A distinctive flavorful blend pressed, darkened tobaccos
with Perique added for character.

Notes: Previously released by Murray's and Sons, UK

Taste

2.9
donmartinthree Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
donmartinthree (18)

One of my all-time favorite tobaccos is Dunhill Deluxe Navy Rolls... THIS, to me, tastes like a less spicy, less rich version of that, which isn't a bad thing at all - I suppose it's a) due to it not being a pressed tobacco and b) containing less Perique and slightly different Virginias (maybe?) than DLNR.

Tin note is Virginia hay, slightly fruity or plum-like (Perique!), but nothing too exciting. Once you know the flavor, however, that tin smell will start to become more and more delicious to you.

Easy to pack with its typically Dunhill ribbon cut, easy to light as the moisture is PERFECT from the tin. First light is Virginia with slight creamy plum-like and stewed fruit flavors, but quite muted - delicious. As the bowl progresses, it gets creamier and creamier and stronger and stronger. Also, the spicy character known to me from DLNR comes out a bit more and continues that way until there's nothing left but fine grey ash. Slow burn for a ribbon cut, granted you smoke slowly and sip for all the flavors.

I would recommend reserving a pipe just for this, because it just gets so much better if smoked in a pipe only this has been smoked with. For me that's my old Loewe Liverpool, which this smokes like a dream in.

Wibblefishofdoom Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Wibblefishofdoom (111)
Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I bought this as it was about the only Dunhill that I can get my hands on that I haven't tried yet. Plus there was the fact that I wanted to try a well regarded VaP and this seemed to fit the bill.

The tin aroma wasn't particularly strong, perhaps giving off little hints of raisin or plum. Packing and lighting were uber-easy, given the finely cut ribbons this is no surprise though. The smoke itself is very nice if a little hard to pin down. Sometimes it gives something a little plum or raisin like, similar to HU Director's Cut, other times it gives a more lemony flavour much like Germain's Perique Mixture. Once in a while it even gave hints of coffee. Very satisfying if not astounding.

In summary, a very good satisfying smoke if lacking a little of the Wow! factor and nicely varies it's flavour between the heavier Director's Cut and lighter Perique Mixture giving a nice complexity that I like in a tobacco. I am in no position to make a comparison between this and the original Murray offering but on it's own merits this is a very pleasant tobacco and much recommended.

Medium Extremely Mild Full Pleasant

I like Va/Pers. I like strong Va/Pers, and serious Va/Pers (I also like a lot of other things, but this is about EM, right?). Anyway, soon as I could lay my hands on a tin of this blend which has only recently been re-introduced to my home market... I opened the tin.

The tin note, then, is typical Va/Per, though with more fruit and bread notes than I am accustomed to from other contenders: that must be a rather generous "pinch" of Perique they add there, and I'm in love already.

The leaf is a uniform ribbon, bright, red and dark to black. The moisture may be a bit too much for some; out of the fresh tin, for me, it's OK, but it does get better with some drying. So I stuff, and I light, and I puff, and I get a wonderful, full flavour of sweet figs and nuts and hay and a nice, gentle tickle in my nose on the sidestream... I'm in love.

While there may be little variation in flavour throughout the smoke, the flavour I get is quite satisfying. The room note is also noteable for being quite good IMHO; the cigarette-ish VA notes are easily outvoted by the Perique.

Lovely smoke for me; there seems to be a slight topping in there, but nothing to complain about. Good, solid flavour to the very, ashes-only end of the bowl.

I enjoy with a good brandy or a Calvados.

Pipe Used: Butz-Choquin Marseille, Big Ben Barbados

Age When Smoked: Fresh from new tin

Purchased From: Smoker's Corner, Lübeck

Similar Blends: Rattray's Marlin Flake, DTM Ascanian No. 2.

Elizabethan Do you like Perique?, This has it , but perfectly married into the Virginias. I was totally engrossed with the intense incense scent produced by the Perique while snorking this blend . It actually reminded me of McC's "Tudor Castle's ", a "new book print" scent . I really enjoy the typical Dunhill ribbon cut, as it's easy to load, light and keep lit. The Virginias are very flavorful without bite, and producing a nice smooth smoke. An all day Vaper. I decided to do some one on one Vaper comparisons. So down to the cellar I went, I pulled out some Esoterica Dunbar, Escudo, Rattrays Marlin Flake, McC 2015 Bulk , SG's St. James Flake, P. Stokkeybys's Luxury Navy Flake and the Elizabethan. I was going to smoke nothing but Vapers for a week and determined once and for all, my preferences. Like a mad scientist, here are my results:

Dunbar- on the lighter side of these offerings, but very ,very smooth, absolutely ( I love that word,"abbsahloootlee", always reminds me of Sylvester Stallone in Rocky) no bite, incense scent was noticeable. No raisins or spice notes, liked the cut, an all day tobacco at any smoking pace, flavorful but not in your face . More of a sweet Virginia blend than a VaPer when slow sipped, Perique noticeable when smoked more aggressive,no bitters. Good on DGT

Peter Stokkebye Luxury Navy Flake- Mild with a nice flake cut , no incense scent on first half of the bowl, Low in Perique, some sweetness but rougher on the tongue, no complexity, best in price but least in flavor. Ok on DGT

Elizabethan- Incense scent jumps out on initial light and stays the whole smoke, noticable Perique, nice ribbon cut . Sweet and sour flavor with no bite, More strength than Dunbar and more flavor but not as smooth. Virginias very well behaved, no bite, interesting and complex for a Vaper. More aggressive puffing brings out a raisin spice flavor without bitterness. Poor on DGT gets ashy, but a good all day Vaper on the tongue.

McC 2015 Bulk- Loaded with Perique, incense scent jumps out with the typical McCVinegar ( I happen to like it). Not a smooth offering ( bulk had 3 years cellar age), flavor is big but so is the spice, can bite . Virginias are sweet with Perique raisin flavor. Cut is a broken dark flake and is hard to keep lit. Want a spicier Vaper with bold tangy flavor ?, this is it. Keeps my interest, but grates my tongue. Good on DGT

SG's St. James Flake_- Heavy Perique, incense scent, very smooth ( 3 years bulk aging). No bite or harsh spice or raisin flavor. Perique overpowers the Virginia in a nice way, very mellow, creamy dark base note flavors, not tangy. Keeps my interest..

Marlin Flake After a slight rub out, you end up with a nice size flake that packs easy and smokes great. Perique and incense scent is noticeable but not overwhelming , has a nice balance with the Virginias. Virginias are tangy, sweet and sour without bite, has a good spice balance . I would say a raisin flavor can be detected in the tanginess. Everything in good balance no bitterness. Brisk smoking pace can make blend ashy and hot. OK on DGT but looses tang and more ashy,

Escudo- Perique medium ,not a strong incense scent ,more hidden than most, stronger on the last 1/3 bowl. Virginias are more dark and not as sweet as MF, has a bitter undertone. No strong raisin flavor but some spice. slightly tangy but not as much as MF. Tin has two years age, flavors slightly mottled, not that interesting. Once coins are slightly rubbed out, the cut is very fine ( almost a shag) and thus tends to burn fast and ashy, hotter burning than Elizabethan and could Bite if pushed. I felt that these were some strange results, as I always remembered this much better, is "Scandinavian Tobacco Group" taking some shortcuts ?

Results, for me and only me, I'll continue to buy Elizabethan as it's an easy to smoke, middle of the pact smoke. But the best are: Dunbar, for an easy smoke with sweetness and smoothness and also St James flk. for those special times when I want a heavy dark VaPer. I do regret that I didn't have any McC Beacon Extra , and St. James Woods as I feel these would have also performed well.

Pipe Used: cob

Age When Smoked: new tin over one month

Similar Blends: see above review.

SmokeDawg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SmokeDawg (55)
Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable

I've bypassed this tin for a while assuming it was a typical Dunhill English blend, but when I saw it was a Virginia-Perique blend I added it to my recent VaPer exploration. I love the colors. There was a great mixture of Red and Bright leaf Va. The Va hay smell was there and the bread smell of the Perique. The Perique gave it the pop. I did not detect any topping or additional flavors some pipers have reported, not in tin smell or taste. But the tin is still young. This is a nice blend full of flavor which is something I look for. It's not as strong as Kajun Kake but stronger than McClellands St. James. I quickly smoked three bowls before I knew it. I'm glad I bought this.. I'll be taking Miss Liza Jane for frequent strolls....

Pipe Used: Peterson 69 silver edition

Age When Smoked: No date on tin.

Purchased From: Ansteads Tobacco

Duke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Duke (41)
Medium None Detected Medium Very Pleasant

I think the return of Elizabethan Mixture is exciting. I hadn't smoked it since the late eighties. This mixture really has a simple tobacco taste, and my recollection tells me it's awfully close to the original. Like most tobaccos, so it's said, is cased, but E.M. doesn't appear topped IMO. That is why many reviewers recognize its dry earthy note. It is said that much of the sense of taste includes, if not requires, the sense of smell for the overall sensation. So that could be why, in some reviews, the piper scorns the blend due to it tasting like a cigarette (tobacco), when rather, the blend isn't heavily influenced by a topping. I've also been smoking plenty of University Flake and its topping effects the taste and room note. E.M. is bright and darker Virginians with a nice touch of Perique. It starts out monochromatic but as you advance through the bowl the flavors deepen with a pure tobacco taste. I don't feel that this is a nicotine bomb, yet it satisfies me. My go-to tobacco Royal Yacht is cased and topped to the bejeezus, but I love it. Compare R.Y. and E.M. by the tin note and mouth feel, and you'll see the smoke of Royal Yacht has an unnatural sweetness, whereas E.M. doesn't. As someone else said E.M. is similar to Pease's Tribute, I say a bit like Fillmore, by its earthiness and dryness on the palate, or as Pease describes Embarcadero being brut rather than demi-sac. When I search out a change of pace tobacco I always smoke at least a full tin to determine if the tobacco has merit. It took several days of exclusively smoking E.M. to really understand and enjoy the blend. Hard puffing ruins the beautiful smoke. I also prefer my tobaccos' to be drier, especially Virginians, to deliver pleasure. Anyhow, I like this tobacco for its simplicity- it satisfies me.

mdnyc71 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mdnyc71 (22)
Strong None Detected Medium to Full Strong

I'm always weary of hype so I avoided the Dunhill tobaccos when they were reintroduced. I wasn't a pipe smoker when Dunhill was previously available and had no fond memories to fall back on.

I finally took the plunge with Elizabethan Mixture (because of my love of VA/Pers) and am very glad I did so. I find this blend unique compared to the other VA/Perique blends I enjoy. The adjective that comes to mind is 'earthy'. I consider blends like Fillmore or St James Woods to be savory/spicy. On the other end of spectrum is Dunbar, which I strongly associate with citrus. EM is somewhere in the middle - the taste of mushrooms comes to mind.

The nicotine level is on the high side but just right and I've had no problems with bite. The only negative is that my my wife hates the room note.

JustinCarcerated Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JustinCarcerated (54)
Medium None Detected Medium Unnoticeable

As this is my 50th review, I wanted to pick a toby that I found special, with some history, reborn after a period of time-thereby lending credence to the boom that pipe smoking is enjoying. There have been several from which to choose, but I pulled out my tin of EM as Dunhill has given me many a good puff to date. Not so much with this VaPer though, I am sorry to report.

The initial tin note had a date-apricot bready note, with strong Va tones, without any hayish grassy scents I have come to appreciate in VaPers. Quality ribbon cut, but a tad dryer than I am used to from Dunny. That dryness resulted in easy lights, minimal relights.

The problem I experienced was in the taste, as well as the bite. There was no Va sweetness, negligible interaction with Perique, and a generally harshness to it that I could not shake. It utterly failed to alter in taste in multiple cobs, as well as varying sizes of dedicated briars...all I tasted was harshness.

And the bite was always hovering on my palate. This despite my concentrating on slow methodical sipping, so much so that I fatigued from the experience bowl after fatiguing bowl. Packing it in loosely have the least offensive results, if only because it took less time to sip through.

Not a total loss though, it'll go into my 24 oz. decanter where I keep my ever-changing "amnesia blend", where many lesser baccys have come together for some remarkable smoke.

With all the great reviews, don't let this deter you, but I have other Vapers cellaring that far exceed this blend-according to my taste (Escudo & La. Flake).

Still love my Dunhill moments though, just not with Elizabeth it seems.

Pipe Used: Cobs and Briars galore

Age When Smoked: 1 year?

Similar Blends: Peterson's Sherlock Holmes-in its harshness..

McKNooB Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
McKNooB (34)

After smoking the heck out of Early Morning Pipe, having Nightcap as a regular go-to smoke and falling head over heals for 965, I thought I'd give this one a try. Still scratching my head on this one; 965 is one of my most regular smokes and I get more each time I make an order.

