Old Fredder’s Broken Flake. Fred, affectionately called “Old Fredder“ by his friends, counts Virginia/Perique Flakes among his greatest passions. Obviously, Old Fredder‘s Broken Flake is tailor-made for him. A natural, wonderfully balanced Virginia/Perique Broken Flake that packs a punch, too. The rather tart Red Virginia grades harmonize beautifully with the Louisiana Perique I chose for this blend. The result is an unusually strong-flavored tobacco, complex in taste and off the mainstream. A blend that leaves no room for boredom. Just the right thing for Old Fredder, and for all smokers who like it strong-flavored and natural.

BrandHU Tobacco
Blended ByHans Wiedemann
Blend TypeVirginia/Perique
ContentsPerique, Virginia
Packaging100gr tin
Strength
Medium, Medium to Strong
Taste
Pleasant to Tolerable, Tolerable

3.8
Medium Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

A medium bodied VaPer with light and red Virginias that offers entrancingly inherent tangy citrus and grass with a hint of straw. The perique is mildly spicy with a dried fruit taste that really makes this flake burst with savory goodness. There'll be a few instances where the perique steps up here and there with the spice, but basically, this product is consistent in flavor from first puff to last. No harshness, no dull spots, burns well and dry, and leaves a pleasant after taste and room note. It can be an all day smoke if you wish, and will appeal to experienced VaPer smokers as well as aromatic smokers. It's not an aromatic by any means, but the sweetness might hook an aro smoker before he realizes what happened to him.

I have smoked several bowls of this blend, but on the first bowl,, upon lighting up I thought I was in for a ho hum VaPer that was not a standout. But then, when I hit the halfway mark of my bowl of it, wham! A huge flavor burst that was terrific in flavor and smelled wonderful to me. This one builds in strength all the way down and just is delicious to smoke. One of the best VaPers I have ever smoked! But it's not like any Vaper I have ever smoked either. It stands on it's own.

It is a broken flake of Virginia and perique, smelling hay like with a zing in the bag, came at just the right moisture level, and packed very easy in the bowl. It is mostly light khaki to light brown in color and really does not have the dark browns of most VaPer blends. Upon lighting, it is very mild and one just tastes the Va notes in it. But when it strengthens, the perique comes out in force but no overwelming, and it smokes at just the right mix of Va and Perique. It works,one does not dominate the other but work in unison to provide a rich creamy smoke that leaves you wanting to refill and smoke it again. Has a medium level of nicotine, won't make you head spin but it satisfies. It burns very evenly down the boel, stays lit, and leaves a light gray ash in the bottom with little dottle. I really am impressed with the quality of this tobacco and I will order several punds of it for my cellar. It is for sure highly recommended for all VaPer lovers!

p120d16y Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
p120d16y (4)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Full Very Pleasant

This is a phenomenal VaPer! I've received a bunch of HU samples from a friend in Germany, and needless to say, Hans is quickly becoming one of my favorite blenders. This one steps outside of the traditional hay and bread like VaPer flavor you'll be accustomed to if you like VaPers. The red Virginia adds a zing to it and at least in my opinion, which is almost identical to JimInks, the perique really comes back and forth poking it's flavor in and out and giving it a good strength. This is a 10/10 blend for me. My favorite VaPer tobacco is Orlik Golden Sliced and it's very interesting to contrast how VaPers can taste so drastically different. This broken flake really marries the flavors together.

Pipe Used: various briars

Age When Smoked: Not sure, fairly moist so i'd guess pretty fresh.

Purchased From: gifted sample

Similar Blends: This is pretty unique to me and I would not liken it to any other VaPers..

Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable

This is a lighter bodied Va than I typically prefer, but like all HU products, it is a very good one. The Vas have that typical hay like citrus sweetness that you would expect from these lighter vas and the perique is but a whisper IMO.

I recommend trying this as I do any HU tobaccos you can get your hand on, but if you have a choice and prefer a heavier bodied vaper such as I do, grab some Director's choice. Personally, I would be just as happy with some LNF or Old Gowrie to fill this niche for myself, but have friends are absolutely infatuated with this one.

It is in deference to HU and to them as this blend and its ilk are directly in their wheelhouse that I put a third star on my review. I would mark it as a two star to my tastes.

Similar Blends: PS LNF, Old Gowrie.

Käpt`n Cook Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Käpt`n Cook (15)
Medium to Strong Very Mild Medium Tolerable

At Lohmar Pipeshow, the start of HU-Tobacco, I get a few samples from Hans. The first sample I tried was Old Fredder`s Broken Flake. It was really a good decision, so I was able to buy a few tins of this blend. The Old Fredder Broken Flake is an oldfashioned really traditionell blend. Nothing new. Virginia,Perique no difference to a lot of blends of this genre. The big difference to other VA/Perique blends is the detail. Old Fredder is perfect ballanced - a good portion Perique but not to much to overwhelm the sweetness of the Virginia.But much enough to give this blend a phantastic fruity and subtle note. Nothing tastes chemical or unnaturell. The Tobacco burns very well and has enough power for a satisfying smoke. The Old Fredder`s Broken Flake is not made for beginners. I think this blend is made for lovers of the genre and smokers who like different notes of taste and for those who wants a smoke to concentrate for. I´m a little bit shamed, but I must give this HU-Blend 4 stars again - Highly recommend !!

Pipeliner Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipeliner (12)
Medium to Strong Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

The Old Fredder's Broken Flake is a golden to medium brown Broken Flake. The smell of fresh Hay with notes of fruity acidity Perique. The Tobacco is easy to smoke. Already after the first few turns it becomes clear that this tobacco is not a lightweight. The taste is subtly sweet with slightly fruity notes of Perique. The flavor profile is very interesting and diverse, so that the Old Fredder is never boring. In the meantime the Old Fredder is one of my favorite tobaccos. Two thumbs up and free ride for HU-Tobacco