Diamond Head is a celebration of all marriage. First is the marriage of Captain Earle and Honor Matthews on December 27, 1895. Second is the marriage of an 1890's Atlas Blending Company blend with today's Latakia, Red Virginia plus small leaf tobaccos creating Captain Earle's latest blend, Diamond Head. Truly this is a celebrated marriage.

BrandHermit
CutKrumble Kake
PackagingTin
Strength
Taste

DD Stolz Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DD Stolz (2)
Medium None Detected Full Pleasant

I like to review blends while I smoke the tobacco I'm reviewing. The medium size cutty I selected is working well! When I crumbled my cake it felt a little moist to the touch, no worries,I have learned with this blend it is common, it smokes dry and lights easy. To me, it reminds me of the englishes I smoked years ago like, Cooks #5, Penzants and Sullivan's Gentlemen's mixture. Its smoky and creamy.Full of earthy taste and pleasant.It is almost as creamy as the old Bengal Slices! I feel like this is going to be a Diamond Head day, all day! This is one blend you don't want or need to smoke fast. It is high in nicotine content and very satisfying.It burns to a bright gray ash. There is nothing about this weed that I don't like. Captain Earls blends are all fabulous. This one is my favorite followed closely by Ten Russians. There is no doubt it will cellar well.I can't imagine it improving, its that good!

I am a bit miffed as to why this blend hasn't been reviewed prior to this one. Diamond Head is a well done kake by Hermit. It isn't the Latakia powerhouse that are some of the other Hermit blends, but a balanced English blend that's easy to rub out (my preferred method) and DH offers some complexity to boot. It took me about four months to finish the tin as it isn't an everyday smoke for me. DH should benefit from aging and it's worth a few tins for the cellar. Those that seek a solid English Krumble Kake or those that like Hermit Blends should enjoy this well made blend. Recommended.

puro66 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
puro66 (73)

I like Diamond Head. It arrives as nice single brownie in the tin and was very easy to krumble off what I needed per bowl. It is not heavy on latakia but is complex while remaining a smooth smoke. Not too heavy in the nicotine department and it definitely ages well. Worth keeping a couple of tins on hand.

Kyrob Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kyrob (32)

Upon opening a year and a half old tin of Captain Earle’s Diamond Head I was greeted with a very dense crumble cake in brown and black shades married together giving an overall melted appearance. The smell of charcoal and smokiness greeted me along with an indescribable sweetness that had a bit of a tang. The moisture level was about right, moist but on the drier side.

An unlit sip brought the smoky Latakia to my mouth as did the initial light which also brought an underscore of a creamy sweetness. I found the overall smoke to be well balanced and not overwhelming in the least. It was a good slow smoker that did really well in shallow wide bowls. Rarely a sour note would come into play, but it was all to brief as I tend to enjoy those quite a bit. If I puffed it too hard it left me with a burnt, bitter taste. It had a rather short finish and the room note didn’t seem to bother the cat, then again she never complains about anything.

I enjoyed the experience of smoking this blend, though I don’t think I need to get another tin, it just didn’t seem robust enough. Maybe if I had smoked it younger it wouldn’t have been so mellow, but I have other strong English blends to fill that need already. I think anyone who enjoys a good slow burning light to medium English would enjoy this blend.

Age When Smoked: 1.5 Years