For the true Perique lover. 16% Perique really gives this blend some spicy, earth tones & real punch. All this on top a base of Malawi Dark Fired, Indian Dark Air-Cured with a little Turksih.

BrandGauntleys Of Nottingham
Blended ByGlynn Quelch
ContentsKentucky, Oriental/Turkish, Perique, Virginia
Medium to Full, Full, Very Full
Pleasant, Tolerable, Tolerable to Strong

Very Strong None Detected Very Full Pleasant

Gauntleys-Bayou Blend. I love it when the smaller less eminent companies show the big boys that they can hold their own and this is exactly the situation we have here.

On the description it says it's ready rubbed but I'm inclined to say it's more like a course mixture. It contains a good amount of broken flake pieces, not big enough to warrant rubbing out but still identifiable as being broken flakes.

The smell coming from it suggests strength. There isn't any trace of any sort of topping but a hearty/raw/full tobacco fragrance.

Lighting Bayou up is simple. I only give it quite a short toasting light and then we're on our way.

The flavour of the smoke I find very full. As well as being full it has a good complexity to it. I don't find that any of the constituents particularly stand out above the rest, instead the all work in harmony. I know that sounds cheesy but I can't think of another way to put it!

This one would be great for a heavy cigarette smoker. It doesn't have enough nicotine to knock out a bull but it's a good and strong one!

I get no bite at all from Bayou, not even if I puff it like mad. I know different blends bite different folks but this is that tame I couldn't see it even giving the slightest nip to anyone!

As I said at the beginning I love it when the small guys show the world they know how it's done! This is one of the tastiest small company blends I have tried. Highly recommended.

Pipe Used: Peterson S'S' 303

Purchased From: Gauntleys

Lucretius Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Lucretius (6)
Strong None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable

Being a former heavy cigarette smoker I do like a good nicotine kick and this blend of Perique, dark Virginia and Kentucky tobaccos promised to deliver.

On opening the pouch the aroma was a pronounced spicy fruitness, much like a good BBQ marinade. From the initial light, this tobacco tasted quite similar to one of my favourite VaPers, Samuel Gawith's St James Flake, which is strange given that the pouch aroma was completely different. I didn't detect much of the Turkish, but the Kentucky provided a cigar-like base note to the blend.

As the bowl progressed the flavours became more rich and complex, making this a very satisfying smoke. The combination of Kentucky and Virginia can't help but draw comparison to GL Pease Jacknife Plug but, for me, the addition of Perique means that Bayou Blend is likely to be my go-to Kentucky blend. A little more of the St James Flake style sweetness and this blend would likely have been a 4 star mix.

Recommended, especially for those looking for a shot of Vitamin N, and a very comfortable 3 stars.

LimeyPipeSmoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
LimeyPipeSmoker (5)
Strong Mild Full Tolerable to Strong

I've been procrastinating over buying this for some time wanting something different and stronger than your average blend, so I finally decided to give it a whirl this morning.

I hadn't even opened the pouch and already I could get a good whiff of what was inside, upon opening the aroma was a little more powerful than I was expecting but kind of added to the excitement (yes I am sad, I get excited about such things)The tobacco it's is pretty much bang on: not too dry and not too moist so you're good to go straight away.

The first couple of puffs and the Perique is certainly noticeable and after a few more it starts to hit you, yes this is certainly a very stout blend. about a third through the bowl and it starts teasing the tongue with that "I'm going to bite you" feeling which just adds to the enjoyment. Coming to the end of the bowl as I write this and I can honestly say Glynn has hit the nail on the head with this blend: a strong hit but a very enjoyable one.

Very happy with this blend and shall certainly be ordering more, I only wish I'd first tried it in my Peterson as, being a dribbling loon the usual pipe cleaner was required every so often.