A light, medium-cut mixture; a blend of Virginia, Burley, Kentucky and Oriental tobaccos with a touch of rare scotch whiskey.

BrandDavidoff
Taste

2.4
Malus Rex Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Malus Rex (8)

I returned to pipe smoking after an almost 15 year hiatus. The first time taken up the pipe, it was as I was transitioning from my late teens into my early twenties. As many beginners, I started with heavily treated aromatic blends because that's what the shop keeper had on his counter for a meager college budget. Finding my pipe cumbersome, & the tobaccos harsh within a short time I'd abandoned the briar "for a season."

Years passed & I dug out my old briars after discarding cigarettes. After locating a pipe/cigar shop, I went inside to seek the elusive "perfect tobacco." This time, the shop keeper took the time to explain what an "aromatic" or an "english" tobacco was, and what makes them so very unique from one another. Seeing tinned tobaccos on his shelf I inquired why they were so expensive compared to his bulk offerings. His reply, simply: "You get what you pay for."

I grabbed Davidoff's Scottish Mixture only because I'd heard of Davidoff products & enjoy whiskey. ( I know, such PROFOUND criteria...) THIS was the blend that extended it's hand to me & said, "welcome to pipe smoking...glad you're here." It's characteristics blend between an English and an aromatic. This blend smoked easily, and was quite forgiving as I began to learn packing & lighting techniques. For the first time, I could begin to distinguish Virginas, Orientals, Burleys, etc. This was the first tobacco I'd tried that wasn't tongue bite with a side order of sugar.

Understand, I'm not saying this is perfection. I'm saying it deserves higher regard for being just what it claims to be; a quality product.

bman64 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bman64 (44)
Mild Extremely Mild Very Mild Pleasant

This tin was dusty when purchased, aged 18 months, had proper seal, still a tad dry when opened.

Tin note somewhat Flake Medallion -like: fruitcakeish. Atypical perhaps if Dav, some sizeable stems, woody bits.

Flavoring all but gone post-char, decent base tobaccos, which took several bowls for me to discern. Here I'd hazard a guess that by removing the Turk component, it would make a smokeable VaBur. Burns very hot even at idle, tongue bite not a problem though.

As it is this blend is not flat...exactly, but its monotonous enough to be a one-tin wonder. I'll finish the tin, but won't be revisiting.

Pipe Used: meer, Peterson P-lip, Sav 9mm w/filter

Age When Smoked: 18 months in my cellar...

Purchased From: Local B&M

Similar Blends: Similar to Peterson's Irish Whiskey-albeit not as harsh..

Piepensmöker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Piepensmöker (17)
Very Mild Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

I had high expectations of this Davidoff offering, after I had a few tins of Flake Medaillons, but it disappointed. The flavor might be anything, but Whiskey, but there is a bitter taste undertone, which reminds me of Borkum Riff. Other than that, it burnt fine, tasted like warm air and I was glad, when the tin was gone. Will definitely not buy again.

Tuckers Gpa Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tuckers Gpa (29)
Extremely Mild Very Mild Very Mild Pleasant

This is a light and very faint aromatic. The taste of the scotch disappears as I smoke the bowl, leaving the barest hints of any scots whiskey. My wife thinks the room is sweet and light. I agree. I cant detect much of an aroma even after all day in my truck. While I like this tobacco, I am probably not going to buy this again. There are others with more strength and taste that I prefer. But again, this would be a great light all day smoke.

tleek Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tleek (48)

Update i got to bump this up to four stars It has become a favourite of mine. Perfect light blend when ur feeling something a little sweet and light!

