Reissue Description: A blend of Virginias and Latakia made famous generations ago for its smooth-smoking qualities, Baby's Bottom was at the top of the list for mixtures we wanted to see re-introduced. Now, thanks to the folks at British American Tobacco and General Cigar, it has returned. Old Dunhill Store Description: A smooth medium strength mixture which consists mainly of Red Virginia, but also has bronze and lemon Virginia, some flake and a good helping of Latakia.

BrandDunhill
ProductionRe-release
Strength
Taste

3.2

* (Update on 7-06) Baby's Bottom was a classic, hand blended tobacco obtainable only by purchasing it through the Dunhill store in London. Murray's never produced this blend during its 25 year run as Dunhill's blender and Orlik (the current blender of the Dunhill recipies) does not now and never has blended and produced Baby's Bottom. My review below was written when the London store was blending it.

I ocasionally order some of the Dunhill blends (that cannot be purchased in the USA) by phone at their England store. Baby's Bottom is the one I buy most often. My most recent tin was a gift from a friend, and since I had not visited this age old classic in more than a year, I dug right in!

This is a very smooth tobacco, and despite the significant Latakia content the accompanying Virginia leaf is very evident, both in the tin and at the match. Again, this is a traditional English blend that hovers more on the light side and is as smooth as -- well, as a baby's bottom.

Much more elegant in flavor than Early Morning Pipe and not nearly as heavy as 965, this one works best for me. I would not smoke it regularly due to its too traditional English taste (give me Virginias or give me death!) but will buy a tin or two again on down the road as it's a nice old friend.

MisterPaul Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
MisterPaul (1)

Firstly, I never had the pleasure of sampling the original version of this blend, so there's no 'rose tinting' over memories of yester-year here: This is a review of the new Dunhill 2015 remake of the infamous 'Baby's Bottom' blend, which has been re-titled as 1938BB. Sadly, gone are the playful reclining infants from the tin face, which is now rather similar to the My Mixture 965 label. I'm informed that historically this blend used to be a bit of a specialist mixture that was only sold in Dunhill's UK stores in London and Oxford.

I've only had a few bowls of this so I won't say too much, as I think it's better to have a few (or a tin or so!) to get a real feel for a new blend. However, first impressions are that this is going to be a very serious rival for EMP in my affections.

Tin note is typically Dunhill; earthy, a good scent of fine Virginia, hints of dried fruit, a good deal of sweetness and a hint of chocolate. A fine ribbon cut [aren't they all] with a lot of dark Latakia, mature Virginia and some bright; giving the blend overall a 'black and tan' type look, packs and lights well straight from the tin. Room note is fairly typically english; it won't make you friends, but won't create new enemies either.

Smoking wise, there's an obvious parallel to EMP. I actually think that this has more Latakia in there, but it's extremely refined and well balanced out by the rest of the flavour; and is in no way a 'Lat Bomb' not as smokey as 965, Nightcap or Squadron Leader types. There seems to be more going on in terms of taste than in EMP though, and the sweetness of the Virginia's seems to shine through especially in the first half of the bowl. As with most Dunhill blends it does get a bit more robust and fuller in texture towards the end of the bowl, but remains tasty and smooth with a complex flavour profile all the way down. Good as it is right now I'd speculate that after a couple of years in the cellar this blend will be really exceptional (the re-release of Durbar seems to be starting to get there now to my palate)

Although I'm a fan of both the recent Dunhill re-releases: Aparitif and Durbar, this one might well be the best, and most versatile, re-release yet - Good all round/all day type tobacco, well worth buying a tin or three if you can get your hands on it :-)

Pipe Used: Aristocrat Lovat, Parker Diplomat

Age When Smoked: Fresh <1 year

Purchased From: GQ Tobaccos, Nottingham

Similar Blends: Dunhill Early Morning Pipe, Dunhill My Mixture 965.

Flatticus Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Flatticus (24)

Like MisterPaul, I've never had the pleasure of the original, and I've only had about 4 bowls of this so far. It only arrived yesterday. But this blend even with first impressions is going to be exceptionally popular. It fits well in between EMP and 965 for the presence of latakia, but is so amazingly well blended as to give a consistent Virginia taste accompanying the latakia. Little drying time required, burned clean to the heel, and did pick up a bit in strength after a bit of stoving in a deeper bowl. Nice spicy flavor from the red virginias throughout. I love all of the Dunhill blends, but this, excitement at trying a new blend aside, may well be the one I've been waiting for. Enough punch to make it interesting and enough flavor and smoothness to smoke all day long. Woke up today wanting more and I don't see that changing any time soon. This is by far my favorite of the three new re-releases.

