Old Fredder’s Broken Flake. Fred, affectionately called “Old Fredder“ by his friends, counts Virginia/Perique Flakes among his greatest passions. Obviously, Old Fredder‘s Broken Flake is tailor-made for him. A natural, wonderfully balanced Virginia/Perique Broken Flake that packs a punch, too. The rather tart Red Virginia grades harmonize beautifully with the Louisiana Perique I chose for this blend. The result is an unusually strong-flavored tobacco, complex in taste and off the mainstream. A blend that leaves no room for boredom. Just the right thing for Old Fredder, and for all smokers who like it strong-flavored and natural.

BrandHU Tobacco
Strength
None Detected, Very Mild, Medium
Taste
Pleasant, Pleasant to Tolerable, Tolerable

I have smoked several bowls of this blend, but on the first bowl,, upon lighting up I thought I was in for a ho hum VaPer that was not a standout. But then, when I hit the halfway mark of my bowl of it, wham! A huge flavor burst that was terrific in flavor and smelled wonderful to me. This one builds in strength all the way down and just is delicious to smoke. One of the best VaPers I have ever smoked! But it's not like any Vaper I have ever smoked either. It stands on it's own.

It is a broken flake of Virginia and perique, smelling hay like with a zing in the bag, came at just the right moisture level, and packed very easy in the bowl. It is mostly light khaki to light brown in color and really does not have the dark browns of most VaPer blends. Upon lighting, it is very mild and one just tastes the Va notes in it. But when it strengthens, the perique comes out in force but no overwelming, and it smokes at just the right mix of Va and Perique. It works,one does not dominate the other but work in unison to provide a rich creamy smoke that leaves you wanting to refill and smoke it again. Has a medium level of nicotine, won't make you head spin but it satisfies. It burns very evenly down the boel, stays lit, and leaves a light gray ash in the bottom with little dottle. I really am impressed with the quality of this tobacco and I will order several punds of it for my cellar. It is for sure highly recommended for all VaPer lovers!

Käpt`n Cook Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Käpt`n Cook (15)
Medium to Strong Very Mild Medium Tolerable

At Lohmar Pipeshow, the start of HU-Tobacco, I get a few samples from Hans. The first sample I tried was Old Fredder`s Broken Flake. It was really a good decision, so I was able to buy a few tins of this blend. The Old Fredder Broken Flake is an oldfashioned really traditionell blend. Nothing new. Virginia,Perique no difference to a lot of blends of this genre. The big difference to other VA/Perique blends is the detail. Old Fredder is perfect ballanced - a good portion Perique but not to much to overwhelm the sweetness of the Virginia.But much enough to give this blend a phantastic fruity and subtle note. Nothing tastes chemical or unnaturell. The Tobacco burns very well and has enough power for a satisfying smoke. The Old Fredder`s Broken Flake is not made for beginners. I think this blend is made for lovers of the genre and smokers who like different notes of taste and for those who wants a smoke to concentrate for. I´m a little bit shamed, but I must give this HU-Blend 4 stars again - Highly recommend !!

Pipeliner Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipeliner (12)
Medium to Strong Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

The Old Fredder's Broken Flake is a golden to medium brown Broken Flake. The smell of fresh Hay with notes of fruity acidity Perique. The Tobacco is easy to smoke. Already after the first few turns it becomes clear that this tobacco is not a lightweight. The taste is subtly sweet with slightly fruity notes of Perique. The flavor profile is very interesting and diverse, so that the Old Fredder is never boring. In the meantime the Old Fredder is one of my favorite tobaccos. Two thumbs up and free ride for HU-Tobacco