A variation of The Connoisseur's Flake inspired by our good friend Gayl Liebman

Blended ByPaul Bonacquisti
ContentsCavendish, Virginia
Strength
Taste

I never had the opportunity visit Ed Burak's in NYC to try the Scottish Ribbon, but if it was anything like this, it had to be pretty darn good stuff. Having enjoyed Park Lane’s version of Bengal Slices and enjoying more than the actual Bengal Slices, I shouldn’t have been surprised. There is just enough Cavendish in this ready rubbed flake to offer just a hint of sweet without overpowering the blend as I have experienced in some shop made Scottish blends. I like to smoke this very dry (even though it was fairly dry to begin with), lightly pack the pipe and with a light tamp, have at it. I wish that I had bought more of this when I stopped at pipe maker, Paul Bonacquisti’s shop in upstate NY last year, as I would be a happy man to have some aged at this point. I can be a bit of a puffer, but there was no bite whatsoever. LSF stands well on its own, and it is one very good light Scottish blend.

Pipe Used: several, small bowl

Age When Smoked: 18 Months

Purchased From: Park Lane Tobacconists

denholrl Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
denholrl (3)
Mild None Detected Medium Very Pleasant

When Paul Bonacquisti was cloning Burak's Scottish Ribbon, he sent out several versions for testing by Scottish Ribbon lovers. I liked this one very much and believed it was very close to the original, but not as close as the recipe that came to be known as Connoisseur's Flake. Tester Gayl Liebman's preference was for the present blend and it has been named in her honor. If I run out of the original Scottish Ribbon and can no longer get Connoisseur's Flake, I'd be happy to have a continuing supply of Liebman's Scottish Flake. It's a wonderful tobacco. As with Connoisseur's Flake, I think it's missing a certain caramel-like hint of flavor, but I'll never complain about this blend. Loving it. Definitely an all-day smoke. Never bites. Burak sold Scottish Ribbon a little on the dry side and recommended it be smoked that way; I think this is also true for Liebman's Scottish Flake.

slightlyfermentedvirginiaflake Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
slightlyfermentedvirginiaflake (10)

Ok. Here it is. If you are one of the many who smoked Ed Burak's Scottish Ribbon... This, I think, is about as close to Scottish Ribbon as we may get. When my order arrived, I quickly tore open the package..great anticipation! I immediately recognized this virginia flake mixture. In appearance, it was a dead-ringer for Scottish Ribbon. Then, I opened the bag and inhaled the aroma of this blend...Yep, exactly how I remember Scottish Ribbon. By this point, I was drooling (Oh, how I miss that fine blend). Now, after smoking this blend for several days, I can say it is a very very very close re-creation. There is something missing... But for all practical purposes, this is Scottish Ribbon. I have no way of knowing what that tiny missing link might be, may never know? And that's ok. For the Virginia lover, this is a wonderful, light-bodied, sweet Virginia flake. It is absolutely an all day companion. I highly recommend this blend based on its own merits. However, if you are in search of Scottsih Ribbon... I think you will be pleased. Great job, Paul! Thanks for another outstanding blend.