Ripe red and bright flue-cured tobaccos are joined by piquant Acadian Perique and a balanced measure of smoky dark-fired Kentucky. The leaf is pressed and matured in cakes before being cut into 2oz bars, resulting in a bold blend for Virginia and Perique fans.

Notes: The second blend in the New World Series - Triple Play was introduced in May, 2011.

From GL Pease: After the wonderful reception of JackKnife Plug, more than a few of you asked for a virginia/perique plug. Some suggested adding perique to JackKnife, which, of course, I tried, but the balance was wrong. The overall profile was nice, but the amount of dark-fired leaf competed with, rather than enhanced the addition of perique. If enough perique was added, the virginias got lost. After some fiddling with the percentages of the different virginias, and reducing the amount of dark-fired leaf, everything came wonderfully into balance, and the result is Triple Play.

Once again, the leaf is pressed and matured in cakes before being cut into 2oz bars. I think the results are fantastic, and this one will appeal to lovers of classic VA/perique blends, with the added fun of having it in plug form.

BrandG. L. Pease
Packaging2oz bar
Strength
Taste

Strong None Detected Full Pleasant to Tolerable

It took me the better part of a full tin to figure out how to smoke this dark, stout and highly flavorful plug.

This is a robust blend, with the virginia clear to the back and the perique and Kentucky fighting for the lead. High in nicotine, this is an after dinner smoke for me. There was just a touch of sweetness, and that briny note I experienced in Telegraph Hill was present, courtesy of the perique. But where TH offset it with some nice Virginia sweetness and spice, TP uses more Kentucky, giving this a heavy-bodied sort of porterhouse steak flavor (well-done Porterhouse!). But smoking it sliced made the taste harsh for me, similar to Fillmore. I played with it awhile but the harshness didn't go away until I rubbed it out. It took a lot of rubbing! Even then, the problem persisted. I had the most success when I let this simply smolder instead of burn. Smoke volume was very low, taste was very high. Bowl lasted almost 3 hours! But then it showed me its strengths.

This is really a 4-star blend but I'm giving it 3 because GLP has already provided me with his state of the art Vaper, Telegraph Hill, and I find it preferable to this. If you find that one lacking, this may just be your manna. It's an interesting take on the classic Vaper. With the added Kentucky, it's almost a genre of its own. This is destined to become an important blend, I believe, and I recommend that everyone that loves perique give this a try.

moniker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
moniker (31)
Strong Very Mild Full Tolerable

"Triple Play"? For me, this is a high, hard, fast one right down the pipe, resulting in a walk-off home run. If you are a grizzled, jaded veteran who smokes the best VA/Pers while wondering about "more", you owe it to yourself to give Triple Play a shot. I guaran-damn-tee-ya you will, at the very least, experience the "more" you have wondered about.

The tin note here is actually somewhat less "piquant" than Chelsea Morning; Triple Play's dense plug seems almost "mellow" by comparison, though cognoscenti will well note the "age" on the little brick. My present smoking sample has an additional year on it, and I am putting it mildly when I say it ages well.

Back to "piquant", this is one of the most complex and "interesting" tobaccos I have had the pleasure of smoking. In my dry climate, I need only cut a flake off the plug, rub it out, stuff it, and light it. It smokes easily, with clouds of rich, interesting (there's that word again...) smoke. I have no doubt that Triple Play minus the Kentucky would be a fine VA/Per; but - like I said - it's that and... more. Here, the dark Kentucky quotient really (somehow...) tips the scale for me, with way more than the usual "Burley" nuts and roundness. Although Triple Play is "big" it is anything but "round", due to the piquancy and the fully delightful interplay of textures and flavors that just keep unfolding. Tobacco, preparation,, presentation, handling, and smoking qualities are all among the best available. Aggregate aroma and taste are largely unique in my experience, and better for that. This is not just another VA/Bur/Per.

Beginners and those with an empty stomach, take heed: I have smoked stronger tobaccos, but this is "strong enough" for me!

Four Stars, all the way around to Home Plate!