Alot of people are saying they can't detect any taste in this blend and i must say i am so confused. While the blend is mild there is alot of flavor. For the first half of the bowl the majority of flavor i detected was from the scotch topping. There was a backbone of burley and and i may have been able to taste a little oriental but the most noticable favor was the topping. seeing how i usually smoke full english blends i was suprised that i liked this. To me it was rather enjoyable. However the second half of the bowl is what Won me over. The delcious nutty burly began to overtake the taste of the topping and the scotch became more of a complimentary flavor. I actually really liked this blend. I smoked it in a nording signature free hand because a review on here recommend a large bowl. While i hate the majority of aromatics i have smoked this one was honestly quite good.

ifarghaly Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ifarghaly (12)

you know how you fall in love with a women only to realize that its a fling while having a women around that you eventually fall in love with. Well this is what we have here. I fell in love with davidoff royalty only to loose interest in it after a while. while having the Scottish mixture around which i didn't initially like only to find myself reaching for the tin every single day. It is sweet, it is creamy, it spicy, and most of all it is consistent. Though i didn't get much whisky flavor out of it but i got much much more than that. For one it is a forgiving blend, smoke it to hard and it will tell you to slow down. I truly hope people give it another try

renwardhoop Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
renwardhoop (58)
Mild to Medium None Detected Extremely Mild (Flat) Unnoticeable

I've never cared for whisky, particularly Scotch.

But that's ok, this doesn't taste of it !

Actually other than the barest suggestion at lighting up time this tobacco has no taste at all.

This is suprising as Davidoffs do a good tobacco. The Danish is great, and their Blue n' Reds are rather mild but at least have something about them.

The tin aroma almost saves this one, but not quite. I pushed this harder than usual and got no bite. Have to say it burns well all the tasteless way to the bottom of the bowl.

Not a memorable tobacco. Disappointing from Davidoffs.

TEO Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TEO (25)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild Tolerable

Hello everybody.

Don't really know why the hell did I fall again in these kinda aromatized things.

Nothing special to underline here neither bad nor good. I do not sense the oriental as long as I lack kentucky punch. If they are really there they must be hidden quite well. The casing, which I found soapy and overwhelming on opening the tin, disappear troughout the bowl and that's good news. Unfortunately its place is never taken by any other news. Mild in strength and in "soul" I'd say.

I puffed rather slow and it doesn't bite, and this is the only other good thing I found.

I don't feel I'll have to recommend it, nor blame it to death. I only keep asking myself where might be the whiskey they talked about. :)

aviviljoen Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
aviviljoen (18)
Extremely Mild Very Mild Very Mild Pleasant

This is the lightest tobacco I have ever smoked. Let it dry for a few minutes and smoke it in your largest bowl to bring out the best this blend has to offer. The taste is somewhere between Darjeeling tea and walnut, neither of which I care for very much. The room note is walnut.

This tobacco is so light, you can comfortably smoke it at the office. The office is the only place where I would smoke this, because there are better options available for any other situation. This is my least favourite of the Davidoff offerings, and I won't buy it again. If you like a light smoke, Davidoff Danish Mixture is a better choice.

Toddian Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Toddian (5)

The room note for this is fantastic, the taste is nice, but this can give a bite fairly quickly!

jazzmoke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jazzmoke (57)

I have to rate this tobacco higher than the others even though you would expect something that tastes more like tobacco when it is called Scottish. I would call this a Scottish aromatic, I recommend though smoking it while drinking something (coffee, tea etc.) it doesn't taste so good even though it smells nice. I recommend this as it is quality tobacco that I would for sure buy again even though it is not in the daily rotation for me.

Bulldog Jeff Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bulldog Jeff (11)

A very mild smoke. Perhaps timid is the word. Mac Baren's Mixture kicks this ones butt. After smoking a pipe of this, I honestly munched a handful of peanuts to make sure my tastebuds were still there and working. Yep. I taste peanuts. Packed a different pipe full of this stuff and tried again. Not because I liked it so much, but because I had to solve the mystery of the missing flavor. That and I could not believe something from Davidoff would come out so insipid. So much for brand familiarity. I find Mac Baren replacing several other brands lately, and not just because my local tobacco store is heavily laden with Mac Baren offerings.

If Mac Baren Mixture scottish blend is too strong for you, this could be what you're looking for. Packs nice. Smokes a little warm. Don't pack it too tight - you won't get any more flavor out of it that way.

Schatz Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Schatz (2)

This one smells very nice in the tin, sometimes has a sweet and nutty taste which I like, and rome note is good !

