PipesAndCigars

A complex blend of Virginias, Cavendish, Latakia and Oriental Leaf. The name 'Aperitif' suggests this well balanced medium mixture should be enjoyed prior to dinner.

BrandDunhill
Taste

3.2
Eulenburg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Eulenburg (193)

Like 965, and unlike DURBAR or NIGHTCAP, this has some Cavendish leaf in it.

English Cavendish is not like American Cavendish. American cavendish is made out of Burley, cased. English cavendish is made out of Virginia, pressed, steamed, uncased. It lends a mixture a buffering, velvety element which marries smoothly with the Orientals. Smootheness is of the essence.

965 being a "lotsa latakia" blend, I find the cavendish there a little diconcerting, like putting a bit of sugar into oolong tea. On the other hand, it certainly buffers the possible astringency of some Oriental leaf. This blend has considerably less latakia than 965, and so the cavendish is less surprising.

For me, smoothness is not of the essence. Since I love the natural astringency of NIGHTCAP and DURBAR, I have always tended to leave 965 and APERITIF alone. But they form a very significant flowerbed in the Dunhill garden, and people who like a cushiony, lush latakia~oriental experience will enjoy Apéritif.

Thorre Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Thorre (27)
Medium to Strong Very Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

When I first tried Aperitif, I was smoking 965 and Nightcap almost exclusively. This blend blew me away. It seemed to be a sweeter version of 965. That sounds very simplistic, and I am sure there was more going on than that, but I was a new smoker. I have smoked some Balkans that have a similar taste. It was as close to dessert blend as I enjoyed then. Toward the bottom of the bowl it almost had a very mild maple flavor. It was delicious. I hope to smoke it again one day. It made a great rotation blend. Of course the quality of the weed, was something Dunhill was famous for.

Bigdadz Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bigdadz (33)
Medium None Detected Full Tolerable

This blend blew me away. It reminded me of the murray's 965 which I throughly enjoyed. It has the distinctive dunhill signature, leathery, spicy and buttery thanks to the english canvendish. Easy to keep lit and full of flavour.

Similar Blends: Murray's 965.

Dunhill Aperitif . The aroma from the blend immediately says "I contain Latakia"! The mixture includes a fair selection of different tobaccos with a perfect content of moisture . The ribbons lean more towards the slender end of the scale , all very thin with a decent mixture of lengths . It's probably due to the delicate build that this gets lit very simply and once it is ignited it stays that way , even if you leave it for a little while un-attended it keeps burning . Despite the aroma from the mix being heavier with Latakia , the flavour from the smoke is VERY even with the different constituents . A blend where you can easily pick out them all without your pallet being swamped by the different varieties . Throughout the entire bowl I don't find tongue bite occurring even if really strained . Aperitif also has a mild sweet addition to it , almost honey like . "N" ? Perfect , not strong , not weak and inhales with excellent ease . As an aperitif before a hearty meal ? Well yes , it would set you up for a feast but I really think instead of 'Aperitif' it could be re-named "Dunhill Any time" ! A very steady blend !

Pipe Used: Peterson

Purchased From: Smoke King

Cobman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Cobman (9)
Medium None Detected Medium to Full Very Pleasant

Oh wow! Oh wow! Oh wow!. I can't hardly think of anything else to say about this blend. I am not a fan of Latakia, but this blend has just the slightest Latakia edge, that blends with the other flavors rather than taking center-stage. This was coupled with some Orientals, and Cavendish everywhere, wonderfully sweet, not fruity, and silky smooth right to the last puff. The room note was incredible...a little spice, a bit of smokiness, and dark cavendish, mostly. No problems with lighting or burning. It's not real strong, but enough to be very satisfying, certainly better than most aromatics, which to me, mostly feel like flavored air. Absolutely no bite, or any other issues, except that I can only smoke so much at a time. I think I am in love......

Pipe Used: Missouri Meerschaum Mark Twain Cob

Purchased From: Pipes and Cigars.com

Similar Blends: Nothing I've ever smoked before..

Blackbeard Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Blackbeard (1)
Medium None Detected Very Full Tolerable to Strong

I visited my regular tobacconist - the only specialist tobacconist left in Bristol, the fine Birds of Baldwin Street - intent on buying a tin of Nightcap and a flake of some sort. I'm a bit of a latakia nutcase; it became a bit like a drug, were I was constantly seeking a stronger hit. It started with Dunhill London mixture, and discovering that it was the latakia layer that I especially loved, My Mixture 965 and Nightcap were suggested to me. 965 didn't do it for me; it had the latakia but it didn't have enough 'belly' to hold it up; the way I taste it is that the latakia is a top layer that needs a strong foundation. I had the same complaint with a recent recommendation, Rattray's Black Mallory. Some latakia in there, but the underbelly was thin. Once I'd discovered Nightcap I thought that was it; the quest was over. I like to smoke a good flake too so I soon found the strongest latakia flake available to me, Gawith's Balkan Flake. But due to sometimes having difficulty getting down to this only pipe tobacconist in town, I found myself having to settle for whatever the newsagent had; usually some aromatic such as Clan. But this was actually for the best; dull though it was it cleansed the palate, and made that first bowl of proper tobacco such a pleasure. Experimenting a little I often buy a tin of Gawith's Navy Flake, with its latakia-rum mixture. But now to the Aperitif. Reading the reviews below it seems like this has been around for a while. This is puzzling as I thought uBirds were introducing it as new from Dunhill. (Or perhaps that was the one next to it on the shelf - I may have made a mistake). Anyway, asking for a description, the gentleman opened his own stash to give me a whiff of it - boom. Sold. I hadn't smoked a decent tobacco in about a week (by which I mean an English blend, a Dunhill or Sam Gawith, instead tolerating newsagent fare such as Route 66 and lord forbid Condor, so once outside I was like a kid at Christmas. I'll cut to the chase now: this is even better than Nightcap. This is the finest English Blend I've ever smoked. Now, I need to do a 'pepsi challenge ' next to a Nightcap, but I sense that this has more latakia and a richer foundation on which to layer it. Golly it's a full flavour, and as a result i suffer no tongue bite from 'oversmoking' - (when I find myself charging at a lousy tobacco to try to get a flavour that isn't there, and burning it up in the process). Whether old, new, or re-introduced, what I'm experiencing right now is absolutely the finest, fullest latakia smoke I've come across. The only problem is how to hide the smell from my landlord... Ouch..

Pipe Used: Peterson Kilarney 150 Bulldog straight stem

Purchased From: Birds of Baldwin Street, Bristol, England

Similar Blends: Dunhill - Nightcap, Dunhill - My Mixture 965.

