For the true Perique lover. 16% Perique really gives this blend some spicy, earth tones & real punch. All this on top a base of Malawi Dark Fired, Indian Dark Air-Cured with a little Turksih.

BrandGauntleys Of Nottingham
Blended ByGlynn Quelch
ContentsKentucky, Oriental/Turkish, Perique, Virginia
PackagingLoose
Strength
Strong
None Detected, Mild
Taste
Medium to Full, Full
Tolerable, Tolerable to Strong

Lucretius Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Lucretius (6)
Strong None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable

Being a former heavy cigarette smoker I do like a good nicotine kick and this blend of Perique, dark Virginia and Kentucky tobaccos promised to deliver.

On opening the pouch the aroma was a pronounced spicy fruitness, much like a good BBQ marinade. From the initial light, this tobacco tasted quite similar to one of my favourite VaPers, Samuel Gawith's St James Flake, which is strange given that the pouch aroma was completely different. I didn't detect much of the Turkish, but the Kentucky provided a cigar-like base note to the blend.

As the bowl progressed the flavours became more rich and complex, making this a very satisfying smoke. The combination of Kentucky and Virginia can't help but draw comparison to GL Pease Jacknife Plug but, for me, the addition of Perique means that Bayou Blend is likely to be my go-to Kentucky blend. A little more of the St James Flake style sweetness and this blend would likely have been a 4 star mix.

Recommended, especially for those looking for a shot of Vitamin N, and a very comfortable 3 stars.

LimeyPipeSmoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
LimeyPipeSmoker (5)
Strong Mild Full Tolerable to Strong

I've been procrastinating over buying this for some time wanting something different and stronger than your average blend, so I finally decided to give it a whirl this morning.

I hadn't even opened the pouch and already I could get a good whiff of what was inside, upon opening the aroma was a little more powerful than I was expecting but kind of added to the excitement (yes I am sad, I get excited about such things)The tobacco it's is pretty much bang on: not too dry and not too moist so you're good to go straight away.

The first couple of puffs and the Perique is certainly noticeable and after a few more it starts to hit you, yes this is certainly a very stout blend. about a third through the bowl and it starts teasing the tongue with that "I'm going to bite you" feeling which just adds to the enjoyment. Coming to the end of the bowl as I write this and I can honestly say Glynn has hit the nail on the head with this blend: a strong hit but a very enjoyable one.

Very happy with this blend and shall certainly be ordering more, I only wish I'd first tried it in my Peterson as, being a dribbling loon the usual pipe cleaner was required every so often.