A delightful blend of Rich Burleys, Tangy Virginias and the world famous Green River black Cavendish. Expertly created by master blenders, this exceptional blend is extremely mild, yet still satisfying.

BrandBackwoods
Packaging1.5 OZ pouch
Strength
Taste
Very Pleasant, Pleasant
2.6
west77 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
west77 (2)

When I used to travel more I would stop at a small shop just across the U.S boarder and pick up a package of backwoods cigars for the trip. I believe that the tobacco they put in a package for a pipe is the exact blend that they stuff in their cigars. This blend is recommended providing you realize that while it is, overall, quite good for an aromatic, there are some substantial shortcomings.

On the odd occasion when I deviate from my regular mixtures and pack a bowl of an aromatic tobacco I have a preference for a cheaper "durgstore" brand (usually it would be Captain Black.) I prefer to loose the pretense and recognize that instead of smoking a fine English blend where the quality of numerous fine tobaccos marry and produce the final result, you are experiencing the flavours as the master blender (rather than nature) intended. This blend fits the bill. In the near future I plan to try a few more aromatics, but I have never really enjoyed them as much as other blends.

Don't get me wrong- there is a definite sweet note of the Virginia's and the Cavendish that shows through... but you absolutely taste and smell the flavours that were added. Those same compounds also contribute to a wonderful aroma in the pouch (that, regrettably, does not quite completely translate to taste when lit) and a great room note. There are vanillas and cherry in addition to sweet honey that are easily identifiable.

The blend packs well, smokes dry, and leaves a very fine grey ash. Overall, I find it to be a slightly boring bowl as there are not the subtle changes over the course of time... the first 1/3 has pretty much the same same taste as the last 1/3. I have only two pipes dedicated to aromatics, and I think I prefer the smaller one as I loose interest part way through the bowl of a large pipe.

The rating for "recommended" might have been higher but for the sticky substance that the smoke left around the top of the bowl. Anytime the smoke leaves a sticky substance on rim I wonder what it is leaving in my lungs as well as on the walls and the ceiling.

Overall, it is not a bad blend. Perhaps it is a better blend for the summer when you are sitting around a campfire with friends and talking. Winter blends should be more full and interesting; smoked around a fireplace while relaxing.

Very Mild Mild to Medium Mild Very Pleasant

The black and golden cavendish provide some vanilla and a touch of honey. The topping is a mild vanilla and caramel, though they sublimate much of the tobacco taste. The flavor is fairly pleasant and comfortably smooth and creamy, but doesn't stand out much. Needs a bit of dry time, and will still leave some moisture in your bowl due to the amount of PG used. Burns fairly cool at a moderate pace, but will require some few relights. Nice room note. Okay for a mindless all day smoke.

Toasterbottom Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Toasterbottom (13)
Mild Mild to Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

Okay, so it's not a very sophisticated tobacco and you won't find subtle, changing layers of flavour here, but it's consistently flavourful to the end and I really like it! Mind you, I'm not a terribly sophisticated pipe smoker. And I'm not sure that I actually taste any tobacco, either. It's like smoking a dessert! There's a sweet vanilla and honey taste to it and the smoke seems almost ... sticky sweet like honey. Some people might find it cloying. I bought some on a lark at my local BM while picking up my first Missouri Meerschaum pipe (the "Legend") and I've decided that this is all I'm going to smoke in the corncob. And, frankly, I'd be careful about putting this stuff in your favourite and/or expensive briar because it's going to ghost the pipe. I guarantee it. The guy who runs the store where I bought this tobacco seemed almost confused by my choice (as he was the purchase of the corncob pipe) but I think of it like a simple, guilty pleasure akin to drinking a Dr. Pepper. :)

Update: can't find this stuff anywhere online, which means I've got to buy it at the B&M where I live and pay stupid money for it. Yet, after getting through half a pouch, I think I'll buy it again. Though, just to keep things in perspective, I wouldn't call this my favourite tobacco by any stretch. It's just a fun alternative.

Pipe Used: Missouri Meerschaum Legend

Purchased From: Red Smoke 824 Danforth Avenue, Toronto, ON M4J 1L6 (647) 351-2332 www.redsmoke.ca

Pootz Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pootz (4)

I used to smoke the Backwoods cigars while fly fishing rather than risk dropping my meerschaums or Petersons in the river. The cigars impressed me as being stuffed with a natural aromatic pipe tobacco, so when I saw some at the local tobacco shop, I thought I'd try some. Packed in a pipe I dedicate to aromatics, it lit well, and smoked mild and sweetish at first, second light you get some berry fruitiness, notes of honey and fragrant vanilla tones riding on a nice nutty natural base. Smokes well to the last 1/3. Not over-powering fragrance or taste, actually a very demure aromatic but pleasant to enjoy on a warm summer porch with a chilled Beaujolais or hefeweizen.

Lovin Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Lovin (2)
Medium to Strong Very Strong Full Very Pleasant

These are hard to come by where I'm from. But it is probably the best tasting and smelling tobacco I've tried. The room note is amazing. And the price is reasonable.If this was organic id smoke always.