However, I'm thinking that this is my new Number Juan. The perique really stands out and I think that's why. I love the right amount of perique. Flavour in every drag.

Burns very cool. Packs well and lights easy and requires little attention. (I've just received a Stanwell which will be this VaPer's only partner). As the tin ages, it just keeps getting better. And when I pack it and leave it for a while, it is a fantastic pipe tobacco experience, especially when paired with a strong, dark roast coffee.

Amazing!

CoolPilot Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CoolPilot (64)

Delightful blend with an excellent virginia and the right amount of perique. For me, much better than the navy rolls, or anything else VaPer. As usual with all Dunhill's tobaccos, also this one does light up perfectly and requires no further lightning. An absolute must-have for vaPer lovers. I will buy again and again, in place of navy rolls.

Pipe Used: Lubinski OpusOne

Similar Blends: delux navy roll.

Ambush1964 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ambush1964 (6)

I loaded the pipe straight from the tin, it may have been a bit moist. It lit and burned well, although I had to relight about every 1/3 bowl. It probably would have burned better if I had dried it some before packing the pipe. The tin note was mild, slightly fruity plum? It was a very mild smoke. A bit of the Perique spice peeked out at about the half way point. Overall, nothing overwhelming, just a solid tobacco smoke.

Tried this again in a vintage "Flying Disc" briar pipe. The tobacco was a bit drier and smoked all the way to the bottom with no relights. The experience was similar, muted creamy vanilla/fruit sweetness with a touch of Perique spice. Still not a favorite for me. Peter Stokkeby Luxury Flake was similar although a bit more harsh. I would smoke Elizabethan Mixture before the Luxury Flake, but would prefer a more aromatic tobacco myself.

Pipe Used: LHS Stearncrest #266 Author&Vintage "Flying Disc"

Similar Blends: Peter Stokkeby Luxury Flake.

MDP Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
MDP (37)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

I made it easy for EM to succeed. It had to take but a step to cross the finish line a winner. Unfortunately, EM has yet to even lace up its shoes. EM didn't even have to match past incarnations of itself. It had to be in the same genre and flavor profile: clean, smooth, full-ish and a bit toasty. Orlik's debut is not in the same arena as previous EM productions. In fact, it went to the wrong city.

The smoke is acrid and harsh with only unfulfilled teases of Virginia sweetness. The perique is all that EM has going for it, despite there being only a modicum of it in the blend. The room note is "Vegas Casino." At least it doesn't bite. It burns well. The cut and packing are lovely. If presentation could be "enough," EM would suffice as is. Beauty is only skin deep but ugly goes to the bone.

The extra, sealed tin I purchased will stay in training and benched until First Team VAPER is exhausted and it's time to send in the freshman players.

Jakob Kiilerich Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jakob Kiilerich (118)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Tolerable to Strong

Elizabethan Mixture is a very potent Périque/VA blend. Although being very similar to GLPease's Tribute, this one is a bit better in many ways. First of all, the VA is a wee brighter than in Tribute which makes the contrast between VA and Périque somewhat more high and therefore also more transparent in the top-notes. Second; the overall quality of the leaf is a wee bit better than in Tribute (less stems, more even cut etc.) Actually, this tobacco is, in every aspects, just a wee bit better than Tribute. Try them both and compare.

The tin aroma is quite subtle but the sight is probably one of the most colurful I have seen. I guess this would qualify as a flagship in the VA/Périque-line, and I will recommend this to anyone who loves this Louisiana product. Oh yeah by the way, the tin is probably one of the most beautiful ever made; IMHO...

Spicy and delicious: Nectar from the Gods

Jakob Kiilerich, Denmark

Shane Ireland Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Shane Ireland (8)

This is a wonderful blend that has been copied many times. Yes, I have had old U.K. made Elizabethan and there is no need for those who have not to feel like they are "missing out". For me this is a must have and has both the complexity and medium strength that I most often look for in a blend. You will get some sweetness, and you will get some spice, but never too much of either. This is about as easy burning and packing as a cut can get and does well in many different chamber sizes. Many people recommend Escudo as a starting point for those looking to explore Virginia and, more specifically, VA/Perique blends. I think both Escudo and Elizabethan should be a part of that introduction.

Amsteracqua Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Amsteracqua (17)

So... finally i will do my first dunhill blends review... This tobacco was for me, in a first view, a common tobacco with a soap flavor... because I used a Metal pipe, a Streamliner, in this case I changed my pipe for a briar made. This situation has changed completely the flavor, and I liked... For me was a good blend, but, I thought be better... Three stars...

Junkyard Dawg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Junkyard Dawg (16)

You can't go wrong with Elizabethan Mixture if you're seeking a delightful virginia and périque blend. It's a combination of light, medium and darker virginia with a decent proportion of périque, making it medium in strenght in the nicotine range. The tin note is of good old lighter coloured virginias (almost spicy, but not quite) with some nice sweetness to it. The taste is exactly as of the tin note. It burns very nicely and evenly when it has been dried up adequately. It will not display a lot of complexity throughout but it sure is very satisfying to smoke. A solid and reliable VA/PE, it's truly a classic in the genre.

Pipe Used: Rattray; Stanwell; Huck Finn corn cob; Luciano

Age When Smoked: 3 months (the tin was unsealed when received)

Purchased From: 4noggins

Similar Blends: GL Pease Telegraph Hill (different cut but the taste and tin note are very similar; EM is stronger in nicotine, though)..

TheJayBee Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TheJayBee (55)

Ah, how I have missed Va/Pers. I have been smoking mostly English mixtures lately and some Lakeland ones I had almost forgotten the heavenly smell of Va/Pers. The tobacco smell is very typical of the STG Perique mélanges (figs, jams, fermentation). Pure bliss. From the look of it, it has less Perique than Escudo or DLNR.

Dried the tobacco a bit, packed and lit. I feel the Virginias very distinctively, and also the Perique is very distinguishable and is there just to give the mixture a kick. I don't get any added flavourings, just the natural tobacco flavours. Very high quality.

Will give it a 3 stars because I prefer DLNR. But still recommended.

Pipe Used: Straight Jean-Nicolas Billiard

Age When Smoked: Less than a year

Purchased From: Pipe-shop.net

DoomDealer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DoomDealer (9)

This is a mighty fine blend. I've only tried two Dunhill blends, this and Durbar, and, again, you can tell straight away that this is excellent quality tobacco, which has been expertly blended. In that respect alone it's not a waste of money.

Now to taste: in the tin it's pretty unspectacular and for me difficult to describe; a tiny hint of fruit of some sort, perhaps? At any rate, it's a very mild tin note. But don't be fooled, this is no light-weight! Once lit, it starts to come alive and, yes, even I (in the grand scheme of things an inexperienced pipe smoker) can detect the Perique (if that's what it is) giving it a subtle spiciness with the by others described 'tickle in the nose'. A full, very pleasant, bite-free and complex aroma that's most defintitely a winner; and, I might add, quite a unique blend. I prefer this to Durbar (OK, you probably can't really compare the two), largely because it's not as strong, but strong enough to leave you nicely satisfied.

I'm not sure I could smoke this all day, but (like Durbar) a handful of times a month (when you're feeling adventurous) it's definitely worth your while.

UPDATE: I have to say, the more I smoke this (and I have found myself coming back to this again and again) the more this blend grows on me and the more I appreciate it. Great stuff! I know, I said in my earlier review that the tin note is 'unspectacular'. Well, it's not. It IS pretty amazing! A slight hint of fruitiness and a lovely bready sort of smell. Admittedly, when I first opened the fresh tin there was not a lot in the way of tin note, but after having let the tin 'breathe' for a bit the flavours really came to life. A great smoke: full-bodied, complex in flavour and a subtle spiciness/ peppery note. I will most definitely buy this again!

Pipe Used: Aldo Morelli, Ermanno Elite, Peterson Churchwarden

Purchased From: Brucciani Ltd

Paul S. Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Paul S. (5)

Elizabethan Mixture is only my second Va/Per blend, but makes me want to explore the style much more! A beautiful aroma from the tin of clean virginia, raisin, as well as some acidic/vinegary notes. Pleasant and sharp. Lovely, light yet rich flavours with slight spice and a nice finish of chocolate (drinking chocolate?) and caramel. Overall, mild and relatively cool with a good burn. Great stuff!

Pipe Used: Savinelli Hercules 803 EX

Age When Smoked: Fresh Tin

Christrom Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Christrom (18)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I tried a small sample of this stuff and I think I may have smoked it too moist as I noticed a fair amount of gunk buildup at the bottom of the pipe.

Like the other reviews state, this starts off nice and smooth and when you get halfway down the bowl the perique spice really kicks in. It was a pleasant smoke but I do think I'll need to try more to find out. I also found it a bit bitey, but I'm not sure if that was more to do with the perique spice, or the fact that I may have smoked it a little moist. For me, I think a thicker ribbon cut would be better to aide in a slower burn.

I can see what everyone likes about this, but for me it is so-so.

Purchased From: smoke-king

Jaysown Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jaysown (7)
Strong None Detected Medium Tolerable

I've been keen to try a VaPer blend for some time and this is my first. I like variety in my tobaccos and so I smoke and enjoy a wide range of styles and flavours, but I usually avoid very strong tobaccos as I go for flavour rather than a nicotine hit.

I liked this one from the moment I opened the tin. The smell is fresh and sweet with a hint of fruit like a good Virginia blend with a slight hint of spice from the Perique. It packed and lit pretty well, but it was quite moist initially and required a couple of re-lights. I found that when it dried slightly it did improve.

The flavour is relatively subtle but changeable and quite complex. It starts sweetish like a Virginia blend and as I smoke down the bowl the Perique begins to kick in by adding a bitter spicy note, like dried orange peel. This bitter note contrasts with the natural Virginia sweetness and they work well together. Room note is ok but not outstanding.

For me the only drawback is the strength which crept up on me and by the end of the bowl - quite a large meerschaum - I found it too much. So now I smoke either half a bowl or use a smaller pipe and it's a thoroughly enjoyable experience. For more hardened smokers or those who like a nicotine kick, I'm sure the strength won't be a problem and I see some reviewers think this is pretty mild. I must be sensitive!

In briar, I found this leaves quite a Perique taste behind which didn't fade and so I recommend you don't put it in a briar pipe you want to keep fresh. In meerschaum it's fine and I now have a dedicated Elizabethan Mixture small briar because this is now a regular blend for me.

Pipe Used: Block meerschaum

Age When Smoked: New from tin

Skando Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Skando (155)

I also like VaPer’s.

It was since … say 1990 or the like, I haven’t had the chance to smoke Elizabethan again. This blend has been recently introduced in our country… at an outrageous price (well, let’s forget). I’ve to say it’s been love at first glance !

EM has more than one appealing feature: leaves are good quality, it’s not soaked in PG, it burns so easy, it doesn’t get hot, it’s doesn’t bite, it’s very balanced, Vitamin N is in good dose. If only the Perique were applied a bit more, but no fault indeed.

In my early years as a pipe smoker I was a Dunhill’s lover. I’m just happy Elizabethan is here.

I may see myself smoking this every day, every month, every year. Not a masterpiece, but a very solid smoke.

Age When Smoked: Castello, Duca

Similar Blends: nothing we find in Italy.

sirchud68 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
sirchud68 (43)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant

Just picked up a Few tins from my local B&M. I've already been through 2 tins. I'm trying to cellar some, but...I'm really enjoying this mixture to much to sit on it. A very nice Va/Per you should try if you enjoy such tobacco!

Pipe Used: Peterson's Billard Kapet

Age When Smoked: new tin

Purchased From: Piper's Haven

Medium None Detected Full Pleasant

Elizabethan Mixture . I find this a pleasing Tobacco . The smoke is lovely and full in both texture and taste . The Virginia is the most prominent flavour but the Perique gives a wonderful touch of brightness in the background ! If inhaled it does not hurt and I get no bite at all from it . Also a pleasant room note to it .

Pipe Used: Mr Brog

Purchased From: Smoke King

SmokeKing David Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SmokeKing David (115)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

To begin with, the cut of this blend is typical Dunhill; a uniform, rather thin cut that makes for easy pipe packing. The tin note is sort of like raisins and dates. I like this because it has some complexity to it; both high notes from a light Virginia and some bass notes from the darker Virginias.

To me, there is just the right type and amount of Perique to complement the VAs. I tend to be wary of Perique, but this blend uses that leaf really well.

The reviewer Wibblefishofdoom pretty much summarizes my take on Elizabethan, too.

Govern Yourself Accordimgly.

