A slight twist on the typical Scottish mixture. A
slight topping of Cinnamon & Nutmeg on the black
cavendish, with a good helping of cigar leaf.

Notes: Handblended instore.

BrandGauntleys Of Nottingham
Blended ByGlynn Quelch / Gauntleys
ContentsCigar Leaf, Burley, Kentucky, Virginia, Black Cavendish, Latakia, Oriental/Turkish
PackagingLoose
Strength
Taste
Medium, Medium to Full
Pleasant to Tolerable, Tolerable

Smoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Smoker (4)
Medium to Strong Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

A very, very good and original tobacco. I like the variety of tastes that i receive by smoking a bowl of it.

Lucretius Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Lucretius (6)
Medium Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I have had only good experiences with my orders from Gauntleys and so decided to try a few of their house blends. On opening the pouch of attractive gold, brown and black ribbons I was greeted by an sweet, but woodsy, caramel aroma, which reminded me somewhat of Clan - a blend I found smelled good in the pouch and in the room, but tasted a little nauseating. With a little trepidation, I packed my large Gauntley's Oom Paul pipe, and settled in for the charring light.

My concern was unfounded. Nottingham Blend is an extremely tasty tobacco from start to finish. Initial flavours of leather and wood-smoke were joined by an intriguing sweetness as the cinnamon-flavoured Black Cavendish came through. As the bowl progressed the Latakia became a little more prominent, but never became overwhelming. The cigar leaf added a really interesting dimension, although I would have been happy with a little more in the blend.

Overall this is a first-class blend which will be going straight into my regular rotation in addition to my regular VaPer and Latakia blends. I could certainly see someone choosing this as their all-day tobacco. If I were to have one criticism it would be that it required a few more relights than usual, but it would be churlish to take a star off for that.

Highly recommended, and therefore 4 stars from me.

Camp Freddie Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Camp Freddie (10)
Medium Medium Medium Tolerable

This blend burns well and has a good full flavour, giving you a smooth dark and woody smoke. It's a great everyday blend which is honest and consistent, fantastic for either relaxing on your own of complimenting a few drinks down the Dog and Duck.

captain duff Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
captain duff (6)
Medium Medium to Strong Medium to Full Tolerable

Gauntley's is one of the few remaining UK tobacconists that blend their own pipe tobacco in-house (rather than rebadging generic blends) thanks to the enthusiasm of Glynn (who also runs the Nottingham Pipe Club).

It is an enthusiasm that is rewarded by some great blends, and Nottingham Blend was, I think, the first and quickly established itself. It's a complex blend, with lots going on, and if I had to compare it to something I would perhaps suggest Dunhill's Standard Mixture, but with more 'oomph' (and this is said as a compliment). The oriental is there in the background, but doesn't overpower, while what I assume is the cigar leaf (Cuban I believe) gives it a nice spicey fullness.

A nice 'all day' blend, and one that I am always very happy to come back to as it never disappoints. 3 1/2 stars from me - on the basis that I would give 4 stars to Gauntley's Christmas blend!