Pipe Used: Meerschaum, Briar, cob (preferred meerschaum)

Purchased From: GQ Tobaccos of Nottingham

The smell out of the tin is stronger than the taste of the tobacco. The Cyprian latakia is very smoky and very woody with a creamy sweetness. The various Virginias offer a hint of citrus and grass, some earth and tangy dried fruit (thank the red Virginia for the last two observations). I suspect an extremely mild topping is here to aid in the smoothness of this product. Burns at a decent rate with few relights, and a very consistent mild to medium flavor with no harsh or dull spots to the finish. Barely leaves any moisture and no unburnt tobacco in the bowl. Has a very pleasant after taste. The old saying "smooth as a baby's bottom" Dunhill used in ads for the original does apply to this version. It could be an all day smoke, depending on your preference for latakia. Three and a half stars out of four.

Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Dunhill-BB1938. The smell coming from the mix is a bit like a softer Balkan. All of the usual suspects are present only toned down somewhat. It arrived with a good amount of water in it so I could smoke mine straight away. The taste is, again, like a relaxed Balkan only even more chilled out than the aroma. There is a very gentle smoky note but by no means expect the standard 'in your face' hit of smokiness that's usually associated with Latakia blends. The flavour from the Virginia really brightens up the mix, it gives the blend a superb freshness. I don't really get much nicotine from this but that's a personal thing so I guess your opinion may differ to mine. I wouldn't say it's stupidly weak but I think mild is an apt description, well to my body it is! I struggle to identify much in the room note. I wouldn't say it's a bad one in any way but most of the character seems quite suppressed. I honestly could see this one making a good regular smoke. It's very basic (and that's meant in a good way!), very relaxing, very smooth and one of the least biting tobaccos I have had! Four stars.

Pipe Used: Meerschaum

Purchased From: G.Q Tobaccos

swaviator Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
swaviator (3)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium Tolerable

Having started pipe smoking while in college some 35-years ago, I have had the opportunity to try many different blends. Early on I found the Dunhill English blends to my liking...everything from Baby's bottom to Night Cap. But knowing that these tobaccos are not blended as they once were, I was reluctant to try a couple of ounces of Baby's Botton in order to rekindle an old friendship, but I did.

My blend reviews are generally generous in acceptance and not overly critical. After two bowls in two of my best tobacco burners, this Baby's Bottom left me feeling like I had just licked the gates of hell. This Baby needs a diaper change!

My hope is that this was just a bad batch...I hope. I scattered it as expensive mulch for my lawn, so as not to again be tempted.

tonyg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tonyg (103)

Forty-seven years ago, as a college freshman, I was introduced to Dunhill blends. I smoked them on those rare occassions when I could afford the dollar to buy a two ounce tin. I continued to smoke Baby's Bottom and virtually every other Dunhill tobacco more and more as my budget would allow. Of all the blenders in those days, Dunhill was peerless. Whenever I was in New York City, I would make it a point to stop at the Dunhill store at Rockefeller Center and pick up a few tins of the exclusive tobaccos blended there. There wasn't one blend that I didn't like although I did have my favorites.

Well, those days are long gone. Even the store is long gone.

The quality of the Dunhill blends have deminished over the years. Just a few years ago, one could pick up a decent tin but now their (they're really not Dunhill's) tobaccos bear only the slightest resemblance to what once was. The resemblance is superficial at best. The current blend does not live up to the standards found in today's finer tobaccos.

Do yourself a favor and skip this one, unless of course, you can find and afford a vintage tin.

Mild Extremely Mild Mild Tolerable

Mostly darker brown to black in a short ribbon cut, this has a light latakia tin nose that borders on scentless. Came a bit too moist but was easy to dry out and a cinch to load. My tin was of the new variety and I never had a chance to smoke the original.

