Reviews: 72088 Tobaccos: 6496What's NewLoginRegister

Samuel Gawith Full Virginia Plug is for lovers of pure pressed Virginias created in the heart of Lakeland.

Full Virginia starts life as a blend of Virginias in the cold press. Hot pressed and allowed to cool overnight, the cake takes on it's delicious and distictive dark colour that creates a pipe smokers dream, a feeling of calm, serenity and anticipation for the next pipeful.

BrandSamuel Gawith
Blended BySamuel Gawith
Manufactured BySamuel Gawith
Packaging250g Box

TW Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TW (26)

FVPlug is the plug version of Full Virgina Flake. It's basically the same tobacco, but there are significant differences.

First off, the plug is smoother and slightly sweeter than the flake, and if anything has more flavour. Just like PipesterJim says below.

Secondly, the flake is supplied very wet indeed requiring ages to dry out, and tends to be over-compressed and often cut too think. It has a tendency to be a bit leathery. The plug is supplied much drier, so you're paying for much less water and it needs much less drying, sometimes none at all. It's well compressed, but not remotely leathery. In the UK it's supplied bulk, not in tins and it's the only SG tobacco I've had had where I can open a fresh pack and immediately smoke without hours or days of drying it out first. I'd rather the slight extra hassle of having to take a knife to a plug than messing about with the over-wet soggy stuff any time.

Finally, even for people like me who love VA flakes but suffer very badly from tongue burn, FV plug burns smoothy, gently and without a trace of bite whether you cut it into flakes, rub it out, cube it or whatever (which makes me suspect excessive wetness in tobacco is a major cause of tonguebite).

A gentle, smooth, magnificent dark tobacco. Massively recommended.

Being a plug, it takes time to ready it for a smoke, but it's worth the effort. I thought it slightly fuller, sweeter and smoother than FVF, though just a little less earthy, and the light spice note in FVF is not as noticeable here. The grassiness is mild and is about the same level as the flake. The dark fruit and citrus sweetness here are a little more on the fermented side as often happens with plugs. The nic-hit is about the same, a little past the mild threshold. It does require some relighting, and the number of them depends on how you slice it. Regardless, it's a slow smoker, so set the time aside to enjoy it. Has a very consistent flavor from start to finish, and won't bite or get harsh at any time during the proceedings. Leaves little dampness in the bowl.

Pipepundit Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipepundit (168)

Full Virginia Flake is the most reviewed tobacco on this site. It is hardly necessary to describe the taste of FVF de novo. FV Plug is the plug form of FVF, but the smoking experience is not identical to smoking FVF. For one, the plug seems to be marginally lighter in nicotine than the flake - but only marginally. Depending on how you prepare the plug it can take two or three lights before the pipe gets going, but once started no further relights are needed. The Plug burns slower, cooler and sweeter than the flake. To use a culinary metaphor, the plug is to the flake as a reduction is to the sauce (or balsamic vinegar!), a slightly more intense taste.

Some drying time helps. Even so, a full pipe lasts a long time. Going out for the morning it is enough to carry a full pipe, and not a tin. By the same token, the plug disappears a little faster than a commensurate weight of flake.

If you like FVF and are prepared to put up with the additional labour of preparing the plug (quite enjoyable, in fact) it is more than likely that you will find yourself coming back to the plug again and again.

Kudos to Samuel Gawith!

Jacinto Cupboard Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jacinto Cupboard (151)

Medium brown plug with vivid yellow streaks of lighter tobacco. It is dense and oily and resists rubbing out. I cube cute this.

It has a pouch note that is caramel sweet. As with most unflavoured lakeland tobaccos there is some residual floral aroma.

Takes a light fairly well and burns well too. Despite its wet texture as a plug this burns consistently cool and dry for the entire bowl.

Not a lot of complexity here. It is a straightforward Va with a caramel/malty sweetness to the tongue. The room/bowl note is herbacious, even tea like.

I'm going to give this 3 stars, tho it probably sits between 2 and three. It has no obvious faults other than being boring.

NobbyR Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
NobbyR (77)

This is the plug version of Samuel Gawith's Full Virginia Flake.

In contrast to the flake, which tends to be wet, moisture is perfect in this mottled brown, solid block of pressed tobacco. The strong tin note bursts with typical grassy, haylike, natural Virginia scents.

To fill your pipe you need a very sharp knife, so you can either cut off a thin slice like a flake that you rub out or use the fold and stuff method, or cut a thicker slice (2-3 mm) in order to make your own cross cut. I prefer the later alternative, because it gives you an even cooler, more complex smoke, and crumble some broken bits on top. After the charring light I level out the ashes, before setting the true light.

Like any Virginia blend, the Full Viginia Plug needs to be smoked deliberately gently and coolly in order to develop its full flavor. If it burns too hot, it'll loose its complex aroma and might even cause tongue bite. The full bodied, tangy taste has a distinct natural sweetness that reminds me of dark chocolate, which is still more pronounced than in the flake. The tobacco burns down evenly and slowly leaving some powdery, dark grey ash. Don't worry, if it goes out on the way, because it maintains it delicious taste after a re-light.

The room note is unobtrusive, but has a slight sweetness as well.

Pipe Used: Lorenzo Spitfire

Purchased From: Synjeco

Similar Blends: Samuel Gawith Full Virginia Flake, Pfeifen Huber Epikur.

Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant

Sam Gawith Full Virginia Plug. Firstly, as others state, this is an exorbitantly dense plug, to enjoy this it is necessary to set a decent amount of time aside for prep' along with a sharp knife. As I slice mine up the only aroma that I notice is a steadfast Virginia one, I don't get any others whatsoever. I get mine cut into quite small cubes and then I can begin the smoking and once I have it lit I'm a little surprised how much I enjoy it as I normally enjoy stronger Balkan blends. As it's in smallish cubes it takes to my flame well, I always use a jet lighter for plugs. The flavour is, again, a pure Virginia one, very grass and hay like, I notice absolutely no underlying flavours with this one at all. The burn is quite steady but it needs the occasional re-light when I am inconsistent with my puffing. I find the nicotine falls in the middle, not strong, not weak and if I feel like I need "N" the smoke is fabulously easy to inhale! If I am honest I get a little bored of the simple taste after a while however I give this full marks as it is perfection where Virginia tobacco is concerned!

Pipe Used: Altinok Meershaum

Purchased From: G.Q Tobaccos

curis Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
curis (1)
Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

After smoking a couple of packs FVF I wanted to try this plug. The taste is just as delicious as FVF, but you can control width of the cut and enjoy the ritual by cutting :) My piece of the plug was after cutting a little wetter, so I left it after dilution overnight to dry in the open box. Then was perfect! Very, very good tobacco! I think the best Virginia.

Pipe Used: Stanislaw

Purchased From:

Peter Piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Peter Piper (41)
Strong None Detected Mild Pleasant

A little more high maintenance than the norm to be sure, courtesy of the presentation. But once you have carefully cut off a few cubes across the plug it rubs out easily enough making packing straightforward.

And oh, what a delight. The "pressure-cooking" treatment has just taken that sharpness off the edge which some may find troublesome, leaving this as smooth, tasty and easy-smoking a Virginia as you could imagine. Take it slowly as there is a nic hit behind that mellow exterior and you will be rewarded with a truly classic smoke. Terrific stuff.

Highly recommended.

PipesterJim Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PipesterJim (47)

If you're one of those fellas who struggles to smoke a straight VA without suffering tongue torture or palate scorching then you have my heartfelt sympathy. For myself, I can smoke straight VA blends without trouble when I concentrate on what I am doing, but if I allow my attention to wander too far from the task at hand then I am not beyond hurting myself. Fortunately, Samuel Gawith has the answer to our problems - FV Plug.

This is noticeably the same tobacco as the famous Full Virginia Flake. However, in plug form the smoking experience is smoother and less sharp, deeper and sweeter with reduced bright VA tang. Prepared as a chunky cube cut it also seems less prone to heating up.

Sure, it is more effort to prepare and get going, and it is also more prone to requiring relights. I couldn't care less - it's yet another great plug tobacco from the SG stable.

hiltanzil Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
hiltanzil (7)

I think this tobacco has a "yet" philosophy. A simple yet complex,

Many people would say that preparing plug tobacco is pain in the ass. But i'm very enjoy preparing the plug tobacco. The key to enjoying this tobacco is patient, more are better. I've found the best way to preparing the fvf plug is slice with about 1mm thickness, slice it slowly to make a prefect flake. Dry it for about 1 to 3 hours and rub it.

The smell from this plug (in mason jar) is tangy, sweet and a little bit grassy. The smoke from this tobacco has a very complex aroma, from the start to the end i think i've found a different stage of complex aroma. From hay-ish aroma at the false light, buttery and tangy aroma at the begining of the smoke, sweetness in the middle of the smoke and the caramel-chocolate taste at the end of the smoke and so many that i couldn't tell what it is. But i'm very sure that the casing of this tobacco isn't came from complex sauce, it's very simple sauce that i think is given.

To achieve the complexity of the smoke you need to smoke it very gentle, and the superb aroma would came out.

Pipe Used: comoy grandslam

Purchased From: puff puff pipes

tomspeed Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tomspeed (23)
Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Same Like Full Virginia Flake Just Lovely Plug, Super Nice Neutral Tobacco Aroma. High Quality Virginia Tobacco With Great Smell.. Highly Recommended but not for Beginners

THROATHIT Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Medium None Detected Medium Very Pleasant

FvF is great and this plug version is the same stuff uncut. It stores very well in this state which is a solid mass heavily pressed and oily looking. If you need a tobacco that will travel well then this is a beauty. For myself the attraction was novel value at first however as others have noted this one burns sweeter.

I like to slice a flake or two about 2 to 3 mm thick and dry it for an hour(juice depending) until it has curled up a bit on the chopping board. I then use a weed grinder( A plastic device with two halves which are round and one rotates inside the other with many pyramid shaped closed spaced teeth) The result is the now tacky flake will break by hand into smaller bits and you can load a small amount into the grinder at a time. Once ground the tobacco is in very small chunks and will load light and bun with ease a perfect consistency to achieve best burn and taste and with the minimum fuss. I do believe that plug is worth the effort and that FvP is an excellent tasty and smooth sweet easy smoke.

Pipe Used: Any

Purchased From: g q

Similar Blends: Full vg Flake.

Pipeologist Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipeologist (23)
Medium Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Full Virginia Flake,to me, is a little boring.Yes,it is a supremely pure and delicious tobacco,however,it lacks what I might call interest.Virginia,Virginia,the backbone of all smokers,I must admit,however like that same old Fulgers feeling that you Amercans must get every morning,there must be something beyond. I guess that's why perique and Latakia were discovered. To the tobacco. It comes in a block . It wants to be dissected,like that old biological frog. Wet it is and in great need of drying out,of which I gave it two days. As with the normal FVF,it delivers to perfection that smooth ,creamy Virginia taste.Yum Yum! ,but interesting it is not and so for me,I will give this a miss,in future,as I need to move on a bit.Steaks taste good,but they need nice sauce.All those who love this,I salute you .