But despite my best efforts to puff as slow as possible and find a way to get the best of it, Scottish Mixture bites the tongue and smokes hot. A few weeks later, thing have gotten worse : the topping is now, well, weird, while the smoke is still hot and harsh.

I will not finish the tin, and of course will never buy another tin. This is a disappointement. It seems to work for some people though...

ruffinogold Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ruffinogold (82)

This blend is my least fav. from Davidoff .It's not a bad blend ...it's just that it dosent stand out for me .Was a little warm but not scortching . The whiskey to me was a little sour .... There's so many blends out there and many aren't bad . wouldnt go out of my way to try it again

KahveDelisi Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
KahveDelisi (45)
Mild Mild Mild Tolerable

pipesrevisited summarized well.

edit: tried with meerschaum, smokes cooler, but still not for me

Gilthoniel Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Gilthoniel (25)

My first pipe blend after coming from cigars (that's why I chose Davidoff). A bit cigarette-ish for my tastes, but not bad. Smells lovely in the tin, but doesn't take much of the flavour with it into the smoke. It's growing on me, though.

Pipesrevisited Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipesrevisited (45)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild Pleasant

tinnote too sweet for me, bit harsh on the tongue, gets hot, roomnote quite good, taste mild but a bit boring, won't buy it again and won't finish the tin.

Since I love Davidoff's Magnum cigarettes, Flake Medallions and Royalty pipe tobacco, I had high hopes for the other offerings...

Tee-dub Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tee-dub (48)
Mild Medium Medium Very Pleasant

Agreeable but underwhelming.

I can find little to criticize here. Alas, I can't find much to praise, either.

First, the praise: the aroma, both in the tin and in the fragrant clouds it creates, is very nice indeed.

It is also, however, a bit mild for me, and its casing causes it to overheat a bit quickly.

All in all perfectly pleasant, and utterly unremarkable.

Dubinthedam Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dubinthedam (133)
Medium Medium Medium Very Pleasant

I found the whiskey taste limited, but present, the oriental is a classy touch, but unfortunately it does have a soapy danish style casing taste to it....a shame, perhaps it's coming from the oriental and not flavor enhancers but a bit disappointing from a major tobacco company. Worth a try if you like whiskey blends.

ynrozturk Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ynrozturk (40)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I really like this blend. The smell out of the tin is fantastic, it packs and lights easily, and stays lit. I did not get any tongue bite whatsoever with this blend, and it smokes all the way down to the end of the bowl with a fine grey ash.

One thing I LOVE about it though, is the sweet taste you get mid- bowl. I sip this slow in a church warden, and the flavors really shine when smoked gently. And that sweet taste I talked about earlier is simply fantastic. Nice cool, sweet smoke.

I don't care about the room note as I smoke this to please myself, and it pleases me just fine, say thankya.

DeadMensPipes Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DeadMensPipes (38)

There is not more that can be said about this blend - I have to agree with Pipestud on this one. I will add only that I was offered a bowlful from a friend's tin that was very well aged. It took to a match readily, and burned hot and harsh. This stuff bites.

BigNick Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BigNick (25)

A quite decent blend, I would use this as an all day smoke, nice on the palate, hard to keep lit sometimes, but other than that I really enjoy it. Nice on the palate good flavor, needs a little rubbing out but thats half the fun sometimes. I definitely recommend this to a beginner, due to the fact that it has almost no bite at all, and it doesn't make a mess in your pipe. I think three stars is well deserved

Wonderful mixture of quality tobaccos, being Virginia and Burley the main components, lightly spiced with Orientals and a definite but mild touch of whiskey. Very little tongue bite, great burning qualities and a mellow taste that's neither sweet nor bitter due to a perfect balance. Scotish mixtures are vaguely defined in the world of pipes, but when I think of this category, Davidoff's is the most representative in my mind.

uc_lonepipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
uc_lonepipe (6)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium Tolerable

I feel i can't do this tobacco review any justice unless i list out the pros and cons, it is just such a weird blend for me that I do not even know where to start

Pros: little to no maintenance, once I had gotten it lit that was pretty much all it needed, the flavor was not so bad a little strong and overbearing at times to me but then again I am kind of new to blends of this nature, cleaning the pipe afterward was not as laborious as after some of the other blends I have tried.

