A rich English mixture of Latakia, oriental, virginia, and perique

Notes: From the Sutliff Private Stock series.

Blended ByCarl McCallister

Taste

rekamepip Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
rekamepip (63)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

With the opening of the tin the aroma is wonderful and the appearance shows different types of cuts for the different types of tobaccos. The moisture content is just about correct - no overly wet nor dry

Smoking the tobacco: A good well rounded blend, none of the individual tobaccos are overpowering to one another. The latakia and orientals in this blend are mellow even though the content is considerable. There is just enough natural sweetness of the virginian leaf to keep this blend interesting and the perique - is mild.

Room Note: I thought it smelled good - so that means the second hand bystanders probably hate it

Overall I thought this blend is similar to their other english style blends = mild and somewhat flat

My 5 Star Rating = 3

Pipe Used: Rock Cob, Corn Cob, Clay and Briar

Similar Blends: the other Eglish Style of Private Stock Blends.

ArmedOctopus Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ArmedOctopus (18)
Very Mild None Detected Mild Tolerable

This is a good starting place for those wanting to delve into the world of English blends with Latakia. I am not a fan of Latakia, as it makes my throat feel scratchy and my tongue feel like the smoke is biting. However, this should not be offputting to those who have never tried Latakia as MANY people really enjoy it....it just isnt for me.

That being said, I know a good tobacco blend when I smoke it, and this is one of 'em. As I have an aversion to Latakia, I am just speaking to all the other elements in the blend. This is a good English. Very mild. Very VERY mild, but a solid all-day smoker. Moisture content was perfect. Lit with one match and burned to the bottom. Fantastic. Nice smokey flavor but doesnt linger too long afterwards. Overall a great tobacco.

I would recommend this tobacco to the following....

A. If you have never tried an English blend before and want to venture into these waters.

B. If you've tried an English blend but have yet to try one with Latakia. The Latakia in this is light and will serve as a good introduction.

C. If you don't like STRONG latakia but want English blends with some in it.

D. If you love English blends with latakia and dont mind a lighter serving of the peppery flavor.

If you like heavy English blends, this won't be your cup 'o tea or if you dislike Latakia, as I do, you wont care for it either. But if you just enjoy trying out a new blend and have no qualms about any of the tobacco varieties, give this one a go. You won't be disappointed.

A very pleasant no frills tasting mild to medium English blend. There is a light smokiness from the latakia and a natural Virginia creamy sweetness. The orientals and perique are light players in the game and add a spice note that keeps this from being boring. It's hard to pick out a dominant taste in this well balanced, all day smoking mixture. Burns well, even and consistent with no dottle and very few relights. This is more of a starter English blend. If you don't like this you probably won't like stronger English blends. And for those looking to venture into the world of latakia blends, this is a good place to begin.

Berkshire offers a tin note similar to lightly sweetened English blends like Northwoods or Frog Morton on the Town. It smokes in similar fashion to those blends as well although the quality isn’t as good as FMOTT. I find the review posted by “JimInks” to very closely match my thoughts on Berkshire. It produces a large volume of smoke; it’s mild and would make a great introduction to English blends for new pipe smokers or pipe smokers seeking to move toward English blends or blends containing Latakia. Berkshire is also a solid offering for those that prefer mild English blends. There is a manually added sweetness to Berkshire that isn’t a result of the Virginias. The Perique is there, but well in the background and I only taste it as the bowl progresses. A plus is that Berkshire is an affordable tinned tobacco. On the negative side, as each bowl progresses, the topping turns a bit south for me offering a slight chemical taste. I don’t think the chemical taste is strong enough to be off putting but it is there. I find Berkshire to be one of the better blends in the Sutliff line up.

Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

This is a good mild/med English blend. The tobacco comes at a good humidity level for a tinned tobacco and it is a nicely balanced mix of sweet Virginia, smoky latakia, spicy orientals and enough perique to add a distinctive quality to the spicy/sweet. I claim there is a little topping to enhance the sweet, but I could be wrong. There is a little tart in the flavor profile that I don't think is the Virginia or the perique.