Virginia lover Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Virginia lover (132)

New Orlik version and I never had the opportunity to smoke Murray's. The smell from the tin says 965 with Latakia quite present. The fine ribbon cut tobacco is moist but could be smoked right away. It lights easily and burns quite fast especially for fast puffers. The Cavendish is the dominating flavor, a slightly sweet and mellow taste with some tangy Virginia and spicy accents from the Oriental and Latakia. The description is spot on for a smoke before your last meal of the day. It's even good as a last smoke if one doesn't want something too strong but with a good amount of flavor. This mixture benefits more from sipping than fast puffing, the flavors tend to be replaced by a sharp tangy taste if you rush your smoking session.

LZ639 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
LZ639 (10)

This is a very earthy, mildly sweet and flavorful tobacco. Probably the smoothest of the Dunhill offerings. The primary flavor comes from the oriental leaf while any latakia (if there is any) is very unintrusive and not really noticeable. It provides a pleasant smoke throughout with zero tongue bite.

Contrary to what this page days, you can find it at nearly anyshop in the U.S. that sells high grade pipe tobacco.

Pipe Used: Wilke

Age When Smoked: 53

Purchased From: Just For Him

I Like this new release, period ! To me, Dunhill, has a strange marketing ploy, naming their blends for different times of the day, Early Morning Pipe, Nightcap, Aperitif. I actually like smoking their different blends, whenever, and this is no exception.

I find their "ribbon" cuts very easy to work with . Easy to pack, light, stay lit and no problems with embers falling all over.

This particular blend is smooth and I would compare it to a mild MM 965. I have never been a big fan of MM965 because I personally find it on the harsh side. This might not have the same bold flavor as MM965, but I do find it to be an all day smoke, while still being a flavorful, smooth, " Scottish" blend.

I agree with reviewer ,"Eulenburg 2004-05-09" even with the new release.

Pipe Used: cob

Similar Blends: My Mixture 965.

Junkyard Dawg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Junkyard Dawg (24)

My tins have been bought from a fellow member on pipesmagazine.com and are dated 2007; they are thus an Orlik production. Considering The Apéritif have not been produced since, probably, early to mid 2005, it's probably 9 rather than 7 years old. The thing that stroke me the most when I opened the tin was how much the tobacco stinked. Very smoky, almost too much; and almost sickening. But that quickly vanished. The Apéritif stands apart from the other offerings from Dunhill as it's a Scottish blend. I like to think of it as in between EMP and 965 when it comes to nicotine input; creamier and less sweet than EMP despite the Cavendish; and less spicy than 965. There seems to be more Cavendish than Latakia in The Apéritif and that's ok, as it's a Scottish blend. My educated guess for the Latakia is Syrian as the tin note was not characteristic of the Cyprien. Definitively not a Latakia dominant tobacco, it stands out with its own merits. The cavendish is definitively unsweetened and brings that creamy foundation that characterizes The Apéritif. Then the Turkish unveils slightly spicy notes and the virginia, some sweetness. The latakia will manifest itself occasionnally by adding some smokiness. A very good blend, that is not high in nicotine but remains tasteful and rich from beginning to end. I would certainly recommend it for anyone seeking an introduction to Latakia blends or for anyone seeking a mild Scottish blend. I wonder if STG have Syrian Latakia in reserve if Apéritif contains it; if not, I certainly wonder how it will do with Cyprian instead? I will rebuy when it's available in the USA, as it's been released in the UK a few months ago.

Pipe Used: Stanwell; Rattray; Dunhill

Age When Smoked: Between 7 and 9 years

Purchased From: Private sale

This review is based on the Murray's version. It's not quite as well balanced as the description states, but there's a few things going for it. The latakia is smokey and woodsy, but at times is subdued by the spice of the Orientals. There's a natural sweetness from the Virginias along with some grass and hay notes. The cavendish adds a little sweetness, too, but overall, this is not a sweet blend. There's some bitterness, but no harshness. Packs well, burns cool, dry, and even with no bite. No change from other English blends, and appealing to Oriental fans. How the new version that's to come will measure up is something I'm interested to learn.

Torben Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Torben (7)
Mild to Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

I found this recipe on the web. My Own Blend recipe for Aperitif: 55% Latakia G019 20% Light virginia shortcut G003 10% Oriental G001 10% Black cavendish G010 5% Kentucky G028

The "G000" codes refer to the numbers MOB use for the different tobaccos

The Gentle Smoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The Gentle Smoker (11)
Mild to Medium None Detected Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Aperitif????? I could smoke this all day!!!!

This is very subtle and nice. An unmistakable Dunhill taste. I'm loving this blend more and more each day.

Got my favorite Winslow full bent out and sorry to cut this review short, but I'm going out for another bowl.......

Stan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Stan (141)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

A full English Oriental. Smooth but heavy.

Nice ribbons, easy to load, quick burning for a large pipe. Not hot or bitey.

Heavier than Durbar in both Turkish and Latakia but by no means a Latakia bomb. Smoother to me than Crown Achievement. The Turkish dominates the first half of a bowl before the Latakia kicks in to add some spice. I like the dominion the Turkish has over the blend in a new tin. Seldom seen.

This seems to me more loyal to the old Murray formulation (it may have had more Latakia though) than some of the other Orlik products but most are still good to very good.

Very good indeed for an experienced English puffer.

Pipe Used: Ashton ('91)

Age When Smoked: new tin

Similar Blends: D' 965, Land"' Crown Achievement.

I have a about 1/2 left of my stock of what was my favorite Dunhill blend. Long gone for U.S. residents, it is definitely our loss.

The latakia in this blend has always stayed in the background and was it's the buttery orientals that sing the loudest in this tobacco. The combination produces a very unique flavor not found in any other blend of it's kind.

I always loved this tobacco and would even smoke an Orlik version of it if it were available.

cgar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
cgar (37)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable

If only this could be put back on the market! Truely one of the finest blends that Dunhill had going. Aperitif is so well balanced that it could be an all day smoke, but its uniqueness makes it a bit more sophisticated which makes it a nice end of the day smoke. The smokey hickory, bbq flavor is just a perfect touch for the outdoors on a quiet night. Orlik if possible please please attempt to give this another go!!!

Aperitif is another one of the Dunhill blends that Orlik has chosen to leave as a memory with their return to the American market. I am not sure if it was due to lack of demand or lack of available leaf. Either way, like most Dunhill blends Aperitif is made of quality leaf and is somewhat complex for a blend touted as...well, an aperitif. Like most Dunhill blends, Aperitif will offer a good dose of Lady N if smoked quickly. This medium English offers an underlying sweetness to complement its smokey quality. It could easily be an all day smoke. However, I would agree with Claudius below in that its not distinctive, at least not enough to pay big bucks for when my small small stash is exhausted. I would recommend it for lovers of Dunhill blends that haven't had the chance to try it.