Two words best describe my experience with this - smooth and disappointing. It's supposed to be smooth, so that matches the claim. Taste-wise, this was sort of gutless... all baby's butt and no spine. The latakia was prominent but lacked any assertiveness. The Virginia bordered on characterless and didn't really lend any brightness or tang to the proceedings. Sort of a bland base tobacco with latakia, and very monochromatic. It ended with a bit more zing but I found almost zero complexity here, either in meerschaum or briar. I do get the impression that this met its design goals, however, as it was indeed smooth as an infant's behind. And I do think it's cool to bring back old, time honored blends. This is a blend that if I hadn't tried, I'd be chomping at the bit to do so, but I found this one pretty boring. Whether it mirrors the original, I can't say, but I'm guessing that based on its name, it was made to be a smooth smoke and not so much to be a flavor bomb. If that's the case, add at least one star. To me, it's good only if you want a pipe in your mouth and aren't interested in noticing the taste. It'll provide a bit of nicotine to satisfy a moderate craving but if you smoke for flavor, you may be as disappointed as I in this one.

straightgrain Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
straightgrain (6)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant

This review was taken from a sealed tin of Parker-Hardcastle's Baby's Bottom.

Starts off with the qualities and taste of dark chocolate, slightly bitter but mostly sweet. There's a slight hint of tartness that adds depth to the chocolate note without overwhelming it.

Near the mid way point, it becomes deeper and slightly more tart but the sweetness is still clearly evident in the background.

Past the mid way point, wine like qualities become evident (thick, creamy & chewy) as the chocolate note moves to the background.

As you near bottom, the smokiness of the Latakia dominates and the wine like qualities and chocolate traits become background notes.

It finishes deep & tasty without any hint of heat or harshness.

Overall a deep, tasty & smooth mixture with many complex dimensions and layers.

The aroma is deep, spicy, slightly dusty/musty & pungent.

Uban Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Uban (52)

Just opened a tin of the new stuff with ReedSteve It is just grest Fine but sloppy cut, wonderful in the tin. Light & smooth as its namesake The Golden Age is NOW.

Pipe Used: Dunny Canadiab, clay

Age When Smoked: Brand new

Purchased From: Pipes & Tobacco

Similar Blends: Comptons Macedonian.

Austin Gosling Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Austin Gosling (2)

This tobacco snuck up on me completely. At the top of the bowl, it was "nice, I could smoke more of this". Gradually, while doing other things, I puffed my way down to mid-bowl, thinking, "Dunhill has a recognisable consistency in its tobaccos and flavours - this is good stuff.". The Virginia in this blend reminds me of the one in Elizabethan mixture. Then, at just past mid bowl, my attention was entirely diverted from whatever I was doing, and shifted to the now beautifully melded tastes and perfect consistency and density of the smoke. I am savouring the last 1/3 of the bowl as I write this, trying not to over puff, and just tasting it get better and better as the bowl nears its sadly inevitable end. In retrospect, Elizabethan mixture had the same effect of grabbing my attention mid bowl, but not quite as forcefully as BB 1938.

This was my first bowl ever of this tobacco, but certainly not my last!

Pipe Used: Dunhill medium sized billiard

Purchased From: Pfeiffen Diehl, Munich

Similar Blends: Dunhill - Elizabethan Mixture.

CaptnDan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CaptnDan (242)

I was given a generous sample of this blend from a friend's cellar. He told me he's had it for over six years.

I love it. It could be the age, it could be the idea that I can't get this stuff very often, or it could just be because this is a wonderfully balanced top quality blend of fine Va and Latakia.

The Virginias in this mix are quite pleasant and firmly state their presence by adding a delightful sweetness and dimension to the Latakia.

Baby's Bottom is aptly named. They aren't blowing smoke (pun intended), this is one smooth blend.

Present-day abominations under the name Dunhill aside, this is the kind of smoke that the name Dunhill brings to mind. Top quality, superb balance, rich flavor, and a perfect burn.

DrDNA Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DrDNA (58)
Mild to Medium None Detected Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Notes: Originally blended By H.L. Savory, the blend came to Dunhill after the latter purchased the former in, I believe, 1938. The blend changed very little in the intervening years, but finally disappeared with the closing of Murray's blending house in 2005, along with Dunhill's other in-store blends. No longer available but occasionally seen at auction, perhaps. My review is based on Savory's original blend, as well as various vintages of Dunhill's offering. It smokes, it seems to me, equally well in all pipes, though I enjoyed it in a old Charatan briar quite well.