Phonomet Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Phonomet (36)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I had the good fortune to find a 2 year old tin of this (the white plastic cap already yellowed by the continuous billows of smoke produced in the comfortable front room of B&B tobacconists.) I can't comment on what a new tin tastes like, but I've read some reviews here mentioning its subtle sweetness; let me say that 2 years of age made this plug incredibly sweet. The plug cut easily and the crumbled flakes were perfectly dry for smoking. The Kentucky is more present than the perique, but to my tastes the sweet VAs came singing through the pipe. The only reason I'm not giving this 4 stars is that it's actually too sweet for my palate.

Age When Smoked: 2 years old

Purchased From: B&B tobacconists Asheville

Huskies4 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Huskies4 (6)
Strong None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable

Upon opening you are greeted with a beautiful solid brick of tobacco. This plug is one of the more solid types and takes to a knife well (though it is still a soft plug, not hard at all). I have found many leaves in the plug which are whole and occasionally larger than the 2x2 brick itself. Truly a beautiful presentation with A+ tobacco leaves.

I prefer to cut the plug against the grain and then fully rub out. Some of the leaves will be too large and need further cutting. This tobacco is moist but will smoke well after 5-10 minutes of drying, a perfect moisture level for aging in the cellar.

The taste is pure tobacco, no sugars or topping present. I taste sweet Virginia, bread and spices. Half way down the bowl the flavor develops into an old world taste, sublime!

I will be buying 8 tins next time to age for 3-5 years. This is a tobacco everyone should try!

quantumboy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
quantumboy (119)
Strong None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Triple Play (reviewed June 23, 2011) Tin date: 05/19/2011

From Pease's website: “Triple Play — Ripe red and bright flue-cured tobaccos are joined by piquant Acadian perique, and a balanced measure of smoky, dark-fired Kentucky. The leaf is pressed and matured in cakes before being cut into 2oz bars, resulting in a bold blend for Virginia and periqe fans.”

The plug is quite dark in the tin. Mine held together nicely, not hard like many other plugs, but easy to pull apart in layers. Even if it falls apart in the tin, that normally doesn't bother me since I'm just going to chop it up anyway. It actually helps in the prep, since you can peel off layers and cut them up with a scissors if you want a nice cube cut. I've tried it thoroughly rubbed out, and cubed. The jury is still out on which I prefer.

From the tin Triple Play is very moist, almost sticky. I believe that C&D (and therefore Pease) uses only distilled water to moisten their tobacco, so this is au naturale. I didn't wait to dry it, preferring to combat moisture with packing technique, and it works wonderfully. My usual method of packing any tobacco is simply to cram several pinches of tobacco into the pipe, testing the draw after every single pinch. That way I can keep the pack on target for a “just right” draw. If the draw happens to get too firm during packing, I'll often dig it out and start over. It's worth the effort, as this enables me to comfortably smoke even quite moist blends.

The thing that immediately comes to mind as I smoke Triple Play is the meeting of two worlds – the old school, earthy UK-manufactured natural plugs meets the New World sensibilities of all-American tobacco strains. I taste old-world richness but sprinkled with flavors that are more varied, more nuanced and more complex than most. The balance between the various tobbacos is impeccable, and I can't imagine varying the percentages one bit.

The first sensation for me is the richness of the piquant Perique and Kentucky, with the Virginias lingering subtly in the background. There is a mild sweetness, but this is by no means a “sweet” smoke in according to my taster. The sweetness is there in just the right quantity to keep this from being and ashy astringent smoke, my main complaint with other similar blends.

The tin aroma is of hay, dried fruit and dried prune-plums. Very nice. For me it does best in my wide-open pot, with a depth about equal to its width, the same type of pipe that I usually use for straight Virginias.

About half way down this stuff turns from good into amazing, the richness and complexity of all three ingredients melding wonderfully. If you concentrate you can pick out the individual flavors, but the overall taste when they all meld is really unique and delicious. For this reason, I think it should become fantastic with some age, as the flavors further meld and the richness of the condimental tobaccos spread to infuse the whole plug. How long this might take is anyone's guess.