M.Toney Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
M.Toney (53)

Sampled from a 2001 vintage tin. Aroma was predominantly Oriental with Latakia in the background. At first light, I already knew how I was going to rate this blend. I prefer this light Latakia mix and these tobaccos develop a mild, sweet melange of flavors. Yes...this one takes me back!

Very confortable on the palate & reminiscent of Balkan Sobranie in flavor & also reminded me of MM 965 as well but the Latakia content is applied a little more sparingly. On the other end of the spectrum, it is similar to Sullivan & Powell's, Gentleman's Mixture Original. The aftertaste is also quite favorable and adds to the delight. Did Alfred Dunhill know how to blend tobacco? So far, this is my second favorite Latakia blend, next to The Balkan Sobranie OM.

With a little more Latakia infusion, this could be a medium Balkan mixture & closer to the BSOM but that's just my personal taste-test impression...my palate has license to mill. Heavy on the Orientals this one is, with a captivating, sweet, exotic tin aroma...ie., you know it's probably going to be really good...and it is.

It burns well & smokes cool & mild with a sweetness that develops more as the bowl progresses. I don't notice the Latakia so much approaching mid bowl. The pleasant, sweet aftertaste on my palate was satisfying & the Vitamin N content is sufficient. I "enjoy this prior to dinner" and any other time of the day or night. Could readily be an all day smoke.

I suppose one could classify this as an English Oriental or a Light Balkan...take your pick. It maintains good flavor throughout the entire smoke. Very soft, creamy, sweet smoke which requires no maintenance. This is another Dunhill crowning achievement which has satisfied many a smoker for decades & I'm e pluribus unum on this one.

Mix a little Latakia & Red Va, Nightcap, or MM 965 with this blend and you have a striking resemblance to the "The Balkan Sobranie OM"...at least, you'll be caught up in the smoke from the arrangement, unless you or your palate is dead. If this one doesn't get you rocking back on the celestial plains of life or entice you to contemplate ascending Mt. Everest before breakfast, nothing will! Therefore, IMHO, Aperitif merits four stars. Sampled in a size two Dunhill.

Big bad Jon Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Big bad Jon (232)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable

THe mildest of the true English Dunhill tobaccos (EMP is in my mind not an English tobacco). This cool smoking tobacco has all the typical attributes of an Dunhill English with the added twist of Cavendish. This provides the unusually cool mild flavors that make this an alternative to most full bodied English tobaccos. The Cavendish does not water down the flavor but adds its own soft silky earthiness that balances an already well balanced tobacco. THe latakia is woody but not salty, and has the tin note of smoke. The orientals are very mild and slightly spicy but not as pronounced as I would like. Other mentionables are the exceptionally sweet VA's that could use a bit more aging to add consistently, and the room note which for the mildness of the tobacco seems to be a bit more forward than I expected. Very good tobacco I plan on buying more to add to my ever growing collection.

Guyrox Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Guyrox (131)
Medium None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

The common medium English mixture, well blended, of superior quality.

The addition of cavendish gives it a different, subtle touch, however.

Never as too strong as 965, but with more hair on its chest than Early Morning Pipe or London Mixture.

Yup, a fine balance.

Camus Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Camus (15)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable

I have never had the Murray's version but the current Orlik one is a real let down. If it were a loudspeaker it would be all mid-range - no treble or bass. Added to which it has a sickly sweetness that I find nauseous. I find that is a Danish tobacco character that I cannot stand; it's not a sharp sweetness like you have in a Virginia, which I quite like.

Luckily I rescued it by mixing it 50/50 with Nat Sherman's 536 where it serves to "fill in" the "mid-range hole" that 536 has. The excellent latakia in 536 tones the sweetness down a bit and makes a reasonable smoke in the end.

My 200th Review!!!!

Appearance and Tin Aroma: a good mixture of dark, mahogany, brown, and ocassional light leaf. Smells deliciously pungent. Almost a sweet and sour aroma. Makes my mouth water...

Packing and Lighting: I usually leave the tin open in a nice dark place for about 2 hours upon initial opening of the tin. The medium ribbon cut packs fairly easily. 2-3 Lights max.

Initial Flavor: Mana! This is a delicious Scottish/English/Oriental Mixture.

Mid-Bowl: Delicious round flavor, gets into the zone easily. Does not need much puffing to get flavor. I love the room note.

Bottom of the Bowl: Ends too quickly! Leaves a fine, dry grey ash when done. Does not build too much strength or a nicotine blast.

Overall: This is by far my favorite blend from the Dunhill line. Not as rich as LM, not bloated and cloying like 965, no blast like Nightcap. IMO this is one of the best all-day blends you can get. Not as soft as Exotique by Smokers Haven, not as rough as Red Raparee. I can smoke bowls of this back to back with nary a tongue-bite or nicotine headaches like some blends can give. Since this will not be blended in the U.K. anymore, I have since stashed a lot of this blend. No telling what the Orlick version will be like. Go and get some now! A truly refined blend worthy of the staunchest Calvinist! Enjoy...

Not a bell ringer for this cowboy. I found this blend to be lacking in a lot of areas. It contained a subdued amount of latakia, and an overwhelming amount of oriental leaf. I found the combination to be rather gummy, but fans of huge Orientals should like this one.

If you are an oriental fan, and like little else in the blend, then quick, buy up all this stuff you can get your hands on. If, on the other hand, you prefer your oriental leaf to be a bit more subtle, train your eyes elsewhere.

Thbg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Thbg (29)

I really, really enjoy this blend. Smooth/creamy, spicy and sweet without being overbearing in strength. It is a perfect marriage of flavors…The sweetness is always subtle, but lasts the entirety of the pipe, almost as a base, with the other flavors playing on top. It is mellow enough to be smoked all day. The cut is perfect for packing and lighting and keeping lit. I am happy that Dunhill brought this blend back out and while I guess they call this a "Scottish" blend, I find I am favoring it more than the other English type blends that I smoke.

Pipe Used: Boswell freehands, Peterson donegal

Purchased From: pipes and cigars dot com

From Etten Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
From Etten (22)
Strong Medium Medium Pleasant

Thin ribbon cut, moist with no particular aroma out of the tin. Nice packing with immediate pleasant aroma with the char. Noted this is a new offering of Va, orientals, Latakia and black Cav. Smokingly pleasant as advertised a balanced blend. OK, Whoa! At the half bowl mild N began, but wait, this is a lovely smoke with a great bowl aroma. Finishing the bowl left me feeble for awhile - way to robust for me. 2 Star. I know I can mix this with my wonderful Crown Achievement and gain a four star smoke with less robust.