Pipe Used: Rinaldo Lithos

Purchased From: J.R. Cigars - Southfield, MI

boc777 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
boc777 (18)

If you are looking for a mild English with no standout flavor or character, EM is for you. I will admit that I am a big fan of Nightcap, and also enjoy 965 and Early Morning Pipe. So the Dunhill lineup is strongly in my rotation. Its hard to find a place for EM. The tin note is pleasant, it packs and lights well, really I have no huge beef with it. It just lacks the punch, vitamin N, complexity and taste of some of the other Dunhill blends that I love so much. This one is just a tad boring for me, and with so many other good blends to smoke and try, this one just left me flat. I will let it age a bit, and see if it changes my mind....

Age When Smoked: <1 month

Piepensmöker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Piepensmöker (17)

I never sampled the Murray version, but the Orlik one. A very solid VaPer and a tasty one. Burns very well, due to a very fine ribbon cut. I can imagine, that it could be rolled into cigarette paper as well. But this means, that it is easy to smoke hot and due to the fine nuances, the smoker must be cautious to not draw too often and strongly. Works best with breath smoking, as the flavors develop nicely that way. If smoked too fast/hot, the last third of the bowl is bitter and harsh, so take care.

whippersnapper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
whippersnapper (6)
Very Mild None Detected Very Mild Tolerable to Strong

After opening the tin, I found the tin note rather uneventful. I nearly had to press my nose directly on to the tobacco to get the scent, and I found the aroma to be neither pleasant nor offensive. The tobacco wasn't moist but it wasn't too dry either, and being ribbon cut it packed nicely in to the bowl. It took a small bit of effort to get it lit initially, but once I did I was well on my way...

Upon the first few puffs, I began to wonder if I had accidently packed the bowl with red pepper instead of tobacco? My throat and nostrils tingled and burned and I contemplated whether Perique would be best put to use as a condiment in chili and other foods rather than smoked. It was a spicy sensation for sure, one that I enjoyed myself, but could easily see how others may find it displeasing. I found the over all taste of this blend to be very bland, perhaps even non-existent, with an unpleasant room note to boot. I had to puff hard to get the slightest bit of flavor, sipping yeilded nothing. Then, when the bowl was nearly 3/4th's finished, a small bit finally began to creep through, albeit very mild.

I gave this blend three chances to impress me; twice in a cob and once in a briar, all three proved to be a disappointment. I couldn't even in good conscience recommend this blend to a beginner, for fear that the initial affect of the Perique would turn tham off to pipe smoking entirely.

In summation, I didn't feel it was a bad blend, but it wasn't a good blend in my opinion either. Frankly, it didn't have enough flavor to be considered good OR bad. I'll likely finish this tin by mixing it with some flavorful burleys, and the Perique should compliment them nicely.

If I had to characterise this blend in a word?.....

Boring

I received a good sample of this from a PSF buddy and really enjoyed it. I will state that I have never tried any of the earlier incarnations of this blend and that I am an unabashed fan of Perique.

I found this blend to have an earthy quality to it rather than the hay like sweetness that I am accustomed to accompanying perique. The Perique is in good quantity in this one, but is not overbearing. If I had to compare to another blend, I would say it is like GL Pease Fillmore with a little less perique.

Overall, recommended to the perique lover.

Similar Blends: GL Pease Fillmore.

Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant

The last time I smoked this mixture was back before the internet so it was the old Dunhill blend. So I thought I would retry it in today's version.

First impressions are pretty strong when opening the tin and smelling the tin aroma. Upon opening this fresh tin I immediately smelled the fresh scent of fresh cut hay that good Virginias have with the ever so slight tang of perique in the background. The cut is a thin ribbon in various shades of brown and khaki. The moisture was dead on perfect to just load in the pipe and not wait for it to dry for a day or so. I loaded it in a pipe that I use mostly for Virginias and is a good smoker. I did the light, tamp and then light method and my first impression was velvety smooth. I immediately sat back a and relaxed and slowly savored the smoke. It has the sweetness one expects from a Virginia and smoked slow this really came out and every now and then I would catch a faint whiff of the perique with it's spicy flavor. It was easy to light and stayed lit pretty well all the way down to the bottom of the pipe. It smokes at a good rate, not too fast and not too slow and very dry all the way down. Towards the bottom of the bowl I tasted the perique come out more and the strength of the flavor grew stronger. It leaves a dark gray ash at the bottom of the bowl and just a little dottle. The room note to me smelled wonderful, to my wife it smells like cigarettes. I don't see it as I don't like the smell of cigarettes but I like the note of this one. Oh well, to each his own I guess. I went on to smoke this blend in a variety of pipes, briars, meers, and cobs. Great in all.

In summary, for a Virginia smoker this is an excellent blend. The perique is subtle. For a VaPer smoker this might leave them lacking as the perique is so much in the background. But it is an exceptional blend, very smooth, tasty, does not bite if smoked properly, and I highly recommend it.

Pipe Used: briar, meers, cobs

Age When Smoked: fresh from supplier

Purchased From: in a trade

Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

This may ultimately become my favorite VaPer. Right now that honor belongs to Bayou Morning. Need to smoke more of this first though. This blend seems, to me, to be perfectly balanced. My only complaint is that it burned a little warm toward the end of the bowl. Could be due to the fact that I'm breaking in a new cob with this blend and have no cake yet. I also caught myself getting carried away with the wonderful flavor and puffing too fast. Slowed down a bit and it cooled right down. Great body and flavor. Not complex, but not expected to be. Just a great smoke.

UPDATE: 11/5/2013 It does not burn hot. It was a combo of the factors listed above. Still can't decide between this and BM so I'll do what I always do in these situations; get both.

BigNick Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BigNick (34)
Medium None Detected Medium Tolerable to Strong

Brand new tin ordered a ill while ago, i have been stuck on Dunhill's EMP for a while so I figured it was time to branch out. The tin is obviously awesome, no question about class there. The aroma in the tin was much milder than anticipated. It was a tad moist so I let it breathe. After a couple days I haven't detected much complexity, it's a good and honest blend that delivers a very cool smoke. I had no tounge bit, my pipe didn't even get that hot. I started tasting the... "spicy" kinda smokey flavor of the Perique consistently towards mid bowl during each smoke. In sum, it's a mellow smoke, it's not as sharp as EMP, but I have found that this mixture is a very good morning mixture as well. Highly recommend!

CGHurlburt Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CGHurlburt (24)
Strong None Detected Medium Pleasant

I didn't know what to expect going into this. My previous experiences with Dunhill has been 965 and Nightcap, both of which I enjoy very much. My interest in the other offerings peaked and I purchased some of this and some Royal Yacht. I tried the Royal Yacht and found it to be less strong than many of the reviewers suggested. This blend, in my opinion and in comparison, is stronger. It is also more interesting. I've been smoking golden sliced for a while and several other highly regarded Virginia based blends. This one stands apart from the rest for having that little bit of difference you can't quite put your finger on. I suppose it might be described as that ol' "remembering Grandfather" sort of appeal. It has that aroma of the past and days gone. This is also a tasty smoke that really hits its peak at the midway point in the bowl. The last half of the bowl was a tasty blissful experience for me. I felt it was the best part. Sort of something worth waiting for.

I would recommend this tobacco for anyone that enjoys Virginia based tobaccos. It won't bite you. I feel it has some depth of flavors. It smokes sweet and delicious, not a hint of bitter or sour flavors. It is what you would expect from a high-class brand of tobacco like Dunhill. It tastes good, it doesn't bite, it develops as the bowl progresses, it has a nice aroma, and it isn't gooped up with casings and other nasty smelly-feel-good crap that ruins good pipe tobacco. I give it 4 stars.

SageofCypress Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SageofCypress (1)
Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Medium to Full Tolerable

I was fortunate to receive some samples of this latest incantation of Elizabethan Mixture at July's IPCPR convention. I smoked them while at the show and thoroughly enjoyed them. We finally received our shipment at our brick and mortar late this week and I immediately loaded up my pipe to sample this blend again. Like others have stated, the first half of the bowl starts with a very subtle sweet virginia taste. The second half of the bowl is characterized by the strength of the perique. Yet, I have my doubts this is really perique that I am tasting. It taste more like dark fired leaf and specifically the taste reminds me of Gawith Hoggarth Irish XX rope. Regardless, this is a fine tobacco. The cut is quite fine. The tobacco requires very little drying time and it burns down to a beautiful ash. Highly Recommended.

Stan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Stan (138)

This newer Orlik version is more nearly close to or even better than the older Murray version (which I smoked years ago and stil do).

Orlik reintroduced this some years ago but it was flatter or milder or bland, but now it's re-reincarnation is much better IMO.

A tasty ribbon Virginia, with a hint of velvety sweetness, and a little extra depth and body from the perique. The perique in the older Murrary version carried the body but over years an aged tin with be more spicy.

This is newer but cool and mellow and tasty from top to bottom.

Like Queen Elizabeth I, a softness with inner strength.

It's very good indeed.

Wiseguy1982 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Wiseguy1982 (23)

I bought DH Elizabethan Mixture on a whim. The reason being, obviously, all of the hype.

I loaded my pipe and went to work.

The Gods be praised.

I don't care that this has had past incarnations. I am thankful for and in love with this one.

Along with Capstan Blue, this was an instant favorite.

The bowl starts out mild and easy going, but as the tobacco burns down into the second third, the Perique really kicks in and adds a wonderful spiciness.

I smoke this blend daily and have already had to order another tin.

I would have to say that this tobacco should be tried by any man/woman who places a pipe in their lips.

Cedrick Dunderhill Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Cedrick Dunderhill (3)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Pleasant

I ordered a tin of this as soon as I heard that it is available again, to savour this classic blend. I also ordered a fresh stock of the other DH blends so that I can closely compare and indulge their unique characters. I confess that I love them all.

This is a gorgeous vaper, creamy, almost as if there is the tiniest hint of tonquin. Notes of sweet leather, chocolate, plum, boiled cabbage, pastry, milk, pepper, berries, cherry, orange, custard, trifle, Turkish delight, cashew and brazil nuts.

Go on Orlik! I hope that they will surprise us all and reintroduce some right old DH tobaccos like Three Years Matured.

Dunhill, the obsession of kings...

The Orlik version is surprisingly similar than Murray's, both in tin aroma and taste, if for the cut which is closer to a Shag cut.

It has that tangy smell with unsweetened pastry and raisin as well as of pure tobacco.

It packs very well, lights easily, smokes wonderfully. There is more nicotine to it and it is just perfect.

If you fancy VA/PER, try this classic as soon as it gets to the USA!

smoking-rob Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
smoking-rob (70)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Full Tolerable

This review is about the just reintroduced Orlik 2013 version, which I got today. The tin art is now a paper sticker in stead of the painted tins of yore. On opening the tin and deeply sniffing the contents, I got hay, some apricots and a little chocolate. On inspecting the contents a nice and short ribbon cut greeted me which facilitates packing of the pipe and ensures a good even burn. This is obviously high quality leaf with no stalks whatsoever and the moisture content was spot on as well. Light it up and you get a lovely, creamy full smoke with no harshness at all. Perique is there to flesh out the virginia's but not to temper its tendency to harshness or bite, as there is none. I am ill-equipped to judge the question how it compares to the older versions although I have once smoked a Dunhill produced tin in the late seventies. But at that time it was too strong for me, being only used to mild aromatics. Nowadays I enjoy Vapers and this Elizabethan sets the standard IMO.

Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

I used to smoke this back in the Murray days and wish it was still in production. My wife doesn't because she couldn't stand the smell of this one. Maybe she put a hit on this blend? Seriously, I thought it was a great mixture of Virginia and perique. The perique was peppery without the plum taste and the Virginias were top quality, brown Va. and specs of lemon Va. flakes. It had a nice nic hit and a consistent taste that stayed with you. It always burned perfectly like your best dream. I miss it greatly.

Btw, the Sutliff Match is kind of close, except it has less lemon Virginia than the original. I know it's a close match because it not only tasted much like I remembered, but the second my wife smelled it, she complained it was strong. "Didn't you used to smoke something stinky like that?" Memories...

8-14-2013 Update: I just tried the new version. I find it a bit different than the Murray's version. Less bright Virginia, less perique, and the cut is not ribbon, but shag, so it burns faster. It tastes similar to the old version, but lighter, and frankly, not as good. I also suspect the tobaccos are young and needs aging. I like it, but I don't love it. 4 stars for old version, two for the new version. I'm rating it at two stars since the old is lamentably dead and gone, and I believe my rating should reflect the current version, which has become a okay starter blend for VaPer newbies. That's not bad in itself, but not what I'm looking for at this point in my smoking life. They should have made the effort to replicate the Murray's version, and not foist a cheaper version on the market under the same name.

SirLoirn Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SirLoirn (126)
Extremely Strong Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable to Strong

Tin: Musty, fruity, with an overall straw smell. Mostly blonde with some brown. Moisture level imparted a feel of freshness.