Cons: I got the dreaded pipe gurgle at some points,although,this could be attributed to my lack of experience again, my biggest peeve with this blend is that it lost a good portion of flavor towards the end of my bowl, it also smoked quite hot and times.

In summation I will finish the tin, but will not purchase this blend again.

peacepipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
peacepipe (16)
Mild to Medium Medium Very Mild Pleasant

This one started like an old car that had been sitting out in the garage for several months -- with a sputter, a stall, and then...a smooth ride on a fine country road once I found the right pipe/technique. Not overly moist in the tin, in fact my first tin here is very restrained in it's use of humectants (though they seem to be in there).

Experimented in different pipes but never got the tongue bite others have mentioned, but then I'm not a hard puffer. I believe pipe baccy is to be sipped and savored, not cooked and burned down faster than you can say, "heel"! OK, humor is not my strong suit...moving on:

After trying it in a handful of pipes (all tries pleasant but unremarkable) I found the magic combo: my new Brigham 4-dot rusticated bent, with the Scottish Mixture gently rubbed out--this was the final touch needed for a really smooth, pleasant smoke. Try the rubbing-out; it really opens up the flavor of this blend while helping keep a bowlful lit easily (not a problem in any case but a performance improvement).

It's not exceptionally rich or complex (I'm mainly a non-aromatic smoker, leaning toward unflavored VA flake and Oriental mostly). It's just a pleasant, easygoing and pleasant smelling smoke (so I'm told), good for a backyard party or a hike in the woods with friends without a single complaint or sneer from anyone, but rather quite a few compliments about the aroma.

The flavor doesn't evolve or develop much from match to dottle but that's ok with me; I was looking for a pleasant spring/summer smoke primarily, meant to be enjoyable for others around me as well, with summer socializing in mind. My man at De La Concha in New York steered me toward this with those criteria in mind and he didn't disappoint. More tins to be stocked.

orka Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
orka (50)
Mild Medium Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

I'm afraid I'm not terribly excited over this blend. Davidoff in my book have some really excellent blends, so I had high hopes for this one when I opened the tin. The tin aroma is awesome, but smoking it is another matter. I hate to say it, but it really is bland, and hot burning. Now, it's not totally hopeless. Its whisky casing does lend it a malty taste, and it can be quite sweet and round. But it does burn terribly hot, and requires too much nursing for it too be worth the effort.

It might be a pipe issue, so I'll probably try it in different pipes now and then and adjust the rating if necessary, but for now it lands on "somewhat recommended".

Someone said it's similar to Mac Baren's Scottish Mixture, I have to disagree on that, to my tastes they are nothing alike. But maybe that's just me.

Ismokeadapipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ismokeadapipe (21)
Medium Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This mixture was given to me as a gift, non-tinned. It was of the precise moisture to dryness tobacco that I have tried. Usually blends are a little on the moist side for me, not this one perfect.

Strength: To my tastes this is up there in medium range of nicotine strength. You can really tell this one is going to give you a little more than others.

Flavoring: Now I tried this blend and noticed something unique about it. It wasn't until I read the description on here that it contained rare scotch whiskey...BAM...that is what I tasted oddly enough. BTW, goes great with Scottish Whiskey.

Room Note: Rather nice for me.

Taste: Taste was somewhat ashy at the initial 5 min mark, but is excellent during relights.

This Blend is recommended.

My Notes: While this isn't a " write home to momma " blend, it is something that if I ran out of...I would miss it. All in all a great blend. Nice to smoke one that doesn't have the usual Latakia smokey taste to it.

N7COF Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
N7COF (56)
Mild Medium Mild Very Pleasant

From me a very good blend just doesn't make it into my regular rotation. I might have it once a week.

gourmet Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
gourmet (13)

It easily gets hot, is kind of groopey and does not have anything to do with the brands wonderful flake medaillons

Garrett Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Garrett (3)
Very Mild Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant

My third pipe tobacco review.