Pipe Used: Tsuge Briar

Age When Smoked: tin fresh

krg1000 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
krg1000 (139)

I have heard of previous incarnations of this and other blends throughout the years. I cannot attest to the differences between this and any other previous blenders. I can only go with what is available now. I find this blend to be a very high quality blend with good quality tobaccos used. It lights up with no problems right out of the tin and stays lit with little effort. For me there was no need to dry before putting flame to it. YMMV. The tin note and room note are both amazing to me. It produces a nice amount of smokiness and has a decent amount of nicotine in it, but nowhere near overpowering in any way. This can easily become a favorite in my rotation. Highly recommended.

CPT/VSG Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CPT/VSG (72)

The arc of my experience with The Aperitif ranged from dislike to pleasure. For some reason, the first half of the Murray's tin I smoked didn't agree with my chemistry and I was nearly prepared to abandon the project. But, after letting it sit for a while, I gave it a second shot and it was like smoking a different tobacco. The Aperitif is a mild English--as its name inplies, suitable as a palate awakener. I like such tobaccos and in that role, it performes admirably. Somewhat milder than EMP in my mind, it is a fine morning smoke or a prelude to sronger after dinner fare. Despite the description, I could not detect the cavendish. The tin art is classic. It is rumored that The Aperitif is going to return along with Elizabethan Mixture--I hope that proves true as it would be in my cellar upon reentry. Now if only Durbar would return....

Adam_Beckmark Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Adam_Beckmark (10)

As the name said, a very goof tobacco to have before a good dinner.

furious Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
furious (29)

Was gifted a tin of Murray's production last fall and have smoked most of it now. What a stellar blend and the aging process has further enhanced the Virginias and slightly toned down the Latakias. Really wish that Orlik would start production of this again!

sgharvey Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
sgharvey (2)
Medium Mild Medium Tolerable to Strong

Tin of '05 production, which I believe would make it Murray's.

Although the tobacco was a ribbon cut (I think), the topping? casing? had caused it to become a single clump. My first few bowls worth I rubbed loose from the top, then I jarred the rest. Fortunately the tobacco was resting inside of a bit of ruffled paper that pulled right out, so I was able to gently break the cake into something that would crumble into a jar.

Tin note of strong barbecue sauce, slightly unpleasant.

Very smoky and herby, like throwing sage on smoldering hickory charcoal. It might actually be good to smoke around a barbecue, provided that you think it won't clash with the spices of what's on the grill.

Dries my mouth out, but a pickle fixes that right up. Nice aftertaste, which lingers for quite some time; the scent really clings to your clothes, as well.

Room note is nice at first, but a day or so later and it has more of a stale tobacco smoke smell; not as unpleasant as stale cigarette smoke, but still not ideal.

Claudius Stradivarius Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Claudius Stradivarius (171)

There was nothing special about it.

Very good mixture but nothing distinctive.

jcohio Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jcohio (4)
Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant

A very good friend gave me an unopened tin of this delicious weed recently and from the first bowl it was love at first light. As a newbie to the wonders of the English blends I wish that I had met this one much earlier in life so that my cellar could also be well stocked. You can still find some of this wonderful blend on-line but most likely it will cost you a King's ransom. I will continue to monitor the reviews of others with the hope that someone can suggest a currently available alternative that I should try.

colt25314 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
colt25314 (41)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium to Full Very Pleasant

Contact British American Tobaco (BAT) and demand that they either manufacyure all of Dunhill Pipe Tobaccos or sell the rights to someone who will. It is insanity to let this and other Dunhill pipe tobacco blends die out. Shame on BAT!!!!

Skando Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Skando (155)

Alongwith opened tins to be cleared out from cellar, here is a case of something to be religiously kept well protected...

This tin is marked "dunhill" (not "Dunhill" in italic font, know what I mean ?) and shows the Mark "by appointment of Her Majesty... as purveyors..." upon it; the rim is also showing "Manufactured and blended in the United Kingdom" and "Alfred Dunhill Ltd. Duke Street St. James's London". I bought it in Munich (DE) circa 1990, I well remember how many good tobacconists with products we never had in Italy!

The tobacco was taken out from the tin time and time ago, well before it went ruined by the rust, and put on a glass vacuum jar. I'm still keeping the tin, just to remember the good times... and regarding the tobacco, I know where to go when I want celebrate the true english mixtures of old.

It was supposed that the "appetizing" qualities of Apertif were due to some cigar leaf added, maybe there is a small quantity, I could't swear.

The smoking experience is heavenly. I would name dozens of nice conjugations to this superb mixture, whose colour the time has melted into a deep brown and black colours. The smoke is extremely balanced, spiced, biscuity, naturally sweet. No way to have the bowl hot, indeed!

Lucky I am that enough is remaining, I keep me enjoyed as one does with vintage liquors.

A heaven of stars to Aperitif.

BBlevins Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BBlevins (102)

One of the best Dunhill labeled tobaccos I've smoked. Smooth and delicious, the orientals in this blend are second to none. Unfortunately, Aperitif is a thing of the past like so many good blends nowadays. It will be missed.

Than Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Than (14)
Medium Very Mild Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

This is the first time I've cracked a Dunhill tin and sampled the wares. This is nice stuff! A full blend that had all of its components working in complete accord, nothing was more overpowering than anything else. "Aperitif" is a term used for something that is a palatte cleanser/ appetizer. This blend did get my appetite up, for more Aperitif.

SirLoirn Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SirLoirn (126)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable to Strong

Tin: Dull brown to black, 50:50, slight mold, no bright blonde at all, though still a familiar Dunhill complexion and aroma. This is a Murray tin, pre-2004, based on the shape of the bottom of the tin, being almost flat. Orlik uses a bubbled edge around the bottom perimeter, allowing the tins to be stacked more readily. Orlik took over production in 2004. Dunhill migrated completed out of tobacco merchanting a few years ago. The Dunhill exit started in 1995 when Murray became the licensed blender for the Dunhill name brand.

Lighting: Burns all the way to the bottom with one match.

Taste & Aroma: Smooth, cool, dry, biteless, not as flavorful as some corresponding GL Pease blends. Supposedly the purpose of the Cavendish is to buffer and smooth out any harshness or rough edges of the other components. It must, because the Latakia is the main, smoky element, though moderate in effect, or is it the Turkish; it's too bland to discern. Apertif is not sweet. I just finished a tin of McClelland's Christmas Cheer 2001. Now that's a sweet tobacco.

Nicotine: medium to moderately strong, and definite.