Appearance: Nut brown to reddish brown fully rubbed out medium thin cut ribbon with about 25-30% black leaf mixed in.

Aroma: Leather, old books, dried figs, smoke, benzoin, myrrh, good Virginia tobacco aroma, powdered sugar.

Taste: Without question, the smoothest smoking blend I have had. Not the nuttiest, though walnut and pecan are present. Not the mellowest, though it is quite mellow indeed. Smoky in an almost subliminal way, hovering over gentle matured virginia leaf like clouds on an overcast London day.

Comparisons: Unique amongst the latakia blends. Smoky without being forceful. As latakia-rich as Penzance or Nightcap but without any of the pungency at all. With the softness of a cavendish blend like Dunhill's My Mixture No. 965, but without being cloying or spicy.

Bottom Line: Not available. Those seeking a typical latakia tour de force will be disappointed. Those seeking a soft, smoky subdued English blend will rejoice.

Having never had the chance to smoke the earlier version of Baby’s Bottom and with Dunhill being my personal favorite line of tobacco, I ambitiously bought three sleeves before cracking my first tin! To the nose, it’s somewhat smoky, musty and a little bit of the traditional Dunhill sour. I do need to dry it as it’s a little too wet for my taste. The combination of the Virginias and the Latakia is pleasantly smooth and both are easily tasted without the Latakia crowding out the lightly sweet Virginias. There is a flavor I can’t put my finger on. BB is a tasty blend, mild to medium strength, but not an everyday blend for me, at least not yet. The reason being is that while I really enjoy the flavor, it is fairly monochromatic leaving me wanting. I have the same issue with Lancer Slices, another Latakia/Virginia blend. I do seem to get more out of it by slowing my cadence and just sipping lightly. But after the first couple of tins, I found myself reaching for it less and less. I think that this will be resolved for me as the Virginias sweeten over time. I am glad I have some tins in the cellar to find out. In the meantime, a couple of bowls a week is more than enough to hold my interest.

Like most others, I never had any previous versions of this. A smooth Latakia-forward blend but not really a 'Lat bomb'; smooth as a 'baby's bottom'? Perhaps not, but it is pretty smooth as far as Latakia-forward blends go. Other than the Latakia, the VAs add some extra earthiness. Different enough to go wild about? No, but I can see why others may.

Pipe Used: various briars, cobs, and meers

Age When Smoked: one month

Purchased From: Smoking Pipes

King Weed Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
King Weed (79)

I'm one of the old codgers among us that actually smoked the original blend, as it was offered by Dunhill. Around 1990, in one of my many trips into the wilds of Ohio and all surrounding states to garner old stock pipe blends, I chanced upon someone who had six tins - four 4oz and two 2oz tins and I promptly bought them. I opened one of the 2oz tins to smoke and this is what I remember finding: a uniformly mahogany red brown tobacco in either a medium ribbon cut or a mix of broken flake and medium ribbon cut. It had a mildly English aroma and smoked as a lighter style medium English. It smoked rather soft and seemed well aged - I'm going to guess these tins were circa 1970 to 1975 era. The blend was enjoyable enough, though I didn't think it to be anything special at that time. This is identical to how I feel about the current Dunhill revival blend. The new version is lighter and browner in color because it lacks the 15 to 20 years of maturing that I saw in the original version. It smokes in the same range of strength as the original and I agree with the several reviewers who feel that it is related to both Early Morning Pipe and 965. I agree with them, as well, that it occupies a position smack in the middle of their range. To me this is a classic three star blend and I would have rated the original the same - I recommend that it gets smoked and enjoyed by all of us.

Pipe Used: Ardor large canadian (2012 NASPC pipe)

Age When Smoked: current

Purchased From: pipes and cigars

Similar Blends: a somewhat harsher and edgier version of the original Savory's/Dunhill blend, as well as a large number of light/medium English blends in that very crowded field.

A very nice, straight-to-the-point, Virginia/Latakia mixture. Simple, savory, classic. This may not be for the die-hard Latakia fans, but it does fit the bill for a nice early morning or evening smoke. As an introduction to English style blends it is superb. Great as a change of pace ig f used to stronger more complex English-Oriental type of mixtures.

