This blend is almost not an aromatic in nature and
in our local pipe club here in Portland, a lot of
our ‘not an aromatic’ kinda guys, claim that it
isn’t as well. It has a hint of turkish’s, perique
and virginia that lends itself to a nice smoke with
some depth of character found more in non-aromatic
blends and VaPers. A very nice balance blend, a
favorite of many.

BrandSteven Books
Blended BySteven Books
ContentsOriental/Turkish, Virginia, Perique
Strength
Taste

Based on a one-oz sample. This is a light brown ribbon that comes a fair bit moist but not sticky. The pouch aroma is delicate and airy, but with a distinct aromatic character. I couldn't place the aroma nor the flavoring, but there is definitely an added casing. I would definitely classify this as an aromatic but it is done so well that I'm not surprised others classify it otherwise.

After smoking several of Mr Books' blends, I can say that his creations taste like no others. They are unique. This one not massively so, but my complaints about most aromatics is that they are overblown on the sauce, use substandard base tobaccos and leave wet heels. This is guilty of none of those faults. If this has a fault, it's purely a subjective one based on my own taste buds and that is that it's simply too light and subtle. I kept wishing it had more flavor, which is the same issue I had with Wild Rose. Then again, more flavor might just cover up this blends strengths. I prefer the flavor of Grandfathers Own but this blend can surely stand toe to toe with any of the best aromatics out there. If you love a great room note but are tired of heavy casing and goop, give this one and the others in the Books stable a try. I'm amazed at how well this man can blend an aromatic.

I find my thoughts on Young Master to be almost identical to rramstad's. Each of Mr. Book's blends has had a common theme in that they are so well blended that I find it difficult to think of another blender that creates such harmony among each component tobacco. I smoked my entire bag of Young Master while sitting in a house without power for five days as a result of a freak fall storm. It gave me a lot of alone time with this blend that could barely be called an aromatic. YM has a light sweetness that would be associated with an aromatic blend, but the casing is very light and the tobacco shines easily through to the smoker. It is complex, but in a very subtle way. It's so subtle that I found myself wanting more out of it. Young Master is a great early day smoke or a tobacco that would be great for aromatic smokers looking to transition into non-aromatic blends. Young Master burns clean and dry. It's a well done blend, but I prefer some of Mr. Book's other blends a little more than this one. Three solid stars for Young Master!

rramstad Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
rramstad (115)

Mr. Books has his own blending idiom, and this fits along with the other blends I've tried of his. The tobacco seems well prepared and the blend harmonious. I did not find this tobacco made any particular impression, other than being a nice smoke, and not difficult to pack, light, or enjoy. It did not have a lot of flavor, or a lot of nicotine... I do agree with the description that it's a nicely balanced blend, and for some, it could be "just right". I generally prefer a bit more zip in my tobacco, but do see the appeal in this blend.

I should add the caveat that this review was written on a three bowl sample that I received at a recent Seattle Pipe Club meeting. Certainly additional bowls might have changed my opinions somewhat.

pipelovingcalvinist Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pipelovingcalvinist (68)
Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

I seldom smoke aromatics, (though anything from Mr. Books is quite good), and this is not very aromatic. A gentle and mildly sweet blend that allows you to taste the Virginia and Turkish tobacco, this was a blend that the wife was able to tolerate. Though a good all around blend, I still craved something extra to keep my attention, however, I believe it still deserves three stars.

Soli Deo gloria.