Upon opening the tin i got a smell of something fig like, not something that i enjoy I found this tobacco to get quite hot but very enjoyable none the less, it can bite if not puffed gently, a very mild taste but not any of scotch, the tobacco did not need any drying out for me anyway.

I would buy it again and recommend it to others.

Top D Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Top D (9)

Although I know some smokers may cringe, I prefer this blend in a corncob and with a Guinness Extra Stout. It claims to have a taist of Scotch, but as a single malt lover, I beg to differ. The flavering is by no means unpleasent, but a far cry from resembling scotch.

The ribbon cut is easy to pack and lite, and doesn't need airing/drying before shuving in and stricking your flint! It burns cool with no bite. I have been smoking this blend out on the lake in windy conditions with no stove cover, and hasn't burned through. You'd think ribbon would burn hotter, but not here.

I've used two tins, but have two more aging in my stash.

A little bland in flavor without much strength pretty much describes this Davidoff offering (IMO, of course).

I have struggled with Whiskey blends over the years. They just seem to burn a little warm to me and this one was no different. I smoked a couple of bowls and then gave the tin away.

Michigander Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Michigander (19)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Very Pleasant

I first ran across Davidoff Scottish Mixture on a trip to Dublin in 2001. I did not bring any pipes or tobacco because one of the first items on the list was to go to the Peterson store across from the University and buy a new Peterson. I have always loved their pipes, owned several, and thought it would be a real treat to buy one at the Peterson shop. I had a great time and ended up buying two new Petersons, a Strand and a Deerstalker which is to this day the favorite of my 35 pipes.

The salesman asked if I needed tobacco and I asked what he recommended and without hesitation he pointed out the Davidoff Scottish Mixture and told me that this was his favorite pipe tobacco. Well, since they carried the entire line of Peterson's tobacco and he was recommending this one instead, I figured I would try it. I also knew Davidoff Cigars and find them quite good.

This is my favorite tobacco. It has a very pleasant taste and the best room note ever. It is not an over powering aromatic. Not saccarine sweet nor woodsy. Hard to describe. But even hours and days later, when most room note has degenerated to "ashtray" smell, this one smells just as pleasant. It is the only tobacco I smoke indoors.

I have a seven day rotation of my pipes and dedicate pipes to specific tobaccos. I rotate through a number of different tobaccos which I enjoy. This is the only tobacco with seven dedicated pipes (the seven best of my 15 Peterson's). I smoke it daily.

Medium Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

This is a good blend with hi quality tobacco, nice flavor and elegant room note. For those who like to smoke Scottish blend without tongue bite this would be a good choice.

If you want to try a better version of this one, try Mac Baren Mixture Scottish blend (my top favorite ), it is far superior, but require the Mac baren smoking technique to avoid tongue bite.

augustin Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
augustin (5)

I accidentally acquired 5 tins of this stuff so I'm ageing 3 of them. When I began smoking it, I thought it had a mild and not so interesting flavor, but it has grown on me and I get cravings for it every so often. Most of the time, I am too excited to smoke through my virginia collection, so I don't get around to this one that often. The flavor is light and satisfying.

Piperpan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Piperpan (9)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild Tolerable

This tobacco doesn't suggest nothing special to me. Nothing evocates to my taste. I consider it as no bad no good. Nothing special. Somewhat recommended but not too much...

smoking-rob Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
smoking-rob (68)

This Scottish Mixture by Davidoff has been on the market for some time because I first bought it 30 years ago. I remember it then said on the tin: "Made in Holland"(where I live as well) so it could have been made by Niemeyer. Who produces it now I cannot tell. The mixture is about the same as then (although all tobacco's were rather better in the old days) with the same whisky and chocolate/coffee notes, and very tasty for that matter. Indeed, the cut does resemble Plumcake but from there on, the two are worlds apart. This is much smoother on the palate and burns rather better, whereas Plumcake is a biter if you're not careful. I do recommend this fine mixture to lovers of a quality aromatic. Rob.

