Superior quality, 100% Turkish tobaccos expertly selected from the finest regions, then cured and blended by craftsmen to provide a sensory delight.

BrandD & R Tobacco
Blend TypeOriental
ContentsOriental/Turkish
Packaging40gm. and 3½oz. tins, 14oz. pouch
Strength
Mild, Mild to Medium, Medium, Medium to Strong
Taste
Mild to Medium, Medium, Medium to Full, Full
Pleasant to Tolerable, Tolerable

flakey Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
flakey (43)

From my favorite online tobacconist I placed an order which included Rimboche SJ. When I opened the package I found they had instead sent me a tin of RAMBACK the blend that rams you back™. No prob, I like turkish too.

The tin note smells like a freshly cracked pack of Camels and is also faintly ketchupy. The leaf inside is various shades of golden brown and very dry. This is neither a leathery nor minty oriental but rather a delicately sweet, "kitchen spice" type oriental. I find the taste to be reminiscent of McClelland's Yenidje Supreme but somehow bolder. This blend has a brother called Ramback Gold who admits to having a percentage of virginia -- this Ramback claims to have none, yet occasionally I catch that creamy hay like virginia taste. Also I consistantly find some measure of that back of the mouth spice a la perique but the liner note still claims 100% turkish, and there is no dark leaf present in the tin. There does seem to be a detectable amount of vitamin N here. Seems like a good price-to-value ratio. IMO this would make a good all day tobacc, which is exactly what I plan to do with it.

PeterD Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PeterD (79)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

A very nice Turkish blend that will most likely replace S. Gwaith Turkish Blend, since it will be discontinued. I quite enjoy smoking straight Turkish and have so for more than 40 years.

Because it can burn hot, I keep the moisture level a little higher and that seems to make this tobacco "rounder' and more flavorful.

Aroma is pleasant with a fairly natural tobacco taste and while not a complex blend...there are a variety of "nuances", I experience.

Smoked in a group 4 or larger pipe and a worthy tobacco for those who enjoy a straight Oriental.

...a pipe is to be savored...

zwolanek Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
zwolanek (18)

This is a 100% oriental blend. It can burn hot, so watch out.

The cut borders on shag. It burns exceedingly well with no dottle. "Ramback" is so named because it can ram you back, and the nicotine content is noticeable so plan ahead.

I smoked about 2/3rds of a tin and decided that it was just too much. Orientals make super condiments, and I just love Balkan blends. My favorite is Russ Ouelette's Mount Marcy. But this may be too much of a good thing. So I'm going to use the balance as blending tobacco.

Yes, I plan to buy another couple tins, and probably will smoke it from time to time - especially if I have to work late. But I plan generally to add it to weaker blends to add sparkle and zip.

haiku44 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
haiku44 (4)
Medium None Detected Full Tolerable

A pretty good 100% turkish blend. Second best in the Ramback line behind Ramback Balkan, but certainly not a blend I would turn away from if offered.