Room Note: moderate English, not long-lasting.

Overall: A standard moderate English, with Latakia, or is it Turkish, the feature? 3.5 stars for this Murray vintage.

BriarChef Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BriarChef (100)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This used to be a great mixture that lived up to its billing as a before dinner treat. This last version is more like before dinner peat...as in peat moss, and gives Turkish tobacco a bad name. Tin aroma over promises and under delivers what should, and used to be a nice light smoke for late afternoon.

Better as a memory.

Schwetty Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Schwetty (15)
Medium Mild Mild Pleasant

This is the only Dunhill blend that I really liked with the possible exception of Early Morning Pipe. Aperitif is the only Dunhill selection that I have purchased in quantity. This would be a nice choice for those who are moving from aromatics to english blends.

The strength is in the medium range, when if smoked too fast will give a bit of a nicotine kick. This is obviously a high quality leaf. The taste is wonderful, with hints of spices such as clove, cinnamon, and allspice. The room note is very pleasing, and has drawn positive comments from my wife. It lights easily, and burns relatively cool. The moisture from the tin is perfect, and requires no drying.

It is a shame that this blend has been discontinued shortly after I have discovered it. Probably because it is in between the aromatic and english spectrum that few of us enjoy. I have several tins that I bought to cellar for future enjoyment. This is not a blend that I smoke daily, but save for an occasional treat. Buy some if you can find it! You wont be dissapointed.

tennessee texan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tennessee texan (21)
Medium Very Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

A tasty English blend. Reminds me somewhat of MM965, which I also like. Burns a bit hot if not smoked properly, but an all round good smoke.

Laudante Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Laudante (29)
Medium None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

What a bloody elegant piece of junk!

Tin: Beautiful.

Marketing: Great.

Brand: Famous, classical, overrated nowadays.

Tin aroma: Fraudulent promise that this is good weed.

Real contents: Nasty ribbons from the vegetable kingdom.

Flavour: Harsh, boring, bitter, harsh, boring, bitter (at least it is consistent as you can see)

Note: this review applies only to the Orlik version. The Murray one must have been better, not to say the original Dunhill´s. What would have become of old Alfred´s liver nowadays?

Philo Beddoe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Philo Beddoe (140)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

Odd, I was unsure of what to expect when I opened the tin, but not the sweet aroma Apertif produced. The Dunhill blends I have tried have usually been quite proper, as far as English tobaccos are concerned, this is a definate sweet change of pace.

Upon lighting, I tasted baking spices, perhaps allspice, cinnamon or clover. Such a strange taste, I was put off at once. I continued through half a bowl and that was all I could stand, so I put the tin away for several days, thinking that my taste buds were being affected by outside influences. When I tried another bowl the taste was the same, baking spices, I will not return to Apertif, but it was an interesting blend.

Not awful, but not what I would expect from Dunhill.

Zone Smoke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Zone Smoke (199)

Undoubtedly the best of the Dunhill line of tobaccos in my opinion. Mild enough for an all day smoke, yet full of smokey, delicious flavor that is so satisfying. I am referring to the version tinned by Murray's. The Orlik version may or may not differ in quality. Four stars for this magnificent smoking tobacco.

UPDATE

Dunhill has ceased production of this blend along with Elizabethan Mixture and Three Year Matured Virginia. I highly recommend stocking up on this blend as it will be sorely missed.

JazzSmoke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JazzSmoke (37)
Medium None Detected Full Tolerable to Strong

I have three tins of the Murray's version and just finished the first one. I LOVE this tobacco. It's dark, smoky, a little sweet and burns very cool. It hasn't scorched my tongue like so many blend do, and it must be all the dark tobaccos which cool the smoke down.

I have not tried the Orlick version (but will open one soon) yet and I hope that it's not been ruined, because this is a great English/Balkan blend.

Update: 2007

Oh...I've tried the Orlick blend and it's lighter and sweeter. Good tobacco, very Danish. Not English, though. It's far away from the UK version, it looks different and smells different in the tin. Well. I'll never buy this one again. We have enough fake classic old English blends and I don't buy them any more.

Maimonides Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Maimonides (70)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild Pleasant

CITRUS,SOUR,SWEET

A mild English. Dry, cool- sweet and sour if you are attentive. Weak leathery/citrus..Dunhill is quality. Early Morning Pipe I suggest over this to the new to 'English' folk.

Mitland Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mitland (7)
Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Medium Tolerable

This companion to Dunhill's EMP only deepens the flavors of what is a rather ordinary smoke. Darker colors, fuller flavors of burnt marshmello, campfire and now a fully cigarish overtone from top to bottom. No more or less heavy a nicotine hit than EMP. I find this bitter, acrid and filled with leather flavors. Not at all my cup o coffee.

Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable

This is a fine, dry and cool smoke. The tin aroma is pungent, it smells of fermented fruit. This is a visually attractive mix of mostly dark, short cut leaf. Packing and lighting is a simple, one match affair in my IMP Meer bent pickaxe; puffing gently allows all the components to be savored individually. This starts out mild in flavor but builds nicely towards the middle of the bowl, neither sweet nor bitter; smooth is a good description of what I taste. Latakia, VAs (conditioned) and Orientals; I am happy to have this in my cellar for an occasional change of pace. 7 out of 10 stars.

tonyg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tonyg (103)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable

Forty-seven years ago, as a college freshman, I was introduced to Dunhill blends. I smoked them on those rare occassions when I could afford the dollar to buy a two ounce tin. I continued to smoke Aperitif and virtually every other Dunhill tobacco more and more as my budget would allow. Of all the blenders in those days, Dunhill was peerless. Whenever I was in New York City, I would make it a point to stop at the Dunhill store at Rockefeller Center and pick up a few tins of the exclusive tobaccos blended there. There wasn't one blend that I didn't like although I did have my favorites.

Well, those days are long gone. Even the store is long gone.

The quality of the Dunhill blends have deminished over the years. Just a few years ago, one could pick up a decent tin but now their (they're really not Dunhill's) tobaccos bear only the slightest resemblance to what once was. The resemblance is superficial at best. The current blend does not live up to the standards found in today's finer tobaccos.

Do yourself a favor and skip this one, unless of course, you can find and afford a vintage tin.

D'Jullius Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
D'Jullius (19)
Mild Extremely Mild Very Mild Pleasant

strong, leathery. like almost every other dunhill.

afi6to8 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
afi6to8 (4)

The aroma of this weed was pleasant, though not really notable among other english blends I have smoked. It lit easily, and required no relights. The first half of the bowl was rather sharp, but it toned down to a very nice mellow flavor in the end stretch. It burned cool throughout its entire duration, and gave no tongue bite. Overall I thought it was an enjoyable smoke, but nothing to write home about. For a smoke right before or after a good rich meal, I think Dunhill's Nightcap actually provides a more robust, and better suited flavor. Two stars.