DrY11 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DrY11 (39)
Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

UPDATE: NOV15 2007 I did imply that I will give an update - so here it is.

I find myself reaching more and more often for this. I cannot say that I always have the luxury of truly relaxing while I smoke this - bit it is OK.

I also notice that people around me do not seem to complain all that much about it - it is not really discreet but the scent has a certain agreeable quality.

Overall, I like it. Perhaps not as much as some other blends but I do. I will buy it again - if I come across it - but I will not go looking for it...

INITIAL: OCT31 2007 Well, I am just smoking my first bowl.

The open tin smell does remind me of McB Plumcake. The tobaco itself, Texture-wise also reminds me of McB Plumcake.

It did pack quite well and it took to light immediately.

Right now, I am holding the pipe in my hand and I am taking gentle puffs withdrawing the pipe as I am savoring the taste in my mouth. This way, it is quite good. But if you just keep holding the pipe with your mouth throughout the process, when your hands are "tied up", then it is too light and all complexity is lost.

This should be good for breath smoking. I think it can make a very good companion for moments of relaxation. I just think that it tends to burn hot - if not puffed really gently - and this makes it hard to really enjoy.

dogsplayinpoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
dogsplayinpoker (6)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Medium Very Pleasant

An aromatic minus the tonue bite and over-powering casing. I enjoy this blend when I get a hankerin' for something that will smell nice to others and smoke well for me. There is something to Scottish Mixture that puts it above regular aromatics. Perhaps it is the whiskey, though I do not detect it. Most likely it is the quality leaf that Davidoff uses. I am always in the minority when recommending this blend to other smokers but that is fine by me. More for me to shelve for later!

Nick O'Teen Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Nick O'Teen (90)

Although I've smoked a few tins of this over the years, this one is very hard to describe. It has a taste all its own.

One might say it is somewhat like an aromatic that Mac Baren might produce, but it doesn't burn hot or bite to the degree of a Mac Baren aromatic. Mac Baren Mixture Scottish Blend is somewhat like this one, but that's a stretch.

The room note is quite pleasant. If you're an aromatic smoker looking for something different, you might want to give this one-of-a-kinder a try.

I don't enjoy this as much as I used to, but can give Davidoff Scottish Mixture a mild recommendation.

**1/2

A. Morley Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
A. Morley (72)
Medium to Strong Strong Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Something must be wrong here. For you see, I seem to be smoking something quite different from the tobacco others have reviewed here, or even the one described on the tin this came in. I detect no Orientals and perhaps only a hint of Burley. The majority of the stuff seems to be made up of bright Virginia in a broken flake form.

What really astounds me is how anybody could say that this tobacco has anything, in the least, to do with whiskey, with the exception of what is printed on the tin. If one must make comparison between this leaf and some sort of potable, I would have to hearken back the sorts of punch that were drunk by the likes of Dr. Johnson, with their citrus undertones with the overall essence of perfumes and flowers. To me every shred of this tobacco seems an attempt by a Continental concern to produce the sort of Virginia based aromatic of the English Lakeland tradition. I happen to like such mixtures and, as a result, found Scottish Mixture to be quite palatable. Not at all Scottish, though, and certainly not in the way of whiskey.

Regards,

A. Morley Jaques

poupehan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
poupehan (23)
Mild Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Typical davidoff presentation of quality tobacco, ribbon cut. I recently tried Mac Baren Plumcake, which has rum in it ? this one is supposed to have whisky in it, and now I understand more what the liquor does to a tobacco. The two are somewhat similar in taste and aroma. It tastes good, but I can?t have it too often (you can?t eat mussels or rabbit, or liver everyday, twice, three times a year is enough ? but it IS very tasy). My wife REALY likes this one and wonders why I don?t smoke it more often. All in all more like a Danish cavendish with a touch of whisky than a real Scottish mixture, but a good change of pace anyway.