Pipe Used: Charatan Mayfair

Age When Smoked: N/A

Purchased From: N/A

Similar Blends: Larsen's Selected Blend #20; Dunhill Standard Mixture Medium.

LatVa blends are one of my favorites and although this isn't the best of them it is very good and I highly recommend it. The mix is simple, but it does produce some complexity. The contrast between the smoky, woody Latakia and the fruity, sweet Virginias is very appealing. That contrast is what draws me to these blends. I just love it. This smokes quickly, but remains cool. Very pleasant and satisfying.

Medium in body and flavor. Burns very well.

Pipe Used: MM Country Gentleman, Diplomat Apple, Mark Twain

Junkyard Dawg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Junkyard Dawg (77)

Needless to say, I have not tried the original version. And I can say right away: if you like deeply flavoured and complex English blends, Baby's Bottom is not for you. It will disappoint you. Don't get me wrong: this is not a bland and boring blend. It's, in reality, a mild to medium English (definitively closer to the medium spectrum), but it's still very pleasant and tasty despite "only" being composed of VAs and LAs. The result is an alternance between the slightly sweet & unsweetened pastry/bread of the VAs & the smokiness from the LA. The nicotine is there too, it's medium. Overall, I wasn't sure about BB because it does not contain OR and/or PER - I'm into the deeper, more complex English. But, after 5 or 6 pipefuls, this tobacco is growing on me. Yes, it's smooth but it's tasty. In a kind of way that, while puffing, I find myself exclaiming : "Geez, that stuff is really good!" I could smoke it everyday without it becoming overwhelming in taste and complexity. I see it as a refreshing, cool English. And that's something the more complex English cannot guarantee. A very good tobacco!

Pipe Used: Ashton; Dunhill; Stanwell

NobbyR Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
NobbyR (77)

My Mixture BB1938 is Dunhill's latest addition to their Vintage Blends series, and it recreates the famous "Savory's Baby's Bottom" pipe tobacco. It's based on Red, Lemmon and Orange Virginia grades with a generous helping of Cypriot Latakia.

The tin note is therefore rich and smoky with a pleasant underlying grassy sweetness, slightly reminiscent of maple syrupe. The rather fine ribbon cut makes it easy to fill your pipe. I prefer the Frank method in doing so. Lighting is equally plain sailing.

As far as the taste is concerned, the tobacco is not as strong as the scent out of the tin. Its smooth, tangy sweetness with hints of citrus and freshly cut hay, as well as its earthy, peaty and woody notes remind me of Early Morning Pipe. However, I suspect the Latakia content to be higher than in EMP. Towards the end of the bowl some bitter notes might appear. The flavour is very consistant from top to bottom with a pleasant aftertaste. The tobacco burns down evenly, seldom requiring a relight, leaving some dry greying ash.

The room note is spicy.

Pipe Used: Rattray's 110th Anniversary

Purchased From: www.cigarworld.de

Similar Blends: Dunhill Early Morning Pipe.

Philo Beddoe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Philo Beddoe (145)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Subtle and satisfying....that pretty much sums this blend up, but I will go on. I find this blend quite similar to Select Mixture from Smokers Haven, it is a light English, but not light in flavor, like EMP, more like you just turned the volume down on a full English blend. I have found Babys Bottom to be a perfect blend for the first pipe of the day, as it is light on the palate, but it still gives me the flavor and more importantly, the complexity I enjoy in my regular blends such as Margate and Black House. Highly Recommended!

Pipe Used: Castello 55, Kaywoodie Dublin

Similar Blends: Smokers Haven Select Mixture.

SmileyOrb Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SmileyOrb (15)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

First timer for this, although I like Dunhill's London mixture, Royal Yacht and some others and I like 'em.

I was surprised though with this blend. Perhaps it's just the mixture, but found this a completely relaxing smoke.if you're a fast puffer then this may not satisfy. If you smoke it easy and slow and get the taste buds going this brings forth a creamy woody bright flavour. Many have said this is down to the Virginia and I agree.However I wouldn't say it's a light tasting smoke, quite deep in parts like a creamy coffee / chocolate type flavour. It's not a "full on" nicotine strength blend, but a wholesome easy burning blend. It's delightfully rich as you go mid way onwards.

