A smooth medium strength mixture which consists mainly of Red Virginia, but also has bronze and lemon Virginia, some flake and a good helping of Latakia. Available only at the Dunhill store.

BrandDunhill
Blended ByDunhill
Blend TypeVirginia/Latakia
ContentsLatakia, Virginia
Strength
Taste

* (Update on 7-06) Baby's Bottom was a classic, hand blended tobacco obtainable only by purchasing it through the Dunhill store in London. Murray's never produced this blend during its 25 year run as Dunhill's blender and Orlik (the current blender of the Dunhill recipies) does not now and never has blended and produced Baby's Bottom. My review below was written when the London store was blending it.

I ocasionally order some of the Dunhill blends (that cannot be purchased in the USA) by phone at their England store. Baby's Bottom is the one I buy most often. My most recent tin was a gift from a friend, and since I had not visited this age old classic in more than a year, I dug right in!

This is a very smooth tobacco, and despite the significant Latakia content the accompanying Virginia leaf is very evident, both in the tin and at the match. Again, this is a traditional English blend that hovers more on the light side and is as smooth as -- well, as a baby's bottom.

Much more elegant in flavor than Early Morning Pipe and not nearly as heavy as 965, this one works best for me. I would not smoke it regularly due to its too traditional English taste (give me Virginias or give me death!) but will buy a tin or two again on down the road as it's a nice old friend.

straightgrain Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
straightgrain (6)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant

This review was taken from a sealed tin of Parker-Hardcastle's Baby's Bottom.

Starts off with the qualities and taste of dark chocolate, slightly bitter but mostly sweet. There's a slight hint of tartness that adds depth to the chocolate note without overwhelming it.

Near the mid way point, it becomes deeper and slightly more tart but the sweetness is still clearly evident in the background.

Past the mid way point, wine like qualities become evident (thick, creamy & chewy) as the chocolate note moves to the background.

As you near bottom, the smokiness of the Latakia dominates and the wine like qualities and chocolate traits become background notes.

It finishes deep & tasty without any hint of heat or harshness.

Overall a deep, tasty & smooth mixture with many complex dimensions and layers.

The aroma is deep, spicy, slightly dusty/musty & pungent.

swaviator Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
swaviator (3)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium Tolerable

Having started pipe smoking while in college some 35-years ago, I have had the opportunity to try many different blends. Early on I found the Dunhill English blends to my liking...everything from Baby's bottom to Night Cap. But knowing that these tobaccos are not blended as they once were, I was reluctant to try a couple of ounces of Baby's Botton in order to rekindle an old friendship, but I did.

My blend reviews are generally generous in acceptance and not overly critical. After two bowls in two of my best tobacco burners, this Baby's Bottom left me feeling like I had just licked the gates of hell. This Baby needs a diaper change!

My hope is that this was just a bad batch...I hope. I scattered it as expensive mulch for my lawn, so as not to again be tempted.

tonyg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tonyg (103)

Forty-seven years ago, as a college freshman, I was introduced to Dunhill blends. I smoked them on those rare occassions when I could afford the dollar to buy a two ounce tin. I continued to smoke Baby's Bottom and virtually every other Dunhill tobacco more and more as my budget would allow. Of all the blenders in those days, Dunhill was peerless. Whenever I was in New York City, I would make it a point to stop at the Dunhill store at Rockefeller Center and pick up a few tins of the exclusive tobaccos blended there. There wasn't one blend that I didn't like although I did have my favorites.

Well, those days are long gone. Even the store is long gone.

The quality of the Dunhill blends have deminished over the years. Just a few years ago, one could pick up a decent tin but now their (they're really not Dunhill's) tobaccos bear only the slightest resemblance to what once was. The resemblance is superficial at best. The current blend does not live up to the standards found in today's finer tobaccos.

Do yourself a favor and skip this one, unless of course, you can find and afford a vintage tin.

CaptnDan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CaptnDan (242)

I was given a generous sample of this blend from a friend's cellar. He told me he's had it for over six years.