Medium Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

I have always respected Davidoff: for their fine cigars, and for their cigarettes. When I used to smoke cigarettes, theirs were the best. As a consequence, I couldn't help trying this pipe tobacco, the only blend in their line which is imported in Italy. Well, I would have hoped something better from this roughly-cut, scotch whiskey-flavored cavendish/burley... The tin aroma is overwhelmingly sweet, but the smoke isn't much: it is almost pungent, spicy, despite the only average strength. I like it moderately, but the main problem is that I grow quickly tired of it. Sometimes I don't even finish the bowl, also because it tends to burn a bit wet and bite slightly. The room aroma, despite the sweetness of the tin smell, is pungent, too, and not very pleasant to some. An average tobacco, rather nice if smoked slowly, but without the necessary appeal to make it enter in my "always to have at home" group.

Good quality tobacco, cased with Scotch whiskey. If you appreciate an aromatic smoke, this one is for you. It is similar to other whiskey cased mixtures (e.g., Radford?s Old Scotch), but perhaps with a little more body and depth. The tin aroma is too heavy for my taste, but my SLW finds it agreeable. It is easy to pack, but not that easy to light. I think there is PG in this one, as the first puffs tickle my nostrils and produce an astringent effect in the throat. It does not burn cool. The flavour is alright, in that it does taste of tobacco, but eventually the casing overpowers the taste and settles in the pipe (NB: if you don?t want your briar to taste of sweet Scotch for weeks, don?t try it!). All in all, this mixture is closer to Irish coffee than it is to tobacco or Scotch whisky. Not bad if you like a sweet, aromatic smoke. Personally, I would rather drink Scotch than smoke it.

Aether Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Aether (6)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

A l'ouverture de la boite, il y a une odeur de whisky, une odeur résineuse subtile, le tout ponctué de touches épicées dues à l'Oriental. Les arômes sont légers, a l'inverse des tabacs saucés. Pour vous donner une image, cela sent un peu "le baril de whisky vide"; une odeur légère et évaporée d'alcool associée à l'humidité du bois qui l'a contenue, avec en arrière plan une note épicée qui vient rehausser le tout. Le tabac est plutôt compact dans la boite, relativement sec en surface et plus humide en dessous. La coupe semi fine rend le bourrage aisé et le tabac peu être fumé directement. L'allumage est facile et le fumage linéaire. Au fumage il s'avère qu'on retrouve bien le whisky , arrondi par le côté boisé et un fond de tourbe. Une note légèrement épicée vient s'ajouter en plus en arrière plan, sans s'accentuer pour autant vers la fin du bol. Le goût général n'est pas très moelleux, plutôt sec même, et le fumage relativement linéaire. La fumée est peu compacte et le goût ne reste pas longtemps en bouche. Pour conclure, un voyage à l'image des Highlands; vert et vallonné, un arôme de scotch et cette petite note épicée à l'image de la lande couverte de fougères et de bruyères. En bref un aromatique léger. Voici pour moi la deuxième boite Davidoff que j'ouvre et c'est une nouvelle déception. Pas dans la qualité des tabacs employés, loin de là. C'est la saveur de type "Scottish" qui ne me convient pas. Je ne suis pas fan de whisky en général, puis j'ai trouvé le fumage un peu sec m'attendant a un peu plus de moelleux et de rondeur en bouche. J'ai donc moyennement apprécié ce tabac, je n'en rachèterai pas.

albfneto Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
albfneto (152)

In contrast with English (more Latakia and Orientals than Virginia, orientals and Latakia dominant) and Balkan (more Orientals than Latakia and Virginia,Orientals dominant) in Scottish mixtures, Virginia is the dominant tobacco over the Orientals and contains little or no Latakia.

See my review in Peter Stokkbyee's "Balkan Supreme".

The taste of this mixture is so good,but the flavour is milder.

Whisky is noted mainly in the Blend, in the Tin, the tobacco, but much less in the smoke, bu noted. In the tin, the flavour is very good, bu the tobacco seems to be litle dried, not wet.

Not for people that enjoy Latakia, bu very good fot those that like natural aromatics. 3 Stars.