Medium None Detected Medium Tolerable to Strong

More interesting than Durbar, tasty Latakia. Three and one-half stars.

Wolfpaw Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Wolfpaw (37)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Tolerable

I've admitted elsewhere that I'm partial to the Dunhill mixtures in general. I recently tried The Aperitif for the first time, and it was pretty much "love at first pipe." Its tin aroma is the typically English full, smoky scent (which I like). The tobacco is of the customary Dunhill quality and not excessively moist. It burns smoothly and requires few relights, and the room aroma is not unpleasant. The Aperitif's flavor reminds me a bit of Early Morning Pipe, but it's stronger and the flavor is fuller and more complex, and a bit spicier too. The Aperitif has become a particular favorite, though contrarian that I am, I prefer it after dinner or for my last pipe of the day. I recently heard a rumor that The Aperitif won't be available in the U.S. much longer; I sincerely hope that's not true. If you enjoy a good complex English blend, this one's definitely worth a try. Laying in a supply of a few extra tins might not be a bad idea too.

emmbee Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
emmbee (174)

like most dunhill blends, this is a well-crafted, dependable blend that should be in the collection of every british blend afficionado. though a bit strong, the latakia lover will find that this can be smoked throughout the day without suffering tongue bite or boredom. i love the spicy notes and the pretty blend of dark and yellow tobaccos in the tin. the room note is actually more pleasant than the tin note, which is not always the case with some blends. after smoking, the aroma dissipates quickly, leaving non-smokers unoffended. i even enjoy the art deco tin art, replete with suave lettering and ubiquitous waiter standing nearby with drinks in hand; a bit of haughty fun. aperitif has more kick than standard medium and royal yacht. this is probably my favorite daytime tobacco, and the happy medium between durbar and nightcap. i frequently mix this with a little elizabethan to give the virginias and perique of that blend more finish and spice. those who enjoy liz but find her a bit on the bland side might want to consider adding some aperitif to the mix. it's sort of like a splash of dry vermouth to gin. overall, this is a staple among tinned tobaccos that i hope will always be around for us smokers to enjoy.

Esoxhunter Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Esoxhunter (60)

September 2004

I like really this blend, although anyone doing a blind taste test could tell you right out of the box that this is a Dunhill English mixture. It has a very pleasant pure tobacco sweetness, undetectable in Nightcap or Durbar, that works really well with the latakias and orientals. I couldn't quite identify the sweet flavor, and I knew that I couldn't detect any burley in the blend, so I assumed it wasn't from the cavendish. Then I read Eulenburg's review, and things became clear: this blend uses English Cavendish, which Eulenburg teaches is manufactured with Virginia leaf and not Burley (thank God, from my perspective).

This may be my favorite Dunhill English blend, at least on a par with 965 and Durbar. It get three stars from me, and not four, only because I prefer the more multi-dimensional Pease blends.

CaptnDan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CaptnDan (242)

Aperitif is a nicely balanced blend, though is you are of a mind that Latakia and Cavendish should never meet, you won?t like it. In fact, I would say that if you don?t like 965, you aren?t going to like this one either.

As you would expect from Dunhill, the quality of the leaf is very good, and the cut and flavor is consistent throughout the tin. It can become harsh if you get a bit overanxious, especially at the ?tinned? moisture level. Some drying is a fine idea.

I could, and I have, smoked this throughout the day. I tend not to address nicotine content, as I rarely find anything that I actually consider strong in that way. It has a moderately full flavor, predominantly Turkish with Cavendish and Latakia undertones as a rule, though the Latakia does assert from time to time. It?s a dry smoke, in respect to both the pipe and the taste.

If you like your smoke a bit on the Oriental/Turkish side, this could be for you. If you?re looking for a Latakia powerhouse, such as GLP Raven?s Wing, you?ll find this one a bit too light.

Medium None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

This Dunhill blend is not available in Italy, and it's a shame. It's a lighter cousin to My Mixture 965 and London Mixture, but sufficiently different to justify its existance. It also bears some similarities to Durbar (the oriental tones are rather pronounced), but I find it much more pleasant, as Durbar can be exceedingly spicy and with a cigar-like tone that I don't like very much. Aperitif has a delicious bitterness/spicyness/sweetness that is a bit dominant over the Latakia, but not too much: it is a very dry (and with dry I mean like in wine) tasting smoke, rather tickling to the tongue, with an almost metallic note. The Virginias sweetness is more subdued than in other Dunhill english mixtures, and the result is a smoke that is perfect before dinner (as the name suggests), but also after. I still prefer London Mixture, which is fuller, rounder and more complex, but I love this one too enormously, particularly when smoked in the right pipe (in my case, a large bent group 6 shell Dunhill). I'd almost say that this mixture has some Balkan overtones, which is great. A different english mixture than, let's say, GLPease offerings: less subdued, thicker, more in-your-face (not overwhelming, mind) and very satisfying. Packing and burning qualities are similar to Dunhill's other EMs: great. Only shame of this tobacco is that I finished my first tin in a matter of days! It is also one of the Dunhill blends that has suffered very little from their recent decline!

2014 Update: Alas, in the most recent incarnation, it HAS suffered. The new version is boring. Smokable, yes, but with the same undistinguished cardboardiness and dirty taste of all the other "2014 version" Dunhill latakia blends. Nothing of the pronounced Latakia and chewy but not heavy mouthfeel of the original, nothing of the same crisp taste. This new version could almost be completely interchangeable with London Mixture or Standard Mixture.

The rating is 3 stars because the original version was 4 stars and the new one 2 stars...

Joe Patterson Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Joe Patterson (48)
Medium Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable to Strong

This is my third venture into Dunhill tobacco land. I must say, all I've tasted so far, this included strikes me with the same characteristics: refined leaves, subtle flavor, lightly sweet, latakia laden, and needs to be dried a bit before smoking. This is a "nice" blend. It won't bite, unless puffed to excess. I found that the flavor right out of the tin is a bit harsh and it does need a bit of drying time. The sweetness is at the lower levels, in that one can taste the Va/Oriental sweetness, but the smoky latakia is the dominant player. I have smoked this in several pipes, I will buy more to cellar, but I've really gotta be in the mood for something light and doing something that allows me to enjoy this slowly. If you want to read a book, sip some coffee (or strong tea) and sit on the porch relaxing in the morning, then this is for you. Else, you may go for something with a bit more flavor and/or a bit more strength.