Packing & Lighting: Packs easy. Lights with one match easily. The tobacco is a little damp, as evidenced by dottle left in the bowl; no gurgle, though.

Taste: Mostly light VA, not sweet at all. The perique is there, not in a dominant overture, but in a minor undertone. The taste is mild, vague, compared to the strong effects of the nicotine. The strength is not balanced by taste. It has too much tasteless strength.

Aroma: Light VA. There is more quality in the aroma, compared to the taste, but the nicotine strength again way outmatches the aroma.

Nicotine: strong nicotine kick, maybe even in the realm of a nicotine blast.

Room Note: Medium. The VA imparts a hay quality. The perique leaves a dank, humid odor.

Overall: It seems that many quality tobaccos economize in the use of condiment tobaccos. They supposedly have a high content of these tobaccos but don't deliver too much. In the case of Elizabethan, it retains high nicotine strength, but the important qualities of taste and aroma just aren't delivered in much quantity, giving a washed out or diluted effect. Elizabethan has little perique taste, with an overabundance of VA, with even the VA lacking distinct aroma and taste. It is predominantly VA, overstrong, and not sweet. 2.2 stars.

Noorrmm Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Noorrmm (193)

Appearance: A slighly broad ribbon cut, about equal parts medium and dark colors. Ribbons are quite uniform, typical Dunhill attention to detail

Aroma: Good matured Va. sweetness, black Cavendish nutiness, and the sour tang of Perique. Yummy.

Packing: Packs easily in most pipes, group 3 and up.

Lighting: Typcal lighting procedure, not too quick or too slow.

Initial flavor: Lots of Virginia body, and the Perique asserts itself right away, although not too strongly. Just enough to let you know it?s there.

Mid-bowl: Good layering of flavors, sort of like Escudo Lite. A middle of the road Va/Perique mixture. Burns well, stays cool unless really puffed with vigor.

Finish: Burns clean and dry right to the end. Very little change in taste, maybe a tad more tingle from the Perique.

Summary: Stands alone as a great mixture, one of the few Va/Perique in ready-rubbed form. If you like the combo, try a can.

DEN-C1956 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DEN-C1956 (28)
Medium Medium Medium Very Pleasant

having read the reviews of this tobacco...i was very pleased to see it in my local tobacconist and bought a 50g there and then,and im quite pleased that i did,its a blend that i have never tasted before and i like it very much easy to light and quite relaxing to smoke, nice tin aroma,and room note and no tounge bit,and i will buy this again without doubt but so far the best Dunhill for me so far is MM965 but Eliabethan mixture comes in at a very close 2nd.

Joeray Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Joeray (61)

This is a nice starter for virginia - Perique blends. I really love the smell when i open the can for the first time. A sweet and fruity smell is very nice enter my nose and the cuts is very beautiful to see. Golden - yellow leaves mixed well in the can and make a beautiful view.

Like others Dunhill's blends, is easy to pack it into my Stanwell facet's bowl, i made 3 layer packing (like usual when i smoke mixtures blend) and make a good charring light to ensure the top of the layer burnt well and then i made the 2nd light and is easy to burn. The smokes is really great, almost like McClelland bulk #2015 but this is more smooth and mellow with sweeter taste and also easier draw. I dont get the spicy and peppery taste at 1st draw but it appears after about the 5-6th times draw.

This is a really relaxing journey, no excessive kick or overwhelming taste. Just a smooth and pleasant smokes that is nice and slow but not made me get bored. Slowly increasing but not overpower, and still nice until the bottom of the bowl.

Pipe Used: Stanwell 163 Facet

Age When Smoked: Fresh and 1 year

CTS Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CTS (110)

Good pure tobacco flavors. Spice/pepper on retrohale. Well behaved from initial light, and, through the bowl. Strength and taste pick up through the bowl. 2+

Pipe Used: Karl Erik, Nording Freehand

Age When Smoked: Unknown; at least 6 months.

Purchased From: Corona Smoke Shop, Battle Creek, MI

CPT/VSG Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CPT/VSG (70)

This review is of the new re-issued EM. I have a Murray's tin in the cellar but haven't cracked it yet for comparison purposes.

Although I am primarily a Balkan/English style blend smoker, the new EM has vaulted to the top of my VaPer list. A nice dried fruit aroma rises from the freshly opened tin, and the taste doesn't disappoint: good Virginias with the spice of Perique. Ready to smoke out of the tin, EM satisfies every time with a bouquet of sweetness and spice. I'm looking forward to aged tins which can only improve with aging. Recommended.

Pipe Used: Briar, meerschaum.

Age When Smoked: Less than three months, probably.

Purchased From: Pipes & Pleasure, Columbus, Ohio

Similar Blends: Esoterica Dorechester..

Virginia lover Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Virginia lover (126)

A well behaved Va/Per, with Virginias that are the main actors and Perique playing a supporting role. The Virginias are tangy, cigarette like, very straight forward. The Perique is there in spades, not as full flavored or peppery as in Deluxe Navy Rolls but it nicely complements this mixture.

Burns very fast to a white ash due to a fine cut. This tobacco is better enjoyed when sipped instead of puffed fast. For me, this tobacco could be smoked at any time of the day as it's not particularly strong in the nicotine department.

cgar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
cgar (37)

Glad to see this one back. Quality leaf and very nice smoking qualities. Will keep in my everyday rotation when I have those mood swings that take me from my normal lat. blends

This is a nice little VAPER, has changed over the recent years, but can still be relied upon for a good tangy smoke. Can be a little pricey depending on your shop. Jrs has this line cheaper than most.

Medium to Strong Very Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

A tin from 2001, picked up on the secondary market. It was a bit on the too dry side, so I slightly rehydrated it.

I would call this a very good to excellent middle of the road but perfectly balanced VaPer. Others have more interesting Va's or Perique, but few have such a good balance between the two. As much as I like it, I'm glad I don't find it fantastic -- I'd hate to have to search this out for more, but I am sorry it's no longer in production. VaPer fans should try to sample this.

Edit for new version 09/25/13: not as well balanced as the older version, but that is likely because of the age that old tin had. This is a good medium VA/light Per blend; now we'll see how it ages!

Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This review is based on three tins of the Murray's. I must admit that the first few bowls were Ok, but I am so glad I stuck with it and finally matched the right pipe to the blend. I find that I like it best in a small bowl. It packs well and leaves a nice white ash. Elizabethan is of the same high quality of the other Dunhill blends made by Murray's. Several reviewers have called this blend "rich" and not only is that the right word, but maybe one of the only Vaper's that the word "rich" would apply,although there are many outstanding Vapers in the marketplace. The smell of straw and raisins in the tin makes my mouth water! I find the perique is in the background and from my point of view plays only a minor role. The mix of Virginia's is perfectly balenced. I cannot think of another blend to compare this mixture to and sadly its now gone except for the stray ebay tin. If you are a fan of outstanding Virginia's it's worth the price of the hunt. Highly Recommended.

JohnnyMcPiperson Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JohnnyMcPiperson (89)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Can't get this one anymore, but it was a personal favorite early on in my pipe smoking. I happened upon a couple tins of it a while back, smoked one and saved the other, I love it! It has a delightful smooth velvety taste and yet a peppery spicy finish, excellent blend! I especially enjoy smoking it on a cool summer night at the beach after a few drinks, it goes nicely I think with the smells of summer! In the tin I find it has a nice old paperback smell, which I love, every time I open a book I'm reminded of this blend amongst a few others.

Weber 62 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Weber 62 (4)
Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I wish Dunhill had included this blend in their new line. I have some of this left and always enjoy it. It's light and dark virginia with some perique, but I almost taste a slight burley flavor. I usually don't care for burley and it doesn't contain any. It's not that I don't taste the excellent virginias, it's just that it has a kind of earthy burley character to me.

M.Toney Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
M.Toney (53)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable

Paid a premium sum for a vintage tin...around 45 USDs. I couldn't understand what all the fuss was about and had to determine for myself why this stuff commanded such a high price. Well, a ten year old tin of this stuff was about as good a Va/Per as any. Reminds me of Three Nuns & makes an excellent substitute.

There are other VA/Pers available that I feel are compatible with this blend...including Escudo's Navy DeLuxe which is, IMO, as good or better even without age. It's good stuff, but not worth the price I paid. For the money, Escudo is hard to beat. Still, this rates four stars because it is a really good VA/Per.

Claudius Stradivarius Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Claudius Stradivarius (171)
Medium None Detected Medium Tolerable to Strong

Nice rich flavour. This is a very long cut mixture.

Again, I did not try the new Orlik - now Scandinavian Tobacco Group owned- version.

Shawn_M Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Shawn_M (43)
Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant

This is blended very well in MHO, the perique is noticable but not overwhelming and compliments the other tobaccos nicely. When a tin is opened there is a pleasant full "earthy" aroma, it smokes strong and goes well with expresso or turkish coffee.

My wife has told me it smells rather pungent, but not overly offensive.

Juna Gu Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Juna Gu (31)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

I liked this stuff. My first mix of perique. It was back in 1998? So an oldy tin. All I can say is that I finished a tin of it off and still have fond memories. Haven't seen it about of late.

Capt. Cavendish Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Capt. Cavendish (21)
Medium to Strong Mild Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

I have always thought that pipes and the sea go hand-in-hand. Therefore, it is fitting that the tin has a sailing vessel on it. Call me simple, but that's honestly what drew me to this blend in the first place. If you like genuine tobacco flavor (as opposed to aromatics), this is a decent blend. I think it mellows and gets better with age. Room note is not great, but it's a good smoke a few times a year. I have sometimes pondered its historicity--was this what people smoked during the reign of Queen Elizabeth? If so, history buffs will enjoy diving back into the 1600s with this mixture.

ruffinogold Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ruffinogold (82)

This is a popular blend and is of real good quality . I just find it kinda flat and boring . Normally I'd write more about a blend but I cant w/ this one

Kapnismologist Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kapnismologist (30)
Mild None Detected Mild Tolerable

Medium cut pale brown, dark tan, and dark chocolate to nearly black ribbons of varying length. In the tin, it offers aromas of fermenting fruit, wood, and spice. Tinned dense and moderately moist, after a bit of drying time the ribbons pack and take to the match with ease.

Soft with a silky mouthfeel, Elizabethan Mixture is comprised of a core of delicate Virginias married with Perique. Quite mild, it offers subtle citric and woody notes along with a light peppery spice. Not of a sweet sort, the Virginias are anything but rich and it can take a bit of work to coax an appreciable amount of flavor from the blend. A Perique high note is appreciable throughout the bowl, although a fishy note emerges now and again. On the light side of medium bodied, the finish is short and airy.

The sample on which this review is based came in the form of a 50g. tin produced by the now defunct Murray's around 2002 or thereabouts, and this reviewer sees little reason to seek out more elusive tins of this rather bland and boring mixture. Perhaps this was a bad tin, but there seems very little reason to risk it again given the relative abundance of proven winners in the same genre, of which there are many produced on both sides of the pond.

Alguhan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Alguhan (140)

I had the opportunity to smoke an almost 7 years old tin of this. It was a great experience. The taste and overall smoke were very very pleasant. Addition of perique maybe has added a character to this blend but from my point of view it was not that much necessary. Anyway it was damn good in this way too..

It packs and burns fine, leaving a clean white ash. You get sorry when you finish each bowl, so smoke it as slow as possible.

viscfab Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
viscfab (81)
Medium to Strong Mild Medium Pleasant

Probably the best (pure) VA blend I have had in my briars. Okay, it is not pure, it hasa bit of spicy and strong perique to it, ut the quatity is just ab right not to turn it into a nicotine bomb. Smell in the tin is deliciously nutty, very pure sweet VA whiff. The tobbacco is dark brown, wel cut and packs greatly. Puff it gently and get aroused by a nice taste of the quality leafs and a pleasant taste. Great Dunhill blend. Dont know where to find it anymore though.

UPDATE 9/10/13

Picked up a tin of the new Orlik version. The tin note was very close to the original but with less of the perique aroma. As for the smoking, the balance that was the hallmark of this fine blend is diminished. The sweetness provided by the lemon virginia is almost MIA and this, oddly enough, makes it seem like there is less perique. The Murrays wasn't loaded with this condiment but it was very noticeable, and it's much less so here. The darker VA taste is at the forefront, up and down the bowl. It's still a good tobacco but it's not Elizabethan... at least not as I remember a fresh tin to be, and certainly not like an aged tin of Murrays. I think I'll pass on this one. It's good but it doesn't bring anything special to the table.

ORIGINAL REVIEW 3/24/09

This one would be in my constant rotation - if I could find it!