While I don't get the barbeque senstation like many others do (I live in barbeque heaven, BTW) I do get the essence of rich meats and earthy smoke. I am coming to believe the Perique is the star of the show here, and it would be a fascinating experiment to try this stuff with and without the Perique just to see what it's doing in there. From what I have read about this blend, the Virginias are apparently present in some quantity but everything is so well balanced that it just blends in – which is what a good “blend” is supposed to do, right?

You can puff on this tobacco or sip it, but sipping brings out the subtleties and richer flavors. Also it tends to heat up the briar quite a bit when really puffing, so slow down and enjoy it. Fans of plugs and dark ropes will really enjoy this one. Imagine a dark flake like FVF, with a little Tambolaka and sweet hay-like Virginia thrown in.

Four stars!

Dr. Scott Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dr. Scott (81)
Very Strong None Detected Full Tolerable

Dominated by the Kentucky, not that much different from Jackknife Plug, I had hoped for more Virginia. Very, very strong stuff. Tastes like cigarettes to me, Camels or Lucky Strike. If you like old fashioned plugs like those of Sam Gawith, you might like this. Not recommended for the novice. Tin description is accurate, but don't expect a VaPer blend.

Blackhorse Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Blackhorse (70)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Yes, it's a plug. But both this and JackKnife are what I call a soft plug. After you slice it if you just crush it lightly in your palm you're left with a mass of soft, moist leaves...stuff 'em into your bowl and go for it. I do a kind of fast sip and it produces no bite with this blend. The flavor is all VA...very good quality...sweet and fairly full...seemingly pure. A solid addition to any cellar. Great to use outside as you can adjust the cut to suit the level of the wind...nice. I wish Stonehaven came in a plug.

But wait! There's one more thing. Let this sit in the tin for 6 months...or longer...and it friggin' blooms into the best damn Virginia experience this side of heaven. It doesn't just get more and more mellow, it makes men fear you...women want you...you know the drill. Better cellar some soon. Just sayin'.

Lit a Kia Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Lit a Kia (16)
Strong None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant

My favorite of the Kentucky blends I've tried. Pease could have phoned this one in by just sprinkling some Perique into Jack Knife Plug, but he did it right and absolutely nailed it.

This is one of only a few that can stop me in my tracks when I catch a whiff of it walking past the "cabinet." Leather, figs and earth in the tin, with raisins and a vegetable note I can't place (fern?) in the background. Leave the tin open and you'll smell an ever-changing symphony.

The smoke is rich, leathery, and dark and has a healthy nicotine kick. (Pairs well with a Belgian white or German wheat beer.)

The pre-smoke ritual of cutting and rubbing a plug won't appeal to everyone, but when I'm in the mood to smoke this, I'm ready for full immersion and time to stand still. Only adds to the experience, imo. Keeps your skills sharp too.

Similar Blends: HH Old Dark Fired.

Strong Extremely Mild Full Tolerable to Strong

It's a pain in the rear to prepare, but worth the effort. Unless you mince the tobacco, you'll be rewarded with a long and tasty smoke. Depending on how you prepare it, you'll get flavor changes from bowl to bowl, and sometimes in the bowl you're smoking it in. That's due to it being a plug with a variety of ingredients. The perique is peppery and along with the dark, earthy, nutty Kentucky, provides quite a bit of the strength. There is a very mild sweetness from the Virginias that is usually subdued, and shows up when you're not expecting it. There's a little harshness from time to time, but not in a bad way. It's a strong smoke, but it won't knock off your seat, though your friends may not like the room note. I consider it to be one of Pease's best blends, and unlike some he makes, doesn't need aging, though I'll bet it's even better after a couple of years or so. Doesn't matter either way, really, because it's a superior product for the experienced smoker.

JackSparrow Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JackSparrow (13)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant

This is my 1st plug, and my first GL Pease…

I'm a flake lover, so I love plugs further more! What a fun preparing this baccy: I slice the plug in thin flakes and then rub them out, let them dry for a little while and then load my bowl. It's like a sort of ancient ritual…I'd like all my favorites were plugs!