This is an enjoyable smoke, and part of the challenge with an English blend is finding the right combination of flavors for your palate. This one is probably a home run for lots of folks. For me it is a solid 3.

CTS Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CTS (109)

Very well done, complex, and smooth blend. One of their best blends, devoid of the stale vanilla/rum topping prevalent in many of their blends. All the components can be detected, with the lead interestingly transitioning back and forth. Nice spice/pepper on the retrohale. Burns steady and clean through the bowl. Highly recommended for those seeking a rich yet mild to medium English.

Pipe Used: Stanwell

Age When Smoked: Unknown; at least 3 months.

Purchased From: CI

bob323 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bob323 (44)

Very satisfying...This has made my rotation as an all day English blend...Not overpowering in any department...Very interesting and a joy to smoke.

Kerpap Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kerpap (12)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable

This tin was given to me by a tobacconist for free as a gift after a purchase. I have smoked Molto dolce before and was pretty satisfied with it. This is my first Latakia blend from SPS. I really liked it. it was an easy smoke. a bit moist out of the tin so a bit of drying was necessary. one thing I noticed was that the tin was not evenly blended. it seemed that each bowel had more or less of a particular tobacco. I shook the tin up but still had a different smoke each time which wasn't necessarily a bad thing. all in all, for the price, (at retail not free) I will buy more. give it a try if you are into Latakia/English blends.

SMOKEAHONTAS Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SMOKEAHONTAS (1)
Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I am very new to pipe smoking (about 1 year) and mostly i go with the "bulk" jar at my local tobacco store, BUT like any true smoker i am always on the hunt for the perfect smoke. I ran acrose this blend in a sampler on "cigars international" and having never had a english mixture/blend i ordered it. I have a Tendency to smoke to fast so i almost always get tongue bite but with this blend it is little to none. when I first smoked it i did not care for the taste so i tossed it aside and went on to one of the other blends. about a week or two later i came back to it and from opening the can and letting it sit it had became smooth and the flavor while strong was nolonger over powering. with a deep draw you taste the cream small hints of spice. over all I enjoy this blend and will more than likly pick up another can down the road

"If there are no stupid questions, then what kind of questions do stupid people ask? Do they get smart just in time to ask questions?" -Scott Adams

drdave Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
drdave (9)

I was given a sample of this, along with some No. 5 and Field Master, by the good guys at Cigar and Tabac in Kansas City. The No. 5 was overpowered by the Latakia and the big amount of burley added too much harshness. And about the only thing I could taste in Field Master was Latakia. But this Berkshire stuff is good, good, good. The Latakia is there, but it doesn't steal the show. Berkshire is smoky, slightly sweet, tangy, and just a bit spicy. It provides a nice tasty smoke.

The Conde Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The Conde (17)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Unnoticeable

I am a beginner with English blends, but really enjoyed this one. The latakia was not overwhelming and the perique was just spicy enough to be noticed. I can only compare it to Dunhill 965 which is a little strong for my palate but Bershire was just right.

jwr0201 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jwr0201 (1)
Medium Very Mild Medium Tolerable

Meduim English blend - very flavorful and satisfying. One of my favorite lighter English pipe tobaccos. Plenty of Latakia, slightly sweet from the fine Virginias, spicy from the Orientals, a little bit of tanginess from the Perique. No bite whatsoever -very creamy with loads of thick smoke. Easy to light, few re-lights needed. Will keep in rotation for sure. Very good value for such a good smoking tobacco.

porshcigar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
porshcigar (27)

I love English blends, and this has become one of my favorites. The smoking quality is first rate. It lights well, burns cool, and does not need frequent relights. The taste is full and satisfying for me. The Latakia taste is good and does not overwhelm. It has never disappointed me, and I find that I can smoke this blend throughout the day in any pipe I put it in. I first tried it as a sample tin from the Chicago 2012 Show, and have been smoking it and re-ordering it ever since.