A light aromatic blend with hints of vanilla and chocolate

Notes: This comes from James and Sons Tobacconists in Saratoga Springs NY (formally a branch location of Park Lane Tobacconist) Please disregard brand selected above.

BrandJames and Sons Tobacconists
ContentsBurley, Virginia, Black Cavendish
D.A.M. Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
D.A.M. (8)
Mild Medium Medium Pleasant

Let me start by saying I am not an aromatic smoker. James and Sons is a great shop, I bought my first pie here back in 2005 when I spent a summer in Saratoga Springs, and Broadway Special was the recommended in-house blend. At the time, I enjoyed it, and didn't return to Saratoga Springs until this past winter.

While in town on business, I had an hour to kill and strolled into James and Sons. They have a nice shop, and a good selection of cigars, as well as several blends of there own pipe and cigarette tobacco. I purchased an once of Broadway Special and a cheap corn cob to smoke it in. I didn't explore any of their other tobaccos, as I was with a colleague who was waiting.

Once outside, I packed up a bowl of the stuff, and a strong vanilla room note hit both mine and my compatriot's nostrils. He commented on the pleasant aroma, and I could taste the nuttiness of burly, very pronounced. However, the casing quickly took over, and by the middle of the bowl all the pleasure was over. I finished the bowl, and then took out my Savinelli Duca Carlo, packed with one of my preferred English blends.

A few months later, I decided to give it another try. I packed up my Petersen Bulldog, with similar results, this time, I didn't even finish the bowl. I really enjoy the taste of good tobacco, and for me, aromatics or anything with a casing just gets in the way, like putting ketchup on a quality cut of beef, ruining the experience.

If aromatics, particularly Cavendish or Burley-heavy ones, are your thing this might be for you. I'll stick to smoking tobacco that taste like tobacco. Compared to other aromatics I have smoked in recent years this was very nice.

Pipe Used: Petersen Aran 150, corn cob