I love it. It could be the age, it could be the idea that I can't get this stuff very often, or it could just be because this is a wonderfully balanced top quality blend of fine Va and Latakia.

The Virginias in this mix are quite pleasant and firmly state their presence by adding a delightful sweetness and dimension to the Latakia.

Baby's Bottom is aptly named. They aren't blowing smoke (pun intended), this is one smooth blend.

Present-day abominations under the name Dunhill aside, this is the kind of smoke that the name Dunhill brings to mind. Top quality, superb balance, rich flavor, and a perfect burn.

DrDNA Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DrDNA (58)
Mild to Medium None Detected Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Notes: Originally blended By H.L. Savory, the blend came to Dunhill after the latter purchased the former in, I believe, 1938. The blend changed very little in the intervening years, but finally disappeared with the closing of Murray's blending house in 2005, along with Dunhill's other in-store blends. No longer available but occasionally seen at auction, perhaps. My review is based on Savory's original blend, as well as various vintages of Dunhill's offering. It smokes, it seems to me, equally well in all pipes, though I enjoyed it in a old Charatan briar quite well.

Appearance: Nut brown to reddish brown fully rubbed out medium thin cut ribbon with about 25-30% black leaf mixed in.

Aroma: Leather, old books, dried figs, smoke, benzoin, myrrh, good Virginia tobacco aroma, powdered sugar.

Taste: Without question, the smoothest smoking blend I have had. Not the nuttiest, though walnut and pecan are present. Not the mellowest, though it is quite mellow indeed. Smoky in an almost subliminal way, hovering over gentle matured virginia leaf like clouds on an overcast London day.

Comparisons: Unique amongst the latakia blends. Smoky without being forceful. As latakia-rich as Penzance or Nightcap but without any of the pungency at all. With the softness of a cavendish blend like Dunhill's My Mixture No. 965, but without being cloying or spicy.

Bottom Line: Not available. Those seeking a typical latakia tour de force will be disappointed. Those seeking a soft, smoky subdued English blend will rejoice.

SWheat Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SWheat (8)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium Very Pleasant

On a recent visit to London, I stopped by the Dunhill shop and picked up several tins. This has become my exclusive morning smoke (at least until I burn the 4 tins I brought back). Typical to Dunhill, flavor and strength are underrated. The smooth cool Red, Bronze and Yellow Virginias are outstanding and kept in perfect balance by the healthy dose of latakia. This is a great medium/mild smoke that I would suggest for a morning to mid-afternoon smoke. It won't stand up to an evening meal, but is great with a cup of earl gray.

DUPE.629 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note

Baby's Bottom. April 2004. Its been a few years since I have smoked Babys Bottom. I would describe this as a smooth and delicate smoke The latakia is definitely noticeable but does not over-whelm the taste of the virginias.The virginias are high quality and delicious. If this was available in Australia now,I would certainly be purchasing more. Easy to light and highly enjoyable. If you enjoy virginias and your looking for a milder dose of latakia,then try this. 7 out of 10.

Joe Patterson Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Joe Patterson (48)
Mild None Detected Medium Pleasant

A friend of mine was recently across the pond and snagged 3 cans of this for me -- I'm nearly done with the first, and must curb myself reaching for it -- It's just a bit too hard to get my hands on to smoke too often. Indeed there is a healthy portion of latakia in this blend, which makes it a great smoke for all sized pipes. This will burn down to nothing and has an unusual post bowl smell, not bad, jsut different than most others. If you like latakia and can get some, try it, you should -- if you don't like it, I'll gladly take the rest of it.

FatMax Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
FatMax (2)

This tobacco does indeed live up to it's name. It has got to be one of the smoothest smokes I have ever had.

The latikia is fairly apparent in tin aroma promising a very flavorful smoke. The flavor is there, but there can be a bit of a sneaky tongue bite in there if you're a power smoker.

There is an imediate sweetness that that only slightly diminishes through the bowl. It isn't a terribly complex smoke, but a very solid enjoyable bowl.

Like most Dunhills, I would say this is a fine warm hearth and cushy chair smoke!