Opening the tin (the packaging is very well refined) you can see a reddish, brown and dark plug, then you can smell a good, strong, earthy aroma of natural tobacco, only tobacco, no flavors or topping added. Some sweet nut and hay notes are present in the background, but just detectable. Moisture is almost perfect, need a very little drying before loading and lighting.

It gets lit very easily and need very few relights, burns slowly, quite cool, with no tongue bite. It packs a good N load, so it is a very rich and satisfying smoke, but never tiring or overwhelming. It is very well balanced, VAs and KE and mixed in very harmonic proportion, PE is just detectable. It's quite an an unusual blend. Its room note is pleasant, taste is very earthy, with a hint of sweetness brought by VAs.

It's a bit monodimensional, compared to other VAPE blends (ie St James Flake) but I think it works good and it's just what is expected to be: a blend for the smoker who is looking for straight full tobacco taste, no more!

Between 3 and 4 stars!

deepbass9 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
deepbass9 (7)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Tolerable

I'm all about variety, I'm all about quality and my palate is wider than many. Tobacco moisture, tongue bite, mood, smoking circumstances and other controllable variables won't be covered. This review is based on multiple bowls over time.

This may be my favorite blend yet. I've got your VA's, your VaPers, your Burleys, your Lats, your Aro's, your Orientals and all combos in between. Currently I have 46 jars I'm smoking from...at my leisure. This is one tasty blend, period...with plenty of VA sweetness pulling it together.

Anyone who says it's too much trouble to prepare seems a little lazy to me..slices easily, rubs fine, and leave it to sit a minute and she's ready to go. Yes, it's very moist, but that is a controllable variable.

As for flavor...beefy, sweet, sourish, just damn yummy to my palate. I have JKP, which I like..this I love. I'm one of the fortunate ones that is unaffected by nicotine unless it's on an empty stomach. I can smoke this stuff all day..plummy and sweet, nutty and full..man I likes me some TP!

This will be added in quantity to my "cellar". We're all different, we're all human, but if you read my reviews and find yourself to have similar tastes, by all means give it a go! My favorite Pease blend to date. If Lat's are his forte, dark-fire seems to be his bread & butter. Thanks GLP, you have a winner.

This is an excellent tobacco.

Medium None Detected Medium to Full Very Pleasant

Another Pease blend that is highly recommended. Triple Play was extremely difficult to prepare as others have noted, but worth the effort. Stout and nutty Burley is the lead singer with lightly sweet Virginia leaf and Perique playing in the background. The depth of the flavors is Old World indeed!

I am not a patient man when it comes to smoking my pipes. When I'm ready for a bowl I don't want to fiddle forever with the tobacco first. Please make a ready rubbed version of this wonderful weed.

jakpiper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jakpiper (3)
Strong None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant

The plug is quite moist so cutting into flakes was difficult. I have settled on shaving thin slices and rubbing out. Its too moist straight out of the tin and I live in the tropics where tobacco doesn't dry out in the air. I pop the tobacco in the toaster oven for a couple of minutes to get it the spongey but springy state. It lights well and stays lit rubbed out. I tried it as cubes but it required too much attention. Flavors are very natural to me. The burly gives it a strong nutty taste, there are hints of sweet virginia and the spiciness comes in and out. It reminds my at times of Dorisco but not as spicy. I also suspect that Dorisco has a hint of Latakia which Triple Play certainly has not. This tobacco works for me sipping very slowly. Its at the upper levels of my nicotine tolerance. (I'm scared to smoke 1792 or Jack Knife Plug.) I'm going to buy a couple of tins to cellar.

N7COF Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
N7COF (56)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I'm not impressed by this spongy version of a plug tobacco. Will let it spend time in the cellar then update my thoughts on this.

tennjd2000 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tennjd2000 (6)
Very Strong None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant

I liked, but did not love, Jack Knife Plug. I really liked the novelty of the plug and the process of preparing it to smoke, but I thought the blend was a bit overwhelming to be a regular smoke. I LOVE Triple Play. The addition of the Perique seems to make all the difference. It balances out the dark burley and seems to mellow the blend while adding a distinctive pungent flavor and it cools down the Virginias making this a wonderful smoke. This is a man's blend, but one that you can still smoke all day. It still has a pretty powerful nicotine kick, but nowhere near the nigh overwhelming kick to JKP.