DeltaSnake Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DeltaSnake (31)

I've found this to be one of Dunhill's more average blends, although mainly due to my preference for the stronger stuff. When smoked carefully (not to avoid bite, this stuff burns pretty well), it does have a character of it's own, a bit of spice does come out and one could envision it as a good prelude to a fine meal. Better yet, something that saves the experience of a mediocre meal perhaps. It has a different enough flavor, and a mild-medium character that will appeal to more than a few, and I could hardly say it would be a bad choice. Personally, Balkan Sobranie would have been my choice in this range, but you can't do too wrong here.

Very Strong Extra Strong Extra Full Extra Strong

If Durbar is an alternative to 965, this would be something the London Mix smoker might enjoy. It's very polite in its manner and very smooth, with hints of spicyness and character appearing here and there... kind of like the ideal waiter, really. This would make a good all-day smoke, and I'd also recommend it to anyone curious to try English blends, especially to a new pipe smoker.

preppypipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
preppypipe (57)
Medium to Strong Medium Full Very Strong

Let me first say that I've smoked two tins of this in my ten years of pipe smoking.I'm 3/4 way through the second as I write this.That said It's quite hard to describe.The taste is mild while the room aroma is as pungent as you can imagine.I would hazard to say that smomeone wishing to change from aromatics to english's would appreciate this blend.I find that it's most enjoyed in the evening as is Nightcap and anything else with latakia.This is a nice blend to smoke when everything else starts to taste the same.And for that I recommend it to you.....prppypipe

Pipeline Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipeline (206)

The Turkish tobacco in this blend dominates, but not to the point of obscuring the other ingredients. If forward Turkish/Oriental tobacco floats your boat, then launch your pipe-craft into this sea.

Puffing slowly and tamping properly keeps this from getting too hot and brings out the cavendish and virginias. The cavendish reminds me of 965, sort of like burnt marshmallow.

The latakia plays a solid supporting role, but not center stage. Aperitif seems to have more latakia than Early Morning Pipe or Standard Mixture Mild.

This fills a niche between Dunhill's heavier English blends (London, 965, Nightcap) and the lighter blends noted above.

I prefer Dorisco, Squadron Leader, My Own Blend 7000, and Brebbia's Preludio in the medium body category. Though, one could do much worse than Aperitif and have difficulty doing much better.

WxGuy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
WxGuy (95)
Medium to Strong Very Mild Full Tolerable

I would agree with above reviewers that this kind of sits between EMP and Nightcap, even though it has the cavendish in common with 695. However, to me it has more oriental influence than these other two. I broke out some Aperitif for the first time in a while last night, for consumption while clearing the snow off my deck.

The last time I had smoked Aperitif was about 6 months ago (also while clearing snow, for some weird reason) and I found the orientals to be overdone in this blend, to the point of being harsh and one-dimensional. I do not know whether it was the additional aging or what (12 months vs. 18 months), but this bowl seemed more "in tune". The orientals are still in first chair, but the blend as a whole smoked a lot sweeter, with a better flavor spectrum.

I the interests of objective science, I tried another bowl of Aperitif in a different pipe (a meerschaum) this morning when I could devote full attention to the blend. Still nice and sweet. (Is the the cavendish coming through? I missed it before...). Builds in strength to a nice latakia crescendo towards the end. Bummer, end of bowl.

This has moved up a notch or two in my Dunhill's ladder and I will visit the tin a bit more often. There are just so many good Balkan/Scottish blends out there though...

JohnnyFlake Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JohnnyFlake (17)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable

(October, 2003) The aroma of this when first opening a tin is a real tease. I pick up a distinct semi-sweetness but there is also pungent, musty & smokey odors in the mix. This is a thin ribbon cut tobacco with equal amount of brown, tan and black in the mixture. Moisture content is near perfect but I still allow a fresh tin to air out and dry for a few hours before smoking. This tobaccy packs easily and fires up easily as well. Upon firing up this stuff, you are immediately rewarded with a burst of complexity. The flavor profile is that of Orientals, Latakia and Cavandish. I do not pick up on the Virginias but most certainly they are playing a supportive role. This is really hard to define and as a result, I find this blend very interesting! My thinking is that the Cavandish and Latakia tend to dominate the first 2/3 of the bowl, with the Turkish/Orientals and Virginias laying back. However, in the final third, the Turkish/Orientals come forward and take the leading role, with the Cavandish & Latakia second and the Virginas somewhere in the back. The flavor profile in the final third becomes very pungent, musty, spicy and semi-sweet, all at the same time, and there is a more than average amount of nicotine present as well. This is a delicious, complex tobacco and I really love it. In my opinon this blend needs to smoked at a slightly faster pace than normal to bring out it flavors. If smoked too slowly, the Cavandish seems to dominate. 5 out of 5 Flakes - Highly Recommended!!!

Gae Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Gae (46)
Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

16th-Sep-2003. Aperitif,I can enjoy anytime of day.Not overpowering! To me,it's abit like Dunhill's 965-without the spice.All the flavour's come out to play,& is a an enjoyable smoke.I also love Dunhill's 965 & Night Cap.I'm not that keen,at all about Early Morning Pipe.I find Aperitif far more interesting.It smoke's nice & dry,& doesn't bite. I'll go along with all the positive's that have been said,before me.81/2 out of 10.

BrittPark Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BrittPark (41)

Being a great fan of Early Morning Pipe and Nightcap my next foray into Dunhill English blends has been Aperitif. I find it a beautiful midway point between EMP and Nightcap. Medium in strength with a pleasing tin aroma and a gorgeously smooth mildy smoky taste. The Cavendish and Virginias add a pleasing sweetness that enhances the Latakia rather than getting in the way. Some people believe there's a flavoring apparently and perhaps there is from the Cavendish but it blends right in wonderfully. I get the impression more of sweet Virginias than of cased Cavendish. The smoke is very cool down to the bottom of the bowl. I love Frog Morton, but Aperitif is a whole different class. First class all around.

RhubarbXIV Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
RhubarbXIV (1)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Tolerable to Strong

As a beginning pipe smoker and college student, I purchased a tin of this on a whim as a break from my regular tobacconist-mixed blends, and I must say I was impressed. Opening the tin, a rich aroma emanated from the tobacco with hints of smoke, peat and a certain transient sweetnes. As somewhat of a novice to many kinds of tobacco, it seems more fit to compare this to Laphroaig scotch in heady strength.

This particular blend packs extremely well, burns surprisingly evenly, and leaves a marvellous white fluffy ash as if to say "job well done". The taste is full and rich with an uncommon smoothness very well complemented by the pipe's burning aroma making for a most pleasurable experience from start to finish.