Elizabethan is a blend that is well balanced... mild but very flavorful, not overdone on perique but enough there to notice, sweet but not cloying. This is one of what I call "genius blends". It's not my favorite because of its subdued and balanced nature - it doesn't scream "excitement". But its one of those blends I find myself going back to time after time when the hype of this or that new blend is overwhelming. Light and dark virginias play off one another with a whisper of perique in the background of the taste buds that becomes a wonderful room filling aroma of quality leaf. Balance is what this one is all about, and the balance smacks of absolute genius.

If you can find some, buy it. Hopefully some U.S distributor will pick this up soon!

periqueguy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
periqueguy (43)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

Over the years I have purchased and enjoyed this blend as I love the taste of perique and it's obvious, without being overpowering, in this blend. An excellent tobacco for perique lovers and can easily be an all day smoke. I have, on occasion, added a little latakia and IMO,it enhanced the overall flavor of Elizabethan mixture.

Mister Moo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mister Moo (11)
Medium Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

It took a long time to find some EM tins but it was worth the wait. The beauty of this blend is, for me, its balance. The perique doesn't leap out but it is always (just) there, nibbling around the edges. The dark virginias are tasty and rich, deepened and softened by darkness and never crisp/snappy. The first half of a large bowl is pleasing and the second half is worth waiting for. Cut as a slightly coarse ribbon (or a fine shag) this tobak, suitably dry, regularly burns the bottom of the bowl leaving nothing but gray ash. Again, suitably dry, I find no hint of sourness. Perfect with a leather bound book, an overly-stuffed chair and maybe a smoking jacket.

Tobold Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tobold (7)

12/18/08 - This is a "blue-collar" review from a long-time pipe smoker who is neither a connoisseur nor a gourmet. I like subtleties up to a point, beyond which I cannot detect them. There are very few aromatics that I like anymore. I love orientals, latakias, and Virginias, but burley gives me some trouble. Most of the time, I like stronger blends over weaker ones and in larger pipes than smaller ones. I have exceptions to all of the above. With that said . . .

This is from a tin of Orlik production.

This is an interesting mix of very light tan ribbons down to black. There is a hint of perique spiciness in the tin aroma. Mild, delicate, and well-behaved at the match, one can detect the perique in the room note. At mid-bowl, the perique seems dominant, but only because the virginias are lackluster. A rather thin and plain smoke, though not unpleasant, there is little to make me want more. I need heartier fare.

Compares poorly to McClelland's 2015 and even more poorly to Reiner's spectacular Long Golden Flake.

I won't be keeping this one on hand, even if I could find some.

Rated only 3 out of 9 leaves.

Silver Spigot Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Silver Spigot (18)
Medium None Detected Full Tolerable to Strong

This blend is very bitter. Apparently, I don't like Perique. Terrible blend; I fail to see how this could appeal to anyone.

endubito Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
endubito (13)
Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Most VA blends I've tried lately have been too sweet. This was a nice change of pace.

At first match, the VA is all I taste, mild and pleasant and builds slowly in strength as the bowl progresses. About mid-bowl the perique starts to sound in and quickly lends a warm, peppery balance to the mix. This stuff works well for me since none of the players try to hog the scene.

However, there is definitely some bitterness toward the end, which doesn't bother me (I like it better than cloying sweetness) but if that is an experience that ruins a smoke for you, you may want to pass on this one.

Try it if you can find it.

Update

As I've smoked this through more pipes (and found one to give it sanctuary) I've become very fond of this tobacco. Enough to upgrade it to 3 1/2 stars... which is probably about as far as I'll go.

To note: This was a Murrays tin, so it had a few years on it before I popped it. Subsequently I've grabbed a few more tins, but they are different... for those that follow the Dunhill saga, my new (and cellared) tins still say "UK" but are in the EU style tins, so who knows. Seriously, if you can find a Murrays tin (it won't have a paper sticker on the bottom) it will definitely be worth the roll.

Strong None Detected Full Pleasant to Tolerable

New to this blend...but I really like it so far. Will review more thoroughly after some more piping.

====================review========================== This is a good blend. I am puffing away as I write this and am enjoying the warm pepper of the perique dancing with the toasty sweetness of the Virginias.

This lights well...burns well...has a nice nicotine creep, without hitting me too hard. There is some bitterness to this smoke....but not too much. It smokes a little hot for me but I plan on slowing my puffing somewhat. I like this but am still mostly enamored of Nightcap...this lacks some depth.

PipePaladin Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PipePaladin (78)
Strong Very Mild Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

I nice VA blend with strong perique dosage. Robust character that cigar lovers like me would savor.. Unfortunately, as with other masterpieces, this animal is out of production. I wonder if the next generation will be able to enjoy pipe smoking at all with all this sissy laws and nunny prohibitions..

Very Strong Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

An Absolute deadly nicotine and Perique content! Not for the Squeamish- I guess I am squeamish. Take a pass.

Medium None Detected Mild Tolerable

Elizabethan Mixture is a great tobacco and a very nice offering for those who want to venture into VaPers. The dark Virginias are mild and mellow and the Perique is always present, although never overwhelming.

If you already enjoy VaPers, you might find EM a bit unsatisfying in the taste department. Escudo or De Luxe Navy Rolls are way more solid and tasteful, and they don't lack any subtlety.

I give EM 3 stars, recommending it to those who find DLNR/Escudo a bit overwhelming.

bullof7battles Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bullof7battles (7)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I was on the hunt of perique mixtures to try out, I heard this stuff is discontinued, so I thought I would try it to see what I will be missing out on in years to come. I wonder if the seal on the tin was faulty because I was able to twist it open with my bare hands. The tobacco is dry as a bone, crumbling to dust when I touch it. I loaded up my pipe and touched it off and was pleased, though. I think now I am going to have to horde and savor what I can. This is not my first experience with perique. One day my tobacco guy gave me a little bit of some stuff he had laying around at home. He couldn't remember what it was, but it was good.

To wrap up my book, I will buy this stuff again if I find it!

wosbald Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
wosbald (111)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

The tin aroma of the rather short, fine-cut ribbon with some flakey chunks is a dominated by a perique tang, behind which the sweet scents from the virginias are noted. The cut is a. It lights and burns easily.

The virginias mellow and well aged which are adequately supported by a generous portion of fine perique. With a nutty and citric richness, the flavor is pleasant and steady without a great deal of complication.

A fine blend of quality ingredients and a pleasure to smoke which seems best in narrow to medium gauge chambers.

The Punisher Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The Punisher (44)

I was somehow a bit disappointed with EM, I was expecting something stronger on the nicotine side, and more flavorful, especially.

Generally, this mixture is mainly composed with golden virginia, with about one third of brown leaves and a small amount of rubbed out flake that seems to be the noble condiment from Louisiana. The tin aroma reminds me of cigarette tobacco.

On the other hand, it smokes very easily, does not require attention and leaves a nice pile of gray ashes and a dry bowl.

It is not a grand vintage, but it is not a bad tobacco, either. But it doesn't stimulate my creativity or induce a contemplative state...

Redd Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Redd (111)
Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Very Full Extra Strong

Good stuff for a change of pace. Good simple mix of Virgina & Perique. Very Peppery blend. I enjoyed it very much.

highlander999 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
highlander999 (8)

I had always wanted to try this blend, and fortunately got a tin of it before it was discontinued.

A nice blend, but I am still not sure I am a big fan Perique.

churchwarden398 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
churchwarden398 (18)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

As we age, we often hear ourselves saying that _______ is wasted on the young ... My first experience with this blend was a little over 25 years ago. This blend was quite good but being 17 or so I did not have the cash flow to buy this on a regular basis. Because I bought tinned or tobacconist shop tobaccos as a special treat my palate was used to drug store brands. The ambiance of the tin was wonderful - light with a note of perique. It smoked well with a greyish ash. From my readings on this board, the tin I experienced was when Dunhill was still the Dunhill of old. It did help foster a love of perique. Ah youth and innocence. I would rate that tin four stars

Chris08 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Chris08 (37)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Pleasant

This was my first experiment with the Virginia-Perique mixtures; as such my review may lack perspective. This tobacco required nothing more than a charring light and a secondary light, then burned well throughout the bowl. It provided a tasty Virginia tobacco experience, which gained strength toward the bottom 1/3rd. A heavy sweetness came through, more reminiscent of figs than of the citrus taste you could find in a pure Virginia (such as Light Flake). For me the Perique was hardly overwhelming. It would be interesting to have a sample of this tobacco prior to the addition of Perique, so that a comparison could be made on the impact that it makes. Once again, my lack of experience with VaPer mixtures may be hindering my evaluation. I would highly recommend this to someone who is a very light puffer for a slow smoke-perhaps while reading a good book. Smoked quickly, the nicotine may be a bit much for all but the most seasoned smokers. Tongue bite was not a problem, but I smoked very slowly and I suspect it may be more of an issue for quick smokers. This tobacco burned cleanly, leaving a nearly white ash.

Guyrox Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Guyrox (131)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Tolerable to Strong

What a beautiful tobacco!

Very long, medium width cut, with shades of golden, brown, reddish and dark shades.

Predominant are the VA and Périque.

But, quite frankly, abit too peppery for what I could take at the time.

Definitively designed for the lover of well proportioned quantities of Périque in a blend.

Sadly, somehow, the proportion of Pé prevented the VA to shine through.

BUT, as it was a while ago, I recently bought another tin that I will let age a bit, and will share my impressions...it shall prove interesting to see the difference in a 5-6 years range.

ChicagoPipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ChicagoPipe (45)

I was able to pruchase 3 tins of this mixture before they were discontiuned. This was one of the few Dunhill blends I never smoked before. I must say, this is/was an excellent VA/Perique tobacco. The VA are a very light color and smoke sweet with just the right amout of perique for spice. Smokes cool and no bite.

My tins said make in the UK, but the label on the back said make in EU. So I am guessing this is Olrik's version of this mixture. I wished I had smoked this when Dunhill was blending it.

Again we have an excellent mixture that is no longer on the market. But don't fret, we still have Mixture 79 and Borkin Riff!

Highly Recommended

Fumatore Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Fumatore (48)
Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I don?t know how to rate this tobacco. Current version is 1 star and will soon be off the market.

The Murray blend was my favorite morning smoke for many years, and of course would be 4 stars. This was just a very nice light English blend that had enough nicotine to give one a jump-start on the day. I will be hoarding my very last Murray tin for hopefully 30+ years when the doctors tell me I only have weeks to live.

mfreeman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mfreeman (4)
Strong None Detected Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Update: Let us all lower our heads in a moment of silence for the passing of one of the greats.

I have found this to be a great summer blend, meaning it has a bright (I cant say light, for it is fairly strong stuff), fresh flavor. It is different than many V\P blend in that it is much "brighter" and more peppery than say, McClelland's dark star. It is a fine example of Dunhill's usual quality. I have taken to smoke more of this than any other tobacco I have previously smoked; it seems to leave one wanting to come back for more and is not in the least bit tiring. All in all, if you like a "bright flavored" mostly Virginia blend with some Perique, this should do nicely.

Update: I have noticed that some don't feel this tobacco has much flavor. I wonder, if this does not have enough flavor, what would? This phenomenon must be a preference issue.

Addendum After several years I still find this to be the quintessential summer blend.

Addendum 2 Several more years has taught me that the longer one lets it age, the better it gets.It comes a bit moist in the tin, but if it is allowed to dry out to much, flavour is lost.

theworldover Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
theworldover (4)

I'm not old enough to have experienced the much lauded Murrays editions of Dunhill tobaccos, but a co-worker of mine, who is more of an expert than I've ever encountered, told me that the old blend was heavier on the Perique and much stronger. That being said, I am forced to judge this tobacco on its own merits rather than stack it up against its predecessor. I'm a huge fan of Elizabethan Mixture. It's a tin that always has a place in my drawer at the shop. It's not so strong that I can't smoke it on an empty stomach, but it's satisfying and mellowing. The perique is of high quality and well proportioned, so the virginia is not overwhelmed, but complementary. It's got some great zest, and is interesting through the entire bowl. I slightly favor this blend over My Mix 965, and throughly favor it over London Mix, whose Virginia's have a ketchup-y aroma and flavor, similar to that found in certain Mcclelland blends. Elizabethan Mix is currently my favorite Dunhill. It is a blend that I envision Sherlock Holmes smoking in his study for endless hours, and never tiring of.

Pipepundit Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipepundit (168)

Like Thre Nuns, Elizabethan Mixture finds the blind spot in my palate. I can see the usual Dunhill virtues of first rate craftsmanship and good nicotine content - not to forget the delightful tin art - but cannot taste them.

Captain Pete Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Captain Pete (83)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

Not being a lover of perique, but being unable to resist trying a va/per blend in hopes I'll find one I like, I decided to finally pop a tin of this. Admittedly, the tin art was a draw in purchasing, as it's just really cool looking.