The surprise then for me is that the bright deep earthy twang aroma from the tin is not as fierce as I expected when smoking. Its much more refined and mellow really. I think the Baby's Bottom analogy is stretching the point a bit though.

Nice late afternoon - end of the day smoke. Very enjoyable.

Pipe Used: Peterson standard

Purchased From: Local newsagents, Bexleyheath, London, UK

Similar Blends: Mild to medium non-aromatic English blends..

Ahmad Othman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ahmad Othman (21)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

I had my first bowl of this while inaugurating a new Peterson System pipe.. And boy, I was confused of which I am a bigger fanboy of.. It is smooth, tasty, easy to pack in a true Dunhill fashion and easy to light and stay lit.. I love it now

Pipe Used: Peterson System Ebony XL315, Falcon Genoa

Similar Blends: Dunhill - My Mixture 965.

doctp Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
doctp (3)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Tolerable to Strong

Nice mixture, cut an smokes beautifully.

I will buy again. This is a one-2 2 bowl at a time to get a nice relaxed feeling. No bite

Pipe Used: billiard

Age When Smoked: 1 year

Purchased From: smoking pipes

Similar Blends: stronger than EMP and milder than penzance.

Lazarus77 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Lazarus77 (22)

Smooth, rich smoky pipe tobacco.This is good stuff not too weak and not too overpowering, just right.Is a subtle, light Latakia, and a fine blend worthy of the reputation. Recommended.

Pipe Used: Various briars

Age When Smoked: fresh to 6 month

Purchased From: Smoke King

tabaco Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tabaco (105)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

A very short review: Russ Ouellette's match is considerably better in my view, he also reverse-blended one of the older tins from days of yore when the Dunhill pipe tobacco name was truly top-shelf.

This current incarnation is merely okay but nothing special, one and done for me.

Virginia lover Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Virginia lover (158)
Mild to Medium Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Tolerable to Strong

The smell in the tin was interesting, the moisture was perfect to pack and smoke. I never had the original.

What a disappointment! The Virginias are bland and give an aftertaste of cigarettes that is somehow smoothed by a sweet topping, is it vanilla? Is this the smoothness everybody's talking about? The Latakia is ashy and ends up bitter towards the bottom of the bowl. My mouth feels as if I ate the contents of an ashtray! The more I smoke it, the more I ask myself why? The only thing going on for this mixture is the mild topping that tries to mask the terminal shortcomings of this ''tobacco''.

captain duff Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
captain duff (7)
Mild to Medium None Detected Very Mild Pleasant

I've been smoking this daily for the past couple of weeks, and I still can't tell whether I really like it or not. The problem for me is that it is as you would expect from the name very smooth and creamy. But there is a fine line between smooth and bland, and I feel that at times this blend crosses into the latter. To compensate I end up packing very tightly and almost always want a second bowl almost immediately, not because it lacks a nicotine hit (it doesn't) but to try and get some sense of having consumed some flavour. If I had to make a comparison it would be to drinking a very bland US/UK style cold lager, you can do it but end up feeling you've missed out on something with actual flavour and depth. On the plus side it smokes easily, straight from the tin and down to the bottom of the bowl without relights, although I have to say I found quite a few twigs in my tin that I wouldn't expect in a Dunhill blend.

Pipe Used: Northern Briars Regal

Purchased From: My Smoking Shop, Preston, UK

Ian K Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ian K (23)

After smoking a bowl of this freshly opened I didn't rate the blend that much however after leaving the tin for 6 months I decided to revisit it to my reward. As all Dunhill blends the superb ribbon cut lights and stays lit better than any other tobacco I,ve tried, tin note is a nice Latakian perfume and moisture content is the slightest bit on the damp side which as with the flavour will benefit from jarring for a couple of months...Flavour wise a wonderful latakian smokeyness on top of a smooth quality Vaginian blend which as the name suggests is so smooth right to the bottom of the bowl! A light yet flavoursome all day smooth smoke (have just ordered 2 more tins).

Pipe Used: Stanwell 9mm filtered

Age When Smoked: 6 months jarred

Purchased From: GQ tobaccos

Similar Blends: English blends.

