Pure Tobacco taste with a hint of tar flavor.

BrandPhilip Morris
ContentsBurley
CutShag
Packaging50g bag
CountryUnknown
Strength
Taste
Very Mild, Mild to Medium, Medium to Full
2.0
Prior Wrath Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Prior Wrath (6)

I'd like to start by stating that very few things told here about this weed are completely and utterly misguided. Black cavendish? Get out! Alcohol/Liquor? Get out! Really? Has the person who wrote that dung ever actually tasted this?

Kilta used to be a great tobacco. I bought my first pouch back in 1978 when it was still made by Rettig company. Back then it was a ready rubbed virginia-burley with a tiny touch of latakia and a little bit of that fresh wood tar flavoring all Finns learn to love before their first birthday. After the brand was sold to frenchies the manufacturing was moved away from Pietarsaari, and everything went to hell. The cut got thinner and the whole recipe was altered to match an average rolling tobacco. It still had a bit of that lovely tar flavor to redeem though.

Today I bought a pouch of Kilta, and I must say I'm deeply saddened. The cut has been updated to even finer shag, and there's nothing to make a distinction between nowadays Kilta and Pall Mall rolling tobacco. I'm not even going to put this in my pipe, but I will gift this to a friend who smokes paper.

R.I.P Kilta. You were a dear friend for years, now you are no more. I gave two stars because of its glorious history, but today this can't be considered as a pipe tobacco at all.

Arctic Briarian Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Arctic Briarian (6)
Medium Mild to Medium Very Mild Tolerable

One and a half stars. The cut is almost as thin as cigarette tobacco, so it doesn't come as a surprise that it burns hotter and faster than most pipe tobaccos. At its best Kilta tastes flat but not too unpleasant.

If you find yourself in Finland and you feel the desire to explore finnish bars and their beers, loading your pipe with Kilta will allow you to have a quick, casual smoke outside (you can't smoke inside anyway). But you'd have to lie if you were to boast to all the cigarette smokers that their pathetic cancer sticks couldn't compare to your pipe. Just like them, all you will get is a nicotine hit and probably a bad taste in you mouth - especially if you let it burn too hot. A few times my pipe started to emit very dark and foul fumes and all I could taste was tar.

earl_of_cumberland Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
earl_of_cumberland (5)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium to Full Tolerable

When I went to Finland this summer I just had to fast a local pipe tobacco and Kilta was the only one I found. Otherwise the swedish match brands are the most sold in Finland.

However, the fast of Kilta is not bad... It's an ok taste, a pure and clean tobacco taste. It burns quite hot and fast though and the cut... It's probably the thinest cut I've seen, almost like rolling tobacco, I would have preferred it a bit wider.

* Strength is hitting a medium for me... It's not knocking me flat but its not mild either.

*Taste and flavor is as I said ok. pure tobacco but whit a small hint of tar in the background.

*Room note... Well let's just say that my wife sent me away to sit far away from her so I guess it's not the best room note.

*Recommendation? I'm not really recommending it as a good tobacco, but as a fun smoke to try.