Upon opening the tin, I feared I may have made another mistake. The perique was noticably present; the smell of fermented fruit. I could not detect the va. in the tin aroma at all. Fortunately, The taste was not the same (whew). I found this tobacco very easy to load into the pipe, and very easy to get lit. It's consistency is fairly fine cut typical of most Dunhill blends.

The first couple minutes or so the taste was very acrid, very cigarettey. But this began to tone down some as the flavors of the tobacco began to settle in. The virginias were more noticable than the perique in the first half of the bowl, but as I got midway through the perique would jump out at me once in awhile. The taste is pretty natural, but more like a really good cigarette than a pipe. And, the perique in this blend is not as particularly obnoxious as I find in other blends. It has a much more subdued flavor, more like an aftertaste most of the time.

The smoke that this stuff puts off is really acrid, some nose burning vapor. And it smells heavily of tobacco. I will probably have to get a churchwarden to smoke it in if it becomes a frequent smoke. And there is no way any of you with disapproving wives will ever get away with smoking this in the house.

I can say that this is truly a very good tobacco blend. I'm still not sure if the perique in it is too much for my tastes, as that will depend on how well the other tobaccos hold their flavor in the tin after being opened. Usually, the va. flavors fade faster than the perique, and I'm left with something I cannot smoke. If the va.s hold up in the tin, then this is a mixture that I will be sure to revisit time and again. Oh yeah, watch out for the nicotine punch. It surprised the hell out of me.

Sasquatch Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sasquatch (65)
Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

High quality, no doubt, but after a half tin, I think I'm done with this stuff.

Flavor is pretty nice - quality Va with a perique punch, but I can't get past the ashy throat this tobacco leaves me with no matter what I smoke it in.

Presumably, this kind of thing was what Peterson was after with Sherlock Holmes, and the Dunhill offering is a step better for me, but this is a style of tobacco that can fail for being harsh, and for me, this one does.

Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This is a fine VA/Per, I've yet to find a better one. I'm mostly an English/Balkan man and as the season is now winter that's mostly what I'm smoking. During the spring and summer this provides an interesting diversion. A fragrant and natural aroma of VAs (lightly conditioned) is what you smell when you open the tin. The smoke is the same as the aroma, natural, light and pleasant. The Perique component quantity must be very small as I don't find it develops much spice until the end of the bowl. 6-1/2 out of 10 stars.

Merple Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Merple (15)
Medium to Strong Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

It is a very different reach for Dunhill in my opinion and on a spring day with warm early sunshine - it's a great smoke. The perique is suited to the sharp warm air and slight chill. Fry's turkish delight comes to mind and pleasantly odourous from the opening to a great inital taste and easy smoke.

Spice,game and open log fires in an Elizabethan Manor kitchen pass thorugh my imagination as I relax with this one.At time a heaviness that helps the mind wander as the perique does its thing.

I thinks it's a winner. Tend to keep a tin always around

Pipey Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipey (17)

This was a little disappointing to be honest. Usually a lover of VAPER, this one has the un appealing aroma of wet hay, and a boring flavour IMO.

Not what I expected at all.

After a few bowls, I realised that I really dont like Elizabethan Mixture that much and havent touched it again.

VAman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
VAman (26)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This is a spicy, and very flavourful blend. I've recently purchased a few tins and I am pleased with the content. opened a tin and hit the ground running, i ran out of penzance and set laurel heights aside for this lovable and biteless tabacco. if you are a vaper lover looking for a great after dinner smoke you must try Elizabethan.

cell biologist Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
cell biologist (21)
Medium to Strong None Detected Extremely Mild (Flat) Tolerable

This tobacco blend took me a while to appreciate. In my first few bowls it just didn?t taste like anything, just a mild smoke of no consequence. I finally found its flavor in a large Canadian briar from Mark Tinsky. In the first part of the bowl perique?s sour, fermented, dirty sox, grilled fish notes touch the senses, then it settles into a rich, peaty, hearty tobacco flavor in the last half of the bowl. It?s not one I go to often, but I will sample it again from time to time to see if I can bring out it?s subtle flavors. Part of the problem may be that I smoke outdoors and this tobacco may require finesse and still air, or skills I don?t yet possess. In any case there are other tobaccos that really knock me out with flavor; this one seems like it takes too much work to appreciate.

CaptnDan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CaptnDan (242)
Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant

I find some of the other reviews of this blend surprising. I found this to be a very light VaPer compared to my regular choice in this genre - Escudo.

The Va is very muted, and the Perique only really shows up in the last third of the bowl.

Overall, not enough here to keep me interested.

Pipeline Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipeline (206)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

I opened an unaged, UK tin (Murray & Sons) and immediately loaded a group 4 Dunhill pot using the Frank and Gropp packing technique. Bowl after bowlful are consumed with much delight. I hope the EU tin aging in my closet won't disappoint. My wife enjoys the aroma of this wafting into the house.

A large bowl increased the impact of the heavier Virginias and perique, and creating a somewhat harsher smoke.

I have had several tins of the current production of Three Nuns, and EM smells nearly identical, even if better behaved and easier on the system nicotine-wise. Like TN, I think there is some non-descript casing some of the leaf or "fortified" cavendish, but it is quite mild and pleasant.

If Cumberland, Haddo or Escudo are too much to handle on the perique tolerance continuum, this migrating and flavorful blend is worth a try. EM is a step up in strength from 633, Limerick, Dunbar, Dorchester, Black Parrot, and Bayou Morning Flake, and about the same as Acadian Ribbon, but sweeter, less tangy and perhaps more austere (Acadian Ribbon is a touch cooler, not to say EM is hot but it does need minding to keep it comfortable on the mouth).

Still needing to try Mac Blowtorch's Roll Cake ("Only from the kiln of Mac Blowtorch") in my attempt to try readily available, tinned VAP blends.

Flyboy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Flyboy (39)
Medium Very Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

I like this blend. A good mid-morning to afternoon smoke. It packed and burns well though can be a bit moist out the tin. If smoked slowly it is enjoyable, cut the afterburners on it will heat up. I believe aging will improve the overall taste. As it seems lately Dunhill has been on a downward spiral.

Collezionista Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Collezionista (59)
Strong None Detected Medium Tolerable

Hefty stuff, this Elizabethan Mixture. Reminds me quite a bit of the virgina and perique elements of Nightcap in that it is smooth but slighty sour, with a considerable nicotine punch. Yes, the "velvet hammer" phenomenon is certainly present here. Overall, Elizabethan is not the most flavorful or complex vaper out there but it's satisfying in its strength and roundness. A nice change of pace as I find it quite different from my usual vaper fare. Worth a try.

Medium Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

A middle of the road VaPer blend. It comes off a bit harsh compared to Buteras' Esoterica VaPers like Dunbar or Dorchester. I believe the proper moisture content is critical for enjoyment of this blend.

Ducksbreath Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ducksbreath (81)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

*I've upgraded my rating on this blend, which I've gone back to after a number of years away. Perhaps my palate and technique have changed, but properly dried, loaded (fairly tightly) and smoked (slowly), this is an excellent savory and refreshing blend, more suitable for the middle of the day (if you like to start with a kick) as opposed to day's end.

Strong but not rich and with a very perky (but not sweet) bright Va taste and aroma, with the Perique very pleasantly in the background. This is one of the two Dunill blends I've hoarded recently. Reccomended but only to those with a taste for natural, straightforward flavors and strength. *

A couple of years ago, this was a reliable smoke of mine, and I've probably gone through about 8 tins or so all in all. However, I've dropped it almost entirely. There's simply not enough flavor to make this worthwhile for me anymore. What little flavor there is, is delightful, scrumptious, piquant, but too distant. Good as a palate cleanser.

OTRFF Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
OTRFF (44)

I read all of the reviews on this tobacco and was suprised by all of the marginal reviews. I tried this blend just as a change of pace and absolutely loved it. I dont think it is fair to compare it to Haddos as this is a different tobacco. (granted Haddos and this are both Virginia/Perique blends). I found this to pack and light very well and burning qualities were exceptional. It was slightly sweet and had the wonderful Perique tanginess. the room aroma was good and the overall smoking experience is always consistantly good every time. I will buy more to stash away in the cellar and will always have some of this on hand. Highly recommended!!

Mr. Dottle Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mr. Dottle (162)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

In short, I just did not like this blend. I found its taste uninteresting, bland and not to my liking. The flavor was flat and there was little sweetness. It is a medium to strong monochromatic blend, light on the perique with a nicotine kick. If the latter is what you like, go for it. There are many better VAPERs out there that I much prefer over this blend.

A cigarette is to be smoked. A cigar is to be enjoyed. A pipe is to be savored.

I rate this tobacco 4.0 out of 10.

OSR Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
OSR (73)
Strong None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Simply put, this is one of the classics!

When you read the description on the tin, you'll notice that it says LOUISIANA PERIQUE.. not simply "perique", which means that it's the real product. No, this is not laced with some twisted burley, handled/processed like perique. This is the real deal.

Richness.. The first light of the bowl, the LOUISIANA perique makes it's presence known, not unlike the tangy bite of pepper. As the bowl gets it's second light, after tamping, you start to taste the finely aged va's.

When I prepare this tobacco for smoking, I rub it out into small, small pieces and let it dry a bit.

Down into 1/4 bowl, the perique is still standing above the va's but they're beginning to meld. The fullness of this blend keeps me from puffing too hard and not many re-lights are needed.

At half bowl, the tobacco is burning well and the VA catches up to the perique and the strength picks up a bit... sublime!

And for the rest of the way, nothing but full, rich flavor and no bite nor gurgle.

Highly underrated, for those who like their LOUISIANA perique and VA blends, this is one of the best.

FWIW, I never cared for Three Nuns - I found it to be a bit mild and bland. This is THE Va/LOUISIANA Perique that I measure all others against. Highest recommendation.

=addendum 05.23.05= The first tin of this that I opened smoked like !!. Instead of donating this to the local pipe club, I put the tin aside. A month or so later I found the tin and thought "what the heck" and filled a VA/Perique pipe that I was breaking in... Excellent! I'm convinced that some VA blends need to breathe in the tin before consumption. By breathing I mean that you open the tin, let the air get to the tobacco and then seal the tin back up. Go back a month later and BADA BING, it's magic.

Todd Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Todd (9)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

It's been a while since I've smoked Elizabethan, and I'm not going to subject myself to it again. But I have to add my voice to those who say that this blend is stomach-turning. Yes, there's a lot of nicotene here, but that's not all that does it - I've smoked plenty of VA flakes that others deem powerful without a problem. There's just something about the way Dunhill processes this stuff that makes me ill almost as soon as it's lit. That fact that I have a similar reaction to Royal Yacht and Three Year Matured only strengthens my suspicion that this is a processing issue specific to Dunhill.

From what I recall, the actual flavor, burning, and packaging was pretty decent. But not worth the biological consequences by any stretch of the imagination. Apparently, it works better for others at least. 1/4

Danno Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Danno (87)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

I had never tried this Dunhill offering but knew I should as I am somewhat enamored of V and P offerings. Moisture level is top notch, the ribbon cut is as per Dunhill and the blend is wildly colorfull, albeit not showing much in the way of the physical presence of the enigmatic perique...Aroma in the tin is muted, not nearly as sharp as 2015 or Cut Plug, softer rather like Navy Rolls. Honestly, I feel the flavor at lightup seems mostly absent, only really taking its coat off to stay near the halfway mark. Then, good reviewers, this concotion sings. Someone made mention of the "perique zone" he hits with Elizabethan. I concur heartily, I only wish the first half were nearly as scrumptious as the latter. I will smoke up the other 2 tins I purchased, but would not have Escudo or Navy Rolls replaced with Lizzie.

mythdoc Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mythdoc (5)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

As Randy Jackson says on American Idol, this one is "just alright." It burns well, and there is certainly enough top flavor from the perique, but I wish the Virginias used in the blend were more flavorful and distinctive, because I frequently miss the contribution they would make to the whole. Instead, the Virginias tend to recede far into the background, leaving me in limbo. Do I puff vigorously to taste the Va and get a harsh kick from the perique, or do I keep smoking gently and end up with too little flavor? I have successfully mixed this blend with straight Va's such as Marlin Flake to approximate the balance I prefer, but as a blend in its own right this one falls a bit short. 6 out of 10.

emmbee Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
emmbee (174)
Medium to Strong Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Though some find it tacky, I was attracted by the tin art as well as the price. Elizabethan is a delightful flame of browns and yellows in the tin with a subtle nose of moist spring grass. The room note is earthy, though when I?ve smoked it with others, they said it made them ill. The smoke is full Virginia with Perique running in the background, though pronounced enough to make you dizzy and queasy if you?re not careful. It definitely caught me off guard. I was driving during heavy rush hour traffic and almost had to pull off to the side of the road. I must?ve been puffing too frantically as I braced the awful evening snarl.