Swiss-smoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Swiss-smoker (38)
Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

In my opinion the tin label is blunt and uninspired; the name is ridiculous and does not match with a pipe tobacco in any way. But, as we know, never judge a book by its cover. By the way – the name of this blend is different in Europe, where it’s sold under the name of “MY MIXTURE BB1938”. I wonder why. I never knew the old version, I am reviewing the new release of 2015.

It’s a light English Mixture, outstandingly smooth and mellow. Perfect moisture, excellent smoking conditions. Good quality tobacco, thin ribbon cut. The star throughout the show is this Virginia mix, which unfolds a fan of the well known Virginia flavours. Latakia is noticeable on a small scale only. There is some additional, artificial sweetness in this blend, but I can somewhat cope with it. In my opinion, adding English Cavendish instead, would have been a better choice. But then it had eventually turned from an English to a Scottish Mixture, may be too close to MM 965.

Recommendable as a light, tasty, easy-going all day smoke. Nothing for your pleasurable after-dinner pipe, though. Not really recommendable for the hard-core English/Latakia/Oriental smoker. For my personal needs this mixture lacks depth, is too weak and slightly too sweet. Just about ok for a quick smoke in-between. 2.5 stars.

Age When Smoked: New, out of the tin.

Purchased From: Internet, www.smokingpipes.com, USA.

Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Just a great all day blend. I never tried the original , but I have tried the H&H bulk and this tinned remake is much smoother. Not a blend that "explodes" with flavor , but as you smoke it, you appreciate the flavor subtleties and blending expertise.

There is really only one way I pack Dunhill ribbon cuts, ball it and stuff in one piece using the "Air pocket method". Always easy to light and keep lit at a sip. Not a blend that performs well when pushed , it's too delicate but still interesting.

I find myself always keeping an open tin on hand and turning to it anytime for those " I don't know what I want " moments. I generally don't smoke it for my first pipe of the day, that's usually reserved for EMP, EMP gives me a little more wakeup spice and "Lemon Pucker" punch, but I have smoked BB as that very last pipe of the day as a smooth "nightcap for Nightcap".

I'm giving this 4 stars ,not that it's such an earthshattering blend, but because it's so versatile and steady. However, I can't totally disagree with reviewer "DK" who rated this 2 stars, as this was not a flavor bomb.

Pipe Used: cob/ osark maple

Similar Blends: Smoother EMP with less spice and a touch more Latakia.

krg1000 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
krg1000 (164)

This blend comes back to production and gets all the cobwebs dusted off for good reason. Having never smoked the previous incarnations, I can only go with what is available now. The combination of the tobaccos comes together nicely to form a very good blend. They are of the quality expected from Dunhill. There is a good amount of smoke produced by this blend, which is a good thing. If nicotine is a problem for some, no fear here since, for me, it is on the low end of the spectrum. The room note may not get any compliments, but to me it and the taste makes up for that easily. Definitely worth the investment in a couple of tins. One for immediate consumption and perhaps one to age to see where this ends up. Recommended.

Contemplative Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Contemplative (19)
Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Pleasantly surprised to be confronted with something that was for me a new Dunhill mixture, but I see from the reviews that it is a re-issued classic.

On opening the tin I was met with a woody aroma, latakia mildly noticeable as a top note.

Lit up well, burns nicely, not too fast, and very good aroma. So often one can't smell what one's smoking, though of course everyone around you can.

Have had quite a few bowlfuls now, and this is an agreeable mixture which I will definitely be revisiting, unlike Durbar and Aperitif, the other two re-issues mentioned on this page, neither of which I liked at all.

I thought that BB1938 might be too strong, but it isn't. Can go 3 or 4 bowlfuls without having to use a pipe cleaner.

Others have written much better reviews, but anyway I can definitely join in with the general chorus of approval.

P.S: The cheapo Italian briar I used has been my preferred one for some months, since I purchased it in Canterbury (England). Seems to smoke better than my much more expensive Petersen meerschaum, Stanwell freehand, Portland straight grain, and other such pricey, well-known makes.

Pipe Used: Cheapo, anonymous, £10 Italian briar.

Age When Smoked: Straight from the tin after purchase

Purchased From: Newsagents in Market Square, Dover, Kent, England.

Similar Blends: Can't think of one exactly or nearly similar, but perhaps not far off classic English smoking mixtures..

