size sample of this at the West Coast Pipe Show in November and it is a pleasing, lightly aromatic smoke. It is now sold in a "tub" and I am guessing that the intent is to offer a simple, all day smoke similar to OTC blends, but of course better. AD does exactly what it claims to do. It isn't complex, nor do I think that was intended. I don't get a lot of the cinnamon coming through. It's a very fairly priced all day smoke, that isn't bitter. For those reasons, I would highly recommend it.

I am honored to be the first to review this new blend from Russ Ouelette of Pipes and Cigars. I received a free sample from Russ and I want to thank him very much for that. My sample was a beautiful mix of small to medium flat flakes (resembling fish food flakes but smaller). The colors ranged from medium brown to very light tan with some black thrown in. Very appropriate for this time of year! The bag aroma was pretty mild but sweet, yielding whiffs of chocolate, cinnamon, and honey with deep inhalation. Moisture content was just right for me and my first smoke of this blend packed with ease in a bent sandblast Chacom. Lighting was a breeze and the smoking experience was joyful. Throughout the smoke there was the ever present taste of good, high-quality, nutty Burley. It had just the right amount of sweetness and was in no way cloying. I attribute this to the unflavored black cavendish. Every now and then I would get the taste of some cinnamon which was like getting to eat the cherry off of a very good tasting cake! It smoked dry to the heel and I mean dry. It may have a tendency to smoke hot if pushed, but it was never a problem for me and I enjoyed smoking it at a moderate pace. My tongue never even let me know that smoke was passing over its surface. Very well done! There was never any bitterness at all.

This is truly a remarkable aromatic, and I base my observations after several bowls of smoking pleasure. The Burley dominance is to my liking as I am a big fan of Burley. The additions of chocolate, honey, and cinnamon were well added by a sure hand in expert proportions and in no way detracted from true tobacco flavor as neither of the flavorings dominated. This is how all aromatics should behave. I mentioned to Russ that I was a fan of Half & Half and I think he nailed it right on in perhaps modeling Angler's Dream on what made that classic blend so appealing in its hey-day. Lesser quality Burley simply would not do this blend justice and it seems that Russ is using hi-quality leaf. An "aromatic lover's aromatic" for sure. Those enjoying a good Burley smoke will not be disappointed. Good job Russ!

P.S. Gets even better by the bowl's end - a delightful, subtle sweetness.

the_IRF Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
the_IRF (3)

I was surprised as how much i find i like this blend. It is an all day smoker for sure. Repeatedly i find myself saying... "this is satisfying". I usually go for the strongest English or heaviest Flake i can find. I smoke all day long, too. So, this has become a secret smoke for me that always is relaxing. There is a slight mouth feel to it as well, it seems to me. I like that. Maybe this fools my internal system into thinking i have chewed something thus producing a secession of appetite. Either way, the blender has done a good job. I can see why this would hit the mark for someone wanting to wile away hours with a pipe while pretending to be do something, like fishing, or anything else you can think of.

Pipe Used: Everything: Brier, Meerschaum, Corn Cob

Age When Smoked: Fresh from the dealer

Purchased From: http://www.pipesandcigars.com/

Similar Blends: Unique in my view..

sugarcane1 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
sugarcane1 (1)
Mild to Medium Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

I honestly purchased this, because of price for 14 ounces of tobacco. Smoked some as soon as it was received, and jarred the rest. First bowls were decent and worth the price, but after aging for one month, it changed to so much better. Smoother,too. If you like burley, you will like it. It's blended perfectly. Cinnamon is there but not overpowering. Could be an all day smoke. I highly recommend, you give it a try.

Pipe Used: Meerschaum

Age When Smoked: Jarred 1 month

Purchased From: P & C

SmokeKing David Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SmokeKing David (115)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Tolerable

I echo the comments of the previous reviewer. It's OK but I don't see myself buying more.

Govern Yourself Accordingly

pipelovingcalvinist Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pipelovingcalvinist (68)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild Tolerable

This was a decent blend and is perfect for what it was designed to be, which is an all day smoke. Notes of sweet Burley came through with some other spice I couldn't identify, (the cinnamon?) This blend wasn't the most interesting blend but when angling for fish on a quiet stream, one is not looking for something complex. I give this one two and a half stars.

Soli Deo gloria!