Because I am a Latakia and Oriental lover, this lacks spice and depth for me. Thus, I found myself adding pinches of Aperitif to give the mixture some color and added zest. This is a fine tobacco if you?re a true V/P aficionado. This might be a once in a while blend for when the need strikes, though with so many great things out there, and so many others I?m eager to try, I doubt if that will occur very often. I?m glad I had the opportunity to try it. Another refined, if unspectacular offering from the House of Dunhill.

Two and a half of five stars

Tiger Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tiger (53)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild Tolerable

Can add only personal taste to the many, many reviews of Elizabethan. I thought it to be too mild and know there are better V&Ps out there. In fairness, the quality of the tobaccos used is quite good and quite apparent and I'm sure a lot of Folks can appreciate this blend. For that I'll give it 3 stars though methinks that's a goodly measure of generosity.

Tiger

Briar Snob Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Briar Snob (10)
Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I am a big fan of Virginia/Perique blends, and will take such a blend over anything with Latakia in it anyday. That being the case, I am familiar with many of the VA/P blends on the market and was looking forward to this particular blend as another one to conquer.

That being said, I opened the tin and didn't think much of the tin aroma. On first light, followed by tamp and re-light, I continued not to think much of the blend. After about four bowls, I was contemplating turning this blend into compost for the plants outdoors. However, the frugal side of me insisted that I keep smoking this blend because it wasn't that bad. Sure enough, the blend has grown on me and I do enjoy it. It has the right amount of VA/P tartness to keep me wanting more. However, its overall flavor is thin, and as other reviewers have mentioned, if smoked fast/hot, it will impart an everlasting reminder as it turns your stomach and leaves you nausiated.

While I eventually enjoyed this tobacco, I would encourage the reader to pick up some Haddos or Escudo instead.

A. Morley Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
A. Morley (73)
Very Strong Extremely Mild Full Strong

By god, I love this blend. From the very first tin of it that I had and through the many that have elapsed my opinion of it has never varied. It is simply perfect and I do not think that the fact of my being a Shakespearian should be assumed to evoke a bias. This is said to be of the character of blends that were being packed into clays during the days when Will walked the earth(it's a shame, really, that it does not seem likely that the Bard was an enthusiast of the pipe in the days of its infancy). As far as I am concerned, if this was the smoking fare of those days of yore, then they might as well have just stoped there. Nothing that has come after holds a candle to Elizbethan.

From its perfect ribbon cut that will burn well but never hot, to its seemingly simple components that put to shame all of the presumed wizzardry of today's tobacco mavens, here is a blend that would, hands down, be my desert island choice--that and a pouch of the Prince.

What so greatly stands out for me in Elizabethan is the hearty portion of bright Virginia with golden and what seems like red to back it. Bright is most often assumed best not unleashed on the world without Latakia or Turkish to accompany it. I have never thought so and greatly enjoy the sooty herbalness of it as expressed here with only the slightest ammount of Perique to prop it up.

Well, that's done. I think it's time that I order another pound.

Regards,

A. Morley Jaques

Esoxhunter Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Esoxhunter (60)
Strong None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable

October 2004

This tobacco is extremely dry. The flavor is front-loaded, with very little sweetness and an unusual, flat aftertaste. Also, the Perique seemed non-existent until the very end of the bowl. If Pease's Haddo's is a White Burgundy or complex California Chard, then this is a straightforward $10 Pinot Grigio. Of course, the lighting and burning characteristics are all top of the line, per Dunhill's standard. It just doesn't work for me.

I'd add that this IS a strong tobacco. I am almost immune to nicotine, partially because I do not inhale my pipes and partially because I smoked cigarettes for so many years. EM, though, almost made ME dizzy. That's quite a feat for a pipe tobacco.

Medium to Strong None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable to Strong

My first encounte with this blend was on a 20 year old tin from the early '80s: it was sweet but not overly so, with spicy and sour notes, at times even toasted ones. It was very nice, as soft as silk and giving its best in a Tinsky Coral "Calabash". At times it was a bit TOO rich and heavy (like Tribute can be), but nicotine-wise it was acceptable.

2004: I tried a fresh tin and it was quite disappointing. Of course 20 years of aging on my previous tin mean something, but I suspect that the decline of Dunhill blends in recent times is the main culprit of my disappointment. It tasted bland, very ordinary, and although it did became more intense and tasty after mid-bowl, I really think there are several tastier and more interesting Virginia/Perique blends out there. This new tin was also heavier in nicotine (I also feel that Nightcap and 965 have recently become stronger). Considering the actual quality of the product, I can say it's a decent smoke but nothing memorable. Shame on you, Dunhill!

2014: Ten years later, I am revisiting this blend, in the new incarnation from Orlik after many years of absence. Luckily, the nicotine content and overall heaviness has been tuned down. This is a very gentle blend, which doesn't mean it's wimpy or vapid, but simply that the current version displays more finesse than the 2004 Murray version. Still... it's a rather unexciting affair. Still rather gray and dull, smokable but not memorable. Very low key, playing on earthy rather than on sweet/sour. Much easier perhaps due to the lower nicotine (even in largish bowls), but still I feel that there is much better around in the same genre. It must be said that I tend to prefer Va/Per in flake form, of course.

Danmark Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Danmark (1)
Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

Wonderfull Tobacco, pleasent Perique taste at the end of the bowl.Nice burning...What more can I say: 1 h... of a good bacca ;-)).............But no longer available in Denmark:-((

Steerpike Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Steerpike (60)

A much lighter Virginia Perique blend than Navy Rolls (Which I love), The Virginias are lighter and fruitier than the pressed ones found in the Navy Rolls. It's cut as medium shag, not too course or too fine, packs and lights with moderate ease, as do all the Dunhill tobaccos Ive tried.

The flavour starts as a really mild, fruity virginia taste, and builds only a little through the bowl, until near the end the spicy perique appears. Theres not a huge ammount of Perique in this, but enough to notice it, and it makes a pleasant finish to the smoke. It burns evenly, needing a couple of relights if you smoke it gently, which I advise that you do, as the light virginia could bite if it gets too excited.

Not an enourmous smoking experience as some of the other perique blends can be, this is a pleasant smoke all the same, and is of about the right strength to smoke rather a large bowlful while reading a book.

2ley Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
2ley (11)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable

Maybe it's me, but when I first opened the tin I thought I'd just mowed the lawn. The perique in it just didn't seem to rise to the challenge, and the flavor was "bright" without being too interesting. I didn't have any problems with the strength, but then my continuous favorite is Nightcap, so that's not surprising.

It's an OK smoke, but not really a great one.

chaplikc Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
chaplikc (135)
Strong Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I am a big fan of virginia/perique blends and was expecting to like this because of the reviews i've read and things i've heard about this blend. This just does not compare to some of the other blends in this genre that i've tried. Im not going to say that this is a bad blend however it does not grab my attention. I may try it again in the future to see if my opinion has changed on this.

Magnulus Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Magnulus (8)

This is another common pipe tobacco. It is a Virginia-Perique blend. I believe the Virginias are mostly red or aged lemons. The long ribbon cut can make even packing in a small pipe tricky, and the chunks of perique can really get peppery if you don't get an even pinch. As I really love Perique this doesn't bother me.

The flavor of this tobacco is a Virginia heavily fortified by Perique. There is some zest and a subtle sweetness from the flue-cured leaf. Sometimes you can actually taste the Perique on it's own, in which case you get a heavy, dark tobacco flavor that is somewhat tangy or peppery. Mostly, the Perique boosts the overall body of the blend, accentuating the deeper themes like a bass violin in an orchestra. The blend just isn't as integrated as a flake, though, so occasionally the Perique does a solo of its own. It burns well enough and does not produce any bite.

The room note is like a strong English cigarette, with a darker tobacco flavor.

The strength of this blend is substantial, but again it's not really what I'd call a "strong" tobacco, but it's definitely for experience smokers only.

Some have compared this blend to Escudo, but I find Escudo at best to be a much milder blend with far less of an emphasis on Perique, and far more tongue bite.

Mike Castello Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mike Castello (49)
Medium None Detected Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I was looking over the reviews on EM and to my surprise I found that no one said it was one of their favorites and one of their regular smokes. So, I thought I should say it. Elizathean Mixture is one of my favorites and I smoke it often. There, now I feel much better. Now on with a short review. EM is rich in Perique with a beautiful aroma from the tin. The tobacco needs to air and dry for a few days after opening before smoking. I like to give it a good 3-5 days with the lid off. Then, pack the first bowl and sit back for a full tasting no nonsense Perique blend. It is a smooth Perique unlike some that have a harsh and ruff taste to them. Elizabethan tastes rich and mellow right down to the bottom of the bowl. When this blend is cellared it gets even better. I love Perique and this is one of my favorites. I don't compare it to other Perique blends such as Three Nuns. They have their own individual personalities. Elizabethen, Astley's no.2, and Three Nuns are at the top of my Perique list.

Nojoqui Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Nojoqui (28)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I have been smoking E-Mixture for years. It's simple, easy to find, tastes great from top to bottom, and it's easy to find. Upon opening a new tin I am blasted by raisin of Virginia and the plum of Perique. It packs easily, as do all of the nicely cut Dunhill blends I've smoked. Nice short cut ribbons. It's obviously more of the light Virginias than the dark, with a need to search out the Perique. It seems to me that this is just enough of the latter to enhance the Virginia's sweetness. The char is full and sweet without becoming overpowering. There seems to be no flat spots or burdening (I can't wait to finish this bowl) nuances about it. This old gal Eliza burns dry to the bottom with a nice grey/white ash. I rarely use pipe cleaners to dry out the bowl with this Virginia oriented tobacco, as I have to with flake style Virginias. This stuff has been through a whole assortment of sizes and shapes of pipes that I have owned over the years. It seems to be best in a certain English Canadian second (that is completely unblemished) that I picked up in the seventies. Not many firsts today equal the quality and smoking quality of that pipe, which was broken in with this, but E-Mixture smokes just as great in a number of other much newer pipes that I own. I'd give this tobacco the nod, but I don't believe it holds a candle to some of the newer Pease blends like Haddo's Delight. I'm now using HD as a yardstick to compare other Virginia/Perique blends. Frankly, I am an English blend fan (965 is another of my long time Dunhill favorites). So, for me it's often a V/P in the earlier part of the day, and a finish with an English like 965 or Nightcap, or even Dark Star, or Frog Morton, in the evening. But If a "10" is Haddo's, then Elizabethan Mixture is an "8" to me.

BriarLaw Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BriarLaw (85)
Medium to Strong Very Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Nice typical Dunhill ribbon cut. Easy to pack and light.

Reasonably nice tin aroma with the emphasis on VAs with a hint of Perique. Not too much of that Perique stewed fruit aroma (which I love).

However, the flavor was too flat tasting for me. Just sort of dryish, smokey and strong. No complexity and very little natural VA sweetness. Serious nicotine hit which is a plus or a minus depending on your preferences.

Bottom line: There are better VA/Perique blends out there.

WxGuy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
WxGuy (95)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable to Strong

I smoked my way through a most of a tin of this venerable Dunhill blend when I was first picking up the pipe hobby. I bought it on a whim and on Dunhill's reputation, as it is a big tobacco world out there and you have to start somewhere. I believe this was the first nonaromatic and non-english blend I had tried.

I was frankly disappointed. Plus, this was one of my first experiences with real bad tongue bite. Youza! The stuff seemed to smoke harsh and HOT. Of course, I was not calibrated to blends with a high virginia content. There was neither a sweetness or a smokiness, so what was the point? The tin aroma was flat, also seemed to suggest nothing special.

I got that tin at a local tobacconist's store that carries only about a dozen tinned blends, so I figured that this must "one of the best". (I later found out that he stocks the stuff mostly for two regular customers that each buy 1+ tins a week at his greatly inflated price. So much for that theory...)

Well, fast forward to the present. After having discovered the wonderful world of Va/perique blends through Escudo, I decided to try the other VA/p offerings out there. Some reviewers gave the impression that Eliza. was one of the best around, kind of like a toned-down Escudo.

So... Back to the end of my tin, which by now had considerable cellar time. Since it was stored in an airtight container, it was still in good shape. Eliza still smoked hot, but I could handle it much better with a slow and shallow draw. It had a great body, almost chewy, but... where was the perique? It IS there, but true to legend, it plays but a minor role. It is NOT the best virginia out there by any means, even with some age, and for a VA/P blend it is not at all a standout, like Escudo or Haddo's or even McClelland's #2015 Va Flake. I have enjoyed the last of this tin, but will probably not replace it. It is a quality product, just not one suited to my tastes at this point in time.

