A distinctive blend of smooth Virginia and other fine leaf.

Notes: St Bruno pipe tobacco was first marketed by Thomas Ogden in 1896 and celebrated its centenary in 1996 with a market share of 23 per cent and sales of 235 tonnes a year. Over 30 years earlier, in 1860, he opened the first of many tobacconists' shops in Park Lane, Liverpool.

BrandOgden
2.4
garydobbs Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
garydobbs (18)
Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

My fabourite of the easily available blends - I find this tobacco to always give a good full flavoured smoke. I like full bodied tobbacco and St Bruno is one such beast. The packet states that it is made up of Virginia and other fine leaf tobacco varities and I'm certain I detect some latakia in this. I've smoked both the ready rubbed and flaked variety and I slighly prefer the ready rubbed variety.

Pipe Used: Parker earl

Purchased From: ASDA (Walmasrt group)

Similar Blends: many English blends.

CornCob Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CornCob (71)
Medium to Strong Very Strong Medium to Full Pleasant

When i think of the characteristics of an English tobacco i think of St.Bruno, that's really all i can say on the subject. Like Captain Black is to America, St.Bruno is to the English in my mind. An English institution.

ScannerDarkly7 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ScannerDarkly7 (6)
Very Strong None Detected Full Tolerable

As I write this, I am smoking a bowl of the Ready Rubbed version in a MM 'Legend' corn cob. It comes quite wet, but is smokable [keep in mind I've had a wet smoke and a dry one from this], but I've dried this out quite a bit, which makes little difference in taste, just easier to keep lit. Like many who live in the UK, I did not pick this up out of necessity, but out of sheer curiosity, and since I had already tried Condor [which one can only compare, as per OTC blends], I felt I've need to give the other OTC tobacco a shot. St Bruno is to old leather as Condor is to soap; unfortunately, both of those remain dominantly potent in either tobacco, respectively.

This tobacco, I find very strong, and I have a lot of Dunhill and Samuel Gawith English blends, but this is stronger than either. I don't know if it's a good thing, but it's pouch note is certainly akin to its smoke more so than any other tobacco I've tried. Whilst the old leather taste/aroma is present, it becomes rather mellow and allows for a spicy smokey oak to come through [but far too rarely], once you get over the strength. Even after drying out, I did have a little trouble keeping it lit.

There were moments in my bowl, where I did come close to enjoying a nice mellow, oaky smoke, but the overwhelming peppery spice came through far too much. That pepperyness is too harsh. Half way through the bowl, I actually thought it was finished and I was smoking ash! Recommended you scrape off layers of ash just to get back to tolerable smoke so you can finish a bowl. Any bowlful of tobacco that makes me think it's far too uncomfortable to smoke without a filter does not get a thumbsup from me -- especially when it's always been advertised as mellow -- for those younger like me, check out the old St Bruno adverts on YouTube!

Like Condor [sorry to keep mentioning it so much], I can see _why_ people enjoy this, and I think it's certainly worth trying, as it's very distinctive [not necessarily a positive]. I think the blend is quite simple, no complexity at all.

I would not recommend this tobacco, as I personally did not enjoy it. However, I would recommend at least trying to due to its availability if you are curious. Perhaps you're able to find the better of the flavours I mentioned I rarely experienced. Talking of experience, this is a blend I'd say is more likely to be enjoyed by the experienced pipe smokers... such as ex-MP Tony Benn, who probably smoke nothing else.

It claims to be a virginia-based tobacco. I'd like to know more, but I don't think its contents really account for anything over experience/taste.

It's interesting how I see a lot of people using St Bruno as a blending tobacco e.g. "Ogden's Blend": 50/50 St Bruno/Gold Block. Perhaps there is a foundation of something to build on here. Perhaps there's flavours you could build upon, or try and simmer the potency. Or perhaps people are trying to put to use 50g of something they'd rather not put in the bin!

I'd suggest using it to blend yourself some Kinnikinnick -- a Native American smoking product, typically made of mixture of various leaves or barks with other plant materials.

Pipe Used: Missouri Meerschaum Legend Corn Cob

Purchased From: Sainsbury's OTC

Lord Clam Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Lord Clam (3)
Medium to Strong None Detected Mild to Medium Strong

This is a classic English pipe tobacco, favourite of old men in Britain and Tony Benn. In the pouch it smells woody and spicy, with an overpowering smell of shoe leather.

I have had trouble keeping it alight and packing it,possibly due to the new width of the flake. Initially, you get a massive hit of nicotine, however once you are used to the strength and the vitamin - N kick, some wonderful spicey notes came through.

As I am used to smoking aromatics and light tobaccos, I found this was appreciated best, for me, in a corncob with a filter. This allowed me to not get too overwhelmed by the strength, and allowed the definite positives of the blend to come through.

Another point of interest is that it creates a wonderful thick cake on your pipe!

This is a good all round English tobacco, consistent and easily smokeable, if not for the faint - hearted.

Dr.sadik Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dr.sadik (100)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Strong

st.bruno has been on the market for a long time and i can see why! its a ready rubbed flake of virginia and burly with a mild lakeland flavor, the broken flake texture makes up for easy to fill, long, clean smoke with virginia lakeland flavor dominating (milder than condor however). it can be a relaxing smooth smoke with not much expectations to put on the table. i would recommend it to non aromatics and english tobacco smokers. the room note is not friendly and this blend like many lakelands can ghost your pipe and mouth!

Grandad Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Grandad (8)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Tolerable to Strong

I would not recommend this at all. The taste is not pleasant and the smoke leaves a very stale smell in the air. For the Price of this over-the-counter tobacco, you can easily find better quality tobaccos elsewhere and maybe even a little cheaper... I would pass what I have left on to someone else but none of my enemies smoke a pipe!

With this tobacco, I also found that it's tar content is very high! I've never had such a collection of gunk in my pipe when cleaning the stem as I have with other tobacco's. You may as well shred your tyres and smoke that instead.

SMOKETSES Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SMOKETSES (208)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

When I went to Vitoria elias_62 asked me to bring in - if you find – a pouch Why don't I get one for my shelf I thought. I had heard very good things from several people who have had the chance to smoke this blend of Kentucky and Virginia, from the time it was made by Ogden's of Liverpool. Has excellent moisture even though it is in a pouch, easily fills the bowl, easily lit and kept alight easily without much effort. Maintains the characteristic flavor to the end, leaving a clean white ash. Strong nicotine. Unfortunately no longer placed in tin. Too bad cause I would easily buy 4-5 tins to store