The aroma in the tin is sweet and earthy with notes of dried fruit. The flavor is consistent from first light to the end of the bowl. The room note is pleasant although my wife said it reminded her of a cigarette (I lay that at the feet of the Burley content and my wife's hyper-sensitive nose). Nevertheless this has found its way into my top five blends.

I can't wait for more plug blends from G.L. Pease.

mdnyc71 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mdnyc71 (22)
Very Strong Extremely Mild Full Tolerable

I like to cut Triple Play into slices then rub out. The plug holds a lot of moisture but not enough that it needs significant drying time. This tobacco is pretty low maintenance (at least for me). The fullness of flavor and nicotine hit is similar to Pease's Fillmore blend, but here I found a bit more Virginia sweetness. I have no experience smoking Kentucky leaf so I'm having a difficult time commenting on that component of the blend. This tobacco reminds me of SG's St. James Flake with all of the characteristics dialed up a notch or two.

Triple Play can be harsh if I puff too hard, but, when I take my time, it is a flavorful and relaxing smoke.

CGHurlburt Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CGHurlburt (24)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Tolerable

Very good. The virginia in it is some of the best I've tasted. The kentucky leaf and perique is matched perfectly. I wish all VA/Pers had virginia of this quality. A masterpiece for the pipe.

beardedhermit Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
beardedhermit (30)

hot diggity daffodil this some good o'l pipe weed. This here Gregory Pease feller sure do know how to make em right.

StylesSharpman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
StylesSharpman (24)

Recommended. A nice tasty plug, smells like cheese to me. anyway i like this one from Gregory Pease and I think you will too.

Blue Bayou Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Blue Bayou (59)
Very Strong None Detected Very Full Pleasant

Very strong, but pleasant and smooth, great aroma, no bite and high nic kick! Strong chocolate notes.

Darth Vader Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Darth Vader (72)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant

Very nice. As advertized, Jack knife with some perique. I love Jack knife and dont feel the perique adds anything IMHO. Will stick with the original but will enjoy smoking this till its gone.

Update. Well blow me down. Now i like it as much as Jack Knife. Which one to smoke? Decisions, decisions!

Stan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Stan (135)

This is comparable to Jacknife Plug, but lighter in body (not light though). Otherwise very similar, just much less Kentucky Burley to beef it up.

The red Virginia sweetness is just barely in the background with a lot of darker flavor (someone likened it to barbacue sauce; to me maybe hickory), and needs more time to age for the reds to come through I trust. In time it may approach something like old Escudo (maybe wishful thinking too).

I still find it hard to work the plug. It cuts, sure, but I can't seem to get neat cubes or flakes out of it. Just thick ribbons that I rub to smaller chunks. Again, the plug is not as tight as some others I've tried (PPP), so cutting is more hit or miss. However, this plug is mixed, not as layered as JKP, so my uneveness should not affect the flavor curve here.

But no problem in lighting and burning steadily. Cool, full, with some dark flavors. Good body.

I suppose the comparison to Germain Brown Flake is apt, which I find milder (not a plug but the flakes seem melded in the tin).

I will smoke more of this to see if it growns on me or ages well.

Update: After a couple of months, the mixture is smoother, a little sweeter, and still rich and full (short of Jack knife). More enjoyable in select moments when I want something this full. Almost delirious in body. I find a serrated knife cuts it better into thick or coarse ribbons, which I rub more. A reviewer in another tobacco newsletter says he's glad the plug is not as tight as some others. So maybe that's a plus after all. Upgrade a star.

Zfog Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Zfog (3)
Strong None Detected Full Pleasant

At first opening this tin I was hit by a very strong scent, almost like a spicy pizza. Yes....pizza. It is very moist out of the tin and required a good 1.5 hours of dry time. It probably could use a bit more than that. I am a big fan of Jacknife Plug, and although this in my opinion was not better, it may be so once it has aged a bit. I recommend this tobacco!

Medium to Strong Very Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

I liked it, but I didn't love it. It'll do in a pinch.