One last point: Several of the other reviews here mention the high nicotine content of this blend. I am a confirmed nicotine wimp, but never had a problem with Eliza, maybe because I use a smallish bowl for this blend.

Paddy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Paddy (125)
Medium Very Mild Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I have always considered this one a bit unusual in the way it delivers the Perique. The tobacco is a ribbon cut in every shade of brown. I never get much tin aroma except for the very faint odor of fermented apple, just a wisp. It starts out with a lightly sweetened Va. flavor. The sweetener is very light and reminds me of honeydew melon, bright on the tongue but quite faint. Nothing interferes with the taste of extraordinarily good tobacco. The smoke then moves to a darker Virginia flavor with plenty of depth. My guess is that the combination of the various Va.s, the sweetener and the Perique produce a smoke that is absolutely unique and tasty. Finally the Perique emerges full bore as the Va moves to the background, and Lordy! we are in the Perique zone. At this point the constant, mouth watering tang of Perique carries the smoke to the end of the bowl. This is rich tobacco. One of the truly great Va./Perique blends. Dunhill knows tobacco. Most highly recommended. Paddy.

gee Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
gee (7)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Tolerable

This is an absolute standard. Perhaps this is because I normally smoke English blends. There is something very English about this despite being a virginia perique blend. Perhaps one would say that this is more savory than sweet and spicy. There's something of the cornish pasty in this one. But then that is exactly what the English smoker would look for in a virginia perique. Of course to be sure there is a sweetness, but it is nothing like the raisins and figs one might expect from the likes of McLelland. Indeed even Pease's vrginia perique do not quite capture the essence of this tobacco. High in nicotine and sweet on the palate, there's nothing else quite like it. An Englishman's V and P, and filled with a certain, simple, nostalgia like nothing else besides Pease's Renaissance.

Medium to Strong None Detected Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This is one heck of a tobacco! I can't say enough good about this stuff. I have been leery of VA/P blends for sometime, and only finally succumbed to this blend after my local tobaccanist gave me a major recommendation. This took a few bowls to really kick in, but after it did I found it to be a good alternate on my all day smoke line up. The virginias are not to sweet and taste absolutely heavenly! The perique is very tame and adds the perfect amount of spice to the mix. One strange little detail-in the background the perique made me think of fresh jalapenos! Not in an overwhelming way at all, but with a bit of tickle on the back of the throat, and a freshness that I don't normally associate with smoking a pipe. I have had several of my buddies who smoke pipes try this blend and they all fell in love with it immediately. You can't go wrong with this one. My family seems to like the room note as well!??

BriarNorth Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BriarNorth (49)
Strong Extremely Mild Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I think the Perique in this blend is in perfect proportion for me, which is to say that it's not the dominant feature. You get the pleasant pepper tang and spice on your throat, backed up by toasty virginia, without having to scratch your chin and wonder "am I really enjoying this stuff"? What I like best about this weed is that it delivers quite adequately in the nicotine department. I manage to fire up often enough to keep the jones-meter down, but if I ever get into trouble, I know I can count on Liz to restore sanity! Anyone venturing into Perique-land tentatively (as I do) will find a safe enjoyable smoke here that can be smoked frequently or as a change of pace. Don't let stronger Periques like Haddo's Delight scare you away. This is good smoke!

Briarabbit Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Briarabbit (116)
Very Strong Medium Overwhelming Overwhelming

This tatse like some kind of perique with marijuana leaves chopped up in it. I got sick after smoking it too. What the heck is in this stuff I'll never know. I can hardly believe Dunhill makes this crap. I'll stay away from this one,but if you like it go for it. Its your stomach thats going to hurt ,not mine.

Strong None Detected Full Strong

I tried this one at a very early stage of my pipe smoking, and found it strong, harsh and almost abrasive. About five years later I had another go. It still seemed strong, but my palate did not detect the harshness and dry elements, and was able to go through a 100 gm. Tin. More recently I had a third try, and even though this is not my favourite Dunhill I think I have come to appreciate the particular structure that gives this tobacco its strength and specific zest.

Probably the Virginias used in this blend are so matured or processed in such a way, that most of the natural oils, sugars and sweetness seem to have gone. Instead, they offer a tough, rather toasty flavour, that asserts itself in the palate with a very high density. I believe the lack of oils makes the leaf seem drier than it actually is, but you do get the impression of a raw and heavy tasting tobacco, closer to the Oriental blends than to pure Va. Flakes. Secondly, the added Perique seems to be prepared in quite a different way than the one used in at least one AC Petersen blend, or Solani?s or Stokkebye?s. It has not got that piquant and tangy quality. Its more peppery and sharp. As a result, the blend seems to smoke hot and heavy.

No doubt, this is a veteran?s tobacco. There is no nonsense or hidden hints about EM. It gets straight to the point, and hits your taste buds with the bluntness and matter-of-fact tone a Queen would command upon a subject. I much prefer Fox?s Provost mixture (similar in the Virginian component), but I gather a well seasoned smoker should handle and enjoy this rather hard-hearted royalty member.

Inquisitor Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Inquisitor (155)
Strong None Detected Medium Tolerable to Strong

I don't know who says this tastes like Three Nuns, but I suspect it is Dunhill. I can't imagine anyone else coming up with this comparison. This smokes like a brown rope tobacco - strong, high nico, one-dimensional, harsh (but you might like it if you like ropes...). While Three Nuns is cut from a rope-like form, it has flavors and subtleties that Elizabethan doesn't even hint at.

I love VA/Perique blends, but this tobacco leaves me flat.

Medium None Detected Medium Very Pleasant

===First reviewd 5/02=== I was quite pleasantly suprised that I liked this mixture. I opened the tin with concern because I am not a lover of perique, and normally avoid that Louisiana produced weed. I was told tinned Lizzie was one of the best perique blends on the market, so, I decided to give the old girl a whirl, and I am glad I did.

Elizabethan mixture is flavorfull enough to satisfy without being particularly strong. It also leaves the perique far in the background (which I appreciated).

There was a variant of flavors as I worked my way down the bowl. At the final one third of the bowl, the perique did begin to show its face. So, I simply let the fire go out.

=== UPDATE 8/4/02 === I recently received a 100g tin of this blend from a friend who had it made especially for him at the Dunhill store in London. It was made without the perique. The blend is still not one of my favorites, but was quite tasty.

tillmanj Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tillmanj (73)

Tin Aroma: This blend, on first whiff, was almost sour with Perique. After a bit of airing out, the tin aroma took on something of the Virginia character of the blend, and I knew I was in for a powerful experience.

Physical Characteristics: A short, thinnish ribbon cut, leaning more towards the blonde end of the color spectrum than the dark brown, but still nicely balanced. Packs like a charm once it has aired out a bit, and smokes evenly to a cool grey ash.

Notes: I have smoked two tins of this, one 'new' and one with a year's worth of aging on it. I FAR preferred the aged tin, so much as to not really recognise that they were the same tobacco. As a matter of fact, if I had not smoked then one after the other, it would have been hard to make the connection between the two. Where the young tin was grassy and musty, the aged tin I smoked had none of these flavors, being instead a full-on tobacco-tasty experience. This is a powerful blend, and those faint of heart when it comes to nicotine should probably smoke this sitting down.

Verdict: I much enjoyed the tins of this I have smoked, and will waste no time in putting more of this in my cellar. I would heartily recommend aging this to anyone, and especially to those new to Virginia/Perique blends.

PuffNStuff Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PuffNStuff (10)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Tolerable to Strong

I'm still trying to make my mind up about this one. Elizabethan mixture has an primitive taste: Very earthy/woodsy with the tanginess of the perique poking through. The light and the burn were very good (as are will all Dunhill products I've encountered), and this blend does have a strong nicotine kick. Still, I'm not overly impressed with the flavor. I've not had a lot of experience with Virginia blends, so maybe the fault I find with this tobacco is simply that the taste of Virginia tobacco isn't my cup of tea. Someone in my hometown must like it, since it's one of the few tinned tobaccos the local tobacco shop carries.

I'll reserve full judgement on this one for some other time. I'd definitely try this one again, but I don't think I'll make it one of my regulars.

JoeBriar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JoeBriar (10)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This is a strange tobacco. Although there's nothing wrong with it (apart from being a bit one-dimensional compared to Light Flake) it makes me feel queasy afterwards - I'm not the only person to say that so there must be something odd about it. Burns in the usual flawless Dunhill fashion. Easy to pack & light. If you like a light perique, MacBaren Roll Cake may suit you better.

lustra Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
lustra (170)
Very Strong None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable to Strong

Do you remember the Sea Hag from Popeye cartoons? Strip away this blend's stately packaging and what's left is pure hag de mer--toothless but terrifying. It can't seem to bite, but it'll make your innards quiver if you get too familiar with it. That is, this stuff is quite strong enough to give you the queasies if you don't watch it. Besides it's remarkable strength and easiness on the tongue, though, this blend has no particular characteristics. It's just a bland sort of Virginia, good enough, but sort of boring. Don't be lulled, though. It's still the Sea Hag, and it'll get ya.

howie Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
howie (46)
Strong None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable

This review has been written as a portion of a three part review of Elizabethan Mixture, Haddo?s Delight, and Dorchester. For the best understanding of my thoughts on this, read all three together. I have recently completed tins of all three, with comparison in mind. 2/2002.

This is not the tobacco that I remember from years past. I opened this immediately on purchase, and it may have needed some more time in the tin to age. This is a ribbon cut with more light VAs than in the the others. Early bowls after opening burned very tart and citric to the taste. I found that I needed to add a pinch of Perique to each bowl to get close to the flavor that I was looking for.

The tin aroma is rather flat to my nose, leaving me leery rather than anticipatory. The ribbons are 2-3mm and can be several inches long. The tobacco packs nicely.

This has too much in the way of high notes for me, without the depth and character of the others in this combined review. I often found myself diving out of the way of the slipstream, which is dry, acrid, and unpleasant. If found the bottom of the bowl to taste ashy and a bit of a chore. The strength is more than I prefer.

There are better blends out there that make it unlikely that I will return to this.

Eulenburg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Eulenburg (193)
Mild to Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

I believe this was the first Périque blend I ever tried, seduced by the fact that its strawberry-honey hue reminded me of the unattainable mane of some beauty I was dying for at the time. The kitschy illustration on the tin seemed too utterly neat as well.

It was supposed to be Ol' Alfred's answer to Escudo, or Three Nuns. That it is not, but it is a good blend, and much easier to smoke than those two temperamental divas! Elizabethan will not suddenly go "poodle in flames" at you, and taste like burnt curdled milk. Impatient youths whose tongue quivers at the name VIRGINIA will appreciate Elizabethan's tried-and-true finish?the Dunhill hallmark, surely?and the Périque is very moderately, even staidly, applied.

V & P without tears, gentlemen. For young men in love.

Paul Tatum Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Paul Tatum (86)
Strong None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant

A good tobacco to satisfy the perique urges . A good one for the cellar as well . It'll burn hot without careful smoking . Packs a nicotine whollop as well . Good for sitting down .

rjm Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
rjm (10)
Strong None Detected Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I first came across this blend while waiting for some Three Nuns to come in the mail and thought I would use it as a substitute to tide me over (hah!). Although it's no substitute for Nuns, this certainly is a good tobacco worthy of attention in its own right. The blend is ribbon cut with dark and light strains. Like most Virginia/perique blends, it is far too moist when you first open the tin. If you can control yourself, I would recommend leaving it out to air for at least three weeks before smoking. When dried, it gives a cool and complex smoke with a powerful tobacco-ey taste. Even if you have tried a number of other va/perique blends, I would recommend trying this one for its unique flavor. I might also add that, as of this writing (3/01), this is one of the cheapest quality tobaccos on the market. It can easily be had for $5.00 per 50 g tin.

linuxconf Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
linuxconf (11)
Medium Medium Mild Pleasant

This is a good Perique blend. It is nicely cut, and packs and lights well. It took a few puffs for the perique tastes to come through. I really enjoyed this blend all the way through the pipe. I noticed no tongue bite, and unlike other blends like this, the final portion of the bowl did not have a sour/ashy taste. I do prefer my tobaccos stonger than this one, however, by no means does this eliminate it from use. This would be a good choice for someone just starting out with perique blends.

trevert Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
trevert (32)
Extremely Strong None Detected Very Full Strong

I've had a love/hate relationship with this one. It's very potent. In fact, it's strong enough to occasionally give me the queasies, but it's also very good. It's a bit like the now-unavailable Three Nuns in flavor, with a bit of perique mixed into what looks like Virginia. Amusingly, others have called this "subtle" and "weak", but I suspect my system just doesn't normally agree with Virginia tobaccos. The smoke is flavorful and rich, and has a rather musty, grassy tone that turns toward Perique as the bowl drops. Very dry and easy, and an excellent introduction to Virginia/Perique blends for those who are leery of them.