DeathMetal.org Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DeathMetal.org (78)
Mild None Detected Medium Tolerable

Summary: A mixture of Virginia and Latakia with a possible vanilla topping, but too much jagged Latakia contrast to be a mild blend.

Blenders like mild blends as a means of achieving the holy trinity of tobacco popularity: easy burning, cool smoking and a pleasant room note. That allows people to smoke these blends all day. "My Mixture BB1938" creates a light English from mixed Virginias and Latakia, but the Latakia dominates everything else in the blend, creating a jagged flavor sensation that overwhelms any topping and makes this blend the opposite of mild. Otherwise, it is traditional Dunhill quality: easy burning, good natural flavor and a highly subtle marriage of flavors.

Jevverrett Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jevverrett (64)

I bought this one out of curiosity as it is a remake of a classic and well loved blend.

Not a lot to say about this one in general. Overall it's great I think. It reminds me a lot of 965, but with a much more pronounced Latakia flavor to it. And it is less sweet without the cav in it. The tin note is very smokey, dark and rich like baking cocoa. It's the usual dunhill ribbon cut, which is very neat and uniform.

It burns very well, and has a good smoke volume. Smokey, earthy, leathery. It gets sweeter and intensifies in flavor toward the bottom half of the bowl for me. It may be a new favorite of mine, a must for my cellar at least. I liked it on the first bowl, and I'm only halfway through the first tin. But I think I can put some thoughts down about it. Highly recommended, especially if you like 965 or the new durbar.

Pipe Used: Luciano billiard

Purchased From: Smokingpipes

Similar Blends: 965 and durbar.

Scriptonic Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Scriptonic (3)

Whoa whoa whoa. If you're not prepared for the spice in this one it will kick you on your ass. In a deep bowl it has enough spice that you would think they topped it with Sriracha. Starts off with just a slight slight slight sweetness. As you get deeper in the bowl it is almost like someone is turning up the spice dial. Really nice deep earthy flavors. At one point I had to look up the ingredients, I could of sworn there was burley in here.

Do yourself a favor and smoke it in a deep bowl to experience all of the flavors that develop.

This new blend is one of my top 3 Dunhill blends. I just wish it was easier to get on this side of the pond.

Pipe Used: Meer briar clay

Age When Smoked: Fresh like 2 chainz

Purchased From: gifted by fatticus

SWheat Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SWheat (8)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium Very Pleasant

On a recent visit to London, I stopped by the Dunhill shop and picked up several tins. This has become my exclusive morning smoke (at least until I burn the 4 tins I brought back). Typical to Dunhill, flavor and strength are underrated. The smooth cool Red, Bronze and Yellow Virginias are outstanding and kept in perfect balance by the healthy dose of latakia. This is a great medium/mild smoke that I would suggest for a morning to mid-afternoon smoke. It won't stand up to an evening meal, but is great with a cup of earl gray.

DUPE.629 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note

Baby's Bottom. April 2004. Its been a few years since I have smoked Babys Bottom. I would describe this as a smooth and delicate smoke The latakia is definitely noticeable but does not over-whelm the taste of the virginias.The virginias are high quality and delicious. If this was available in Australia now,I would certainly be purchasing more. Easy to light and highly enjoyable. If you enjoy virginias and your looking for a milder dose of latakia,then try this. 7 out of 10.

Joe Patterson Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Joe Patterson (48)
Mild None Detected Medium Pleasant

A friend of mine was recently across the pond and snagged 3 cans of this for me -- I'm nearly done with the first, and must curb myself reaching for it -- It's just a bit too hard to get my hands on to smoke too often. Indeed there is a healthy portion of latakia in this blend, which makes it a great smoke for all sized pipes. This will burn down to nothing and has an unusual post bowl smell, not bad, jsut different than most others. If you like latakia and can get some, try it, you should -- if you don't like it, I'll gladly take the rest of it.

FatMax Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
FatMax (2)

This tobacco does indeed live up to it's name. It has got to be one of the smoothest smokes I have ever had.

The latikia is fairly apparent in tin aroma promising a very flavorful smoke. The flavor is there, but there can be a bit of a sneaky tongue bite in there if you're a power smoker.

There is an imediate sweetness that that only slightly diminishes through the bowl. It isn't a terribly complex smoke, but a very solid enjoyable bowl.

Like most Dunhills, I would say this is a fine warm hearth and cushy chair smoke!