Danno Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Danno (87)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Aperitif is one of those tobaccos whose characteristics give rise to a strong and vocal divide amongst those who partake of it. I began smoking Aperitif when aromatics lost their lustre. Being that it was the first Dunhill product I'd ever smoked, I was struck by the richness of the tobacco, the pungency of the orientals when the tin was first opened. Having a bit more experience with piping now I find the blend to be decent, not stellar, but workable. The latakia is too muted, the orientals too bright and tongue bite lurks for the heavy puffer. And yet, the nicotine level runs high and when given some respect, Aperitif can satisfy. As well, I find the room note interesting.

Medium Extremely Mild Very Full Strong

This is one tricky smoke! When I first opened up the tin I was greeted with a low key odor that was easily identifiable as latakia. More apparent as I continued to sniff, was the sweet smell of slightly cased cavendish. Very Interesting! Unlike other cavedish/latakia hybrids that I have sampled this one was definitely subtle and imbued with a wonderful complexity. Upon first lighting I was immediately aware of the sweetness of the cavendish. This is where it gets hard to describe. The first thing most people think of when they hear "the sweet smell of cavendish" is an overwhelming dose of casing. This is not the case at all(pun intended). This cavendish has a very natural sweetness to it not unlike the taste you get sometimes from a straight virginia, only magnified a bit. As the bowl progressed there were other surprises in store. Although the latakia was very subtle throughout- it remained a positive presence and made a very welcome contrast to the sweetness mentioned earlier. About 2/3rds of the bowl in, a taste emerged that sent this blend right into the amazing category- turkish tobacco! The addition of this has somehow turned this sweet, smoky experience into something truly unique and added the essence of a fine havanna to the mix! Again-keep in mind that none of these flavors were ever anything but subtle! Although this tobbaco provided a wonderful experience I would not want to smoke it everyday for fear of becoming to familiar with it. For the same reason I would not recommend it to a new smoker as the complexities will probably be lost on them. Truly a unique smoke- everyone should try this once! P.S.- I made no friends with the room aroma!

Daniel Morlan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Daniel Morlan (50)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

This is good stuff. I love the Balkan Sobranie, and this had a hint of the Latakia in it that I love so much, but I did want a little bit more. I think I'm going to go for the durbar next. I was surprised to learn that this actually had some cavendish in it.

I probably packed it a bit too tight, as I had to relight the hell out of it, but it's satisfying, doesn't have quite the kick that most of the GL Peases have, but it has that nice, smoky, oriental and latakia taste that I've come to enjoy immensely.

I couldn't shut the tin once I opened it, so she's resting in a ziplock bag right now, but it's long lasting, perhaps a tiny bit wet, but a good, mild Latakia/english blend. For me, it left me wanting a bit more, and that's probably where Durbar will fit the bill. That will be my next purchase.

This was high-quality stuff, though. Smokey, a little sweet, full-bodied, and smooth all the way. I did have to re-light it quite a bit, and it smoked REALLY wet towards the end. An hour and a half in a small meerschaum should show that I demonstrated SOME patience with it.

Overall, a VERY good tobacco, and one that I will have again, to be sure.

howie Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
howie (46)
Very Strong None Detected Full Strong

This was quite tasty when first opened, but that has not been the recent experience. The taste, while very full, lacks character and feels more like something to chew on than something to enjoy. The nicotine content is surprisingly high and is not pleasant.

Early flavor was fairly nutty, but this has been replaced by ash. I?m just not pleased with this right now. 4/02

lustra Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
lustra (170)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Tolerable to Strong

Aperitif is a quality Dunhill smoke--well-cut, good-quality tobaccos that are well-blended and consistent. It packs, lights, and burns well. Like most Dunhill English blends, it smokes nice and cool even when you aren't paying any attention to your technique. It has a nutty, slightly sweet flavor. It produces a good volume of smoke, always a plus in my book, if not my wife's, and burns to a fine white ash. This is a fairly strong tobacco, and not one to smoke on an empty stomach. If you push it, it can turn bitter, and so for me is not quite the top-tier smoke that, say, Dunhill London Mixture is.

father_brian Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
father_brian (12)
Very Strong Very Mild Very Full Tolerable

I really did not like this particular blend too much. I did not find it very appealing. It has a lot of kick, but comparably little taste. Compared to the other Dunhill blends, Aperitif strikes me as a "Mercury": a Ford that tries too hard to be a Lincoln. Buy Durbar instead.

Albion1956 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Albion1956 (41)
Very Strong None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

THe before dinner smoke? Yes, I have tried it then, and before. This blend was recently released to the states with several others. My participation in the hobby doesn't go back far enough to remember the early blend, but this current production makes itself known. The Virginias, Cavendish, and Latakia ( Cyprian I think) are a well balanced attack to senses. Virginian's play a well defined support system, to the mixing's of the Latakia / Cavendish duo overpowering the senses when the first charring light is struck, with a predominant Turkish essence.It is the pair from the middle east who bring with them the spices from land afar. These smells permiate the air, along with their Virginian native friend to create a smell that is tolerable, but robust. No complaints from SWMBO, not even about the Turkish menance, who mixes well with the other parties, while contemplating the eventual dominance. Yes, Turkish is well pronounced but not terribly overpowering, and it keeps the lead over the Latakia. Dark tobacco, interwoven Virginia ribbon with strands of dark Latakia and the golden hue of Turkish, melded into the mix. The room is filled with a strange aroma, not bad, but undiscernable, a natural smell, would best descibe it. Second light and the tobacco burns slow and cool, just the periodic tamp, and away you go. Burns to a dark ash, with little or no dottle.This is a tobacco to start up the palate, or to keep the palate invigorated, your choice. A great blend!

Paul Tatum Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Paul Tatum (86)
Medium Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

A tasty tobacco for sure . I've never had the "old" version of this , but I can say that I like the current version very much . It is a nice unique addition to my current latakia tobacco stock . It stands out as being a blend that satisfies my latakia urges while also offering something different .

Colonel Panic Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Colonel Panic (42)

This is a nice English mixture that sits squarely between Early Morning Pipe and Nightcap in strength and 'flavor density'. It's a great introduction to English blends for someone who wants to learn what a good subtle Latakia blend can be like. It's cut finely enough to pack well but still burn cooly and is very well-behaved, not being too much or too little of anything - a perfect middle-of-the-road English. The Orientals show their stuff well, giving a great nutty-sweet overtone to balance the smokiness and light sweetness of the Latakias and Virginia base.

I often smoke this on my back porch while barbecueing dinner when weather permits, and I also prefer it to EMP when I want a Latakia hit in the morning as it's a little more interesting without being overwhelming.